home
RSS
My Take: Romney should take reporters to church more often
Mitt Romney and his family attend church last weekend.
August 21st, 2012

My Take: Romney should take reporters to church more often

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

Mitt Romney’s team invited reporters to go to church with him last Sunday, and The New York Times is reporting that the upcoming Republican presidential convention will showcase Romney’s faith in an effort to humanize him. So are we finally going to get a Mormon candidate for president?

Romney has been widely criticized for running against his past - against what he did at Bain Capital and as governor of Massachusetts, and against his prior views on abortion and health care. And while he hasn’t flip-flopped on his membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he has been loathe even to mention it in public.

In his 2008 “Faith in America” speech, Romney boldly proclaimed his religious heritage. “I believe in my Mormon faith and I endeavor to live by it,” he said. “My faith is the faith of my fathers - I will be true to them and to my beliefs.”

But in recent years he has been hiding that faith under a basket. In fact, in a much anticipated speech to evangelicals at Liberty University in May, he never used the M-word.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The concern is there is little to be gained (and much to be lost) by emphasizing his Mormonism.

Latter-day Saints founder Joseph Smith was assassinated during his run for president in 1844, and anti-Mormonism has a long and sordid history in American life. Today many on the secular left and the religious right alike are wary of a Mormon president, and according to a recent Gallup Poll roughly one in six Americans say they would not vote for an otherwise qualified Mormon.

For all these reasons, Romney's campaign strategy so far seems to have been two-fold:

1. Whenever possible, avoid talking about Mormonism.

2. When pressed, speak of the importance of religion in general and emphasize the common moral values shared by Mormons and evangelicals.

3. Emphasize the American heritage of religious liberty.

I have been arguing for months that this strategy is not sustainable. What self-respecting debate moderator wouldn’t jump at the chance to ask Romney about how his Mormonism might affect his policies on taxation or food stamps or war with Iran?

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And is it really plausible to do the two-step around the religion question all the way to November when the candidate in question may well be the most religious candidate in U.S. history - someone who spent two years as a missionary, followed by decades of church service, first as the Mormon equivalent of a Methodist pastor and then as the Mormon equivalent of an Episcopal priest?

It made sense for John Kennedy to draw a sharp line in 1960 between his private Catholic faith and his public life since he came from a Democratic Party that followed Thomas Jefferson arguing for the strict separation of church and state.

But Romney’s GOP has spent a generation attempting to overthrow the Jefferson/Kennedy consensus by bringing religion ever deeper into U.S. public life. So it just doesn't make sense for this Republican nominee to try to cordon off his private faith from his public policies.

CNN Explains: What’s Mormonism?

For all these reasons, I have argued repeatedly that Romney would be well advised to take the initiative - to define his faith in his own terms rather than awkwardly and defensively fielding (or fumbling) questions about it.

Now it seems like a faith offensive may be in the offing, not least at the upcoming convention.

But how to talk about Mormonism without unearthing all the awkward stuff - the history of polygamy and theocracy, the Mormon underwear?

One way, of course, is to try to emphasize the values similarities between evangelicals and Mormons - on questions like abortion and gay rights. But an even more effective way may be simply to invite reporters to church.

Like any religion, Mormonism has changed over time. And today Mormon services don’t look all that different from Methodist worship. In fact, the common theme coming out of much of the reporting about Romney’s church service Sunday seemed to be how unremarkable it was.

In Buzzfeed, reporter McKay Coppins, who also happens to be a Mormon, referred to that service as an example of “the fundamentally un-exotic Mormon experience.”

Admittedly, they serve bread and water rather than bread and wine, but Latter-day Saints worshippers praise Jesus in song as their “Redeemer” and send prayers up to their “Heavenly Father." And when their worship service is over they march off to Sunday school.

For generations, scholars of religion focused their research almost exclusively on Scriptures and belief. In recent years they have shifted their collective focus to religious practice. Perhaps that is the strategy of the Romney campaign, to shift the focus from the eccentricities of the Book of Mormon and the heterodoxy of Mormon beliefs to the ho-hum of hymns sung at 10 a.m. on a New Hampshire Sunday.

If I have the tune right, the message seems to be that Romney is one of us, and his religion is not so different from whatever yours might be.

Will that message resonate?

It depends. It depends on what Americans know about Mormonism and about their own creeds. However, it also depends on how much they think faith should matter in presidential politics. Ironically, if voters follow the Republican line on that one, Romney might well lose. If they follow Jefferson and Kennedy, he has at least a fighting chance.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Church and state • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Opinion • Politics • United States

soundoff (1,105 Responses)
  1. Sam

Romney spends six and a half days a week lying through his teeth, and one morning a week in church. Just another religious hypocrite!

August 21, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • bspurloc

get religion out of politics

August 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  2. palintwit

Mormonism is not nearly the cult that Teabaggerism is. Part of a teabagger's ritual is to drink Everclear while sitting in a Barca Lounger. Mormons don't own Barca Loungers.

August 21, 2012 at 10:37 am |
  3. TheMagusNYC

Prothero writes as an authority, yet glosses over the fundamental distinction between unitarian Mormonism and trinitarian Christianity. The created spirit being Jesus of Joseph Smith cannot serve as redeemer of all mankind.
    When will Mitt Romney take a stand and assert that he does not consider Paul Ryan to be a true "Christian" since Mormons claim to have "restored" the original sense stripping Christ of claim to Divinity, equal with the Father and Holy Spirit.

August 21, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Jake-413451

"The created spirit being Jesus of Joseph Smith cannot serve as redeemer of all mankind."

Oh really, why not? Burnt cattle, sheep, goats, birds were good enough for God the Father. In fact, they not only were good enough, they were demanded. So I really hope you aren't going to try and say it just isn't good enough, that would be God's call not yours.

How about this, without having to rely on circular reasoning why should anyone believe any 'holy' book more than any other. Wasn't Matthew a tax collector, before becoming an apostle, so who are you to say God the father could not have called upon the disreputable Joseph Smith to change his ways become a mouth for his voice?
      After all, "is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners"

Personally I say, fairy tales, each and every one of them. But I am not so blind as to not see the bible contains within it at least some possibility of future prophets. But for the Christians out there who denounce Mormonism because their bible says no more prophets, we already know the bible is wrong in more than one instance (wasn't the end times supposed to come during a certain generation that is long dead now), so the idea that a dream saying there would be no future prophets could also be wrong.

August 21, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • randonmorford

Deny the divinity of Christ!?!? This is way off base and flat out wrong. We do not believe this. We (Mormons) believe Jesus to be the "ONLY" begotten of the Father. He is God and he lived as a man on this Earth. He is the only being that could come to this earth, atone for all the the sins of the world, die, and then resurrect himself. That is what we (Mormons) believe and if that isn't in "your" definition of divine than I think your definition is wrong, not mormonism.

August 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Marcus Walker

The Mormon faith believes the Catholic to be the church of Satan founded by Satan 1Nephi 13

August 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  4. Paul

I, for one, am honestly interested in Romney's faith. As long as he professes that Christ is his Redeemer, I'm fine with it. The rest of it is ancillary. Catholics bow to Mother Mary. Baptists don't drink or smoke either. Episcopalians allow gay unions. All religions have their own belief system that makes them uniquely different. The base is God and Christ and service. I am sickened at the jokes and judgements on this page... especially from those who certainly demand diversity and acceptance and tolerance. Hope God is more lenient on your sins than you are on Mitt's. Be well.

August 21, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • TheMagusNYC

But Paul, please note without prejudice that Mormons reject the eternally divine nature of Jesus Christ, and given their assertion concerning him being a mere created spirit being, what sense can there be of serving as redeemer of all mankind?

August 21, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • realbuckyball

You wouldn't need a redeemer if your god were not an ancient p.i.s.s.e.d-off deity, who required human sacrifice, instead of saying "i forgive you". Your deity first set up the "system" in which she required a pay-back", and then did not have the forgiveness to suspend it, and instead, "oh, I'll send my child, to prove I love them, to pay myself back". Right. OMF'nG. Some god ya got there.

August 21, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • William Demuth

Paul

I am reminded of the old axiom that diplomacy is just an attempt to get the other guy to stick his head out of the foxhole so you can blow his brains out.

I prefer more honesty. Given an opportunity I would put an end to the cult of Christ by violent means, just as they have used violent means against people like me for over two millennia.

Either we move forward or backward, and as for me, my belief is simple. Better the whole race of humanity end, than my children or grandkids be forced to live in a world where utter lies and madness are professed as truth.

August 21, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • The Image of God (#1)

You're sick of the judgments? You mean like YOUR judgment, that as long as one sees Christ as their redeemer it's OK with you? You mean THAT judgment?

August 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Ricky

This is to TheMagusNYC. You could not be more mistaken with your response. I am mormon and I dont speak negativeley about other religions because personal care about the individual regardless of faith. But please at least gather your facts and make sure they are accurate before you speak such inaccurate information.

Thanks

August 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Marcus Walker

1 Nephi Chapter 13
      Nephi sees in vision the church of the devil set up among the Gentiles, the discovery and colonizing of America, the loss of many plain and precious parts of the Bible, the resultant state of Gentile apostasy, the restoration of the gospel, the coming forth of latter-day scripture, and the building up of Zion. About 600–592 B.C.

1 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld many nations and kingdoms.

2 And the angel said unto me: What beholdest thou? And I said: I behold many anations and kingdoms.

3 And he said unto me: These are the nations and kingdoms of the Gentiles.

4 And it came to pass that I saw among the nations of the aGentiles the formation of a great church.

5 And the angel said unto me: Behold the formation of a achurch which is most abominable above all other churches, which bslayeth the saints of God, yea, and tortureth them and bindeth them down, and yoketh them with a cyoke of iron, and bringeth them down into captivity.

6 And it came to pass that I beheld this agreat and babominable church; and I saw the cdevil that he was the founder of it.

7 And I also saw agold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined blinen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots.

8 And the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold the gold, and the silver, and the silks, and the scarlets, and the fine-twined linen, and the precious clothing, and the harlots, are the adesires of this great and abominable church.

August 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • old golfer

I live in the belt buckle of the Bible Belt and I can assure you that Baptists do indeed smoke and drink, a lot. I also live in a dry county and they make good shine here. Baptist shine.

August 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  5. daveyoung

Read this on FNN today :

"....And the seven states in which residents donated the lowest percentage of their income that year voted for President Obama, based on 2008 IRS information.

The eight top charitable states were Utah, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Idaho, Arkansas and Georgia, as reported first by The Politico. On the other end of the spectrum were Wisconsin, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire.

And don't assume the biggest givers were the wealthier states. Mississippi and Idaho rank among the lowest in the country in per-capita income.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/20/study-red-states-more-charitable-but-religion-more-factor-than-wealth/#ixzz24Bv1Wn8P

August 21, 2012 at 10:35 am |
    • dahditdah

Your source is mixing charitable giving with religious giving. Not even the same thing. Building maintenance and church payroll and investments are hardly 'charitable'. But then half-truths are an improvement over Fox News usual outright lies.

August 21, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Jonathan

I don't believe those numbers. In fact you should not believe anything you hear on Fox, they have been shown to be manipulators and liars quite often.

August 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • old golfer

And do you really believe with most of that money in cash and people handling it you have accurate numbers, Hardly.

August 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  6. lgcropper

Drop into a Mormon service anytime you want. Times and places are easily found on http://www.mormon.org. If you drop in unannounced then no one will have a chance to "white-wash" the message or alert the bishop as some previous writers have suggested. Plan to attend Sunday School and the final hour where the men and women separate into their gender-based sessions. Ask to talk to the bishop after and ask him all about the planet Kolob and the "magic underwear" and how it fits into the doctrine and how these things impact the daily life of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Then you will see what Mormons are all about.
    Those of you who choose not to do this, and continue to rant about planets and underwear have no argument worth listening to.

August 21, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • joe

Actually, we can rant and rave all we want because we're guaranteed free speech in this country...obviously something you and your religion don't support.
      Now, how about we all drop into one of your Temples? The ones that have been in use, not the ones that are brand new, that allow people to visit before all the secrets start in the basement?

August 21, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • daveyoung

The sad truth is that Obama doesn`t wear underwear

August 21, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Dave

Yeah, drop into a Mormon Temple and see what really goes on behind closed doors. Oh, um wait, you can't! That's right, but hey you can go into our safe gathering place where we put on our public performance. We keep our undergarments to ourselves thank you. But we do wear nice suits, even when we come to your home on our bicycles.

August 21, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • joe

I don't wear underwear either. Who cares? Mormons wear a special underwear that protects them from evil.

August 21, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Dave A

For all the PRO lifers out there, in the Mormon church, life does not start at conception there is some fancy explanation of
      this in their view.. Take a morman to lunch and ask some questions

August 21, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • TheMagusNYC

Typical of Mormon strategy, you fail to note the rejection of the Christian concept of Jesus Christ as eternally Divine, equal with the Father and Holy Spirit, uniquely qualified to secure salvation for all of mankind.
      The "restored" Christianity of Mormonism is an oxymoron, a mere created spirit being Jesus having nothing in common with the Christian concept.
      Mormons stand with Muslims and Jehovahs Witnesses in their unitarian claims, and there is no shame in that choice.

August 21, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • Marcus Walker

I did because after reading the BOM and deciding it was inspired, I wanted to be a part of the true church. I found out that drinking Dr Pepper is a sin. Did not take me long to decide the Mormon church I was visiting was as far from the teachings of the BOM as the baptist are from the church of Christ.
      The book of Mormon theme is Jesus Christ the same yesterday today and forever. Where does Jesus say that you cant drink coffee or have a Dr Pepper with supper.
      The Devil has done the same with the BOM as he has done with the bible. Made himself another church to porevert the true words in the original book.

August 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  7. joe

I am a HUGE supporter of Obama and I think that Romney belongs to a cult that should be investigated and exposed!

August 21, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • daveyoung

That`s why we have elections Joe – so people like you can become educated. Read George Guilder`s" Wealth and Poverty," then report back. Thanks.

August 21, 2012 at 10:38 am |
    • joe

LOL! Right daveyoung, every book is a wealth of absolute, unquestionable truth, just like your BOM huh?

August 21, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • tpbco

And obviously...not very smart.

August 21, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • tpbco

On the other hand, I am obviously a very little person if I have to attack someone for no reason whatsoever.

August 21, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  8. templerecommend

Ummm....yes, everyone KNOWS that the mormons go to church in a regular church building...just like anyone else (well, most anyone else that actually goes to a church). But what about taking a camera crew to one of his ACTIVE Temples? Lets see the rituals they do there. Let's see the secret name ceremony, the temple wedding where the woman walks behind the man. Let's see all of the REAL secrets the Mormons keep from the world...oh, I forgot, they call them SACRED, not secret. Hmmmmm..

August 21, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • Jake-413451

You can see all those things.

Just become a member of their church.

But if you've no desire to become a member then why should you even care? It isn't like it is anymore ridiculous than the Eucharistic Miracles and Transubstantiation. Oh no, they pray for dead people, how weird, next thing you know they'll pray to dead people, like Mary or any of the various Saints the Catholics address prayers of intercession to.

Maybe they will get real freaky and start handling rattlesnakes or speaking in tongues.

Or they could just go all kinds of crazy and spend their time debating if a sprinkle is good enough or a whole dunk is required for baptism.

I don't need to be a Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Mormon, or any other religion to know they all believe is some pretty weird stuff and will argue over the minutia of their sky daddy beliefs.

August 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  9. fistface

Separate Church From State

August 21, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  10. Saboth

"Religion" and "Government". Two things that mix like oil and water. I don't know at what point a president's religion became a major voting point for many people, but we need to go back before that time.

August 21, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  11. JB Dunn

The mainstream media should do a story about the various Mormon church locations that are 'off limits' to outsiders. Is it reasonable that this religion maintains 'cult-ish' qualities in this day and age? Secrets. For certain eyes only. Why? Is this organized religious group hiding something that should be known by the American people now that one of their own is running for the top political office of our country? Obama had the courage to denounce a racist minister when he was running in 2008...I wonder if Romney would have similar courage to do what's right if Mormon beliefs are exposed as extremist, etc...? Of course, when asked, we'll never get the truth. Come on guys...dig, uncover, expose what's going on with this group. This man wants to lead our country. We have a right to know. Open book. This will probably end up being another 'tax returns' gig I imagine. (These aren't the issues you're looking for...*applies the force)

August 21, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Dave

Yes, it is the time to expose "all" Mormon secrets, when one of them is running for the highest office in the land. They've been slowly and secretly taking our country over from inside and it is d@mn scary. Mormonism is a cult folks, by any definition.

August 21, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Bob

When Obama was outed for sitting under an anti-American, racist pastor, he waffled, then decided the guy was too much political baggage and ejected him. By why didn't it bother him for the previous 20 years? That's not courage.

August 21, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  12. lucky18

Which church is that? The Mormon Church? Will he wear his golden underwear that day? Will he baptise dead people that day? Which Jesus will they talk about that day?

August 21, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Marcus Walker

Lucky did you know the Mormons got into trouble for getting baptized for the Jews that were killed in the concentration camps to get them out of hell? They were made to stop it.
      Nowhere in the bible are people baptized for dead people neither in the BOM are they. Paul said that if Jesus had not risen from the dead then they would baptize fro the dead. Do they believe Jesus did not raise from the dead? How then could he appear to the people on this continent?

August 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm |
  13. ME II

Prothero,
    "Latter-day Saints founder Joseph Smith was assassinated during his run for president in 1844,..."

You make it sound like he was shot during a campaign speech or something. He was in jail and a mob stormed the jail and he got shot while trying to get out a window.

August 21, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • coyoteliberty

You're right, of course. He was in Jail. On what charges? Oh, that's right, trumped up charges. Imagine someone jailing Obama in 2008 for advocating for national Health Insurance and the Sheriff and his deputies throwing open the door to the jail to the Klan come to lynch him. It would have been the same thing. And you think it's somehow LESS offensive that he was the victim of a crazed, bigoted mob than a lone crazed gunman? Are you serious?

August 21, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • ME II

Ummm... no.
      I don't think it's less of a crime that he was killed by a mob, not at all. My point was that it was not simply an assignation of a presidential candidate, which is what the author implied.
      He was a highly controversial figure, arguably running his own city-state of Navoo, arguably persecuted unjustly, arguably jailed for the "trumped up" charge of treason, arguably a lot of things.
      He was not your typical politician out on the campaign trail.

August 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  14. Punchmaster

Magical tablets dug up in New York 200 years ago? I think this happened right next to where that lady lived in a shoe with a bunch of children.

August 21, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Calamity Jane

Right, and those tablets are right next to the Ten Commandments that Moses brought down from the mountain ...

August 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • old golfer

Thanks Calamity Jane, spot on.

August 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  15. evan

Romney has been widely criticized for running against his past – against what he did at Bain Capital and as governor of Massachusetts, and against his prior views on abortion and health care.

exactly why i dont like romney

August 21, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  16. James PDX

I would just prefer not to have a leader who believes that when he dies he will go to another planet and become a god himself. Anyone who would believe such nonsense is not mentally fit to lead any country.

August 21, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Dave

Succinctly put. Couldn't agree more mon.

August 21, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  17. Orin

Like all LDS public relations, any public showcasing of Romney's religion is going to be entirely whitewashed to give the impression there is nothing to worry about.

The non-Mormon media is being completely duped about the non-eventful religious services of the LDS. For one, once the bishop is apprised of Romney and reporters being in attendance, you can bet there will be nothing said in a sacrament meeting that will be construed as out of the mainstream of Christian orthodoxy. And if anything does slip out, the bishop will take care to "correct" the misspoken comment.

Secondly, the real "eventful" stuff takes place in the other two hours of worship service. So, if the non-Mormon reporters really want to know what is taught, they need to pay attention during those times. However, again, once the local leaders of that worship service know that there are reporters (or media representatives), those meetings will only have sanitized christian orthodoxy discussions and dialogue.

The true face of Mormon theology can only be accurately observed and recorded by non-Mormon reporters visiting a normal congregation (without celebrity in attendance) while as an incognito visitor over a period of several weeks.

August 21, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • joe

Okay while we're on the subject let's look at the transcripts of Obama's three colleges he attended. Or Obama attending a church who thinks God should damn America not bless her. AND YOU ELECTED HIM!!!

August 21, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Jo

Go ahead. Go attend a Mormon church service for a couple of weeks. It's still going to be pretty boring and unremarkable. We're not "hiding" anything.

August 21, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • JF

People continually talk about how Mormon's are putting on a show for people and they are really this subversive cult that seeks to overthrow the universe. Seriously? Are they really hiding all this? Last Mormon services I attended, some teenager, an absolutely uneloquent and by observation uneducated man and his wife delivered the sermons. Sunday School was relatively interesting and taught by a young mother and they pretty much read from the book in the men's only meeting and it was all about how the men need to be better fathers...not really a religous message at all.

I have a hard time believing that their organization run by their own untrained members could miraculously pull off a last minute switcharoo to dupe the press corps. Either they really are all powerful, or they have performed the greatest con in all the world to get 14 Million people including children, teens, and the disenfranchised to "keep the big secret."

My recommendation would be for these reporters to just go show up to any Mormon church on Sunday to see what it is all about.

August 21, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • Lee

There is a big sign on each Mormon chapel that says "Visitors Welcome". You can look up when and when Sunday meetings are held at http://www.lds.org. Go see for yourself. You don't need an invitation or to make an announcement that you are coming- just show up and see for yourself.

August 21, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Orin

Actually Joe, I didn't vote for Obama. As an independent, who has a fond admiration for our military veterans, I voted for McCain.

As for the reference to Wright, I would agree only to the extent that Obama was a long-time congregation member. However, as much as I disdain disrespectful language and rhetoric from the pulpit, those types of churches are open and honest with their views.

I can't say that about the LDS. They basically act like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

One serious concern I have with Romney is this:
      He has taken a loyalty oath, by swearing to God in the Mormon Temple, to consecrate all that he has to the LDS Church.

So, since he stated, “I believe in my Mormon faith and I endeavor to live by it,”... “My faith is the faith of my fathers – I will be true to them and to my beliefs”, and if he is elected POTUS, I have a serious concern that this is beginning to breach the wall of separation of church and state.

So far, I'm inclined to not vote for Romney.

August 21, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • The Fifth Ace

Been there, done that. Reporters have shown up to Mormon services without notice and have reported – nothing extraordinary. It is interesting to see the extent of the lies some are willing to tell in the cause of their hate.

August 21, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  18. donner

Want to see an Obama landslide?? Get Romney talking about planet Kolob, the Mormon version of heaven. The average American thinks Mormons are just a little quirky. They have no idea. I want a reporter to ask Romney to show his magical Mormon diaper on camera. And watch the hilarity ensue. If Romney is elected, do we all get a Mormon harem??

August 21, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • joe

A guy who attended a church who preaches God should damn America not bless her could never get elected. You elected him.

August 21, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • JF

Crazy Mormon Daipers? While we are being offensive to people. Get a load of the Pope's hats (the cereal bowl, the post hole digger model, etc...) Shall we mention the Murder weapons that most Christians wear around their necks? Get over yourself. looks like you got a beam in your eye.

August 21, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  19. Honey Badger Dont Care

Take your pet reporter to work day.

August 21, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  20. William Demuth

Thats what cults do

They recruit fools

August 21, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Isn't preying on the weak part of their doctrine?

August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I misread that. I thought you said tools William. But is there a difference?

August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • William Demuth

Well Tom there is

Fools give and give. Tools learn how they were exploited, and then do the same thing to others..

It's like prison, some are merely victims in every sense, while some use their victimization as a form of tutoring, so they can then exploit others.

For MANY Christians, their indoctrination seems to inspire a profound understanding of the inherent weakness of others. The worst of the breed then use this as a source of political or economic power.

They all seek legitimacy because legitimacy is POWER.

August 21, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • kindless

You got that right, William. They open the doors of those shiny temples and next thing you know, it's like that Elvis Presley song. (Except none of them have a lick of rhythm like that Elvis did.)

August 21, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • joe

And to which cult do you belong?

August 21, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • coyoteliberty

Sort of like the Democratic Party?

August 21, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • bspurloc

the good ole christian taliban way. take advantage of the weak. spread your control through any means that works.... Incas only had spears use guns on them

August 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm |