home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. tdz123

Thanks, now I can't stand organized religion even more.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  2. nottolate

Hey author,

See the guy in the picture? That ain't spiritual. Ya might wanna actually know what spiritual is before you attempt to write about it.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  3. kathy

There is no god. period.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • harry

"There is no God. Period."
      "Jesus is God. Period."
      "There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is His prophet. Period."

Fundamentalist atheists make me laugh.

September 30, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  4. Jessica

Is it really fence sitting when you've made it clear that being part of organized religion is not for you? And all this crap about somehow it's obvious of our generation's selfishness that we don't do the organized religion thing... please, every religion I've been a part of has expected you to not only have a close relationship with the church, but a "personal" relationship with a god or whatever. For the record, i am atheist, and I'm glad to see churches losing attendance. Maybe then they'll get their noses out of government.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Brett

Agreed

September 30, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • MomOf3

I totally agree! I've never been to a church where my 'personal relationship' with their god didn't take a back seat to the church's 'personal relationship' with my wallet!

September 30, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  5. FreyaV

CNN should be utterly ashamed for having printed this drivel, and the author, if not fired, should be given a clue.

Signed,
    A happily questioning agnostic Unitarian Universalist with Buddhist, Jewish and "pagan" leanings and an abhorrence of fear-based, sin-based, and/or fundamentalist doctrines, as well as of narrow minds

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  6. JosephDC

Don't let Mr. Miller fool you! His final phrase in the first paragraph: "...struck at the heart of Western society." Is another feeble attempt to use fear to control the masses. Sounds like religion...
    Thinking of it as "Western" views is isolationist and that is destructive. We are "humans". Not "Americans". Not "Western". Let's figure out what it means to be one people.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Everyone

Religion, just one more label that can used to divide us as a species.

September 30, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  7. DJP

While I do agree with the basic point he is trying to make I also must agree with other comments here that the article does not seem very well organized to prove the point. However one statement in particular stuck out to me.
    "The boom in megachurches merely reflect this sidelining of serious religious study for networking, drop-in centers and positive feelings."
    Interesting and likely accurate point associating the megachurches with "spiritual but not religious" based on the points of networking, drop-in centers and positive feelings.
    Religion was not intended to be a social club as it's primary point of being.

September 30, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  8. If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Pretty obvious this is just a step in the process of separating ourselves from our parents indoctrination. First you break away from insttutional indoctrination as a step towards the realization we do not have Gods watching over us. Breaking generational indoctrination is difficult, sometimes it takes small steps.

September 30, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  9. Jamie Dawson-Osborne

Congratulations. You have just negated the millions of people in recovery/12 step programs. I know more people who have been clean from drugs and alcohol with more than 10, 15, 20 years clean who are "spiritual, not religious". Many of them are atheists and they act more "christian" than you, sir. They do not live their lives in a church. They live their lives 24/7 being loving, caring, growing human beings. Your opinions are the very reason why many of us do not go to a church. We have our own community. I certainly wouldn't want yours.

September 30, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  10. John

What's the fear, that these rigid cults are losing members? Is that the author's real concern?

September 30, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  11. Kevin Barbieux

Being Spiritual but not religious reminds of of those people who say "I'll pray for you," but never actually lend a hand. It's all cop out. Actually, all religion is a cop out, a way of avoiding life's unpleasant and difficult aspects. As for 'spirituality it self – it is no more real than the power of Dumbo's little black feather.

September 30, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • atimoth

I hope people still recognize that there is a shift in fundamental religious beliefs. I agree with your post about the interpretation and what seems the author's obliviousness to the shift, but hopefully when you look around you'll see or notice people readily admitting no particular religios ties, but readily searching.

I've actually been quite impressed to even read the well spoken responses to this article considering how shallow the thesis was. Gives me hope that the more educated we become, the freer we also become from traditional, easy-way-out trains of thought that is spiritual beliefs based on times where readily admit where times of less knowledge and inability to reason.

September 30, 2012 at 10:55 am |
  12. rt

People look around the U.S. and say, 'oh there are so many 'religious people' here today, especially compared to Europe.

I look around here and say, ' jeez, I've never seen more self righteous, santimonious hypocrites in one place in my entire life.

September 30, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  13. religiously spiritual

I think Mr. Miller has gotten his shorts in a knot over something that to most people wouldn't even register on the meter. My first and only exposure to that phrase was when I was single and tried several on-line dating sites. That term was used, I think, to help describe yourself in the profile section as someone who believed in a "higher power" but did not attend religious services regularly or at all. Just my opinion but I think he is trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  14. atimoth

Author missed the point. By not accepting something at face value, is exactly why people are trending away from religions. Look at all the wars and conflicts. Religion is at thre root of most of it.

Religions are also beginning and some have represented corporate structure and objectives for quite some time. That is the opposite of what spiritual introspection and research is about. Settling for stays quo is also keeping us from reaching new heights.

Is it me, or did the author's closing statement makes it sound like a bad thing to admit that we may not know the truth about the meaning of life; and therein lies the problem. We live in a world where saying, "I don't know the meaning," is perceived as a weakness. When, in reality and in regard to human purpose and possibilities, that should be an acceptable answer. Yet, people are judged and made to feel like they don't belong when provided with that response.

Side note, spirituality without action or thought has just as much risk associated with it. One day, humanity will win out and we will break through. Conservative egotistical religious beliefs across the globe is exactly what's holding the world back. Change is coming.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  15. JF

This is so ridiculous. CNN, we have worthy issues on our plate today which have NOTHING to do with "religion". Get with the program before the program gets rid of you.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  16. Bazoing

When I was young I spent 11 years in college taking many subjects and eventually 4 degrees. I definitely conclude that it is not unscientific or unrealistic to believe in a God, and following Jesus also makes sense. However, places of worship are magnets for narcissists and predators. Almost any organized religion focuses on dominating women, and one's offspring. And, yes most public behavior like in the beach picture is a sign of already emerging mental illness. Often these people have literally been driven from their childhood churches, and also driven a little mad.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  17. elmo

The article was written by "Alan Miller, Special to CNN". Alan based on this article there is nothing special about you.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  18. Steve

Alan Miller simply doesn't get it. He's pulling the same tricks organized religion have used for thousands of years: 'Man up, it's time to choose sides. And here are your various fairy tale choices...' This type of thinking is the very reason why civilizations are in a constant state of war. Mr. Miller and his cohorts look at it like a big game. You have to choose your team, and then move on to convert everyone else in order to honor your God. There are no organized religions that seem to be content with their own beliefs without having to convert everyone else. And then it always ends with hatred towards anyone who has chosen another set of beliefs, and then (surprise, surprise) ultimately war. Sorry Mr. Miller, I don't buy it.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  19. Rhonda

Hmmm... Mr. Miller - all due respect. You haven't scared me into thinking that I need to make a choice- as to ' which is it'. I was raised in a Catholic home and I visited many many churches of other religions/faith all through my life and I'm 60 now. I observed and listened when I visited those other churches. I found one common denominator in all of those places: Hypocrisy, Corruption , money-focus and self-servance. I think you and the brick and mortar goers are the ones that need to make a choice as to ' which' is it '... Again– you as a religious person and apparently not a ' spiritual ' person- think that if its not your way its the highway or is it hellway. Your article just proves our point that you're judgemental of anyone different from you. I lived a good life.. I pray/meditate... I've helped my family and fellow man. I'm good with being spiritual. I know that the Lord will not forsake me because I don't congregate. I believe you have enough things to work on inside of your brick and mortar congregation to keep you busy... You don't have to worry about us ' Spiritual ' people out here... We're already there. Don't be so scared ok? In the end each one of us will meet our maker- one at a time - not as a group.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  20. Chris

The Pope paid Alan a million bucks to do this. Their coffers are getting empty with each passing year.

September 30, 2012 at 9:37 am |