home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Ralph

Let's not judge the woman. It's her personal choice to fast for whatever reason she wishes (and to ask those closest to her to do the same). I can only imagine how ridiculed each of us would be if our personal emails became public. Good grief – we've got bigger things to worry about!

September 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  2. VA97207

Well, this Mormon will be fasting and praying for the other guy. Heck, I'll even put his name on the temple prayer list too!

Til then, sign me "yet another card-carrying Mormon voting against Romney".

Woulda gone with Huntsman, he at least has a heart.

September 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Max in OC

Huntsman was the only sane guy who had any brains in the GOP Primary. Tea Baggers hate sane people who and Huntsman got 0.9% votes...

Huntsman does not believe all that stuff but Bishop Rmoney does. Most politicians pay lip service to religion in order to be elected. Mitt actually believes the Mormon hooey.

September 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  3. Max in OC

Why do Mormons refer to Christians as 'Genteels'?

September 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

They don't. Because Mormons ARE Christians. There is a term "Jews and Gentiles," which differentiates Jews and non-believers. Perhaps that's what you are referring to.

September 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  4. Max in OC

Isn't Mitt Romney's Lord Joseph Smith, a convicted Criminal?

September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

Joseph Smith was never convicted of anything.

September 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  5. Pete

Buttttttt....................if it is meant to be wouldn't God just "let it be"? Don't you think God has better things on his To Do list than to worry about who is going to be President? And why hasn't anyone talked about the Mormon's becoming God's of their own planet? Doesn't that sound weird enough to bring up?

September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Yeppers

In at least some evangelical churches lots of people are talking about Mormon beliefs, and aren't comfortable about them.

September 28, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

God doesn't do EVERYTHING for us. If so, we wouldn't have to get out of bed in the morning. We have to do for ourselves. That's how we grow.

September 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  6. fdm

I am a Christian. I believe in the Word that says "Man should always pray and not Faint". I also believe in fasting and praying. However, you fast and pray and seek God to Let His Will be done. You do not ask God and also Tell God. His Will might not be for Rommey to be president. He has His hands on the US and He knows what is best for us.

September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Satanluv

all your capital letters really bum me out..I mean why??...and its Romney...not Rommey and Michele's reunion...and there's no god

September 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Sly

I disagree. I think Allah is God (Allah Ackbar), and He prefers Afghanistan over the US.

It's kinda like a football game – the team with the highest paid God's and the most Roid's win.

September 28, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Pete

Christians are the problem. Your views are not any different than those religous freaks in the Middle East. Everyone thinks their right! Everyone condems the other. Give it a rest already! If God exists than why? WHY THE SUFFERING? Suffering for thousands and thousands of years. Suffering of children. Suffering of the sick. And not once...NOT ONCE has there been intervention by your God. Don't you think 'God" would pretty much be sick of by now? Yet the followers of this novel continue to point fingers at the other. And don't give me that "it's part of Gods plan" crap!

September 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

fdm, I agree. It's possible that the country needs a more bitter lesson before we learn.

September 28, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  7. rhondajo3

I will be praying with you!

September 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Bobo Fannytacular

I will also pray with you.

September 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Satanluv

I won't

September 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  8. Max in OC

Will Mona Williams also get a Planet for herself for all the good work she is doing? Like the Planet Kolob?

September 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

And why would you care?

September 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  9. Satanluv

What a bunch of loons..."prayer and fasting bring about miracles"...give me break ..that is like a 5 year old mentality... how can you take these people seriously...You want to put people who think such childish nonsense in charge of the human race?? i wouldn't allow anyone who thinks like this to drive my car across town anymore than I would my 8 year old niece...thier level of reality is about the same.....although i think I'd give it to the 8 year old because she doesn't believe in magic beings like I Dream of Genie popping around the universe controlling everything that goes on...

September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • snowboarder

it is caused by a lifetime of indoctrination and groupthink.

September 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • Sharon Peters

Right, if there was an all commanding being which controlled the universe, it would instantly disable the ability to leave comments after internet news stories.

September 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Tawanda

Such arrogance.

September 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  10. Paul Willson

This person is endangeriong the LDS Church's taqx emept status. Re3memmbver Mitt Sepereation of church ( any church) and state

September 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Lola

No, she's not. She this to friends and family and it went viral. People are still allowed to ask their friends & family to pray and we are still allowed to forward emails to others.

September 28, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  11. weezer

Keep fasting, lady. You might want to pack a sandwich, though...it's going to be a while....

September 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Dexter Johnson

You just cannot do something like that. If Romney, somehow, performs brilliantly in the debates, they'll give credit to their gods. If he fails, what will they say? WIll she lose her faith, or have an excuse? Chances are, Romney will not clean up at the debates; at best, he'll hold his own. However, he has been having bad luck lately, when he opens his mouth.

September 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
  12. Truth

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlP0JXlStUE&w=640&h=390]

September 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  13. Dave

Yes, fast and pray. Moroni will hear you and take your wishes to his special planet. If you feel some tingling in your magic underwear, thats just the intergalactic reply.

September 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Satanluv

seriously, I found a gold plate in the desert yesterday and even it said Mitt ain't got a chance...i had an angel break it down for me

September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  14. truth be told

Abortion, rampant ho mo se xuality, perversions of all kinds is it any wonder we have ineffective people trying to run this country?

September 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • snowboarder

apparently hom ose xuality is quite natural. it certainly is no less natural than 0ral s3x, which is a staple in my marriage.

September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  15. Jill

Listen lady, you can fast and pray until the cows come home but the fact of the matter is Mitt needs even more help then your Joseph Smith can deliver. He's not going to win but it doens't have anything to do with prayer. It has to do with the fact that the guy is a nut case. He's living in some fantasy land with his fantasyland visions that aren't even realistic. The only people that like him are the Mormans. Even most of the Republicans don't like him. So, go on all you Mormans. Pray and fast away. It might make you a little thinner but it's not gonna help Mitt. God's smarter than that!

September 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  16. hillplus

The question is- are we better off than we were four years ago? The answer is NO. We are sixteen trillion in debt. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Obama added six trillion to the debt and there is no benefit from that. Imagine what he will do if allowed another term!!! If the Mormons want to fast, more power to them. I might join in!

September 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Light In The Dark

The question is- are we better off than we were four years ago?

September 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • snowboarder

our company froze pay and stopped bonuses in 2006. in 2010 raises restarted and in 2011 bonuses were back to pre-recession levels. i am much better off.

September 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Hemlock

Make it a neverending fast so we won't hear from you again.

September 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Pete

All of you should fast for a very very long time.......than maybe you'll starve and we can move on to some sanity!
      And btw....Bush spent all the money in reserves to support a war that never should have happened...he is the one that broke the bank!!!!! Idiot!

September 28, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • Elliot Dash

ROFL ! . . Mitt Romney is CERTAINLY better off than he was four years ago so there is no way in hell he could even begin to beg the question ;)

September 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Saboth

Actually, the answer is YES. Please research some facts before regurgitating Fox News swill. Obama has added jobs to the economy. Unemployment is down from 10% to 8%. The Dow is at 13,500, not 6,500. Banks and the auto industry did not go under and are actually hiring and turning profits. Oh, and that deficit you are lumping on Obama? Better check your numbers. 5.1 trillion is directly from the policies of GW Bush, and 980 billion is from Obama's policies. Obama is actually one of the most fiscally conservative presidents we've had in awhile and certainly FAR more fiscally conservative than GW Bush.

September 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  17. Yeppers

The few Mormons I know of are nice enough folks but there are just too many evangelicals out there that can't bring themseles to vote for Romney because he is a Mormon.

September 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Melissa Scribner

Yeppers, it's called letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Sad.

September 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  18. Johnny 5

Topics like this are why other countries are laughing at us. America has become the court jester of our planet. 2nd rate nation here we come! or worse...

September 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Satanluv

yeah and it seems to me it all started with that fool W...how does the right still champion that whole scene?? I don't get it..how could anyone want that freak show back....holy cr a p they almost brought the whole nation down the last time...they should be laughed out of the country...Obama saved us from the precipice and killed Osama...bush hid in a clssroom and let his pals bankrupt the country...w/ his god all that nonsense...pray and fast the republicans never take charge of this country again..not that I think praying and fasting does a gd thing

September 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  19. mark

you Romney supporters are hilarious, it's like you see one head line, compute it in your brain that it is against Obama and then regurgitate it out like puke. What a bunch of slackers...

September 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  20. TomNPitt

If they pray and fast for Romney, and Obama still wins; is that God saying, I think Obama is the better choice? And if that's the outcome, will they then pray to Obama to lead them home and keep them safe??

September 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • truth be told

Which ever wins America loses. God is cursing America for its many sins with poor leadership choices.

September 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • snowboarder

be told – god cursing america? where do people come up with such ridiculous ideas?

September 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Light In The Dark

They will just accuse Obama of being satan.

September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Yeppers

Precisely how would you know what God thinks about America?

September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Satanluv

i love satan...he's my pal...but seriously, do you really believe in something called satan...i mean really??

September 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm |