home
RSS
My Take: How evangelicals could grow to love Muslims
The Islamic Center of America, a mosque in Dearborn, Michigan.
August 18th, 2012

My Take: How evangelicals could grow to love Muslims

Editor's Note: Eboo Patel is founder and president of Interfaith Youth Core. His new book is called "Sacred Ground: Pluralism, Prejudice and the Promise of America."

By Eboo Patel, Special to CNN

Paul Ryan has set off joyous cheers in the land of conservatives largely because of his fiscal views but also because of his Catholic faith.

He is just the most recent member of his church – think House Speaker John Boehner, Republican runner-ups Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, and Supreme Court justices Samuel Alito and Antonin Scalia – to be viewed as a flag-bearer for the conservative cause, a movement whose foot soldiers are largely evangelical Protestants.

The dynamic of evangelicals cheering for Catholics is one of the most stunning shifts in American political history. Just 50 years ago, evangelicals were ringing the alarm about the rising prominence of Catholics in American politics, not falling in line behind them.

“Our freedom, our religious freedom, is at stake if we elect a member of the Roman Catholic order as president of the United States,” Norman Vincent Peale told a conference of evangelical leaders in September 1960.

Materials handed out at the Peale conference claimed ‘Universal Roman Catholicism’ was both a religion and a political force whose doctrines were ultimately incompatible with the American ideals of freedom, equality and democracy.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And the conference's keynote address alleged that Catholics practiced “mental reservation,” which allowed them to lie about their intentions in order to gain power. And when they succeeded, they would make second-class citizens of everyone else.

Replace “Roman Catholic” with “Muslim” and “Church hierarchy” with “caliphate” in those pronouncements and today we are witnessing a similar energy directed against a different faith community using largely the same categories.

In today’s parlance, Kennedy was part of a stealth jihad meant to replace the U.S. Constitution with sharia law and practicing taqqiyya to mask this dawa offensive.

As they believed about Catholicism then, many evangelicals now view the very nature of Islam as incompatible with American values. Evangelicals rate Muslims lower on a "‘favoribility" scale than any other religious group, according to "American Grace," a book by scholars Robert Putnam and David Campbell.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Evangelical churches are favorite venues for Islamophobic speakers and prominent evangelical leaders like Franklin Graham regularly call Islam a threat to America.

It is easy to draw a straight line between the evangelical anti-Catholic prejudice of previous generations and the Islamophobia of today, essentially saying that “evangelicals have to hate someone.”

But that’s too cynical a take for me. The more interesting - and certainly more hopeful - storyline is the one about change.

Evangelical attitudes changed markedly towards Catholics in the past generation, and they are changing towards Muslims now.

Without doubt, the evangelical shift on Catholics can be partially explained by the two religion traditions finding common cause on political issues like abortion. But in "American Grace," Putnam and Campbell point to what they believe is a more important reason.

Over the course of the past fifty years, more evangelicals got to meet Catholics and the warmth in those personal relationships became generalized towards the larger community. If your Pal Al is Catholic and a good guy, then by extension Catholics as a group and Catholicism as a religion have some good qualities.

This is precisely the dynamic taking place between evangelicals and Muslims, a story for me best illustrated by a Dallas-based pastor named Bob Roberts. Bob grew up in the 1960s in East Texas and remembers the Pope regularly being referred to as “the Great Whore of Babylon” in his father’s Southern Baptist church.

He absorbed the anti-Catholic prejudice along with everyone else. But when he went on service trips to Southeast Asia as an adult, he discovered that the people doing the most intense, committed development work were inevitably Catholic. At first he admired them from afar. Then he got to know some up close, and they turned out to be not so bad.

After September 11, 2001, the anti-Muslim feeling was open and intense in Bob’s community. Truth be told, Bob felt it himself.

But he was self-aware enough to recognize the similarity between the irrational prejudice he absorbed about Catholics growing up and what he saw happening toward Muslims now.

So he did the same thing with Muslims that he’d done with Catholics: get to know them personally through common projects. Bob has traveled everywhere from Afghanistan to Gaza to do interfaith service projects with Muslims.

And now he is bringing fellow evangelicals along and involving the members of his Dallas mega-church in local interfaith projects. He’s speaking to young evangelical leaders about the importance of building relationships with Muslims as a Christian practice.

I know because in the midst of the opposition to the so-called Ground Zero mosque a couple years ago, a young pastor came to my office and asked me to guest preach about Islam at his evangelical church. He told me that Bob had sent him.

This is how communities change. Evangelicals make up 40% of America – when they change, America changes.

Maybe in 50 years, there will be no surprise when the loudest cheerleaders for Muslim presidential candidates and Supreme Court justices are evangelical Christians.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Eboo Patel.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,441 Responses)
  1. Let's All Agree

A few questions should help shed light on the relationship between Evangelicals, Islam and ational thought.

The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:

(a) Children’s fairytales;

(b) Medieval mythology;

(c) New age pseudo science; or

(d) Christianity and Islam

I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am

(a) a delusional schizophrenic;

(b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly

(c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or

(d) your average Christian or Muslim

Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:

(a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;

(b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;

(c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or

(d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.

I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am

(a) A victim of child molestation

(b) A r.ape victim trying to recover

(c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions

(d) A Christian or Muslim

You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:

(a) historian;

(b) geologist;

(c) NASA astronomer; or

(d) Christian or Muslim

I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am

(a) A failed psychologist

(b) A fraudulent geneticist

(c) A sociologist who never went to college; or

(d) A Muslim or Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.

The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:

(a) Architecture;

(b) Philosophy;

(c) Archeology; or

(d) Religion – and which particular faith excels at it?

What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:

(a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they must believe under threat of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;

(b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is one god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;

(c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or

(d) All of the above.

If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals, taking away my wife’s independence and femininity, or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:

(a) a deep psychiatric issue;

(b) an irrational fear or phobia;

(c) a severe mental degeneration caused by years of drug abuse; or

(d) my religious belief.

August 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
  2. islam is so funny

Tabari I:281 "I heard him swear by Allah unequivocally, 'As long as Adam was in his right mind, he would never have eaten from the tree. Eve gave him wine and got him drunk. She led him to the tree."
    Tabari I:267 "And Allah taught Adam all the names as follows: He taught him the name of everything, down to fart and little fart."
    Bukhari:V1B4N137 "Allah's Apostle said, 'The prayer of a person who does Hadath (passes urine, stool or wind) is not accepted till he performs ablution.'"
    Bukhari:V1B4N139 "I asked Allah's Apostle about a person who imagined they passed wind during prayer. He replied: 'He should not leave his prayer unless he hears sound or smells something.'"
    Bukhari:V1B4N156 "The Prophet said, 'Whenever anyone makes water he should not hold his penis or clean his private parts with his right hand. While drinking, one should not breathe in the utensil.'"
    Bukhari:V1B4N163 "The Prophet said, 'Whoever cleans his private parts with stones should do it with an odd number of stones. And whoever wakes up should wash his hands before putting them in the water for ablution. Nobody knows where his hands were during sleep.'"
    Bukhari:V1B4N174 "During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle dogs used to urinate and pass through the mosque. Nevertheless they never used to sprinkle water on it."

August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  3. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I drank a gallon of seminal fluid for breakfast. Thanks dad!!

August 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Rufus

The piper should have forced his dirty wife to have an abortion. Then we would not have to read your inane, childish comments all the time. I guarantee you this Tom Tom tard has never been laid.

August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Blondie

Thank GOD a voice of reason...

August 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Awww, whatsamatter? Didn't get breast-fed by your momma?

August 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • toad

Probably it's being breastfed by its mama even now.

August 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Colin

Tough crowd today.

August 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

The trolls are out in force. Or maybe just one very enthusiastic troll.

August 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Really-O?

I attribute my shortcomings to my mother teasing me with the breast and then giving me the bottle. You may quote me.

August 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • islam is so funny

Actually, he is breastfed by his sow mother!

August 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • St. Peter

Little hijacker troll dude,

Keeping a list... checking it twice

1. Stealing
      2. Maligning the character of another (Lying)
      3. Coveting the fame of another
      4. Not keeping "holy" the "LORD'S" day
      5. Impure thoughts and words

"Jesus" says, "No Get-Out-of-Jail-Free" card for you...

August 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  4. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think we should round up all the muslims.

August 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think we should round up all the juveniles. Starting with you, Brophy.

August 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Round up the evangelicals also, while you're at it...

August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  5. islam is so funny

Bukhari:V6B61N550 "The Prophet said, 'It is a bad thing some of you say,"I have forgotten such-and-such verse of the Qur'an." For truly, I have been caused by Allah to forget it. So you must keep on reciting the Qur'an because it escapes faster than a runaway camel.'"
    Tabari I:299 "Scholars of the nation of our Prophet say, 'The tree which Allah forbade Adam and his spouse to eat was wheat.'"
    Tabari I:321 "When Eve became heavy with her first pregnancy, Satan came to her before she gave birth and said, 'Eve, what is that in your womb?' She said, 'I do not know.' He asked, 'Where will it come out from-your nose, your eye, or your ear?' She replied, 'I do not know.'"
    Tabari I:299 "It was the cover of fingernails that had kept their secret parts concealed."
    Tabari I:275 "Satan wanted to meet them in Paradise, but the keepers prevented him from entering. He went to a snake, an animal with four feet like a camel. Satan tried to persuade it to let him enter its mouth and take him to Adam. The snake agreed, passed by the keepers, and entered without their knowledge, because that was Allah's plan."
    Tabari I:278 "Adam went inside the tree to hide. Eve cut the tree and it bled. Then feather that covered Adam and Eve dropped off. So Allah said, 'Now Eve, as you caused the tree to bleed, you will bleed every new moon, and you, snake, I will cut off your feet and you will walk slithering on your face.'"
    Tabari I:279 "It was a tree which made whoever ate from it defecate. But there must be no faeces in Paradise."

August 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  6. YouPeopleAreSick

Seriously, so much racist hate speech on this blog. Does CNN give a f+k?

August 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Keely S

Unfortunately no. Sociopaths like "midwest rail" are carte blanc when it comes to posting his terrible ideas. I hope he reassesses his life someday.

August 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's "carte blanche", you fvcktard, and it's "HAVE" not "IS".

Do you have trouble figuring out how to walk up steps?

August 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's horrible to read, but I'd rather know what is going on in the minds of my fellow Americans than to blindly believe that bigotry no longer exists.

August 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • JWT

I cannot think of any poor posts made by midwest – you are mistaken.

August 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Keely's a troll. It's used multiple names to post the same crap because it's mentally challenged and doesn't have a job.

August 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • toad

Carte blanche? He deserves a carton jaune?

August 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

No. CNN has subcontracted its monitoring to the world's most idiotic nannybot, which has proved to be completely incapable of learning from its many mistakes. The ONLY relief we'll get from trolls is if we totally bomb their posts with "Report Abuse", and even then it's not all that likely that CNN will do anything about it.

Face it: Would YOU take the job monitoring these conversations? It'd be a secular version of hell.

August 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  7. Arvoasitis

Just as Protestantism began not an attack on Catholicism but an attempt to return to the "truths" that Catholicism had strayed from, so too Islam began not as an attack but as an attempt to return to beliefs that Judaism and Christianity had strayed from. There are challenges in getting "Muslim thought" to conform to American cultural standards, especially as regards the status and rights of women, but the challenges need not be insurmountable.

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

What's the difference? They're all in the promotion of ignorance business... persuading the feeble-minded to run their lives in accordance with ancient fairy-tales... patheric...

August 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  8. Anon

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 7:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not
    come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you".

"Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the
    Greek word Periclytos. In the Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, and 16:7. The word 'Comforter' is used in the English translation for the Greek word Paracletos which means advocate or a kind friend rather than a comforter.
    Paracletos is the warped reading for Periclytos. Jesus (pbuh) actually prophesised Ahmed by name. Even the
    Greek word Paraclete refers to the Prophet (pbuh) who is a mercy for all creatures.

Some Christians say that the Comforter mentioned in these prophecies refers to the Holy Sprit. They fail to realise
    that the prophecy clearly says that only if Jesus (pbuh) departs will the Comforter come. The Bible states that the
    Holy Spirit was already present on earth before and during the time of Jesus (pbuh), in the womb of Elizabeth, and again when Jesus (pbuh) was being baptised, etc. Hence this prophecy refers to none other than Prophet
    Muhammad (pbuh).

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Every cake is a miraculous fulfillment of a prophecy called a recipe.

Thus spake Saint Betty Crocker (pb&j).

August 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • islam is so funny

Creative writing is down the hall.
      Here is what allah says for real:
      Qur'an 5:33 "The punishment for those who wage war against Allah and His Prophet and make mischief in the land, is to murder them, crucify them, or cut off a hand and foot on opposite sides...their doom is dreadful. They will not escape the fire, suffering constantly."

August 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  9. JJ (Johnson and Johnson)

Tell the muslims to get out of US and dont forget they have to take also Julian Assange to teach them freedom of speech since there is none in muslim countries.

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  10. midwest rail is a loser

midwest rail, why don't you just end it all? No one likes you. No one.

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor you. Midwest rail must have busted your puny azz.

August 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • midwest rail

Thanks Tom, Tom. Can't wait to pound your butthole later.

August 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor little troll. It's so sad because school is about to begin and it's going to be repeating 3rd grade for the 6th time. Or is it 6th grade for the 3rd time?

August 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  11. toad

How everyone can grow to love Muslims: First kill off all the males. Even a cursory look at Muslims shows that their problems originate with the males.

August 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • islam is so funny

Muslim men are told they are the best and look at what allah tells them about women:
      Tabari IX:113 "Allah permits you to shut them in separate rooms and to beat them, but not severely. If they abstain, they have the right to food and clothing. Treat women well for they are like domestic animals and they possess nothing themselves. Allah has made the enjoyment of their bodies lawful in his Qur'an."
      Tabari I:280 "Allah said, 'It is My obligation to make Eve bleed once every month as she made this tree bleed. I must also make Eve stupid, although I created her intelligent.' Because Allah afflicted Eve, all of the women of this world menstruate and are stupid."

August 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  12. NYOMD

Nickleback is my favorite band. That's who I am.

August 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • NYOMD

Some @h0le stole my handle and wrote this. I am not a Nickleback fan. CNN does not care about internet security it seems.

August 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • coco

Wow, not only are your comments childish and ill thought out, you apparently have bad taste in music as well.

August 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  13. midwest rail

The path to self actualization is through anallingus.

August 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • JJ (Johnson and Johnson)

midwest rail: the first test of anallingus. is your muslim momma...

August 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Johnson, do you often experiment with your mother? Are you projecting again?

August 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  14. NYOMD

So many hideous trolls out trolling today. The so-called religious folk are doing this on a Sunday of all days. Shame on all of you.

August 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  15. David

There is a HUGE glaring difference between the Catholics of the 1960's and the Islamists of today. Catholics weren't launching terror campaigns in nation after nation all over the world, implementing increasingly strict theocratic rule where ever they had power, executing apostates, and denying the most basic of human rights to women and all non-Catholics in general. And if there were isolated incidents to point to, they were not supported by leading Catholic heirarchy and schools of jurisprudence, as is the case with Islamic supremacism today.

To pretend these problems are primarly an issue of our 'racist' misunderstanding of an essentially benevolent ideology, and that there aren't fundemental doctinal issues to be addressed in Islam, is to whitewash and obscure the very real existential threat that women, non-Muslims, secularists, and truely moderate Muslims face on a daily basis throughout the Islamic (and increasingly in the Western) world. In your rush to submit to (or co-opt?) these nuclear-armed medieval thugs, you are throwing under the bus and casting as illegitimate all resistance to such submission.

We've seen how the mainstream media nonchalantly threw freedom of speech under the bus over such trivial things as cartoon parodies, went about rationalizing such submissions to terror, then started marginalizing the defenders of Western Elightenment as "Islamophobes". We no longer trust the MSM, and we no longer trust 'outreach' orginizations that can't tell apples from oranges.

August 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  16. JJ (Johnson and Johnson)

They have to send Julian Assange to middle east (the backwater countries) to teach them about freedom of speech !! and how to hack internet wkwkwkkwkwkwkwkw

August 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  17. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I beat off to old holocaust footage every day.

August 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Some trolls never die

The kids are at it again.

August 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Patrick

Your little brother must thank allah!

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's raining and they have to find something to do whilst waiting to ja@k off again.

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • islam is so funny

Well you could always do your baba again!

August 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  18. TSB8C

You can't love a religion that advocates killing all non-members.

August 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • David

Read the Biblical passages about killing the infidels and then get back to me. Or were you talking about the Bible?

August 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Close. I'd state it more efficiently as "You can't love a religion."

August 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • islam is so funny

Qur'an 66:1 "O Prophet! Why forbid yourself that which Allah has made lawful to you? You seek to please your consorts. And Allah is Forgiving, Most Kind. Allah has already sanctioned for you the dissolution of your vows."
      Bukhari:V4B52N143 "The Prophet told an Ansar, 'Choose one of your slave boys to serve me in my expedition to Khaybar.' So, he chose me, even though I was just nearing puberty. I served Muhammad when he stopped to rest. I heard him saying repeatedly, 'Allah! I seek refuge with you from distress and sorrow, from helplessness and laziness, from miserliness and cowardice, from being heavily in debt and from being overcome by men.'"
      Qur'an 8:29 "O you who believe! If you obey and fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion to judge between right and wrong, or a way to overlook your evil thoughts and deeds."
      Ishaq:288 "The Quraysh said, 'Muhammad and his Companions have violated the sacred month, shed blood, seized property, and taken men captive. Muhammad claims that he is following obedience to Allah, yet he is the first to violate the holy month and to kill.'"
      Qur'an 8:68 "Had it not been for a previous agreement from Allah, a severe penalty would have reached you for the (ransom) that you took as booty."

August 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  19. wjeri

10% of Muslims are Terrorists.

August 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • David

where did you get that number?

August 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

82.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

August 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • David

To RichardRussel: Yours is the best post I've read all day. thanks for the laugh mate! lol

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • tallulah13

My dad used to make up statistics all the time. It was kind of embaras.sing.

August 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

David: Wish I could claim it was original, but the only thing that was actually mine was the "82.4%" part.

August 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  20. Insider

I will love Muslims when either they leave the USA or when their religion is outlawed as sedicous to the sovrenty and safety of this country.

August 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • David

How is islam anymore threatening to democracy than christianity or judaism? The founding fathers even new that religion is a threat to liberty.

August 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Manda

In other words, you will not be happy until we throw the US Constitution out the window.

August 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

You DO know, don't you, that the Alien and Sedition Acts, enacted under John Adams, were widely castigated as unconst¡tutional and unAmerican? Not to mention a disgraceful affront to liberty? And totally ineffectual to boot? And that they expired in 1801?

August 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • islam is so funny

RichardSRussell
      blah blah blah with no proof.

August 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm |