home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. proficy27

Who in the world WANTS to be a sheep? Sheep are so uniform and un-creative that no one thought to make a different word for plural and singular instances. Same for fish, who also are rarely found alone. Same IQ though. As someone said in the previous 8K comments, that analogy, like religion was created for control. If I want to believe in God but not the man-made practice it preaches, than that's my call. And its one not to be questioned by someone so afraid to think for themselves they willfully follow someone else's interpretation of the faith. I'll gladly burn in "Hell" than be someone else's sheep, which like other pasture animals are just someone else's livestock. Thanks, but no thank.

October 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • stillthinking

sheeps are called sheeple

October 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
  2. Spiritual Person

I think being religious can be differentiated from being spiritual. Most people who are religions believe in God being the creator of this universe. Many people of eastern faiths consider themselves to be spiritual because believe in an eternal Soul of every individual instead of a Creator. A Creator creates materialistic things. Materialistic things are only temporary. And when we have so much attachment's towards the creation of the Creator, our egoism and suffering rises when that creation is gone. Thats why when I think of Spirituality, I think of my "Eternal Soul and Eternal Existence", but no God/Creator.

October 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Eternal Soul

I think the eternal soul is a product of wishful thinking. It is not a valid belief. It is actualy a wish or a hope.

October 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  3. Willyboy

This silly article is the purest of mindless nonsense. The only danger in rejecting organized religion is to organized religions themselves – they are losing money and drones. Good. Organized religions – specifically the twisted and perverted dogma woven around them – have caused far more harm through the years than they have done good. Let them go the way of the dinosaurs and the sooner the better...

October 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  4. Lillian Daniel

You may like my new book on this topic:

WHEN "SPIRITUAL BUT NOT RELIGIOUS" IS NOT ENOUGH: Finding God in Unexpected Places, Even the Church

October 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • ME II

Don't mean to be a bore, but what about the "not spiritual and not religious', that's the person I want next to me.

October 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@MEII,

there is of course this alternative:

My Take: 'I'm religious but not spiritual' is commonplace'

October 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  5. smithbelynda

I would like to know why it has to be one or the other? Can I not believe in God without believing in Scripture? I do believe in God but I don't believe a word in the Bible. I believe in Jesus Christ, but I don't believe a word of what is preached in any of the fundamentalist churches. I believe that I can have Enlightenment through human-based knowledge, reason and action as well as believing in God and have morals and ethics at the same time. I am a grown adult woman that is capable of critical thinking. I know that science has explained a great deal of the phenomena occurring in the world around us, but in some cases it just can't. That's where I believe "God" or some other supernatural power comes in. Clearly there is room for both in this day and age.

October 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@smithbelynda,

how can you believe in Jesus without believing in the Gospels? There is no other source for the life of Jesus.

Allan Miller did not say you have to attend a fundamentalist church. Choosing Christianity is not the same as being "spiritual but not religious".

October 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Madtown

Can I not believe in God without believing in Scripture?
      ----
      Sure you can! And, don't let any of them tell you that you will burn for eternity either.

October 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Madtown,

@smithbelynda said she believed in Jesus Christ – not just God. Making that distinction makes at least the Gospels necessary in her theology, wouldn't you say?

October 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • OOO

GOPer,
      You are correct.
      In addition, she is a classic "God of the gaps" believer. Everything that doesn't today have an answer, it becomes god. Neverming that history is littered with god certainties that suddenly became metaphors once science was capable of giving a better answer. And never mind that it has not once gone the other way – that something once described by science suddenly had a better supernatural explanation.

October 1, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • sarcasticbimbo

I can believe in Christ without believing in most of the crap in the Bible because I choose to. I choose to believe that Jesus wouldn't want most of things done in his name, done. I also believe that the Bible has been rewritten and so convoluted and twisted to suit the authors view-points and to benefit the authors themselves that there is almost no crediblity in it any longer. I can believe in Jesus because there are other Gospels out there that weren't included in the Bible because they didn't jibe with the beliefs of the people who commissioned its authorship in the first place. The Gospels included in the Bible are not the only Gospels out there.

October 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • sarcasticbimbo

@I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV and @OOO the post above and this post are my answers to you. I changed my screen name on my wordpress account.

October 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

@sarcastic

Ok, so just to make sure I understand you:

1) You believe the bare bones of Jesus (namely son of god, died for our sins).
      2) Where science does not currently provide explanations, you insert your concept of god.
      3) You disregard much of the bible due to the canonical history of it.

