home
RSS
October 10th, 2012

Congressman draws fire for calling evolution, Big Bang ‘lies from the pit of hell’

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Washington (CNN) – A U.S. congressman is attracting attention and criticism for an online video that shows him blasting evolution and the Big Bang theory as “lies from the pit of hell” in a recent speech at a church event in his home state of Georgia.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, the Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell,” U.S Rep. Paul Broun said in an address last month at a banquet organized by Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Georgia. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

Broun, a medical doctor by training, serves on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Speaking at Liberty Baptist Church’s Sportsman’s Banquet on September 27, he said that “a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old,” Broun said in the speech, which Liberty Baptist Church posted on its website via YouTube.  “I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says."

Scientists say that the Earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old and that the universe dates back 13.7 billion years.

In his speech to the church group, Broun called the Bible the “the manufacturer’s handbook. … It teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in our society.”

“That’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the congressman, Meredith Griffanti, said that Broun was not available for comment on Wednesday and that the video showed him “speaking off the record to a large church group about his personal beliefs regarding religious issues.”

The congressman’s remarks about science have drawn attention online, with critics taking aim at his role on the science committee.

Bill Nye, the popular science personality, told the Huffington Post in an e-mail that "Since the economic future of the United States depends on our tradition of technological innovation, Representative Broun's views are not in the national interest."

"For example, the Earth is simply not 9,000 years old," said Nye, a mechanical engineer and television personality best known for his program "Bill Nye the Science Guy." Broun "is, by any measure, unqualified to make decisions about science, space, and technology."

Talking Points Memo reported on the church video over the weekend after being tipped off by the Bridge Project, a progressive group that tracks conservative activity.

Most creationists believe in the account of the origins of the world as told in the Book of Genesis, the first book of the Bible.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

In the creation account, God creates Adam and Eve, the world and everything in it in six days.

For Christians who read the Genesis account literally, or authoritatively as they would say, the six days in the account are literal 24-hour periods and leave no room for evolution.  Young Earth creationists use this construct and biblical genealogies to determine the age of the Earth and typically come up with 6,000 to 10,000 years.

The Gallup Poll has been tracking Americans' views on creation and evolution for 30 years.  In June, it released its latest findings, which showed that 46% of Americans believed in creationism, 32% believed in evolution guided by God, and 15% believed in atheistic evolution.

– CNN's Eric Marrapodi contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Evolution • Politics • Science

soundoff (5,886 Responses)
  1. Da Surprise, can you believe it??????????????????

The Bible: the first book of everything.

First biblical car: Ford Dromedaria
    First airplane: F-2 Abraham

First computer: abacus 2.0

Health insurance, yep.
    Moon landing plans, that's how Noah survived the flood, see Gingrich was right. No , wait, sorry, the earth is flat , no way that we can circle around the moon, which is nothing but a flat round slice of cheese.

With elected morons like this, no wonder that China and India will out produce and out manufacture us in no time.
    Oh brother.

October 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

Every time Broun says something like this, his staff swears his comments are "off the record". There is no such thing anymore. The technology that we are using makes that impossible. This technology does provide an interesting view into the minds to conservatives, whether its referring to a person as Macacca, a doctor denouncing embryology ( and presumably everything else he learned in med school before he abandoned that in favor of fleecing people on the public dole), or Todd Akin declaring that women have been forced to have abortions even when they were not pregnant. Earlier this week, the Taliban shot and injured a 14 year-old girl for the sin of advocating that girls go to school. Its not a huge leap from the Taliban's thinking to Broun's. What Broun is doing is appealing to the same level of paranoia that exists in our society, while utterly ignoring the benefits that scientific research has brought us. Research does not reach its conclusions through prayer, but through repeatable results. If Broun had his way, his former profession would be forced to abandon antisepsis, since we cannot see the germs. Its mind-boggling that Georgia has not revoked his license to practice medicine.

October 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  3. Sly

"I am not a crook".

"I didnt molest any of those little boys"

"Dinosaurs are fake"

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  4. City On A Shining Hill

Papa Chris-

"All scripture, the 66 canonical books that comprise our Bible, are inspired by God"-II Tim. 3:16. God is the author of the Bible, not man. Let's read it, embrace its teachings, and transform our lives-

"The Word of God is sharper than any two edged sword, dividing the soul and spirit, and joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart"-Heb. 4:12.

And, how could Peter, an illiterate fisherman, know about nuclear fission, as he is inspired by God to write:

"And the world and all in it will be burned up" by fire, and renewed-I IPeter 1:20

And, John another illiterate disciple, writing in Revelation, and describing a new Heaven and earth?-Rev. 20-22.

And Job, describing the earth hanging on nothing, and mentioning star constellations, the Pleadese and Orion, and the Big Dipper?

In Acts, Paul describes that all living beings and plants were created in their original form, and not evolved into other forms of life. How could a man not schooled in the sciences know this?

Photos of earth from space show the earth is not hanging on anything. The Bible unscientific? Start reading it!

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • MDAT

When does the bible say anything scientific.

October 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • MDAT

And the world be all buned up in fire is not nuclear fission.It is when a nucleus decays and breaks up into lighter nuclei.

October 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • MDAT

If they were created originally They would not survive.And how do we have the fossils of human ancestors?the earth hanging onto nothing?Gravity!

October 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Ed

Yikes.

October 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Da Surprise, can you believe it??????????????????

I must add to the little adobe town on the hill:
      How could I, a moderately educated white male, forsee, with absolute certainty, that
      drum whirls, drums, fireworks:

that the israelis will keep fighting with the palestinians
      that it will be dark tonight
      even more: it will be dark next wednesday evening
      that you will have to pay more for gas
      that your taxes will go up
      that your hair will go thinner

how, how in the name of the lordy, could I forsee all this without the bible?
      I just don't know what struck me.. must have been a meteorite, or was it Zeus??

October 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
  5. Dyslexic doG

The bible is like a "Nigerian Email" from the bronze-age.

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  6. Itdoesn'tmatterwhatwethink

And he's on what commitee? The House Committee on Science, Space and Technology–really?

October 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • andrew

If my doctor ever ends his diagnosis with "that's what it says in the Bible," I am going to find a new doctor.

I'm not religious, but I respect the Bible as a piece of literature and understand it has deep meaning for others. That said, the book should not be used for science or medicine. Anybody who believes it SHOULD be used for those things is clearly delusional.

October 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  7. Mike

This article proves two things. First and foremost, our medical system is wrought with fraud. This con-man (as most doctors are), is actually going to make the ascertain that we didn't "evolve". There is much more evidence of evolution than what there ever was that the drugs this guy deals actually serves any practical purpose in healing anyone (aside from this doctor taking hits from the freebie pack left by his pharma rep).
    Secondly, now that we know this guy is a fraud, why are we being forced to pay to feed people like this through "Obamacare"? Personally, I think he should be treated as any other hocus pocus bum. Let him wither on the vine...

October 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  8. Jeff

Wait–he's a doctor, and he doesn't believe in *embryology*?????? What does he believe, in addition to the other nonsense? That the stork brings babies, or that they are found under cabbages????

October 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
  9. Liberty

I believe in GOD and I definitely believe that we were created in his image. The bible is the key. Of course the atheists are going to cry afoul because their dead men walking (which by the way has been predicted in the Book of Revelation). If people truly believe that the earth and all in it just appeared with a BIG BANG then I really feel sorry for you. That's like saying all the buildings in the city's built themselves. It truly saddens me how many non-believers there are in the world, but they will be awoken very soon and then it will be too late for them!

October 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Luis Wu

Then who or what created god? Or did he magically "poof" himself into existence like he did everything else? Grow a brain.

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Dave

Revelation was written by John of Patmos island and is about NERO.

October 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

People have been predicting the end of the world for hundreds of years. Since we are all still here, the predictions contained in Revelations are clearly worthless.

October 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • zzzzzz

blah blah blah......the foul stench of Christianity is the biggest detriment to this country.

October 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • jack

Which MD school did Broun get his honorary degree from?

I agree with him he has not evolved!

October 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Da Surprise, can you believe it??????????????????

oh dog, you are sure enjoying being a miserable Un-christian moron. What would Jesus do with cabbage like you??

October 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Nodack

If the Universe is only 9000 years old then explain dinosaurs. You can't so they didn't exist I guess. I guess we are only imagining using gas to fill up our cars.

October 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • MDAT

It is not moronic if it is true.You just showed bigotry there.

October 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • Big Al

"teh stoopid", it hurts my head to read this. No, it didn't all "just appear", it's called evolution, meaning that it all evolved over time and continues to evolve to this day. What is it about some people that they are so terrified of reality? The bible, let's see, earth created in 6 days, talking snakes, people riding in whales, people walking on water, selling my first daughter into slavery... I'm really sorry for you.

October 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • HERB

"AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT." SOUNDS LIKE THE BIG BANG TO ME.

October 11, 2012 at 9:30 am |
  10. Dave

Here I thought that Doctors and Politicians had degrees in something Collegiate. Silly me. Looks like Broun recieved his in a Wheaties box. It figures that Republicants would elect someone THIS ignorant.

October 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  11. JJ

Nuts like this guy gets elected because churches are organized and actually double as Political Action Comittees (PAC). Free thinkers don't organize so will always be out voted by these tax exempt evantaliban PACs.

October 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  12. charlotte

Religion is a lie from the pits of hell.

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  13. Sly

Wow .. what a huge conspiracy.

How did anyone place those 40+ MILLION dinosaur bones all around the planet.

And gosh, how did he bury some of them miles deep in the ground?

Heck ... I'm willing to believe in God for just that one reason, because we all know no human being could plant 40 million pieces of evidence.

Is there anyone more naive than someone who believes in God?

Unbelievable how dumb some people are. And we laugh at Muslims claiming 79 virgins – ya think his embecile's idea's are just a tad more ridiculous? Ya think?

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • Golmer

Emmer Dyenknee sawr bawnz wuz put in thuh grownd buh Satin hissef tuh laid paypul uhway frum thu Lawrd's trew grayce!! Dyenee sawr bawnz iz thu wark o'Saytin!!!!!! PrayzJayzusAmin.

October 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  14. Dave

Republicans! Magic Underwear and a young earth. They like their earth's like they like their women!

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  15. Too Much

Well the good news is that he is from Georgia where I'm sure he'll be re-elected. Can we stop electing leaders that refuse to face facts when presented to them?

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  16. City On A Shining Hill

Kent-

You are in a sense, right. But day, in Hebrew and Greek, is a literal 24 hour period of time, as well as a long period of time. Proper interpretation of Genesis One indicates a literal, 24 hour period, and night, as well. It is good to study the Bible, and put these verses in proper context. It plainly says that God created all matter in a one week, seven day, 24 hour period of time, and not eons, as theistic evolutionists implies.

"Properly intrepret the Word of God, by thorough study"-II Tim. 2:15.

Don't listen to your high school biology or science teacher, and college professor who does not support the one week, 24 hour period. Too many are.

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • MDAT

If the world was created 600 years ago,Then why is there evidence otherwise?

October 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • charlotte

Very funny. Almost as believable as the ouija board and magic 8 ball. The biblical creation myth is just that – a false myth made up by people barely past the neanderthal state and only believed today by people still mired in that state. Anyone who believes it has clearly left their brains behind. Anyone who tries to force honest, intelligent and fact-driven scientists to teach the creation nonsense in a science classroom ought to be tied up in a straightjacket and thrown into a holding pen with all the other crazies.

October 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • Huebert

Please tell me why I should take the word of some random guy on the internet over that of my biology professor?

October 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

The critical word you use is "interpretation": in other words, your belief. You cannot present me with proof, since that would deny faith. Everything you use in your life is built on the very things you are so feverishly denying, yet you persist in it. I give you points for persistance, but you're wrong.

October 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Kent

Hey City on a Shining Hill,

My point really is that this debate will never be proved or disproved until the Lord reveals it all and we will all probably be really surprised. I beieve in every word of the bible, don't understand it all and don't even feel we have to. The things that are really clear and simple I believe. What I don't understand, I still believe and just store it up until I do understand, which I think may not be while I'm alive.

What I find interesting in this is how hot a topic is all is. I do believe that people who do not want to believe in God or want to believe that their is no God will look for proof that there is no God. I think that is so that the things that are really simple to understand in the Bible can just be thrown off as false and they are in the clear. Most people love all the nice things in the Bible, love and mercy and all that. But, when it comes to the consequences that is what motivates the "this is all a bunch of bologne, so I can forget out it".

I read a really great Science book not long ago, and the person who gave it to me does not believe in God. It was funny, after I read it, I said, "Wow, the way the author explains the discoveries of Science, the more it makes me believe in God". they are just figuring out some of the things God did. My friend who doesn't believe in God said just the opposite. That it proved to him that their was not God. My take away from that is what a person believes or wants to believe will distort how something is interpreted. Believes trumps facts.

I think it takes as much faith to believe in evolution as it does the bible because neither can be proven. I also believe that if the earth goes on with the scientific gains we are seeing that Darwin's theories will be hilarious. Think about it, Darwin really didn't understand the atom, we didn't have electron microscopes, DNA wasn't even conceived. Another hundred years will go by and Darwin's theories will be hilarious (we came from Monkey's and used to have tails will be funny). That said, I don't believe people will believe in God anymore than they do today and probably less (people will come up with some other excuse not to believe). Remember it use to be science that the world was flat, and the the Sun was the center of the universe and moved across the sky. Seems silly now. Science will advance and will prove new things that will make the way we think today silly.

But God will still be the same.

So I've revealed my hand. Interesting stuff.

October 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  17. Poppa Chris

This is the fallicy of "Sola Scriptura"(Scripture alone). A literal translation rather than a moral lesson. A truly studious christian accepts the moral truth of the bible's intent not the literal details written 4,000 years ago by philosophers and prophets who had no understanding of physical sciences. The VAST number of perfectly moral christions have no problem relating the Big Bang, evolution, embryology, or any of the sciences to the beleif in an almighty God. After all, who are we to say what methods He must use to effect His will? I for one believe that the marvels I see revealed by science only strengthen my belief in His power and love, not the other way around.

October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • charlotte

True, the vast majority of Christians do not adhere to the biblical mythology. Unfortunately, the noisiest ones do.

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Human be aware of hindu filthy dog's of hindu Atheism, self center ism , DENIAL OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD.

But hind's, deniers of truth absolute use a process of evolution to deny initiator of process truth absolute GOD, and use "HIS" knowledge to deny truth absolute GOD, to claim themselves to be hindu sanatan, criminal shaman man god by declaring themselves be atheist, a hindu filthy cover to deny truth absolute GOD.

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • andrew

"But hind's, deniers of truth absolute use a process of evolution to deny initiator of process truth absolute GOD, and use "HIS" knowledge to deny truth absolute GOD, to claim themselves to be hindu sanatan, criminal shaman man god by declaring themselves be atheist, a hindu filthy cover to deny truth absolute GOD"

Exactly.

Thank you for making my point that people who believe in this stuff are insane.

October 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  18. Colin

To get a gauge of just how inane the belief in intelligent design is in the 21st Century, here are some areas they must ignore, any one of which proves beyond rational argument that, not surprisingly, the World did not start about 6,000 years ago at the behest of the Judeo-Christian god, with one man, one woman and a talking snake.

First and most obviously is the fossil record. The fossil record is much, much more than just dinosaurs. Indeed, dinosaurs only get the press because of their size, but they make up less than 1% of the entire fossil record. Life had been evolving on Earth for over 3 thousand million years before dinosaurs evolved and has gone on evolving for 65 million years after the Chicxulub meteor wiped them out.

The fossil record includes the Stromatolites, colonies of prokaryotic bacteria, that range in age going back to about 3 billion years, the Ediacara fossils from South Australia, widely regarded as among the earliest multi-celled organisms, the Cambrian species of the Burgess shale in Canada (circa – 450 million years) the giant scorpions of the Silurian Period, the giant, wingless insects of the Devonian period, the insects, amphibians, reptiles; fishes, clams, crustaceans of the Carboniferous Period, the many precursors to the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs themselves, the subsequent dominant mammals, including the saber tooth tiger, the mammoths of North America and Asia, the fossils of early man in Africa and the Neanderthals of Europe.

The fossil record shows a consistent and worldwide evolution of life on Earth dating back to about 3,500,000,000 years ago. There are literally millions of fossils that have been recovered, of thousands of different species and they are all located where they would be in the geological record if life evolved slowly over billions of years. None of them can be explained by a 6,000 year old Earth and Noah’s flood. Were they all on the ark? What happened to them when it docked?

Lions, tigers, bears, and wolves eat a lot of food – meat- which means its food would itself have to have been fed, like the food of every other carnivore on the ark. This is not to mention the thousands of species of meat eating dinosaurs, all of whom ate carnivorous dinosaurs which were, themselves, bigger than busses – and they, too had to be fed!

A bit of “back of the envelope” math quickly shows that “Noah’s Ark” would actually have to have been an armada of ships bigger than the D Day invasion force, manned by thousands and thousands of people – and this is without including the World’s 300,000 current species of plants, none of which could walk merrily in twos onto the Ark, nor the 400,000 species of beetles, nor the gnats that live for a few hours, nor for that matter, human beings! If Noah and his family were on the ark, where do black people come from? Or Chinese, or Ja.panese, or Australian Aboriginals, or the 100s of other races.

Secondly, there are those little things we call oil, natural gas and other fossil fuels. Their mere existence is another, independent and fatal blow to the creationists. Speak to any geologist who works for Exxon Mobil, Shell or any of the thousands of mining, oil or natural gas related companies that make a living finding fossil fuels. They will tell you these fossil fuels take millions of years to develop from the remains of large forests (in the case of coal) or tiny marine creatures (in the case of oil). That’s why they are called fossil fuels. Have a close look at coal, you can often see the fossilized leaves in it. The geologists know exactly what rocks to look for fossil fuels in, because they know how to date the rocks to millions of years ago. Creationists have no credible explanation for this (nor for why most of it was “given to the Muslims”).

Thirdly, most of astronomy and cosmology would be wrong if the creationists were right. In short, as Einstein showed, light travels at a set speed. Space is so large that light from distant stars takes many years to reach the Earth. In some cases, this is millions or billions of years. The fact that we can see light from such far away stars means it began its journey billions of years ago. The Universe must be billions of years old. We can currently see galaxies whose light left home 13.7 billion years ago. Indeed, on a clear night, one can see many stars more than 6,000 light years away with the naked eye, shining down like tiny silent witnesses against the nonsense of creationism.

Fourthly, we have not just carbon dating, but also all other methods used by scientists to date wood, rocks, fossils, and other artifacts. These comprehensively disprove the Bible’s claims. They include uranium-lead dating, potassium-argon dating as well as other non-radioactive methods such as pollen dating, dendrochronology and ice core dating. In order for any particular rock, fossil or other artifact to be aged, generally two or more samples are dated independently by two or more laboratories in order to ensure an accurate result. If results were random, as creationists claim, the two independent results would rarely agree. They generally do. They regularly reveal ages much older than Genesis. Indeed, the Earth is about 750,000 times older than the Bible claims.

Fifthly, the relatively new field of DNA mapping not only convicts criminals, it shows in undeniable, full detail how we differ from other life forms on the planet. For example, about 98.4% of human DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees, about 97% of human DNA is identical to that of gorillas, and slightly less again of human DNA is identical to the DNA of monkeys. This gradual divergence in DNA can only be rationally explained by the two species diverging from a common ancestor, and coincides perfectly with the fossil record. Indeed, scientists can use the percentage of DNA that two animal share (such as humans and bears, or domestic dogs and wolves) to get an idea of how long ago the last common ancestor of both species lived. It perfectly corroborates the fossil record and is completely independently developed. It acts as yet another fatal blow to the “talking snake” theory.

Sixthly, the entire field of historical linguistics would have to be rewritten to accommodate the Bible. This discipline studies how languages develop and diverge over time. For example, Spanish and Italian are very similar and have a recent common “ancestor” language, Latin, as most people know. However, Russian is quite different and therefore either did not share a common root, or branched off much earlier in time. No respected linguist anywhere in the World traces languages back to the Tower of Babel, the creationists’ explanation for different languages. Indeed, American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, “true” Indians, Chinese, Mongols, Ja.panese, Sub-Saharan Africans and the Celts and other tribes of ancient Europe were speaking thousands of different languages thousands of years before the date creationist say the Tower of Babel occurred – and even well before the date they claim for the Garden of Eden.

Seventhly, lactose intolerance is also a clear vestige of human evolution. Most mammals only consume milk as infants. After infancy, they no longer produce the enzyme “lactase” that digests the lactose in milk and so become lactose intolerant. Humans are an exception and can drink milk as adults – but not all humans – some humans remain lactose intolerant. So which humans are no longer lactose intolerant? The answer is those who evolved over the past few thousand years raising cows. They evolved slightly to keep producing lactase as adults so as to allow the consumption of milk as adults. This includes most Europeans and some Africans, notably the Tutsi of Rwanda. On the other hand, most Chinese, native Americans and Aboriginal Australians, whose ancestors did not raise cattle, remain lactose intolerant.

I could go on and elaborate on a number of other disciplines or facts that creationists have to pretend into oblivion to retain their faith, including the Ice Ages, cavemen and early hominids, much of microbiology, paleontology and archeology, continental drift and plate tectonics, even large parts of medical research (medical research on monkeys and mice only works because they share a common ancestor with us and therefore our fundamental cell biology and basic body architecture is identical to theirs).

In short, and not surprisingly, the World’s most gifted evolutionary biologists, astronomers, cosmologists, geologists, archeologists, paleontologists, historians, modern medical researchers and linguists (and about 2,000 years of accu.mulated knowledge) are right and a handful of Iron Age Middle Eastern goat herders were wrong.

October 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Sly

The 40 million fossil records found were all fakes.

Big conspiracy.

Those were human-made dinosaur REPLICA's, and those evil conspirators actually had the gall to bury some of them miles deep in the earth.

October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Merloc91

How does anyone on earth even know how long a million years is? Most humans dont live past 100 years old. I find it amusing how people who think they are extremly intelligent have no answers for the simpilist questions. You talk about how human beings wrote the bible and its just a book. The same thing could be said about scientists who write books today. What makes them any more right than people 2000 years ago? Because you say so? I feel sorry for peope who are so close minded that they let their hatred for something they don't understand cloud their judgement.

October 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Merloc 91, the difference between a preacher and the scientist is that the scientist WILL go looking for something beyond the text: a preacher cannot, since that would undermine his faith.

October 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • charlotte

Sly is clearly uneducated and incapable of grasping actual scientific proof. Ignore him, he's just spewing lies to try and upset the more reasonable people (who aren't going to be interested in the bits and bytes he is wasting)

October 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • charlotte

Colin – good, if lengthy, points. Pearls before swine, however.

October 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Johnathain The Prophet

Look God,Jesus,and The Holy Ghost is real. We are related to animals because Jehovah created everything. The Bible Expains everything even Death. So there you go.

October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  19. lamb of dog

Awesome. They already got rid of the contact link on google. Keep it up.

October 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  20. Muhammud: Allah's Buddy, aka Friend of SATAN

HA HA HA AND YOU STUPID CHRISTIANS CALL MY PEOPLE STUPID?!?!?

LOLOLOL GO VOTE FOR OBAMA AND MY VICTORY WILL BE COMPLETE

October 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • charlotte

You really need to get a job.

October 10, 2012 at 4:11 pm |

hinduism, absurdity of a hindu, ignorant.

October 10, 2012 at 4:12 pm |