home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: My Take • Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,993 Responses)
  1. JOE COSSUTH

WHILE READING THIS ARTICLE- I STRUGGLED TO LEARN ANYTHING USABLE....BUT FOUND NOTHING....YET THE FEEDBACK WAS VALIDATING....ANYHOW IT WAS ANOTHER FUN EXPERIENCE AND GIFT FROM GOD AS IS ALL THINGS.

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  2. Andy

"The trouble is that “spiritual but not religious” offers no positive exposition or understanding or explanation of a body of belief or set of principles of any kind."
    Uh... One of my biggest beliefs is sticking to my morals/principles: being a good friend, brother, son and neighbor. By no means am I religous!!!

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  3. brenda

Proud cherry-picker here. "God", "the universe" "spirituality"...what have you....it is so much more than we can ever know. I follow my creator....nobody here on earth is going to tell me what to call him, and what to believe, and how to demonstrate my beliefs and where. Yes I believe Jesus lived and people loved him. Yes, I believe in reincarnation. Yes I meditate. Yes I light candles in honor of my deceased loved ones and observe Day of the Dead.
    People like the author really kind of need to let people be. Governments have found new ways to control their populations other than organized religion and its concept of "eternal hell"

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  4. doubting thomas

Ah, why don't you tell me how to think? That's what the men in cloths want! And if I am just a good, caring, giving person who does not believe in "god" – them I'm damned according to you. Ah, a "loving" god who only is...if you believe in him (otherwise, the loving god has people like you pray we go to hell). Pardon me for not believing in fairy tales told to the uneducated masses to explain earthquakes, tonadoes, warts and the like...so as to control them. There have been millions of good people who have worked to care for those that surround them – should we say they are all children born miraculously? Those of us who do not believe in organized brainwashing, who don't believe some dude created us...we are hardly the type person you describe. If the gospels were true, why can none of it be proven? Your answer..."Faith." How about rational thinking instead! Religion and the belief in god are for those who won't take the time to think for themselves. "In the name of god" is the most dangerous phrase in the history of mankind. You can continue to believe in fairy tales written for the uneducated masses...I'll stick with my belief that who we are is a function of science...of fact, not fiction

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  5. more2bits

This is a joke. It's a cop-out for humanity to join religions! All religions are a myth created to control your mind.

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  6. BobF

Thomas Paine said it best, "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church."

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  7. slip n' slide

Alan, no one needs your opinion on their individual quest for peace and happiness.
    Go somewhere else to peddle your wares.

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  8. willy

"fence sitting" I see this in a some young people. A large number of them are registered independents. Mostly because they do not want to be "locked in" to one particular party.

September 30, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • Adam W

Why would you want to be "locked into" an entire party's platform when it's perfectly acceptable to learn the issues, think for yourself and make your judgements based on your own evaluations? Being "locked in" is not freedom or liberty. Young America gets it.

September 30, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • willy

Well, I am "locked in" to the party I like because I have studied all the parties and I have decided the party that I am locked into generally think the way I think. I'm not afraid to commit. That being said, I have "crossed the line" more then once to support a candidate I felt was better then my parties choice. No one came to my house or threw me out of the party. Those fence riders do not understand that registration does not stop them from voting for the best candidate. They just do not want to do the homework necessary to choose.

September 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  9. H

There is kernel of truth in this very badly written article, though I was posit most religious people have no depth of belief either, or perhaps even less. Most people truly lelieve that if you just say you are christian and go to church now and then, you get a bunch of goodies. That is far more self absorbed than some dude doing yoga on the beach.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  10. TurkeyGobbler

I'm surprised this made it on CNN, uniformed, biased, and.... well that's probably the point isn't it.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  11. Eric

Forgive me if I find it hard to believe that a man claiming to be the son of God died for everyone's sins. Were you trying to convert others to Christianity with your article? I take solace in the fact that in a few more generations, organized religion will only be talked about in history books.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • No2Atheism

Really, Eric? You think that an article will convert anyone into Christianity? Jesus said, "Many has been called, but only few shall be chosen". So don't worry, you are not chosen as some of us are. No need to believe in Him, that is your free will to do so.

What you and many unbelievers lack wisdom of is that Jesus Christ NEVER preached on religion but rebuked the leaders of organized religion. So, you may desire or take religion out from the next generation but you will NOT be able to remove Christ from the heart of the one who claims to believe in him. Oh, and if you think that the bible is just is myth, than, so are the history books and science books. Prove me wrong.

September 30, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  12. MGNJHASHT

NYVeteran said it all pretty eloquently.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  13. kirikintha

This is probably the most offensive article I have read in some time on CNN. Claiming that spirituality is a "cop-out" is like saying "If your not a democrat or a republican" then you don't have any business in politics. Just because one decides not to be affiliated with a particular religious sect does not mean you have not done your homework, nor have you decided to not have a grounded set of morals, faith, belief etc.

I would counter this argument by saying, if you only have blind faith, then you are committing said cop-out yourself, because you will follow blindly without any real understanding of *why* you have faith, only that your mommy and daddy told you to have it.

For me, I just will not buy into a particular organized religion, because many times it limits one's ability to be closer to one's self, community-at-large and ultimately places yourself into a box – and that is very hard for me to justify. I refuse to place limits on God, and I refuse to place limits on my compassion, understanding and knowledge of the world I engage in.

It's an easy dig on those who say they are spiritual, because those who claim to have faith seem to be the most easily swayed by someone who does not share their faith. Why bother even having this argument, it is completely pointless, unless your piety compels you to judge people. I for one, leave judgment to the almighty, and just try and treat people as well as I can.

September 30, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  14. Mike11

How the heck is this unsubstantiated drivel on CNN's website? This is complete garbage. A younger generation moving away from irrational religious doctrine to explore their own connection with the universe in a more experiential and logical way!? Yeah that's terrible for society. Please someone bring them back to the heard. Their doubt and questioning will only lead to some sort of seeking for truth and answers within themselves and their immediate environment. They will forget how to look to the anchient books written before the age of science for security and comfort. Whatever shall we do?

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  15. Chris

I pity this author, enlightenment and critical thinking do no have to be unpaired with spirituality, what a close minded zealot, take off the blindfold. BTW, CNN's material is getting trashier and trashier, I'm not coming back.

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  16. CJ

"Being spiritual but not religious avoids having to think too hard about having to decide."

WOW....Why does a decision have to be made? Seems to me that admitting that one does not know 100% the correct path shows a lot more thought than simply going along with the masses. I am intensely spiritual, and it reflects in how I conduct myself in my day to day life. I have thought long and hard, and because of that I have come to determine that organized religion itself is a cop out, not my "lack of thought"....

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  17. jesus

read some eckhart tolle and you will understand what it means to be spiritual, but not religious.

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  18. mlb

Wow, is that the best you got? Totally lame arguments for organized religion!! If that is considered worthy of front page of CNN, it just reconfirms the spiritual not religious position. Oh, btw, it is not just young people. I am 51, me and tons of my contemporaries are also in this boat. It is really just the elder generation that is not so much as much a part of it. Look, I grew up with an Aunt, she held herself aloft (and others referred to her) as the ultimate in being a religious person. She did every custom, every step. She also had no real generosity and empathy and warmth toward all of her fellow humans. She was real cold to those who didnt agree with her. She is exactly the reason people turn away. If people like that are held up as the example to follow to be the best religious person, well, I as well as millions of others decided not to follow along with that, and why in the world would we???

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  19. WU

This guy makes Bill Bennett look like Deepak Chopra.

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  20. mary Jane

Nonsense.. The writer tips his hand at the end, tho. "Which is it? A belief in God and Scripture or. ." In other wordss a belief in the Bible or not The bible has many good lessons to learn, but I do take a stand. I don't believe most of the Bible. There now do you feel better Mr Miller? I took a stand.

September 30, 2012 at 10:16 am |