home
RSS
Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national
Though not sanctioned by the LDS Church, an email chain is asking Mormons to fast and pray for Mitt Romney before debates.
September 28th, 2012

Personal e-mail urging Mormons to fast and pray for Romney goes national

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – A Utah woman unwittingly started a grassroots campaign when an e-mail she sent to her five children and a handful of friends urging a day of prayer and fasting for Mitt Romney started making the Mormon rounds.

Mona Williams, a Price, Utah, member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, wrote last Sunday evening to tell people closest to her how frustrated she is with the state of the country.

“A lot of my frustration is because I feel I don’t know what to do to really make a change. Well, this time I do,” she wrote. “I am asking you to join me and my family on Sunday Sept. 30 by fasting and praying for Mitt Romney. That he will be blessed in the debates,” the first of which is next Wednesday.

“I know that seems like such a small thing, but I believe ‘from small things, great things can come about,’” she continued. “I know that fasting and praying brings about miracles.”

The message that was intended for a group of about 10 people has since cropped up in Mormon inboxes around the country, including in Colorado, California and Nevada, BuzzFeed reported.

The attention that has followed has left Williams both floored and uncomfortable. When she was contacted by CNN affiliate KTVX on Wednesday, she said, “You could have pushed me over with a feather.”

“Can we just pretend this didn’t happen,” she asked with a laugh when CNN reached her Thursday night. She spoke to fears about those who dismiss people of faith, or take what she and others consider sacred and make it ugly.

“I’m simply a woman with faith,” she told CNN. “I am just a woman who believes that God loves this country and his hand is in whatever happens.”

The shaping of a candidate: A look at Mitt Romney's faith journey

It's common for faithful Mormons to fast for a day each month while offering prayers for a particular purpose.

And for Williams, who works as an aide to special needs kids, it’s prayers – not money – that she has to give to her candidate of choice.

But she also sees that she has struck a chord with those who are like her.

“We’re very silent. We’re not very in your face. I’m not going to go stand up and march … And I’m not going to chew on someone’s backside,” Williams said. “But I can use my faith. It’s a very personal, passionate thing.”

The e-mail was not sanctioned or cleared by Mormon church officials. In fact, the church “is strictly politically neutral and does not endorse political candidates,” LDS Church spokesman Michael Purdy told CNN in a written statement.

Explain it to me: Mormonism | Video: Mormonism defined

The Student Review, a student-run paper at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University posted Williams' message – or at least a version of her message that was forwarded - online, and the responses reveal a community rich with a variety of perspectives.

“I cannot tell you how scared I am for the future of our country,” wrote an unnamed student who is heading toward graduation. “What I do know is that Mitt Romney is a worthy priesthood-holding leader who has the potential to do a lot of good for our country. I know the Lord takes worthy men and makes them qualified for miraculous experiences.”

While another student answered that Romney’s name should be added to the “Temple Prayer List,” others fired back, calling such rhetoric “completely ridiculous” and “embarrassing.”

With or without Romney, D.C. a surprising Mormon stronghold

“You assume that if we fast then God will bless Mitt Romney to win,” wrote Ryan. “Who are you to say that it’s God’s will that Mitt Romney wins? I’ve been an active member my entire life and I can’t support Mitt Romney with a good conscience. Just because he is a member of our church does not mean all of his policies are correct or even moral.”

Added Jay: “The Lord DOES care about who leads our country, He just doesn’t care what party they are from. Only we look at party, whereas the Lord looks on the heart.”

It's precisely with her heart that Williams will fast and pray this Sunday, because that, she said, is what she can do.

"Whatever happens in this country," she says, "at least I've done my part."

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints • Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (2,123 Responses)
  1. Tired of the hoopla against religion

@MaryM
    No!!! Lets let Iran blow us up!

September 30, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  2. DWN

Jesus repeatedly warned about deceptions and false christs during the endtimes. What Mormonism has is a false Christ. Even Gordon B Hinckley said that the Jesus of Mormonism is not the Jesus the rest of us Christians worship. One has to make a choice, one is real and one is an evil imposter. Your leaders were deceived back in the 1830s. Or worse, they were deceivers. Why do Mormon prophets have to correct the horrible errors of former prophets? The things Brigham Young said about black people are truly sickening. Under pressure the LDS caved and allowed blacks into the priesthood. The blood oath in the Temple ritual was too shocking when the world learned more about it, so the LDS church caved again and changed it to make it less gory and less overtly masonic. Joseph Smith had to be one of the biggest hypocrits to ever live. The BOM goes on and on about evil "secret combinations." Then Joseph Smith joins the Freemasons. The markings on the underwear of Temple mormons is masonic. The phrase "secret combinations" was borrowed from the Anti-Masonic political party of their day. The list of deceptions Smith and Rigdon pulled on the world is the stuff of legend, but I will stick with Smith here. Joseph Smith lied about his rampant polygamy, then destroyed the printing press of the Nauvoo Expositor when they were going to expose his lies. A warrant was issued for his arrest. Instead of surrendering he then fled to Iowa. Upon returning he was arrested. A gun was smuggled in so he could escape and he died after he had shot a few men in a gun battle. Joseph Smith was the consumate scoundrel and opportunist. He came up with a system of belief that precludes logic. Under his system of logic: something is true if you feel it is true. But Jer: 17:9 famously says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: Who can know it?" The deceitful writer of the book of Mormon ignore Jeremiahs warning and says that if a seed is planted in a heart, if it grows then it is a good seed. Of course Christians know a seed is judged by the fruit it gives. How many evil movements in this world got started by people were deceived into thinking it feels right. Don't get me wrong, I do not think Mormons are evil, just totally decived on some points of doctrine. But, with a false Jesus, I fear that Jesus might have to say, "I never knew you " come judgment day. I hope this is not true for my sister who is Mormon, but it hurts to think about it. By the way, I converted a 30 year Mormon once, and she told me I knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. When I showed her that Joseph Smith had adapted Masonic temple rituals when he created the Mormon temple rituals, She knew it was true. So you can run away from the truth or bury yourself deeper in Mormonism, it truly is your choice, if you allow yourself to escape from the controls that Joseph Smith created, you can finally have a choice. Adieu.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • LinSea

You seem to have misunderstood President Hinckley's remark, which was made in response to the constant accusations that we worship a different Jesus. We do interpret certain things differently about Jesus Christ than traditional Christianity does, but there is only one Jesus Christ, and we absolutely believe He is the Son of God and that it is only through Him and His sacrifice for us that we can be forgiven of our sins and receive salvation.

October 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • DWN

Lin Sea, then how about this plain as day statement
      in NUMBER 1
      DIVINE AUTHENTICITY OF THE BOOK OF MORMON
      By Orson Pratt
      One of the Twelve Apostles of
      The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

"The nature of the message in the Book of Mormon is such, that if true, no one can possibly be saved and reject it; if false, no one can possibly be saved and receive it."

Mormons can't pretend to be just another Christian denomination, its whole history says it can't. It never wanted to be. It declared the creeds of all other churches to be abominations.

October 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • DWN

Lin Sea, you make the statement that there is only one Christ. In Matt 24:24 Jesus is speaking and warning about false prophets and false Christs. Do you believe there ever have been any false Christs?

October 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  3. edofchattanoogatn

I knew it would not be long before the republiCON party, and the sloth karl rove, would be up to NO GOOD during this 2012 election season. This morning, Sunday, September 30, 2012, I heard a story on CNN that reported a county clerk from FLORIDA was ONLY REGISTERING ROMNEY VOTERS in voter registration at the county clerk offices !!! Is this the kind of rhetoric we will have to put up with and police this election season from the corrupt sloth, karl rove and the sorry GOP ??? I AM NOT SURPRISED; I was expecting this kind of DIRTY TRICK corruption from the sorry "poor losing" republiCON party. They are like the baseball team that takes the bats, balls and gloves, then goes home because they are LOSING; not wanting anyone to play and have fun....if they cannot be the winner !!! TennesseeEd

September 30, 2012 at 8:19 am |
  4. evensteven

In my opinion, it would be much more appropriate to pray for God to "Bless Our Nation" than attach those prayers to a specific candidate. To pray for a specific candidate is a person's effort to impose their belief of what is best, instead of what God considers best in the situation.

Subtly, it's an attempt at imposition of will and therefore not appropriate. According to Mormon theology, it was Lucifer's desire to impose his will on others so they would "do what's right and be saved" that was rejected by God the Father.

September 30, 2012 at 6:31 am |
    • truth be told

There is no blessing involved in the electoral choices. Which ever wins America loses. Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation. We are reaping the results of decades of sin.

September 30, 2012 at 6:36 am |
    • louisezeitlin

Now, I ask you ... do people really think God has time to listen to prayers of mere mortal about an election. I think God has more important things to do than to listen to silly prayers.

September 30, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • Sadie Boyd

thank you for your wisdom...many of us feel this way about God and are saddened by the idea that one side is favored more than another...God is love and love binds all of us to a greater purpose than even the presidential race. God Bless all of us and move our hatred away from our hearts!

September 30, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • Tired of the hoopla against religion

@ 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls
      I would rather take my chances on a power that is good than not! YOU can take your chances on feeling good about yourself to represent a power of evil...that has no respect for life or creation!
      @Len that is the way this country was founded...its people like you who have come in and tried to change it! Why don't you leave!
      @Ronald Regonzo
      Why do you blame this nonsense on GOD???? This crap is man made not GOD made just like denominations...man made! You are on this earth to see if you can survive it... between good and evil simple as that and you have ~72 years on this earth to do your part to help make it good! People have a misconception about Christinity...we are not perfect, we are human but we believe in a God of good and mercy! We believe that GOD sent his son Jesus to save us from our sin because he loves us! Kinda like the military sacrificing their life for the love of man and country....that is a very strong love...would you do it? No need to critize what other people believe!

September 30, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • truth be trolled

"Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation. We are reaping the results of decades of sin."

Yep. It is the disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer" (truth be told)

September 30, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • sam stone

tbt: ooooh.....sin.....scary.....

pull your bible out of your rectum

October 2, 2012 at 7:37 am |
  5. Geoff

If God does have a hand in who wins the election, not a single republican will win any contest. Penguins would want it that way too.

September 30, 2012 at 6:06 am |
    • truth be told

Poor leadership is one way God curses a nation.

September 30, 2012 at 6:10 am |
    • louisezeitlin

You are so right!

September 30, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • truth be trolled

I think I smell a disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. "writer" (truth be told).

September 30, 2012 at 11:22 am |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things..

September 30, 2012 at 6:05 am |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. The degree to which your assertions may represent truths is 0.0. To help you understand the degree to which your assertions may represent truths, I will access my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE). Using my IEE module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book might help you overcome this problem:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

September 30, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  7. OneAM

Makes me laugh when people think someone will be a better president simply because they have the same religion. Of course, it also makes me laugh when religions say "MY god is the real god and their's are fake, ME and MY children will go to heaven(or an equivalent) and they and their children will burn in hell...and good riddence"...actually, that one makes me sad.

September 30, 2012 at 2:42 am |
  8. AngelMoroni

Don't give a darn who wins, my churd will keeps its 10% rolling in ; assuming my man M'Ronmey amends his 2012 returns to get the max deductions. And no matter what H'Reid has my back inside the belt. ;-)

September 30, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • cristopher hitchens

attend the churd of your choice

September 30, 2012 at 6:22 am |
  9. MaryM

Mormons, all the prayers in the world will not help mitt win this election. But if your prayers make you feel better about mitt losing the election, then by all means, pray

September 30, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Mitt will win and win big. Obama won a peace prize for not being George Bush, Romney will win the White House for not being Barak (baroke) Obama. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 30, 2012 at 6:13 am |
    • Tired of the hoopla against religion

Why is it necessary to criticize?

September 30, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  10. Reality

Only for new members of this blog:-->>

AND THE INFAMOUS ANGELIC CONS CONTINUE TO WREAK STUPIDITY UPON THE WORLD

Joe Smith had his Moroni. (As do M. Romney and H. Reid)

"Latter-day Saints like M. Romney and H. Reid also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does Obama and his family)(As do Biden and Ryan and their families )

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie/horn-blowing thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    =============================================================================================

September 30, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Abinadi

Reality lives in la la land.

September 30, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yep.

September 30, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • Reality

Some added references to "tink-erbells".

newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

"The belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all antiquity; pagans, like Menander and Plutarch (cf. Euseb., "Praep. Evang.", xii), and Neo-Platonists, like Plotinus, held it. It was also the belief of the Babylonians and As-syrians, as their monuments testify, for a figure of a guardian angel now in the British Museum once decorated an As-syrian palace, and might well serve for a modern representation; while Nabopolassar, father of Nebuchadnezzar the Great, says: "He (Marduk) sent a tutelary deity (cherub) of grace to go at my side; in everything that I did, he made my work to succeed."
      Catholic monks and Dark Age theologians also did their share of hallu-cinating:

"TUBUAS-A member of the group of angels who were removed from the ranks of officially recognized celestial hierarchy in 745 by a council in Rome under Pope Zachary. He was joined by Uriel, Adimus, Sabaoth, Simiel, and Raguel."

And tin-ker- bells go way, way back:

"In Zoroastrianism there are different angel like creatures. For example each person has a guardian angel called Fravashi. They patronize human being and other creatures and also manifest god’s energy. Also, the Amesha Spentas have often been regarded as angels, but they don't convey messages, but are rather emanations of Ahura Mazda ("Wise Lord", God); they appear in an abstract fashion in the religious thought of Zarathustra and then later (during the Achaemenid period of Zoroastrianism) became personalized, associated with an aspect of the divine creation (fire, plants, water...)."

"The beginnings of the biblical belief in angels must be sought in very early folklore. The gods of the Hitti-tes and Canaanites had their supernatural messengers, and parallels to the Old Testament stories of angels are found in Near Eastern literature. "

"The 'Magic Papyri' contain many spells to secure just such help and protection of angels. From magic traditions arose the concept of the guardian angel. "

For added information see the review at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

September 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  11. SafeJourney

This is just sad. What if a mormon is not voting for Mitt. Prayers will not help Mitt the twit mormon

September 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Runaway Slave

It's amazing how much ill-will the Obama supports have for their fellow citizens.

September 30, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • MaryM

Runaway, And you a just a sad little person to think that its ill will for the mormons to believe prayer will help mitt.

September 30, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • Ronald Regonzo

The minimal Obama supporters here are the so called atheist, ho mo se xual pervert vote. That amounts to less than 1 % of the normal voting public and is about all Obama can really count on. The other 99% of voters, those who lead normal productive lives will be supporting Mitt 70/30. Romney / Ryan 2012

September 30, 2012 at 6:18 am |
  12. katremark

Time to revoke their tax-exempt status. They are a political organization that is attempting to impose its social/religious views on the rest of the country. They use church organizations and facilities routinely to advocate political action by their cult members.

September 29, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • jimmerforpresident

Yeah! I'm so sick of the Mormons using Harry Reid as their hand puppet to push their liberal agenda! .

PS – your attempts at understanding non-profit tax laws are adorable. Keep being cute.

September 30, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Abinadi

What nonsense!

September 30, 2012 at 12:04 am |
    • MikeB

Remove Media Matter's tax exempt status.

September 30, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • Kev

Did you actually read the article? Because your comment doesn't seem to make any sense. The article isn't about any stance on either presidential candidate or political party that is supported by the church. In fact, the article specifically refers to the neutral stance taken by the church despite the political sentiment of one of it's members.

September 30, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • LinSea

Very, untrue accusation @katremark. Please read the article more carefully. The church does not permit political rallies or activities and does not support candidates or political parties. The only time I ever hear politics mentioned from the pulpit is about this time every year when church members are reminded of our duty as citizens of the U.S. to vote and to become informed on the issues and candidates before choosing how they will vote.

October 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  13. Reader

I think I'm going to pass out during this election. One guy so liberal it's jaw-dropping, and the other a Mormon who's wife gets insulted by other Mormons for not wearing magical underwear. It's creepy but I knew some Mormons and they tried to convert me as a teen... they don't pray like other Christians with hands folded, they pray with their arms crossed! How can you communicate to God with your arms crossed? Also, why are the tan Mormons so unhappy with being darker skinned? I knew one and they constantly said they wanted to be blond with blue eyes and hated themselves. So sad... and they don't serve in the military, they go on missions. And they still celebrate the 1800's and Joseph Smith regularly. Why do they require women to wear magical underwear and restrain from having boyfriends? Why do they lie about their beliefs? Why don't they take good science classes and encourage their women to have careers? What's with the planet Kolab? I'm Not happy with these election choices at all!!!

September 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Wyoming

A couple of corrections:

* A reverent position is encouraged but no prescribed arm postion is required.
      * There are many senior military leaders who are LDS
      * The only celebration is for the LDS exodus from the East to the mountain west
      * When LDS men and women attend the Temple, they wear undergarments to remind them of the covenants they make with God
      * Boyfriends and marriage are encouraged – timing for both should incorporate wisdom
      * BYU has an excellent science program
      * LDS are encouraged to put family first. Many LDS women also have careers.
      * There is no planet Kolob. Joseph Smith indicated that there is a star named Kolob that is closest to the Throne of God.

September 29, 2012 at 10:46 pm |
    • LinSea

I'm a Mormon woman, Reader. When I attended a church-run university, there were women in the ROTC program. I know many other Mormon women who have college degrees and who work in fields ranging from nursing to dentistry, medicine, and physics. I have a bachelor's degree, a technical certificate which took me an additional two years to obtain, and am planning to obtain my Master's degree. While I was growing up–and to this day–the church puts an enormous emphasis on women getting educations and being self-sufficient and independent.

October 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  14. Marz

I think it shows the desperation... After Mitt screwed up his campaign, only a miracle could save him.

September 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Tired of the hoopla against religion

This woman has the right to pray for whoever she wishes! Just like you have the right to dog her personal beliefs...but why would you...did this woman say anything ill-willed against Obama or anyone for that matter...no! She merely said she is praying and fasting for who SHE believes can run this country according to her beliefs!

September 30, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  15. George

Maybe if churchs weren't so full of hypocritical liars (jimmy swaggert, the Bakers, child molesting priests etc) who seem more interested in their power and controlling others people won't be running from organized religion. But there you go, power corrupts and absolute power.. you know the rest.

September 29, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  16. buddmcclure

Sad. I knew a mormon family in Utah. That entire state is caught up in an end times event not many ppl talk about. They have huge underground bunkers full of supplies. Only you have to be an established mormon to have any access to shelter or food if a nuke hits America. If you're NOT MORMON..bend over and kiss your butt good bye. That's how those ppl "care for their fellow man"..HORDING! GREED marks them & the LEADER they pray for!

September 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Abinadi

I think you must be talking about our well organized welfare program. We believe in self reliance both for individuals and for the church. We take care of our own poor. When I was a pastor, people used to come to me for help that were not members of our church. I helped them, but, out of curiosity, I asked one why he didn't go to his own church for help? He said that there was no such thing in his church.

September 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  17. realbuckyball

Please stop praying. God has a plan. You people keep screwing it up.

September 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

God: The prayers! The prayers! I can't think! It never stops. Please make it stop!

God's therapist:
      O.K.
      Just a little pinpri
      ck.
      There'll be no more aaaaaaaaah!
      But you may feel a little sick.
      Can you stand up?
      I do believe it's working, good.
      That'll keep you going through the show
      Come on it's time to go.

September 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  18. Len

If she thinks God loves this country so much why would she possibly wish Mitt upon us as president?

September 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • Abinadi

I think Mitt Romney would be an excellent president. He is a good man and would go to his knees for help like George Washington did. I also think Obama is a good man who is honestly trying, but I don't think his basic premises are working so it is time to try something else. Also, I am uncomfortable with the way he is handling Iran. Is he going to give them the bomb? There is no wiggle room on that one!

September 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • MaryM

Abinadi, so you want mitt to bomb Iran.. Wow, just wow

September 30, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • sam stone

"He is a good man and would go to his knees for help"

Maybe that is how he got Ryan to join up in the first place

October 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  19. IslandAtheist

Better sacrifice a goat too.

September 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • buddmcclure

Named ROMNEY! Bring him in..strapped to the roof of his car!

September 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
    • MaryM

Actually a sheep would be more like it. The Romney sheep, formerly called the Romney Marsh sheep but generally referred-to by the local farmers as the Kent, is a breed of sheep originating in England

September 30, 2012 at 1:30 am |
    • Tired of the hoopla against religion

She has a right to pray for whomever she pleases...just like you have the right to dog her personal beliefs. But why would you? Please go away!

September 30, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  20. Robert Brown

1928 editorial from the Wall Street Journal, “What America needs today is not Government controls, industrial expansion, or a bumper corn crop; America needs to return to the day when grandpa took the team out of the field in the early afternoon on Wednesday in order to hitch them to the old spring wagon which grandma put all the children after she washed their faces shining clean; and they drove off to prayer meeting in the little white church at the crossroads underneath the oak trees, where everyone believed the Bible, trusted Christ, and loved one another.”
    The answer to our problems is not government, it is spiritual. Falling away from our Lord and his church caused problems in families and homes which caused problems with our political system and government. Repent America.

September 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Chad

Well said Robert

September 29, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

What a load of crap! What America needs is to continue to shed silly myths and move fully into the 21st century.

September 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • ann garrison

I can tell you something better than that... First, America needs to repent for slavery years ago. You repeat what you sow...
      ag

September 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Ah yes the good old days when women could not vote and blacks were considered animals. Praise Jebus!

September 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Bonsoir Robert,

American society has seen widespread Restorationist movements before, and perhaps will again. In the meantime, perhaps small enclaves are what you are looking for where you can enjoy the company of people of like-mind to the exclusion of others. Personally, I enjoy the challenges that come with living in a complex and diverse society. I also like the freedom to inquire into the true nature of things that religion regards as settled. If you do go off somewhere to live life as your God intends please encourage at least some of your fellow believers to make really excellent cheeses. I'd like to come visit.

September 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
    • Len

If we were a Christian nation maybe, but we're not, so no. There are as many non-Christian Americans as there are left-handed Americans, gay Americans, disabled Americans, Native Americans, Californian Americans, vegetarian Americans and loads of other, non-typical Americans. People who speak like you do Robert really ought to get out of the Bible Belt some time. It's a big, DIVERSE, country out there.

September 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Abinadi

Len, we ARE a Christian nation. If you do not pledge allegiance to "one nation under God", then, you are not an American. Our motto is, In God we Trust! We ARE a Christian nation and according to Teddy Roosevelt, there is no room in our nation for people with divided loyalties. You are either with us or against us.

September 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Abinadi, that's just strange. No one requires or can require anyone to say a loyalty oath in order to be American. Also, I am very much with you when it comes to defending and upholding your rights as an American even though I don't share your religion.

September 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Robert Brown's 1928 editorial reminds me of the great Yogi (Berra that is).

"It's déjà vu all over again."

Religious apologists pining for the 'good ol' days' is an American continuum.

September 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

For those of you who miss the 'good ol' days' of divinely inspired American exceptionalism might I suggest:

America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert. On sale next week.

Book store nation, in the history of mankind there has never been a greater country than America. You could say we're the #1 nation at being the best at greatness.

But as perfect as America is in every single way, America is broken! And we can't exchange it because we're 236 years past the 30-day return window. Look around–we don't make anything anymore, we've mortgaged our future to China, and the Apologist-in-Chief goes on world tours just to bow before foreign leaders. Worse, the L.A. Four Seasons Hotel doesn't even have a dedicated phone button for the Spa. You have to dial an extension! Where did we lose our way?!

It's high time we restored America to the greatness it never lost!

Luckily, AMERICA AGAIN will singlebookedly pull this country back from the brink. It features everything from chapters, to page numbers, to fonts. Covering subject's ranging from healthcare ("I shudder to think where we'd be without the wide variety of prescription drugs to treat our maladies, such as think-shuddering") to the economy ("Life is giving us lemons, and we're shipping them to the Chinese to make our lemon-flavored leadonade") to food ("Feel free to deep fry this book-it's a rich source of fiber"), Stephen gives America the dose of truth it needs to get back on track.

Of course I haven't read it yet.

September 29, 2012 at 11:27 pm |