home
RSS
October 1st, 2012

Explainer: Pakistan's blasphemy laws

By Reza Sayah, CNN

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) - It has been more than a month since a teenage Christian girl was charged in Pakistan under the country's blasphemy laws . Her accusers say she burned pages from the Quran, Islam's holy book. Amid twists in her case, including changed statements by witnesses, she is facing life in prison.

On Monday, CNN reported that three witnesses whose testimony could absolve the 14-year-old Rimsha Masih have changed their statements, a potential setback for her. She has denied the charges.

The case has drawn the country's complex laws about blasphemy into the spotlight. Here is a primer on those laws.

What are the major stipulations of Pakistan's blasphemy laws, and what exactly do they prohibit?

Pakistan’s blasphemy law makes it a crime to destroy or damage the Quran or to insult the Prophet Mohammed.

The following are two sections of the law as they appear in Pakistan’s penal code:

Whoever will fully defiles, damages or desecrates a copy of the Holy Quran or of an extract therefrom or uses it in any derogatory manner or for any unlawful purpose shall be punishable for imprisonment for life.

Whoever by words, either spoken or written or by visible representation, or by any imputation, innuendo, or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiles the sacred name of the Holy Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) shall be punished with death, or imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.

When were Pakistan's blasphemy laws adopted? What fueled them?

According to the public policy think tank Jinnah Institute, Pakistan’s blasphemy laws originated in British colonial laws drafted in 1860 to protect religious beliefs and customs.

In the 1980s, under the rule of hardline Islamist and military dictator Gen. Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, the laws were amended to include life imprisonment and the death penalty.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Zia-ul-Haq accused previous governments of leading the country away from the principles of Islam and openly stated his mission to return Pakistan to a conservative Islamist state. Zia-ul-Haq’s reign is widely viewed as the “Islamization” of Pakistan.

Critics say that soon after the blasphemy law was amended under Zia-ul-Haq, many accusers began misusing the law and exploiting Pakistan’s ineffective justice system to settle personal scores and persecute minorities.

The Jinnah Institute says nine cases of blasphemy were reported in Pakistan between 1929 and 1982. Over the past 15 years, the number of cases has reached into the thousands.

What are the big Pakistani blasphemy cases in recent years that got international attention? How were they resolved?

In November 2010, Christian laborer Asia Bibi was sentenced to death after a fellow worker accused her of insulting Islam. The sentence is under appeal, and Bibi is still in jail.

Months after Bibi’s death sentence, provincial Gov. Salman Taseer and Federal Minister Shahbaz Bhatti – both moderate Pakistani politicians – were assassinated after public calls to amend the blasphemy laws.

In May 2010, militants attacked two mosques and killed more than 90 worshipers of the Ahmadi sect, minority Muslims often viewed as heretics and blasphemers by hardline Sunnis in Pakistan.

Why have some hardline Islamist groups in Pakistan rejected the call to change the blasphemy law and gone as far as praising the assassination of politicians who pushed for change?

Aasim Sajjad, a political analyst and professor of history at Islamabad's Quaid-i-Azam Univeristy, blames a succession of governments, leaders and institutions that have directly or indirectly either promoted or tolerated a hardline Islamist mindset.

“There are very well-entrenched structures of power that exist in this society,” Sajjad said. “Some of them have to do with how this state and its institutions are set up. Those deeply established structures are part of the answer why this continues to happen.

“What one needs to emphasize is how since its inception, the state has depicted itself as citadel of a particular kind of religious ideology. And what’s well-established is the direction of the state towards a self-proclaimed Islamic state during the late '70s and '80s. I think that was a fundamental turning point," he said.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“Today, there is a wide cross-section of society that tolerates this, and I think there’s also an environment of fear where they feel that if they do stand up against it, they will be targeted. The primary sentiment is one of ‘keep your head down and don’t get yourself involved, because if you do, then you’re going to be set up to be jailed or killed,' " the professor said.

Is there any chance of meaningful debate or change when it comes to Pakistan’s blasphemy laws?

“I think it’s going to take a visionary political leadership which is willing to be courageous and take a stand to generate popular support,” Sajjad said.

“But my sense is that the mainstream political forces in this country have the same approach as most everyday Pakistanis, which is just put your head down and don’t take up these issues. Until a popular constituency develops, political will won’t be generated. Until a political will is generated, a popular constituency may not be developed.

“It’s like what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Islamic law • Pakistan • Quran

soundoff (1,048 Responses)
  1. Capricorn

There are Republicans in Pakistan too????

August 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • GM is a dummy

Why are you insulting the Pakistanis like that?

August 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  2. Blatant

So stupid its almost comical. What the fvck is wrong with these people? Religious retards at their finest.

August 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

hindu's, ignorant s of hindered gutter land india and hindu Mithrac pagan savior ism Christians in their hindu Judaism, filthy self center ism, secular ism.

August 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

The day you make a coherent statement should be declared a holiday.

August 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

hawaiiguest – let me try. In plain English, muslims need a stronger "Honor Killing" law to protect muslim men from cheating wives. Is that clear enough smart guy?

August 24, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Much better. Today shall be known as coherency day!
      Also, if you really believe that, go to a Sharia state and propose that, I'm sure they'll agree, and then we can all see you for the mysoginistic douche you are.

August 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Cartoon Moha Mad

I hate Muslims. I use the Quran toilet paper. My fart sounds Allah purrr purrr Akbar

August 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism

August 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Allaisa

Please do not worry. Your Prophet was lecherous ba$tard who married his own daughter in law!

August 26, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  3. Maya

If the Religious Right had its way, we'd have anti-blasphemy laws here, too.

August 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  4. MennoKnight

Can somebody tell me how is it that these are our ally again?

August 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Because they are your need, not otherwise around as you think in your hindu Judaism, filthy secularism.

August 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism

Sorry every body for posting stupid comments here. I am a product of inbreeding. My father and mother are siblings. And I am deranged. Pislam sure sucks. Cartoon Moha Mad sucks

August 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • GM is a dummy

We have religious fanaticism in common.....just different religions.

August 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  5. Jesus was Gay Lol just Lol

You know in your heart it's true!

August 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • The power of Christ compeled

Simon to do felatio. HeavenSent.

Amen.

August 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Get your shot today for any/all/the current outbreak. Placebo shots to pay for the election.

August 25, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  6. GoldenChild

Please teach me to blaspheme.

August 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  7. JLS639

"under the rule of hardline Islamist and military dictator Gen. Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, the laws were amended to include life imprisonment and the death penalty"

So, a politician panders to the worst religious extremists to garner support and the sane people have to suffer the consequences. This shows what our foundering fathers got right. I am happy to live in a nation where I do not fear the panderers to religious extremists being able to throw me in jail. Although some right-wing Christians have expressed desires to throw atheists in jail, prevent us from marrying or take our children away, I do not foresee them ever getting their wishes.

August 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • OMG

Have you kept up with what the republicans are trying to do in the USA?

August 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • ParanoiAtheist

@JLS639

"Although some right-wing Christians have expressed desires to throw atheists in jail,"

Paranoid much?

Or,

"prevent us from marrying or take our children away"

Are you saying that atheists are gay?

August 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • GotMiracle

The founding fathers were very wise to put in those safeguards. They protect us from radicals who want to force us to believe their way. Moderates of every belief should all be very grateful to them for their foresight.
      @ParanoiAthiest. My experience with whackjobs who told me they wanted to take my children & raise them (because I was going to he11 for having a blood transfusion) leads me to believe JLS639 is telling the truth. The creepers I ordered off my property returned, & tried get in the house to convert my kids when I was not at home. I reported those crazies to the police, who informed them that they would be arrested if they came near my family again.
      America may not be perfect, but it got the freedom from state sponsored religion absolutely correct. Pakistan is a perfect example of a state sponsored religion run amok.

August 26, 2012 at 2:40 am |
  8. AlienShark

"History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated." –De Lacy O'Leary, ISLAM AT THE CROSSROADS, London, 1923, p. 8.

“The Christian World came to wage crusades against Muslims but eventually knelt before them to gain knowledge. They were spellbound to see that Muslims were owners of a culture that was far superior to their own. The Dark Ages of Europe were illuminated by nothing but the beacon of Muslim Civilization.” (F.J.C Hearushaw, The Science of History.)

“The Renaissance of Europe did not take place in the 15th century. Rather it began when Europe learned from the culture of the Arabs. The cradle of European awakening is not Italy. It is the Muslim Spain.” (Robert Briffault, The Making Of Mankind)

“The lies which we [Christians] have heaped round this man (Mohammed), are disgraceful to ourselves only.” (Thomas Carlyle, Heroes and Hero Worship)

“Muhammed was the most successful of all religious personalities.” (Encyclopedia Britannica, 4th & 11th editions)

“The greatest crimes, the greatest “sin” of Mohammed in the eyes of Christian West is that he did not allow himself to be slaughtered, to be “crucified” by his enemies. He only defended himself, his family and his followers; and finally vanquished his enemies. Mohammed’s success is the Christians’ gall of disappointment… He did not believe in any vicarious sacrifices for the sins of others.” (Edward Gibbon, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.)

August 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  9. Jennifer

Why the hell are we still supporting these miserable people who live in the Dark Ages, have no respect for women, and no tolerance whatsoever? America is supposed to be (!) in support of freedom of religion, speech, etc... so why do we spend millions of dollars supporting a country that is completely hostile to our vlues and way of life? The money would be much better spent on providing food and medicine to poor Americans who can't afford it....

August 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Sure you are talking about hinduis, ignorant s of hindered gutter land india, deserving nothing else but a kick on their hind, for their hinduism, racism, hind, filth of humanity.

August 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Islamism is healthy for any other living things, but not for humans since no other living things give a $H|T to 72 hoors in Jannat.

August 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Taimoor

Why does America need Pakistani support? Why does America want Pakistan to help?

Just Leave Pakistan alone, do not ask for their help.

August 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • midwest rail

So Taimoor, you advocate the end of ALL American financial aid to Pakistan, right ?

August 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

world needs to save Pakistan to save the world form nuclear annihilation. Islam rules.

Allah U Akur.

August 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Why the hell are we still supporting these miserable people who live in the Dark Ages, have no respect for women, and no tolerance whatsoever?"

Jennifer,

I have no idea why people support conservative christianity...

August 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Gurka

These damned pakis are the toilet of humanity...wait the palestinians are. A reliigon that thinks god likes a dirty old man of 50 to marry a baby of 6 has got to be sick and perverted. islam sux.

August 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • sane

Oil. The stuff Republicans want to keep us addicted to.

August 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
    • Cartoon Moha Mad

I hate Muslims. I use the Quran toilet papeer. My fart sounds Allah purrr purrr Akbar...Islam sux

August 25, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  10. hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

"blogger formerly known as Who invited me?" are you talking 'bout Pakistan Sir?

August 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

post under your own ID, hindu trickster or look for your daddy.

August 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

why don't YOU pick a new ID you copycat!

August 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

No need to act like your hindu, stupid god monkey, may be you share pool of genes with him making you act like him.

August 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm |

August 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • 3rdEyeIdiot

Look Ma, I escape insane asylum again...

August 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • vs101

Answering you own questions is a sign of insanity. The vile stuff that you talk of makes you criminaly insane.

August 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm |

August 25, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • CarolinaKate

I am well-educated, well-read, and a published author but, honest-to-goodness, I can't make the first iota of sense out of what you are (presumably) trying to communicate. I'm either working about 3 cylinders short, or, my "lights are on, but no one is home", or, your "wheel is still turning, but your hamster has died".

August 26, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • CarolinaKate

Or maybe you really are the product of intergenerational inbreeding. However, while "inbreeding" occasionally results in diminished capacity, it does not usually lead to incomprehensibility.

August 26, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  11. snowboarder

i had a couple of mormon girls stop me on my run yesterday to offer me pamphlets. they were pretty cute, too. i almost said yes.

August 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Huebert

Those were the Mormon equivalent of booth babes.

August 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@snowboarder

You are guilty of lust snowboarder. You would do well to read up on God's truth, the Bible. I use my kitchen tongs to get my mumu out of my butt crack. You are just dried up dusty bones and your home for eternity will be the fires of hell with your hero satan.

Amen.

August 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

can you post where did it happen? I will go Mormon any day any place for cute bebe offering me pamphlets. Hell with Islam.

August 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • snowboarder

venSent – any man not guilty of lust is already dead.

August 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Amen brother snowboarder so true "any man not guilty of lust is already dead." Our Islam is forcing us to keep our dikks under lock and key.

August 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

oh yeah I remember at one time my appa (daddy in Arabic) tied my D ick with my left leg as a punishment. Islam is very strict about free d ick services.

August 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Fake heavensent posted his nonsense. He's punishing me for writing all outbreaks during election time is for the American public to pay for the election. Get your placebo shot now.

August 25, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  12. hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

my imam used to say "Islamism is healthy for any other living things, but not for humans since no other living things give a $H|T to 72 hoors in Jannat". He was right.

August 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

hinduism absurdity of a hindu ID thief.

August 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Sorry every body for posting stupid comments here. I am a product of inbreeding. My father and mother are siblings. And I am deranged. I know Pislam sucks.

August 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  13. Colin

Tom, Tom, Doc V, myself, William Demuth, LinCA, Hot Air Ace, Mirosol and about 100 other people would all be dead for what we say on this blog if Pakistan ever got a hold of us and wind of this.

Mental note to self- no visiting Pakistan..........

August 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • The prophet

No great loss there, Islamabad is nice this time of year, all you'll need are one way fares.

August 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • Colin

Prophet – no way, I want to be shot in the back as an 80 year-old, while making love to my beautiful 23 year-old girlfriend – by her jealous younger and prettier sister!

August 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Mahobbat Khan

Sir come to Islamabad Pakistan and I promise you will be get all three wishes:

live to turn 80
      making love to 23 year-old
      shot in the back (but by her jealous father)

August 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  14. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

August 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Huebert

If that was true their would be no need to keep saying it.

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • snowboarder

i never understand how some people can be fooled into believing that.

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • truth be told

Many have not yet learned the Truths expressed.

August 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • snowboarder

truth can not be found in any religion. occasionally one may stuble upon a good idea, but it is exceedingly rare.

August 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • Huebert

@snowborder

Some people believe whatever they want to believe and could care less about evidence, or reality for that matter. This clown (aka truth be told) is a perfect example.

August 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Infidel religions are not healthy for any things, but Islam do. Children in Islam learn how to die for the religion they fear.

August 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Atheism means self center ism or secularist, self centered, or a hindu Jew denier of truth absolute in self center ism, from word, Atho or call it a pig, having same meaning's.

August 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Atheism is Healthy for Kids and Grown-Ups Too!

.. It's really best for all people including children to have an agnostic approach to god, and an atheistic approach to all religion. Teaching kids to be agnostic helps reinforce their understanding of the new real things they can see and learn about in life. It helps them properly separate the known from the unknown without confusing them. They just need to be taught things that are unknown, like god, and things that are made up, like all religion.

Atheists have strong minds, and don't run and hide their misdeeds within their religion (and by doing so, disserving society).

We have only begun to scratch the surface in using the mind to its maximum. Damaging it with made-up junk that politicians and salesmen dreamed up long ago is senseless, and limits the mind's potential. These politicians and charlatans didn't even do a good job of organizing and being consistent with the stuff they dreamt up to try to control people. Daddy used to say they were caught with their pants down when the bible was first translated so that common folk could read it. Very true.

old mama kindless

August 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Mohammad was an atheist long before he saw turning desert people in some kind of cult a good business for himself, and I don't deny that.

August 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • GotMiracle

It is true, it just keeps on being deleted when people do explain it, Huebert. Please, read the medical studies about the positive health effects of prayer. Prayer combined with good medical care enhances quality of life & can even extend life. Praying each day helps lower blood pressure. People are unlikely to harm either themselves or others by the practice of moderate religious beliefs.

August 26, 2012 at 2:55 am |
    • Real Deal

GotMiracle
      "It is true, it just keeps on being deleted when people do explain it,"

What do you mean, "deleted"? - there are no live moderators here.

August 26, 2012 at 3:23 am |
  15. BanLin

Muslims always use the words "peace be upon him" when ever they mention the name Mohammed, it is actually "no peace" because it is very clear mention Mohmmed's name, mention Islam or koran is always = to WAR not peace.

August 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • N

reminds me of shikaka episode in ace ventura when nature calls.. someone should play that with them.

August 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  16. Colin

Blasphemy, the very definition of a victimless crime.

August 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Let's hope that the crime is never defined under law here. Then any one of us could be victim of the state.

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  17. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

This is excallty what is going to happen in the U.S. if the Christian right has anything to say about it.

August 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • snowboarder

thankfully, christianity in the developed world has evolved into little more than a social club for all but a small percentage of the population.

August 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Get your sinning done before November, after that it will be a Romney / Ryan tea party

August 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Truth absolute is God, and nothing ever exist with truth absolute God, denierof "HIM" in his hindu Judaism, filthy secularism is nothing but a hindu, ignorant, spewing his hinduism, absurdity like dead from his grave.

August 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Ronnie,

what happens at a Romney/Ryan tea party?

Do we all dress up like Mormans and break into a Pharmacy and destroy everything?

August 24, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I love the fact that a bunch of hoodlums who disguised themselves and destroyed private property belonging to a reputable corporation is considered patriotic in this country – so much so that a political movement is named after it.

Perhaps we should all dress up like Saudis and intercept a ship load of Nissan cars and throw them overboard for assembling them in J@pan and call it the "Datsun-derthesea" party. Sounds very patriotic. I'm sure the tea baggers would think its a great idea.

August 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • rgncgn

400 to 500 years ago there was horrible religious persecution by Christians against non Christians, before that there was the Crusades, more recently, the Nazis attempted genocide against the Jews, the Israelis have been at war with the Muslims over religious differences since 1949 and now we have Radical Muslims on a mission to destroy everything and everyone that doesn't follow their faith to the letter of the law. Take religion out of the equation and what do you have? PEACE

August 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Romney / Ryan tea party defined
      Roe v Wade goes away
      Ho mo marriage goes away
      Current abuses of the const itution go away
      All real Americans get handguns
      Aclu goes away, far away Guantanamo away
      Womens vote goes away
      All good becomes law
      All evil is vanquished
      All atheists citizenship is revoked
      All atheists go away as in deported
      Cotton field and tobacco farm labor shortage goes away
      Minimum wage goes away
      the list is endless and YOU are on it !
      Romney / Ryan 2012

August 24, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • midwest rail

Troll. ^ ^ ^

August 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Truth^^^

August 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Ronnie,

So funny, you should do late night stand up ... they'd stone you of course but ....

Hey Ronnie, you should do late night stand up!

I too smell troll bait overy this kind of comment:
      "Cotton field and tobacco farm labor shortage goes away"

I didn't realize there was a shortage of John Deere tractors?

But I'll bite:
      Current abuses of the const itution go away
      Exactly what Const'tutional abuses are "current"?

August 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • GotMiracle

There is an actor's guild forming at the local playhouse, Tom, they could use your fictional drama.
      It is highly unlikely any state establishment of a specific religion would ever happen in America. It is much more likely that religious expression would become more suppressed instead. After all, there will be no more nativity scenes on the coast to express individuals freedom of religion because some groups used the opportunity for ridiculing other citizen's beliefs, hmmmm. No one got arrested for blasphemy by using aliens as a mockery during a holiday, so it looks like Americans will continue to tolerate the beliefs of others. Saying this election's candidate will alter that basic core value, is eerily like the false outcry during the 1960 campaign that claimed John F Kennedy would enslave all Americans to the papacy! Dial back the political rhetoric, please. It has grown old & tired.

August 25, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism

Draw Cartoon Moh A Mad

August 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
  18. snowboarder

when religion holds power liberty can never prevail.

August 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well said.

August 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • truth be told

Without God there is no liberty !

August 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • snowboarder

be told – you stated that falsehood before. it gains no credibility with reposting.

August 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • truth be trolled

typo there – of course it's "with God, there is no liberty.

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

God demands obedience.
      How is that liberty?

August 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • truth be told

Liberty is an American thing it does not apply to third world flunkies.

August 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
    • snowboarder

liberty is a human thing. unfortunately, many have never been exposed to the concept of it.

August 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • JLS639

Snowboarder, religion is not the enemy of liberty. The enemy of liberty are those who would take liberty away for whatever reason. Many of those taking liberty away have justified it with religion, but the justifications for trampling liberty are only limited by the human imagination. Communists did not justify it with religion and kings often did not. Some religious rulers have been very tolerant.

August 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  19. Reality

And still more blasphemy aka THE TRUTH:

o On the koranic passages and world domination:

"Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like

a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.

In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.

Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?

A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!”

Don Richardson

August 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • UnReality

All religion owes all to Allah, all praise be unto him, by whose will his Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, brought the double penetration dildo into the world. Romney/Ryan, Mormon and Catholic but joined by a dildo, will climb to the heights of world power and show all that all praise should be unto Allah.

August 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

Cry of a hindu, denire of truth absolute, their is no peace in hinduism, denial of truth absolute, nor were hindu's pagans of the time, ruling over humanity under hinduism, racism and making people pray to them as god's. Islam right fully destroyed fiefdom's of hindusim, racism and freed huamnity from hinduism, slavery of hindu criminal Pharoah's and their pot head hind santans, filthy goons to be human, HIS desire, as he wished them to be. nothing can exist without Allah, truth absolute and every one denial of "HIM" is nothing else but a hindu, criminal deserving not be classified as human but a hindu, a human looking animal.

August 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • hinduism source of hindufilthyracism.

I saw some Hindu Colin post "I want to be shot in the back as an 80 year-old, while making love to my beautiful 23 year-old girlfriend – by her jealous younger and prettier sister!"

it was my original post on Al Jazeera.

August 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Reality

One more time, the safe and peaceful solution:

From the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi----–

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings
      be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

August 25, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • HeavenSent

RealityNot, your vanity knows no limits. Unbelievable. Shrinks call you a narcissist.

August 25, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  20. Doc Vestibule

Of all the crimes invented by man, "blasphemy" and "heresy" have got to be the most absurd.

August 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • Reality

Excellent point!!!

August 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Timzer

Indeed.

August 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • ME II

I don't know... making suicide illegal is right up there too.

August 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • blogger formerly known as Who invited me?

there is a law , still on the books in Memphis Tennessee that any woman driver must have a man walking in front of the car with flags warning drivers of her appraoch.

August 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Ronald Regonzo

Memphis has it right lives would be saved if that law went national. Romney / Ryan 2012

August 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Me II
      OK – I'll cocede that one...

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Who invited me?

Funny!

What did you do to tick off the 666 copy/paste troll?

August 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doc and Reality are one in the same.

August 25, 2012 at 10:26 am |