home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: My Take • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. starkey

Spiritual = God worship Religious = Scripture worship

Do not religious people pick and choose scripture that applies to their ideas and beliefs?

If all you were taught about God is wrong, wouldn't you want to know what is right? Sometimes you have to face the facts that what has been taught might be wrong. I mean we don't have people that seriously think the world is flat still do we?

October 1, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • Robert Brown

Hebrews 4:12
      For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

October 1, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

robert, you do know those words were written by humans to control humans, then edited by more humans to make money, control more humans and to convert other humans to christanity right?

October 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • starkey

And?? I believe you prove my point here. I have read this many times before. I know scripture too. But, you miss the point. You can't quote from a book to a person that does not believe the book. That would be like me making quotes from Moby Dick to prove my point. If the Bible is the word of God, then at best it is inspired by God and written by men. And according to the Bible, there was only one perfect man. In fact, if you read, this perfect man was also against religion.

October 1, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • religion; a way to control the weak minded

"If the Bible is the word of God, then at best it is inspired by God and written by men."

According to who? The people who wrote the book.

October 1, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • starkey

"According to who? The people who wrote the book."

You notice I did say IF? lol that's sort of the point I was trying to make. And I was making it to the people that believe this way. I was raised to believe this, and I myself believed it for many years, but I always had questions, and I was taught not to question God outside of scripture. I understand now that this is wrong.

October 1, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Matt

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
      and its people are like grasshoppers.
      He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
      and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
      Isaiah 40:22

October 1, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • I Don't Get It

Matt,

What is your point?

October 1, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  2. History Bear

Organized religion is about control. Mankind was driven to learn to read long before christianity and it's fellow belief systems. All religions in the last 2000 years, with the possible exception of buddahism, have been about control and demanding you live your life by a set of principals concocted out of thin air under the guise of getting to a better place. If you don't feel it, honestly believe it, and live by it then it's not real. If you do, then call it what you will it is spiritual by any name.

October 1, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Barbara Lee Henson

Belief is an emotional response, not based on logic but on feeling...like love, you either feel it or you don't. Prior to Christianity they worshiped the Greek gods which stimulated great art, astounding science, deep philosophy, great literature. The Dark Ages were a result of suppression not the sharing of knowledge. Burn the books,declared the Church. Burn the heretics.

October 1, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • The Truth

All organizations are about control. Control is good, control is needed, without control there are no rules and everyone for themselves. Without control there will be no science, society or anything else you need to survive in a community. Oh and community, there is no community without control. Even animals have organization and control in their own environments. Its the type and level of control that determines if it is good or not.

To make a blanket statement that all religion is about control is like saying all fats are bad for you. Just like religions there are fats that are good for you and fats to stay clear from and even fats that can be done in moderation.

October 1, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  3. BDH21

I just .... THIS merits "front page" news?!?

October 1, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  4. Brad

Im one of these spiritual people, and when I say that, I dont mean I believe in God, only that I dont know anything so I claim to never know I do. My beliefs border more on philosophical than religious, and while the two can obviously coincide, the difference is that I would never write an op-ed piece calling those who wont handle snakes "fence sitters."

October 1, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  5. jeff

Good article. I often wondered about people who say they're spiritual but not religious. I just don't get it. I think they don't like the religious options, but then what is spirituality really?

October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • JDodson

Religion is about embracing the answer. Spirituality is about embracing the question. They are not in conflict with each other. This is the same argument with Creationism vs. Evolution. Creationism embraces the answer. Evolution embraces the question. These things are not in conflict with each other.

October 1, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Sarah

If you don't even understand what spirituality IS, how can you claim to have the authority to say that the way you practice religion is superior?

October 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  6. Carwell

The author sems to miss the point. Spiritual is about understanding, or trying to. Religion is about reward.

October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  7. mk

"I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out"

Got that wrong there, Al. Being religious and blindly following what a priest or book tells you is a cop-out and should only be happening if you are unable to think for yourself.

"Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religion is doing what you're told regardless of what is right."

October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • shmndrk

! points !
      so well said!
      so yes!
      amen.

October 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
  8. Runtime Al

As Peter Gabriel once sang, "The sheep remain inside their pen, though many times they've seen the way to leave"

October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  9. Jon

My take: "I'm going to believe what my religious leaders tell me just so I don't have to think" is a cop-out.

October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  10. zach

What's so wrong with picking and choosing certain ideas from multiple different backgrounds and sources to create a set of principles and doctrines that works for you individually or your small community of spiritual colleagues? It's exactly what Christianity did when it absorbed a large part of the previously Zoroastrian population in the Byzantine regions. There is no "pure" set of doctrines anymore, people have always picked and chosen. The Catholic church has slowly handed down orders that have changed their canon over the years, to meet their own needs. They also picked and chose a small subset of the texts about Jesus to make into their canonical Bible, rejecting a great deal of other scripture. So this rant is completely ridiculous. Get over it.

October 1, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • mark

The only way I'll "Get over it' is when all of you idiots that continue to perpetuate a lie that's thousands of years old, just stop doing it and join modern society. You people make me physically ill.

October 1, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • zach

I'm not religious, and you couldn't have missed the point of my comment more.

October 1, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  11. SimplyMe

I totally agree with you mk045. This is just another attempt at making people feel quilty because they refuse to believe in someone else's belief. I don't criticize no one belief system out of respect. This is why I rather not belong to any organization because that's all they do is criticize one organization so they can uplift theirs. I am happy in my relationship with God. I also believe that he is happy with the way I'm living my life. I'm living life the way I have intrepret it to be. I refuse to live it the way someone else thinks I should live it according to their interpretation.

October 1, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  12. Stephen

Morality is, in fact, relative, despite what any particular brand of "religion" one subscribes to may have to say about it. Because morality is relative, adhering to one particular religion, or no religion at all, doesn't make one any more or less "right", or "moral", than an adherant to any other. Additionally, science has nothing to say about the existence, or lack thereof, of a "god". As such, belief in God and belief in science need not be mutually exclusive.

Sorry, Mr. Miller, your non-denominational evangelizing misses the religious v. spiritual point entirely.

October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  13. Steve

I have been a Roman Catholic my entire life. I attend Mass most Sundays. I use my religion as a vehicle to find spiritual enlightenment. The rules and customs of any good religion should be there to help their members to find or increase their spirituality. Increasing your daily contact with a loving God is what it is all about, regardless of which religion you choose. I follow the teaching so Jesus, not the Pope. Maybe that makes me a "cafeteria Catholic" – I don't care, it works for me. I think it would be more difficult to find spirituality without an organization or group to assist. But the one thing that Jesus preached the most against is moral arogance. If someone says they can find spriituality without religion, according to the teachings of Jesus, we should support them. Jesus was a devoted Jew but never said you had to follow a religion. He said to love your enemies. Not just like them but love them. That's real hard. I can't imagine someone reaching that level of spirituality without some help. But if they can, more power to them. Jesus also said that the only way to heaven is thought him, and that he is God, and that God is love. So that means that the only way to heaven is through Love. Whatever gets to love more is what you need to get to. And if heaven is just a better state of living this life, then what's wrong with that? Love one another, forgive, be happy today, this life can be your heaven.

October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Mary

Right. Jesus said the Kingdom of God is within you. He didn't say it was within a building or a book.

October 1, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  14. BillDee

To the brainwashed, conditioned idiot that penned this article....
    ...exactly a danger to who/whom? ... Brainwashed idiots?

October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  15. LynneSki

I consider myself as spiritual but not religious. My experience with organized religion included misogynistic beliefs that women are somehow less connected to God therefor they cannot be priests/ministers, money is a major factor – give to my favorite sister church and if you don't give enough you are bad bad bad people!!!, pay the church and we will pray for you, and my personal favorite – no matter what we do women are just in general bad because of Eve and the original sin, so therefor men have the right to determine what women should/can do.

I don't think I'm better than someone that goes to church regularly. If they found something that works for them, good for them. I wont say I will never go to church, because I don't know what will happen. So far I haven't found one that is a good spiritual/faith based fit for me.

October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  16. alywa

What a truly, utterly, entirely worthless article. Seriously, CNN... there is nothing but "nah nah nah you don't believe in the same things I do but still claim to believe in God" here. But, hey, you got clicks and pageviews, so that's all that matters, right?

October 1, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  17. Peter

One of the many things that the spiritual-but-not-religious are trying to escape, is the black and white view of the world that the religious-but-not-spiritual people like the author use.

October 1, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  18. mike2lane

This author is at best uninformed. If you happen to read this before reading this article, save yourself 5 minutes of uneducated drivel and watch a Honey Boo Boo clip instead.

October 1, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  19. eymardcm

Religion is a sham and has nothing to do with God, which is everything in the universe in its purest form. In reality, religion pushes more people away from God than closer. I'll go as far as saying religion is the anti-Christ.

October 1, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • froodley

It's more that everyone is a little christ and a little antichrist, a little hero and a little mistaken villainous fool. Hey, if that's the antichrist, what's the second coming... well, they wrote down everything the guy said, so it's like he's been here the whole time, right?

October 1, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  20. SBeebop

CNN, when are those reality tv shows happening? Wil lyou have cream pi fights and women in bikinis reporting the news? This is GARBAGE

October 1, 2012 at 10:51 am |