home
RSS
Pope canonizes 7 new saints
October 21st, 2012

Pope names first Native American saint

By Laura Smith-Spark, CNN

(CNN) - Sunday was a big day for Catholics in North America. Thousands of miles away in Rome, Pope Benedict XVI named 17th century Mohawk Kateri Tekakwitha the first Native American saint.

Another newly named saint is Marianne Cope, a German-born woman who emigrated to the United States as a child, became a nun and went on to devote 30 years of her life helping lepers in Hawaii.

Their canonization, along with that of five other saints, was celebrated at a special Mass in St. Peter's Square Sunday morning.

"This is a great weekend for America in the Vatican, and it's really a great weekend for Native Americans. Sainthood is the guarantee that this person is close to God," said Vatican senior communications adviser Greg Burke.

"There's a vast history of people the Catholic Church has made saints over the centuries. Holiness is absolutely a matter of equal opportunity, but this certainly is special because it marks the first time a Native American becomes a saint."

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Pope Benedict XVI • Vatican

1. Mac

The justices' decision will likely resolve an ongoing battle between scientists who believe that genes carrying the secrets of life should not be exploited for commercial gain

December 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  2. Road Runner

The pope named a Native American saint after the the church spread smallpox throughout the Americas? I guess that's might white of him!

November 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • Road Runner

"mighty white of him." Sorry about the typo.

November 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  3. gulpoff

My Sainted Mother may still have a chance...

November 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  4. WillieLove

CATHOLIC TRADITION – The mass. Through transubstantiation, the wafer/host and the wine supposedly become the actual blood and body of Jesus Christ when the priest prays over them. He is supposed to be sacrificed over and over again on Roman Catholic altars.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – Jesus died once for sins, never to be repeated. He sits on the right hand of God and does not reappear in the mass as a mass of blood and flesh.

Hebrews
    10:12 But this man [Jesus], after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
    10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
    10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
    10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
    10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
    10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
    John
    19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

1 Corinthians
    11:24 And when he [Jesus] had given thanks, he brake it [bread], and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come (not for the forgiveness of sins or to receive Jesus).

October 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
  5. WillieLove

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Venerating/worshipping images. Pope bows to statues of Mary, Catholics worship the eucharist and have statues/candles in their homes and churches.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – It is idolatry to venerate images. We are not even supposed to make them.

Exodus
    20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
    20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God...

October 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  6. WillieLove

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Mary is the mother of God.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – Mary is the mother of the earthly Jesus, not God. Jesus pre- existed from everlasting as God (see John 1:1). When he came to redeem mankind, he laid aside his glory and was made like unto sinful man so that he could take our punishment (Hebrew 2:9). God has no mother. He has lived from everlasting which means he had no beginning.

Isaiah
    43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. [If Mary gave birth to God, she'd be God.]
    Psalm
    93:2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

Micah
    5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler [Jesus] in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Philippians
    2:6 Who [Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

October 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  7. WillieLove

CATHOLIC TRADITION – Mary is the queen of heaven.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS – Worshipping the queen of heaven (which is not the Mary of the Bible) is worshipping another god and it provokes the Lord to anger.

Jeremiah
    7:17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
    7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
    7:19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the LORD: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?

October 28, 2012 at 12:17 pm |