So one question I have is, do you subscribe to the "believe of you will go to hell" doctrine?

October 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@smithbelynda / sarcasticbimbo,

So you are a Christian then? You believe in God (Jesus) and scripture (some set of Gospels of your choosing).

Being a Christian is different to the label "spiritual but not religious" in the context of this article, even if you don't attend a particular church. In this context you are definitively religious.

October 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
  6. etcostello

I recommend you read this book: "Christ Returns-Reveals Startling Truth." It is obvious to many of us that churches have shifted from a God-focus to a self-protective 'organization-above-all-else' market-share strategy. Isn't it possible that we need to learn something new that was misunderstood 2,000 years ago? It is kind of like learning religious stories at 8 years old and refusing to upgrade one's view of life, God and Christ. Why is Christ missing in so much of the Christian haranguing of Obama, the poor, other beliefs, women, and peace?

October 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
  7. Best News

There is only one real GOD and His one true RELIGION

that is revealed in an absolutely Matchless, most Wonderful and Superb MATHEMATICAL LANGUAGE!

So it is time to be Spiritual, and yes, also rightfully Religious now!

UNIVERSAL MAGNIFICENT MIRACLES

October 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • sam stone

troll

October 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Best News

Jesus Water or Jesus Blood
      4oz. decorative gold bottles

50% OFF. (Through 10/31/2012.)

October 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
  8. Reader

I take no issue with your views and opinions, but your sentence structure and punctuation are dreadful. Your writing would benefit from a good editor.

October 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
  9. medlib333

Way to make broad generalizations about things you clearly don't understand. The "spiritual but not religious" people I know are kinder, more generous, more aware of others, and more likely to have read and thought deeply about religion and the meaning of God and life than most of the traditionally religious people I have known.

October 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  10. Brian

Religion was thought up to keep the sheep in line. I think it provides a basis for morality and law. Personally, myself and many I know are not religeous and are good without if. And by good, I mean law abiding, hard working, eager to achieve and ambitious to succeed. How dare you put yourself in a position to say my spiritually is somehow beneath you.

October 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • TparTpatriot

We are all sheep and Jesus is our Shepherd. You are simply a lost sheep who has strayed from the flock and you have forgotten about your Shepherd. The wolves seem to have gotten a hold of you but if you simply call out your Shepherd's name He will be able to find you again and rescue you from the secular wolves that are tearing your soul apart. Call out Jesus' name, repent and return to your flock and you will have green pastures for all eternity, Amen!

October 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Just lacking, lackey.

October 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Brian

@TparTpatriot
      Yea... thats gonna pay some bills...
      In writing that... how do you know I don't pray to Jesus every hour of every day? Did I somehow clue you in that I didn't? no, I didn't... I do pray to Jesus and do believe in the name. Ignorance like yours in the reason people are scared of religion. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between beleiving and following a cult!!!

October 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • ME II

"You are simply a lost sheep who has strayed from the flock and you have forgotten about your Shepherd."

And who's fault would that be? Since when are the sheep responsible for getting lost?

October 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • OTOH

TparTpatriot,

A shepherd keeps sheep for 2 reasons:

1. Profit from their wool, skins and meat
      2. Dinner

If he protects them or goes after a stray one, that is why. Whoever thought up that "good shepherd" analogy was pretty silly.

October 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • OTOH

p.s. but I suppose the "good cowboy" or the "good chicken farmer" would have been even sillier.

October 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The sheep analogy is an odd one indeed for a belief system supposedly based on 'free will'.

The behavior of sheep exhibits anything but free will. They have a herd 'do what the others do' mentality. Strays are so through incompetence in staying with the herd.

It gets used in so many Christian metaphors including ideas like the separation of sheep from goats – where being the sheep is, again, desirable. Again ironic, given that the sheep appear to be less intelligent than goats.

October 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

'1Cr 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:'

October 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • mike w

You're right, Brian. And look, someone is actually citing bible passages?? lol. You may as well believe in Peter Pan if you give any credibility to Paul.

October 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  11. Spirited

Apparently, I have had an experience you have not. I have no reason to convince you of anything. If you find it, I am happy for you. If not, well ... OK.

In the Field of Dreams, the brother-in-law says at the end of the movie "Where did all these ball players come from?" or something of the sort. I have seen and talked to MANY about their vital spiritual experiences, and they tend to be of the Field of Dreams variety. Once you have something happen to you that is impossible in your reality (whether of the burning bush variety, or more of a gradual experience), then your eyes are opened to the possibility of God. Once you start accepting that you may not have all the answers, all of a sudden you start seeing all kinds of things you never saw before.

I wish you well, my friend.

October 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Kate

I wish you a better drug trip next time. Smoke a bit less, perhaps.

October 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • VeryMuchSnow

A fictional movie makes a great spiritual experience reference.

/s

October 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  12. Reality

Putting the kibosh/”google”/"bing"/ "yahoo" on religion and spirituality:

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

(simply more immaculately concieved mumbo jumbo akin to the Caears and messiahs of all kinds)

October 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Tell us how Athena was born and how this relates to the popularity of Greek s e x on campus.

October 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Reality

Greek s-ex?? Please define. In the meantime some important information on the subject of s-ex and related items;

The reality of se-x, contraception and STD/HIV control: – from a guy who enjoys intelligent se-x-
      Note: Some words hyphenated to defeat an obvious word filter. ...

The Brutal Effects of Stupidity:

: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill (8.7% actual failure rate) and male con-dom (17.4% actual failure rate) have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or co-ndoms properly and/or use safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.- Failure rate statistics provided by the Gut-tmacher Inst-itute. Unfortunately they do not give the statistics for doubling up i.e. using a combination of the Pill and a condom.

Added information before making your next move:

from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (STDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psy-ch-ological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with STDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from:

Consumer Reports, January, 2012

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens (and all se-xually active "post-teeners": Or-al se-x carries many of the same risks as va-ginal se-x, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of or-al cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'" (It should be called the Bill Clinton Syndrome !!)

Obviously, political leaders in both parties, Planned Parenthood, parents, the "stupid part of the USA" and the educational system have failed miserably on many fronts.

The most effective forms of contraception, ranked by "Perfect use":

- (Abstinence, 0% failure rate)
      - (Masturbation, mono or mutual, 0% failure rate)

One-month injectable and Implant (both at 0.05 percent)
      Vasectomy and IUD (Mirena) (both at 0.1 percent)
      The Pill, Three-month injectable, and the Patch (all at 0.3 percent)
      Tubal sterilization (at 0.5 percent)
      IUD (Copper-T) (0.6 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Post-ovulation) (1.0 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Symptothermal) and Male condom (both at 2.0 percent)
      Periodic abstinence (Ovulation method) (3.0 percent)

Every other method ranks below these, including Withdrawal (4.0), Female condom (5.0), Diaphragm (6.0), Periodic abstinence (calendar) (9.0), the Sponge (9.0-20.0, depending on whether the woman using it has had a child in the past), Cervical cap (9.0-26.0, with the same caveat as the Sponge), and Spermicides (18.0).

October 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Huebert

@Reality

By Greek s.ex I think he means an.al

October 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

And here was me thinking it was one consequence of a frat house kegger.

October 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
  13. dionysusBeer

"The idea of sin has always been accompanied by the sense of what one could do to improve oneself and impact the world."

Okay. You're a hospital worker. Does it make you a better person to not work on Sundays? What if there is an emergency and you get called in? Surely working in a hospital is more work than picking up sticks so it's a sin. Furthermore, there isn't an exception to this rule in the Bible. Sin isn't always a way to make yourself better, sometimes it is, sometimes it's just an arbitrary rule.

October 1, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

Mark 3 (New International Version)
      Page Options
      Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

Show resources
      Add parallel
      Mark 3

New International Version (NIV)
      Jesus Heals on the Sabbath

3 Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. 2 Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. 3 Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”

4 Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent.

5 He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. 6 Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.

October 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Taz

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying. And I don't mean to speak for the author, but I think when he talks about sin being accompanied by a sense of self-improvement, he's suggesting people avoid "sin" to improve their own lives or the lives of those around them. Think about a couple we can agree on, theft and murder. By not doing those things, we make the world a better place. Does that make more sense?

October 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • Your Kidding

@Bill Deacon
      Do you actually believe that passage and healing really happened? I kind of figured that is where the likes of Benny Hinn got their idea for a scam.

October 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  14. We are one

What if I believe in all of them? how does the afterlife work for me mr. religious man?

October 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  15. ah

What a ridiculous article. Poorly written from the know-it-all perspective of someone who clearly can't translate his thoughts about a movement into prose, much less comprehend the real reasons many are choosing to abandon organized religion.

To the author: you sound as uneducated about the topic as you are biased against the "selfish me generation." You've clearly chosen the blue pill and are bitter that your successors aren't following suit.

October 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Carioca

Well said, and nice Matrix reference!

October 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • ah

Thanks Carioca.

I'm all for people believing what they want to believe, but, among other reasons, it's exactly this kind of judgemental bile that causes people to reject organized religion. This author is accusing a huge subset of the world's population of being self-centered and lazy while failing to see the hypocrisy in his own logic.

As others have said, there isn't a shred of laziness in considering oneself "spiritual, not religious." Holy texts have already narrowed the range of possibilities of a belief system, to borrow the statistical terminology, from the population to the sample. Anyone who is "spiritual, not religious" has a much broader (and updated) body of knowledge from which to choose their belief system. Assuming conclusions are even the objective, which requires more effort to draw conclusions from?

October 1, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  16. dionysusBeer

So, trying to seek and worship God (or gods) through your own means is a copout yet simply accepting a prepackaged version of God (or gods) that religion provides is somehow profound? Right, and I guess spam is better than a homemade ham. Listen, I know there's a market for spam and I won't knock you for liking it but don't sit here and tell me that following a mass produced, cookie cutter version of God is automatically better. You can have your spam, others would rather have homemade ham.

October 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  17. Carioca

Someone should point out to the author that is Jesus Christ's time there was no Roman Catholic church, nor any other Christian church (being that they came about later based on his teachings). So under the article's definition one could argue Jesus was also spiritual, but not 'religious', as he was not a member of any established church of the time.

Going one step further, Christian churchs came about because Jesus Christ brought new ideas and challenged the then establishment. Human evolution as a whole has been based on that concept: Questioning, new ideas and growing. So we should stop now? Have we arrived at where we were supposed to? Don't think so....

October 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • lightning

Your ignorance is frightning. Jesus was Jewish and active in that faith. If you comment on the Bible or the Christian faith, please research it better.

October 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Taz

Please don't take this as an attack. That's certainly not my intention at all. Jesus was part of an organized religion. He was a Jew. He was Jewish. The bible is pretty clear about his genealogy. And he was a bit of a revolutionary, but he was the fulfillment of the law that they had been studying. His coming was foretold by their own prophets. And his point to them was really, "listen, all these rules? No one can do this. Even you religious leaders can't do it. Someone is going to have to pay for all of your sins. But it has to be someone perfect. Someone at the same level as God himself." That was Jesus. He wasn't condemning anyone because of their adherence to a bunch of laws. He was simply saying, "No one can live a life worthy of an eternity with God, so I'm going to sacrifice my own life for yours." That's the gospel.

October 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Carioca

Thanks Lightning. I stand corrected on that point (my zeal to respond went ahead of my brain). I guess I was trying to point out that JC's teachings often flew in the face of the established doctrine of the time, to the extent he was executed for them by his peers and new Churchs grew up as a result.

I'm just perplexed by the author's argument that one can't question established religion or seek a new path, because we already have religions. Just doesn't sound logical to me. Just seemed to me that if one went back far enough, you could argue that you should forget Jesus' teachings and we should all be Jewish instead!

October 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Taz

In response to your response. . . Do you want to know the scary part? Jesus didn't contradict their doctrine. In fact he said the laws didn't go far enough. The laws only dealt with the outside; the stuff people could see. So the religious leaders did all this "holy" stuff out in front of everyone. Jesus dealt with their hearts. Basically saying, "You do all this stuff just so people can see you. Your pride is sinful. The hardness of your hearts is sinful. You're not doing ANY of this out of love or devotion to God. You're just doing it to make yourself look good." Jesus walked the earth. He has an idea of what it's like to be human. He knows how easy it is to fall into sin. Yes, they did execute him, but He came here to die. . . for you and me. . . because life is hard. None of us will ever get it right.

October 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
  18. Anybody know how to read?

Does the SBNR crowd play well with others the best so they will have 1st dibs in the caste system lottery?

October 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  19. Good News

Fall Special!

Water of Jesus or Blood of Jesus
    2oz. or 4oz. in decorative gold bottles
    50% OFF! (unti 10/31/2012)

October 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  20. Mikey

Love is really the only truth in life its the only thing that can't be taught everything else is a lie that someone else has fed you , at its core spirituality is based off of love, those who are spiritual including myself might believe in many different things and might not believe in other things, but the concept is still the same, the whole idea of being spiritual is based off love, the author says that those who call themselves spiritual are in denial and or seeking a cop out, but for in order to be in denial you have to be taught something , and if spirituality is based off love than how can you be in denial , when love in its purest form can't be taught.

October 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm |