home

My Take: 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

By Alan Miller, Special to CNN

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

So what, one may ask?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alan Miller.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Opinion • Spirituality

soundoff (9,994 Responses)
  1. Diogonese

Excellent, thoughtful article.

September 30, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  2. Deven

WHAT???? A religious person pointing the finger and saying everyone else is in error? How cutting edge....

September 30, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • No2Atheism

Atheism = Religion

They point their fingers to other religions all the time, as a matter of fact, every single day in every article, regardless if it has anything to do with religion. Ha, 3 fingers are pointing back at them, guess they are much worse then the rest.

September 30, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  3. Rickynj

Why is this the cover story? Thanks for wasting my time CNN

September 30, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  4. Iron Lion of Zion

Holy crap. "[N]ot generally a reading and appreciation of The Bhagavad Gita, the Karma Sutra or the Qur'an, let alone The Old or New Testament."

The "Karma Sutra"??? First of all: It's the Kama Sutra. Second: Do you not understand that the Kama Sutra is not even CLOSE to being the main text in Hinduism? How long would it have taken to look this up BEFORE PUBLISHING IT ON CNN.COM? Next time, refer to the Vedas or Bhagavad Gita or Upanishads. Or something that makes sense.

Meh, who cares about HIndus, right? There are only a billion of them.

September 30, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Jim

I wouldn't blame CNN for this one, it's a blog posting. The author however, is incredibly ignorant.

September 30, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  5. Jeanette Hedges

It's hard to believe that CNN allowed such a shallow and narrow analysis of such a vast and complex subject to represent them front and center. I can understand if it was placed in an editorial section after the advent of real news.

September 30, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  6. Tamila

Thanks for writing what so many of us were thinking...both religious and atheist.
    Smugness in theism or atheism is the (annoying) exception, however once someone starts talking bout being "spiritual, not religious" you are guaranteed to be in for a truly obnoxious, undereducated excuse for a person's biases and justification for destructive behavior.

September 30, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Turbo

Wrong... I am "SBNR", but advocate NO justifications for destructive behavior. I pray, I don't lie, cheat, or steal, I am faithful, I am honest, I believe in God, I have a moral compass – I don't drink, do drugs, or otherwise over-indulge. I do what's right.... etc, etc. Some people need other people to tell them what to believe and a physical building to go hear all of it. Some people don't need that, but are not otherwise any different. This article is over-generalized, poorly written, and way off base.

September 30, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Tamila

Turbo, thanks for making my point for me by putting you smugness and simplistic understanding on display.

September 30, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Turbo

Likewise.

September 30, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  7. Nat Q

My take? The author of this article is yet one more judgmental tool making assumptions about how others should live their lives based on the choices he's made on how to live his.

Typical.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Tamila

my take? You are crunchy and annoying. I would giggle and point if you tried talk about your "spirituality" with me.

September 30, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Turbo

You can't have a reasonable, intelligent conversation with someone who calls people "crunchy and annoying" online. How old are you? It is regrettable that I engaged conversation with you in the first place. Peace to you anyway... Out.

September 30, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Nat Q

My take: You don't know what crunchy means and it is rude to point and laugh. Sad that you would openly admit to being such a person.

September 30, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • Whatcnido

Personally, I believe in trolls. :)

September 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  8. lesterandme

The Masters who came here to lead people back to Self/God were SPIRITUAL and not from any religion. What a silly point of view you have. Religion is MAN made. The Light knows nothing of it. Jesus, Buddha, Moses, Yogananda had NO religion. They were sent to the masses to bring them back to their home in God. "God is spirit"...Jesus.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  9. Mtnmedic

So let's see here: when someone does something wrong and they say "God told me to do it" or "It's in God's will" or "You can't do anything to me because God has forgiven me" that's NOT a cop-out? Religion is the biggest lie known to and perpetrated by man.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  10. fapnea

The author of this article is trolling.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Jrf

lol, I think you have it right.

September 30, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • thomas r.

It's the old, "we've got to keep'em in line"–power, control, and of course money. That's what has always driven organized religion, I can't even understand why CNN runs such blather.

September 30, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  11. xplrr13

All religions, by defiinition, have been created by people and have subsequently been propagated and perpetuated by people. Belief in any religion is the easy way out. You simply believe what you're told to believe. Parents indoctrinate their children and those children often go on to do the same to their children. Sometimes societies benefit, sometimes they don't.

As regards humanity when taken as a whole, however, religion is and always will be intensively devisive. Spriituality, on the other hand, forces the individual to think and decide for him or herself; something infinitely more valid given that God surely dealt out brains for a reason.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Max

I entered college as an agnostic, became an atheist, rejected spiritualism and its logically incoherent mantras (or sound-bytes if you prefer), and later became a Christian. I was quite content, as an atheist, to accept reality as it is. Yet does my conversion make me a slave to 'Church mentality", the collective? The problem of religion, which is an accidental property, is that 'familiarity' numbs the mind to accept things for emotional, rather than principled, reasons. But as children we cannot help but to learn this way; everything from politics, religion, food habits, behavior, etc. It takes a reflective mind, the knowledge and essence of truth, and the courage to commit and reject worldviews to adequately stake your beliefs on something. I recommend Plato's allegory of the cave, for it describes every single one of us.

September 30, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Neko

If you knew anything about religion, or anything else for that matter, you would understand that religion was not created by human beings.
      Now, I do not believe in any religion myself, but "God" created religion because we mere humans did not have any spirituality and needed the direction.

September 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  12. MikeInNM

"The Bhagavad Gita, the Karma Sutra or the Qur'an,...The Old or New Testament."
    Some believe humans have been here over 250,000 years. It would appear that 98% of human history predated such literature, and it is arguable that the most recent 2% of human history is any better off as a function of such literature.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  13. bosefasaurus

Maybe instead of being religious OR spiritual, people should just admit they don't know the answers to these so called 'important questions' and just be atheists. It's the much more honest, natural way to live. We are all born atheists. It is only when we buy into someone else's explanation for how the universe works according to their beliefs that we become part of some religious or spiritual group.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  14. Lexagon

...seriously? You believe in a magic sky fairy and you're criticizing other peoples belief systems??

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • MLP

Magic sky fairy....loving that

September 30, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  15. Jen

This article really gave me pause. I always categorize myself as "Spiritual but not religious" not because I'm non-committal but because nothing seems to fit me. I was raised by my mother and her girlfriend 13 of my 18 underage years. How can I adhere to doctrine that wants me to honor my mother but label her sinner for being a lesbian. My mother was a catholic and had us read the bible for knowledge purposes. She always insisted that we have respect for all religions. I'll never follow a religion that condemns my loving nurturing upbringing. I can't be an atheiest because I believe that god exists and plays some unknown role in my life.... that is very spiritual but has nothing to do with religion. Walk a mile in someone elses shoes before labeling my spiritual life as a cope out.
    t

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  16. Ashley

Don't you see how religion is the cop out? Religion gives you the answers to the tough questions without any basis.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Neko

What are YOUR QUESTIONS?

September 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  17. stephen l. walkinshaw

I don't believe in god or gods. But maybe the Spiritual but not Religious have come to a point in their lives where they no longer believe what was teached and preached at them when they were children and now as adults are looking at the facts.

September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  18. Billy

Logical fallacies (where reasonig was explicitly given) and blanket logic.
    The changing tides of culture beg us to redefine many areas of life - including religious practices. Society is witnessing a precipitous fall from organized religion. So what?
    Its only evolution of humanity. Religion has nothing to teach us. And we will reach into ourselves once again for intuitive truth from a new human perspective and form something else, a religion, way of life, something, to replace the old.
    Were all on the verge of big change. In all of humanity's history, we've never changed, evolved, or learned as much as we have since the industrial era.
    So don't respond to change with fear and 'you'd better run back!'. Spend time, instead, helping to direct a better future. :D

September 30, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Neko

The commonly used expression, "Those who ignore history are bound (or doomed) to repeat it" is actually a mis-quotation of the original text written by George Santayana, who, in his Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1, wrote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Rooted in the philosophies of Socrates, Plato, Aristotle and many others to follow, his biography (1863-1952) and more contemporary intepretations and observations about man and life can be found at Wikipedia by searching for George Santayana. Stanford University online also provides an outstanding and much more detailed background on this important and profound philosopher, essayist, poet and novelist.

Santayana's quotation, in turn, was a slight modification of an Edmund Burke (1729-1797) statement, "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Burke was a British Statesman and Philosopher who is generally viewed as the philosophical founder of modern political conservatism.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_Those_who_ignore_history_are_bound_to_repeat_it#ixzz27xxheWKH

September 30, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  19. fin

the truth can be found in many places," religion", is mixed with too many untruths. why would i want to be a part of something that is littered with condemnation and falsehoods?

September 30, 2012 at 11:07 am |