home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Kebos

The Mormom cult – founded by a fanatic. With all the wild and bizarre beliefs that only could be created by a delusional madman. And here you have Romney who not only believes in this stuff but is a leader in this cult.

And he is running for the highest office the USA has to offer? Really?

Only in America. So on the downward slide.

September 29, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  2. Ronald Regonzo

Restoring the lost moral dignity top America. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 6:52 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

But restoring it without me because I have no morals. Being a mormon I am unscrupulous. You can't trust me, you can't trust Ryan (he's just goofy and advocates the slaughter of innocent animals by a ten year old girl while holding dear, the unborn embryos) and know you REALLY can't trust Romney! He's just a rich, manipulative fool like I am. The only difference is that I live in an psychiatric unit at this time.

September 29, 2012 at 7:27 am |
  3. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

September 29, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Although, prayer hasn't changed how stupid you are and the period goes after your sentence, not two spaces after you idiot.

September 29, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent truths is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent truths, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do....... Who You Can Turn to......
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  4. MaryM

And If said Mormon is voting for President Obama. Do they still have to fast? What a bunch of nonsense. And so this mormon church is telling their members how to vote. shame, shame

September 29, 2012 at 6:28 am |
  5. VernMc

Meanwhile, I'll have a cheeseburger, a cold brew, and vote for Obama.

September 29, 2012 at 4:45 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

I agree Vern! Sounds a heck of a lot better than fasting and praying to a non-existant god!

September 29, 2012 at 7:28 am |
  6. Looking pretty much like God doesn't want a Mormon elected

When she says she hopes her praying and skipping her jello will make him "be blessed in the debates,” does that mean saying less of the incredibly stupid stuff he has been saying these last few months? Or does that mindless gibberish appeal to her, and she wants more.

Anyone wanna bet whether all this prayer is going to work for Mitty boy?

September 29, 2012 at 4:41 am |
    • MaryM

lol, 10,000.00 should do fine for a bet, eh?

September 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • MaryM

That the prayers dont work

September 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Badda Bing

You know, I think this woman is really onto something. Yes, a good long fast would completely solve the Mormon situation. Two or three months will be just about right.

Go for it, Mormons! And convince the evangelicals to do it too!

September 29, 2012 at 4:34 am |
  8. TOPHER JOHNSON

I HOPE THEY ALL WEAR THEIR MAGICAL FUCKING UNDERWEAR

September 29, 2012 at 3:16 am |
  9. Mad Cow

Bleed the Beast, Mitty!

September 29, 2012 at 2:23 am |
  10. thecollegeadmissionsguru

I think ALL Right Wing Fundies should spend ALL day on November 6th praying and fasting and by all means stay away from the polls. Romney doesn't need your votes, he has god on his side and will become President by divine edict. Your prayers will be answered, ONLY if you do as I say.

September 29, 2012 at 1:57 am |
    • Athy

Pleae, please, PLEASE, all vangies and fundies, do your duty. Stay away from those nasty voting places. Let god do his will.

September 29, 2012 at 3:11 am |
  11. Katie Collins

as a Mormon, this bothers me. First of all, a nation-wide fast portrays the message that every Mormon is a Mitt Romney supporter. I am not. I am also an active member of my church. I believe that God loves all of his children EQUALLY. I am embarrassed that someone of my own faith chooses to incorporate a religious aspect that is irrelevant in the political arena. It is inappropriate. I hope that I can help others understand that not every member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints thinks the same as Mona Williams. Some of us try to separate religion from politics.

September 29, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • End Religion

"I believe that God loves all of his children EQUALLY."

If you do believe this, why practice Mormonism, which has in its primary religious text:
      And [God] had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people, the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them. And thus saith the Lord God; I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities." (2 Nephi 5:21)

Do you feel women are equals within Mormonism? I don't know a lot about Mormonism but I've heard men get their own planet. DO you get yours or must you share what is your husband's? Do women get multiple husbands? Are there any special privileges the men get? Positions of power, incantations, special handshakes? Do they get the better magic underwear?

September 29, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • Kunst

End Religion, it is pointless to debate religion with a believer. They have their reasons for believing, which you (and I) don't believe in. You will never convince them by debate or logic, because they have their own axioms. If you accept those axioms, they win. If you reject their axioms, there is nothing to discuss - parallel lines that will never meet. From your point of view and mine, religion is irrational and pointless. They don't see it that way. You can never convince. If you choose to, you can understand, which isn't the same as agreeing. You don't have to.

September 29, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • Thinker

Katie, thank you for your thoughts. I hope the ignorant on here will just go away.

September 29, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

@Thinker, I have been wishing that for some time now, but apparently it hasn't worked because people like you are still here.

September 29, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • End Religion

Kunst, i hear you but I disagree. I have read and seen video of enough people who've renounced their religion to know that some who hear/see exposure of their hypocrisy and contradictions from enough sources can break their delusion. If I can "save one baby" from this burning house known as religion, well, that makes me happy.

September 29, 2012 at 1:58 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

@Thinker, I owe you an apology, my friend. Opened mouth and inserted foot before I engaged brain. My bad.

September 29, 2012 at 1:59 am |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

@End Religion, I agree with you. IF I can shake religion after being raised in the Deep Southern Bible Belt, then anyone can. It is all about reason and logic, and learning to turn off the bat crap crazies who would have us remain in the dark. Thank you for advocating for what you disbelieve in... Pun intended.

September 29, 2012 at 2:02 am |
  12. Reality

Only for new members of this blog:

AND THE INFAMOUS ANGELIC CONS CONTINUE TO WREAK STUPIDITY UPON THE WORLD

Joe Smith had his Moroni. (As do M. Romney and H. Reid)

"Latter-day Saints like M. Romney and H. Reid also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does Obama and his family)(As do Biden and Ryan and their families )

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie/horn-blowing thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.
    ==========================================================================================
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

September 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  13. jholland27

he is not going to win – too many people know he would be a friend only to the very wealthy.

September 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • IDSpud

That is a baseless accusation. Why, oh why, do so many people mindlessly parrot what the liberal pundits put out there?

September 29, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Thinker

It is not baseless. Look at the tax policy he is advocating. I'm a disabled vet, and I am one of the 47%. He doesn't think much of me.

September 29, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  14. Vince

Romney is Hitler reincarnated... let's be honest.

September 28, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Scott

And your beloved Wonder Chimp is Idi Amin.

Scott

September 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Russell's Teapot

Racist and shockingly banal, way to go!!!

September 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • End Religion

Scott is religious. It is the next logical step to bring on the hate of racism.

September 28, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  15. Sandra

Mitt Romney's. Health Care Plan "dialing 911 while dying"

September 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • IDSpud

It's hard to take you seriously Sandra. Do you spout off this kind of drivel because you actually believe it? This kind of statement is as bad as the far right wing garbage.

September 29, 2012 at 12:34 am |
  16. Gordon Burnet

Keep religion out of our politics.

September 28, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • End Religion

but they go great together, just like chocolate and peanut butter!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLDF6qZUX0&w=640&h=390]

September 28, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Ed Norton

A Mormon fast from what I have seen is about 6 hours without food. They gorge themselves on cookies and cake afterwards at a church function and congratulate each other on their six hours of 'suffering'.
    By the way I'm not for either Obama or Romney. Both are crooks.

September 28, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • IDSpud

Ed - where do you get your information? Are you suggesting that all LDS members do what you espouse? Can't deny that there are some who do exactly what you state. But that is not the norm. Not for LDS or anyone else who fast as part of their religion. In brief, the Mormon faith suggests its member fast once a month for at least 2 meals, and to take the equivalent value of those 2 meals to give as an offering to the needy. Most I know will donate 8-10X the value of those meals.

September 29, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  18. Chut Pata

Good. Anglicans, start fasting and praying for Obama. Catholics, split into half and pray for the VP candidates. Atheist, don't waste your time praying to a being that does not exist, and form a third party that would consist of rational thinkers that do not believe in fairy tales.

September 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Tomas

Read 'The Maze of Mormonism'. nuff sed!!!

September 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • IDSpud

If that is all anyone reads to learn about Mormonism, then it speaks volumes of the state of our educational system. Talk about closed mindedness. By all means, everyone should read this maze book, but if that person is at all honest with themselves, they would read any literature available that attempts to counter or rebut the maze content. Or, at least read information readily available from lds.org or any other source that provides pear reviewed material on Mormonism. Heaven forbit that anyone attend a Mormon church service or ask a practicing member to find out what Mormons believe. There are interesting and controversial historical events to learn about, but one should also try to understand how a modern day Mormon practices their religion before spouting off as if they know everything about Mormons from reading Maze of Mormonism.

September 29, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • End Religion

To assert that the cult of Mormonism deserves any serious consideration is preposterous. There's no need to learn anything more about it, let alone from the source of the delusion, lds.org. All religion is fraud, but some is even a laughing stock amongst those religions that believe themselves "serious". Mormonism is one of those laughable ones, deserving of any derision it receives.

September 29, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  20. SokrMom

God is not a Republican.

September 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

How true, I think god is an illusion...

September 28, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Athy

God is not. Can I possibly make it any simpler?

September 29, 2012 at 3:21 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

There are two factions mentioned in the Bible, Republicans and sinners. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 6:53 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Can you tell by my constant trolling that I am a freak and will continue to force my beliefs onto other people until I get out of this psychiatric unit and get back to my super huge mansion that I built with McDonalds cups?

September 29, 2012 at 7:32 am |