home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: My Take • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. tj

Mind your own business, you twits.

September 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • tc

That's like saying "I'm an athletic person", I just havn't been to the gym or jogging or played a sport in 10 years. To be something you have to participate in it.

September 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  2. Brian Gardner

Whoever wrote this article is the exact type of person they're ranting against! I'm spiritual, but not religious. To me that means I believe in God, but I believe in sleeping in on Sundays too. It means I'll read and decide what to believe for myself instead of having someone tell me what to believe.

I think this person has a chip on their shoulder because some self absorbed hipster who called himself spiritual, but not religious. Glad you make sweeping generalizations for a group of people that, even you acknowledge, do not consider themselves a group.

I believe there is some truth in all religion and no religion has all of it. I study, I learn, I make up my own mind. That's what I want for everyone. If it leads you to Christianity, Buddhism, anything in between, or a mixture....great. Just think for yourself and don't judge my beliefs simply because you don't agree with them.

September 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • E

And what is wrong for those who think for themselves and choose unity?

What is wrong in finding a common purpose or common causes, provided those causes are for the greater good?

I have yet to see an individual completely alone launch rockets for exploration, figure out and cure complex diseases, or feed starving nations.

September 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • roscoe

Yeah well you know what ticks me off? People who are religious but not spiritual. You know the kind: people who go through all the motions of whatever it is their religion tells them to do, but at the end of the day these people have no compassion, no empathy, no tolerance, no nothing, for anyone or anything. These 'religious' people who are so utterly judgmental of others, who take no joy in life, who are just plain sad.

September 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • E

@roscoe

Somehow, I think the percentage of what you described will be greater in the "spiritual but not religious" and "neither" than in the "religious but not spiritual" or "both."

Take the bigger picture.

September 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  3. ChrisInLA

(continued from previous post)

"A bit of Yoga here, a Zen idea there..." ALL religions are hodgepodges of dogma and practices borrowed, adapted and invented over time. Baptism has its roots in the Jewish mikvah. Transubstantiation began not with Jesus but the Fourth Council of the Laterna in 1215. Clerical celibacy owes as much to church economics as to commitment to the Bride of Christ. Even individuals within formal religions choose what to accept and what to reject: there are atheist and Buddhist Jews, Catholics who practice contraception, Muslims to drink alcohol.

(continued in next post)

September 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Joe

Your whole series of posts can be summarized in a single word: bullshit.

September 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  4. ChrisInLA

(continued from previous post)

I do belong to an organized religion–but only after decades of exploration and consideration during which I struggled to find a set of values and commitments that satisfied me. I know many people who do not subscribe to a group but still have a strong, inquisitive, morally admirable sense of principles that include a less specified universal power. Like any positions that cannot be proven or disproven, belief in God and atheism are acts of faith. And so are all the positions in between.

(continued in next post)

September 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • End Religion

atheism is to faith as
      transparent is to color

September 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  5. Leeroy

I think the author should write an article on being "Religious but not Spiritual" and report on which is better. :) As for me, I think it's in poor taste to pick on other people's religions or beliefs. I think that that is in harmony with one of our Articles of Faith. For the record, I'm a Mormon. :)

September 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Do you wear your magic underwear?

September 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Leeroy

Absolutely. Wouldn't leave home without them. Check out the missionaries to see how you can get a pair of your very own. BTW, the author might consider a third topic for you: "Not religious or Spiritual". ;)

September 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • End Religion

Leeroy emailed me. He's embarrassed to admit he does where magic underwear. It is pink with frilly lace edges, with a repeating design of little gold Joseph Smith plates.

September 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Leeroy

Looks like I beat you to your extremely funny punch line "End Religion". Maybe to author should consider a fourth article for you called "No religion, no Spirit, no humor". :)

September 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  6. Steve

I can't believe CNN would post something like this. I'm removing CNN from my bookmark.

September 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
    • nope

@steve
      nope

September 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Athy

Wow, Steve. Removing their bookmark! That'll teach them a lesson, won't it?

September 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Chris S

Steve,
      Don't take it off your app. It makes for an interesting conversation. It's definitely thought provoking.

September 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  7. Religion_KIlls_Sometimes_Spirituality_Never

roch_doc, It is religion which has to grow into spirituality and not other way around. roch_doc, I do not think that you and I are fooling ourselves, because these are our individual views.

September 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  8. ChrisInLA

While I agree with the author's contention that there are certainly a great many in the world who reject organized religion through a laziness of thinking or moral courage, his rigidity in suggesting there are only two paths–hierarchies, formalized practices, rules and history or a touchy-feelie, New Age affectation–betrays an arrogance by not considering a third (or fourth or fifth) possibility.

(continued in next post)

September 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Luis Wu

They don't reject religion through laziness. They reject it by THINKING, using logic and reason instead of blindly accepting ancient mythology and superst!tious nonsense as reality.

September 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • nope

@luis
      nope

September 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Joe

ChrisInLA, holy wrongthink there. Hoping for a sky fairy of a religion to swoop in and save you rather than dealing with your own problems is pure cowardice in and of itself. Thinking that you are "special" in the eyes of that sky fairy is also arrogant.

September 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • nope

@joe '
      nope

September 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  9. Chucky

I read this twice because I couldn't believe what I was reading. Terribly pompous of one to try to come between another and their way to God. Far be it from me, one of the spritual but not religious, to be so arrogant as to think I know a better way for anyone.

I'm so glad I don't live by a set dogma especially if it breeds this kind of derision and contempt. Honestly, I think we as spritual not religious believers are evolving beyond the confines of rigid religion used to distort and control populations.

There is one thing I will take away from this sad confession of stagnant thinking. I need to exercise more discipline in my individual relationship with God. Thanks for making me a better person yet again religious zealots!

September 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Joe

Yeah, but Chucky, first prove that there is a god. So far no one has.

September 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Chucky

Hey Joe! That's the beauty of it, I don't need to. I don't come between you and your beliefs, you don't come between me and mine. We're both logical human beings that have our ways in the world and we're doing just fine with what we've each individually figured out. I don't dislike anyone based on beliefs because honestly, no one knows for sure what happens beyond death. You can chose to beleive you cease because your bodily functions cease, or you can chose to believe you go on to another dimension of existence because your soul is eternal. Not a one of us cause prove the truth of what happens after death. Either way, it doesn't matter because we'll be dead. Death, the great leveling field! With the threat of sounding like a hippy, I just want clean air, water, and soil, healthy food, a cure for cancer, regular weather seasons in Montana, lots of friends and family, and good times to balance the challenging ones. But maybe that's just me.

September 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  10. Joe

Our evangelist ass hole "nope" has been reduced to single word replies, not that he ever had an argument to make. He's quite the pathetic, cowardly little troll.

September 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Luis Wu

And single syllable word too. Probably all his simple mind can come up with.

September 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm |

nope

September 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • nope

@joe,
      nope

September 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • truth be told

I've read some of your stuff "nope" is right you're wrong and "nope" states it with an assured grace.

September 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  11. Bob Fasic

The author has a high regard for structure and dogma. Consider the personal relationship between self and god contained in the practices of native americans. Is it impossible for me to have a personal visual communication with Jesus? Can I not talk to god as if he or she were here with me?

September 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Athy

You can't talk to something that doesn't exist.

September 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • igoryok

So you want to equate your approach to taht of numerous native american tribes, yet still narrow it down to Christian central tenets that were initially used to subjugate and exploit native Americans, discrediting their beliefs as primitive and barbaric?

September 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  12. Bills Cat

September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  13. Mike Devereaux

In America, Americans enjoy freedoms. I don't tell you Alan that you must eat your hamburger at McDonalds. And if you don't think that your hamburger is exactly like religion, then back-off. You're a very little, little close-minded fellow, Alan.

September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  14. conston

While I agree with the author's contention that there are certainly a great many in the world who reject organized religion through a laziness of thinking or moral courage, his rigidity in suggesting there are only two paths–hierarchies, formalized practices, rules and history or a touchy-feely, Whoa Bro affectation–betrays an arrogance by not considering a third (or fourth or fifth) possibility.

September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  15. chloe

I am one who rejected religion due to the fact that there is too much hate being spread in the name of God. And I'm tired of people using God as their scapegoat when THEY made a mistake, i.e. "It's God's will" instead of "I made the wrong choice and now I must face the consequences". The implication is that I am sitting on a fence and not making decisions or caring only for myself – simply untrue! I care more for others than myself and no one would ever accuse me of sitting on a fence! I'm always one who takes a stand. I can say the same for all my other friends who are more spiritual than religions. He has his right to his opinion – but I completely disagree with his concept.

September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • tony

I agree 100% with you. I belief in a direct connection with "God" with no man between us. Very simple...

September 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  16. conston

flaccidity

September 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  17. Davin

Really CNN?!? I thought I was reading The Onion there for a minute. Does this man have any formal secular education?

September 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  18. noslen

being spritual mean I don't have to send my hard earned money to some place who then can calim it as tax free income

September 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  19. a10000lies

Just because some people don't share the same "conventional" religious beliefs that you do, does not mean they are a "fence sitter". Who are you to tell people to pick a side? You know no better than the next person what happens to you, if anything, after you die. The more and more I get pulled into reading these articles in the belief section the more I see ignorance.

September 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Luis Wu

And what's wrong with fence sitting, it just means you don't pretend to actually know one way or the other.

September 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • a10000lies

Agreed.

September 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • alex

Fence siting is the middle of the road, dogma and organized religion may be the first steps into the spiritual path, but who if not us is responsible for finding God within us?

September 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  20. Nick

What a load of crap this commentary is. Why does CNN put this on the front page?

September 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm |