home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. Earnest

If you treat people right you'll have a better life – and probably only one life at that. That's my religion and so far it's working out fine.

September 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  2. georgebushSR

Really really bad article

September 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  3. spbutNotReli

The only appropriate comment I can think of in response to this idiot (author) is- Go F yourself. Hope that's clear enough for you.

September 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  4. Barbara

I am not religious. I hesitate to declare myself to be spiritual. I think that is a judgment for others to make about me (kind of like beauty).

September 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  5. MeMeMeMe

This is just another piece of trash bought from a content farm, showing the journalistic decline of CNN

September 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  6. Somename

Religion advocates and evangelical types display within their message whats really wrong with them and religion. Mr. Miller here is afraid that non religious types feel free to run around doing whatever they want with out a concern for moral or spiritual consequences. I have noticed that many people who are overly religious are so because they are afraid to handle life on their own. They are afraid that without the guidance of some god with a rulebook that they and everyone else would run wild in the streets killing and stealing etc. They don't seem to understand that most of us who shun religion aren't immoral, we simply know how to love one another and follow a positive spiritual path because it comes naturally to us. Fear, hatred, greed, religion is a medication for these symptoms. But humans can be stronger than the crutches we use. "Spiritual but not religious people" are learning to just be human and love one another without doing so just because somebody told them to.

September 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Hamm

This guy's not interested in any old people adopting any old religion just to have a set of morals to guide their lives. He's interested in preventing Christians from drifting away to "spiritual" lives, and trying to frighten those who have back into the fold. He doesn't really care about morals, he's just interested in keeping people on the Christian reservation.

October 1, 2012 at 12:00 am |
  7. scb

I am a Catholic, but I can see some benefits to Spiritual but not Religious: they don't try to convert anyone, subvert the political process to support their own doctrine, or go to war to protect their position. What evil they do they don't do in the name of God.

September 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • Athy

And at least they're halfway to the truth.

September 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Gloria Dyer

Well said, Many religious people have been evil. The muslim terrorists that blow themselves up in the name of Allah, The Catholic priests that abused the youth in their parish. Politicians that go to church regularly, but commit evil.
      You can be religious and evil, but not spiritual and evil. Spirituality is your one to one connection with a higher power. Those feelings go to the core of your being and are infused in your life.

October 1, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  8. Kris W

Wow...there are a lot of comments here. The fact that I am commenting speaks to how offended I was by this article. As a "spiritual, but not religious" person, it is the judgement contained in this article that will guarantee that I am never religious again. You see, I have never been able to rectify the fact that the bible I learned from as a child spoke often of not judging others and yet every organized religion I have tried ends up judging someone somewhere and never bothers to look back at itself. This is not the type of lesson I will ever allow my children to be taught. As such, we've found ourselves left with "spiritual, but not religious". Interestingly enough, I've found that my beliefs align well with many of our Founding Fathers...not so "new" after all. Maybe more of us are becoming enlightened....or perhaps just plain exhausted by all of the judgement of others. Thou shall not judge is still a belief of organized religion, right?

September 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  9. snowboarder

we attended a hand fasting ceremony for friends becoming married this weekend. if only more people gave rational thought to their marriages.

September 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Runtime Al

This article says nothing except that you're wrong unless your a Christian. Or maybe one of the other main religions, but if your not with one of the big three or four, then your useless. I'm surprised he never used the term "new age" anywhere in the article, because that's obviously what he's talking about. To sum up his message, don't think for yourself, just accept what you're told. To which I would reply, we're no longer buying the baloney you're selling.

September 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Dippy

It's "you're", not "your", three places. But to your credit, you got one right.

September 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  11. alasmindmenow

This article..this article is Alan Miller's outlook on "spirituality". After reading the article and then the comments posted by the general public, Miller's whole goal was to upset anyone who does not commit to an orthodox religion. Even as I sat and read his article, being a person who has attempted both sides of the religious "fence" I felt as if Miller did not represent both sides equally. Belief is power. Reason is power. These are two different ways to perceive an ever changing world and act out in a universe where control is not something that any single human can truly obtain. What happened to orthodox Roman gods? Even the Greeks had gods that were worshipped at one point in time. These beliefs in higher powers change, evolve and even stand. The only thing that one man can do for another through faith is show them the way-not put them down.

September 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  12. Chris H

FAIL ARTICLE AND FAIL OPINION. People simply mean they believe they have an eternal spirit but they dont believe in the hooey at churches or in Jesus or Muhammed. Simple, but i guess thats to much for the author to comprehend.

September 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  13. Insert Truth Here

CNN informs me "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!" And yet both comments that I have attempted to post are not showing up. Is live discussion really your policy CNN? Please let me know what was deemed inappropriate about my posts seeing as I feel my comments were less judgmental than the original article.

September 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Insert,

Check over your post for any of these:

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, sopho-more, etc.
      ho-oters…as in sho-oters
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-oon… as in sp-oon, lamp-oon, harp-oon
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sm-ut…..as in transm-utation
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, t-itle, ent-ity, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, salt-water, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

October 1, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  14. Brandon

Definitely a tool. The author believes one cannot define one's own beliefs? Must I proscribe to a system of beliefs made up by another for it to be legitimate? Very small mind indeed.

September 30, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • pale

I think what he is saying is that designing your own God and worshiping it is contrary to the truth of who God is, and in the end, idolatry. God is who He is, and not who you want Him to be. People want to worship a God that tells them that they're okay the way they are and that they are free to do whatever they want. In other words, they don't want to be held accountable or take responsibility for their actions.

September 30, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  15. Rob

To infer that the concept of right and wrong and morality can only be gained and exercised through religion is ridiculous. Morality existed long before religion and it will exist long after.

To think that one has to choose this or nothing (science/rationalist) in regards to “faith” is absurd. If one wants instead to say “I do not know” so here I sit on the fence of “spiritual but not religious” how is that somehow wrong?

Why would anyone encourage someone else to “take a stand” when they do not know what they would be standing for. It is akin to forcing someone to decide who they will marry at the age of 12 prematurely because there is no point in waiting to figure it out in the future when you can just “act” and make your mind up now even if you are not ready or perhaps never will be.

To infer that one must be religious in order to understand and appreciate western history and culture is arrogant and crass. One can understand religion and even be an expert theologian without being a devote follower of a religion; the author is sadly mistaken in his attempt make these “interwoven”.

The author believes in order to have positive exposition, understanding or explanation of a body of belief or set of principles of any kind one must first either fully embrace or reject religion and this is a great fallacy.

I completely disagree with the author and am offended by his intolerant and obtuse line of thought. The ultimatum of “make a choice” or “take it or leave it” is black and white and has no place in the realm of faith, which at the end of the day is what you believe in and is your truth, and it does not have to be anyone else’s, or exist in the social brainwashing and doctrine of “organized religion”. Therefore, shame on him for trying to coerce others to action toward an unknown target with nothing but conceptual fallacious blathering for support.

September 30, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Abdullo

Are you moral? Yes!! Really? How many times a day do you cheat your wife in your mind?

September 30, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Liz

Well put.

September 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Wellsaid

I swear to ______ I can write better, more well researched and more thoughtful articles about religion and spirituality than this guy. Please hire me! Unless of course the point was to cause drama and a riot rather than a thoughtful debate. Which is, of course the media's intention most of the time.

September 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
  17. Gloria Dyer

I must admit this sparked a lively conversation! I spent much of my life religious, but now at 65 I feel far more spiritual. I have studied many different religions over the years and I've enjoyed comparisons. No matter what you want to call yourself your beliefs are ultimately your own. Organized religions love to have rules to define themselves, but in the end your beliefs are your own. I think saying you are Spiritual is a more honest statement. Being Spiritual is less intellectual and more just a feeling of being connected to a higher power. This Mr Miller is out of his league and he has no clue what being spiritual means he's just making assumptions. His idea is to ridicule the spiritual people to join orgainzed religion to increase their power. Organize religion frequently abuses their position. They like to dictate lifestyles, ( no dancing or drinking of beverages with alcohol or caffine, no use of birth control, wear your hair long or wear only skirts, etc) I know I've been hurt emotionally by organized religion. I haven't changed my love for God, but I don't feel the need to participate with organized religion, and that is my right!

September 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • pale

The only question is, do you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? It's possible to be "spiritual" without being saved.

September 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  18. Andrew Thorn

I am religious and spiritual, and I have no problem with people who are spiritual but not religious. What seems interesting to me is how worried people are about religion. Whether we are spiritual, religious, both or none, we need discipline in our life. Spirituality and Religiosity are both governed by principles and the only way to grow is by being obedient to those principles. I think the author is making that point. It may not be enough to simply say, "I am spiritual." for if we are, we must demonstrate it by our actions. You can choose the principles that you want to follow. I choose to believe in and follow a Savior who taught two such principles. Love God, and Love your neighbor – what a world it would be if we all just focused on those two things.

September 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  19. Stacey Doss

I could not disagree with your point of view more.

September 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
  20. Aaron A Reno

This article is 180 degrees from my understandings as detailed at the site/link above.

September 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm |