home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: My Take • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. Kev

Why would we need 'normal religions' to answer the hard questions as Alan Miller claims? Established religions can't even answer the easiest questions, like: How old is the Earth, How did Noah get all those animals on that boat? Etc, etc. What a horrible article written by a small mind.

September 30, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  2. Dyslexic doG

enjoy it while it lasts Christians. Another 10 or 20 generations and the human race will look on your God and Jesus the same way as we look on Zeus and Thor and Ra (and santa claus and the tooth fairy) today. What a giggle!

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  3. Allen

I agree with the substance of the article, but not the tone. I am a hospital chaplain( not ordained by any religion) and there are problems with an open spirituality when the chips are down. There is no way to handle illness or death. No grieving rituals or prayers to pull people together. This is what makes a spirituality with sacrifice so important. BUT, I have found most "spiritual but not religious" people open to me and curious about who I am and willing to engage with me about religion.

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  4. Dyslexic doG

The bible is like a "Nigerian Email" from the bronze-age.

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
    • Allen

Oh my gosh! You're so brilliant! How I do envy your snarky atheism! I only wish I could be so flippant!

September 30, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Richard Marks

Perfect! The subject is really not worth anything more than flippancy.

September 30, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  5. I can prove evolution

I guess Buddha was just wasting his time according to this guy. Organized religion hinders imagination and strives to keep their sheep in line and following the rules. Who's rules? Man's rules !!

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  6. redlace

You've really identified a problem here, but it's not what you think it is. The question is not "why are they going to non-tradition spiritualism?", but rather, the question is "why are they dedicated to staying spiritual at all?" It would seem obvious that the movement away from organized religions is a function of the realization that the organized religions do not hold the truth that so many people desperately seek. As to why they are pursuing alternative forms of spirituality, it is likely because of societal pressure to conform to some sort of spirituality, as society is much more accepting of any type of spirituality – especially if the alternative is no spirituality. The truth is, faith and spirituality have no place in rational society, though you'll never be able to convince faithers of that. To paraphrase: Humanity needs faith like a fish needs a bicycle. But it's not a matter of need when it comes to faith, it's a matter of want. And we all know how "want" works – wish in one hand, poop in the other, and see which fills up faster.

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  7. sncherry

sad that this pitiful, poorly written and absurd article made it past the first of CNN's editors, much less to publication.

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  8. elephantix

"Moreover, the spiritual but not religious reflect the "me" generation of self-obsessed, truth-is-whatever-you-feel-it-to-be thinking.... Yet the spiritual-but-not-religious outlook sees the human as one that simply wants to experience "nice things" and "feel better." There is little of transformation here and nothing that points to any kind of project that can inspire or transform us."

That is the problem with moral relativism.

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  9. Anonymoose

I think CNN really needs to pick these editorials a bit better. The comment section is more profound than this Christian pushing zealot. I find it comical that since I don't submit to a particular religion I cannot determine right from wrong? I'm 30 yo with an awesome wife, 3 to daughter and one on the way and religion plays no role in our lives. I will teach my kids the vales of honor and virtue, right and wrong. Any "sane" person can do this without a bible. I refuse I submit to religion based on many facs but my recent favorite is one that proposes the logic that evil televangelist who spread hatred and fear have a place in heaven yet gays who can be the nicest folk in the world haven't... Whatever...Praise Xenu!

September 30, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  10. tomnikoly

This guy's out to lunch.

'The trouble is that “spiritual but not religious” offers no positive exposition or understanding or explanation of a body of belief or set of principles of any kind."

Is this a cleverly disguised "no moral compass" argument? Nonsense. The concept of good and evil is intrinsic to human kind. I't needn't be taught and/or learned by belief in a formal religion.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  11. Dragonfly

I was shocked to see the headlines of this article on the front page. This is one persons opinion and yet it made the front page. As a spiritual person I have dove into self discovery and did a lot of soul searching. I am far happier than when I was going to church. I find many religious people are some of the most hateful people and I steer clear of them. I much prefer being around spiritual loving people.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Billy

"Shocking"?? It is easy for you to accept and have a field day with the constant criticism that organized religions get, yet when the tables are turned you are "shocked"? Don't dish it out if you aren't able to take it yourself.

September 30, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • Satyam Sinha

Well said. I agree with you. Thanks.

September 30, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Satyam Sinha

My thanks are to Dragonfly, just want to be clear.

September 30, 2012 at 8:57 am |
  12. Jim

The picture of the half naked hippy who is "meditating" at the beach is an unfair representation of agnostics/refusers of organized religions. Most people have a problem with all of the religions, but theirs. What is so unbelievable that people should just have a problem with all religions?

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • mm

Well said. The author mentions that more spiritual persons, rather than religious, are "peddling" their alternative method of faith. Looks to me that the author is "peddling" an 'us vs. them' type of religion that is about as far away from spirituality as somebody could get.

September 30, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  13. Dan Green

Thia article takes the stance that it is a "cop out" to not follow a traditional, established religion, but he's leaving out the concept of "common sense". A lot of people reject traditional faiths because while the basic tenants of love, acceptance, charity, etc are sound, the "rules" for compliance, and the stories of ancient civilizations and miracles are silly, and people know it. It's clear to many that organized religion is solely an invention of mankind. I'm never going to believe the majority of silly fairy tales in the Bible, or believe in Hell, or that Jesus was born from a virgin, or that Moses parted the Red Sea, and so on. My brain just rejects those things. However, I don't reject the possibility of a higher being of some kind, but I just don't know what this being is like, so why is it a copout to say that I believe there's something responsible for the making of our universe, and I am grateful for my life and want to try and help people, but I don't believe in organized religion. I don't mean to belittle people that have these beliefs, but I just can't believe in these stories myself.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • TonyB

Dan, you reject the ideas of the Christian religion, but still believe in a higher being? Why? If there is a higher being, why is it impossible to believe He may have done miracles? Have you actually read the New Testament? They are eyewitness accounts of the words and deeds of Jesus. Dozens of people who followed him were compelled to write down his story for a reason, are every single one of them fabricating his works? Perhaps you find the message of Jesus incovenient.

September 30, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  14. Douglas

From the intro... "spiritual but not religious is a cop-out and avoids dealing with important questions". Please. The whole "God did it and that's all the explantation I need" bit is really the ultimate cop-out and avoidance of questions.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • TonyB

That is a fallacy that is perpetuated by those who don't like organized religion. If you actually study the religion you would find that most religions explore the reasoning behind why God may have done the things he has done. Only few religions do not invite questions, as asking questions is central to finding truth. No religion should be afraid of truth, because God himself is truth and truth cannot contradict itself.

September 30, 2012 at 9:10 am |
  15. Matt 2

This article IS dumb. As humanity progresses forward we are slowly accepting the fact that there is no such thing as god.

I'm sorry, It's the truth, deal with it.

The Spiritual-but-not-Religious "movement" is a stepping stone to accepting this reality. The faults of organized religion (corruption, child abuse, bigotry, terrorism, whatever..) are simply accelerating this process of acceptance. People are simply still uncomfortable saying that they do not believe in god, because if there is no god then all of our grandmothers are WRONG.

Eventually (in a century or two), humanity will view the notion of God like we view the previously held belief that the world was flat. It will be thought of as a humorous consequence to our ignorance. And this article will sound even stupider.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • Douglas

@Matt... there seem to be three reasons people embrace religion. They were either brainwashed by religious parents, want to be part of The Establishment so bad they can taste it, or are fundamentally simple-minded. You can't fix this stuff.

September 30, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Satyam

@Matt2. You have said it so well. And liked the little humor you have added in your writing. Thanks.

September 30, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • TonyB

How arrogant you are! You think something that has been around for thousands of years is going to go away in just a few hundred? Humans are hard-wired by nature to believe that there is something larger than themselves. Religion in some form will always exist, and the message of religion gives people hope. Have you even read the eyewitness accounts of the works of Jesus? Have you contemplated the message he proclaimed? Or do you just reject it because it contradicts with your own personal behaviors?

September 30, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  16. sorryIreadthis

I don't think Jesus would write such a negative, scathing letter to his children. I believe Al should spend some more time reading the good book and leave the judging to his God.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  17. DAJ

Obviously the author has no idea what Spirtual But Not Religious is about. It has nothing to do with being a "me", "self-obsessed" generation that doesn't want to follow "rules or doctrines." And it surely has nothing to do with yoga, Zen, and other spiritual-based practices, although they are options for people to explore. The bottom line is that people want a deeper relationship with God, and religion, too often, gets in the way of finding that relationship. From criminal activities, to churches involvement in politics, to mangling/misunderstanding/wrongly-interpreting the scripture, churches have too many agendas that have nothing to do with God and are sending people on the wrong path.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  18. Poclevious

Fail !!! This guy totally fails to make his point.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  19. Patrick

Churches are good business. How can a church harbor millions of tax free dollars while people go hungry and die of starvation? Seems to me that any church that harbors money while people suffer is a church that is nothing to do with God. But it is good business.. : )

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  20. Mark Indiana

If you have witnessed "magic" you are a religious person. I have not seen "magic". I was raised Christian and I do beieve there is something out there, but consider myself spiritual. The poor GOP loose many of it's old sheep every day. Younger people are more free thinking and breaking away from the concept of magic and leaning more towards science.

September 30, 2012 at 8:45 am |