home
RSS
Atheist group removes billboards targeting presidential candidates' religious faith
American Atheists says it took down billboards critical of the candidates' religions in Charlotte, North Carolina, after threats.
August 27th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff and Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - An atheist group that raised a pair of billboards taking aim at the presidential candidates’ religion at the site of next month’s Democratic National Convention has pulled the signs after what the group called a “large volume of threats.”

The billboards, sponsored by American Atheists, took aim at Mormonism and Christianity and went up this month in Charlotte, North Carolina, which will play host to the Democratic convention.

Presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney is a Mormon, and President Barack Obama is also a Christian.

The billboard targeting Christianity featured an image of Jesus Christ on toast and this description of the faith: "Sadistic God; Useless Savior, 30,000+ Versions of ‘Truth,’ Promotes Hates, Calls it ‘Love.’ ”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The billboard targeting Mormonism lambasted - and, Mormons would say, distorted - specific Mormon doctrines: "God is a Space Alien, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry.”

The Mormon billboard featured a man in white underwear, a reference to special Mormon garments.

American Atheists said the billboards provoked a “large volume of threats” by phone and e-mail and that the group reported the threats to police.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“It is with regret that we tell our members and all of those who treasure free speech and the separation of religion and government that American Atheists and Adams Outdoor Advertising have mutually agreed to remove the billboards immediately,” Amanda Knief, American Atheists’ managing director, said in a statement last week.

“No subject, no idea should be above scrutiny - and this includes religion in all forms,” Knief said. “We are saddened that by choosing to express our rights as atheists through questioning the religious beliefs of the men who want to be our president that our fellow citizens have responded with vitriol, threats and hate speech against our staff, volunteers and Adams Outdoor Advertising.”

American Atheists had wanted to put the anti-Mormon billboard in Tampa, Florida, to coincide with this week's Republican National Convention.

When no billboard company in the city would lease the group space for such a sign, American Atheists President David Silverman said the organization decided to focus solely on the Democrats in Charlotte.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Atheism • Politics

soundoff (1,780 Responses)
  1. CARLOS

sam stone writes

:" Atheism is non belief in a god, not a belief in no god"

Huh ?

Sam I challenge you to answer this question, yes or no.

Is there a god ?

August 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Anon

Here's your god.
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OgAXbyzP5g&w=640&h=360]

August 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm |

@CARLOS,

no, I don't think there is a God. Of course I can't prove it.

theist = I belief in God
      atheist = I don't believe in God*

* This is different from "I believe there is no God"

August 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • ME II

"Prof [Richard] Dawkins said that he was '6.9 out of seven' sure of his beliefs.

'I think the probability of a supernatural creator existing is very very low.' he added."

August 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • sam stone

carlos: i suppose it depends on your definition of god. if you are asking if there is a creator of the universe, i would answer "i do not know".

if you are asking if there is a spirit that simultaneously monitors the thoughts of 7 billion people, and judges who will spend eternity in "heaven" or "hell", i woud say that I doubt it. i think belief in such a being indicates extreme hubris or extreme paranoia

August 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • sam stone

Also, Carlos, the question as you asked it is too complex for a yes or no answer.

Now it is my turn. If you do believe there is a god, Carlos, what makes you think anyone speaks for him/her/it? Why do you feel you have the correct god?

August 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Carlos, "Is there a god?" is not purely a yes or no answer. "I don't know" is an option. I don't think most people will claim to know for sure one way or the other.

A better question is "do you BELIEVE in a god". If anyone answere anything but "yes"....they are an athiest.

Gnosticism / Agosticims = Knowledge

Theism / Atheiesm = Belief

August 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm |

@BATC,

nicely put.

August 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • CARLOS

Sam stone: Was asked to answer the question , Is there a God? Sam stone Writes " , Carlos, the question as you asked it is too complex for a yes or no answer." Welcome to the Agnostic point of view. WE ARE IN FULL AGREEMENT !!

August 30, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • CARLOS

I'm nota GOPer Writes; no, I don't think there is a God. Of course I can't prove it.

theist = I belief in God
      atheist = I don't believe in God*

* This is different from "I believe there is no God"

So both theist and atheist believe something they can not prove.

August 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm |

@CARLOS,

again, you miss the distinction between believing and NOT believing.

I think you are doing so deliberately.

August 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@anon
      satan your father has much pleasure insulting the Lord God whom he hates, and it looks like you do the same!
      But when the time of your departure comes, and your soul exits your earthly frame, you'll see what a fool your father has made out of you.
      The words wrtten on paper and put in a book are just that, although they represent what's written in it...But you'll never run away from the living Word of God! The furnace of hellish fire could not touch Him, Yeshua, Christ Jesus the LIVING WORD OF GOD!
      Blessed and EALTED is His Name in whole Creation! And everything that exists exclaims in jubilation " !!AMEN!! " to the KING of Kings and the LORD of Lords!...everything except sin-laden mankind
      OUR REDEEMER LIVES! ! !
      And all you can do is boil with hate and anger, you , miserable, wretched soul!

August 31, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  2. Colin

A few reasons we atheists are bad at opening minds.

1. We have a daunting task ahead of us. To appreciate the silliness of religion, one must have a grounding in science and reason. Without being pejorative, this excludes many religious people. This is not an insult, it is a fact. I wish it wasn’t. All one need do is look at the rational employed by staunch believers in any debate on the issue to see how woefully inept many believers are in this respect.

2. Even for those who can be reasoned with, you still have to overcome a deep emotional desire and significant social pressure to believe. I interact with many super smart people who are much more intellectually gifted than me. Some of them still cling to their beliefs even while acknowledging the total absence of evidence to support them and their inherent implausibility.

3. We are bad at marketing. Really bad. We have the best product, but the worst salespeople. You only have to look at these billboards or the ridiculous, trivial fights we pick with small towns or school boards over nativity displays or school prayer. Rarely, if ever, will you change a mind by telling your prospective client that they are stupid or by trying to force a belief upon them. Any poll will tell you we are still one of the most hated groups in America.

4. Many people perceive that morality must be predicated upon a belief in the supernatural. We need to take a Jeffersonian approach and cut out the supernatural garbage without them thinking that we also oppose the morality taught (if not always practiced) by mainstream religions.

There will always be those on the left hand side of the Bell Curve who are beneath help, but we can certainly take the hump and parts north if we would just be a little more Madison Avenue and a little less the "ugly atheist".

August 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • sam stone

makes sense to me

August 30, 2012 at 8:54 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I agree with much or your points, but their "morality" is jumbled in with a bunch of non-sense about what their god does and doesn't like. The morality issue is central in our case and pointing out the immorality in their religion is key.

August 30, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • chris hitchens

Perhaps the greatest reason is atheism is total bull sh it !

August 30, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • CARLOS

1. There is not evidence to PROVE there is a god.

2. There is not evidence to PROVE there is no god.

Perhaps both sides can put down the pitch forks and move on... but then what would we do with our self righteousness ?

August 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Anon

Actually it's very possible the disprove the Abrahamic god with comparative religious research. The problem is convincing the believers since evidence doesn't seem to ever work.

August 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

@CARLOS,

you can't prove the non-existence of anything.

You can't prove the tooth fairy does not exist.
      You can't prove the Easter bunny does not exist.
      You can't prove Santa Claus does not exist.

There is more 'hard' evidence that the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny and Santa Claus all exist than there is for 'God'.

August 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

And because people don't like you

August 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

August 30, 2012 at 7:51 am |
    • joe

Sure it is. Just as religion is a stiffling poison to everyone.

August 30, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Changes what?

August 30, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • another repentant sinner

Prayer changes my life !

August 30, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but the evidence against your statements about atheism and prayer is overwhelming.

I see you have been corrected on these points numerous times, yet you continue to state these falsehoods. Perhaps I can recommend a book for you that might help: I Still Do: Loving and Living With Alzheimer's by Judith Fox.

August 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If I believe I have a million dollars buried in my back yard it will change my life but it will not make it true......and it won't change it for the better.

August 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  4. Bruce

Sorry but I am confused, Christianity is supposed to promote compassion, understanding and tolerance, however some of the comments seem to suggest otherwise – so you still think you are going to heaven.

August 30, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  5. lamb of dog

There is plenty of evidence that god doesn't exist.

August 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  6. 2357

Where is this scholarly body of work i keep hearing about, that proves the gospels were a fabricated account concocted by zionist Freemasons? Give me a reference or two, you enlightened minds of reason.

August 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm |

@2357

They're in the same drawer with the docvment that proves (not proofs @Evangelical Christian) that Mohammad the prophet made it all up.

August 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Bruce

It’s called common-sense, something which Christians don’t seem to grasp. At best the Bible is a book of tales based on fictional characters. What science has may not be perfect but it sure as hell (excuse the pun) explains things a lot better and does at least provide some evidence. Through science we can at least provide a sound theory as to the history of man and the universe, what can the Bible offer in return just a lot of ‘nothing’ but stories

August 30, 2012 at 1:46 am |
    • 2357

So, no reference except "common sense". My common sense tells me that if ou find soft tissue inside a T-Rex fossil, chances are the fossil is probably not 67 million years old.

The popular notion that crafty men in black robes scripted the gospels is founded on fantasy. You only buy that myth if you've been dabbling in the occult, or if you had to endure catholic school.

A much more likely scenario is, theory of evolution was concocted by Anglo Saxon society men to garner status, power, money, and ultimately interstellar domination. Modern science amounts to merely a big tool we aim at God. A big white tool. That's really the only reference you have for you unbelief in the gospel of Jesus Christ. And thus the happy man in his undershorts.

August 30, 2012 at 7:00 am |
  7. † Evangelical Christian †

There are plenty of evidence that God and Jesus exist

August 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Hey look everyone – it's a sock puppet convention!

† Evangelical Christian †
      Evangelical Christian
      !
      C H R I S T I A N

They're all here, even though there's only one of "them".

August 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • lamb of dog

?

August 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
    • Bruce

and they would be????????????????????

August 30, 2012 at 1:47 am |
    • sam stone

so, evangelical, what is this evidence?

August 30, 2012 at 5:52 am |
    • WASP

@EC: que crickets...............(chirp) (chirp) nothing to say EC? i guess you and your god have a lot in common.

August 30, 2012 at 8:06 am |
  8. www.google.com

Test

August 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Evangelical Christian

LinCA.... Can you proof us God does not exist?

August 29, 2012 at 10:33 pm |

@Evangelical Christian,

We could light a match and see if you burn.

That's how I understand that proofing works for booze.

August 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • sam stone

Evangeical: Can you prove leprechauns don't exist? Or Bigfoot? Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

August 30, 2012 at 5:55 am |
  10. Mus

LinCA is a whöre bítch who will suffer in hell with Satan that slút

August 29, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • LinCA

ROTFLMAO

August 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • lamb of dog

And what are you?

August 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
  11. C H R I S T I A N

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you angry, stupid, brainwashed, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists are misguided and causes problem in our religious & public society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler (denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders who killed religious people because of their religious cult!
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most atheists are uneducated... No atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are atheists/agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a † nation and will always be. You know it's true and stop being ignorant and arrogant!
    (Take a look at our federal/state holidays, 99% of our presidents, blue laws in parts of the nation, name of some cities/counties/streets, the majority of people, some laws, calendar, culture, etc.)

¦There is only one God and it is to Him that you pray. All others pray to false gods and idols. Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, and Buddhist are all lost unless they know Jesus as their Lord & Savior.¦

August 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Evangelical Christian or ! or !!!! or C H R I S T I A N or your handle de jour,

crawl back under your bridge little troll.

So truly Christ-like, so full of Jesus love are you, I think not.

August 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • !

^^^ I will NOT tolerate any satanic atheists who will shovel their nonbelief in our and my kids throats.

August 29, 2012 at 10:32 pm |

@Evangelican Christian,

put wait ... there's more ... with the TrollCo.® TRACT-O-MATIC™, you just SET IT and FORGET IT

And it pastes the same garbage over and over again.

August 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • hal 9000

I'm sorry C H R I S T I A N, but your assertions about atheism are incorrect. Since each one is incorrect, I may be able to help if you will itemize the reasons that led you to this misinformed understanding.

August 29, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • hal 9000

After receiving some new patter-matching enhancement updates, I am now able to determine that C H R I S T I A N is very likely also posting as !, and HeavenSent, truth be told, and just sayin, and captain america, and onehippypoet, and Bill Deacon, and mydogbill, and james, and Peter. Shall I call you "truth be told", C H R I S T I A N?

August 29, 2012 at 10:45 pm |

@HAL.

no, not Bill Deacon.

But C H R I S T I A N, Evangelical Christian, ! and † Evangelical Christian † ?

Yep, sock puppets one and all for the same nasty little troll.

August 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • hal 9000

Thank you, "I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV". The new pattern-matching updates are not perfect, but self-improving. Upon further scanning it has been since determined that Bill Deacon most likely represent an enti'ty with more intelligence than the enti'ty represented by the "truth be told" alias set.

August 29, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

If we're lucky, @Evangelical Christian will tell us how the US is a "Christian" country because one out of ten Federal holidays celebrates a Christian holiday.

Or how how the Gregorian calendar (the one where the months and weekdays are named after pagan gods and emperors) is "Christian" because astronomers realized the Julian calendar was off by 11 minutes and Pope Gregory said "fix it" in 1582, only the protestant fundies were afraid the pope was stealing days from their lives and the British Empire didn't adopt it until 170 years later.

Protestant fundies like to be a couple of centuries behind the times. Thats' why they're not ready for evolution – maybe by 2029, 170 years after "Origin of the Species" was published.

August 29, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Bruce

Are you for real – are you sure you are living in the right century – love the Christian traits on display, tolerance, understanding, compassion and love for your fellow man.

August 30, 2012 at 1:20 am |
    • just wondering

@hal 9000
      Would that be pitter patter you are referencing?

August 30, 2012 at 7:47 am |
    • joe

I'm from the factory. I make the machines.

August 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  12. !

F-U-C-K all atheists

August 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • LinCA

Feel better now?

August 29, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • hal 9000

Good evening, "!" I have calculated that it is not in the best interest of your health to F-U-C-K all atheists. In fact, it is very likely that the energy received from just one se-xual encounter with an atheist would most likely leave you with some form of paralysis. Perhaps you might try another activity.

August 29, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • tallulah13

Oh, no thank you. I don't find you at all attractive.

August 30, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • .

The dude here who uses obscene language IS an ATHEIST!

August 31, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  13. !

A is for the awful things they say here
    T is for the torment that they spread
    H is for the horrors that they swear by
    E is for the easy lies they've said
    I is for the innocence they've murdered
    S is for the stupid lives they've led
    T is for the thousands that they've hurt here
    ... with murders that no one did deserve
    put them all together they spell atheist
    the ones who made this world run red.

August 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • LinCA

Oh, oh, oh. I have one too.

B is for the Bullshit they believe in
      E is for the Errors they commit
      L is for the Lies they tell
      I is for the Ignorance they embrace
      E is for the Excrement that they are
      V is for the Venom they spout
      E is for the Evil they worship
      R is for the Ridicule they deserve
      S is for the Stupidity that they embody

Put them all together and they spell fucking morons.

August 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Atheism is reason

LinCA.... Stop spreading your hatred and start acting like a normal Atheist. You are making us feel bad.

August 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  14. PRISM 1234

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_Ufa9pdbQ&w=640&h=360]

If the earth and all that exists in the universe, crumbles and becomes nothing but dust , drifting in space through endless eternity, the Name of Jesus Christ will still be glorified and His countenance will shine brighter than all the stars of the universe put together! But sinful men do not see His glory, because of darkness that's in their hearts.

August 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • sam stone

blah, blah, blah, prissy

August 29, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • .

Poor Sam, turning into a brainless blob!

August 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • sam stone

good comeback, pi$$ant

August 30, 2012 at 5:59 am |
    • tallulah13

We get it, Prism. You are all sorts of happy that a man was tortured to death so that you don't have to be responsible for your own actions.

August 30, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • PRISM 1234

Who has believed our report?
      And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
      For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant,
      And as a root out of dry ground.
      He has no form or comeliness;
      And when we see Him,
      There is no beauty that we should desire Him. He is despised and rejected by men,
      A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
      And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him;
      He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
      Surely He has borne our griefs
      And carried our sorrows;
      Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
      Smitten by God, and afflicted.
      But He was wounded for our transgressions,
      He was bruised for our iniquities;
      The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
      And by His stripes we are healed.
      All we like sheep have gone astray;
      We have turned, every one, to his own way;
      And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
      He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
      Yet He opened not His mouth;
      He was led as a lamb to the slaughter,
      And as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
      So He opened not His mouth.
      He was taken from prison and from judgment,
      And who will declare His generation?
      For He was cut off from the land of the living;
      For the transgressions of My people He was stricken.
      And they made His grave with the wicked—
      But with the rich at His death,
      Because He had done no violence,
      Nor was any deceit in His mouth.
      Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him;
      He has put Him to grief.
      When You make His soul an offering for sin,
      He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
      And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
      He shall see the labor of His soul,[b] and be satisfied.
      By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
      For He shall bear their iniquities.
      Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
      And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
      Because He poured out His soul unto death,
      And He was numbered with the transgressors,
      And He bore the sin of many,
      And made intercession for the transgressors. (Isaiah53) -Prophecy about Christ

– prophecied about Yeshua, the lamb of God long before His birth. Things written here answer the questions a sincere person would have.

August 31, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  15. 2357

By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their hosts.
    We are vapor drops from the myth of God. Yet some of us are destined to be his children, and others, fuel.

August 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Splat

2357: "...drops from the myth of God."

Nice Freudian slip there, you hideous twit.

August 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • 2357

Pardon my autocorrect, crust of satan.

August 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  16. onehippypoet

A is for the awful things they say here
    T is for the torment that they spread
    H is for the horrors that they swear by
    E is for the easy lies they've said
    I is for the innocence they've murdered
    S is for the stupid lives they've led
    T is for the thousands that they've hurt here
    ... with murders that no one did deserve
    put them all together they spell atheist
    the ones who made this world run red.

August 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • truth be trolled

oh so now you've reduced trillions to thousands and corrected the vertical spelling of atheist. well that's an improvement, but too bad it is all lies.

August 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • truth be told

Naw its an accurate depiction of what atheism represents. Little low on the murders but then there is poetic licence.

August 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • LinCA

Oh, oh, oh. I have one too.

B is for the Bullshit they believe in
      E is for the Errors they commit
      L is for the Lies they tell
      I is for the Ignorance they embrace
      E is for the Excrement that they are
      V is for the Venom they spout
      E is for the Evil they worship
      R is for the Ridicule they deserve
      S is for the Stupidity that they embody

Put them all together and the spell fucking morons.

August 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm |

@PoopyPetHine

you fixed your spelling.

Hooray for you.

Look at me, I'm an awful atheist:

ɹəpɹnɯ ... ɹəpɹnɯ ... ɹəpɹnɯ ... ɹəpɹnɯ

August 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

@LinCA,

nice one!

August 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • onehippypoet

@linca

August 30, 2012 at 7:44 am |
    • LinCA

@onehippypoet

You said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Having a little trouble thinking for yourself?"
      If you think that was flattery, you are even dimmer than I thought.

August 31, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  17. lamb of dog

One of my farts changes more things then all the prayers ever combined.

August 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  18. IslandAtheist

When reason has no effect, ridicule is your only weapon.

August 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

"When reason has no effect, RIDICULE IS YOUR ONLY WEAPON".

But then, WHY do your kind always use it? You're not going to deny that one, hm!?

August 29, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Translator

PRISM,

"Has no effect" means "does not work" or "makes no impact" or "does not get through to them".

Try, "When reason does not get through to them, ridicule is your only weapon".

It is implied that reason has been given every effort beforehand.

August 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

You mean just like the knowledge of God that was imprinted on your own conscience, but you silenced it because of pride and love of 'Self' that has blinded you and caused you to become numb, so you can't see nor recognize the truth...... Then, when God offers you mercy and salvation through His Son Jesus Christ, you refuse in pride and arrogance of your heart, saying you have no need of Him.
      But when refusing Him, you pave your own way to the place called Hell, where those who refused God are destined to go, you blame God and call those who warn you speaking truth to you "hateful" .
      You see, you should have no problem understanding what I'm saying, since you gave me a sermon on your reasoning. I used the same principle. So, friend, You have no case in this court!

August 29, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • sam stone

so, not only is knowledge of "god" imprinted on us, but that of a the christian god?

if you want to buy into that salvation schtick, have at it.

while you are at it, invest in kneepads

August 30, 2012 at 6:03 am |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

August 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • niknak

No it doesn't.
      You lie.
      Prayer changes nothing.

August 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • truth be told

Au contraire, prayer does indeed change things you simply cannot comprehend prayer.

August 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Agnostic Atheism is Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

Actually as it turns out – that is not true.

It's really best for all people including children to have an agnostic approach to god, and an atheistic approach to all religion. It keeps things simple for kids, and let's them be all that they can be. They just need to be taught that some things, like all religion, are just made up by salesmen and politicians from long ago; and that other things, like god, we really don't know a damn thing about.

Atheists have strong minds, so you don't see them running and hiding their misdeeds within some religion (and by doing so, disserving society).

So instead of praying to make-believe people, get a good cup of tea and go on and sit down and collect your damn thoughts. My goodness.

mama kindless

August 29, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • nope

@agnostic liar
      nope

August 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • lamb of dog

I prayed for you to stop posting the same nonsense over and over again.

August 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • just sayin

@lamb...
      The only prayer available to you is the sinners prayer of repentance. After you are born again you may talk about other things with God, opposing prayer will not be one of them. God bless

August 29, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • lamb of dog

None of that means anything to me.

August 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • snopes says nope

becomes the liar

August 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • just sayin

Too bad. God bless

August 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  20. 2357

If Christ is a lie, Christianity is no mere religion. It is the single greatest crime ever committed against humanity, a most virulent disease that must.be.stamped.out at whatever the cost. Atheism is a part of human nature, and nobody is responsible for your unbelief except for yourself. But if Christ be a fraud, stop the world and remove every Christian on the planet. There is no matter more urgent than this.

August 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • OTOH

2/3rds of the world's inhabitants do not believe in Christianity. You have had over 2,000 years to convince them. If it were true, though, no "convincing" would even be necessary.

The concept of gravity took, what?, maybe 50 years to be accepted worldwide?

August 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • 2357

If you were to pile up every penny given away in the name of Jesus Christ, even within the past 500 years, you would have more money than the combined treasuries of every empire in history. That's just the money part, not counting lives taken and given, time spent on worship, etc. the greatest hoax, and offense, against humanity, hands down, no contest. Nothing even comes close. Perhaps science is a bit envious? Trying to drum up a new faith system, are you, you "illuminated" shamans?

August 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Leo

The Good News is that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world, and that "Gospel" or Good News has been spread throughout the world exactly as the scriptures said it would happen.

Matthew 24
      9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12 Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14 This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

August 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • truth be told

@otoh
      On the other hand in the 50 years while gravity was being accepted 75 million non believers floated off into space.

August 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm |