home
RSS
October 10th, 2012

Congressman draws fire for calling evolution, Big Bang ‘lies from the pit of hell’

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Washington (CNN) – A U.S. congressman is attracting attention and criticism for an online video that shows him blasting evolution and the Big Bang theory as “lies from the pit of hell” in a recent speech at a church event in his home state of Georgia.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, the Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell,” U.S Rep. Paul Broun said in an address last month at a banquet organized by Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Georgia. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

Broun, a medical doctor by training, serves on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

Speaking at Liberty Baptist Church’s Sportsman’s Banquet on September 27, he said that “a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old,” Broun said in the speech, which Liberty Baptist Church posted on its website via YouTube.  “I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says."

Scientists say that the Earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old and that the universe dates back 13.7 billion years.

In his speech to the church group, Broun called the Bible the “the manufacturer’s handbook. … It teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in our society.”

“That’s the reason, as your congressman, I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the congressman, Meredith Griffanti, said that Broun was not available for comment on Wednesday and that the video showed him “speaking off the record to a large church group about his personal beliefs regarding religious issues.”

The congressman’s remarks about science have drawn attention online, with critics taking aim at his role on the science committee.

Bill Nye, the popular science personality, told the Huffington Post in an e-mail that "Since the economic future of the United States depends on our tradition of technological innovation, Representative Broun's views are not in the national interest."

"For example, the Earth is simply not 9,000 years old," said Nye, a mechanical engineer and television personality best known for his program "Bill Nye the Science Guy." Broun "is, by any measure, unqualified to make decisions about science, space, and technology."

Talking Points Memo reported on the church video over the weekend after being tipped off by the Bridge Project, a progressive group that tracks conservative activity.

Most creationists believe in the account of the origins of the world as told in the Book of Genesis, the first book of the Bible.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

In the creation account, God creates Adam and Eve, the world and everything in it in six days.

For Christians who read the Genesis account literally, or authoritatively as they would say, the six days in the account are literal 24-hour periods and leave no room for evolution.  Young Earth creationists use this construct and biblical genealogies to determine the age of the Earth and typically come up with 6,000 to 10,000 years.

The Gallup Poll has been tracking Americans' views on creation and evolution for 30 years.  In June, it released its latest findings, which showed that 46% of Americans believed in creationism, 32% believed in evolution guided by God, and 15% believed in atheistic evolution.

– CNN's Eric Marrapodi contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Evolution • Politics • Science

soundoff (5,886 Responses)
  1. Ryan

This is absolutely disgusting. If people like this gain enough power, they'll set society back several milleniums...

Rational, logical, scientific thought is the work of the devil? Then I don't want to be a follower of god, bound by the words of fairy tales. Broun; "believe" all you want, but I'll be hanging down here in a little place I favorably call "reality."

October 11, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  2. Bender Bending Rodriguez

I was a god and I met God. So God does indeed exist.

October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  3. amanda

cukoo cukoo . Maybe he has alzheimer?

October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  4. Colin

A quick quiz that EVERY member of the United States House of Reprenetatives Committee on Science, Space and Technology should have to pass prior to taking their seats.

Q1. The completely absurd theory that all 7,000,000,000 human beings are simultaneously being supervised 24 hours a day, every day of their lives by an immortal, invisible being for the purposes of reward or punishment in the “afterlife” comes from the field of:

(a) Children’s fairytales;

(b) Medieval mythology;

(c) New age pseudo science; or

(d) Christianity

Q2. I honestly believe that, when I think silent thoughts like, “please god, help me pass my exam tomorrow,” some invisible being is reading my mind and will intervene and alter what would otherwise be the course of history in small ways to help me. I am

(a) a delusional schizophrenic;

(b) a naïve child, too young to know that that is silly

(c) an ignorant farmer from Sudan who never had the benefit of even a fifth grade education; or

(d) your average Christian

Q3. Millions and millions of Catholics believe that bread and wine turns into the actual flesh and blood of a dead Jew from 2,000 years ago because:

(a) there are obvious visible changes in the condiments after the Catholic priest does his hocus pocus;

(b) tests have confirmed a divine presence in the bread and wine;

(c) now and then their god shows up and confirms this story; or

(d) their religious convictions tell them to blindly accept this completely fvcking absurd nonsense.

