home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. Bobert

This guy doesnt really know what he's talking about. What gives an official "leader" of one of the established religions more authority to interpret religious thought or to define god? When I transitioned to adulthood I looked at Church leaders (mostly Christian) and saw them as people: flawed and oftentimes naive from lack of real world experience. BTW – there is no such thing as "karma sutra"...its kama sutra.

September 30, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  2. sugarKube

Some idiots will fall for anything.

September 30, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  3. Francie Marais

Your summary statement "Being spiritual but not religious AVOIDS having to think too hard about having to decide." is twisted in my opinion. Many spiritual people are challenged and challenges oneself to think, to be open minded to life, its meaning, to understand, to learn, to educate oneself, to embrace values and principles, to be non judgemental, to search for the meaning of life. All too often, the religious person AVOIDS having to think – they are told what to think, where they are going, what to do and believe they have conquered death, they are sinners and forgiven – what do you mean, they have to decide?

September 30, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  4. Matt

People attack others for thier religious beliefs and practices because it makes them challenge thier own.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  5. Thomas

Can you get anymore biased in a news article, CNN? Some of us don't wish to be brainwashed into spirituality and beliefs by those who love control, admire greed, and feel like they are the only ones with the answers. Some of us are able to think for ourselves and search for the true meaning of life, not just swallow whatever is fed to us.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  6. Robert

Sorry if you are upset that people no longer want to give money to you so that you can tell them how to think.

I am not spiritual at all.....I am atheist. My thoughts are that if there is a god, he will judge you on how you lived, not on how many times a week you went to church, or what you profess to believe. I do know that I will not be giving my money to build another shiny building.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • Mark Carroll

I totally agree. I grew up in a Southern Religious family but, am agnostic. I have a hard time with a God that is petty and will punish for whether or not you believed he was there. I find it more logical that a Just God would be impressed that you were a good person even though you did not think someone was keeping score. Also, for some people, belief is not a voluntary thing. You can't force yourself to believe something that you don't. (At least I can't)

September 30, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  7. Shame on you CNN

I rarely comment on articles but after reading this one I found myself irritated by the authors ignorance. After scrolling down and reading the responses I was shocked at the overwhelming consensus most of which seemed to be more informed than the actual author. Instead of lashing out at the author's ignorance which as been accomplished in full I'll direct my comments towards CNN ignorance instead. First of all the editors which put this through should be reprimanded and secondly theres a plethora of news outlets to choose from so I advise CNN to refrain from publishing such crap before I consider alternative sources.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  8. Pete Clarke

The feeling of humanness comes from within as does the feeling of right & wrong. Most organized religion is big business and in many cases corrupt. My life will be spent pondering the questions of life, being kind and probably not looking forward to an after life of virgins, clean water, or other things a human body might need for survival. I believe in science and rely on what I feel. Why not ! The writers argument is without merit, just wondering why CNN chose this for a front page article.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  9. Patrick Doyle

Alan Miller you are an idiot and a bigot. "It is better to be thought a fool and say nothing, than to speak and have it confirmed."

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  10. yellerdog

What a ridiculous article.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  11. Robert

Ultimately, the spiritual relationship is between the person and God. As a lifelong observer, it seem to me that morality is not the exclusive perview of those who have faith or attend organized religious functions. Are we not taking into account our individuality if we only ask God to to help us. When all is said and done, we have to live with ourselves.

September 30, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • Melanie

You are right Robert and the prayer should be help us all or help me help everyone else. And the reality is that the best prayer is acceptance because so much is out of our control.

September 30, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  12. Just Me

I doubt that many people even understand what spirituality is. If you don't know who the HOLY SPIRIT is, then, you lack knowledge what it is.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • NoTheism

And if you think you know about the existence of supernatural things, chances are you a missing a screw or two.

September 30, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • Just Me

NoTheism – And if you think you know that there is no GOD, chances are you a missing a complete brain and a heart. If you can prove that there is no God, I am willing to listen. Deal?

September 30, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • who me?

I believe a tea-pot is orbiting the earth.I STRONGLY believe this.Can you prove me wrong?

September 30, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  13. Scotty-Rocket

I can't believe they let this knucklehead post this. Let people be.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  14. ricardo1968

The only thing that matters ulitmately is compassion. Everything will fall into place if you try to do some good, and try to do no harm. Also, the bible is the not the impetus for widespread literacy. The Romans were a very literate society until the dark ages came, when literacy was destroyed. Some actually blame Christianity for that, though I'm sure thats a gross oversimplification.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  15. Anita

How dare anyone question someone else's spiritualism. If you are a good person, treat others the way you want to be treated to kindness, fairness, and empathy, that is good enough. You do not need to go to church, temple, mosque to "prove" you are religious. In the end, it's between you and your God – no one else. People need to stop judging.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • Just Me

Well said, Anita. Even though many have claimed to be spiritual and not acknowledge Christ.

September 30, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • NoTheism

@Just Me, yes, but you're begging the question, why should one acknowledge Christ when one can have a direct relationship with their god? (As far as I know, Jesus was a son of god–and perhaps not even the only one.. who knows–so why not cut out the middle man?)

September 30, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • Just Me

NoTheism – How many god(s) have you heard of that are much more known then Jesus Christ? How many do you claim t believe? In your case, science is the god of atheism and without their knowledge and technology, you would be lost.

September 30, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  16. abbotn

Positive thinking f any kind it healthy for the brain. See neuroplasticity, http://www.normandoidge.com/. For the same reason, delusion of any type is poisonous to the brain.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  17. nobikiniatoll

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  18. My beagles

Dan,
    I understand how you see those things....you are right about the world has come to the churches....that I agree. People was are basically self-centered. Preachers today are preaching things to keep people in their church instead preaching the truth. The biggest and the most important thing about spirituality is, we were created for God. God gave us a free-will. Those who
    want to know God, there are blessings, spiritual growth, and a regeneration of the our soul, inwhich is the mind, will, and emotions. Only those who put their trust FULLY in Jesus will get this. The ones you see..don't want this bad enough.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  19. Jeannie

I have labeled myself spiritual but not religious and did so after researching different religions. I have since learned most religions have a common thread of doing good, being morally and ethically good. I now have chosen to look for the good in all people, not judge. I am the cheerleader at my office, the one everyone comes to when they have to vent or need a helping hand! I am the ONLY one who does not attend "church". I do read, meditate and pray on a daily basis, I do it so I can grow as a human being because I choose to. I don't do it because I am told I have to and if I don't I will be judged.

September 30, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  20. KevinG

I think the abandonment of religion is a natural progression in our spiritual understanding. We created our religions and the points of view on our spirituality reads and feels from a different world. We can only stretch and reinterpret for so long before eventually we have to abandon what we know is false. I think we are coming to a point when we can no longer make the old religions fit into a world that has changed so much and we simply have to leave them behind. The "spiritual" movement is our search for what we believe, now that our religions no longer speak to us. Will we make new religions as we did when we changed into Christianity from the old myths of gods? Who can tell, but dismissing what is happening and asserting that it's a form of narcissism is simple minded. This author is another 'conservative' unnerved by things they don't understand and fear. Many of us are moving on and that makes them nervous and angry. They'll just have to get used to it.

September 30, 2012 at 9:52 am |