home
RSS
November 3rd, 2012

My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Jesus

Editor's Note: Mark Schloneger is pastor of North Goshen Mennonite Church in Goshen, Indiana.

By Mark Schloneger, Special to CNN

It seems frivolous, even foolish.

On Tuesday, as the world turns its attention to who will occupy the most powerful office of the world’s most powerful nation, hundreds of churches will gather across the United States to worship a servant.

As votes are counted to elect a president, thousands of Christians will take the bread and the cup to remember their crucified Lord.

As winners are projected and the electoral map is updated, Christians of many denominations will sing their praises and proclaim their loyalty to Jesus.

It seems ridiculous, even silly.

After all, America is at a crossroads, and we are in the midst of one of the most critical presidential elections of our lifetimes. We know this because people have recited this same tired mantra before every presidential election.

How the White House changed Barack Obama’s faith

Our fears, our hopes, our worries and our struggles are the currency that buys our votes. And how do politicians and their supporters acquire this precious currency? They invest billions of dollars to foment fear, inspire hope, create worry and exploit our struggles.

It’s a power play. Some of us are pawns, and some of us are participants. But some of us are choosing a different part.

I initiated the Election Day Communion Campaign out of a concern that Christians in the United States are being shaped more by the tactics and ideologies of political parties than by our identity and unity in Christ. Out of this concern, a simple vision sparked the imaginations of congregations nationwide: the church being the church on Election Day, gathering at the Lord’s Table to remember, to give thanks for, and to proclaim its loyalty to Jesus.

The making of a candidate: Mitt Romney’s faith journey

Gathering for Communion on Election Day seems fitting, for the practice of Communion is an inherently political act. It is both a pledge of allegiance to Jesus and a declaration of independence from all other powers making claims on our bodies, minds and souls.

Far too often, the church has abandoned its first love for the siren song of political parties promising protection, prosperity and peace. Far too many times, the church has ceded the practice of its faith to the spiritual and the private while leaving others to address matters of justice. And far too frequently, the church has attempted to speak truth to power while seeking and relying on that same power for protection.

The bread and the cup are God’s antidotes to our fickle memories. As we eat and drink together, we remember that all things fall under the lordship of Christ. We remember our sin and need to repent.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

We remember that God has lifted up the humble, filled the hungry with good things, and chosen to reveal God’s strength through our weakness.

We remember that the only Christian nation in this world is the church, the holy nation that transcends all human-made walls, boundaries and borders.

As we gather at the table, we remember that the power to redeem, to save, and to transform comes not from atop the seat of power but from within the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

We will gather for Election Day Communion not because we think that the issues at stake in this election are unimportant or that our votes don’t really matter. No, we will gather for Communion because we think that the issues at stake in all elections are far too important to be relegated to our votes alone.

The Lord’s Supper reminds followers of Jesus to practice the politics of Jesus. To me, practicing the politics of Jesus means working to protect the sanctity of all human life, whether it is found in the womb, in prison, or in countries at war against us.

It means choosing the way of forgiveness and reconciliation rather than vengeance and violence. It means practicing an economy based on generosity and mutual aid.

It means offering care and compassion to suffering people regardless of their immigration status, economic class or religious practice.

It means being good stewards of God’s good creation. And, most of all, it means allowing God’s kingdom to break into the entirety of our lives, from the privacy of our homes to the politics we practice in public.

The bread and the cup keep calling me back to the table inscribed with memory. There, I remember God’s choice for the transfer of power. There, I remember where to go with my fears, my hopes, my worries and my struggles. At the table, with my sisters and brothers, I am in the presence of the Holy.

Though I’m interested in the outcome of the presidential election, I won’t be watching the projected results as they are announced. I’ve made a prior commitment. I intend to honor it.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mark Schloneger.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 2012 Election • Belief • Christianity • Politics

soundoff (3,435 Responses)
  1. Rational Libertarian

My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Iron Man.
    My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Ron Burgundy.
    My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Flash Gordon.
    My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Sherlock Holmes.
    My Take: On Election Day, proclaiming my loyalty to Harry Potter.

November 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

When the dreams and fancies of people's ideas become a reality, then will I fear living! For when Life ends as we know it, real living will begin!

November 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When are you gonna get off that meme, G? It's boring as sh!t already.

November 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Mickey1313

They are all beter role modles than jeebus and his merry men.

November 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
  2. PatriotismBlinds

I would love to see one of you idiot christian retarded morons tell me thing about your religion that has any basis in reality. You are the most confused deluded brain-dead fvcktards in the universe.

November 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • Shake

You can tell those morons they can have their cross back...when you see them....it doesn't fit in my room because I need room for my massage table so get it out!

November 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Answer

Religious idiots fear confrontation. Will use circular reasoning and will always use labels on you. To box you in to their definition of -you.

November 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  3. Guillame

No I want the job. The bidet is still not working – blame the f'ing socialists who built this stuff in Miami hotel!!

November 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • Shake

Guillame you got the job, congratulations! Just show up at the dock with a cement block tied to your leg and push yourself in. Go ahead, do it.

November 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Guillame

What do I know? I'm only ignorant frog from Quebec

November 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
  4. PatriotismBlinds

Question: What gives you the right to impose of force an action onto others?

Do you not choose your path in life? Do you not choose to believe what you wish to believe/not believe?
    What gives you then the urge to decide for another person what he or she must think and do? I will take the liberty to answer my own question: Because you think you're right! You think you're better than the one you mock and ridicule because that person isn't you. And even if you are right on a topic, how is mocking and ridiculing that person's ideas constructive? The more you use hostility and anger, the less they want to hear what you have to say.

I suggest you stop persecuting and hating one another and live in peace. Fell free to express yourselves. But remember, even if you would bet your life on it, you're not always right. We are human. That should be humbling in itself.

November 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Answer

"the less they want to hear what you have to say."

So do you want others to hear only you?

November 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

I would bet my life that Christians are wrong and I am right. No question, end of story. And I want those idiots out or our schools and out of our government.

November 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Answer

It is well founded evidence that one finds that negates the stupidity of religion.

–quote–
      "Persuasion, talking calmly and rationally, and people might listen. Mock and ridicule, and that person will be ignored or opposed with more force. That's the point I was making."

–end–

November 4, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

The above-comment is a fool using childish tactics(using my username).

November 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm |

I "fell free" once.

When you can write like someone who's actually conscious, be sure to send up a flare. In the interim, I shall mock and ridicule those I see fit to mock and ridicule. Don't like it? Tough noogies.

November 4, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • Answer

Advice to you...

"Just deal with it."

November 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

"I disagree with you only on the basis of mocking and ridicule. They are tools – special devices that hammer on the stupidity. You used them to confront the fallacies of the person's gibberish. Sometimes it's useful to say it does apply to the person also because it will be a bigger impact to make them think."

Galileo was ridiculed, but he wasn't wrong.

November 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When Galileo or anyone of even half his caliber shows up here, I'm pretty sure it's be obvious by contrast with you and everyone else.

November 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

edit: "it's" should be "it'll".

November 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

To the a-h0le using my name to post nonsense, ha ha you are so funny. I don't care what any phone Christian thinks about what I say. I have a long record of sticking their foolishness right back in their face so fvck off.

November 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Maegadon

WoW site down for you too Tom? this is sooo boring. I laughed at a few of your comments but they're not clever enough to keep me entertained here, time for me to troll elsewhere!

November 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

Caliber: Try me ;)

November 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Buh-bye. Don't let the door hit you where the dog shoulda bit you.

November 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

On second thought, there's a fool who posts with the same username as myself, which will just lead to confusion. Have a good evening guys. Im out.

November 4, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@Pat: Already did. You don't measure up.

November 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

On second thought, there's a fool who posts with the same username as myself, which will just lead to confusion. Have a good evening guys. I'm out

November 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • neverforget

The great thing about Romney win is the rich will get richer and then we can bring back guillotine!!!

November 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • The Great Satan

that's it – send them to me sooner

November 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Answer

Here is a general method to rid yourself of christian c-o-c-k-s-u-c-k-e-r-s from stealing your name...

"I am a c-o-c-k sucking christian" << use that. Properly. You'll find that they are s-e-x-u-a-l-l-y repressed idiots who won't touch that level of self incrimination. Use it against them.

Hope it helps.

November 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • Mr H

in the event of social collapse I'm not worried about hunger – the food will come to YOU.

November 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • TR6

Fergus spake these words and he said, This shall be my creed, whereby shall I live my life, as it were a shining example of Virtue and Excellence, well worthy to be enshrined in Heaven as a model for all who are wise to follow. My creed shall into three parts, like Gaul, be divided. Firstly, I shall constrain myself to Mind My Own Business. Secondly, I shall endeavour at all times and in all places to Keep My Nose Clean by the most expedient possible means. Thirdly, and finally, I shall always exercise the utmost care to Keep My Hands To Myself.

November 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  5. - - - MODERATOR - - -

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    OK very funny but let's keep it civil shall we? Would it surprise you to know that the past 100 or so posts were mainly made by no more than 4 people, posting under different aliases? We're having a good laugh here and should a position open for CNN comedian you'll all be considered. Meanwhile, try not to be insulting and stick to the topic at hand. And there's no proof that Canadians favor butte sechs more than other nationalities.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

November 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Answer

Just look at the capitalized moniker. Speaks volume of "want" and "look at me".

So funny.

November 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Frank

Oh there is an article above these comments. I had never scrolled up that far.

November 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • DUMP BLAH BLAH BLAH FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, BLAH BLAH, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

Moderator, don't blame me for my incoherent, absurd posts, my English teacher was Chinese.

November 4, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If a position opens for CNN comedian I'm sure to get the job because I'm the FUNNIEST and the BEST. The others are strictly amateurs! Also, CNN shouldn't hire Atheists. I hate Atheists, I don't care what Jesus says about love thy neighbor...

November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor little captain Ronnie Regonzoid. I must have really hurt your widdle feewings.

November 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

There you are Scotty, *cough Tommie Tom, spewing your filth again and stealing my handle as usual. You were run of the last web site where you were webmaster for running off all of the Christians. I know from my bosses that you will not stop until you have had your way with me. Liar liar liar.

November 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • DUMP hINDU FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, CHRISTIANITY, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

hinduism, blah, blah of a hindu, blah, blah.

November 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • MsApril

Tom Im still at the b u t t bar whats takin so long. sorry Im typping on iphone

November 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Meatwad

I am the funniest one on these blogs. Some say I am a comedian cuz I only have one damn tooth.

November 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  6. Rob McDonald

When a person of faith quotes from their holy scripture, the old testament, the new testament, the Qur'an, etc., sometimes I'm inclined to laugh right in their faces. When Romney speaks of his magical beliefs, it makes me downright angry. Here is an investment banker, pretending to be a businessman, who has said he "doesn't care" about 47% of his fellow citizens. As if, as President, he would be able to do away with them, like he did away with American jobs, shipping them overseas, to make his companies more profitable for his shareholders. Mr. Romney is not a man of
    faith. He's a self serving man of
    manipulation. He's a dangerous man. And we'd be wise to fear him and the people who support him.

November 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Meatwad

I heard Mitt is from the inside of the moon and smokes cigarettes while he flips us the bird.

November 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
  7. God's Oldest Dreamer

pithy me wrote me on November 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm, declaring, "Next time you talk to your god(which I'm sure you do),could you ask him why he built chicken pox-among other dubious creations?I continue to be amazed at god's litany of screw ups.Why did he wait a zillion years,until finally deciding to put his chosen ones on an unsustainable grain of sand in the corner of the universe?He TRULY has some explaining to do."

pithy me, We are but celestial manifestations of God's creativities. Evolution is the Gods'(plural) works and there is reason why we were the last limb to be raised from Fractal Cosmology.

I am not angry about your hardened stance upon the issues of 'bacteriologies' and 'viral dilemmas'. Our being of celestialness means we are born from the inward workings of inner-space where the Gods do reside or so the KJVB does tell me. 1Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.

Our bodies being but buildings created by the handiworks of God's generations inside a woman's building/body is one of the most grand gestures of Celestial Manifestations of Life! The Sons and daughters of God are those who reside and do live within all manner of celestial life forms and formations. One body of celestial life is but a Kingdom wherein a generation of but one Godly Son/Daughter does live out and promulgate their eternity which is but our lifetime.

You will most likely not read these words and take heed of them so I will not write any further my thoughts on Life's candor.

Lettuce Love
    Let Us Love
    G.O.D.

November 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Frank

It's best not to keep stuff in that innerspace very long. If necessary, eat a few prunes before going to bed.

November 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Maybe THAT'S the problem, Frank! Maybe God's Oddest Derp is so bound up that the crap has to go SOMEWHERE or he'll explode!

November 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Frank,,
      :-( :-) :-(

November 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • God's Oldest Dreamer

Tom T you can really be funny at times,,,, :-)

November 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
    • Meatwad

I like lettuce cuz bunnies like lettuce and I think bunnies are soft.

November 4, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
  8. DUMP hINDU FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, CHRISTIANITY, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

Eliminate hindu Judaism, filthy secular ism to have peace, Islam among humanity. hindu's blinded leading hindu, blinded, game of hindu Magi's, criminal tricksters to stay in business of hinduism, denial of truth absolute, let it be hindu's, ignorant preachers, speaking not of truth absolute GOD, nor hindu atheist, ignorant self centered, secular s. rode with a hindu blinded driver, BET ON A WRACK, YOU WILL NEVER LOOSE.

Expect nothing better but mayhem among humanity by following of hinduism, denial of truth absolute, Allah, and following of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism, neither commanded, nor allowed in Islam as a religion, but Theen Allah, consti tution of truth absolute. Foundation of American consti tution.
    Shiaism
    hindu Mithra ism, savior ism invented little over 100 years after Sydana Mohammad pbh by tribes of Kujar of north Africa and imposition as Fatmid Khalaphit by force by denial of Hidth and Quran, justified by hindu Judaism, pagan secularism to impose hinduism, racism by hindu, fabricated relationship with Family of Syadana Mohammad pbh to justify existence of hindu criminal Kings, a violation of fundamental commandment, human equality under the LA. truth absolute Allah. Cause of conflict among Muslim's and cause of down fall of Muslim's and Islam in Spain.

Sunisim, invented by Turk's by corruption of Quran and hidth to justify existence of hindu King's as Khalipha, after death of Ruler Mohammad, but later renamed, Mehmmat, wisdom of spirit of truth by siblings from his Armenian wife, follower of hindu pagan Mithra ism, savior ism in 13th century.

Christianity, invented by hinduism,. corruption of truth absolute by hindu Pharisees, pagan self centered, follower of hindu filthy pig ism by corrupted Torah, known as Greek Torah, translated and commented by Ben Asheer in 250 AD in Yiddish, secularist, self centered language, also known as Old Testament, part of book of Mithra ism labeled as Bible. A way to justify hindu criminal Kings and self proclaimed Prophets, fortune tellers as god's to rule over humanity.

JUDAISM, Self center ism, pig ism, or Atheism, invented by hindu's pagan's of Egypt by corruption of truth absolute in Torah to Justify hindu pagan Pharaoh's and their hindu pagan Santans, goons as god's to rule over humanity with impunity.

HAVE hINDUISM, CORRUPTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, RELIGIONS AND LIVE WITH MAYHEM, AS HAS BEEN THE CASE FROM hIND, DARK AGES TILL TODAY. FOLLOW THEEN ALLAH, CONSTI TUTION OF TRUTH ABSOLUTE, ALLAH , GOD AND THE LORD, FOUNDATION OF CONSTI TUTION OF AMERICA TO HAVE PEACE AMONG HUMANITY. To learn more please visit truthisthelimit.com
    word hindu is based on Latin word hindered, negative, Hun, great, Han, to be in greatness, hin, to be negative to both of them, hindu, a noun in negativity, hinduism, way of negativity.
    Visit limitisthetruth.com to learn about hinduism, criminality of hindu's, criminals to impose hinduism, racism on humanity by hinduism, corruption of truth absolute by force.

November 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • AvdBergism source of filthyRainerBraendleinism©

Absurdity of Islam – just as stupid as the next one.

November 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm |

hinduism, absurdity of a hindu, ID thief.

November 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  9. James

2 Timothy 4:2-6 3 For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will reject the truth and chase after myths.

November 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Colin

Ironic that you are citing one the letters of Paul that the vast majority of biblical scholars agree was a forgery.

November 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • OTOH

James,

The zealot Paul of Tarsus had an itching tongue. Talk about chasing myths...!

November 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm |

hindu lair Paul was none but a hindu, pagan, pretending to be follower of son of blessed Mary, to hind, fool humanity into hinduism, racism, of hindu Mithra ism, savior ism called Christianity.

November 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • James

Colins and OTOH,
      2 Timothy 3:16- 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. I just wanted to say that God love you both. May God bless you both!

November 4, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • James

2 Timothy 3:2-4 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.

November 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • OTOH

James,

What in the heck was new or predictive about that? Comments on age-old human nature is all it is.

How about:
      - people will one day fly very fast high up in the sky
      - people will land on the moon
      - people will eradicate polio and smallpox
      - people will transplant human organs

November 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • TR6

Here is one of those sound and wholesome teachings from the bible. In fact it is one of the 2nd set of 10 commandments (yes there are 2 sets in the bible, the 2nd set is way better than the first, look it up if you don’t believe me)

"Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk"
      – Exodus 23:19, 34:26; Deuteronomy 14:21

November 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  10. Don't care

PRAISE JEBUS!!! I'LL JUST PRAY SO I DON'T HAVE TO BE BOTHERED TO ACTUALLY THINK.

/sarcasm

November 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Shepherd are trying to keep their sheep indoor.

November 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  11. Colin

The sooner we bury this grossly overrated prophet from 2,000 years ago the better. we can obviously discount the supernatural cr.ap about healing hte sick, raising the dead etc.,and the guy didn't even say much that was original. Love your enemy and turn the other cheek were probably the only original philosophical musings attributed to him and, let's face it, nobody does either. The guy was a political, military and philosophical non-event.

His other admonitions about being poor, helping others, not killing etc. were already well established doctrines in Judaism and many eastern beliefs. If ever there was a grossly overrated person in all of history, it is Jesus of Nazareth.

November 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • nope

@colon .
      nope

November 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • snopes confirms

nope is a dope

November 4, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Chad

@Colin "we can obviously discount the supernatural cr.ap about healing hte sick, raising the dead etc.
      @Chad "the only way you can discount the supernatural, is if you claim that God does not exist.
      Are you making that claim?

=========
      @Colin "The guy was a political, military and philosophical non-event."
      @Chad "very true, He did not come to improve humanity, but to save it.

November 4, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

chad: "the only way you can discount the supernatural, is if you claim that God does not exist" . .

November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Chad

@ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo "That's a loaded statement – it asserts that there is s direct correlation between something that is supernatural in nature and the god of abraham – this is an assertion via the Bible, that has never been proven to be true by any credible means."

@Chad "Your logic is wrong, here's why:
      however

November 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

Chad: "Your logic is wrong, here's why:
      – It is true that a supernatural event must be ascribed to the God of Israel as the external agent."

You have no way to prove that, Chad. You haven't even provided credible proof of the God of Israel. Christianity, via the Bible asserts that the god of Israel is a truth. You've asserted it. But you have provided no proof when asked. You've tried. You last outlined five points to support your assertion, but they were not credible proof.

You left a conversation which takes up most of this page:

where you failed to provide any proof and left the discussion.

Let's continue with your twisting my words from my last reply here:

Chad: "however – if you claim that NO supernatural event is possible, you assert that there ARE NO external agents, which would include a denial of the existence of the God of Israel."

There was never any mention of something being possible or not. Re-read my post, Chad. There was simply an assertion that the Bible, as an initial assertion (and evidently in agreement with you), claims the existence of the god of Israel to be a truth – something for which nothing credible has ever been put forth to prove that claim.

Lastly, you state:

Chad: "so, if Colin is asserting that the supernatural is not possible, then he is denying the God of Israel (in addition to all other possible external agents)."

I don't want to speak for Colin, except to say I think you are putting words in his mouth in the same way you just tried to do with me; by Colin saying: " we can obviously discount the supernatural cr.ap about healing hte sick," it doesn't appear that he is making any claim as to any possibility of the supernatural, it seems he is simply discounting the supernatural events as described in the Bible and attributed to Jesus. Although he may mean something different. What is clear is that you have made way too many assumptions from what others have wrote.

November 4, 2012 at 8:15 pm |

Chard=Pinhead.

November 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

word correction – my next-to-last paragraph should end:

. . something for which no credible has ever been put forth to prove that claim.

November 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • Chad

Actually, I miss typed...

should have read:
      =========================
      @Chad "Your logic is wrong, here's why:
      – It is true that a supernatural event may not have to be ascribed to the God of Israel as the external agent (some other external agent could be the source of the supernatural event.
      however

November 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Chad

– The origin of the universe demonstrates that an external agent is required
      – The best candidate for that external agent is the God of Israel

November 4, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

Chad clarified that he had mistyped something:

Chad: "Actually, I miss typed...

should have read:
      =========================
      @Chad "Your logic is wrong, here's why:
      however

so, if Colin is aserting that the supernatural is not possible, then he is denying the God of Israel (in addition to all other possible external agents)."

OK – well that makes a difference. But also, you misunderstood, because no one claimed anything was "not possible".

November 4, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

Chad: "It's a very important distinction, one that you have never grasped in the past, and I doubt you will grasp now..

– The origin of the universe demonstrates that an external agent is required
      – The best candidate for that external agent is the God of Israel"

On your first point. No, there are too many unknowns regarding the universe to say an external agent is required. But even if that was the case, there is nothing known about the properties of such and agent – certainly nothing that is credible. Also, by the way, another possibility that there was some kind of agent that is no longer present.

On your second point, the god of israel is not a good candidate simply by the nature by which that the god of abraham came about – a convenient refinement of previous folklore where multiple gods were dreamed up in man's image. What we can feel more confident in, knowing from human consistency, is that before and during the period of time that covers the OT, man was:

1. Afraid of many things that he didn't yet have a scientific explanation for, and
      2. Able to easily buy and sell ideas from/to others regarding protection, peace of mind, promise of good health and the afterlife – often all of this for control & profit, but sometimes for the survival of a group. Sure some of the services provided might have been beneficial and real. But is no way validates that contact was ever made with some higher being. In other words, propaganda is nothing new.

As someone else said, the god of abraham didn't go anywhere man didn't take him.

November 4, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • ChardWatch2 Electric Bugaloo

I guess Chad is still sleeping . . .

November 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  12. DUMP hINDU FABRICATION MITHRA ISM, SAVIOR ISM, CHRISTIANITY, VOTE FOR TRUTH ABSOLUTE GOD

I just figured out we are all one race. Romney is black, and Obama is Chinese.

November 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  13. midwest rail

Here's a novel idea. Why not cast your vote and proclaim your loyalty to your country ?

November 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
    • PatriotismBlinds

Question: What gives you the right to impose of force an action onto others?

November 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  14. clinky

"it means allowing God’s kingdom to break into the entirety of our lives, from the privacy of our homes to the politics we practice in public"

Look out. This pastor's a peeper. He'll send the Gay Police to break into your bedroom and make you tell your political affiliation to your boss. He makes McCarthyism look like a cake walk. All they had to deal with then were loyalty oaths and sworn depositions. This guy is way more intrusive.

November 4, 2012 at 5:59 pm |

clinky is wise.

November 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  15. Atheism is healthy for everyone. Pets too!
    November 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • nope

@at.. h...
      nope

November 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • snopes confirms

nope is /i>false

November 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  16. Tee

If you thought the GOP definition of faith includes a believe in a deity, think again. All they are doing is preying on the ignorance of Americans. Otheriwise, how do you reconcile the philosophy of Objectivism by Ayn Rand (the author of Atlas Shrugged), which they preach, with the core tenet of the Christian creed based on love? By the way, Ayn Rand was an atheist. So, what would Jesus do today about the poor in our midst? Dismiss them as looters and moochers?!

November 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  17. Time Will Tell

God is in charge. For His reasons, whoever wins, well, will win. God moves his hand through the present, which eventually becomes the recent past, then eventually becomes the distant past. And of what little brain power we possess doesn't really comprehend it nor can we change it.

Isaiah 14:27 NIV
    For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?

November 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • truth be told

Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation.

November 4, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • save the world and slap some sense into a christard today!

"Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation."

Of course it's the Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer's boot camp flunkie.

November 4, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • LinCA

@truth be told

You said, "Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation."
      What did the US do that was so horrendous that it warranted Bush for 8 years?

November 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • truth be told

In an election numbers matter 1 % of the population are loud mouthed atheist types 80 % are believers. Why don't you (sense slapper) see how many more swing voters you can alienate with your half assed wit in the next couple days you moron.

November 4, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why are you so worried about such a small fraction of the population, Turdy?

November 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • truth be told

What did America do to deserve Bush? Abortion, ho mo se xual agenda, insulting God, blasphemy, and about every other sin known to man. If we do not repent we could end up with a president that will make W look like a rocket scientist. If you see a Mormon in the White House you will know America is being taken to the woodshed big time.

November 4, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ahahhhahhahhahahhhaa! You simple-minded termite.

November 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • truth be told

Watch and learn in two days it may be too late.

November 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why? Will you have figured out what const itutes a "pun" by that time? I'm sure it will take hours and hours of hard work and concentration, but you can do it, Turdy!

November 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Answer

-–quote-
      truth be told

Watch and learn in two days it may be too late.
      -end-

What guarantees does one have that a society will be made that is right JUST for you? That really makes me laugh..
      You suddenly develop a further, deeper faith now? That Mitt will turn your America into your version of paradise? And that it may not, but instead it will be his own mormon version of paradise. Such a dilemma in using your delusion to vote.

November 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Turdy just told 'say what' that comments made here might just sway the whole election. Can you believe the stupidity? The arrogance? The outright hubris?

November 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Answer

People who like to live in fantasy always say those kind of things.

The comfort of an imagination that they may be propelled to a win sure beats the mentality of always being a loser. And religious people always know that they are the losers in this reality.

November 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • LinCA

@truth be told

Ah. The homosexual agenda. Is this the one you are talking about?

6:00 am Gym
             8:00 am Breakfast (oatmeal and egg whites)
             9:00 am Hair appointment
            10:00 am Shopping
            12:00 PM Brunch

2:00 PM 1) Assume complete control of the U.S. Federal, State and Local Governments
                     as well as all other national governments,
                 2) Recruit all straight youngsters to our debauched lifestyle,
                 3) Destroy all healthy heterosexual marriages,
                 4) Replace all school counselors in grades K-12 with agents
                    of Colombian and Jamaican drug cartels,
                  5) Establish planetary chain of "homo breeding gulags" where
                    over-medicated imprisoned straight women are turned
                    into artificially impregnated baby factories to produce
                    prepubescent love slaves for our devotedly pederastic gay
                    leadership,
                  6) bulldoze all houses of worship, and
                  7) Secure total control of the INTERNET and all mass media for
                    the exclusive use of child pornographers.

2:30 PM Get forty winks of beauty rest to prevent facial wrinkles from stress of world conquest
             4:00 PM Cocktails
             6:00 PM Light Dinner (soup, salad, with Chardonnay)
             8:00 PM Theater
            11:00 PM Bed (du jour)?

November 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hahah@ LinCa. Love the agenda.

November 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • That means prayer is useless.

If it's what he wants, doesn't matter if you pray for it or not, it will happen". If it's not what he wants, it's not going to happen, no matter how hard you pray.
      So god must have lied when he said he answered prayers

November 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  18. Dan

Cardinal Francis Spellman once said pray like everything depends on god work like everything depends on man it's pretty obvious if you are even the least bit religious say your prayers then go vote this is not exactly controversial

November 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
  19. Jack

Amen to that, Mike. :)

November 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  20. Ed M.

Which Jesus?

The one who said to give all your money away to the poor and join him?

The one who whipped the moneychangers out of the Temple?

The one who changed water to wine? (Mormons don't drink.)

The one who cured the blind?

Why assemblage of puzzle pieces is this "Jesus"?

Jesus is a thousand contradictory quips that can be arranged to support any position.

November 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Tired of idiots

Ed, since you know nothing about scriptures, Jesus was reprimanding the Jews at that time.

November 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm |