home
RSS
August 21st, 2012

A look into Romney's religion

(CNN)–For many voters, getting to know Mitt Romney as a candidate also means sorting out facts from fiction about Mormonism.  CNN's Gary Tuchman reports.

Watch Anderson Cooper 360° weeknights 10pm ET. For the latest from AC360° click here.

1. moronism

How many wives Romney has off the record? Does anyone know?

August 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Belle

What a strange thing to say – he has one wife and has only ever had one wife. No one in the Mormon church has more than one spouse, it's against the law and against the religion. You must be thinking of the reformed Mormon church, which isn't affiliated in any way with the church Romney belongs to – it's that other church that has the families like on Big Love – not the Mormon religion.

August 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • E

Polygamy was conveniently abandoned temporarily because it stood in the way of Utah statehood. Mormons know that polygamy will be restored when they establish their kingdom of Zion on Earth, and polygamy is allowed in the celestial kingdom.

August 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

A Mormon male can have as many "spirit wives" as he desires, but a Mormon woman may be bound only to one man.

August 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • DandyStryker

Belle wrote: "No one in the Mormon Church has more than one spouse, it's against the law and against the religion."

That's simply not true, from the LDS perspective. Mormons believe in "eternal marriage" and they continue to "seal" multiple women to one man in their temples. The only rule is that only one woman can be alive at one time (to keep it legal) - but from a theological point of view, they are literally marrying multiple women to one man. At least one of the church's ruling "apostles" is a polygamist - Dallin Oaks has been sealed to two wives.

What a strange religion Mormonism is - where the apologists lie so brazenly about the church's doctrines.

August 23, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  2. chico zorinski

Listen, first of all Mormonism is Not a religion in the terms of the definition. it's simply a cult, and if you don't have the gusts to call it what it is , like the political correct media, then you too are all one in the same. NO GUSTS.

it he wins he will be the first President on modern times to not belong to a religion. What's so ridiculous is its the only hateful cult that every existed toward other races. See Mormon book before 1978. The blogger above is correct. Joseph Smith was know to be a drunk and many other things. It's a fact! whether you want to believe it or not.

PS. i was one of them until 1987

August 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Rational Libertarian

How is it less of a religion than any other?

August 22, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • E

Of course it's a cult. Joseph Smith said repeatedly (as did Brigham Young, Joseph Fielding Smith and other church leaders) that a person could not achieve salvation through Jesus Christ, they must also follow the teachings of Joseph Smith. He was very clear on this point. According to Mormons, Christians do not get salvation.

August 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Chaz

Look at the origins of Mormonism. Joseph Smith was arrested out east as a conman. In the small town of Carthage Illinois Joseph Smith was shot and killed. It seems he was messing with married women, trying to raise an army, and his followers were stealing cattle. When a local paper called him out, Smith and his followers broke into the paper and destroyed the printing press. Smith was put in jail for his own protection, but the townspeople broke in and shot him dead. Smith invented the Mormon "religion" to put a pious face on his greed and lust. But wait religion is off the table, right? Wrong. People have questioned Obama's religion, birthplace, and even his species, so forget that! It's time that Romney stops getting a free ride on this. There are legitimate concerns about having a high ranking official from the Mormon church sitting in the White House and it needs to be brought out into the light.

August 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • dongszkie

cult or not, it's still a religion 'coz religion comes from religare w/c means a form of worship. when one acknowledge a deity and subject himself to it then that one has a form of worship so has a religion. the issue w/ romney is not about religion, but his qualification as manager of the united states of america. can he manage? can he lead the country?

August 23, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  3. Jim

I wish we could get over this religion thing in out society – but since we can't, let me tell you my experience of growing up in Salt Lake City. Mormonism is about exclusivity. From the moment your genitals are anointed, and you slip on garments in the Temple, it's all about who's in. What this inclusivity leads to is exclusivity – whether you like it or not. If you don't know how to start a conversation with, 'Hello, I'm Jim, Valley View Sixth Ward"... your out. If you aren't wearing a shirt that you can see through and have everyone notice your wearing Jesus Jumpers – your out. In addition, as a kid, the only after school sports in Salt Lake City during the 80's, was playing sports for a Ward. And guess what? You get to wear a different color jersey, because you can only have so many non-members on the field or court at a time. So I guess you have to ask yourself, do we really want someone who grew up excluding classes and genders in the White House?

August 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Senior

I won't try to second-guess Jim's motivations here, but for those who are reading please know a couple of things. Jim refers to "genital anointing" in the temple. That simply doesn't happen, and never has in my 40 years of going to Mormon temples. I have also playing LDS sports for nearly 50 years and I have NEVER seen a limitation on the number of non-LDS players allowed on the field or court at a time - never seen those "different colored jerseys" to which Jim refers. Again, I don't know what Jim is trying to say here, but think about this logically: if Jim did indeed wear one of those "different colored jerseys" which he claims non-LDS players were forced to wear, that means he wasn't LDS, right? So how on earth would he know what goes on inside LDS temples, since only active members are allowed to go inside? I'm just sayin'.

August 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Belle

I think the same could be said for a lot of groups – people who've attended the same school, are from the same area, are the same race or gender, etc... At the end of the day, it's individuals who create exclusivity not the religion – I've known plenty of very inclusive Mormons, and I've known some that it doesn't matter what their religion they just aren't folks I don't care to know. I don't think it's the religion, I think it's just people.

August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Heath

i wish we could all see past our dif religion problem it makes no sense as to why this is still a problem. church and state are apart for a reason. if we wanted religion to play a factor we would put people in office who were ministers or something not the people who know the laws and hopefully how to run a country. i understand that people view it as a way to judge a person but at the end of the day theirs good and bad in all religions and theirs nothing we can do about that. we should spend more time looking at what these people have done and what they say they want to do.

August 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Jim

@Senior, my motivations are just to relay my experiences as a young man growing up in SLC. And I do apologize for not being more specific in my first posting...it's not the genitals themselves that are anointed, it's the area around the genitals...and as far as the jersey goes, it was the trim that was different – Valley View Sixth Ward had white jersey's with green trim, and mine was a white jersey with green and yellow trim. And when I enquired as to why my trim was different, I was told by the coach, he could only play 2 non-members at a time.

August 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Greg

Well, I have to say Jim that definitely isn't the experience I had. Of course, I grew up in the 90's, so maybe mormons acted different'y then? However, I live in Utah and I am not Mormon and I have only ever felt a sense of inclusion from them. Also, there definitely wasn't any rules about non mormons or different jerseys during church ball when I played. Of course, like I said, could just be different times, different places, but I have evidently had a completely different experience with my association with mormons.

August 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • DandyStryker

Senior wrote: "Jim refers to "genital anointing" in the temple. That simply doesn't happen,"

I first went to the temple in 1974. At that time, there was an ordinance called the "washing and anointing." In preparation for this ordinance, I removed all my clothing (buck naked). I was then given a white robe that was loose fitting (think hospital gown). During the washing and anointing, and old man put his hand under the robe and anointed various parts of my body, including my "loins." His hands didn't actual touch my genitals, but they easily might have. Look up the definition of genitals, Senior, if that word is confusing to you.

Although I went to the temple, served a mission, graduated from BYU, and married in the temple, I am now (thanks to science) free of the Mormon cult. I left several decades ago. I understand that the "washing and anointing" persisted in the temple ceremony until sometime in the 90s, when it was significantly modified (apparently, a lot of people objected to it).

What a strange religion, Mormonism is - where the apologists lie so brazenly about the church's doctrines.

August 23, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  4. A B Blair

I will have a hard time voting for Romney because he believes that Jesus Christ nd the devil are brothers from the same father god and that the god he believes in came from another unknown planet and was assigned to be the god of this planet by a council of gods from some other relam and era. If he, Romney, was married on the temple he plans of becoming a god of his own wprld one day. This is a cult and I do not see God blessing our nation with a cult member leading it.

August 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Jeremy Olson

Just because somebody believes differently than you does not make it a cult. By the way, I am mormon and have been all my life. I would not however explain my beliefs the way you just did. What you just did is the same thing the libs to to concervatives, you took something and totally twisted its meaning into something that in no way shape or form resembles the truth. I am sure you look at my religion in this way, however, I can tell you for sure you have it all twisted up and wrong. Why would a loving Father not want his children to grow up and have everything He has. Apparently you believe in a God that is prideful and egotistical because he would want to keep us down and elevate Himself above us...see the twisting can go both ways my friend.

August 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  5. Jeremy Olson

Religion is a matter of faith. Any religion can be mocked when it is not understood or looked at through the eyes of faith. Faith is not a sure knoweledge of things, it is a hope, belief in something that cannot be seen but is true.

August 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Which God?

@ Jeremy. HOW do you KNOW it's true? Do you have PROOF, and not from some man written book? You did the research and found god? Where was s/he/it? Here on earth? kolob? Jupiter? Someone told you? You thought it through logically? A space god did this? Get real. Religion is a man made construct. It is not divine in any sense, nor is there a divine being guiding us.

August 23, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  6. Phufe

We all maintain a level of belief in something that can't be proven. Each of us believe different in that we are willing to die for that believe yet the belief is merely faith. Whether the belief is in a God or Big Bang or Evolution, it is our personal belief and one we are free to express as we desire; see First Amendment. It is as inappropriate to criticize any religion as it is to chastise an author for the thoughts he expresses in a book. Each individuals belief; although, not in agreement, must be respected. All of you have broken the most sacred of what is in question and that is the First Amendment. Sure it is nice to preach it but to stand behind it and respect it is lost by the constant persecution and out right disgust you have for those with different beliefs. Am I in the United States or is this Russia? It is about the man and not his beliefs. It is about what the man has done in his previous leadership roles. It is about the job he is doing and if it is desireable. None of us adhere 100% to the teachings of our specific church but we maintain an association based on a common belief and remain because the inner faith derived from the organization satifies those beliefs one maintains. Take a good look at yourself and what you believe then look at someone else and try and realize that they may find what you believe is way off the wall then how you would feel if that person was openly critical of your belief then persecuted you to prevent you from following that belief. Hypocrites you all so be. BTW: I am a Catholic. Not practicing but believe in the basis of the church.

August 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Primewonk

Understanding evolution or the big bang is most certainly NOT a belief.

Yes, everyone has the right to believe in whatever religious nuttery they want. They problems arise when these folks decide everyone should believe the same nuttery as they do, and try and force those bizarre religious beliefs into our laws, constîtution, and science classes.

August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  7. jim terwiliger

Joseph Smith was a convicted con artist & Brigham young was a tyrant.

Excpect more of that if you vote Mitt in

August 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Jeremy Olson

By your logic we should also discount Jesus for he was also a convicted felon, sentenced to die by crusifixtion, or have you forgotten that part?

August 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

There is a huge differece though. Joseph Smith was real.

August 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • E

TRUTH

August 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  8. mrmikerogers

All religion is false. It's ALL a load of nonsense and toxic little fairy tales. Grow up, people!

August 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

R'amen!

August 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • E

Religions are not equally dangerous, however.

August 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  9. Mike

Why is Mitt Romney's religion even an issue? Obama attended a church that professed white hate for 20 years. His father and mother believed in the radical Muslim faith. Oh I guess that's not an issue? It's ironic that Mitt Romney's religion is an issue while parts of many countries in the Middle East burn, and Coptic Christians are being killed and exiled in Egypt and Syria just to name a few place. All by the radical Muslim extremist President Obama and Hillary Clinton helped put in power in these regions. I guess CNN thinks this must be a good thing since it's never covered on their network!!!!

August 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

It's an issue because, more than most flavors of xtianity, they believe in some incredibly silly things. Do you really want a leader of a country to believe in things that aren’t real? It’s too bad we don’t have a truly rational thinker in office.

August 22, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • sanchosotomayor

The Issue ~ Mitt Romney CULTure

TRUTH or CONSEQUENCES

Mitt Romney recently accused President Obama of skewing Truth, yet no creditable archeologist has found prove that supports claims made in the Book of Mormon.

Mormons believe that ancient Central Americans possessed the wheel. Today we know of the existence of Mayan Roads, but none are scoured by wheel ruts!

Other questions surround Joseph Smith's interpretation of Egyptian papyrus, that he attributed to Abraham.

Apparently Mitt Romney believes in skewing the Truth, by preaching the words of Joseph Smith, the 'Prophet of Science Fiction'.

ONLINE [See Also]

Joseph Smith: America's Hermetic Prophet – The Gnosis Archive

The Lost Book of Abraham video – Home {controversy}

August 22, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • Nathan

What does it matter. We have a President that attended a church headed up by a racist who hates whites and jews.

August 22, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • just because

IT MATTERS BECAUSE ROMNEY PROFESSES,as a mormon to believe things that include patent balserdash, like Native Americans being the 12 lost tribes of Israel, among other quaint beliefs.

Romney can believe whatever nonsense he likes, but hopefully, a POTUS is a little less credulous than that.

August 22, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Linksteroh

It's important because of the fact he is a Bishop in the Church. We have never elected a President who was that high up in the Church leadership. I would hope that in Mr. Romney's case that he would not base decisions on Church teachings however, I think it is important his beliefs and how it shape his life and most likely would influence his decisions.
      After all Obama's pastor in Chicago was surely scrutinized by everyone, even though the Obama's didn't attend that often.

August 22, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • C. Houser

Mike, you say that religion shouldn't be an issue and then, in the same sentence, attack the religion of your opponent. THAT'S WHY IT'S AN ISSUE! If you don't want religion to be an issue, then why don't you stop screaming about it. Since that's not going to happen, why don't you at lease look into the history of the Mormon faith? It was founded by a man who openly stated that the U.S. government should be subservient to the Mormon church, and who ran for President of this country on that platform. He was shot, in Illinois, after trying to claim part of Illinois as his own country. The foundation of the Mormon faith, at its inception, was hatred for the U.S. government, and that scares me.

August 22, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Mass Debater

Thankfully only a handful of n u t jobs like Mike believe any of that b s. Only the hardc.ore racists hide behind both the "he's a muslim" and "he's a white hating christian" defense, because there is no other excuse for their ignorance. May you either get a proper education or please never breed so that you do not burden society with another empty head to feed.

August 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • sanchosotomayor

TRUTH or CONSEQUENCES (Updated)

Mitt Romney recently accused President Obama of skewing Truth, yet no creditable archeologist has found PROOF that supports claims made in the Book of Mormon.

ONLINE TRUTH for Beginners:

Archaeology and the Book of Mormon – From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

August 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • jim terwiliger

Mormons believe that Native americans came over from Israel.

August 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Jake-413451

@Linksteroh

You've piqued my interest. How many times can a person attend a church being led by a racist anti-Semite before it becomes meaningful?

Let's assume we found out some candidate was attending Sto.rmFr.ont meetings, how many are acceptable still. What if they only rarely attend, but do so over a 20 year time span, is that okay?

Okay, well what if they only do it for political expediency and don't actually agree with anything they are preaching. Would that be okay?

Is the best people can come up with are this Christian's beliefs aren't as kooky as that one's?

Maybe stop nominating all the fairy tale endorsed and endorsing candidates. Might not ensure a more rational President, but it seems unlikely to create a less rational one.

August 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Kimberper

The LDS church is very rich and powerful~ they would love to have a puppet in the White House~ that's why this topic is relevant. There is no separation of church and state with the LDS church.~ Look at how they funded Prop 8. It's not Christianity, it's a cult. THAT'S WHY THIS IS RELEVANT.

August 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Really

So we expect a person to have morals but not be religious. Morals are a direct product of one's religious beliefs or lack thereof. The morality of Western society is based on Judeo-Christian beliefs.
      The LDS church itself did not sponsor Prop8. Many mormons, catholics, and those of other faiths put their own money into the campaign. Or are you saying a person can only support something with their own money if they are not religious in any way?

August 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Im LDS

Kimbeper , I m hearing the "word acult alot " so here is the deffinition from the dictionary 1. "a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies. 2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult. 3.the object of such devotion. 4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. 5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

Now this sounds just like ever Church AKA religion ive ever heard of. Get informed use your own mind go too http://www.lds.org/?lang=eng Pray and Repent it work s

August 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  10. BunnyBunny

Romney believes when he dies he will become a God. Not see God. BE a God. .....That is a mighty big God complex.

August 22, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Rational Libertarian

I'd rather be a god than worship one.

August 22, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • sanchosotomayor

As man now is, God once was:
      As God now is, man may be.

—Lorenzo Snow, fifth LDS President (1840)

August 22, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • MormanBunny

Although I am not voting republican, I am a morman. when Romney dies he wont be God nor is he a educated preacher. Most people are uneducated about being a morman They are great people.

August 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  11. Fred Sanford

Attacking religion...typical libs. The new liberal progressive agenda is to destroy traditional morality in all forms. They believe that people are less than the animals on the planet are should be killed. With such ridiculous notions they also reject God, because how could we possibly be created in the image of something so magnificent. So they welcome abortion and mercy killings of people while rejecting the death penalty for those who would kill more people. They reject their parents' beliefs and act as though they are cave dwellers while they have never built anything of substance themselves as our forefathers did, but only destroy what has been built. They deride those who create anything, insisting that this abomination that they call government is responsible for all of it. And they ignore the will of the electorate, even those ignorant enough to vote for them, insisting they have mandates where none exist. No sane person, no moral person and no person with the appropriate measure of humility can possibly vote Democrat anymore.

August 22, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • midwest rail

One would hope that a diatribe as devoid of sense as this one is at least made you feel better.

August 22, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Jesse

They also eat babies and force little fuzzy bunnies to walk through hot coals. One time I saw a democrat drinking in a park that said no alcohol allowed. They don't poop instead they open their gut with a hot knife and pull the waste out with their bare hands. They sprayed graffiti on a statue of some guy who did something important for my town. Liberals will break into your house and sneak into your closet and watch you sleep. When you wake up in the morning they won't even make you breakfast.

August 22, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • C. Houser

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon faith ran for president in the 1840's. After he lost, he tried to set up his own "country" in Illinois and was promptly shot to death for his views. Why? His view was that the American Government should be subservient to the Mormon faith. I would normally agree that religion is not a valid issue, but when the foundation of a candidate's faith is the idea that the federal government should be subservient to the church, I do have issues with that. Further, conservatives have been calling Obama a Muslim for years, when they weren't judging him for the choice of Christian church he attended in Chicago. I don't like it that religion is a part of politics, but it does have a limited place in campaigns, and the Republicans opened the door by attacking Obama's faith, so I don't see it as unfair if voters question the faith of Mr. Romney.

August 22, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • pablo

But attacking religion is okay as long as that religion is Islam? Right?

August 22, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Joe Blowe Sr.

You just described the Republican Mantra.

August 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Joe B

Um Fred.... many of the forefathers were agnostic. Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin to name a couple. They were Deists at best. They didn't subscribe to the divinity of Christ. They saw the bible as corrupt by Paul...just as many Christians think about Mormonism. Morality may be going down the crapper, but your take on why is skewed.

August 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  12. AverageJoe76

What has more flavors; Baskin Robbins or the Christian-Judeo God?

(sigh) Face facts humans, and admit you couldn't possibly know anything about an intelligent creator of our universe (if it exists). Nor our ancestors. Cut strings to invisible things.

August 22, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Critical Thinker

...like gravity or string theory. It is similarly amazing to believe that we evolved from some primordial soup.

August 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • JB

Anyone who cuts strings to invisible things...lives in the dark. Take electricity for example.

August 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

LMAO. I think the Baskin-Robbins number of flavors has been somewhat constant, whereas, to me, Christianity, with all its built-in contradictions and craziness, lends itself to propagate more and more extreme variations. Christians have to jump fence, whenever necessary, to validate a point. They will often spout love with Jesus, then, when they feel threatened in any way, will find something completely contradictory to Jesus' teachings in some other part of that little "all by God" book and use that to wage war or defend their point.

If we have so many politicians, lobbyists, and other charlatans trying to affect our thinking about intangible things today and down through history – why in the world would someone believe that such swindling did not play into the formation of Christianity and the earliest churches – especially when the writings upon which that is based was hidden from common people for so long.

August 22, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

CT,

You need to change your moniker. You need to work on the thinking part.

Just becase you dont understand science doesnt mean that you have to be afraid of it.

August 22, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • AverageJoe76

@Critical Thinker – How'd you lump gravity in with 'things I doubt'? Or at least that's how it comes across. And at least the rules surrounding the 'primordial soup' have a cohesiveness that many of the Gods of Earth don't; Some proof it works. Scientists have been able to reproduce a 'soup' from some basic compounds. Roger that.

August 22, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • AverageJoe76

@JB – You give electricity, as an example, to 'invisible things'. Wow. I got nothing for you.

August 22, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Dan

@CT and JB, you honestly think that electricity and gravity and evolution are 'invisible' , with no proof? You clearly haven't even read a high school science text book. These concepts are not challenging to grasp. Your comparisons are completely invalid.

August 22, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Vetten76

I agree. Well said. Separation of God and State? I am not a believer and I treat people better than most Christians!

August 22, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  13. LossOfGravity

Far worse than not paying his Fair Share of taxes & hiding the fact, Mitt Romney, the Mormon Apostate & Paul Ryan, his Atheist loving acolyte are Corrupting Christianity by twisting its message from GOD is Love to God Loves GREED! Under his plan we may eventually achieve a balanced budget, but the Value of one of the Founding Principles of American Sensibility will have been irrevocably changed, for we will no longer be a God Fearing people with mutual ties to one another. A common ethic will no longer unite us and MONEY will exclusively define the American Character. How Ryan & Romney can face Christian Congregations with this Gospel of Greed is beyond me!

August 22, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • Huebert

You are aware that Paul Ryan is a Catholic right? Their are several articles on the front page of belief blog about Ryan's Catholicism.

August 22, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • BunnyBunny

Yes, Paul Ryan is Catholic. But, Catholic bishops have condemned Paul Ryan's budget & his persecution of the poor.

August 22, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Bill Deacon

August 22, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • CTwelve

Except of course his own Bishop, who patiently explains the Church and its Agents can only condemn in cases of Intrinsic Evil, which cannot apply to his positions, in any philosophical argument. His Bishop rightly acknowledges that there are many paths to social service, some of which are politically opposed and arouse strong passions; we are human, after all. Conflict is what we do, for good or ill. Knowing this, and knowing there many ways to the same Good Works, we must be accepting in thought, if the intent and means are pure.

tl;dr: Bishops condemning Ryan are thinking with their political heart, not their philosophical mind. And they aren't allowed to do the former.

August 22, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • Really

Why do we complain when someone who makes more money than we do tries to minimize the taxes they pay when each of us, each year, tries to get the largest refund possible? And often the most vocal in complaining pay no taxes whatsoever!
      It makes very little sense we cannot accept a candidate who is a very successful business person. How many people would complain about a very poor person who ran for president?

August 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • WASP

@Bill Deacon
      "What about 15 trillion in debt, a flat lined economy and reduced credit rating with near zero interest from the Fed do you not understand?"

ummm how about the part where george bush enacted legislation to give his buddies tax breaks, following the whole "trickle down effect"
      or maybe this one, when bush went into office clinton left bush with an amazing surplus of money, which bush inturn signed away in a "tax rebate" mind you if you did your research you would find ONLY people that had to PAY taxes that year.........now how many working class people pay taxes because they make too much? answer is NOT THAT MANY..........thus through logic we can figure out that all OUR EXTRA MONEY GOT HANDED TO THE REPULICANS SUPPORTERS.

next item up for bid; this lovely pair of wars along with big dollar no bid contracts handed out to KBR, Inc. (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) subsidary of halliburton whom the main leadership was known to be GOOD pals with our former VP.

finally most of the helpful actions obama has taken, were either blocked completely or chipped down so far as to pail in comparison with it's original intent leaving working class struggling under republican rich based ideals of how to run the country. 90% of this country isn't rich just so you know......that's leading to americans having to realize that we are being taxed without proper representation in our own government which was one of the reason we broke away from jolly ol' england.

August 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  14. .

Good descsription of hell – a bunch of devils dancing around and making fun of good people and sacred things. Why should I care? You people are beyond redemption and I have better things to do. Dance on devils!

August 22, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Huebert

If that is the best concept of hell you have I would say that you are unimaginative.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • ME II

Apparently you care enough to comment.

August 22, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Which God?

@. Oh, jesus h.Fooking smith. Devils. Get over yourself. We don't believe in devils, let alonr that thare is a sky-fairy, or a planet of gods called kolod. kolod? smitty made up such a ridiculous name. Why don't you folks believe in the Wizard of Oz? Truly, the wizard was written about in a book, so it must be real, right? BTW, I saw some golden penguins on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. They are right next to the replicas of the whale that swallowed jonah.

August 22, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  15. Kenny

August 22, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • Great Post

Great reference with the Dawkins and Krauss on the Mormon religion. This can be applied to all religions, but its funnier with the Mormon thing.

August 22, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  16. Kenny

The Mountain Meadows Massacre, a dark chapter in Mormon history.

August 22, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  17. Doc Vestibule

LDS Prophets have a history of conveniently timed "divine revelations".
    Lets look at the timeline regarding Mormons and Polygamy.
    1847 – Mormon settlers arrive in Utah (including Brigham Young)
    1850 – Utah application for statehood declined
    1856 – 2nd application for statehood declined due to the LDS admitting to practicing "twin relics of barbarism," slavery and polygamy
    1857 – President Madison sends troops to quell the rebellion in Utah amidst accusations of polygamy and other immorality. Mountain Meadow Massacre
    1858 – Young deposed as governor
    1862 – 3rd appliation for statehood denied. US Congress in the process of prohibiting plural marriage by federal statute.
    1871 – Young tried for polygamy
    1877 – Young tried for his part in the Mountain Meadow Massacre. Dies the same year.
    1879 – US congress upholds Morill law that bans polygamy
    1882 – Application for statehood denied as Utah failed to meet requirement of "a republican form of government"
    1880-89 – Various federal laws passed imposing penalties for polygamy. Ban of Polygamy an official requirement for entry into the Union.
    1890 – "Divine Revelation" comes to Mormon prophet Willford Woodruff in which he states that "my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriages forbidden by the law of the land."
    1896 – Application for statehood accepted

And examination of the repeal of the ban of dark skinned clergy is revealing as well.
    Up until 1978, the Mormons had opened few temples outside of teh United States – one in Alberta, Canada, one on England and one in Switzerland – all places that are lily white, demographically speaking.
    Then just as they open their first Temple in a land full of "cursed" people in Sao Paulo, Brazil – Spener Kimbal has a "divine revelation" that allows black clergy. Rather handily, just in time to start collecting those ever so important ti/thes from the Brazilians.

August 22, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • Greg

You forgot to mention that in the late seventies, the IRS was about to revoke the LDS "church" tax exempt status for not allowing people of color into their clergy. Funny...wouldn't Jesus be considered a person of color??

August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  18. chundler

Mitt Romney is just Dan Quayle with a chin and religion.

August 22, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Greg

"chin and religion"...you mean "chin and cult".

August 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
  19. E B

It seems that the press has conveniently forgotten that Romney spoke with them extensively about his faith in the 2008 primary season. Those interviews are still on record, such as from Meet the Press. The press loves to paint the GOP candidate in a bad light every election year, but that doesn't mean that the GOP or its candidates are who the press makes them out to be. Definitely true of Romney. They say they want him to talk about this, that, or the other thing when really all they want is to take away the focus from Obama's economy, and force Romney into a defensive position. Simple as that. For those really interested in Romney's faith, there are better sources of information than the news. Look up your local LDS congregation or visit mormon.org. Thanks for listening.

August 22, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • Lisa

I remember that he said that both he and his dad were pro civil rights before the Mormon church reversed it's stand against the equality (and non-evilness) of blacks. I guess that made him a hypocrite then, being an active part of his church when disagreeing with a fundamental tenant of it's belief system. Better yet, how can anyone be a member of an organization that believes something that you supposedly totally disagree with?

August 22, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • BRC

@Lisa,
      Ask a Catholic, it happens to many of them all the time.

August 22, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Mormons have been forced into backpedalling on their public stance regarding what it means to have melanin, but the fact remains that the LDS taught (and continues to teach) that dark skin is the mark of Cain and those with it merit lesser earthly privilege because they wouldn't choose a side in the War on Heaven.

August 22, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  20. Primewonk

I wonder why so many people see this crap as being relevant? Apparently most folks choose to ignore Article VI, Section 3 of the constîtution.

August 22, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • ME II

Not that I disagree with the lack of relevancy nor the spirit of No Religious Test clause, but the Consti.tution is almost entirely about the enumeration and limitation of federal and state powers, not the individual's decisions.

August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am |