Editor's note: Sumbul Ali-Karamali is the author of "The Muslim Next Door: the Qur’an, the Media, and that Veil Thing, and Growing up Muslim: Understanding the Beliefs and Practices of Islam." She is on the steering committee of Women in Islamic Spirituality and Equality and is a member of the Muslim Women’s Global Shura Council, both of which aim to promote women’s rights and human rights from an Islamic perspective.
By Sumbul Ali-Karamali, Special to CNN
(CNN) - My father always told me never to talk about religion, politics, or other people’s children. He was part of a generation of American Muslims who wanted to stay quiet and assimilate into American life and not rock the boat. Growing up in Southern California, I tried to follow his advice.
But after 9/11, I found that I, along with other American Muslims, have had little choice but to talk about religion.
Although countless Muslims have condemned the acts of 9/11 in the United States and worldwide, American Muslims became objects of suspicion.
I can assure you that they live in less fear than any Egyptian Christian or Libyian Westener.
Religion is the greatest stain on human civilization. Islam has, time and again, proven itself to be the most violent, oppressive and intolerant of all religions.
Thanks Mr. Obama for protecting our Ambassador.
Religion = Our number one nemesis.
Religion/gods were created by humans... l
I'm just not okay with muslims anymore. They are hateful, vengeful and bent on destroying the world because they only think of the paradise they will share with their silly, mythological prophet.
Opinion: Americans live in fear in any Muslim country 11 years after 9/11.
Some reasons for that:
As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:
The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century
■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "
and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.
and more recently
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.
15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.
16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.
17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.
18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.
19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011
20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011
21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.
22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.
23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "
o 24) Mon Jun 4, 2012 10:18am EDT
BAGHDAD (Reuters) – A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-packed car outside a Shi'ite Muslim office in central Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 26 people and wounding more than 190 in an attack bearing the hallmarks of Iraq's al Qaeda affiliate.
The bombing on a Shi'ite religious office comes at a sensitive time, with the country's fractious Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish blocs locked in a crisis that threatens to unravel their power-sharing deal and spill into sectarian tensions."
25) BURGAS, Bulgaria | Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27am EDT
(Reuters) – A suicide bomber carried out an attack that killed seven people in a bus transporting Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, the interior minister said on Thursday, and Israel said Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants were to blame.
26 ) September 11 2012
U.S. AMBASSADOR KILLED
Envoy to Libya dies in rocket blast
Unbelievable! You see the pictures in previous postings of the ambassador being handled by his attackers and now the official word is that he was killed with a rocket!!! Is this a cover up in the making to some how down play how they actually killed the ambassador??? I don't know but it looks like it might be.
More Muslims being reasonable.....did anyone see the drawing of Mohammed sucking horse c*ck while Jesus buttfvcks him?
"death to America!" the country that had a large hand in helping us overthrow our former dictator.....thanks....
This was an act of war by a barbaric, insane people. Libyan and Egyptian governments did NOTHING to stop the attacks and murders. They are complicit.
Pull all our people out and level these mofos with conventional explosives. NOW. It's the only thing they'll understand. The failure to respond will be seen as weakness on our part.
Obama is done. Muslims chanting "Death to America and Death to Obama" is his swan song. C-Ya Barry. Now go be a schoolteacher in Kenya.
Talk all you want but see what Islam does to US ambassador!!
Yeah! Religion makes people so reasonable!
I’m a Christian and I must say that the vast majority of Muslims are good people. They’re more than welcome in my or should I say, our country.
Why aren't any of these fearful Muslims speaking out against the actions of their Muslim brothers in Lybia and Egypt?
I know for a fact that number of them are indeed doing that.
Sure they are. Not. Toby and weightinwords are both having hallucinations.
Meanwhile the world is waiting for Morsi's condemnation.
* crickets *
I say bring it. The more Muslim violence against America, the more America will open it's collective eyes to the obvious threat.
F'n bring it, Muslims. Dirty bomb, another tower, more diplomats. Whatever. The curtain's really going up on your BS, so why not let it all hang out... Oh, by the way, we'll be more than happy to replenish your populations with around 5 million Muslims that lived (past tense) in the U.S. Europe will send you even more so you'll have plenty of fresh meat to butcher. Hell, we'll even ship you a couple hundred thousand whining, whimpering, apologizing, condemning, and lying liberal atheists.
STOP THE PRESSES:-->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TO MY SISTER AND BROTHER MUSLIMS: THERE IS A PEACEFUL AND EASY SOLUTION AND IT TAKES LESS THAN TWO MINUTES OF YOUR TIME.
From the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi--–
The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:
(Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..)
( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)
Are you ready?
Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.
The First Five of the 77 Branches:
"1. Belief in Allah"
aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.
"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."
Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".
"3. To believe in the existence of angels."
A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.
"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."
Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.
Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.
Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.
"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) alone."
Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.
Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!
Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.
One day i hope mankind will put away the foolishness of religion. Unfortunately, that day may never come because to be rid of religion requires education and logic. Two things that require more mental effort than the mind-numbing ramblings of religion.
Sumbul Ali-Karamali Please read the head lines this morning? Maybe that is the reason why muslims in america live in fear?
The question is, why should we as Americans hold other Americans responsible for violence committed by Libyans/Egyptians/Pakistanis/Iraqis/Iranians?
For a better understanding of the history of Islam and the Middle East and the fear that is being generated within their own community since 9/11, we invite you to read the articles ‘World History and Developments in the Middle East’, ‘Clash of Civilizations’ and ‘CNN Belief Blog – Sign of the Times’ listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca
All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.
Just another whack job web site peddling their own brand or biblical translation. Honestly, this drivel gets so old and tiring.
@berg: revalations 12:9 " The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him."
so a dragon has decieved the world? nice to know you still believe in fairytales. ROFLMFAO
you are such a troll, before you were spouting that obama was the anti-christ and that this passage in the bible confirmed it.
well i see no dragons and i'm pretty certain obama is human so go pedal your BS to those that enjoy story time.
Revelation?? Every one knows some dude crashed his camel into a field of burning poppies or worse to come up with that mess.
This poster is a TROLL on this blog, they are liars and they are trying to sell their book to support their cult. Click the report abuse link to get rid of this TROLL!
As long is they are in the position as in the picture I would live in fear to. You are only inviting trouble from priests.
Damn it man, when is the last time you washed your feet?
Prayer changes things .
Pray. Yeah, that's the ticket... yeah.
The prayer of salvation is available to all, even the idolatrous, deceived Muslim can find peace with God in honest prayer to the one true God. allah is not God
Same God, different prophet.
Troll alert. Don't waste your time on this poser.
Our guys are so scared, they all bury heads in the ground.
Live in fear? Please. Fear they won't find enough white women to r–a–p–e for not wearing burkas? Fear of not finding men to assault en masse? Fear of not finding people's dogs to kill?
Muzzies are as big a cancer and parasite as the jew.
You are a shame.
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.