home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Bible just a theory

Humans are so gullible that they recently worshipped an AUSTRIAN CORPORAL. Hey, if they're stupid enough to do that, then any religious foolishness is possible!

September 28, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
  2. OrganicManLives_N_anOraganicUNiverSE

I'll never say Conservatives don't have a sense of humor ... voting for an intersteller ambassador to Kolob (or the planet next to it) all because they can't deal with a half white, half black human-being who wants people to be social. Fear Romulac the Feringi, interstellar human-slave profiteer ... the job he wants to give you ...will kill you.

September 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  3. tom118

I plan to fast for Romney on Saturday, and slow for him on Sunday.

September 28, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  4. Cigarman

Let us hope that they all starve to death.

September 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  5. Seldom Seen Mike

Even Mark Twain laughed at how poorly written the Book of Mormon is. LOL

You should really read it.

And it came to pass
    And it came to pass
    And it came to pass..........................................lol

September 28, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • Seldom Seen Mike

"The book seems to be merely a prosy detail of imaginary history, with the Old Testament for a model; followed by a tedious plagiarism of the New Testament. The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint, old-fashioned sound and structure of our King James’s translation of the Scriptures; and the result is a mongrel — half modern glibness, and half ancient simplicity and gravity."

-Mark Twain

Joseph Smith was one of the greatest frauds.

September 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  6. Machiavelli

They are 'fasting' to help his campaign ??? They had better start a hunger strike cause the fasting doesn't seem to be working.

September 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  7. End Religion

I could scream at the altar of a church, with a crucifix stuck deep up my asshole, that I fuck Jesus Christ hard through the hand holes and cream on his crown of thorns, and I will never hit the level of blasphemy that’s required for someone to pray to god for their family’s pet dog to return home. The idea that someone can claim that they know there’s a god because they feel it, because they trust a book that they were raised with, because they had an epiphany, and then ask this god to change its mind about its plan for the universe is arrogant. Once you say you have the answer to everything, but you can’t prove it to anyone else, I don’t think you can accuse anyone else of being arrogant. I think you are the king of kings of the arrogant assholes.

September 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  8. noillusion

Oh, poor brain-washed arrogant woman.

September 28, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • Curious2No

I think you don't really know the meaning of arrogant. Like her or not, at least use the correct adjective.

September 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • End Religion

curious, OP was correct. There's no hgiher arrogance than asking a god to change his plans for you, i.e., praying.

September 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  9. sqeptiq

I would really like to know how much of the Romney's "charitable" giving was actually giving to the Mormon church.

September 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Thumper

That would be 10% (read the Bible). The rest? Where would you give it to? Oh, liberals don't give to charity. They want the governemnt to take it and determine where it should go.

September 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Forward mover

Who cares where he donated his money?!?! He made a helluva lot more than most people and most people didnt donate $3 last year. Who cares about his religion? Thats why wars start. Aren't we trying to get out of two? Attack his marginalizing the disenfranchised and women's rights. We dont fight the GOP way. WE move forward.

September 28, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@Thumper

Are you a poe?

September 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  10. Thumper

Why does religeon matter at all? Romney and Ryan are obviously hard working successful men. I'm not sure that can be said about the guys currently in power. You know I'm right on this point. Golfing instead of meeting with your Jobs council?

September 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • RNK

George W spent over half his time in office on his Texas ranch clearing brush and doing chores for the news cameras.
      Were you complaining that He spent too little time working?
      Obama has been working harder than the last few republicans and a lot harder than the congressional republicans. Will he get credit for that? No.
      If republicans saw Obama walk on water they would say it was because he couldn't swim.

September 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  11. Galaxy Prime

This story does Romney more harm than good – his religious affiliation should not be in the forefront – voters might feel less inclined to vote for him.

September 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • brickyardjimmy

Romney to Mormons: "Guys. Shhhhh. Keep a lid on that for just a little while longer will you? No fasting. No fasting!"

September 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
    • Thumper

No Duh, that's why CNN made it.

September 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Scott

Galaxy,
      When JFK ran for the presidency the religion haters and catholic haters put JFK's religion in the forefront and he still won.

Scott

September 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Scott,

JFK's opponent was Richard Nixon.

September 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Scott

Good point I'm Not. Nixon was a lying lawyer ....... wait a minute BoBo is a lying lawyer too, hmmmmmm ;)

Scott

September 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  12. sqeptiq

Actually, belief in any kind of god should be disqualifying in a sane world.

September 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • arekayjay

Finally, the voice of reason! People should read the book of mormon to find out what a weird religion it is.

September 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Thumper

arekayjay – Take your own advice you moron. You have no idea what the Book of Morman says or you would know it's no different than the Bible (only talking about the people of the Americas as opposed to the Middle East).

September 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
  13. Medium Rare

Typicall redigulous reactions: wait until disaster is at hand then start crying to a god . If Mitty is gOD's man than he doesn't need any of your preiyer ;-)

September 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

here's some pseudo code for the Romnoid:

10 begin;

&pray;
      &fast;
      }

if (! $Romney){ die $Obama; }

September 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  14. Dante

Makes sense..I mean, no supernatural being intervened to stop the Holocaust, the plagues 911 or any of those things, but if these people miss a few Big Macs Romney will have magic...sigh...

September 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  15. zeigfeldf

Yeah. That will help.

September 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • JPX

I know, right? It's so ridiculous that people pray to imaginary gods for things. I mean, really, do they really believe that a magical man in the sky cares about the outcome of this election? What will they think when Obama wins? It's 2012, people, enough with the Bronze Age thinking!

September 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Joseph Smith

Watch it, pardner. I started this religion in the 1820's, not in the Bronze Age. Oh how I wish I hadn't misplaced those gold plates. It would make explaining things so much easier to you questioning types.

September 28, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
  16. James R Ruston

I am basically an atheist/agnostic, but I have lived among Mormons and although I think their theology is even weirder than traditional Christianity, I think their sense of community is closer to the communal life of early Christians than any other traditional Christian group.

September 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

I know what you mean James. I was thinking communal like termites though. Or maybe naked mole rats. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • sqeptiq

You might also note that Utah is one of the 10 states with the highest percentage of people paying NO INCOME TAX. You know, part of Mitt's 47%!

September 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Joseph Smith

"I think their sense of community is closer to the communal life of early Christians than any other traditional Christian group."

That claim implies Mormonism is a traditional christian religion. It is a laughing to stock to anyone not in it, and is certainly not christian. If you're looking for communal religious living try the Amish or Mennonites.

September 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  17. jasie

you have to go to youtube and see the obamaphone lady. Hilarious and sad that obama voters would trade a vote for a free obamaphone.

September 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • Michael Johnson

Conservatives lie using omission.

"The site does, however, clarify that Obama did not start the program and that there's no such thing as an "Obama phone."

"It’s true that government provides free cellphones to the poor and disabled people," the site reads. "But the Obama part is not true as Obama didn’t initiate this program. It’s on the run [sic] since the administration of Reagan.""

Fox News

September 28, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  18. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The Romney Inaugural Address:

We here highly resolve that these baptized dead shall populate the planet as Gods - that this nation, under Elohim, shall have a new awakening - and that government of the minions, by loony wing-nuts, for the richest 1%, shall overtake the earth.

September 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • Osama ben Bama

Sounds more like you are describing yourself

September 28, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Lord Golob from Kolob

Well, that's better than letting the earthlings know we want to cr@p all over their planet. (We didn't even tell Mitt Rmoney that bit.). Even magic underwear has a capacity limit.

September 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • texcal68

Good comment! If more people knew more about the Mormon Church, Romney wouldn't even be in this race.

September 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Lord Golob from Kolob

Thanks, Tex. Love ya too.

September 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Wingnut Moron Mormon for Billionaire Tax Loopholes

Funny! Mormons would rather pay even more taxes for wars in oil-rich countries to make Oil and Defense executives even richer, than see a president who is supposedly the descendant of Cain.

Mormons are racist stupid.

September 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
    • Joseph Smith

Please take my religion seriously. Thank you.
      Romney / Ryan 2012

September 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Joseph Smith,

it's Mitt Romney I don't take seriously, not Mormons.

September 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Ronald Regonzo

Anyone remember Where The Buffalo Roam?

Harris: And the poor doomed, the young, and the silly, the honest, the weak, the Italians... they're doomed, they're lost, they're helpless, they're somebody else's meal, they're like pigs in the wilderness.

Candidate: Come here Harris, come here. Fuck the doomed!

Romney / Ryan 2012

September 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  20. waitasec

sorry, i will not vote for a guy who believes in a religion that was created the con artist joseph smith who "claims" to have found stones and magic glasses that enabled him to read the stones and then suddenly lost them...

September 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
    • Lord Golob from Kolob

We will excrete our solid waste on you regardless.

September 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Jersey Girl

Please, don't hold it against Willard that he is a Mormon. After all, John Kennedy 40 years ago had pushback because he was Catholic and many people didn't want a Catholic in the White House. On the other hand, good reasons to NOT vote for Willard is because he is a flip-flopper, total liar, Etch-a-Sketch guy, and totally amoral. Better reasons, eh??

September 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Jersey Girl,

better reasons indeed.

September 28, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • arekayjay

Joseph Smith was either on acid or mentally ill and delusional when he came up with that religion.

September 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm |