home
RSS
My Take: Romney should take reporters to church more often
Mitt Romney and his family attend church last weekend.
August 21st, 2012

My Take: Romney should take reporters to church more often

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

Mitt Romney’s team invited reporters to go to church with him last Sunday, and The New York Times is reporting that the upcoming Republican presidential convention will showcase Romney’s faith in an effort to humanize him. So are we finally going to get a Mormon candidate for president?

Romney has been widely criticized for running against his past - against what he did at Bain Capital and as governor of Massachusetts, and against his prior views on abortion and health care. And while he hasn’t flip-flopped on his membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he has been loathe even to mention it in public.

In his 2008 “Faith in America” speech, Romney boldly proclaimed his religious heritage. “I believe in my Mormon faith and I endeavor to live by it,” he said. “My faith is the faith of my fathers - I will be true to them and to my beliefs.”

But in recent years he has been hiding that faith under a basket. In fact, in a much anticipated speech to evangelicals at Liberty University in May, he never used the M-word.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The concern is there is little to be gained (and much to be lost) by emphasizing his Mormonism.

Latter-day Saints founder Joseph Smith was assassinated during his run for president in 1844, and anti-Mormonism has a long and sordid history in American life. Today many on the secular left and the religious right alike are wary of a Mormon president, and according to a recent Gallup Poll roughly one in six Americans say they would not vote for an otherwise qualified Mormon.

For all these reasons, Romney's campaign strategy so far seems to have been two-fold:

1. Whenever possible, avoid talking about Mormonism.

2. When pressed, speak of the importance of religion in general and emphasize the common moral values shared by Mormons and evangelicals.

3. Emphasize the American heritage of religious liberty.

I have been arguing for months that this strategy is not sustainable. What self-respecting debate moderator wouldn’t jump at the chance to ask Romney about how his Mormonism might affect his policies on taxation or food stamps or war with Iran?

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

And is it really plausible to do the two-step around the religion question all the way to November when the candidate in question may well be the most religious candidate in U.S. history - someone who spent two years as a missionary, followed by decades of church service, first as the Mormon equivalent of a Methodist pastor and then as the Mormon equivalent of an Episcopal priest?

It made sense for John Kennedy to draw a sharp line in 1960 between his private Catholic faith and his public life since he came from a Democratic Party that followed Thomas Jefferson arguing for the strict separation of church and state.

But Romney’s GOP has spent a generation attempting to overthrow the Jefferson/Kennedy consensus by bringing religion ever deeper into U.S. public life. So it just doesn't make sense for this Republican nominee to try to cordon off his private faith from his public policies.

CNN Explains: What’s Mormonism?

For all these reasons, I have argued repeatedly that Romney would be well advised to take the initiative - to define his faith in his own terms rather than awkwardly and defensively fielding (or fumbling) questions about it.

Now it seems like a faith offensive may be in the offing, not least at the upcoming convention.

But how to talk about Mormonism without unearthing all the awkward stuff - the history of polygamy and theocracy, the Mormon underwear?

One way, of course, is to try to emphasize the values similarities between evangelicals and Mormons - on questions like abortion and gay rights. But an even more effective way may be simply to invite reporters to church.

Like any religion, Mormonism has changed over time. And today Mormon services don’t look all that different from Methodist worship. In fact, the common theme coming out of much of the reporting about Romney’s church service Sunday seemed to be how unremarkable it was.

In Buzzfeed, reporter McKay Coppins, who also happens to be a Mormon, referred to that service as an example of “the fundamentally un-exotic Mormon experience.”

Admittedly, they serve bread and water rather than bread and wine, but Latter-day Saints worshippers praise Jesus in song as their “Redeemer” and send prayers up to their “Heavenly Father." And when their worship service is over they march off to Sunday school.

For generations, scholars of religion focused their research almost exclusively on Scriptures and belief. In recent years they have shifted their collective focus to religious practice. Perhaps that is the strategy of the Romney campaign, to shift the focus from the eccentricities of the Book of Mormon and the heterodoxy of Mormon beliefs to the ho-hum of hymns sung at 10 a.m. on a New Hampshire Sunday.

If I have the tune right, the message seems to be that Romney is one of us, and his religion is not so different from whatever yours might be.

Will that message resonate?

It depends. It depends on what Americans know about Mormonism and about their own creeds. However, it also depends on how much they think faith should matter in presidential politics. Ironically, if voters follow the Republican line on that one, Romney might well lose. If they follow Jefferson and Kennedy, he has at least a fighting chance.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Church and state • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Opinion • Politics • United States

soundoff (1,105 Responses)
  1. bryes

It's no wonder Romney avoids discussing his faith in public. Look what happens when a discussion like this is published. As you can read on this and other blogs, many fanatics come out and belittle his beliefs, oftentimes using scornful and mocking language.

Romney is running for president of the country and will lead all people, regardless of their beliefs. His faith is between him, his family and God. Why bring it up when this only brings ridicule from the unbelieving?

August 21, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • bryes

But at the same time, if a person is to be President of the USA, then this great country deserves to know what we do in the Temple. The secret things that we refer to as sacred...but would still scare most of the American populace if they knew what they were...

August 21, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Apparently you haven's studied any religions to understand how harmful and deceitful they are. Educate yourself and become a human for crying out loud.

August 21, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • bryes

Would you bring up your personal beliefs of faith when applying for a job, especially if you knew that the people there did not share those beliefs with you? Why subject your faith, which you hold dear and sacred, to the scorn of others.

August 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • bryes

The so-called "bryes" poster who talks about the temple is an imposter. They are using my name, trying to make it look like I said this.

August 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • TiredOfPaying

"Romney is running for president of the country and will lead all people, regardless of their beliefs."

But don't you understand – this is EXACTLY what we don't believe! He will lead for the 1% only while forcing his religious views on others. There has been zero proposals from him that don't cater to a small, extremeist group of people.

August 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  2. Chris

I used to have a positive view of Mormons, then I saw how Mitt Romney acted.

August 21, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • mdh49

Very true and sad Chris. Mormons are nothing but scary, cultists that are trained to be dishonest and believe that they are going to become gods....imagine that: If they believe they can become gods, then they are going to act like it. That's a mental illness!

August 21, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • steveareeno

I don't want Romney to "take us to church." I don't believe in his church. I have a church I go to and I am challenged by that church to live in a just, compassionate, and moral way. I have not see that from Romney, nor any other politician for that matter.

August 21, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • The Image of God

mdh49... As is Mormonism is somehow "wackier" than any other religion?

August 21, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Topher

The Image of God

I'd say no. We Christians believe some pretty fantastic things, too. But whether it is wacky shouldn't be the question. The question should be: "Is it true?"

August 21, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Really-O?

@Topher –

Shouldn't the first question be, "Is it supported by good evidence?"

August 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Topher

Really-O?

"Shouldn't the first question be, "Is it supported by good evidence?"

Depends what your definition of evidence is. I don't know what evidence Mormons hold up for their faith, but I bet I probably have the same bias against that evidence that you do for the evidence for Christianity (and I think there's lots of evidence for this.) And besides that, even if there were zero evidence for something doesn't make it less true. It just means you have no evidence. So I'll stick with "Is it true?"

August 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Topher-

I've said this before, but it's worth saying again – while I don't agree with you're theistic beliefs and think you are a naive, you certainly are cordial, and forthright in your convictions...I respect both of those qualities. Keep an open mind and keep learning.

Cheers

August 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Topher-

Sorry, "you're theistic" should, of course, be "your theistic".

August 21, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Really-O?

...and "a naive" should read "naive". Damn my proof-reading skills.

August 21, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Topher

Really-O?

And I appreciate that you can have a conversation about something you disagree on without just calling names. I respect that.

I'm sure you've told me before, but if you don't mind, would you remind me where you stand? Atheist? Agnostic?

August 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Really-O?

I avoid most labels as they are open to interpretation and are often misrepresented by those without integrity (are you listening, Chad?). That said, assuming I understand the intent of your question, I'm a non-believer.

August 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Topher

That's OK. I was a non-believer for most of my life.

August 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Topher –

You're still a non-believer (atheist?) with regard to all gods other than the one in which you've chosen to believe (the god of Abraham). Doesn't that give you any food-for-thought?

August 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Topher

That's true. I'm an atheist to those other gods. I've looked into their claims and the claims of Christianity and I think Jesus Christ is the only one that holds water. I've found the truth and they can't all be true. Only one can (and I say only one instead of "or none" because I put atheism in there because it is a worldview.)

August 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Really-O?

@Topher –

Well done. I have no argument with anything in your last post. What we're left with, however, is how you came to the conclusion that Christianity is "true" (I wouldn't use that word, but we both understand what you mean). For any rational person, certainly one who was previously a non-believer, determining if belief is rational comes down to evidence. Previously you stated, "Depends what your definition of evidence is." But, Topher, we both already agree on what consti'tutes good evidence – at least if we take theism out of the mix.

–When was the last time your rubbed mercury on a cut or abrasion?
      –When was the last time you opened a vein or applied leaches when you had a fever?
      –If one of your family members was schizophrenic, would you consult an exorcist or a psychiatrist?
      –Do you believe gravity or supernatural forces keep your feet firmly planted on the ground?
      –Are earthquakes caused by spirits or tectonic shift?

You see, you already do respect the nature of evidence in almost every area of your life – save your spiritual beliefs. I in no way intend to be dismissive, but I just don't understand how one can compartmentalize one specific intellectual domain.

Heads-up...the "faith" argument does not address my questions. Faith is something you employ after you've decided to believe.

August 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Topher

Really-O?

Well, for me personally, a lot went into it. After seeking out Christians as a teenager to tell them just how stupid they were, I had a change of heart ... sort of. My mom had gone to a funeral, and as someone who also did not grow up in a church, she asked the pastor there how does one go to Heaven? He said all you had to do was believe. That sounded simple enough to me. So I thought just in case there's a Heaven, I'll go around saying I believe. I called myself a "Christian" throughout my 20s. But during that time I never once opened a Bible to see what it said. And I still held to my beloved sciences (which I still do for the most part.) It wasn't until someone explained to me that I had sinned against God and deserved Hell that I started really looking into religions. As it turns out, Christianity is the only one that has forgiveness of sins. None of the others do. So at the very least, I knew I wanted Christianity to be true, though that didn't mean it was.

So now I needed to look at the Bible itself because it claimed to be the Word of God. And what I came to realize is that the Bible is a reliable collection of historical doc.uments. And not only that, but it was written by witnesses (not hundreds of years later like some try to say) during the lifetimes of other eyewitness and they report supernatural events. Do you realize what that means? If a writer wrote something false that didn't happen, the other eyewitnesses would have called them on it. Do you think Peter would have allowed the things written about him to be written if they weren't true? The gospels aren't kind to him or any of the apostles. And the fact they were all put to death for these things. I don't know of any lie I'd be willing to die for. So if the Bible has history right, and there was a natural bull-detector (eyewitnesses), why shouldn't I also believe what it says about those supernatural things? I could go on and on about my process here. For instance, look how many OT prophecies are fulfilled in Jesus. I know ... some of you say the NT writers just knew the OT and made it look like Jesus fulfilled them. But you have to understand there were 30 or 40 different writers of the Bible and they were able to be so thorough that nothing was missed? Just look at Psalm 22. That was written 1000 years before Christ. Amazing.

So all of this accu.mulated into my belief. I believe it all. The Bible is the Word of God. God Himself loved me (and you) so much that He came and took the punishment we deserve so that when we die we can go to Heaven even though we deserve Hell. I understand this probably doesn't answer all of your questions, but feel free to ask anything more specific. This is my favorite subject, after all. 🙂

August 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Topher

I also feel I need to add this to my above statement. What that pastor told my mom wasn't exactly the whole truth. Yes, we need to believe, but the Bible says even the demons believe in Christ, but we don't believe they will be going to Heaven. It says they tremble at that knowledge. In order to receive God's grace we must repent (not just say we are sorry, but turn from sinning) and trust in the Savior. That's when we'll be born again.

August 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  3. therealpeace2all

Reblogged this on peace2alldotme.

August 21, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  4. Stupid Romney Quotes

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love."

August 21, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  5. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Seperation of church and state please. With that being said, let's talk about the economy...

Paul Ryan, Chairman of the House Budget Committee is a seven-term congressman who is described by the GOT as a bright and talented lawmaker with the experience and know-how to balance the budget, reduce the national debt, promote fiscal leadership, strenghten and grow the economy and put America back on the path to growth and prosperity. However, under Paul Ryan's fiscal leadership in which the GOP controlled both the House and Senate and Executive branch, the end result was record unemployment, high inflation, a housing crisis, a broken banking system and the worst economic crisis in America since the Great Depression. Hey, Paul Ryan is not the solution. He's the PROBLEM. Please go away!

August 21, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  6. Stupid Romney Quotes

"I should tell my story. I'm also unemployed." —Mitt Romney, speaking in 2011 to unemployed people in Florida. Romney's net worth is over $200 million.

August 21, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  7. KCRick

This video represents a truth that everyone needs to know.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYDaoCSCoJg&w=640&h=360]

August 21, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • The Image of God

Why do/did you feel that you NEED/ED anything at all? Why this NEED? This lack?

August 21, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • unverknow

Oh Please KCRick. Keep trying. You have got to do a better job.

August 21, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • unverknow

Like, for example, show more videos of people that have truly come to know that the Mormon church is bunk. I love them!

August 21, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Felix el Gato

Mormonism is a cult.

August 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  8. JR

Really? How many candidates have been asked how THEIR religion will affect their handling of issues such as war with Iraq, budget crises, etc.?? Why is it that a Mormon should be gabbing about the impact of their religion on policy and their political beliefs any more than a Catholic, Jew, Buddhist, etc. should? For a country that is constantly banging the drum of separation of church and state, taking "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance, etc., it seems very odd to be asking a political candidate to invite them to church. We have enough exhibitionism in this country without turning religion into a photo op or reality TV. Perhaps you should appreciate the fact that he isn't trying to jam his religion in your face.

August 21, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • JR

Though in truth, Mormons do nothing BUT cram their religion down everyones' throats.

August 21, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • kenny

since 99% of past presidents have been protestant the majority doesn't care cause they are also protestant... when kennedy, a catholic, was running he had to make a big deal out of not doing what the pope says... same will probably apply to romney and the leaders of his faith... duh

August 21, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  9. GenYer

omg >.< Please, keep religion and government seperate!

August 21, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  10. Leftcoastrocky

Only worthy Mormons can enter a Mormon temple. Therefore frequently many friends and family members – even parents of the bride and groom – are excluded from witnessing wedding ceremonies, and must wait outside the temple, or in a waiting room at the entrance foyer which is not part of the sacred precincts.

August 21, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • char

The only people keeping LDS members out of the temple are themselves.

August 21, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • char

My non member parents waited in the waiting room for me to be married in the temple.
      I included them as much as I could, neither of my parents ever complained about not being able to enter.
      I was able to take my mom through the temple I was married in later as it was remodeled to she was able to go through and see where the ceremony was preformed. If your not a member and would like to walk through a temple I highly recommend going through the open house they hold before the building is dedicated.

August 21, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  11. KCRick

How shameful to question a man's religion. If he were Jewish or Muslim, would a reporter dare ask the same?

August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • OOO

If some guy said his religion was to follow Satan, would you have any issue questioning it? Especially if he is running for POTUS?

So the next step is to question anyone's supernatural beliefs, right?

August 21, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • TheVocalAtheist

So, if the person that's running for POTUS claims that there is no God, would that matter?

August 21, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  12. edward

politics and church shouldn't be mixing.

August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  13. kolob

The religion of a president should not matter whatsoever. As much as Mormonism scares me, I know that it is my duty to put it aside and focus on policy.

August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Alien Orifice

kolob, it takes a brave person to admint they are retarded.

August 21, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • TheVocalAtheist

Everything about a potential POTUS should matter, what is wrong with you?

August 21, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  14. DP-CA

This is vital for any true Christian to know!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3lvKgN_htA&w=640&h=360]

August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • mdh49

Just as vital:

August 21, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • mdh49

However I must show this video with the caveat that I'm a programmed Mormon and anything with .org after it means that it's going to be strictly Mormon propaganda instead of a real persons' experience.

August 21, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • mdh49

HAHAHAHA ... D-BAG ...

So all those people on http://www.mormon.org are just lying, eh? Sure they are ... check it out for yourself

August 21, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • mdh49

I'm just mad! I mean crazy....LOL...LOL....ROFL!!!!! I keep contradicting myself! I'm a D-bag! Yeah!!!!

August 21, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • mdh49

See, you can tell what mormons are really like because they call other people that contradict them a D-bag! Wow, that speaks volumes. I'm nothing but a big hypocrite. But we mormons are taught from a young age to be like sharks...attack swiftly, anybody that questions our religion!

August 21, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • DP-CA

I can see clearly now! I AM a D-BAG. I'm turning over a new leaf and have decided to stop trying to tear down other people's beliefs and instead focus on bettering myself.

August 21, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • DP-CA

So, please listen to the above video with an open heart. You're realize that Mormons are not a good group of people...and I say that with all the love in my heart that I can.

August 21, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • mdh49

spoken by someone who obviously does not know Mormons ... "not a good group of people," sheesh! How do you define "good" ... the facts speak for themselves if you bother to learn them. Of course there are "bad" Mormons, just like there are "bad" Catholics, "bad" evangelicals, etc, etc ... however, as a group, Mormons, Catholics, Muslims, etc are all good people.

August 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  15. TheVocalAtheist

Qualifying question on the application to run for the POTUS:

1. Do you or anyone in your family believe in a God or practice any supernatural religion or philosophy?

Circle One: Yes No

If you circled "Yes" then you do not qualify for this position. Come back when you are not delusional.

August 21, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • Tyler

Oh, please. We haven't had an atheist president to date. You're an idiot if you claim that not one of the 44 men who have held that office was qualified. But I know how much people like you cringe when someone with a different worldview is successful.

August 21, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • TheVocalAtheist

@Tyler

" But I know how much people like you cringe when someone with a different worldview is successful."

You know what Tyler? You don't know a fu*cking thing about me. But I know for sure that you cannot think for yourself, you are a small minded with no vision. Oh, I'm sorry, your vision is that our existence is just a "stop over" before mysteriously flying away to some heaven.

August 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Jake-413451

I'd drop the "anyone in your family" bit. can't be held responsible for the delusions of others.

Otherwise I agree with you, delusional people should be ineligible for office. And for the most part they are. If some spoke of how their faith in Odin helped them get through a trying time I have no doubt you would need at least a couple decimal places to show their share of the popular vote. So most delusions are disqualifiers, others though are required.

August 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  16. Oakspar

Mr. Prothero gives a tip to his underlying motives when he accuses the Republicans of trying to overthrow a fictional Jefferson/Kennedy seperation.

The point of religious seperation has always been to protect religion from government, not to protect people or government from religion. It has been that since Roger Williams (a Baptist turned Quaker) first penned the "wall of seperation between church and state" line that Jefferson quoted.

Arguing that conservative values is "bringing religion into government" is as idiotic as saying that the seperation of church and state should protect us from such other religious laws as the abolitions on theft and murder. As we all know, those Christians have kept us under that religious tennant against murdering for far to long .

Almost all criminal law is moral law and while religion influences the morality of many, being against abortion, same gender relations, extra marital relations, and many other moral debates of today have people of and not of faith on both sides of them (many reasonable athiest have concluded that abortion, for example, is an abhorrible practice).

What Mr. Prothero knows is that there is a deep LDS conflict in this country. The LDS church holds itself as the correct, enlightened Christianity. The evangelicals, catholics, and orthodox faiths hold that the LDS church is outside of the unbrella of Christianity.

Thus, if Romney draws focus to his Morman faith, he will bleed votes from his base. If he emphasizes the fact that the Morman faith holds a near identical morality to mainstream Christianity, that base can be content that while his own soul might be in jeopardy, his rule will be in line with the prinicpals they hold.

If anything, the presidency has had no shortage of strong believers (Carter, W. Bush), "moral outsiders" (Jefferson, Reagan, and the current administration), and "less than moral outsiders" (Kennedy, Clinton).

As it is now, few Christains vote based on the religion on the record sheet, but more on the agenda of the man's record. I do not question the President's claim to Christianity, I am one of those who do not hold the LDS church to be a part of Christianity, but given the choice between them on the positions taken, the more Christain choice is clear.

That Prothero would like to muddy that up is as base as encouraging people to choose a candidate based on nothing more than race or gender without reguard to policy, posistion, or issue.

August 21, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • therealpeace2all

@Oakspar

" The point of religious seperation has always been to protect religion from government, not to protect people or government from religion. "

As I understand it, the so-called 'wall' is supposed to work 'both' ways. If a group of Muslim's want to enact sharia law, over the consti tution, the government will step in and protect "people" (from) "religion."

Our secular consti-tution helps ensures that.

Peace...

August 21, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  17. DP-CA

This is truly a heart-felt, meaningful testimony. Please be open and listen to this. It will warm your heart.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZm0NiGHmE&w=640&h=360]

August 21, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • mdh49

August 21, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • mdh49

For every one of your "heartwarming" stories of someone who gave up Mormonism, you can find many more stories of people who uplifted, strengthened, and made very happy by the religion. Check out http://www.mormon.org

August 21, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • mdh49

I'm just an angry propagandist. If you listen to this video, this man just talks about the bible and how the Book of Mormon can't be right. He uses the Christian Bible to explain how Mormons cannot be right. My eyes have been opened! Forget mormon.org...that's a bunch of lies.

August 21, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • DP-CA

The Bible "explains how the Mormons cannot be right" ... LOL ... that's funny, I've read that Bible from cover to cover several times and didn't see that part ... I only hope that people on both sides of this issue can be "open and listen' when it comes to learning about Mormons. You say the Bible disproves Mormonism, I say it doesn't. And I can back it up with logical, cogent explanations. Some people will reject Mormonism and some will accept it, but their decision should be based on the truth, and not on "propaganda" from either side. Don't like the idea of mormon.org, or exmormon.org? Fine, either visit a Mormon church, talk to a Mormon friend, or ignore us entirely. Just don't like about us and try to tear down our faith.

August 21, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  18. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Mitt Romney said if elected, he'd create millions of American jobs by lowering corporate taxes and lifting regulations. However, Mitt Romney seems to be ignorant to the fact that the economy collapsed when regulations in question were nonexistent and corporate taxes were the lowest in decades. Mitt, you're simply clueless or perhaps just plain incompetent.

August 21, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • jon

Corporations simply gave away millions of our good paying jobs over these past few decades. No President was the cause of this (although our politicians sat idly by). And, no President can turn this around. It is simply about the almighty dollar and maximizing profits for the shareholders – the middle class be damned.

August 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  19. palintwit

Another major difference between Mormonism and Teabaggerism is that Mormons have indoor plumbing. Teabaggers don't. They are content to dig latrines.

August 21, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  20. organically

Religion is the biggest scam in the history of humanity

August 21, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • jon

Religion is also simply about the almighty dollar – in the U.S. everything is.

August 21, 2012 at 11:35 am |