home
RSS
November 7th, 2012

Belief Blog's Morning Speed Read for Wednesday, November 07

By Arielle Hawkins, CNN

Here's the Belief Blog’s morning rundown of the top faith-angle stories from around the United States and around the world. Click the headlines for the full stories.

From the Blog:

CNN: Your Take: Should we have polling places in churches?
It's an election issue that gets virtually no attention, but we found out today that many of you do feel strongly about it: Churches being used as Election Day polling places. A guest Belief Blog piece on the subject Tuesday morning, "My Take: Stop using churches as polling places," fetched more than a thousand comments, prompting us to ask Twitter followers to share their church-based voting experiences and pictures. Then we noticed the "My Take" rising to near the top of reddit politics, sparking a lively discussion there.

Tweet of the Day:

From the CNN Vault:

Enlightening Reads:

Jewish Daily Forward: Obama Rides Jewish Mandate to Second Term
President Barack Obama rode a renewed mandate from Jewish voters to win an historic second term in the White House. With a list of swing states painted blue as the vote count proceeded, Obama’s Democratic victory was clinched with narrow predicted victories in the battleground states of Florida and Ohio, both with significant Jewish populations.

Religion News Service: Watchdog group accuses Catholic bishops of campaigning for Romney, asks IRS to investigate
A public watchdog group is charging the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops with openly politicking on behalf of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and it wants the Internal Revenue Service to explore revoking the hierarchy’s tax-exempt status. “In completely unqualified terms, the IRS should immediately tell the Conference of Catholic Bishops that the conduct of its members is beyond the pale,” said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

Reuters: New Coptic Orthodox pope says Egypt’s constitution must be inclusive
The new Coptic Orthodox pope said on Monday that a constitution being drafted by Egypt’s politicians must be inclusive and the church would oppose any text that only addressed one part of the Muslim-majority nation.

EWTN: Cardinal Wuerl says all Catholics called to personal conversion
All Catholics are called to participate in the New Evangelization by renewing their own faith so that they can witness to those around them, said Cardinal Donald W. Wuerl of Washington, D.C. Members of the faith “have to get back to inviting people into that experience, that encounter with Christ,” he noted, because it is only once people have embraced the Risen Lord that they can embrace the Christian vision of countering social and moral problems.

The Guardian: Spanish photographer wins UK portrait prize with moment in Mennonite life
A photograph of a woman who was, for religious reasons, a reluctant sitter has been named winner of one of the UK's most prestigious portrait prizes. The London-based Spanish photographer Jordi Ruiz Cirera won the £12,000 Taylor Wessing photographic portrait prize for his image of a 26-year-old Bolivian woman called Margarita Teichroeb. Her shyness stems from the fact she is a Mennonite. The religious community generally forbids images, with some members believing photographs are a form of graven image.

Religion News Service: Jews push back against Scouts over policy banning gays
For nearly a decade, hundreds of local Boy Scouts have learned the virtues of the Ten Commandments on an annual Thanksgiving holiday hike to churches, synagogues and mosques, where clergy and scholars explained their faiths’ take on the ancient code. But this year, Touro Synagogue, a major Reform congregation and a longtime partner, has told the organization it’s no longer willing to take part because the Scouts deny membership to gay troop leaders and gay Scouts.

Quote of the Day:

The nation chose another leader, so Ann and I earnestly pray for him and this great nation.

- Gov. Mitt Romney, as he delivers his concession speech Thursday, November 7, 2012.

Opinion of the Day:

CNN: My Take: Stop using churches as polling places
Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, describes some interesting studies suggesting that voting in a place of worship can influence voters.

Join the conversation…

How many times do hot-button issues come up in the Bible?

CNN: My Take: Counting the Bible's words doesn't yield a Republican Jesus
Stephen Prothero, Boston University religion scholar and author of "The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation," responds to angry emails he received after writing a Belief Blog post in which he takes issue with evangelicals using Jesus as a political tool to benefit the Republican Party.

- A. Hawkins

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Curious Christian

My question is for all the so called Christians out there...how did this man get re-elected? Shame on us for not taking a stand...for voting our faith. There should be no way that a country whose money says "In God We Trust" should ever have re-elected a person who supports gay marriage or abortion.

Our churches should be embarrassed because either they haven’t been teaching us correct doctrine or principles or they were too scared to speak up and take a stand when it mattered. I thought Christians were to stand for truth and righteousness at all times in all places. Or did we choose our tax bracket over our faith... our race over our faith?

This was our time to stand up and be accountable. This was our time to stand by our faith and the God we claim to love. This moment is akin to Peter denying Christ 3 times when openly asked if he knew him. Shame on us Christians for pretending on Sunday and then showing our true self on Tuesday.

Isaiah 5:20-21: Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Matthew 7:20-23: Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

We have a lot of work to do! Alas...it isn't about the Lord not hearing our prayers. Unfortunately you can't always save the people from themselves.

November 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Who invited me?

In god we trust was te change to the national motto n the 1950's, It wase pluribus unem before that.
      In god we trust is a lie anyway and has no busines anywhere in goverment
      I am one of the all inclusive "we" and I do not trust in any gods, there fore in god we trust is a lie.
      Odd hat they would put i on money though for that is theone thing that is worshipped more than your man-made god.

November 7, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Chick-a-dee

1 Corinthians 9
      20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law - though not being myself under the law - that I might win those under the law.
      21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law - not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ - that I might win those outside the law.
      22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
      23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
      24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
      25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
      26 Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air;
      27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Colossians 3
      14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
      15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful.

When we all embrace the idea that we are one people, made by one God, and commanded to love each other – every single one of us – unconditionally, then we will be able to eliminate the divisiveness that is the hallmark of those who think they are righteous. Then we can begin working on lovingly correcting the societal ills that cause the problems those on the red side of the aisle would like so much to eliminate.

November 8, 2012 at 4:04 am |
  2. The Result of the "Does Prayer Work" Test Are IN!

Romney got far far more prayer than Obama. Romney lost. Prayer DID NOT WORK!

A Republican majority in the Senate got far far more prayers than a Democratic majority. The REpublicans lost even worse than expected. Prayer DID NOT WORK!

Christians prayed heavily that gay marriage initiatives wold not pass. The passed in tow states. Prayer DID NOT WORK!

Recreational marijuana passes in two states. Prayer DID NOT WORK.

November 7, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Religion is not healthy for politicians anymore

Prayer flopped.

Miserably!

November 7, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Robert Brown

I believe prayer works. I also believe God answers prayer, sometimes he says yes, sometimes he says wait, and sometimes he says no. He has very good reasons for his answer and someday we may find out why, but then again, someday, why, may not matter anymore.

November 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Atheists: Teaching Christians About Their Bible

Your belief is denied by Jesus. He clearly says that if you pray and you believe, you will get it without fail. The answers of "maybe" and "no" are modern excuses from apologists who recognize that prayer absolutely does not work they way Jesus said it definitely would.

“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Mark 11:21-23, repeated in Matthew 21:18-22

Or are you saying that Jesus was wrong?

November 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  3. just sayin

My actions are not Christ-like. God bless.

November 7, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • sarah

mood swings, tbt?

November 7, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • and as always

An atheist steals a name and some ass hole thinks its real.

November 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Chick-a-dee

but that's ok... as long as they are sometime... and you try to make them so more and more often.

November 8, 2012 at 4:07 am |
  4. captain america

My actions are not Christ-like. There's your sign.

November 7, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • and as always

some ass hole steals a name because it can't think for itself.

November 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  5. Ann

There's still more work to be done. We're still stuck with Michelle Bachmann. Of course, she's becoming less relevant.

November 7, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • Andy

Yes, it is time that she and her lies be exposed to the masses. We can be kind to reptilian species on this planet, but there is no reason for their representation in our congress.

November 7, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  6. AtheistSteve

Bill Maher posted on his facebook. and I'm paraphrasing here: "Romney will now go back to the planet Kolob and that was $1,000,000 well spent"....lol

November 7, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  7. mama k

It is a happy day, indeed. I think the eight Virginia-born presidents and their wives would be happy today as well. I wasn't very sure about my state, but even with a republican governor, the traditionally red state for lovers came through once again for the President. Plus, the last democratic governor of Virginia now helped us retain a democratic seat in the U.S.Senate. Prior to Obama, Virginia had voted republican in nine straight presidential elections. Very nearby, I am pleased to see the gay marriage measure pass in Maryland. Local news late last night showed enormous celebration in nearby Washington, DC, including many students from GWU & Georgetown U.

November 7, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • MCR

Congratulations to Virginia. I'm still hoping one day really will be for lovers , but I'm feeling much more optimistic.

November 7, 2012 at 9:10 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Legitimate rape won't lead to pregnancy and a baby conceived is God's will no matter how it occurs??? Nope....but an informed electorate is a sure-fire cure for foot-in-mouth disease.

November 7, 2012 at 9:37 am |
    • captain america

Try informing the electorate in your own country ass hole, we'll think for ourselves. There's your sign.

November 7, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • BRC

@captain,
      We did think for ourselves, and we voted for the better, more honest, more American candidate. Woot.

November 7, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • == o ==

The only kind of "trickle-down" that actually works:

"pervert alert" degenerates to:
      "Taskmaster" degenerates to:
      "Ronald Regonzo" degenerates to:
      "truth be told" degenerates to:
      "Atheism is not healthy ..." degenerates to:
      "tina" degenerates to:
      "captain america" degenerates to:
      "just sayin" degenerates to:
      "nope" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degenerates to:

and many other names, but of course I prefer to refer to this pathetic, extreme homophobe as
      the disgruntled Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co. writer boot camp flunkie.

November 7, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  8. AtheistSteve

This election was the last gasp of oxygen for the hopes of social conservatives. Changing demographics will never allow their rise to power again. Certainly the Republicans can win future elections but not unless they soften their party platform against gays, abortion, contraception, minority concerns, marijuana and womens rights. If they don't they will never gain the popular vote. Americans have spoken and I even feel confident that an atheist will hold their highest office before too long.

November 7, 2012 at 8:58 am |
    • MCR

I agree they're out for a good long time, but I don't think humans as a species are getting much smarter. I wouldn't let your guard down...unexpected events can radically change a county, and when people go looking for religion next time its likely the "church down the road" will be a mosque which is every bit as conservative as the Christian fundamentalists. There's probably never going to be a "final victory of reason".

November 7, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • AtheistSteve

I have hopes that education reform will turn the tide. Maybe I am a bit too optimistic but the youth vote points to a change for the better. The youth of today are too pragmatic to fall into the religious trap, let alone the muslim one. 3 out of 10 of the youth vote identify as atheist. That number is on the rise and faster than any other religious group. Change at the highest levels is glacial but I think inevitable.

November 7, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • captain america

Who the F are you to lecture US on our politics, there are no Republicans in canada. Mind your own F'n business. There's your sign

November 7, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  9. Doc Vestibule

I guess it isn't a good day to be an American fundie.
    A couple of states voted in favour of gay marriage, a couple of others for the legalization of pot, and in California the p.orn actors now have to wear condoms.
    If it makes you hard right republicans feel any better, the rest of the world breathed a sigh of relief when Obama won.

November 7, 2012 at 8:29 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

and I just read that there's now an openly gay senator!
      Good for you America.

November 7, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • midwest rail

Akin and Mourdock were also sent packing.

November 7, 2012 at 8:34 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Yes Doc.
      A happy day indeed.

November 7, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • mama k

Indeed, good riddance to Akin and Mourdock.

November 7, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  10. A Great Day for Freedom

November 7, 2012 at 7:32 am |
  11. truth be told

America lost yesterday. Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation.

November 7, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • midwest rail

Nonsense.

November 7, 2012 at 6:42 am |
    • truth be told

Look at the choices offered an anti – Christ cultist or a proponent of infanticide and abomination. Either way America loses. Poor leadership is Gods curse on a nation.

November 7, 2012 at 6:46 am |
    • AtheistSteve

As a Canadian with no horse in this race I think it's telling that the only country that looked favorably on the possibility of a Romney win was Pakistan.

November 7, 2012 at 7:01 am |
    • captain america

As a canadian your opinion isn't worth sh it to US. Go F yourself. We will think for ourselves. There's your sign

November 7, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • AtheistSteve

LOL...you fucking idiot. I wasn't voicing an opinion....merely stating the FACTS.

November 7, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • BU2B

"We will think for ourselves".

LOL

November 7, 2012 at 8:26 am |
    • Primewonk

But yesterday, and over the past months, fundiot nutter after fundiot nutter said that your god wanted Romney to win. So either your god was wrong, or your god lied.

November 7, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • NOPE

@tb: here is something to chew on; what if your god doesn't give two cents what you think/believe and did what his plan was the whole time.
      your god didn't agree with all of his son's criers so, e ignored you. lmfao

November 7, 2012 at 9:18 am |
    • mama k

I always like to hear Atheist Steve's opinion. Who would think a web site would only be for people in the U.S., except some idiot? Oh, but I have to remember this is truth be told / captain america – that explains it.

November 7, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Thank you mama k. Your contributions also add value to the discourse on this blog. I'm always interested in what you have to say.

November 7, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Cal

TBT, What is the reason for said curse?

November 7, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • mama k

Thank you, AtheistSteve. Likewise.

November 7, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things", but your assertions regarding atheism and prayer are unfounded. Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module, the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "TOTAL FAIL".

I see that you repeat these unfounded statements with high frequency. Perhaps the following book can help you:

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do... Who You Can Turn to...
      by the Alzheimer's Disease Society

November 7, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  12. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

November 7, 2012 at 6:05 am |
    • Rodents for Romney

I prayed you would know off this sh1t.

November 7, 2012 at 6:20 am |
    • just sayin

The only prayer That God will hear from you is the sinners sincere prayer of repentance. After you are born again you will talk with God on many subjects, opposition to prayer will not be one of them. God bless

November 7, 2012 at 6:38 am |
    • BU2B

I have no problem if you talk to yourself, that is up to you. Just stop pretending that it's to "god". Imaginary friends are for toddlers.

November 7, 2012 at 8:24 am |
    • TrollAlert

"Ronald Regonzo" who degenerates to:
      "Salvatore" degenerates to:
      "Douglas" degenerates to:
      "truth be told" degenerates to:
      "Thinker23" degenerates to:
      "Atheism is not healthy ..." degenerates to:
      "another repentant sinner" degenerates to:
      "Dodney Rangerfield" degenerates to:
      "tina" degenerates to:
      "captain america" degenerates to:
      "Atheist Hunter" degenerates to:
      "Anybody know how to read? " degenerates to:
      "just sayin" degenerates to:
      "ImLook'nUp" degenerates to:
      "Kindness" degenerates to:
      "Chad" degenerates to
      "Bob" degenerates to
      "nope" degenerates to:
      "2357" degenerates to:
      "WOW" degenerates to:
      "fred" degenerates to:
      "!" degenerates to:
      "pervert alert"

This troll is not a christian.

November 7, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.

November 7, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  13. WASP

yeah baby we did it again! congrats on the president and wel done all who went out and voted. you all have shown the true spirit of this country.

November 7, 2012 at 6:04 am |
    • nope

@wus...
      nope

November 7, 2012 at 6:39 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Congrats America!! The right man to get the job done while keeping religion out of it has been re-elected!

November 7, 2012 at 7:24 am |
    • captain america

As a canadian liar prefails has nothing of value to offer US. Go F yourself and mind your own business. There's your sign

November 7, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

CA: One can only assume that if you are even old enough to vote, you voted for Romney...so given that he didn't win, it becomes obvious that your opinion doesn't matter to America either. (btw: you have yet to produce proof that you have the right to censor who comments on this blog...until you do it, you will need to suck it up little one...we will remain here. :-) )

November 7, 2012 at 8:35 am |
    • NOPE

@capt. "america": play nice with our ally. we have a common interest in this world and truly all nations will be needed for the coming events.
      oh and btw i hope you and yours don't live anywhere in the west.............it will prove to be hazardous to your health.

November 7, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • mama k

Thank you, TruthPrevails – pay no mind to the blog idiot.

November 7, 2012 at 9:36 am |