home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. coder20601

God, Creator, energy, whatever you want to call it can care less about humans. When will mankind ever take responsibly for himself instead of looking up at the sky for a space daddy. Religion is what is wrong with this world, it has never done any good for mankind. It's really sad, the most powerful nation in the world and these two jokers are the best we can do, amazing!

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • iadadman

The Flying Spaghetti Monster will embrace you in his Loving Pasta Tentacles, whether you want him to or not.

September 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  2. iadadman

I'm not sure I understand this. Do Romney's lies not bother you as much if you're real hungry?

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  3. B.

LOL, Romney is toast and even fast prayers won’t help him because he is what he is, incompetent..

Americans have seen and understood what he is all about now. He has nothing but Distain for half of the people!

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  4. SCIENCE IS THE REAL ANSWER

Doesn't Mitt know that a national fast would destroy the economy even further???

September 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  5. loudobservant

Who are they praying to?
    Almighty God,SWT, has said in the holy Qura'an that the equivalent of Jesus is Prophet Adam A.S. in whom we instilled
    ROOH, i.e., life.Therefore, Eesa A.S. is a prophet just like any other prophet.
    And, even the Bible says that AHMED ( another name for Mohammed SAWW, will follow into the footsteps of Eesa A.S.

September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  6. GOD

..........................NOW IT PROVEN......MORMON ARE MORONS........................

September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  7. Norman

I'm not a Mormon, but I'd pray and fast until election day to send Obama back to Chicago...

September 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • El Flaco

I like Obama. He's doing a pretty good job.

Romney is not competent AND he is morally unfit for the Presidency.

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Steaming Pile of Mitt

Too bad, "Norman the Mormon" is so catchy.

September 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  8. Robert

As much as I want Governor Mitt Romney to become president, I don't think the fasting of the Mormons will help, and they don't even know why. The reason is that they believe that God was once just a man. But if God were ever just a man, he could never become God. For, how could the finite become infinite? Or how could the creation ever have come into being if there wasn't an infinite infinite creator who exited eternally before the world and universe began. No, it's just not possible, even with simple logic. Nevertheless, many Mormons are Christian people who have been mislead into a church that believes, and conceals from early converts, a false religion. And that church has no real God to answer its prayers.

September 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Robert
      So you're a member of one of the non-trinitarian sects of Christianity?

September 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • snowboarder

it is comical to listen to one denomination delcaring others false.

September 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Phil

And your church DOES have the real god, I suppose. You're straight delusional, son.

September 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  9. good news

This is good news. All the religious dummies that like Romney can just starve to death. The country will be better off without them.

September 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  10. no nothing

I thought his magic underwear will get him elected. Boy, these Mormons have no faith in what they believe. I apologize if any one was offended.....

September 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  11. GOD

............OH ,......................NOW MITT ROMNEY A ' DEMI-GOD '.........................................

September 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  12. Lillybet58

Not eating Jello for a day...that's supposed to help Mitt do better on debate day?

September 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • OOO

...and she absolutely knows this to be a fact!

September 28, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

The only thing that would help Mitt would be an electrode in his brain that would shock him when he's about to say something stupid, or a complete lie. This may have the added benefit of keeping him silent through the entire thing.

September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
  13. snowboarder

whenever the toliet overflows i say a little prayer, but i know to always bring along the plunger.

September 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  14. nowayhesaidthat

Never going to happen . . . "prayer" is just a bunch of wishful words linked to nothingness . . . but good luck with that anyway - certainly can't harm anything . . . his campaign is basically in the gutter.

I just wonder what Mittens promised the Mormom church if he ever actually was elected, which he won't be of course. I would imagine Mittens will have alot of explaining to do to the people who've given up alot of money for a dead horse. Mittens and his nimble muscular side-kick are finished politically. Their political party (whatever that may be at any given moment) is in shambles and the VERY OLD conservative dudes are crying over their bank statements.

September 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  15. Sly

"God wants us to fast and pray for those things that are important to us–and if it's for the wrong thing, he has ways of letting us know."

God wants us to fast? Why the Hell did the fat guy put all those cows down here then?

Looking around at Americans, it's pretty obvious God wants us all to pork out and be about 80 pounds overweight and die of heart attacks.

Man ... I'm not too sure about wanting to go to heaven with all them fat folks up there.

September 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
  16. solex

The only thing fasting accomplishes is to make one hungry...

September 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • DuchessFeathers

Yep. Fast for a day, then gorge because you're starving! Makes perfect sense. Won't help Mittens on bit.

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  17. Greetings from the planet Kolob

If he can't be president then maybe he can be the first intersteller ambassador to Kolob or the planet next door.

September 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Jonathan

Joseph Smith said if you knew what the celestial kingdom (mormon heaven) was like, you would kill yourself to get there. Maybe they should exercise their faith in that way instead of fasting and praying for Romney

September 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  18. Michael

If Romney gets elected, we in the 99% will all be fasting involuntarily.

September 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Dejavu65

That was funny as heck!!

September 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
  19. Armand Winter

Why do the Evangelicals want to put an anti-christ into the white house?

The mormons claim to be Jews... every one is a Jew in happy mormon theology, Mormons descended from Ephraim, Native Americans from Manasseh, everybody except maybe black people.

I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews and are not, but are the Synagogue of Satan. – Revelations 2:9

September 28, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Doug

As long as what you're saying makes sense to you..... Good luck with that nonsense.

September 28, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  20. old ben

Good news Romney supporters! Since God truly works in mysterious ways – don't even bother voting – just pray like there's no tomorrow, and Romney will win with a landslide. Let a miracle happen.

September 28, 2012 at 2:44 pm |