Q. 4 I believe that an all powerful being, capable of creating the entire cosmos watches me have $ex to make sure I don't do anything "naughty". I am

(a) A victim of child molestation

(b) A r.ape victim trying to recover

(c) A mental patient with paranoid delusions

(d) A Christian

Q.5 You are about 70% likely to believe the entire Universe began less than 10,000 years ago with only one man, one woman and a talking snake if you are a:

(a) historian;

(b) geologist;

(c) NASA astronomer; or

(d) Christian

Q.6 I have convinced myself that gay $ex is a choice and not genetic, but then have no explanation as to why only gay people have ho.mo$exual urges. I am

(a) A failed psychologist

(b) A fraudulent geneticist

(c) A sociologist who never went to college; or

(d) A Christian with the remarkable ability to ignore inconvenient facts.

Q. 7 The only discipline known to often cause people to kill others they have never met and/or to commit suicide in its furtherance is:

(a) Architecture;

(b) Philosophy;

(c) Archeology; or

(d) Religion

Q.8 What is it that most differentiates science and all other intellectual disciplines from religion:

(a) Religion tells people not only what they should believe, but what they must believe under threat of divine retribution, whereas science, economics, medicine etc. has no “sacred cows” in terms of doctrine and go where the evidence leads them;

(b) Religion can make a statement, such as “there is one god comprised of God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit”, and be totally immune from experimentation and challenge, whereas science can only make factual assertions when supported by considerable evidence;

(c) Science and the scientific method is universal and consistent all over the World whereas religion is regional and a person’s religious conviction, no matter how deeply held, is clearly nothing more than an accident of birth; or

(d) All of the above.

Q.9 If I am found wandering the streets flagellating myself, wading into a filth river, mutilating my child’s genitals or kneeling down in a church believing that a being is somehow reading my inner thoughts and prayers, I am likely driven by:

(a) a deep psychiatric issue;

(b) an irrational fear or phobia;

(c) a severe mental degeneration caused by years of drug abuse; or

(d) my religious belief.

Q. 10 If I am worried that my children, who I love very much, will not believe something I tell them, such as "smoking is bad for you," I should:

(a) have our family doctor explain to them the various ill effects of smoking.

(b) show them a film produced by the National Inst.itute for Health on the topic.

(c) set a good example for them by not smoking; or

(d) refuse to give them any evidence of the ill effects of smoking, insist they rely on faith and then take them out into the backyard and burn them to death if I ever catch them smoking.

October 11, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Shakingmyhead

God Is , Was, and will always Be. You call it fairy tales and I call it Truth. Peace.

October 11, 2012 at 10:36 am |
    • mpouxesas

Hello Colin,
      May I borrow your post above to share at another forum?

October 11, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • Colin

You may indeed. Just mention that Colin said it......

October 11, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • mpouxesas

Thanks Colin, and of course I always mention and note the sources of my information.

October 11, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Derek

I love you man. All of your posts on here are incredible, and I wish more people would use just a little logic and truly take in and understand all the points you have put forward rather than clinging to their single story book as their answer for everything because someone brainwashed them to believing every word is entirely true and literal. 47% of people in this country still believe all life was created in it current form 6000-10000 years ago, so unfortunately I believe there is still a steep uphill battle. At the very least we are making progress, as atheists and agnostics are now the fastest growing "religious" groups. Keep putting the undeniably strong scientific proof and maybe we can enlighted more people a couple at a time.

October 11, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • itsallinyourhead

I agree – spot on with all of your posts! The best is when they pray for something and it doesn't happen and it simply turns into 'its in God's plan to be this way'. But when something bad happens they blame it on the devil instead of saying 'its in God's plan to be this way'. I was raised Catholic, Catholic school and all, and I have realized that it was all a bunch of bull. I have to seriously question someones 'plan' if it includes babies getting beaten to death, people suffering a slow painful death from cancer, losing all 4 limbs (or not being born with them for that matter), etc etc. Pretty F'd up way of showing your love.

October 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  5. ROMNEY2012

Romney, he's good enough for God. Shouldn't that be good enough for you?

October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Mike D

God is not good enough for me.

October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • God

Micheal Drake, I know you.
      I see into your soul.
      ... you'll need to order more chicken wings, you are almost out!

October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Luis Wu

Romney's god is on the planet Kolob. With any luck, maybe he'll join him there soon.

October 11, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • ME II

Hello Mr. Poe

October 11, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • mama k

He might be good enough for jail if they can get to the bottom of the flip-flopper's personal finances.

October 11, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Bob

The let God have him, if he'll take the lying weasel cultist.

October 11, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • rickinmo

Another moronic comment. A large portion of this country is out of touch with reality holding back progress just as religion has done for centuries. Until we take religion out of our legislative process, we will never be the kind of nation we should or could be.

October 11, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • fintastic

Mittens! I want my magic panties!!!!

October 11, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  6. DandyStryker

Folks may be interested to know that last spring the Mormon Church held a General Conference in which one of the "prophets, seers, and revelators" (a man named Nelson) got the Mormon audience laughing as he poked fun at evolution and the big bang.

Scientific illiteracy is all over the place. The alarming thing about Lund, however, is that he was *sustained* by Mitt Romney. The last thing we need is a Mormon President who "sustains" "prophets, seers, and revelators" who mock science.

October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am |
  7. JJ

This is embarrassing and frightening. How can someone who doesn't accept science be in such a position? This is like a flat Earther being on the board at NASA.

October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • mpouxesas

...this is scary. I wouldn't want this guy to be my doctor!

October 11, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  8. Skippy

What I find more disturbing...the balance of the article – 46% of our nation believes this premise to be true.

October 11, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  9. rick

Coo Coo!! need to remove him from any scientific committee and ask him to stay home in his district which actually sounds like the "pit of hell"

October 11, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  10. Colin

I will NEVER forget the day Paul Broun and his forth wife Mary came to my door.

Paul Broun: "Hi! I'm Paul Broun, and this is my fourth wife, Mary."

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Hi! We're here to invite you to come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me: "Pardon me?! What are you talking about? Who's Hank, and why would I want to kiss His ass?"

Paul Broun: "If you kiss Hank's ass, He'll give you a million dollars; and if you don't, He'll kick the guts out of you."

Me: "What? Is this some sort of bizarre mob shake-down?"

Paul Broun: "Hank is a billionaire philanthropist. Hank built this town. Hank owns this town. He can do whatever He wants, and what He wants is to give you a million dollars, but He can't until you kiss His ass."

Me: "That doesn't make any sense. Why..."

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Who are you to question Hank's gift? Don't you want a million dollars? Isn't it worth a little kiss on the ass?"

Me: "Well maybe, if it's legit, but..."

Paul Broun: "Then come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me: "Do you kiss Hank's ass often?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Oh yes, all the time..."

Me: "And has He given you a million dollars?"

Paul Broun: "Well no. You don't actually get the money until you leave town."

Me: "So why don't you just leave town now?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "You can't leave until Hank tells you to, or you don't get the money, and He kicks the guts out of you."

Me: "Do you know anyone who kissed Hank's ass, left town, and got the million dollars?"

Paul Broun: "My mother kissed Hank's ass for years. She left town last year, and I'm sure she got the money."

Me: "Haven't you talked to her since then?"

Paul Broun: "Of course not, Hank doesn't allow it."

Me: "So what makes you think He'll actually give you the money if you've never talked to anyone who got the money?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Well, maybe you'll get a raise, maybe you'll win a small lotto, maybe you'll just find a twenty-dollar bill on the street."

Me: "What's that got to do with Hank?"

Paul Broun: "In this town, Hank is the same as good luck. All good things are attributed to Hank'"

Me: "I'm sorry, but this sounds like some sort of bizarre con game."

Paul Broun: "But it's a million dollars, can you really take the chance? And remember, if you don't kiss Hank's ass He'll kick the guts out of you."

Me: "Maybe if I could see Hank, talk to Him, get the details straight from Him..."

His Fourth Wife Mary: "No one sees Hank, no one talks to Hank."

Me: "Then how do you kiss His ass?"

Paul Broun: "Sometimes we just blow Him a kiss, and think of His ass. Other times we kiss Karl's ass, and he passes it on."

Me: "Who's Karl?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "A friend of ours. He's the one who taught us all about kissing Hank's ass. All we had to do was take him out to dinner a few times."

Me: "And you just took his word for it when he said there was a Hank, that Hank wanted you to kiss His ass, and that Hank would reward you?"

Paul Broun: "Oh no! Karl has a letter he got from Hank years ago explaining the whole thing. Here's a copy; see for yourself."

From the Desk of Karl
    1. Kiss Hank's ass and He'll give you a million dollars when you leave town.
    2. Use alcohol in moderation.
    3. Kick the guts out of people who aren't like you.
    4. Eat right.
    5. Hank dictated this list Himself.
    6. The moon is made of green cheese.
    7. Everything Hank says is right.
    8. Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
    9. Don't use alcohol.
    10. Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments.
    11. Kiss Hank's ass or He'll kick the guts out of you.

Me: "This appears to be written on Karl's letterhead."

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Hank didn't have any paper."

Me: "I have a hunch that if we checked we'd find this is Karl's handwriting."

Paul Broun: "Of course, Hank dictated it."

Me: "I thought you said no one gets to see Hank?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Not now, but years ago He would talk to some people."

Me: "I thought you said He was a philanthropist. What sort of philanthropist kicks the guts out of people just because they're different?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "It's what Hank wants, and Hank's always right."

Me: "How do you figure that?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Item 7 says 'Everything Hank says is right.' That's good enough for me!"

Me: "Maybe your friend Karl just made the whole thing up."

Paul Broun: "No way! Item 5 says 'Hank dictated this list himself.' Besides, item 2 says 'Use alcohol in moderation,' Item 4 says 'Eat right,' and item 8 says 'Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.' Everyone knows those things are right, so the rest must be true, too."

Me: "But 9 says 'Don't use alcohol.' which doesn't quite go with item 2, and 6 says 'The moon is made of green cheese,' which is just plain wrong."

Paul Broun: "There's no contradiction between 9 and 2, 9 just clarifies 2. As far as 6 goes, you've never been to the moon, so you can't say for sure."

Me: "Scientists have pretty firmly established that the moon is made of rock..."

His Fourth Wife Mary: "But they don't know if the rock came from the Earth, or from out of space, so it could just as easily be green cheese."

Me: "I'm not really an expert, but I think the theory that the Moon was somehow 'captured' by the Earth has been discounted*. Besides, not knowing where the rock came from doesn't make it cheese."

Paul Broun: "Ha! You just admitted that scientists make mistakes, but we know Hank is always right!"

Me: "We do?"

His Fourth Wife Mary: "Of course we do, Item 7 says so."

Me: "You're saying Hank's always right because the list says so, the list is right because Hank dictated it, and we know that Hank dictated it because the list says so. That's circular logic, no different than saying 'Hank's right because He says He's right.'"

Paul Broun: "Now you're getting it! It's so rewarding to see someone come around to Hank's way of thinking."

Me: "But...oh, never mind.

October 11, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Mike D

I'm having USENET flashbacks.

October 11, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • BRC

I would like this more if it didn't make me sad that the people who need the lesson the most won't understand it.

October 11, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Paul

yes, BRC, yes. Because the ultimate failure is not in their beliefs, but in their critical thinking skills.

October 11, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • rickinmo

I've never met Hank or Karl but, I do kiss Hank's ass often. I don't really know if Hank will kick my guts out but, if he really would, I kiss his ass just to be sure I'm safe and when anyone asks me if I kiss Hank's ass, I tell them I do just to be safe. I know if I say I don't and they kiss Hank's ass they might kick the guts out of me because the letter told them to. I told one of them Hank's ass smells like the kitchen does when Grandma makes peach preserves. After that, I was invited to tell my story on The 600 Club. It went so well, they hired me full time to tell my story on every program. Believing the letter is the best thing that ever happened to me. I have a great job telling my story and people want to be like me. I am living proof that Hank is good and when Hank wants me to leave town maybe I can meet him and kiss his ass in person and really smell the peach preserves. His ass really does smell like peach preserves. Why else would Hank have rewarded me with a great job. Science should accept Hank because there is clearly a cause and effect relationship here and you can't convince me otherwise. I've lived it.

October 11, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  11. rlgesq1

The article concludes stating 78% believe in God making this all happen. As a JD licensed to the practice of law in Florida and DC, I have looked at the evolution data and I agree with the MD, the evidentiary gaps for evolution makes it every bit as religious as is creationism. One calls itself a theory the other faith, but there is the same zeal of the believer.

October 11, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Colin

What the hell does a law degree have to do with biology, history and paleontology?

October 11, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Luis Wu

How utterly stupid. There are mountains upon mountains of evidence for evolution, not just fossils, but in the plants and animals we see today, down to the molecular level. You're either lying about having "looked at the evolution data" or you only gave it a cursory glance. Evolution is based on DIRECT evidence that you can see, hold in your hand and study. Religion is based on ancient mythology and primitive superst!tion. Grow a brain.

October 11, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • ME II

@rlgesq1,
      Not that judges can/should decide science, apparently Federal Judge Jones disagreed with you.
      "The overwhelming evidence at trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory. " ... as opposed to the Theory of Evolution.
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District)

October 11, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Ed

I practice law in NY, so what? If you agree with the "doctor" you haven't seriously examined the evidence, or perhaps you've only read materials from authors who subscribe to your position at the outset and therefore focus on the "gaps" rather then the mountain of hard evidence out there. The evidence is so overwhelming that denying evolution is akin to insisting that the world is flat. Do your research counselor. You can start by reading Kitzmiller v. Dover PA School Board.

October 11, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • Mike D

Everyone interested in this topic should read Kitzmiller. Also, look up Dr. Ken Miller's excellent lecture on the Dover trial. It's available on Youtube.

October 11, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • TR6

So basically you’re saying “trust me because I’m a lawyer”. This is one step up from “trust me I’m a used car salesman”

October 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  12. Unbaptized John

Paul Broun reminds me of a Christopher Hitchens quote.
    "How dismal it is to see present day America yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape."
    America is going backwards in teaching science and math compared to the rest of the developed world because of the likes of Dr. Broun, wake up before it is too late.

October 11, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  13. Ron

You know what's funny to me? Republicans who are not afraid to stand up for the truths of the Word of God are blasted while Democrat pastors and Christian leaders are supporting a candidate who espouses things God hates.

October 11, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • Mike D

It's funny, but not for the reasons you think. I doubt you have any real idea what's at stake when you allow hillbillies like Broun to have their way with the scientific direction of this nation.

October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am |
    • ME II

Interesting...
      Broun is espousing things that contradict demonstrable facts.
      Your statements, on the other hand, are opinions.

October 11, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Luis Wu

You mean Republicans stand up for ancient mythology and primitive superst!tions while Democrats stand up for modern science. Wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge?

October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Bruce

How exactly do you know what god hates?

October 11, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  14. ArthurP

Either chemistry and physics work the way we think the do, in which case we do not need God, or they don't, in which case God is subservient to Man.

October 11, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  15. delaterra

Oh no... Either the Gallup poll or the CNN has a big problem with maths!! The percentage adds up to 103%!!

October 11, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Damocles

Ummm.... I get 93%.

October 11, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • delaterra

Oops sorry! I guess I read 15% as 25%. I have to review my own maths I guess, haha.

October 11, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Damocles

Heh I had to make triple sure that I was seeing the numbers right before I posted that! :)

October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  16. are you awake yet?

If you want to just sit there and pretend that this creationist is rare, then it is GAME OVER for american science. Because they can't prove their science, they will simply vote themselves in in mass number and remove the science they don't like. Hint: Creationist Romney removing funding from PBS. Broun has a creationist agenda for science, that is why another creationist voted him in to his position.
    I bet you are paying attention now.

October 11, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • SR

Romney does believe in evolution. I think you’re being a bit overly dramatic.

October 11, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Mark

These people only believe in scientific fact when it suits or promotes their political agenda or creates some new "satanic technology" that can be used to make them some MONEY!

October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • wake up

Then why does broun sit on the committee for science? Does he support evil lies from the pit of hell? Santorum tried to remove evolution from legistature (santorum amendment). There is a reason he is there. He doesn't say these comments in the committee but expresses them freely in church.

October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  17. Mark

creationism...blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, Jesus Christ...blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, Ronald Reagan...blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,The Apocalypse. The never ending never changing republican mantra.

October 11, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • SR

There better be an apocalypse in December. At least, there better be. You see, I made a bet that the world ended as people believe the Mayans predicted. If it doesn’t end, then I’m going to lose quite a bit of money.

October 11, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  18. Gonan

Are you saying because gravity exists there is no God? Are you really that retarded?

What does a programmer do, after he designs a program let's say Windows for example. The designer gives it rules, he puts limitations on what the program is allowed to do, and what boundaries it can overcome. The program allows for inputed data, and outgoing information does it not?

So why is it so hard to believe that God made the whole Universe and everything in it? God made all the laws, physics, and everything you see in the known Universe. This is why there is gravity, black holes, etc to keep everything from falling apart. There are still many things not known to man that would still prove to man that God is the Divine Creator and Being that made everything we have today.

If a man can write a program in a few days, how can God the most powerful being in our realm, be questioned on His power? God made everything, and after Satan was thrown out of Heaven, Satan and his angels came to Earth to ruin God's perfect Creation. The root cause of this is sin as you know it. God sent the Flood to destroy man's wickedness and this is where you get your wonderful dinosaur bones in the ground. Also the Earth had layers and layers of water in it's atmosphere protecting man, and making Earth a tropical paradise all around. That's why you find mammoth's with fresh grass in their stomachs even in the arctic.

God also states on how the world will end. Europe will go to one denomination of coin, information will be accessed at your fingertips (cell phones), natural disasters and wars and threats of wars will grow greatly. All from Satan to get you to believe the anti-christ when he comes to falsely save the world.

This man is a believe in God the Savior, and who are you to tell him he's not allowed, or unfit to be a doctor? This guy is probably 30 times smarter than you, and he should be able to tell you instead that you are unfit for your work and education just based on iq alone.

Least you forget, this country was built on God fearing men, you should not forget that.

In closing, you can believe what you want, but it's your soul that will perish. God says in the Bible that every living man, woman or child will DENY Him, and they are punishable to damnation in hell. When you move on, you will definitely wish you never died.

October 11, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Mike D

I'm not worried about my soul. Buddha says it's cool for me to believe what I want as long as I'm good to people.

October 11, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • TheRationale

*Sigh*

1. Falsifiability. We could all just as well be in the Matrix. If your idea can't be disproven, it's irrelevant.
      2. Burden of proof. You have a lot of propositions, yet have stated nothing to back them up (and what you have doesn't form a cogent argument – see #1).

Learn logical reasoning and I doubt you'll hold those views any longer.

October 11, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Cathy

Just to let you in on a little secret,programs take years sometimes to perfect.You sir,are a bible thumper,plain and simple.AND technologically ignorant.No,I'm not an atheist,just a realist computer tech. The bible is a guideline,not a rule book, but you sheep will still blame all of your beliefs on it.Its a BOOK written by MEN! Grow a pair and wake up, Broun,Akin,Walsh and the nutjob from Florida are extremists,are you one too?

October 11, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Missy

Well, people use to believe that gravity was God holding people down, but now we understand it better. Long ago, before science could explain what was really happening, "God dunit" was the catch all answer for everything. With every passing year there are fewer and fewer things that are still really unknown, thus fewer gaps for God to be employed in. Basically, the more we learn, or lose our ignorance, the less need there is for God as an answer.

October 11, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • Damocles

@Gonan

A program has limits because its creators, humans, have limits. Are you limiting your deity?

October 11, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Jen

Gonan, I think your GOD should do better than a flesh&blood programmer...why his program seems messed up? Not a good programmer, is he?

October 11, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  19. Jack Hargreaves

I've got news for you Congressman, could come as a bit of a shock, so you might want to be sitting down when you hear this.

The Earth is not flat.

October 11, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Damocles

@Jack

You should say Flat instead of flat. Believers like to capatalize random words, gives them More Importance.

October 11, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  20. Joe

So what about a Led Zeppelin Reunion?

October 11, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Joe

Anyone going to see the movie Wednesday?

October 11, 2012 at 10:11 am |