home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Jo

If only one good thing comes from Romney's RUN may it be the exposure of The Cult of Mormonism!!! One of the worst to ever try to find its way to respectability!!! If Romney is elected one of the worst results will be his bringing his anti science religion to more gravitas !!! Spare us!!!

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • youreright

The voters should just say to all conservative cultist (Christian evangelical,Mormons, etc, "Please back away from the thermonuclear weapons."

September 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  2. Concerned

So all the regular folks pray for Obama, atleast he cares for everyone – not just 53%

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Timothy Tebow - God's OTHER son

LOL! You have no idea how wrong you are. Obama is as much of an elitist as Romney is. He's simply better at hiding it and feigning empathy.

September 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  3. KNKLHEAD

Wait a minute, you mean Romney is not a Christian? As a Christian, this is shocking! I was going to vote for him, but now I'm going to stay home and not vote! Is the "magic underwear" thing true?

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Ztom

Depends on your definition of Christianity. There are many Christian denominations who do not consider Mormons to be Christians.

You can Google arguments for and against Mormons' inclusion in Christianity. Then you can decide for yourself or find out what your church's viewpoint is (if you belong to a church).

September 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Mormons believe that they will be a God of their own planet after they die, so they think they will become equal to Christ and that people will worship them.

September 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • KNKLHEAD

I will ask my pastor for more information. Thank you!

September 28, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  4. stevetall

If these people really want this strategy to be successful, I recommend a 60-day fast. Then you'll see some results!

September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  5. c

There is a group of Mormons called -Mormon's for Obama out there as well.

September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • youreright

It's a group of one...

September 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  6. Sam Freeman

We should pray that the man WHO will be best for America and the world wins. Since God is wiser than us all,
    I believe that praying for the best man would be a better bet, if not a wiser one.

September 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Timothy Tebow - God's OTHER son

Whoever sold you on the God myth is wiser than you.

September 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  7. Jonathan

I am a prophet, and I know their prayers and fasting will bring the desired miracle. Mitt will win by a landslide........sorry, that was supposed to say Mitt will win Utah by a landslide. Funny thing is, this woman will probably believe its because of her prayers that Mitt won Utah and not the collective ignorance of the state.

September 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Bob Lewis

Praying to whom? The great white man in the sky with the Santa beard, or the angel Moroni (sounds like a waiter in an Italian bistro)? Are they suggesting that if they back off the pasta for a couple of nights, it's a done deal? What if I'm praying for Obama, are their prayers inherently more worthy than mine? Does He pick straws, high card, call Tim Tebow? What complete nonsense.

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  9. 24 Hour Crisis Center

24 Hour Crisis Center

AMERICA DOES NEED MITT ROMNEY.

Top Ten Reasons to like Mitt Romney:

1. He is a plastic cliché of what makes white Americans feel comfortable.

2. He is a good husband, just like Obama.

3. Robs from the poor and gives to the rich. Can't be concerned about the poor and elderly if it gets in the way of profits.

4. He can’t really speak. At all.

5. Highly intelligent. Believes in sky fairies, space aliens and magic underwear.

6. Has no experience beyond his silver spo.on. Cannot relate to average Americans but he knows the rich quite well.

7. Lives in the past and is completely out of touch with the 21st century. Just like the evangelical Right likes it.

8. Has five sons who are not high. Obama has two daughters who do not do drugs too, however they are black.

9. Oh yes.....he's a MORMON. No need to be afraid of a hom.ophobic, racist, delusional cult that hopes to become Gods.

10. And one more point.....pundits say because of his wealth, he can't relate to ordinary Americans.

His dad didn’t help at all except for his privileged lifestyle, personal loans, college education and connections at the highest possible levels to guarantee success via nepotism. Obama only had to do everything on his own.

The Republican Party. The party that would stop teaching science in schools and hope to return American to the Iron Age.
    Republicans care about…Republicans. Let's keep it that way!

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • cmj

Obama didn't do anything on his own. He has never worked a day in his life, even in office. Both are rich elite. Obama made millions from the housing bust. Romney inherited millions but does run successful businesses. Obama is all about handouts. Romney is planning on doing away with all the handouts.

The reason there are no jobs is because Clinton signed the free trade agreement. That means business that only have 10% of their company in the USA will still be considered an American company and will not need to pay a tariff on importing their products made in China.

Personally I really don't like either one of them. But I would rather side with someone who has run a business that makes profit, rather than the handout king.

September 28, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
  10. Sam Freeman

We should pray that the man will be best for America and the world win. Since God is wiser than us all,

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  11. Scott

Nothing like an article on religion to get the little komrade libs all bent out of shape :) With the way that the komrade libs emphatically state that there is no God you would think that this article would be a non-issue for them.

So libs, why do you get your hemp skivvies all wadded up over a story about a woman that is going to pray to a God that you claim doesn't exist? According to your ... ahem ... logic the lady is just wasting her time.

Scott

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Ztom

Not all libs are against religion. I have a number of friends who are basically alligned with the Jesuits. They wouldn't be caught dead voting for the GOP.

September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Scott you are so ignorant it is comical. Mormons believe that there are millions of Gods. They believe when they die they will be a God of their own planet. Yes, Mitt, the Bishop, thinks he will be a God soon if he does not think he is now. How is that for sacrilege Jethro?

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Jonathan

because the LDS church claims to be neutral when in fact it is more closely related to a Super PAC.

September 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • sam stone

Oooh, Komrade Libs.....aren't you all edgy.....

September 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  12. James Canada

Obama is a christian believer which is what America stands for and built on those principals..Romney is in some wacko cult..Go ahead and vote for him because he is white..See how God and the Universe deal with you if he wins.
    I can't believe some born again Christians would rather vote for someone whom their church historically has always said aren't true christian's until they wanted a white man in office so badly. If you are truly praying and not letting racism affect your principals you will vote for a man named Obama who has the same religious principals as all your previous leaders. Romney does not! I do not despise Mormon's but lets not pretend they have the same religion as our forefathers.
    Billy Graham to Joel Olsteen to the Pope in some way shape or form basically have said Mormon's are not true Christians.

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Timothy Tebow - God's OTHER son

Obama does NOT represent Christianity. And Joel Osteen is no more a Christian than Mike Tyson is.

September 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • youreright

JOel Osteen and Mittens. What a pair! Plastic, leaders of cults, and....reeeeeeeeeally rich!

September 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  13. Johnny Utah

I wonder how many prayers it takes to win an election?

The self-absorbed diction is ridiculous "God loves this country" as if he/she doesn't love other countries. Makes us sane folk from Utah look bad. Hopefully this person and her friends/family rely solely on their prayers and stay far away from the polling stations.

"We're very silent... not in your face" except when their missionaries come knocking on your door.

@Gem agreed, living in Utah there is no way the Church is silent on their beliefs and pushing their beliefs onto other.

#UtahForObama

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  14. Timothy Tebow - God's OTHER son

Dad does NOT want you to vote for Mitt Romney. Let's be clear about that. What Dad wants is for you to pray that Jets QB Mark Sanchez blows out his ACL on Sunday so I can get some snaps and lead the Jets to victory for the greater glory of Dad. He loves Himself some football, way more than He loves your silly politics.
    -Tim

September 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • NativeBornUSA

All NY or Democrat Run City teams are sons of Satan........hell with the Jets.

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Timothy Tebow - God's OTHER son

Oh boy....that was a bad choice. Dad will punish you for that in the next 30 days. Mark my words.

-Tim

September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  15. All hail

Where is satan on all of this?

September 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • WASP

@all: he is with me laughing at all the christians running around like chickens with their heads cut off. lmfao

September 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  16. Mitt Phob

I think plenty of Americans will go hungry if Romney's elected, so I don't think we should waste our time not eating now.

September 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • NativeBornUSA

Yea all those ripping off the US governement like unions solyndra Sorros

September 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  17. Erica

They finally found a way to talk about Mormonism!!! She will hate she sent that email!!! Poor lady! but its talk to talk about Kolob and the book of Nephi!!!!

September 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • David

Running a country may be a whole lot different than running your own personal celestial planet. Kolob rules! I'm considering joining Club Mormon so I can get my own planet....of course, by Mormon law, I'd have all my wives with me.

P.S. One day, if science discovers that Planet Kolob actually exists, I might start wearing the magic undies.

September 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  18. Willard Mittens

Mormons believe that a panel of Gods voted weather Jesus or his Brother Satan would rule over earth. Crazy stuff.

September 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • youreright

crazy is as crazy prays... in magic underwear. WHY hasn't any asked about this stuff? WHY is it off limits if his he gets the nuclear weapons???

September 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • Kimmy

Not true.

September 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  19. John the Historian

I can't believe so many people in Utah still believe in this cult. We all know Joseph Smith was a con man who committed bank fraud, had 87 wives one as young as 14 years old and died in a shot out because he was going to be arrested. We all now his translation of Egyptian papryrus was all wrong so his made up book of book from some fictional 200 pound book of gold tablets means nothing. Never forget Mark Twain called the book of mormon chloroform in print. And considering what Mark Twain wrore about Brigham Young another rapist and murderer well what can one say about non-christian mormons. 1890, 1978, and 2011 plus 2012 will all prove to be times of flip flopping by the 12 prophets of mormon in Salt Lake City. Mormons I call on all of you get educated about Christian denominations, dismantle your cult and admit it was all a false prophecy. Jesus Christ was not a polygamist, Jesus Christ did not preach to the American-Indians, and the 13 tribe of Israel did not cross the Atlantic. Your cult is pure americana legend plus elements stolen from freemasonry.Willard your bishop is going down to defeat. The mark of cain you believe in means nothing. Remember how many angels can sit on the head of a pin.

September 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Erica

Well said John, I was wondering why they never changed the book of Nephi to reflect their new beliefs about allowing blacks into preisthood?

September 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • youreright

And 97% of America says, "AMEN!"

When this thing is all over, Rep. leaders are going to ask themselves how it all went so horribly wrong. They chose between a cultist and a car full of clowns.

September 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Kimmy

And how does an uneducated young man make up such things in the Book of Mormon? Have you read it? It is IMPOSSIBLE that an uneducated man wrote it. And by the way, Mormons do not believe Jesus was a polygamist and I know that Christ came and preached in the Americas. Why wouldnt he? God loves all his children and wanted all to know of his resurrection and he teachings. And for the record our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are Christians. Only Jesus Christ was perfect. People make mistakes including those of the past.

September 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Erica

@ Kimmel, how can you follow such backward made up or plagerized and edited self serving book but together by a racist man? why do the mormon ideas keep flipflopping

September 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • j

John, if you are such an historian why do you speak as if you know nothing? You tell us to become educated, why arent you? clearly by the foolish things you said you prove to us that you are not educated in history at all. Reply to me, i would love to have a discussion on any religion you want. And hopefully help you not be a close minded fool.

October 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  20. RustyHinges8

They can pray fast all they want. 1% doesn't come near 47%.

September 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm |