home
RSS
November 3rd, 2012

My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Jesus

Editor's Note: Mark Schloneger is pastor of North Goshen Mennonite Church in Goshen, Indiana.

By Mark Schloneger, Special to CNN

It seems frivolous, even foolish.

On Tuesday, as the world turns its attention to who will occupy the most powerful office of the world’s most powerful nation, hundreds of churches will gather across the United States to worship a servant.

As votes are counted to elect a president, thousands of Christians will take the bread and the cup to remember their crucified Lord.

As winners are projected and the electoral map is updated, Christians of many denominations will sing their praises and proclaim their loyalty to Jesus.

It seems ridiculous, even silly.

After all, America is at a crossroads, and we are in the midst of one of the most critical presidential elections of our lifetimes. We know this because people have recited this same tired mantra before every presidential election.

How the White House changed Barack Obama’s faith

Our fears, our hopes, our worries and our struggles are the currency that buys our votes. And how do politicians and their supporters acquire this precious currency? They invest billions of dollars to foment fear, inspire hope, create worry and exploit our struggles.

It’s a power play. Some of us are pawns, and some of us are participants. But some of us are choosing a different part.

I initiated the Election Day Communion Campaign out of a concern that Christians in the United States are being shaped more by the tactics and ideologies of political parties than by our identity and unity in Christ. Out of this concern, a simple vision sparked the imaginations of congregations nationwide: the church being the church on Election Day, gathering at the Lord’s Table to remember, to give thanks for, and to proclaim its loyalty to Jesus.

The making of a candidate: Mitt Romney’s faith journey

Gathering for Communion on Election Day seems fitting, for the practice of Communion is an inherently political act. It is both a pledge of allegiance to Jesus and a declaration of independence from all other powers making claims on our bodies, minds and souls.

Far too often, the church has abandoned its first love for the siren song of political parties promising protection, prosperity and peace. Far too many times, the church has ceded the practice of its faith to the spiritual and the private while leaving others to address matters of justice. And far too frequently, the church has attempted to speak truth to power while seeking and relying on that same power for protection.

The bread and the cup are God’s antidotes to our fickle memories. As we eat and drink together, we remember that all things fall under the lordship of Christ. We remember our sin and need to repent.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

We remember that God has lifted up the humble, filled the hungry with good things, and chosen to reveal God’s strength through our weakness.

We remember that the only Christian nation in this world is the church, the holy nation that transcends all human-made walls, boundaries and borders.

As we gather at the table, we remember that the power to redeem, to save, and to transform comes not from atop the seat of power but from within the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

We will gather for Election Day Communion not because we think that the issues at stake in this election are unimportant or that our votes don’t really matter. No, we will gather for Communion because we think that the issues at stake in all elections are far too important to be relegated to our votes alone.

The Lord’s Supper reminds followers of Jesus to practice the politics of Jesus. To me, practicing the politics of Jesus means working to protect the sanctity of all human life, whether it is found in the womb, in prison, or in countries at war against us.

It means choosing the way of forgiveness and reconciliation rather than vengeance and violence. It means practicing an economy based on generosity and mutual aid.

It means offering care and compassion to suffering people regardless of their immigration status, economic class or religious practice.

It means being good stewards of God’s good creation. And, most of all, it means allowing God’s kingdom to break into the entirety of our lives, from the privacy of our homes to the politics we practice in public.

The bread and the cup keep calling me back to the table inscribed with memory. There, I remember God’s choice for the transfer of power. There, I remember where to go with my fears, my hopes, my worries and my struggles. At the table, with my sisters and brothers, I am in the presence of the Holy.

Though I’m interested in the outcome of the presidential election, I won’t be watching the projected results as they are announced. I’ve made a prior commitment. I intend to honor it.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mark Schloneger.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Belief • Christianity • Politics

soundoff (3,435 Responses)
  1. terre haute

If I express my views openly, I will lose friends, alienate family, limit my career opportunities, never hold office at any level, and be persecuted by those who find me "evil". It is not enough that I hide my views. I must act as if I think otherwise to show others that I am just like them. If I do not, I will be shunned. I lam American, but cannot openly enjoy it's most basic rights.

I am not Christian.

November 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • tucsand

For a country that is so strong about our individuality we sure do censor it enough?

November 4, 2012 at 11:30 am |
    • nojinx

Very well said.

November 4, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Then stop acting like one, you idiot.

November 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
    • Moby Schtick

VERY well said, terra haute. I wish more religious folks in the US understood the position they put us in.

November 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Buddy

The sad truth is that no one cares what you are !! It's only when you attack what others believe that makes your actually and truly evil. If you don't believe in any type of higher power....that's what you believe....people do an will accept that....you know that down deep, I imagine. It's when you attack in such a hateful way, that alerts others to beware of your hatred

November 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • DREAM15X

Really? Honestly? I am a Christian attending Baptist and Catholic Churches and I have agnostic and atheist friends. We have discussed each others belief or non belief system and we don't really argue, we are just curious what the other thinks and believes and why. As a Christian it is not my place to shove my belief and value system down a non believers throat, I am pretty certain that is not what God wants. I do want the best for my friends and I hope and pray I see them in the New Jerusalem.

November 4, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • tucsand

Buddy when you hear something negative or false about a group you belong to of course your going to speak up for it.

November 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Buddy

tucsend

Ahh....but it appears to me like you look for it......otherwise you wouldn't be at this site........this is a site that proclaims information about something you don't believe in.....so why enter it an attack the people that do? It' dosn't tell me anything about your belief, but promotes hatred and chaos among some nice people

November 4, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

DREAM15X, yup narrow path, broad path. There's a reason for that and why we have the 66.6%ers. .............Zec 13:8 And it shall come to pass, [that] in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off [and] die; but the third shall be left therein.'

November 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • Chutzpah

I hear ya, terre haute.

On top of which, you have to listen to endless yapping about how THEY'RE being oppressed.

November 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Tim in MN

Well said. Thanks for pointing out this indelible truth. Funny how truth will bring out the worst comments from others that simply will not accept it.

November 4, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • tucsand

Buddy I guess I don't understand what your saying but for a country that is so strong on our right of free speech we sure do tell people what they can and cannot say more and more. If you do not fight for your right of free speech it can disappear.

November 4, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Why would you do that? You're not being true to your god, your belly. No rewards now and no rewards later? Doe not compute.

November 4, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Buddy, you are mistaken. This is NOT a site that "proclaims" anything. It's a blog. It's not yours and you don't get to tell others to leave just because they offend you. There is NO requirement that people who post here believe just because it's a "Belief Blog." If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure such sites exist. Don't try to make over this blog the way some of your ilk are attempting to make over the nation, into your own personal church.

November 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Moby Schtick

@Anybody know how to read

You idiot, the "rewards" are now, that's the entire point of the opening post, disph!t. In certain parts of the US you wouldn't dare be honest about your nonbelief, I've done it and I've seen others do it, and we're all "back in the closet." There's only so many times you can lose your job, get your tires slashed, and receive threats from people who claim to be "acting out of love."

November 4, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Wait, wait, I see now. You want the benefits of living in a society that has a smidgen of civilizing Christianity but don't want to actually believe. Can't help ya there, bud. Too much like the gays blaming society for gettin' depressed.

November 4, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • NoWingNutsAllowed

Once again they cry poor poor pitiful me. All the while they have butchered countless so called heretics for not believing as they do.

November 4, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • ConcernedC

@terre haute You have my ardent sympathies, I feel the same way as you do. As someone who has lived extensively and traveled abroad, the current American society strikes me as a tad off the rocker and scary, to say the least. This is no longer the land of the Free and the Brave , but the land of Conforming & Hypocrisy Galore. It is all about keeping up a (right wing) Christian appearance here just to survive the current down economy. Of course the discrimination against the so called non believers is very insidious and subtle, thus making it very hard to prove in a court of law – but it is definitely there. Of course the Extreme Left is also to partly blame, for taking some views that belie common sense. What many Americans don't realize is that many Europeans and Asians view our society as slowly slipping back into the Dark Ages, consumer-ate with our decline as a global power of reason, moderation and freedom, the current view is that we are slowly but surely becoming a "Christian version" of Saudi Arabia. Whatever happened to the Good Ol' US of A? Where did we go so off track, and veer into these extreme, non-scientific and irrational directions?

November 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Moby Schtick, the slaughter of Christians is right around the corner. That's what the dufus gubmint sanctioned, certified, licensed and approved preacher should be getting his flock ready to experience. I'd hate to see them cryin' like the atheists.

November 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@Anyone know how to read

Wow, you're pretty fvcking stupid, I guess. We nonbelievers have to go along to get along like women have to go along to get along with the Taliban. I doubt you'd make the same remarks to them for the exact reason that you shouldn't be making those stupid remarks here to atheists.

November 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Oh, sorry, Anybody know.. I didn't realize you were a lying fvckwad. I'll not make the mistake of attempting sense and logic with you from now on. Do carry on as you were.

November 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Anybody know how to read?

ConcernedC, whatever happened to the ol' USA? You went carnal and enjoyed the gud life on credit. It was all a fantasy. Now pay up.

November 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • ConcernedC

@Anyone who knows how to read
      My apologies sir, but you seem to have a Simpleton's view of the world! Nobody went carnal who wasn't that way already, most Americans I know of are realistic, family minded and down to earth individuals and do NOT live in fantasyland. In case you have suddenly developed amnesia, the down fall happened in the so called Christian Administration of George W, pursuing a needless war, boosting the war machine that cost the Nation over $4 Trillion and then cutting taxes for the rich, when we actually needed the money the MOST to finance our wars – that was just plain DUMB! Of course they will always continue to get away with this, as long as there are ignorant simpletons like you to brainwash in the name of Christ, to go vote for them.

November 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  2. Brian W

Muslim yell Allah, Christians yell Jesus.
    Both are religious extremists.

November 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • DUMP hINDU FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, CHRISTIANITY, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

Son of blessed Mary and Mohammad did not preach religion but consti tution of truth absolute GOD, religions are hinduism, corruption of truth absolute by hindu, criminal to promote hinduism, racism.

November 4, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • truth be told

Could you cite an example of Christians yelling Jesus?

November 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  3. My Wife

Won't go down on me. Is that your god's fault as well?

November 4, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • Buddy

nah....you are just an ugly little person

November 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • My Wife

@ Buddy: but God made me that way, right? Ipso facto it IS God's fault. Stupid God>

November 4, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • Buddy

Hey troll......run along now......

satan made you ugly...inside......your pathetic

November 4, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • My Wife

Hey, Buddy – did you graduate from public school? Do you know when to use "your"- the possessive form, as opposed to "you're", which is the contraction of "you are"? No. I didn't think so. Or, maybe you actually went to high school, but are just terminally stupid. Which of the two might it be, buddy boy? And please – do take your (as opposed to you're) time composing your (as opposed to you're) answer.

November 4, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • terre haute

God is either omnipotent and omniscient, or he's not.

November 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  4. 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Just another believer charlatan acting out his version of Harry Potter. . .

November 4, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  5. Rainer Braendlein

I know in the USA there are very many Free Churches which don't appreciate sacramental baptism but only a distored baptism which follows conversion, and is an act of obedience.

Of course, the mainline churches like the Roman Catholic Church abuse sacramental baptism because they don't teach that baptism is a call for discipleship. Beside papacy is an abomination in itself because the pope has stolen Christ's office as head of the Church. Also Protestant churches abuse sacramental baptism by teaching the cheap grace.

However, the Resurrected One is good, and he doesn't depend on any church. Hence, simply join the invisible Jesus. and he will improve your life, and lead you to the real church.

If you have received infant baptism, just remember that, and start to live as a Christian right now in Jesus power.

If you have not yet been baptized, I am ready to baptize you in the name of Jesus.

November 4, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd rather be shot by a firing squad than have you do anything to me or near me.

November 4, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • TC

No one wants to join your heretical sect. If you are going to follow Christianity – do some self study and learn what the real messages are.

November 4, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • My Name is Legion

Rainman
      But you love them all, everyone you refer to in your post, even old Ratzinger himself, hypocrite. 666

November 4, 2012 at 11:30 am |
  6. Robert Marsh

A Jesus freak telling me what I should or shouldn't believe in. Just what I need.

November 4, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Buddy

Then just sign off.....this is an article about religion.....you my friend sounds like you have nothing going on but hate

November 4, 2012 at 11:23 am |

Jesus is hinduism, fabrication to promote hinduism, racism, nothing else nothing more.

November 4, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • Brian W

Buddy, Religion is just brain washing of the weak minded, if you were born in the mid east you would be yelling Allah.

November 4, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Name*kacee

What is amazing to me is that you people are so against a religion and a God that preaches to love one another, not to lie, cheat or steal. Is that so horrible?
      Better than Islam which teaches you should go out and kill everyone that doesn't believe as you do.

November 4, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • terre haute

@Buddy.

Actually, this is an article about the role of faith in our political system. This is a CNN page about 'belief', not Christianity. Just because you're in the majority doesn't mean that others don't get their say as well.

The First Amendment is SO bothersome when it supports someone else's ideas instead of yours, huh?

November 4, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  7. Sheri

Were you aware that Mitt Romney doesn't pray to the same god you do? LDS believes Adam is the god of the earth & when he dies he's going to get his own planet that he will be the god of. You best read into the Mormon religion before you open your mouth.

November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • Name*kacee

Obama doesn't pray to the same god either. I wonder how many virgins he was promised if he ruined this country.

November 4, 2012 at 11:22 am |

Just another form of hinduism, fabrication, by hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, Rock of America,

November 4, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  8. Satans right hand man

Adults still believing in an imaginary deity in the sky judging their thoughts and actions is just tragic... I used to not care but now you people repulse me... you act as anchors to us moving our species forward... your religous voodoo cults are steadily dying off and it can't come soon enough.....

November 4, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Buddy

Hey satan

If your repulsed.....why don't you just run along.....YOU don't belong here.....your a little off, if you know what I mean.....big smiles

November 4, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • Don Camp

Perhaps you should take another look. Christianity (and religion in general) is not going away, not here in the United States and not out there in the wider world.

November 4, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • terre haute

@Buddy.

Said it once, I'll say it again. This is a CNN page about 'belief', not 'Evangelical Christianity'. This board is for people to post their comments about the article, and about belief in general. If you're not open to that, then perhaps YOU don't belong here.

Stop trying to silence people because they disagree with you. Whether it's religion or anything else, if you won't/can't articulate why you believe something, then how do you know if it's really what you believe?

November 4, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • terre haute

@Don Camp.

Fair points. I do disagree though. Statistically, Christianity IS going away. 33% of the world's population is Christian, down from 40% just 10 years ago. 55% of global Christians are Catholic, which many demoninations in the U.S. do not even consider Christian. The remaining 45% includes Mormons, which, from the comments on this board, aren't universally considered Christian either.

You belong to a sizeable slice of the religious pie, but it's hardly a majority, and it's hardly growing. If you take out Catholics, it's actually a smaller slice globally than "non-believers/non-religious".

November 4, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  9. TXTIZZY

This guy is voting for Barack Obama. Mormonism is not a Christian. Romney is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Romney is not a Christian.

November 4, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Yeah, but Romney wears magical underwear! You WANT a president who wears magical underwear, right?

November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • John

I can only assume that Magic Underwear was what our founding fathers wanted in a leader.

November 4, 2012 at 11:26 am |
    • Don Camp

Read again. I don't think this guy is voting at all, except for Jesus.

November 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  10. Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

To the author: Pastor Mark, why did your God just kill all of those people with his hurricane? Why did he injure so many? Make so many homeless? If a person committed such atrocities they would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Your god is a monster.

November 4, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • TC

You posted hitler was a devout catholic – since the statement is totally false and shows your lack of knowledge – I assume everything else you post is inaccurate.

November 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

No – my post is accurate – you are misinformed. Fortunately, I care not a whit about what you think.

November 4, 2012 at 11:32 am |
  11. DUMP hINDU FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, CHRISTIANITY, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

hindu's blinded leading hindu, blinded, game of hindu Magi's, criminal tricksters to stay in business of hinduism, denial of truth absolute, let it be hindu's, ignorant preachers, speaking not of truth absolute GOD, nor hindu atheist, ignorant self centered, secular s. rode with a hindu blinded driver, BET ON A WRACK, YOU WILL NEVER LOOSE.

Expect nothing better but mayhem among humanity by following of hinduism, denial of truth absolute, Allah, and following of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism, neither commanded, nor allowed in Islam as a religion, but Theen Allah, consti tution of truth absolute. Foundation of American consti tution.
    Shiaism
    hindu Mithra ism, savior ism invented little over 100 years after Sydana Mohammad pbh by tribes of Kujar of north Africa and imposition as Fatmid Khalaphit by force by denial of Hidth and Quran, justified by hindu Judaism, pagan secularism to impose hinduism, racism by hindu, fabricated relationship with Family of Syadana Mohammad pbh to justify existence of hindu criminal Kings, a violation of fundamental commandment, human equality under the LA. truth absolute Allah. Cause of conflict among Muslim's and cause of down fall of Muslim's and Islam in Spain.

Sunisim, invented by Turk's by corruption of Quran and hidth to justify existence of hindu King's as Khalipha, after death of Ruler Mohammad, but later renamed, Mehmmat, wisdom of spirit of truth by siblings from his Armenian wife, follower of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism in 13th century.

Christianity, invented by hinduism,. corruption of truth absolute by hindu Pharisees, pagan self centered, follower of hindu filthy pig ism by corrupted Torah, known as Greek Torah, translated and commented by Ben Asheer in 250 AD in Yiddish, secularist, self centered language, also known as Old Testament, part of book of Mithra ism labeled as Bible. A way to justify hindu criminal Kings and self proclaimed Prophets, fortune tellers as god's to rule over humanity.

JUDAISM, Self center ism, pig ism, or Atheism, invented by hindu's pagan's of Egypt by corruption of truth absolute in Torah to Justify hindu pagan Pharaoh's and their hindu pagan Santans, goons as god's to rule over humanity with impunity.

HAVE hINDUISM, CORRUPTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, RELIGIONS AND LIVE WITH MAYHEM, AS HAS BEEN THE CASE FROM hIND, DARK AGES TILL TODAY. FOLLOW THEEN ALLAH, CONSTI TUTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, ALLAH , GOD AND THE LORD, FOUNDATION OF CONSTI TUTION OF AMERICA TO HAVE PEACE AMONG HUMANITY. To learn more please visit truthisthelimit.com
    word hindu is based on Latin word hindered, negative, Hun, great, Han, to be in greatness, hin, to be negative to both of them, hindu, a noun in negativity, hinduism, way of negativity.
    Visit limitisthetruth.com to learn about hinduism, criminality of hindu's, criminals to impose hinduism, racism on humanity by hinduism, corruption of truth absolute by force.

November 4, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  12. tucsand

One thing confusing at times is if God loves all of us then why does it matter what religion is the right one to reach him or her with. Why do we go about proving or loyalty to our God. Isn't religion just a tool to control people before there were governments?. Don't forget Jesus never practiced religion he preached the word of God or his father.

November 4, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • TC

And your statement is totally false – Jesus was Jewish and practied the Jewish faith – get some education

November 4, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • tucsand

TC your wrong he preached the words of father, Christianity didn't exist then.

November 4, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • TC

Wow – your comeback is I'm wrong. Again, get some education and actually read and learn the Bible. Jesus was a Jew and practiced as such.

November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am |

JESUS IS hINDUISM, FABRICATION OF HINDU'S, RACIST, SON OF BLESSED MARY WAS NOT A hINDU JEW, FILTHY SECULAR, BUT A HEBREW, DEDICATED TO TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD, ELLOHIM, HINDU, IGNORANT.

November 4, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Christianity is a family thing for members of the 'one blood'. Gubmint bully types are not wanted.

November 4, 2012 at 11:25 am |

do you mean hinduism, criminality called Mafia, ism, a family business.

November 4, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • Don Camp

It depends on your definition of religion. Jesus was a Jew, and he took part in various Jewish religious activities. The feasts come to mind, as well as synagogue attendance.

But if you mean the religion of the Pharisees, no, Jesus was not into legalism. What he was into was reality. Real connection with the Father. Real love for people. Real actions that would follow the faith we profess.

November 4, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  13. jcc

November 4, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Buddy

Great point

November 4, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • TC

And both dabbled in the occult as well to harness what they thought may be power to control

November 4, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Yeah, except that Hitler was a devout Catholic.

November 4, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • NoWingNutsAllowed

Actually they were raised in the church.

November 4, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • TC

Oh a person with their own version of history – a Catholic huh? Guess that's why Cathokics and priests were exiled and many died in th econcentration camps – read about Max Kolbe and get some education.

November 4, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • tucsand

Why should it matter to you what someone wants to believe or not believe its none of your business or anyone else's, in our country we have freedom of religion and if I choose to practice witchcraft I'll practice it, if I choose to worship nothing that's my choice not yours.

November 4, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • tucsand

All the Catholic religion is is a bunch of grown men who are child molesters hiding behind religion.

November 4, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • TC

@tucsand – you know nothing of the christian religion – you are completely uneducated – probably a baptist

November 4, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Nancy

"Hitler, Stalin two aatheist leaders. It is easy to blame religion on all the worlds problems but non belivers are responsible for the greatest violations."

Ummm Hitler was a Catholic, talked about God all the time. Google it. Stalin only believed in Stalin. Hitler was a brilliant crazy person. Stalin was a brilliant dictator. Neither of them did what they did to their people because they were so called atheists.

November 4, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • TC

@ nancy – yeah hitler talk about god all the time as he sent countless catholics and priests to thier death. You are an uneducated poster – learn something about Max Kolbe.

November 4, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Don Camp

How is it that misinformation like Hitler being a devout Catholic gets repeated over and over. Is history not taught in high school any more? Are the people who repeat such nonsense not able to read? Are they simply so comfortable with ignorance that they will not look into the facts?

The solution is fairly easy. Ask a Catholic who comes from Europe.

November 4, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • visitor

Hitler was a Catholic and a Psycho. Is that clear enough for some of you?

Or do you deny that Good Catholics can actually be Psycho? Goodness knows how many suicides were covered up by Catholics all those years. And pedophilia.

November 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • visitor

Oh and Don Camp, my mother IS a WWII refugee, a former Nazi war slave and a Catholic.

There were an awful lot of Europeans who collaborated with the Germans, good Church Going God Fearing Christians. You think Hitler did all that damage all by himself? Get real.

November 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • visitor

Yes Don Camp, it is taught in school that Fascism is a right-wing conservative political philosophy. Which is why Hitler went after all the Trade Unionist and Socialist.

And yet, how many of you right wingers claim Hitler was a socialist?

My mother is disgusted by the stupidity and is voting for Obama.

November 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • truth be told

To those that actually know history hitler was an atheist.

November 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • visitor

Those that know history know that Jews were rounded up by all sorts of people who called themselves Christians. EUROPEANS know this. SOME Americans are very ignorant.

November 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • visitor

By the way I am not equating pedophilia, mental illness and suicide as equals. My point is, Catholics as well as anyone else are capable of the entire spectrum of the human condition. Some Catholics just like to deny that.

November 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • truth be told

The term "christian" is loosely applied to Europe and not accurate. hitler as an atheist was as equally anxious to dispatch real Christians as he was to dispatch the Jews.

November 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  14. bobby

The most christian president we have ever had is Barack Obama. He has done more things which Christ would do than any US president. Many people think Republicans are Christians. Would Christ be for war, violence, withholding love and support, as Republicans are prone to do?

November 4, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Name*kacee

Wow...you have been drinking the Kool Aid.

November 4, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • TC

So you are naive enough to believe that certain repubes or dums are for you and the common citizen? Open your eyes they could care less about you or me.

November 4, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Anybody know how to read?

Nobody gets blessed when the gubmint does the givin' and takin'.

November 4, 2012 at 11:28 am |
  15. Civil debater

One last thing CNN. I really hope the Romney administration puts the smack down on your left leaning organization.

November 4, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

hahahhaha. Sure, because CNN is at the very root of all our woes.

November 4, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • TC

Yeah like Fox knows how to report truth. losers

November 4, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • david

Yeah, we only want the garbage sent out by FOX...at least CNN occasionally stumbles on facts.

November 4, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Civil debater

TC, your name calling defines you. Shameful.

November 4, 2012 at 11:17 am |
    • Name*kacee

CNN is a bunch of crock. I don't know how they call themselves journalists.

November 4, 2012 at 11:20 am |
    • visitor

Of course you do. Fascists are like that.

November 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • truth be told

Where are you visiting from?

November 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
  16. Rainer Braendlein

Don't always resist the Holy Spirit but come to Jesus who himself will replace your egoism with his love.

If you have "eaten" the Bread of Life, you will start to love your neighbour.

November 4, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You are terminally boring, Rainer.

November 4, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • TC

Good statement but you don't know real Christianity only your heretical cult.

November 4, 2012 at 11:12 am |
    • TC

Your fake priests cannot enact transubstantiation

November 4, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • My Name is Legion

Rainman...This from the most egotistical poster on this blog, who tells everyone how much he loves them, then proceeds to shoot them down by telling them how wrong they are about their beliefs, What a joke you are Rainer. (bad joke) 666

November 4, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • dd

Hooray! Thanks to you Mr. Rain, I finally understand the meaning of one of the first words my father ever taught me to say: "antidisestablishmentarianism". I googled "confessing church" and learned it was a movement within the Protestant churches in Germany that worked to oppose the Nazis...(and also the definition of the word). Thank you for your post.

November 4, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  17. Diana

Interesting to me that so called Christians for voting for a Mormon whose faith is not unlike the Hindu and other pagan religions. I am using the Christian term for non believers of Christ as your personal savior. I was taught to believe that pagans believed in many gods. Well Mormon are pagans, according to what I was taught – so maybe Christians have decided to vote for the anti Christ.

Anyway, not my beliefs – only what I was taught. I am voting for Obama because he is consistent. Romney is going to change his mind when the wind blows or when he feels pressure from one of his many high priced, or foreign supporters. I cannot vote for a man I cannot trust.

November 4, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • TC

Romney or Obama – both belong to organzations that are killing the country. Doesn't matter who you vote for but you should vote.

November 4, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • WHO NEEDS AN ENEMY, WITH A hINDU, INFIDEL FRIEND CHRISTIAN.

Keep your hindu, pagan Mithra ism savior ism for your self, hindu fabrication called Jesus is nothing but a tool to impose hinduism, racism on humanity, be a hindu gentile, ignorant slave all you want, your hinduism, fabrication Jesus has no place in America.

November 4, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  18. Paul Falduto

This guy has the right to his beliefs, but there is nothing here we haven't heard thousands of times before. Just because he has the right to his beliefs doesn't mean CNN has to print them. Tell us something new and different. This is just another boilerplate sermon. Ho-hum.

November 4, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  19. bosefasaurus

Jesus can not be elected. He is not a native born citizen, and he is imaginary. Two strikes.

November 4, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • TC

SO be the good sheeple and vote for one of 2 parties – yep – that will fix everything – and your out.

November 4, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  20. Rainer Braendlein

Join our cult for yours soul sake. Here I go again:

Jesus, the Bread of Life

Once Jesus was persecuted by the Scribes and Pharisees (leaders of the ancient Jews) because he dared to cure a man at Sabbath (the religious leaders implied that Jesus "worked" at Sabbath but they made a mistake because Jesus simply loved the sick man, and cured his soul and his body for free which was a divine service). Hence, Jesus escaped to Galilee which was somewhat more pagan (secular) than Judea, and there Jesus could preach the gospel of himself more undisturbed.

At Lake Galilee there was a certain mountain (maybe the mountain of the Sermon on the Mount) which Jesus always used as a kind of church (every place where God Jesus is, is a church). Actually Jesus had prefered the House of his Father, the Temple of Jerusalem, for preaching but the Jews persecuted him.

Many people from all Palestine came to Jesus, and he welcomed them in his church (the mountain). Jesus expressed his hospitality by making bread and fishes for more than 5000 people. People mainly seeked Jesus because they knew that he could cure but Jesus forgave their earthiness. and told them how they could enter God's Kingdom.

Regretably they misunderstood him and thought he would be something like a supernatural baker.

Yet, Jesus did not become angry but told them of a special bread which is at least as important like our daily bread, even more important.

He told them that he himself is the Bread of Life, not a magical bread, of course, but a bread which can change us. He told them that they need to eat his flesh and to drink his blood (somewhat strange). He meant that they needed to get baptized because at sacramental baptism we get metaphysically connected with Jesus, with his death and resurrection. People knew also the sermons of John the Baptist who had told them that they should share there daily bread with people in need. When we get united with Jesus we lose our egoism, and become able to love our fellow human beings.

Hence, when we believe ín Jesus, we start to share our daily bread with people in need in the power of Jesus' love which we received at baptism. That is the mystery of baptism.

Don't always seek normal bread, but also the Bread of Life, Jesus.

By the way, also the great Benjamin Franklin said that the center of true faith should be charity.

When Jesus returns, will he find charity in the USA? Will he find faith in the USA when he returns?

How do we get the power to overcome our egoism or selfishness? It is the faith in Jesus.

Take the Bread of Life, and you will become able to share the bread which you have earned by your work.

November 4, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • TC

Your heretical cult twists the truth – you should be ashamed

November 4, 2012 at 11:08 am |