home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,994 Responses)
  1. palintwit

Repeated studies have shown that there is a greater incidence of child molestation and incest among southern white evangelical christians than in any other group that participated in the study. Living in tightly cramped quarters (such as trailer parks) is one of the main causes of perverted behavior among christians. Those requiring further proof need only to take a casual drive south of the Mason-Dixon Line. The abundance of toothless christian cretins you will see are a direct result of years of inbreeding.
    Oddly enough, many of these christian misfits make their way north or west where they can be found working in gas stations and car washes. And yes, some do end up in Congress on the republican side of the aisle. And some end up in mainstream cinema, appearing in such classics as Deliverance and Smokey and The Bandit.

September 30, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Consequence

Sin and crimes happen from failing at being Christian, not from succeeding at being Christian. Chrisitianity survives to help people order their lives, avoid wrong choices – and most, importantly, to find real happiness and freedom in this lifetime. Those who commit themselves to Christ will gain great contentment in this lifetime...but, "wolves in sheeps clothing" will try to steal them away and too many succeed. it is not a matter of big church/little church – it is a matter of lasting intent.

September 30, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  2. S.M.

Soooo wouldn't that make Jesus seriously "spiritual non-Religious" for his day? Didn't he question the the current beliefs of his day and go his own way from what was considered organized religion at that time? In fact, wouldn't Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha have all been considered spiritual and not religious since they were the ones that various religious teachings are based on? maybe next great prophet of some new church will be someone who's considered "Spiritual, but not Religious."

September 30, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Carlos

Exactly! Great answer! i think the same way!

September 30, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • someone

Jesus was a devout Jew.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Consequence

Not only was Jesus a devout and practicing Jew in his life time, He was the fulfillment of their prophecies. With His coming, He did introduce a turn in Hebrew history and in Israelite belief which was that the special regard reserved for the Hebrew people was now to be shared with Gentile peoples of the world...and, following his Resurrection, twelve of his disciples were called to be Apostles and a Church with Elders, Bishops, Teachers, Deacons and Seventy to go forth was established. From what i can tell...Jesus was all about order and the Church.

September 30, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  3. Carlos

This is nonsense. The author seems to be a paid PR officer for some church.

September 30, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  4. Chris

To say works of art and music would not be possible without the Bible is ridiculous, and blatantly untrue, as is evidenced by all the art, music and literature created in cultures that never even heard of Christianity until the Crusades. I'm very disappointed in CNN for publishing such a poor excuse for an article.

5. Drej

This garbage has less facts than a political attack ad. This really is a headliner on CNN.com? How low can you stoop? You might as well hire Glenn Beck next.

6. Patrick

This author is a moron. He needs to take a real look at the real world and who causes most of the problems in this world. From the Spanish Inquisition to the current attacks on embassies. The religions are usually must more fanatical than those who are spiritual. In no way am I say ALL religious people are fanatical. But look at the Westboro Baptist Church.

7. Lige

The God I believe in ain't short of cash, Mister.

8. Suzanne

Really CNN? I thought you were better than this.

First off all I want to make it clear that if you are a person that has found a relationship with God through traditional doctrine and you do not cause harm to others, I completely respect those beliefs. What I am saying here is simply my beliefs and I ask that you give me the same respect.

The think the author is way off. I am one of those “Spiritual but not religious” people. Walking away from my Christian upbringing was not a choice I made lightly. It was a choice I made because in my heart I could not be part of the hypocrisy, intolerance, and judgment I found in structured religion. Looking back on history, I could not, with a good conscience, be a part of anything that I found has caused so much war, suffering and oppression.

My relationship with god is still very strong and I still follow the “10 Commandments” because while they are adopted by Christianity, they are a basic rule of man which anyone with a good spiritual heart would follow instinctively. In my research I have also found that much of the religion I was brought with has swayed from the original message and been twisted to adopt pagan beliefs and interpreted to support different agendas.

I have also found that by stepping away from the traditional Christian set of rules, I have been more receptive to following my path and more receptive to finding the joyous and miraculous things about this world. I am a good person, who believes in God, family and that positive actions bring positive results, and that if you follow your heart you will see the path God has intended for you. However, I live the bible belt and I have found, that the moment I say I am not Christian or I am not religious, I am treaded completely differently. Is this something I want a part of? No thank you.

9. CarrotCakeMan

Isn't it sad this Alan Miller chooses to ATTACK those Americans who won't join his church and give his minster money with which the minister will try to poison our political process? Isn't that the whole problem, right-wing "Christianists" (read how Andrew Sullivan defines "Christianists") resent that we are NOT their "Christianist soldiers" and won't help them force their wacky, peculiar minority "beliefs" on all other Americans? Isn't this what the whole anti-gay, anti-abortion agenda is all about, forcing their shameful and hurtful "beliefs" onto all Americans by misusing the power of the law?

10. Gus

I'm glad I scrolled on down and read folks post....so I wouldn't be left feeling guilty for the rest of the day because I love God, but don't go to church. Take a look at what org this guy is the "director" of...The NY Salon. A org that exist to debate and argue about anything and everything....okay, fine. This makes perfect sense...if I was the director of such an organization, I'd probably write articles like this on a regular basis as well to insult people and then draw them into the organization that pays my bill. EPIC FAIL ALAN...us "spiritual, but not religious" folks are not going to be drawn into your cult either! Do as they will, harm none.

• Mark in ct

How can say you both love God and the attacks people are saying here???

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  11. Nate

No, actually, it's religion that is a cop-out.

• Joseph

Indeed.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  12. drkent3

What a load of BS! Humans would have endeavored to learn, to read, to explore, to invent – whether there was a Bible or not. How does one explain non-Christian societies doing these things otherwise? This is nothing more than a self-righteous attempt to justify the writer's own 'need' to associate with people who believe like himself in order for him to 'feel' good about his own 'spiritual' choice. If an all powerful creator wishes to be known to an individual, it is ludicrous to claim that this can only be accomplished though some group association. God didn't build churches or develop religion, people did.

13. abcdxyz

Let's face it–if the organized churches were meeting people spiritual needs, they wouldn't leave those churches and become "spiritual but not religious." And it's not just the young, either. In my late 50's, I still define myself as a Christian, but many Christians would not recognize my brand of "their" religion, and I can no longer affiliate myself with any specific denomination or church.

14. Doug Hayes

Few people involved in organized religions follow all of the laws and interpretations of the beleif system completely. it is also a hodge podge of interpretation and a smorgasboard beleifs. A great deal of energy is spent on defending and maintaining the system, which takes away from any meaningful search for meaning. The "spiritual but not religious"in my opinion is a step towards moving away from ancient mysticism to explain the unknown aspects of our existence to a more humanistic and scientific understanding of our universe.

15. Melanie

Justme, you agree with Anita but did you miss her main point about judging? Lol

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  16. Tori

God is Divine. He loves all of His Children. There is man-made and there is God. God brings His children into the Kingdom in His Time. Not in your time. He teaches people should love and respect each other.

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Realist

do you have school tomorrow?

• CarrotCakeMan

If your god was so all-powerful, Tori, it wouldn't need you seeking out free advertizing for it here.

September 30, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  17. Joseph

Like everything else man-made, organized religion is both good and evil but ultimately corruptible. I choose, like may rational, freethinking people, to believe there is much I do not know, rely on science, etc. Organized religion is nothing more than white noise.

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  18. Goose

Crappy article.

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Jeramie

To the contrary A. Miller. It is much harder to look at the hard questions and not just get in line and take the easy road to speritual enlightenment. Not all of us were brain washed at a young age and have to reconcile what we know is fact with what our hearts and minds want to believe. The church off any faith is simply a tool to spread and controll there masses. Don't look down on those looking for answers in a natural human way. I think therefor I am.... I think about sperituallity therefor I am speritual. End of story.

September 30, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  19. mobustobus

This guy is the type who would have had no qualms burning you at the stake a few centuries ago because you blasphemed the holy word of God. It is only through the Enlightenment and modern age that he and his kind have been shackled and neutered, so that now that can only insult you with words rather than treat you to a grand inquisition like they would be inclined to do.

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Dustin Goldsen

They are not as powerless as you think. We have seen how they control governments and sponsor terrorism in the middle east. In this country they still get people elected to Congress who push religious control by schools and want the government to control women's reproductive systems.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  20. Cat

Bunk: People were drawing on cave walls, making music, and the early Sumerians could show you a thing or too about a canon of literature well before the Kings James version of the Bible was set loose on the world. To imply that none of the arts we enjoy today would have progressed or developed without the KJ Bible is a self-stroking fantasy.

Before 'the masses' were even permitted to read the Bible, it was read to them–by clergy–and the subsequent meaning (belief about what it meant) was also a hand-me-down from the clergy–who were front-line soliders for the Pope and/or King. Desire is no proof that the thing desired was/is/or ever will be worth the effort. It was that freedom for individuals to think their own thoughts about the Bible that terrified the Church. Much of that inherited bias, hatred, and idiotic pandering to a potentially ever-angry deity on a cloud with a clipboard taking notes is STILL with us. So..the Church needn't have worried.

For those that do imagine 'spiritual vs. religious' will get them back to Eden or provide the path to Utopia; they will outgrow this, it's a phase, not unlike the stage new converts or newly Baptised Christians experience. They will move beyond it.

Fortunately, in the US [as of this writing) failure to toe the line of any religious dogma is no longer a burning or hanging offense.

Relax and 'be'. You can do it and be a 'good' person too, Alan.

September 30, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Joseph

Most values that organized religions and other cults profess have existed for many centuries before the so-called prophets. There is only once rule to follow, the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated-that is only truth and will still exist longer after Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc are gone.

September 30, 2012 at 10:13 am |