home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. mcallistercode

Perhaps we are neo-Transendentalists. It sounds as if we ¨spiritual but not religious¨ folks are realizing what Emerson was point to when he said, ¨Make your own Bible. Select and collect all the words and sentences that in all your readings have been to you like the blast of a trumpet.¨
    Just because I am not religious does not mean that I do not fully appreciate my Christian tradition, nor the Judeo and Pagan traditions that preceded it, or the Buddhist, Taoist, and other studies. I appreciate and honor all of them. But I also understand that they are merely the art of a people. As Alan Watts put it, they are fingers pointing to the moon, but not the moon itself.
    I am not religious because I do not assume that my tradition, my religion, or my culture are the one right way. To do so seems arrogant, prideful, and stubborn.
    As a spiritual aspirant, I am drawn to the essence behind the scriptures and beyond the practices, but I do not feel inclined to mire myself in an addiction to either of them in my search for a higher truth than the habit of religion. I feel inclined to be more than an ego clinging to something to argue about and kill for. I would rather simply experience the mystery of God in my breath and see Her blossom in the world around me.

October 2, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • End Religion

Anyone who feels "spiritual" is mired in the same quicksand, you've simply shed the medieval version for a newer one. Why the need to ascribe any of it to a god or worship any part of it? Just enjoy the planet while being kind to it and other humans. There's no need to make anything more mystical out of it.

All religion is a fraud. If you suffer from a brand of this delusion, it is no less crazy than any other.

October 2, 2012 at 1:13 am |
  2. Len F.

After reading well over 100 posts here, I'm starting to think that maybe the 'spiritual-but-not-religious' have claimed the hallowed middle ground, the elusive balance.
    They have unshackled themselves from the blind adherence to religious doctrine.
    They have transcended atheism, which is really just the religion of the five senses.
    To the 'spiritual-but-not-religious,' I salute you all.

October 2, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Not me. It's feminism. The wives don't understand the feelings of futility of a man in this world. 'Course they wouldn't offer any help. That requires faith. The Beast is the solution.Sue the hubby.

October 2, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

You think I'm putting down women? What about Tim. '2Ti 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.' Very, very very, sorry I just love them!

October 2, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • End Religion

Leave it to the religious nutters to attempt to spread the word of their loving god by descending into hate. AnybodyRead, you are the worst kind of human.

October 2, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

End Religion, do the killers at SCOTUS agree? Too bad your type corrupted them. That's sum mighty big hate. OR just ol' fashioned greed?

October 2, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  3. Frank

Hebrew 10: 24,25 – And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near.

October 1, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
  4. Chad

QUESTION

For those folks that consider themselves "spiritual but not religious" (please note, this question does NOT apply to Christians that feel spiritual, but dont like Church insti tutions).

This question is for those folks that consider themselves "spiritual but not religious", but do not have a spirituality targetted at a the God of Abraham.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: do you consider yourself an atheist (do you either deny, or disbelieve in the existence of a deity)?

no tricks, just trying to get a sense of what you consider yourself.
    Thank you.

October 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • stupid

No, it's just obviously a bunch of dumb cavemen having separate revelations of the same god.

October 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Athy

Emphatically, yes!

October 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Chad

@Stupid, do you mean "no" as in "no, you do not consider yourself an atheist?"

October 2, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Chadwatch, a public service

This is a public service announcement from Chadwatch: Chadwatch is issuing a YELLOW ALERT. Yellow Alert indicates that The Chad is active on the blog and appears to be trolling around for a debate. Please be advised that The Chad will attempt to draw you into a never ending spiral of semantic arguments and quote mining that will ultimately come down to simply asserting "God did it with his magic."

October 2, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Athy

I promise I won't bite.

October 2, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  5. Ryan Rose

I don't think that it is a cop out. I choose not to associate my self with any particular religion because I believe that all religions for the most part are all praying to the same god (many different names for it.) I also don't feel that just one religion can define the way I see my higher power, humanity and the world around me. I know that there is something more out there whether it be a him called by one name, many of them, or just an energy source. I also don't believe that this quote is true among those who are spiritual, "The trouble is that “spiritual but not religious” offers no positive exposition or understanding or explanation of a body of belief or set of principles of any kind." In my opinion I see that each individual chooses their own set of principals (even among those in organized religions) and they work to in force them with in their self while also trying to learn and understand the human being that they are, want to be, and those around them. Everyday we see those who follow an organized religion adhere to some of the principals of their religion and blatantly disregard others. Its all about becoming a better version of yourself, knowing your self brings you closer to knowing and understanding your higher power.

October 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • The Hosted

How can they all be praying to the same god when the claims of what each of their gods is, wants, stands for, and demands are not only so widely varied, but often directly contradictory?

October 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • stupid

They're not! They're all exactly the same! And it's the same person, the creator of the universe!

October 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Athy

They're all praying to the same non-god!

October 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  6. clinky

I wonder if, after all, Alan Miller is jealous of the independent thought spiritual "indies" use that doesn't depend on received and regurgitated dogma. Indies think critically instead of passively following a book of rules.

October 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Run A Mok

Agreed. But nobody gets to collect any money from Indies.

October 2, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  7. Michael Oberlin

This argument has a few basic flaws in it. I'm going to highlight just one or two of them, and hopefully I'll see something better researched in the future.

"The trouble is that 'spiritual but not religious' offers no positive exposition or understanding or explanation of a body of belief or set of principles of any kind."

According to a quick trip to dictionary.com, spiritual is defined (in the least recursive manner I can find) as an adjective meaning "relating to the spirit or soul and not to physical nature or matter; intangible"; whereas religious is defined as "pertaining to or connected with a monastic or religious order". You can clearly be one, both, or the other; how claiming to be spiritual but refusing to throw everything in to one specific doctrine is a "cop-out" or implausible is beyond me. Copping out of what, precisely?

Additionally, you make the presumption that being spiritual yet denying a specific pressed religious order, clearly a decision to take responsibility for oneself, is an effort to avoid decision. You have stated no evidence for this! Please refrain from name-calling. You've called these people effectively naïve, "self-obsessed", and believers in the monstrously hyphenated "truth-is-whatever-you-feel-it-to-be" philosophy (which is a new one to me). You've also taken a crack at the scientific method, which, suddenly, seems to have something to do with religious belief.

You know what that makes this little editorial?

It is broadband libel against an entire group of people, defined by nothing more than a differing belief. If there was something journalistic here, you would have cited a news source at least once. You should be ashamed of yourself.

October 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Michael Oberlin, You live in a culture. God sets the boundaries of nations. Time keeps on slippin' into the future. You weren't listening like most of us. BTW, SBNR comes from a REACTION to feminism. Getting sloshed is not cause for divorce. No matter what your gubermint god says. No matter what your healthcare liars say. Get it? The default for man is a god, created or TRUE. Time to pay up.

October 1, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Ryl

Well said

October 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • End Religion

@anybodyread: the default for man has been fear of the unknown which he chalked up to a god. We understand you need your binky and will throw a tantrum when we take it from you but It is time to grow up.

October 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • thoughts

i agree it is broadband libel when it spews on the pages of cnn as an article backed by it's money, prestige, and intelligence and approval.
      i do not agree that the film the Islams became upset about was not a hate crime – it was.
      i do agree that the people who were manipulated to believe that these people were rioting because of this insult were being manipulated along with the people who were protesting ...
      i do agree this article is part of that continued manipulation ...
      and i do agree that i wish they would stop – and just let us think
      without manipulating 'us' further
      because it has turned deadly – and therefore
      is a crime

October 2, 2012 at 5:38 am |
  8. ekapurusha

In Zen tradition there is a beautiful example. One enlightened master was sitting. One monk who was the head of the old monastery, who is the inheritor of the oldest monastic tradition, a pontiff of an old monastery comes to this enlightened master. This master is sitting and drinking cup of tea; this pontiff comes and says “Do you know I am the pontiff of this monastery, oldest Buddhist monastery.”

Zen master did not speak, usually they don’t speak. He finished his cup of tea and poured the water, washed that cup and pored it in another one cup and emptied that cup, poured little more water in that cup, washed it and poured in another one cup and emptied that cup, poured little more water in that cup and washed it and poured in another one cup and gave it to this pontiff and said ‘please drink this tea’. Pontiff was shocked, and said “What do you mean?” Master said “An experienced person drinks original cup of tea”. Pontiff drinks the washed, washed, washed, washed, washed water! Truth – what is there, my ancestor’s predecessor’s predecessor’s predecessor had a cup of tea. What is there in that? Fool, you have the cup of tea.

Read http://www.nithyananda.org/content/bhagavad-gitaa-clean-stomach-enough-enlightenment

October 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Cynthia

Benevolence that's what my spirituality not my religious belief dictates. Why can't I take a little from each great wisdom tradition of this world. Most are founded on love which is a good solid foundation. I honestly could care less about what choice of great wisdom tradition you practice, I am more concerned with your ability to be a genuinely present global citizen.

October 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Yup, need that one world gumit, the Tower of Babel. We all about LOVE.

October 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

And if you fail to comprehend, the consensuous consensus of the committee will soothe your mind.

October 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • stupid

I tend to follow the Gospel and treat Revelations as sacrilegeous demon-mouthed death-garbage.

October 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  10. Datie

I do believe that sometimes someone who says they are spiritual but not religious has not really spent enough time in their life trying to figure out exactly what it is that they believe in. However, I disagree that it is wrong to take aspects from many different religions. If you have studied what those aspects are and feel that they fit with who you are or want to be, then there is no reason that you should not accept them as your own.,

October 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • clinky

Fair enough, Datie. Same goes for some churchgoers and some atheists, right? We can spend a lifetime "trying to figure out exactly what to believe in." I like how a Christian friend described the process, "like polishing a window to see through it better and better."

October 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
  11. Republicans Eat Corporate DICK

The author can go phuhck himself.

October 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • Athy

Can't you spell fuck, dimwit?

October 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  12. K

Easily the biggest load of crap I've read all day... and I've read a lot of crap. You know what scares me more than dumb people? Guys like this that are JUST smart enough to almost sound intelligent, but too dumb to say anything of real significance. Why? because dumb people seem to latch onto drivel like this and run with it.

If people were more spiritual and less religious then we just might have a lot less problems in this world.

October 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Athy

How about less of both?

October 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  13. J

very entertaining. Larry points out that there has not been any observable proof of a god or the spiritual realm. thanks for that, Larry. And what was that? Spirituality itself is the cop-out because it allows people to ignore reality. So let's get this straight: The reality is that there is no god. And you know this because you have not seen a god. So anything that we can not see or observe is not only unprovable, but strictly does not exist. Your proof is that the contrary remains unproven.

Wow! That is some great logic. It sort of reminds me of the kind of thinking that had people believing for years that the sun rotates around the earth. and yes i do realize that this faulty thinking was later corrected along with many other accepted scientific "facts" that were based of what could be observed.

your biggest error was this. you can't prove non-existence. i could tell you that unicorns exist and you could tell me you know they don't because nobody's ever seen one before. you haven't proved anything. all we can know is that nobody's ever provided evidence that they exist. I could tell there invisible, or just really bloody fast. study some logic by way of philosophy. You can't prove non-existence.

so, here's your lesson. things that you can prove in a laboratory are called scientific facts. there are also historical facts. other than that you have theories. you have, also, what most people call faith. attached to most faiths are some things can be backed up by facts, and other things which are theoretical.

the existence of god is faith issue – something people believe even though they can not see it or prove it. people like you who claim that reality can be explained entirely by science and who think that all their beliefs are factual are fooling themselves. You give a bad name to real scientists everywhere who actually know the difference between fact and theory, and left reason behind for ignorance in the guise of wisdom. and that's the biggest cop-out of all.

October 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  14. stupid

This article is stupid. Loud-mouthed, stupid nonsense for loud-mouthed, stupid, thou ghtless morons. I want to leave this stupid planet before you idiots completely destroy it . Immature, half-educated retards! I really, honestly hate this. Stupid, stupid, stupid . SORRY I learned to read. I'll know better for next time. STUPID.

October 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • stupid

Hey, you haven't ever actually thought about any of this or read one entire book, you're totally closed-minded and simple, lowcountry dumb and armed and full blown arrogant and loud mouthed? And you dont want to share or understand any other point of view even a little? Great, just great. So no matter how educated i get, you'll hold religion hostage for retardeds-only use? Screw this.

October 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • stupid

Is there another field where the people with the least education make all the decisions? Get to declare wars and write laws on behalf of people who didn't drop out after the 8th grade?

October 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • End Religion

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHXF3XeWqhA&w=640&h=390]

October 2, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  15. ALVARO R NIETO

Energy can neither be created or destroyed it only changes from one state to another, we are of the Universe and to the Universe we return, we came from the stars, we are made of the same stuff the stars are made of just in a different form, and some day we will again be part of the stars or some other from of energy in this Universe, this fits Scripture, reincarnation and science.

October 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  16. ALVARO R NIETO

E=mc 2

October 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  17. macdoodle

Spirituality is DOING the work on earth VS Religiosity having read and sometimes memorized certain books or followed specific rules.

October 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • macdoodle

People of all belief systems can be "spiritual ", but the word is misused to mean agnostic or some other things in the same manner the word religious does not always mean good or well intentioned. IMHO.

October 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Ex-Atheist James

You obviously never read the Bible nor do you know what true Christianity is about based on your answers. Being a true Christian is about "doing" what God calls us to do after receiving Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Its about as Spiritual as a human being can get while still living in this earth. The Bible is our guide to living life to the fullest while God lives in us through His Holy Spirit. I can't imagine why people would follow these spiritual gurus in false religions and think they are safe and doing well. Its demons that live in those realms of spirituality and you need to be careful with that they are pretenders and liars. There is nothing safe about them.

October 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • End Religion

@james,

Proof Every Christian Goes to Hell by End Religion
      1) The only irredeemable sin against your Lord thy God is denying him, the Holy Spirit
      2) To deny is to refuse to admit truth of or to refuse to give that which is requested
      3) Any sin is to deny god of his commandments
      4) Therefore, even one sin results in a soul that cannot be forgiven. Sin once, and you're going to hell whether you repent or not. Since Christians are "born into sin" they're automagically damned to hell and cannot be forgiven.

October 2, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  18. Anybody know how to read?

October 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Pick your nose wisely, you dolt.

October 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • midwest rail

" All the rest is gubermint... " Either deliberate trolling, or arrogant, delusional hogwash. Take your pick.

October 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, You never heard of the sons of God? ANYBODY can be a servant. Only sons get the inheritance.

October 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Pick your nose some more, honey. I think there's still some crud up there close to that thing you call a brain.

October 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • forget jesus - this king is better

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkoQHCXSK8&w=640&h=390]

October 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son, your cortex is split. That makes for instability. Even science proves that. 'Jam 1:8 A double minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.' It would be foolish for me to ask you if you wanted healing. So I won't.

October 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • truth be trolled

Looks like it's our favorite disgruntled ex Evangelical Fortune Cooke Co. "writer". lol. ("Anybody know how to read?")

October 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • End Religion

@akh: "Christianity is family. All the rest is gubermint, ye olde Prom King and Queen, which is funny because Jesus is KING. Pick your King wisely."

Christianity is a manmade club like any other, with rules and perks to make the club feel special from other clubs. The club gets together periodically and reinforces the delusions of members. Many branches of this club have dues.

You've chosen a club that aligns with your own fantasies. You and others in the club are afraid so you've made up a god that makes decisions for you, helps you feel less alone in the universe, and promises you you'll live forever. Club gods offer other various perks to induce membership such as seeing dead relatives, virginal sex partners, planets to rule or even one's own god status.

Jesus never existed, was and is king of nothing. Ask yourself why you feel the need to be ruled. Ask hard enough and you'll likely find it is due to fear.

You don't have to be afraid. You do not need religion. Deal with the idea of no afterlife by celebrating life and family in the here and now. Be responsible for your own decisions or "go with the flow" and let life determine the course if you really don't want to decide. Either way, you don't need a god or a club for any of that.

October 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

End Religion, go with the flow? You are a little worm that loves commies, socies, femmies, Churches, athenaites, and blah, blah, blah. Throw another child on the fire. Christianity is about family. Very righteous God, whose name is Jealous! And the bride's name is Israel, not by flesh, but by SPIRIT! Run along and buy a Dodge spirit. Bbbbwwwwaaahahahahaha, Strike that, I shouldn't pick on Dodge. Some very close and wonderful relatives work for that corp. It's not their fault you put the Beast in charge of EVERYTHING.

October 2, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • End Religion

AnybodyRead, you are a better advertisement against religion than I could ever be. Thanks for the help!

October 2, 2012 at 1:24 am |
  19. Jay

If anyone has interest in understanding this more, I would suggest you read I Ching by Fu Xi, Mount Analogue by Rene Daumal, The Republic, and Human, All Too Human. I feel like the thing this critic misses is that the "spiritual not religious" attraction lies on its basis of truth seeking which lends itself to examining many different philosophies/differing ways of information/thought processing and human mechanisms of action, not necessary blindly accepting things that have been scientifically proven to be false (say for example the old testament of the Bible stating the earth can be a maximum of 5000 years old when carbon dating puts the age of earth at roughly 4.6 Billion years old). I just find it hard to take something like that seriously when the basis for everything it says is rooted in fiction. The books I listed above deal with things that span time; meaning a book written 5000 years ago presents principles that are applicable today, just as they were then and were for any civilization. To be honest, this essay comes across as close-minded and almost hypocritical. Why not be open to looking at situation from a different way in order to deeper understand it?

October 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • stalkingwolf

The Bible does NOT "state that the world is 6,000 years old". It states that man was created 6,000 years ago (give, or take a few years). What you need to do is prove it wrong, yourself. Don't just rely on what you have read. The Bible is the only ancient book that has predicted thousands of events that have come to pass hundreds, and even thousands of years AFTER the prediction, exactly as predicted in the Bible. Some people just will never believe the truth of the Bible.

October 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • End Religion

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g&w=640&h=390]

October 2, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  20. TrueBeliever

It's definitely a cop out. Young people don't want to have the faith that it takes to believe that a man walked on water, which is really really impressive and cool. i don't know why kids don't believe in it. at least my children do. everything else is a total cop out. one kid i know asked me why did jesus didn't heal the whole world, or why did jesus need food in order to feed people, why couldn't jesus biolgically or metabolically change a person so they didn't feel hungry that day or didn't need food to survive for a few weeks, or feel that pain. well, the reason is that jesus didn't want to show off. Jesus also didn't want to heal too many people at once and only healed people in his vicinity. he would never do something truly crazy like appear in the minds of every person in the world at one time, like everyone sharing a dream. only the devil would do something like that. jesus was never too boastful.

October 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Athy

How old are you, TrueBeliever? You seem to be just a child. No reasonable adult could really believe what you just said.

October 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Athny, the evidence suggests your science god (evolution) is only getting better at killing. Yea, or nay? Would this evidence confirm or deny Revelation?

October 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The evidence suggests nothing of the sort, you simpleton.

October 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • End Religion

Anybody's contribution is nothing if not post after post of logical incongruity.

October 2, 2012 at 12:43 am |