home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Canuck

Mormonism is not a Christian Religion – A Christian is someone who believes Jesus is the son of God. Mormons believe MIchael the Archangel is the son of God and Lucifer is Michael's older brother. Jesus was only the form Michael took when he came to Earth. Mormons also believe that when men die they become Gods and when woman die there purpose is to serve these so called Gods. What a joke

September 29, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Michael

Actually, you are incorrect about Mormon beliefs...I will try and help teach you: the church's official name is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Jesus Christ is the central figure in the religion, and salvation through His Atonement and Grace. Michael the Archangel is not Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is Jehovah of the Old Testament, and the Savior and Redeemer of the world, born to the virgin Mary in Bethlehem and laid in a manger, who preached the Sermon on the Mount, healed the sick, walked on water, chose apostles, prayed in Gethsemane, died on the cross of Calvary, and rose the third day from the dead. He is the Living Christ and the Immortal Son of God. He is the light and the life and the hope of the world. As a Mormon, I believe in Jesus Christ with all my heart. He is my Savior and my King and my Lord. Yes, Mormons are Christians. Thanks!

September 29, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Abinadi

Canuck, you could go to mormon.org and learn what mormons really believe. Apparently, you are the recipient of some very weird information.

September 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • Len

No more a "joke" than any of the other Christian faiths. None of them can really be taken seriously.

September 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  2. BigSkyHumanist

Mormonism is a fascinating study of how a religion begins and how it works. Religion has never been about whats true or even believable. Religion is a cultural construct and one usually belongs to the faith their born into. It's the level of cognitive dissonance within religious communities about other communities that confuses those of us who think all of them are a bit strange.

September 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  3. mccgeno

"I know fasting and praying brings about miracles" You better vote, because people like this do.

September 29, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  4. Sony Bozo & Chair

So she want us to Pray to GOD so that the Raynd-Ronmey team can KEEP LYING to the common PEOPLE while kept fleecing the 99% to enrich the %1 ??? Hmmm... how would a TRUE god judge that prayer ?

September 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  5. escapedmormon

Mitt Romney needs to come clean about that genital mutilation thing.

September 29, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • kyphi

Kinda like when he and other bullies held that kid down and cut his hair. Religion doesn't matter to me when it comes to politics. Romney is a vulture who preyed on the misery of other Americans. He has no compassion and understanding for anyone outside of his socioeconomic circle.

September 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  6. Ronald Regonzo

I am fasting for Romney to win, and also praying that the police don't find all the young boys in my basement.

Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  7. Ronald Regonzo

What do I like best about religion? I would say being molested, I love the sodomy most.

September 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Oh imposter. I do so love getting inside you and then you in me and me in you and you in me. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • .

BULL SH IT ALERT

September 29, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • .

IT'S ALSO BULL SH IT BECAUSE – I DARN MY MOM DROPPED HER PIPE AGAIN. BE RIGHT BACK – JUST GOT TO GO TO THE OTHER END OF THE TRAILER

September 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • Jewel Of Allah

You should know by now, as almost all Republicans know, that Romney and Ryan share a double penetration dildo, gift of Allah, all praise be unto him, through his messenger the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

September 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Is it the fore 'n aft kind that has the knurled grips to steady it?

September 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Why yes it is, and it has Rush's face painted on both heads.

September 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm |

• Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  8. kyphi

This reminds me of fans praying for their teams to win. It's a poor reason to vote for someone because his/her religion is the same as the voter's.

September 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  9. Ronald Regonzo

With Romney as President America will never have to go down on Obama again. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • truth be trolled

Now see – that's why they let you go from the
      Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co..

September 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

I bet you would like to go down on Obama.

September 29, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

My preference is usually for women but Romney makes toes curl and my sphincters dilate. Obama's such a cold bitch.
      Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

When faced with Truth the so called atheist steals a name and degenerates to filth. They are less than 1% of the voting public and about all Obama can count on. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm |

• You are like small dog chasing its own turd down the toilet. There goes Romney! Fetch boy! 2012

September 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • SPCA

You've lost a lot of dogs that way?

September 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  10. linda

I've been a Mormon most of my life, and I think the only hope for this country is Obama.

September 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Aden

May you find the real Jesus and turn your back on those aliens from Kolob.

September 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Dogs against Romney

Wow Ronald Regonzo
      70-30 for Romney, so Mittens really lied when he said 47% of the country would not vote for him!

September 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • End Religion

the real jesus...

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbeHMMHQ4-U&w=640&h=390]

September 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

The losers in the 47% do not vote, most aren't bright enough to find their polling place and of the ones that do they generally screw up the ballot anyway. Romney / Ryan 2012.

September 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • kyphi

Good to know there are rational Mormons. Gods smiles on all religions who preach love for their fellow man. I know some good Atheists, Pagans, and Wiccans too who are compassionate and kind and volunteer regardless of the recipient's religion. We're all on this earth together.

September 29, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  11. smNC

Fasting and prayers are not going to help Romney, fiolks. Get used to it !

September 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Romney is just hedging his bets real data shows a 70 / 30 popular vote favoring Romney and with Ryan as a wild card tea party candidate the sky is the limit. Barak is about to be handed the most resounding NO America has heard since we told King George III to take a hike. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm |

"captain america" degnerates to:
      "nope" degnerates to:
      "2357" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degnerates to:
      "fred" degnerates to:
      "!" degenerates to:
      "pervert alert" or "...."
      and many other names, but of course I prefer to refer to this ho mophobe as
      the disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer".

September 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
  12. MP in VA

What happens when the prayers for Mitt Romney meet the prayers for President Obama? Does God vote to break a tie?

September 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • truth be told

Both are Gods curse to this nation . Poor leadership is the beginning of Gods judgement on the USA.

September 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
    • End Religion

tbt: religion is a curse on mankind. Let it end already...

September 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • nope

@end
      nope

September 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  13. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things. . .

September 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • ElmerGantry

Matthew 21:21:
      I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt,not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
      _______________________________________________________________________
      [A true believer can ask a mountain to throw itself into the sea, and it will be done. LOL!]
      _______________________________________________________________________

Mark 9:23
      All things are possible to him who believes.

Luke 1:37:
      For with God nothing will be impossible.

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

John 14:14 If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Nothing could be simpler or clearer than Jesus' promises about prayer in the Bible.
      So there you have it, straight from Jesus in the New Testament in clear, simple, and unequivocal terms.

Now pray to end the following, international sëx trafficking, child abuse, genetic diseases, bacterial diseases, and war for starters. Waiting for news at 11.

Go ahead prove your claim. Jesus was very specific in promising nothing can not be done by the faithful who pray, so do it.

Go ahead and pray to change the mind of an all knowing all powerful god. God is all knowing and perfect but go ahead and pray to change an all knowing and perfect god's mind. It works, Jesus said it does.

September 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • MP in VA

Many people are praying for the same thing for President Obama. Will it change things, then?

September 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent truths is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent truths, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society
      ....

September 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • truth be told

Poor leadership is a curse of God on America, whether it is Romney or Obama America must repent, turn from its national sins to ever hope to see a competent president.

September 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • just sayin

It is written you shall not put the Lord your God to the test. God bless

September 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

"captain america" degnerates to:
      "nope" degnerates to:
      "2357" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degnerates to:
      "fred" degnerates to:
      "!" degenerates to:
      "pervert alert" or "...."
      and many other names, but of course I prefer to refer to this ho mophobe as
      the disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer".

September 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  14. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

September 29, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society
      ...

September 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Willard Mittens

Prayer only gives you bad knees.

September 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  15. MikeB

Apparently Romney does have a Hope and Prayer.

September 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  16. tbone

This is such a silly thing to obsess about. Harry Reid senate majority leader democrat and right hand man in senate to Obama is mormon too. So what if she sent an emial to her friends to pray for Romney. Are we now going to punish people for faith and prayers? And like she said she isn't praying he wins just that he does well in debates. He probably does need the prayers because Obama is a tough debator. It is another red herring the media is obssessing over so we don't pay attention to the Middle east fail, that is a bipartison problem that is so much worse than any silly gaffe by either one. Mormons are democrats and republicans but they probably feel bad that a member of their faith gets so much negative slanted stuff from media about him (Even from others of his Faith on the left like Reid who falsly said he never paid taxes and "isn't the face of mormonism" because he has sullied his religion (but reid only plants that rumor and doesnt back it up) He is no angel i'm sure, but I doubt he is as bad as media protrays. Lets just listen to the debates and hear what they have to say and then choose. Who cares about all the silly gaffes and stuff. They both have very different views of how government should help Americans and i just want to focus on substance instead of inuendo.

September 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  17. Mike

It's just a cult, albeit a rich and influential cult.

September 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • MikeB

Do you belong to the Obama cult?

September 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • tbone

Very discriminating post. If mormonism is a cult why do they have so many members all over the world and have a couple world renouned universities? Anyway by your logic all churches are a cult. Jesus Christ would be a called a cult leader of the people he taught in the new testament.Islam would be a cult also by that logic because mohommad caimed he saw a vision and then wrote what he was taught. All religions have a beginning theirs just started later than some of the others. And all religions believe miraculous things. An alien coming to earth would have just as many quesions about Christianity or Judaism or any of them. I mean Moses parts the red sea, Christ is risen from the dead, a virgin named Mary conceived a baby by the holy ghost and he was the son of God. I mean faith requires FAITH. Good people everywhere use religion to be better people or on the opposide end to sheild them from their bigotry and justify their hate of others.

September 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • Mary

The tea party is a cult also – they shout "AMEN" and praise the Lord also. And they have caused a tremendous amount of damage to the political discourse and made compromise impossible. That is the danger of dogmatic approaches to complex problems.

September 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  18. John the Historian

Where is the proof that Jesus Christ preached to the American-Indians ? Why are the majority of American-Indians not mormons ? Can they prove that the 13 tribe of Israel sailed to the New World ? Where is their proof ? No Christian Church recognizes the book of mormon.Why ?

September 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Kev

Isn't that kind of like saying why aren't the Jews mostly Christians? Also, it might be a good idea to actually read into the Book of Mormon before commenting about the 13 tribes sailing to the New World since that particular story didn't actually happen in the Book of Mormon.

September 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • kyphi

Because Christians believe the Bible is perfect as is. Mormonism is not the same as Christianity even if they share the same Abrahamic roots.

September 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • truth be told

Mormonism does not come from Abraham.

September 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • kyphi

Then Mormon are not Christians if they do not believe Jesus's lineage can be traced back to Abraham because that is what is written in the Bible.

September 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Where is the proof for any god or any religion? Regardless of the cult or how many members the cult has, the answer is the same – there is not a single shred of objective, factual, independent or verifiable evidence for any of them.

That being said, please vote for the leat delusional candidate – Obama.

September 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • truth be told

Mormons are not Christians.

September 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

It doesn't matter whether morons are christians or not – all believers are delusional.

September 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  19. sally

Personal email. Lol. Please. Rummy pirate is toast.

September 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • tbone

its so ridiculous because Harry Reid senate majority leader democrat and right hand man in senate to obama is mormon too. So what if she sent an emial to her friends to pray for Romney. Are we now going to punish people for faith and prayers. He probably does need the prayers because Obama is a tough debator. It is another red herring the media is obssessing over so we don't pay attention to middle east fail that is so much worse than any silly gaffe by either one. Mormons are democrats and republicans but they probably feel bad that a member of their faith gets so much negative slanted stuff from media about him. He is no angel but I doubt he is as bad as media protrays. Lets just listen to the debates and hear what they have to say and then choose. Who cares about all the silly gaffes and stuff. They both have very different views of how government should help americans and i just want to focus on substance instead of inuendo.

September 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • sally

My view of Rummy pirate isn't because of some email. It's because he's a pirate. But yes, the debate will be interesting, no doubt.

September 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  20. Kev

I do find it amusing that one person's e-mail sent to some family and friends regarding their beliefs would become such a big deal.

September 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm |