home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: My Take • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. Amy Yancey

If you think it's unpopular, as you claim in your article, to belong to a religious organization, you must not live in the bible belt. Also, "spiritual" people claiming they are in a more profound relationship with – whatever- has no ground. Show me where these claims are being made. Where's your backup?

September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  2. Roy Ortega

Alan Miller is wrong. He is typical of religiousness that tries to justify the baggage that comes with organized religion. I believe it is entirely possible to believe strongly in God without being tied to religion. It's not a cop-out: It's the most intelligent way of accepting God.

September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • jenngg

Well said.

September 30, 2012 at 8:27 am |
    • Andre

I give you free will but do as I say

September 30, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  3. Veritas

Organized religion is, has always been, and will continue to be for some time, a destructive and oppressive force. Based on misogynyst, hateful, patriarchal ideas from the bronze age, the judeo-christian religions continue to plague civilization even in our time, with islam now having peaking in terms of intolerance and violence. If this "spiritual but not religious" movement, whatever that means, is a first step away from the evils of religion than that is a very good thing.

September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  4. Justo!

Hey, hats off to the Author! He has pulled off one of the largest and most widely effecting trolls in the history of the inter-webs!

September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  5. stony

how did the author get the platform for such a misguided absurd thesis.
    I always thought Budhisim was a spiritual philosphy and not a religion.
    Is he dismissing the spiritual lives of hundreds of millions of people world wide,
    why does he just come out and say, "you have to think like me, damn it!"

September 30, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  6. bcatl

Alan Miller is just trying to make a buck! This is nothing but an advertisement for his own agenda. He doesn't care what you believe or don't believe. He, just like so many others have turned peoples belief systems into a cash cow, and the very fact that people even respond to his nonsense proves his theory works and works very well. I can believe what I want to believe and gain everything I desire without sending a dime. That doesn't fit into today's pay to hear what you want to hear world. Make a choice? I have, and it doesn't include the vain imaginations of men.

September 30, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  7. anwaw

Unfortunately for the author, his failure to make a coherent and effective argument made me believe even further in the spiritual but not religious experience. If this is the best argument he could come up with, it's pretty clear I've chosen wisely. Perhaps he needs those external structures for his stage of growth, but many of us are beyond that.

September 30, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  8. Tax Damned Churches NOW

Maybe if religion had not been WRoNG about nearly EVERYTHING for the past oh five thousand years, you'd have more customers in an increasingly educated society – one immune to religious dogma because more and more are aware you can have personal responsibility, ethics and charity without religion. Here's my reasoned response to your mindless, pompass article: go EFF yourself. And afterwards, pay your damned property taxes on those crystal cathedrals you miserable leech and bigoted misogynist.

September 30, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  9. Sam G

There is some kind of personal hatred "interwoven" into his rant for sure. Maybe an ex, who knows. If he had any real substance in his argument, he would have found a less aggressive way to express it.

September 30, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  10. John

The polarized viewpoint expressed in this article is surprising. "Spiritual but not religious" is really short for "Spiritual but not affiliated with an established religion or church". Most of the people in this general category are rational people who have participated in one or more organized religions and understand the difference between spirituality and religion, between faith and church. One of the common character traits among the spiritual-but-not-religious crowd is tolerance. In many cases, the intolerance prevalent in most organized religions has helped drive us away from established religion and towards a peaceful existence emphasizing individual responsibility and working for the greater good of mankind.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
  11. Jennifer Martin

CNN, this is "headline news"??? This writer doesn't understand the obvious: an individual's spiritual or religious beliefs are none of your business.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
  12. JacinJax

The author can't seem to fathom what spiritual but not religious means. It means accepting there is more out there. Something bigger than ourselves but we don't have to name it. We don't have to be lectured on what others say is the meaning of what someone long dead said someone who was deemed holy said...

There are those who need the comfort and guidance of a structured power base telling them who, what, when, where and how and isn't it the most wonderful thing that in America they are free to join such systems. But some of us reject joining a power base that attempts to interject itself into every thought and deed while designating what me must do for the privilege of such attention.

And when making any decision of such importance, a thoughtful person must always Follow The Money. It's not just the money at the local level but up the line of the power structure. Are these fallible humans the ones we should look to when we have questions of belief?

Belief is the leap of faith beyond the proven. Some of us chose to believe that being the best possible person you can be and to walk thru life doing as little harm as possible is more important for the soul than spending a designate day being lectured on what will happen if we don't do what we're told.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • Kris

Couldn't have said it any better!

September 30, 2012 at 8:28 am |
  13. Zoso

The churches want you in church so u can donate money..simple as that...blind followers ask no questions...and reason and independent thinking are the greatest enemy to organized religion...

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
  14. Tim

I resent your thinking that I haven't thought hard about my stand for being spiritual. I did so after deciding that the belief in the God of the Old Testament and all scripture in the Bible was basically BS... There's almost nothing true and factual in there.. examples, the ridiculous description of the creation, and the choosing of Abraham and the 'chosen race', and on and on from there... I refuse to submit my reason to mindless delusion and subjugation, which is all that I think organized religion offers.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • Reggie

I understand your point. Thinking about the topic with our own minds, it sounds crazy. I thought so too. Until I realized, til the day I die someone will always try to convince me their religion is correct. All with sound doctrine and principles. What do I follow? Instead of reading something and saying "hey, this sounds right", I wanted to get to what's right. So I prayed and ask God, his take on it. I just want to do what's right regardless of what any group thinks. In a tough next few weeks of waiting, God revealed to me Jesus and the Bible and continues to affirm that in my day to day life since that time. I believe He responded to my sincere cry to do what He wants and not what a group attempts to convince me of.

September 30, 2012 at 8:30 am |
  15. Mary Jansen

Religion keeps us accountable. Mere spirituality is only a veneer of faith. It has no community, no challenges and no depth to understanding. It is no wonder the world has become such a volatile place for people lack meaningful answers and respond to violence in kind. Instead of investing energy into pondering the deeper meaning of existence they have chosen to blow off the very tools that are there to make their life profoundly meaningful. Being "spriitual" is not enough. It's like building a foundationless house on a sand.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • MCR

Well said, but how do you convince people of the benefits of a religious structure?

September 30, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • Ian

Being spiritual is more akin to building a strong house, but not worrying about the minute details like where did the metal sink drain come from, or what is the story behind the forming of the paint. They are irrelevant unnecessary details. You have a house, now move on, go forth, and help others build their houses. Quit obsessing about the grout in you own bathroom.

September 30, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • Matt

To claim that the volatility in the world today is the result of "spiritualism" is ignore all of history. The volatility in the world today and throughout most of history IS the result of organized religion. More have been slaughtered in the name of God than all other reasons combined. Currently most in the west view the violence of Islamic extremists as barbaric, but the not so long ago barbarism of Christians make todays Right Wing Muslims look quaint. Religion isn't the solution to violence in the world, it's the cause.

September 30, 2012 at 8:34 am |
    • anwaw

You simply do not understand. I assessed the structures in place and found them lacking, more adherent to established norms than seeking truth. As such, I turned within and found all the sructures we need to understand and connect with all of life are there. I can hang out with people singing and eating donuts separate from that, but my ability to see the love of God and fundamental but lacking wisdom flowing through most experiences in Islam, Christianity, and the others connects me to all.

September 30, 2012 at 8:37 am |
  16. MCR

This article does nothing to try to convince the "spiritual but not religious" crowd that there's any reason to join organized religion. Instead, it passes judgement and puts them down.

I strongly feel that the right religious choice (which will vary from person to person) can enhance one's spirituality, which I define as a personal relationship with G-d, whether you define G-d as Vishnu, Bhudda, Jesus, Hashem, Allah, or the flying spaghetti monster.

I have found that through observance of my religion's rituals and practices I am able to infuse every-day activities with a level of spirituality. I praise G-d when I wash my hands, I thank G-d for creating a world filled with delicious food when I sit down to eat, and I bless G-d when I wake up for the miracle of life and when I am about to go to sleep I pray to be rejuvinated. I pray daily because that is what my religion requires, and use that meditative time to reflect on how to better relate to my family, friends, and anyone else and how I an be a better person.

I respect the "spiritual but not religious" crowd, because they're trying to work out esoteric ideas but lack the structure that might help them figure out their place in the universe. Keep searching!

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
  17. nogodatall

And I find it's getting harder to hang out
    With grown adults who actually believe
    In Santa Clause and Noah's Ark, and Their god is the best
    My distaste has turned into detest
    -Fat Mike of NOFX

September 30, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Saphyrre

And faith is being fancied over reason.

September 30, 2012 at 8:39 am |
    • Eric

Man's reason is laughable.

September 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  18. Mark DiSciullo

The article inspired me...the comments depress me.

September 30, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Reggie

I agree.

September 30, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • Mary Jansen

Mark, I agree. But I think that many who surf the net are not part of any religious organization. It's a different demographic. Not only that, but it's Sunday morning and those Christians who choose to go to church are simply focused on better things. Just some thoughts from an utter stranger...

September 30, 2012 at 8:28 am |
    • anwaw

I think if you had had a transcend spiritual experience that has no words for it or religious structures but is profound and life altering in awakening to an awareness of the bond between all life, you too would realize why this article is written by someone who is simply at a very elementary level of awareness and cruelly judging a mindset he cannot yet grasp.

September 30, 2012 at 8:43 am |
  19. TJ

God created the spirit, Man created religions. I'll worship God and not Man, thank you very much. As for the Bible, no book in Western civilization has been more twisted and warped for individual personal gain than the Bible. I'm pretty certain I can read and interpret God's word through the Bible as well as any religious personage, so why do I have to follow a church's dogma in order to do so?

And why should God and science be seperate? Isn't it possible that God made science so that we would have a tool by which to better understand God's creation and, by extension, God himself?

September 30, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • MCR

As for how the Bible has been twisted and warped, I agree. We need to strive to understand the Bible better and to challenge those who will pervert the divine words.

If your religion forces you to follow a dogma and won't let you question it, it may be play for a different team. There are certainly religions out there that encourage questioning. Look at the Talmud. The sages are constantly questioning and challenging each other over both fine points of Jewish law and the big existential questions.

G-d and Science should complement each other. You are exactly correct about that. You might want to read Gerald Schroeder's book "Creation and The Big Bang" to get a positive perspective on how religious belief and science can complement each other.

September 30, 2012 at 8:30 am |
  20. mm

An author 'peddling' religion based on an us vs. them meme......how original...

September 30, 2012 at 8:22 am |