home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Dogs against Romney

Mitt interupts crowd chanting "ryan" and demands they chant his name too, crowd is dead silent, Mitt pretends they are chearing his name. Fox News even laughs at Mitt!

September 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  2. Walter Tory

Good post . . .I will fast and pray that he gets creamed by Oboma on Oct 3rd debate. Note: From a Utah non-affilated Mormon.

September 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • End Religion

Let me get this straight: you're hoping Obama creams on Romney? No condom, right? Whew... that's harsh, man.

September 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  3. MiddleClassforRomney

SNL: Obama: “ I said from Day One that real change takes more than one term, or even one president. I don't know if it will even happen in eight years. Might take 12. Frankly, I might be long dead. Maybe you'll be dead too."

September 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  4. Dogs against Romney

Please get me off of Mitten's car woof, I mean roof, thank you!

September 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • End Religion

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDPtL5qT9A&w=640&h=390]

September 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  5. southexas

Mitt needs to ask God for foregiveness too after the countless he has going on.

September 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  6. southexas

Mitt better pray asap sine he's losing and he'll lose the debate too. Better luck next time Mitt..

September 29, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  7. BigSkyHumanist

The good news is, if Romney wins that tells us that the evangelical strangle hold on the GOP is slipping. Yeah!!!

September 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  8. MiddleClassforRomney

I'm Catholic, a woman, an immigrant, a US citizen and I've been praying for Romney. My mother and her friends are also praying. We're in the blue state of California and we're for Romney.

Obamanation "I'm pledging to cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term in office" and "If I don't get the unemployment rate under 7%, I deserve to be a one-term president." The Failure-in-Chief Barrack Hussein Obama

September 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • southexas

You have blind eyes. Get educated first..

September 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Mitt promises to blance the budget while cutting taxes by 5 trillion mostly for the rich and increasing military spending by 2 trillion over 4 years. That is impossible, he is a lying sack of Mitt.

September 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hm. I don't know why ANYONE in the middle-class would vote for Romney. He is a profiteering opportunist who's company outsources American jobs. Just look up Sensata Technologies if you want a current example.

September 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

@tallulah
      Not everyone in the middle class wants to stay there. Once you go Republican you never go back. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

@tallulah

September 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • Martha Long

Thank you lady. I agree with your comment 100%.

September 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • tallulah13

Actually, Troll-boy, I was a republican. Then I grew up. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, but I don't believe in voting against my best interests. The republicans are even more blatantly corrupt than the democrats. The libertarians are nuts. Until someone invents a party with common sense as the main platform, I'll stick with the one that seems to understand that a healthy middle class equals a healthy economy. And that sure isn't the republicans.

September 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  9. rasi

i am not american but i have always loved for what you tood for..and we have been on the outside ,looking and seing how much your country as changed the last 4 years..to the worst..economy- debt -lack of respect from all over the world , etc. and i am sad about this..its like u guys are blind to all that..you call evil good and good evil...i am sure you will get what you want...it will be a sad day...i am so proud today for being a canadian and i used to wish i was american...no more

September 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

Either you're a republican troll or you really weren't paying that much attention if you think this started 4 years ago. Were you in a coma during the Bush administration?

September 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

When faced with Obamas incompetence try to throw "W" under the bus. That only works on hard core qu-eers, atheists and perverts, the other 99% of the voting public, that are the rest of us are wise to that lie. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • tallulah13

Whatever, troll-boy. You probably aren't even registered to vote.

September 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Not only do I vote but I vote in multiple precincts as well as seeing that the right to vote is not lost to registered Republicans who have passed on through no fault of their own. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  10. Bill McGee

As a Mormon who finds Romney to be an embarrassment to my faith, I intend to cancel out Sister Williams' fasting and prayer for Mitt by fasting and praying myself that Romney royally screws up during the debates. :-)

September 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • truth be told

Someone must have prayed that you "screws up" your post

September 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Truth be told, pray for better posts, yours are idiotic.

September 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • truth be trolled

The only kind of "trickle down" that actually works:

Little ho mophobic troll idiot degenerates to:
      "truth be told" degenerates to:
      "Ronald Regonzo" generates to:
      "tina" – degenerates to:
      "Atheism is not healthy..." degenerates to:
      "just sayin" – degenerates to:
      "captain america" – degenerates to:
      "WOW" – degenerates to:
      "nope"
      "pervert alert"
      "2357" – degenerates to:
      "herbie" – degenerates to:
      "chad" – degenerates to:
      "Douglas" – degenerates to:
      "herbie" – degenerates to:
      "fred" – degenerates to:
      "ug" – degenerates to:
      "!" – degnerates to:
      "j" – and many other names, but it's still the same disgruntled ex
      Evangelical Fortune Cookie "writer".

September 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • truth be told

Only a fool would call proven wisdom idiotic,

September 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  11. Aaron

I understand Mona's frustration with the reality of our world today...but Im conflicted about giving so much energy to prayer and fasting for God to bless someone who has more blessings than anyone I personally know. We should be praying, meditating, and fasting for God to bless everyone...not just some man who is using GREED to bring about his own ambitions. Lets pray that we can again find the seeds to grow the fruits of the spirit in these trying times....the fruits are no longer there...(in case you've forgotten what they are: LOVE, PEACE, FAITHFULNESS, JOY, GOODNESS, GENTLENESS, PATIENCE, SELF-CONTROL, and KINDNESS)...Pray for the President, Pray for your Family, Pray for Neighbor, and if you feel that Mitt Romney is one of those relations to you then Pray for him too.

September 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • truth be told

Mormons are not Christians, they do not pray or fast to God.

September 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  12. Rufus T. Firefly

Here's the compelling thing about Romney, he...umm....wait....dang, I lost it.

Never mind.

September 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Compelling? Romney will be the next President of the USA owning the electoral college. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Sure Ronald, and Jesus came from the planet Kolob, oh wait that is what Mitt believes.

September 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Well Mitt does have a dancing horse and an elevator in one of his houses just for his cars, that is kind of cool.

September 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  13. judy

Oh lets put God into politics now . He doesn;t have enough to do?. What does he think of mittens lies??. Get real Tired of this God on our side . Since when does bullet proof undies have anything to do with God. ????? Forward 2012

September 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  14. Robertmiii

So Romney is a Mormon Priest eh... just what our Federal government needs-a Mormon Priest.! Isn't there a law or something about keeping religion out of the Federal government? I hope the Southern Baptists in the tea party study up on Mormonism..

September 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  15. Coherent1

I guess people of faith are divided. You have those that are praying and fasting for Romney and those that are doing the same for Obama. This also happened in 2008. So does this mean that if one wins over the other, their God is truer? Obama won in 2008 after prayers and fasting went up for both candidates. Do we ignore God's will for Obama? Are we saying that God wants a new candidate? Why would he chose a candidate that switches positions from day to day? Are they saying that God's answer in 2008 was no for some and yes to others? Really?

September 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • woweverynametaken

Presumably if they are truly Christians following Christ's example, then they will add "but Thy will be done." Thus they will (unknowingly) be requesting the same outcome. Remember that Balaam was unable to curse his enemies, because even in his foolishness he recognized that he could not pray for God to act against God's own will.

September 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • truth be told

Poor leadership is a curse of God on a nation. America must atone for her sins.

September 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Coherent1

woweverynametaken: "Thy will be done" is what most Christians forget. I don't doubt that they're Christians, but I must say there's a lack of understanding.

September 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Coherent1

Truth be told: Now the question would be "who's a poor leader?" Did American's suffer under Bush or Obama? That would also call for a partisan response, and would also reveal a division within the Christian faith.

September 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • truth be told

Bush was poor, Obama is poorer and Mitt will be poorer yet. There is a crisis facing America, the const itution is hanging by a thread and we are presented two incompetents to lead the USA. The longer America persists in sinning the less qualified and competent our leaders become. Repent or be crushed in judgement.

September 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
  16. 1amazed2u

Romney .......... No honesty no integrity

September 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Honesty and integrity are highly over rated and should not be used to limit a Republicans options. "truth " also is optional to us and should never be an impediment to electoral success (Ask Karl). Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  17. 1amazed2u

Romney and Ryan ........ Laurel and Hardy of the 21st century

September 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  18. 1amazed2u

Romneyhood ........ Give to the Rich take from the poor

September 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Mitt

I cherish poor Americans. No one cares more for poor Americans than I do. Without poor Americans there would be no 1%. They make wealth possible and what could be more American than that?

September 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

September 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent truths is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent truths, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  20. Willard Mittens

Mitt has the magic underwear with the Holy Skidmarks.

September 29, 2012 at 12:01 pm |