home
RSS
Atheist group removes billboards targeting presidential candidates' religious faith
American Atheists says it took down billboards critical of the candidates' religions in Charlotte, North Carolina, after threats.
August 27th, 2012

By Dan Gilgoff and Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) - An atheist group that raised a pair of billboards taking aim at the presidential candidates’ religion at the site of next month’s Democratic National Convention has pulled the signs after what the group called a “large volume of threats.”

The billboards, sponsored by American Atheists, took aim at Mormonism and Christianity and went up this month in Charlotte, North Carolina, which will play host to the Democratic convention.

Presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney is a Mormon, and President Barack Obama is also a Christian.

The billboard targeting Christianity featured an image of Jesus Christ on toast and this description of the faith: "Sadistic God; Useless Savior, 30,000+ Versions of ‘Truth,’ Promotes Hates, Calls it ‘Love.’ ”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The billboard targeting Mormonism lambasted - and, Mormons would say, distorted - specific Mormon doctrines: "God is a Space Alien, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry.”

The Mormon billboard featured a man in white underwear, a reference to special Mormon garments.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“It is with regret that we tell our members and all of those who treasure free speech and the separation of religion and government that American Atheists and Adams Outdoor Advertising have mutually agreed to remove the billboards immediately,” Amanda Knief, American Atheists’ managing director, said in a statement last week.

“No subject, no idea should be above scrutiny - and this includes religion in all forms,” Knief said. “We are saddened that by choosing to express our rights as atheists through questioning the religious beliefs of the men who want to be our president that our fellow citizens have responded with vitriol, threats and hate speech against our staff, volunteers and Adams Outdoor Advertising.”

American Atheists had wanted to put the anti-Mormon billboard in Tampa, Florida, to coincide with this week's Republican National Convention.

When no billboard company in the city would lease the group space for such a sign, American Atheists President David Silverman said the organization decided to focus solely on the Democrats in Charlotte.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 2012 Election • Atheism • Politics

soundoff (1,780 Responses)
  1. socialsaint

A pro-atheism billboard would have been fine, an anti-religion billboard that promotes bigotry is not ok. Imagine if they would have put up similar billboards about Muslims and Jews? I'm glad that the companies refused to promote bigotry, but it is sad that some people felt the need to threaten the atheists. If they would have succeeded in displaying the billboards, I bet more people would have realized that atheists aren't immune to the bigotry they accuse others of having.

August 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Actually, they did put up anti-Mulsim and Jew Billboards

August 27, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • socialsaint

Well, that just makes them much less sympathetic. Did they put up anti-African American billboards? After all, minorities tend to be much more religious than whites.

August 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"an anti-religion billboard that promotes bigotry is not ok."

1. What about a sign that says atheists are going to hell, is that ok because I see those all the time?

2. Please explain how these promote "bigotry". The signs do not say you should not be allowed to believe in these religions or that people of these religions should be treated differently. They just ridicule those beliefs as being absurd, it is not bigotry or hate and implying it is is being overly dramatic.

August 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • socialsaint

These billboards misrepresent the beliefs of Mormons and Christians in order to make members of the groups seem morally corrupt, weird, and "not like the rest of us." They are not accurate representations of either mainstream Mormon or Christian belief and rely on stereotypes of Mormonism and Christianity.

Signs that say that atheists are going to hell are fine, unless it is understood that the sign is trying to say that atheists are morally bad people. It'ld be the same as an atheist putting up a sign that said that Christians will slowly turn into dirt after they die and that there is no afterlife. Those statements promote a groups belief without making the other group out to be evil. If a Christian group put up a billboard that said "Atheists are evil," that would be fomenting bigotry.

August 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Signs that say that atheists are going to hell are fine, unless it is understood that the sign is trying to say that atheists are morally bad people."

So you don't think saying I am "going to hell" is not also implying I am "morally bad"? The message is I am going to hell AND I deserve it. So do think they are saying morally good people are being sent to hell by their 'loving' god? Of course they are saying we are 'evil'...we deserve to be punished for eternity, how could that message be taken otherwise?

"They are not accurate representations of either mainstream Mormon or Christian belief and rely on stereotypes of Mormonism and Christianity."

I was a christian for 35 years and I would say this sign was completely accurate in reference to christian dogma. In fact the sign hits some of the reasons I rejected it. (a sign would need to be much bigger to list them all).

I am not morman but I do know they did not allow black people to be Pastors in their faith until the 70's, so there is your bigotry. Mormans have baptised dead people. They do have "big money" and huge influence.

So from what I can tell these signs were an accurate perception.

No where do these signs say or even imply the followers are "evil"?

August 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Laurie

Just a small point here. The people doing the threatening, were Christians and Muslims. Just sayin...

August 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  2. Nietodarwin

These threats are just further proof that religion is basically mental illness. The religious actually believe that atheists are evil, because we don't believe in a god. This is years of brainwashing. A lack of belief in your 'god" does not mean we worship a devil, or worship anything. You have to believe in god to believe in the devil. We believe in math.

August 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • socialsaint

I also think that everyone who doesn't agree with me is mentally ill. Ron Paul 2012!

August 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  3. Nietodarwin

Typical religious reaction. Believe in my loving god or I will murder you and bomb your house.

August 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • socialsaint

If murder truly were the "typical religious reaction" there would be no atheists by now. After all, atheists comprise only a very small percentage of the population and people who believe in God make up an overwhelming majority.

August 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Laurie

And which God is yours?

August 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  4. dt

I found the billboard funny. I think anyone should be able to believe what they want without persecution. This wouldn't have happened if a Christian or Catholic billboard was negatively received. It's just sad how unsecure Christians are being thrown into a changing world and don't know how to handle it without bigotry and nonsensical arguments. I guess you can't change a couple thousand years of practice

August 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • socialsaint

I bet a Christian group would have gotten a similar reaction if they had tried to put up an anti-Muslim or anti-any other group billboard. Promoting your own beliefs is fine, but fomenting bigotry is not ok.

August 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • skeptic

Socialsaint, you need to learn what bigotry is. There is a difference between mocking beliefs and mocking people.

August 28, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
  5. Slyjinx

It's funny that when an atheist billboard is put up that the group receives threats. Meanwhile, there are hundreds, if not thousands of pro-god billboards littering this country.

It just goes to show that the first amendment only applies to the devout. No one else is allowed an opinion.

August 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

The first amendment does not give you the right to lie and atheism is a proven lie. Romney / Ryan 2012

August 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ronnie, people are most certainly permitted to lie. You do it all the time and nothing happens to you.

August 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Simran

Ronald,
      CORRECTION: the Bible doesnot give you the right to lie.... And yet, you sin!

August 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

August 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Slyjinx

Ronnie, how has atheism been proven a lie? That's a funny comment coming from someone who relies on faith. You know it's called faith for a reason (I'll give you a hint: It's faith because there is NO PROOF of a god)

Your statement is ridiculous on so many levels.

August 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

August 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Slyjinx

"Get all your sinning in before November dipstick after that it is going to be America restored to righteousness ! Romney/ Ryan 2012"

How exactly do you think that is going to happen. This country is already overrun by the religious right and it's the worse thing to ever happen to this country.
      Do you remember the "righteous" GW Bush? The "good christian" that made this the most hated country in the world.

Yup, we really need more of that. /sarcasm

August 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • 24shamsky

Wrong, Ronald. Putting aside for a moment the fact that "proven lie" does not mean "any position that Ronald Regonzo disagrees with," the good folks at Fox News thoughtfully chose to litigate this very issue, and thanks to the decision in "New World Communication of Tampa, Inc. v. Akre," deliberate lies and distortions of the news are now considered protected speech under the First Amendment. So not only are you incorrect on the facts, but on the law as well.

August 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • socialsaint

A pro-atheism billboard would have been fine, but a billboard that promotes anti-religious bigotry is intolerant and wrong. That said, atheists have the right to put up whatever billboard they want and companies have a right to refuse to display them.

August 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Slyjinx

"God has revealed Himself to His creation in the person of Jesus Christ. Atheism is proven a lie."

LOL! Other than a book written 2,000 by, well who knows, there is no proof of jesus or god. Sorry but that's just wishful thinking on your part.

August 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Don't want to go along with the restored America, no problem-Mountain Meadows ! Romney / Ryan 2012

August 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • SLG

I believe what this article shows is that conservatives respect and defend the 1st ammendment rights of all Americans while liberals only tolerate the right to free speech of those that think like they do. I am a Conservative Christian and do not believe in what the Atheists believe. But I have no problem with them putting up their billboards. I don't have to look at them when I drive by. However, liberals don't want anybody to see the billboards. So much so that they resort to threats. There are, of course, exceptions on both sides. But those exceptions appear to always be heavier on the liberal side. And before someone brings up the fact that the billboards were not allowed in the city where the Rebublicans are holding their convention, remember this. Tampa is run 100% by Democrats.

August 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Slyjinx

socailsaint, how is pointing out bigotry of religion bigotry? Look no farther that Westboro baptist of Rev Terry Jones in Florida. Those are just two examples of hatred and bigotry in the name of god. I'm sure I could find a hundred more.

August 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Slyjinx

SLG, did you even read the article? It's about an atheist group that received threats for putting up a billboard. Your post makes no sense. Atheist groups haven't asked that pro-religion billboards be taken down and certainly not through threats of violence.

Tell you what, why don't you actually read what it says then get back to me without the anti-liberal nonsense in your post.

August 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • 24shamsky

So SLG, do you really think that the people who responded to pro-atheism billboards with death threats were liberals? What color is the sky in your world?

August 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • socialsaint

These billboards promote bigotry by casting a minority group "Mormons" as weird, bigoted, and "other." The billboard does not accurately represent Mormon beliefs, rather it relies on false stereotypes. It's similar with the anti-Christian billboard. The goal of the billboard is to persuade people that a certain group is evil, weird, or "not like the rest of us." Therefore, they promote bigotry.

August 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Slyjinx

Socialsaint. I don't see bigotry in the billboards. If you want to see bigotry look at this billboard

August 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Laurie

Oh Ronnie, you'd never get along where I live. God is in all of us. We are all God's children. Including Jesus Christ. Oh by the way, he was a Jewish carpenter. OUCHIE...did that hurt? So, yes he was born the son of God. But,,,ironically....so were you.

August 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
    • Michelle Campbell

Atheism has been proven a lie. The Bible and other records bear witness and testify of Christ. People saw him, worked with him, preached with him, saw him crucified and rise from the death. Needless to say there are many other records that bare witness that he lived. I believe in God. Man, take a look around you and see the wonderful things that have been created. For example, the leaves on trees, their colors, their sizes and shapes, not to mention how they operate to maximise exposure for photosythesis and their exchanging of carbon dioxide, oxygen, water and vapor in the atmosphere and that is just the makeup of a small leaf. You have to be intellectually dead to know that their must be a higher power who had the brains and creativity to create all the wonderful things on this earth, MAN being the best creation of all.

August 29, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.
    PROVEN

August 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jesus

No, you're a proven liar.Prayer does not; you are such a LIAR. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

August 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Slyjinx

What has prayer ever changed? There is no proof.

August 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • another repentant sinner

Prayer changed my life !

August 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changed my life !"

Nah, it was just you. That's not proof.

August 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • another repentant sinner

August 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Jesus

"Personal testimony is acceptable in a court of law. It happened to me, prayer changed my life, proof positive !"

Nah, it was just yourself doing it, you have no proof, you'd be laughed out of court.

August 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • another repentant sinner

I am accepted in the highest court you are not.

August 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Jesus

"I am accepted in the highest court you are not."

Nah your imaginary friend doesn't count since there is no proof of it, it just comes down to you and it wouldn't hold up in court.

August 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  7. montymoose2

ONE DAY WHEN THOSE WHO PROMOTE ANTI THEISM STAND IN FRONT OF GOD AND HE ASKS THEM
    "WHY SHOULD I LET YOU INTO MY HEAVEN "
    It will be very interesting to hear their answers....
    Probably they will say... I didnt know you really existed,,,,
    God might answer...I GAVE YOU A BOOK OF INSTRUCTIONS AND I SENT MY SON TO GIVE YOU THE MESSAGE PERSONALLY . I EVEN PAID THE PRICE OF ADMISSION FOR YOU...
    You refused it.... Now its too late.DEPART FROM ME

August 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I don't believe in your silly story. Get bent.

August 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • What IF

Interesting fantasy, montymoose2, but fantasy nonetheless, since you have not a scintilla of verified evidence that anything of the sort has ever happened or ever will happen.

August 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

montymoose2,

You are right. I am going to take what your are saying and apply God's teaching to my life and the life of my son. He is young enough so I can leave his life and he will not remember me, I will however have my neighbor down the street write a book about me and let my son know I exist. I will return to his life when he is about 40 years old, if at that time he believes I am his father and he loves me I will buy him a car, if he does not I will set him on fire. It all makes sense now, whatever happens he is responsible for the outcome, I will have done everything I can, my conscience will be clean.

August 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  8. therealpeace2all

FROM THE ARTICLE:

1) "An atheist group that raised a pair of billboards taking aim at the presidential candidates’ religion at the site of next month’s Democratic National Convention has pulled the signs after what the group called a “large volume of threats.”

2) " American Atheists said the billboards provoked a “large volume of threats” by phone and e-mail and that the group reported the threats to police. "

“3) "It is with regret that we tell our members and all of those who treasure free speech and the separation of religion and government that American Atheists and Adams Outdoor Advertising have mutually agreed to remove the billboards immediately,” Amanda Knief, American Atheists’ managing director, said in a statement last week. "

4) “ No subject, no idea should be above scrutiny – and this includes religion in all forms,” Knief said. “We are saddened that by choosing to express our rights as atheists through questioning the religious beliefs of the men who want to be our president that our fellow citizens have responded with vitriol, threats and hate speech against our staff, volunteers and Adams Outdoor Advertising.”

--------------------------------------------------------–

Yes, true... some atheists can be quite abusive here on the blogs. But, making literal "threats" that actually require a group of people to fear for their lives, that it causes them to take down billboards, which in effect, denies them their... rights to free speech, is absolutely insane.

What's going on with some of you Christians out there ?

Peace...

August 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • J.W

They should have kept them up anyways. I am sure people like Fred Phelps have been threatened a few times but they keep going.

August 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • montymoose2

LET SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CHRISTIANS....
      WELL WE HAVE THE FAITH OF ABRAHAM... WE BELIEVE IN THE PROMISES OF GOD....

WHAT DO NON CHRISTIANS LOOK FORWARD TO??

August 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@montymoose2,

... atheists are looking forward to being left alone by religionists.

August 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • therealpeace2all

@J.W

Hey, buddy...! How are you ?

" They should have kept them up anyways. "

Well, I guess it depends on just how serious the threats were. Apparently, they didn't think it was worth the risk.

Peace...

----------------------
      @montymoose2

" LET SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CHRISTIANS....
      WELL WE HAVE THE FAITH OF ABRAHAM... WE BELIEVE IN THE PROMISES OF GOD....

WHAT DO NON CHRISTIANS LOOK FORWARD TO?? "

Your posting has nothing to do with the threats being made by some crazy Christians.

Peace...

August 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Pete

I look forward to a large steak and some good beer for dinner.

August 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@montymoose2,

First off, why are you yelling at us? I find it is much more likely to be heard if you speak politely, and without screaming in all caps. It only makes you look angry.

LET SEE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CHRISTIANS....
      WELL WE HAVE THE FAITH OF ABRAHAM... WE BELIEVE IN THE PROMISES OF GOD....

And this gives you (meaning people wearing the label of Christian) the right to make violent threats against those who do not share that faith?

WHAT DO NON CHRISTIANS LOOK FORWARD TO??

This is, of course, a complete non-sequitur. Your question has no bearing on the situation at hand. It is also very vague and so non-specific as to be very difficult to answer.

August 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  9. Wrenn_NYC

PRISM 1234 said

"Now, why do you spend YOUR time on "belief blog"?I spend mine here because I know that God has His lost sheep here also, as satan has his goats. So, if you are asking me the question why I'm here , then answer it also for yourself! Duh!"

Then you're disobeying your holy book.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

August 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Simran

PRISM,
      How many lost sheep do you need to find to get entry pass to heaven? How many have you gathered yet?

Is there a free ticket too – like for the pastors who bang little boys!!!

August 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Oh lovely – someone cites Paul the author of Romans. I prefer to think of him as the Joseph Smith of mainstream Christianity. Rubbish by politicians and salesmen sold to weak minds long ago.

August 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  10. Colin

A simple, inoffensive:

"Harbour genuine doubts about your faith? The answers you are getting in church seeming a little flimsy? Contact American Atheists to hear the other side of the story. We're not as scary as you might think".

August 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Simran

Oh Colin,
      Do you realy think this will not offend them??? They can take offense at anything, other than Jesus. They are offended by other Jesus lovers too!!!

August 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Colin

Some no doubt will. But not offending any of them = silence. this is not a viable option if we want to help those who can be helped rise above their superst.itions.

August 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Colin

this is the approach used by the UK Atheist Bus campaign. It was much more effective because it is positive and uses gentle humor:

Their message is:

THERE'S PROBABLY
      NO GOD
      NOW STOP WORRYING
      AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE

http://www.atheistbus.org. uk/ (remove the space)

August 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Mars

Colin, I think you're on the right track. I'm an non-theist and am a tad embarrassed by the billboards. I know, marketing flare is evidently called for, but perhaps we should leave propoganda tactics to the religion –perhaps we should be 'straight forward'

August 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • J.W

I would not be offended by Colin's billboard.

August 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  11. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

So now that there's a second article on this topic (which is hardly surprising) we will go through all the same tired debate as the ~7,300 posts (and counting) on the first article.

I wish there was a polling capability here. I'd suggest the following poll:

1. Do you think it was a good thing to remove these billboards. (yes / no)

2. Do you believe in God (yes / no)

My guess is that the answer for question 1. would be overwhelmingly "yes".

My second guess is that for those who answer no to question 2, the majority of them will vote "yes" on question1.

– These billboards were designed to irritate and offend people.
    – Clearly they succeeded at that.
    – Their tone was indistinguishable from anti-atheist billboards placed by evangelical groups.
    – That doesn't make them 'right'.

I hate the double standard here.

August 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

GOP,

I answer "no" to both questions though I do agree these billboards were snarky and divisive. I like Colin's suggestion better but that doesn't mean they should have to take them down. There is a billboard not 2 miles from my house that reads "Where are you going....Heaven.....or Hell" which is every bit as offensive, if not more so. The news does not report on these because it is a "dog bites man" story. My guess is the American Atheists were trying to be divisive in order to get media coverage with the idea any 'press' is good 'press'.

August 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • n473b

I would answer 1. yes 2. no

And only yes on the first one because of the death threats. Could you imagine how hard it would be for the aa to get a billboard company to rent space from if someone would have died over this?

August 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@n473b,

I'm with you there and mostly for the same reasons. I never thought these billboards were an effective strategy, and there's no point having anyone get hurt over them.

August 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

GOP,

I agree they should be taken down if there is a serious threat to people's lives, and it sounds like there was. But your question was "is it good they were taken down" and no I don't think it was "good". The expression of opposition was suppressed with threats of violence and on some level it is like giving in to the demands of terrorists. My opinion is 'it is not right that they had to take them down, but I understand why they did'.

August 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  12. DC

PRISM 1234: Can you present a case as to why I should believe in your God? If it is worth spending your time on this blog, why won't you make a case for your beliefs?

August 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • James

DC is an avid viewer of Jerry's show proving dumbing down America worked and created the atheists.

August 27, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • blogger formerly known as Who invited me?

Logic and reason creates atheists. When did you figure out the tooth fairy wasn't real?...the easter bunny?...and along the same fictional lines...god?

August 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Reality

James is a secret admirer of Springer's show. He cant speak of it among his own people, so he advertises it here.

August 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Reality

Said comments were not from the original Reality.

August 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

Yeah – the "Reality: James is a secret admirer . ." post is definitely not in the style of the real Reality, but I would bet it was from HeavenSent/truth be told/"Atheism is not Healthy"/captain america/Peter/James, you know Carrie's mama.

August 27, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  13. EnjaySea

I'm an atheist, and prefer that those who put up the billboards, would stay off my side.

Believers have an overwhelming impression that atheism and antagonism are synonymous. The over-the-top, name-calling by this group of atheists didn't do anything to dispell those misconceptions.

August 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • DC

I agree. The problem is that religious groups are so powerful and have so much money that they can force things like creationism into the classroom, and religious morality into the legal system. I don't like the attacking nature of the billboards, I prefer rational debate.

August 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • ME II

I'm not a fan of these billboards either, not these mocking ones anyway. However, being forced, or intimidated, to take them down is worse, by far, I think.

August 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • DC

To ME II: Good point!

August 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Colin

I actually agree. Rarely does one close a sale by telling the customer that they are idiots for using their current product. We are terrible at the gentle art of persuasion.

August 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  14. ME II

Where is the condemnation of these threats from those who often say, "Where's the condemnation from all the Iman's?"

Just wondering.

August 27, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  15. DC

To PRISM 1234: you wrote : "spend mine here because I know that God has His lost sheep here also, as satan has his goals" How do you KNOW this?

August 27, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  16. Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'PRISM 1234' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

August 27, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • PARROT ALERT

Bird on-the -loose alert!

FALLACY SPOTTING is a PARROT!
      Polly wanna cra/cker! ! ! !

August 27, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  17. DC

PRISM 1234: your have not presented a case for your God. You have simply made a claim. That claim is not supported by any evidence. Muslims, make the same claims you make. (although they believe in the same God)

August 27, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  18. Bob

Prism, Jesus is long dead and rotted away. Get over that delusion already. So much evil has been done within what your religion dictates that it is high time for the world to put it in the past and leave it behind. Seriously, think about it; the whole Jesus sacrifice and love thing is a big load of cr@p. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of “sacrifice” and was required to deal with “sin” is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are talking about.

Christians, think this through a bit: how come your ‘omnipotent’ creature couldn’t do all that supposed saving without the loony son sacrifice bit anyway? And for that matter, how was it a sacrifice at all, when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time it wants with less than a snap of its fingers? Pretty feeble god it is that you’ve made for yourself there.

Give that some thought and maybe it will help you leave your delusions behind. You will remain a laughingstock otherwise, and the more you dwell in your silly delusion and ancient myths, instead of keeping up with advances in medicine and technology, the more America slips downward relative to the rest of the world in science and other fields.

August 27, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  19. Shane Peters

How sad that the 2 groups who supposedly are peaceful followers of a loving God are willing to issue threats of violence to those who might offend them. Easy to see why there are holy wars in the world. Those of you "believers" who get caught up in "my god is bigger than your god" are SO missing the point of these ancient beliefs. I swear, the Athiests are turning out to be more in line with Christian and Mormon values than the the followers.

August 27, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • PRISM 1234

Shane Peters,
      Why do you feel that speaking the truth of the Word of God is threatening? Are we threatened when we get on the road, and the speed limit sign says 55, and we're to obey it? But arrogant punk goes 75MPH and gets stopped by police, who is then the criminal, he or the policemen who stopped him? There are many who disobeyed, going even faster , and their bodies wrapped around telephone poles, unrecognizable.
      Are you threatened when bottle you hold, smell the content of it, which smells like something to eat, but the label tells you "warning" do not take internally?
      God is our Creator, He gave us guidelines and laws, and if we disregard them, oppose Him, ridicule Him and go our own ways, is there not severe consequence awaiting us? What is there heard to understand?

August 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Huebert

False ana.logy Prism. Religious laws only apply to adherents of said religion. Also until their is ANY evidence for gods existence the "warnings" you give all sound like "Believe like me or my god is going to get you". That isn't a warning it's a threat.

August 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • Bob

Actually, Prism, your god's word according to your book of nasty AKA the bible is both threatening and murderous, so speaking it accurately really would be threatening. Check out some of the explicit instructions to do various horrors like these:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

August 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@Huebert
      If what I said was just my opinion it, you could call it false ana.logy. But it is the truth that's written on everything that exists in this Earth and the entire Universe... except on the hearts of rebellious, self willed human beings who have, through silencing the voices of their consciences, denied their own souls and shut out the truth from their hearts.
      Therefore God who created them has turned them over to satan, the deceiver of their souls, to make them believe lies....
      Because the whole creation acknowledges the Laws of God who created it, and by His laws and principles all things consist.
      But how could you understand what those things mean, when you've shot out the Spirit of Truth and swallowed satan's lies – hook, line and sinker, to the point that you could not even see nor understand the principles that were explained in my previous post to you? You keep saying you wanna proof, but when yhou had it, you denied it through love of Self, and pride that's in yhour heart.
      But you will find out that the very thing in which you've taken so much pride , is the very thing that has doomed your soul, mainly – your own understanding and "superior" intelligence in which you put your your trust!

Then you'll see that you allowed yourself to be fooled, and what you've missed !

August 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
  20. PRISM 1234

Who cares anyway what the atheists say anyway? Let them make fools out of themselves! They can can spend all their money till it runs dry, they can line the highways with their billboards, every one of them to the last bun-dock dirt road, but they'll NEVER do away with God, and His Son Jesus Christ who is the King of all creation.
    And each one of them will squirm like worms in the dust before the glory of His appearance, and will bow their knees in acknowledgment of Who HE IS! So let them rave, let them puff themselves...... time will tell all things. And THAT time will come soon enough!
    Even so, come quickly LORD JESUS!

August 27, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

DELUSIONAL

We would like your Jesus to come also, so we finally have proof of its existence....until then it is nonsensical babble coming from the weak minded gullible fools too lazy to use their brains and be responsible in this world!!!

August 27, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, then, Prissy, if you're so sure of that, why waste your time here bloviating about atheism and jee bus?

August 27, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Huebert

Plenty of gods older than yours have been killed by the inexorable march of time. I don't see why your savior would be any different.

August 27, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Simran

Prsim,
      Now since you beckoned Lord jesus, why don't you spend your time more wisely in preparation for his arrival rather than waste it here in the company of Satan-lovers!!!

August 27, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • DC

While I agree the billboards are weird, do you have an rational justification for your particular beliefs and your particular God? Why should I not believe that other religions are the true path?

August 27, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • DC

TO Simran: Atheist do not believe in Satan. I'm not sure how you concluded that they do. Please explain.

August 27, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'PRISM 1234' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • PRISM 1234

When He came the first time they didn't recieve Him. Today you would do the same as they did.
      THEN He came as a humble man, Lamb of God, to offer Himself for the sins of mankind.
      BUT, when He comes again, He will come as a mighty warrior, and THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Then you can present your case!

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Even so, come quickly LORD JESUS!"

Pining for the end of the world? If life is so precious why do you want it to end as quickly as possible.

Oh and Jesus said he would come quickly, before his current generation had passed.....still waiting....

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • James

Atheist fools worship Jerry Springer and proves that dumbing down America worked to perfection.

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Huebert

@James

HS is that you? You are the only person i know who is obsessed with Jerry Springer.

August 27, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Bob

PRISM 1234, Jesus is long dead and rotted away. Get over that delusion already. So much evil has been done within what your religion dictates that it is high time for the world to put it in the past and leave it behind. Seriously, think about it; the whole Jesus sacrifice and love thing is a big load of crap. The whole premise of Christianity that the death of the son of god would have been any kind of “sacrifice” and was required to deal with “sin” is utter nonsense. This is a supposed omnipotent being that we are talking about.

August 27, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'PRISM 1234' contains a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

August 27, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • PRISM 1234

@simran

August 27, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • Huebert

@prism

I can't answer for Simran, but I will tell you that i am here for fun, the day that posting stops being entertaining is the day i will quit. Now let me ask you a question, Do you actually think that shouting at people over the internet is going to have a chance in hell of converting anyone?

August 27, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • sam stone

Still begging for forgiveness, Prissy?

August 27, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • sam stone

Come on, Prissy, if you thought that you would be in heaven, what would you be doing here on earth? Do you not have tall buildings where you live? Jesus is only a step away, slaveboy

August 27, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Simran

@DC,
      Well there is something called sattire Sir! Sorry, I am just a beginner of this art, so it may not have been evident. Now, when I say atheists are Satan-lovers, I just say what Prism believes. That is the only language Prism understands!!!

August 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Simran

@prism,
      Now I spend my time here bcoz I find it as a great learning experience. In the last few weeks, I have read about dark energy, big bang, evolution, inflation theory, learnt a lot about politics, learnt about how the concept of religion started in Paleolithic age, about the history of various religions, actually even read a bit about their philosophies.
      And of course, not to say the least, I enjoy the kicks I get from pulling your leg!!!!

You just keep looking for lost sheep!!!

August 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • DC

To Simran: No worries mate. My mistake.

August 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Yes, simran, God helps me to spot them! They are worth my spending time here. 🙂

August 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Bob

It's worth a closer look at PRISM's disgusting beliefs according to his book of nasty, AKA the bible. It has horrid instructions like these, and really should not be followed:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

August 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Reality

@Prism,
      So Prism trying to make points with God by heriding back his lost sheep!!! Well, how many points does it take to get entry to heaven? And what's ur score yet?

August 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Reality

Said comments are not from the original Reality.

August 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • A Frayed Knot

PRISM,

A shepherd keeps his sheep for profit and for dinner.

Does your "God" wear lots of woolens and leather and groove on roasted lamb?

Whoever thought up that analogy was just silly.

August 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • 24shamsky

I've never understood why religious people constantly invoke the whole "shepherd" analogy. Why would anyone want to be compared to a group of dimwitted animals whose entire lot in life consists of standing around a field for a few months waiting to be shorn and then eaten?

August 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

"Why would anyone want to be compared to a group of dimwitted animals whose entire lot in life consists of standing around a field for a few months waiting to be shorn and then eaten?"
      And you can't see picture of yourself in it? Why, that's exactly what you do, not even knowing that you're lead to the slaughter by satan, the enemy of your soul who has deceived you.

August 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@Frayed knot
      It must be very fulfilling to flatter yourself believing to be so far advanced, as to disregard the wisdom of all ages past and live in such wonderful, knowledge filled world! Glad you've got it all, bro!

August 27, 2012 at 10:34 pm |