home
RSS
My Take: The danger of calling behavior ‘biblical’
The author argues that there are many meanings of the adjective 'biblical.'
November 17th, 2012

My Take: The danger of calling behavior ‘biblical’

Editor's Note: Rachel Held Evans is a popular blogger from Dayton, Tennessee, and author of “A Year of Biblical Womanhood.”

By Rachel Held Evans, Special to CNN

On "The Daily Show" recently, Jon Stewart grilled Mike Huckabee about a TV ad in which Huckabee urged voters to support “biblical values” at the voting box.

When Huckabee said that he supported the “biblical model of marriage,” Stewart shot back that “the biblical model of marriage is polygamy.”

And there’s a big problem, Stewart went on, with reducing “biblical values” to one or two social issues such as abortion and gay marriage, while ignoring issues such as poverty and immigration reform.

It may come as some surprise that as an evangelical Christian, I cheered Stewart on from my living room couch.

As someone who loves the Bible and believes it to be the inspired word of God, I hate seeing it reduced to an adjective like Huckabee did. I hate seeing my sacred text flattened out, edited down and used as a prop to support a select few political positions and platforms.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

And yet evangelicals have grown so accustomed to talking about the Bible this way that we hardly realize we’re doing it anymore. We talk about “biblical families,” “biblical marriage,” “biblical economics,” “biblical politics,” “biblical values,” “biblical stewardship,” “biblical voting,” “biblical manhood,” “biblical womanhood,” even “biblical dating” to create the impression that the Bible has just one thing to say on each of these topics - that it offers a single prescriptive formula for how people of faith ought to respond to them.

But the Bible is not a position paper. The Bible is an ancient collection of letters, laws, poetry, proverbs, histories, prophecies, philosophy and stories spanning multiple genres and assembled over thousands of years in cultures very different from our own.

When we turn the Bible into an adjective and stick it in front of another loaded word, we tend to ignore or downplay the parts of the Bible that don’t quite fit our preferences and presuppositions. In an attempt to simplify, we force the Bible’s cacophony of voices into a single tone and turn a complicated, beautiful, and diverse holy text into a list of bullet points we can put in a manifesto or creed. More often than not, we end up more committed to what we want the Bible to say than what it actually says.

Nowhere is this more evident than in conversations surrounding “biblical womanhood.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Growing up in the Bible Belt, I received a lot of mixed messages about the appropriate roles of women in the home, the church and society, each punctuated with the claim that this or that lifestyle represented true “biblical womanhood.”

In my faith community, popular women pastors such as Joyce Meyer were considered unbiblical for preaching from the pulpit in violation of the apostle Paul's restriction in 1 Timothy 2:12 ("I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent"), while Amish women were considered legalistic for covering their heads in compliance with his instructions in 1 Corinthians 11:5 ("Every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head").

Pastors told wives to submit to their husbands as the apostle Peter instructed in 1 Peter 3:1, but rarely told them to avoid wearing nice jewelry as the apostle instructs them just one sentence later in 1 Peter 3:3. Despite the fact that being single was praised by both Jesus and Paul, I learned early on that marriage and motherhood were my highest callings, and that Proverbs 31 required I keep a home as tidy as June Cleaver's.

Opinion: What all those Jesus jokes tell us

This didn’t really trouble me until adulthood, when I found myself in a childless egalitarian marriage with a blossoming career and an interest in church leadership and biblical studies. As I wrestled with what it meant to be a woman of faith, I realized that, despite insistent claims that we don’t “pick and choose” from the Bible, any claim to a “biblical” lifestyle requires some serious selectivity.

After all, technically speaking, it is “biblical” for a woman to be sold by her father to pay off debt, “biblical” for a woman to be required to marry her rapist, “biblical” for her to be one of many wives.

So why are some Bible passages lifted out and declared “biblical,” while others are explained away or simply ignored? Does the Bible really present a single prescriptive lifestyle for all women?

These were the questions that inspired me to take a page from A.J. Jacobs, author of "The Year of Living Biblically", and try true biblical womanhood on for size—literally, no “picking and choosing."

This meant, among other things, growing out my hair, making my own clothes, covering my head whenever I prayed, abstaining from gossip, remaining silent in church (unless I was “prophesying,” of course), calling my husband "master,” even camping out in my front yard during my period to observe the Levitical purity laws that rendered me unclean.

During my yearlong experiment, I interviewed a variety of women practicing biblical womanhood in different ways — an Orthodox Jew, an Amish housewife, even a polygamist family - and I combed through every commentary I could find, reexamining the stories of biblical women such as Deborah, Ruth, Hagar, Tamar, Mary Magdalene, Priscilla and Junia.

My goal was to playfully challenge this idea that the Bible prescribes a single lifestyle for how to be a woman of faith, and in so doing, playfully challenge our overuse of the term “biblical.” I did this not out of disdain for Scripture, but out of love for it, out of respect for the fact that interpreting and applying the Bible is a messy, imperfect and - at times - frustrating process that requires humility and grace as we wrestle the text together.

The fact of the matter is, we all pick and choose. We’re all selective in our interpretation and application of the biblical text. The better question to ask one another is why we pick and choose the way that we do, why we emphasis some passages and not others. This, I believe, will elevate the conversation so that we’re using the Bible, not as a blunt weapon, but as a starting point for dialogue.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Rachel Held Evans.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Opinion

soundoff (4,657 Responses)
  1. Colin

Can a Christian please help me? I am having trouble distinguishing the third example of circular reasoning from the first two. Perhaps you can explain the difference.

“I believe Obama is a great man because his biography says so, and the reason I believe his biography is that it is about Obama, who is a great man.”

“I believe David Koresh was a wise and great prophet because the Branch Davidians wrote a book saying he is. I believe that book because it was inspired by David Koresh, a wise and great prophet.”

“I believe God exists because it says so in the Bible. I believe the Bible because it is the inspired word of God.”

November 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • sheri

I can understand your reasoning and I agree with it. Growing up I never believed the Bible even though i was raised in a christian home, to me it was just a book and a tradition. It wasnt until young adulthood when I had an encounter with the Lord in a personal way that I believed. Then I could believe the Bible because I had MET the author and knew He was real. I can believe what the word says because I know Him and His character. I have never met Obama or David Koresh, or Allah. That is the difference. I could read a love letter from someone else to someone else, wouldnt affect me or change my life because i wasnt involved in that relationship. Its all about the personal involvement and relationship that gives the value to the letters. The Bible is a love letter from god to all of us, once I met him the letters became precious and meaningful. Does that make sense to you? It was a very legitimate argument and question.

November 18, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • sybaris

Pffft, reasoning is not allowed, get that mess outta here!

November 18, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • J. Scott Alexander

Colin,

I suspect you're not honestly having trouble distinguishing the first two from the third. But in the event that you are, the answer lies in several different areas. The first is that you mistakenly believe Christians think circularly as you've written. The foundational presupposition that Christians start with is that there is a God. Christians believe this because its not only the Bible that testifies to God's existence, it's all creation as well. The entire physical universe testifies to the fact that there is a creator. Your conscience also testifies that that there is a God. Second, you're comparing Branch Davidians and an Obama biographer with the Bible's multiple authors spread over hundreds of years and the unity of the message therein. Lastly, everyone worships something. You either worship yourself (and possibly some other object or deity), or the God of the Bible as revealed in Jesus. All decisions in this area are an act of faith.

November 18, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  2. JJ

"...she discovered that the word 'biblical' has an endless array of meanings." And they are all immoral, or khristians do what they do best - consider all their core values to be "negotiable." This is why they are fast becoming the minority.

November 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • God

So true. The hypocrisy is appalling. I work among a bunch of "christians" who run off to church every time the door is open, and then spend the rest of their time scheming to make as much money as possible, build ever bigger houses, etc...F the poor.

November 18, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. (h.c.) ©™

Do not assume that astute criticisms of the Bible signify a failure to read it many tomes.

November 18, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  3. Michael Longfellow

The fact of the matter is, we all pick and choose. It would take far too much time to explain the Christian message succintly put is :
    1. "all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God"
    2. Salvation is though his Son Jesus Christ.
    3. the proof is in the heart and our behavior toward God and people.

If some would actually read the Bible they would see that God did not approve of polygamy, slavery, or divorce. It is a book of successes and failures. Reliance of God vs reliance of self. When you see a parent punish a child you don't know the whole story. I don't really care what anyone feels about the death penalty, but I read a transcript of a friends killer appeal for his life and if I did not know the whole story I might sympathize. I would encourage all to read the Bible in its entirety with an open mind. I don't feel the same misunderstood way I felt as a youth. It has good values, and shows our imperfections.

November 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Colin

If God (or Yahweh, more accurately) did not support slavery or polygamy, why is solomon spoken of highly for having 700 wives and why are there rules laid down for how one is to be compensated if their slave is killed. Can you please point out one biblical text criticizing slavery or polygomy?

November 18, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • csalee

November 18, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • theorycraft

obviously because he was a playa and a pimp so his boys gave him mad props....

November 18, 2012 at 10:02 am |
    • Karen

Amen Michael. It shows the unconditional love of God- His awesome character- merciful, full of grace, longsuffering. The Word not only shows God's character, but also a mirror to show that we all, even "great men" like David are imperfect beings in need of a savior. God never condoned those things Rachel spoke about. Just like those who still commit atrocities today- just because CNN reports it- do they agree with it. Rachel, the Holy Ghost teaches us and leads us based one the Truth. If you are confused, as it sounds like you are sister, ask Him to dwell within you and ask for His wisdom. Lean not to your own understanding. If any man asks for wisdom, He gives it liberally. But sometimes we lean on our own thinking, judgement and intellect and won't allow the wisdom of God to teach us, but He longs to, just empty out your own pains, angers, and judgements- and ask him to teach you.

November 18, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  4. Bonnie

Sadly, another glancer at the Bible is shooting off the mouth in ignorance, and trying to make money in doing so. I have been intently studying the Holy Bible for ten years and I have found the word of God to prove itself absolutely true. This unlearned woman refers to the word of God as a "cacophony of voices", thus proving God's stance that the average woman should not be allowed to have authority over a man or teach a man, concerning God's word; she should learn in silence. God goes on to explain that Eve was thoroughly deceived and that is why she and all of her decendants are under the authority of man. The veil is a sign of being under authority. Our long hair serves as our veil, but our obedience to the word of God found in Jesus' teachings is the greatest sign of respect and acknowledgment of authority under our Almighty God, and His Son, Jesus Christ. God dictated the entire writings of the Bible through trusted men: see 2Peter 1:20 & 21.Please also see 2nd Timothy 3:16 & 17.

November 18, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • Earth to Bonnie! - earth to Bonnie! Come in Bonny. . .

November 18, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini, D.D. (h.c.) ©™

@ Bonnie:
      After only ten years of studying the Bible, you know that it is true?
      How amazing and prodigious!

November 18, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • sybaris

If you believe the bible then you must also believe texts that pertain to other religions.

November 18, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • End Religion

Proof Every Christian Goes to Hell by End Religion
      1) The only irredeemable sin against your Lord thy God is denying him, the Holy Spirit
      2) To deny is to refuse to admit truth of or to refuse to give that which is requested
      3) Any sin is to deny god of his commandments
      4) Therefore, even one sin results in a soul that cannot be forgiven. Sin once, and you're going to hell whether you repent or not. Since Christians are "born into sin" they're automagically damned to hell and cannot be forgiven.

November 18, 2012 at 10:03 am |
    • Mobius123

The majority of the Earth's people are not Christian, and they believe the Christian faith to be foolish and misguided.

Some of this majority even believe that Christian beliefs are heretical, and that these Christian infidels must convert to their "true religions" or be slaughtered to appease their "true gods".

That is the beauty of religion, to unite humanity.

November 18, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  5. scot pederson

test

November 18, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  6. Tyson

It is an interesting observation that who ever holds the mainline cultural view becomes equally intolerant. Ten or twenty years ago when the evangelical right controlled much of mainline culture they acted intolerant of those views that did not fall into agreement, specifically the progressive left. Now that the progressive left holds the keys to mainline culture they seem similarly intolerant to the evangelical right. Its funny reading these responses how non-religious people can be, "holier than thou".

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  7. ramsaxon

Through the years, we've been taught that man is an animal from the neck down; question is, what is man's head attached to?

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • godlike

his neck.

November 18, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Where did you go to school?!?!

November 18, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  8. jrbriaga

It's impossible to explain what it means to be a Christian to a non-Christian. The world view espoused and promoted by this network in it's 'reporting' and opinion pages will never promote a value system that reflects Jesus Christ and the New Testament way. The real 'danger' for readers is that they will believe what they read in these columns, instead of reading scripture and allowing God to reveal the truth.

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • If horses had Gods .. their Gods would be horses

Not being able to explain something does not mean that person cannot understand .. it means either you can't teach or what you are teaching is simply wrong and YOU can't accept it. It's also a very telling statement when you say "let God reveal the truth" .. that simply means YOU decided to believe it, it say nothing at all about what the "truth" actually is. That's where believing followers fail in their logic.

November 18, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Steve

Typical of the way certain Christians respond to articles like this, you missed the point and utterly failed to actually engage the material in any meaningful way. In other words you failed to engage your critical thinking apparatus. A genuine Christian would use the mind God gave them to engage material that they disagreed with. Genuine Christians recognize the genuine tension present in the process of application of the biblical texts that are from a different cultural and different languages with today's world. People who practice the kind of belief that you exhibit in your post are practicing folk religion, not genuine faith in Christ.

November 18, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • Bonnie

Well stated jrbriaga. And here's what Jesus says: "If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31 & 32. Free from misconceptions and absolute falsehood. Also at John 8:38 Jesus says, "I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things." Therefore, even the only begotten Son of God does not speak on his own, but only what God tells him and certainly, God also dictated to all the prophets and Apostles as well.

November 18, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Kevin

Thank you for your comment. You make a huge assumption that non-Christians know little about Christianity or have never been Christians ourselves. I was brought up by a religious family in a southern Baptist church. I went on church retreats, vacation Bible School, even a Billy Graham crusade. I was baptized at the age of 16. I went to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night and usually even Wednesdays until I turned 18. But I have always had a curiosity and there were just so many parts of the Bible that didn't make sense. And growing up in Mississippi in the 60s and 70s, I saw firsthand how many Christians used the Bible to justify horrible treatment of African Americans. My interest in the Bible and history led to me to study its origins, who wrote what, etc. My conclusion after 48 years of soul searching and study is that while there is much we can learn from the Bible, at its core it was written by men, men who were every bit as capable of error and mistakes as men today. This just seems so incredibly obvious that I can't believe so many Christians believe it without question. I always figured that God gave me a brain. Not to use it would be the biggest sign of disrespect I can imagine. It's OK that we don't have all the answers. To quote loosely from Carl Sagan, an orphan may not know where he came from but that does not mean that his parents were rich doctors and lawyers. They may have been young, unwed drug abusers. Our past is mostly irrelevant. It is the future that matters and clinging to centuries-old writings written by very flawed men is not the direction for an educated, compassionate, modern society to be going.

November 18, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • End Religion

Hey jr, did you catch that? Steve just judged you as not a real christian. The irony is delicious! Jr, your next move should be to tell him that judging is god' job not Steve's, and that he's not a "real" christian either. Then if you'd both take a moment to use your heads you could understand NO christian is a real christian since none of you can follow a single word from your book of rules, and further that maybe it's just all made up bullshit.

November 18, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  9. REDFIREBALL

The Hebrew Scriptures provide us with a complete "time line" from Man's beginning until Jesus Christ appeared on the Earth. We need the Old testament to full appreciate WHY Jesus came to earth and sacraficed his perfect human life. We also need the Hebrew scriptures to understand Jehovah's sense of power, love, wisdom and justice. Everything human is a reflection of Jehovah our Creator. To read everything from Genesis to Revelation is to better know all of His attributes and the purpose for our very existence. Jehovah does not need humans, we humans need Jehovah. Satan would have us believe otherwise, for his own selfish and jealous reasons. The Bible also helps us understand current events and what to expect in the future. John wrote Revelation while imprisoned on the Isle of Patmos. He had no clue what he was writing about, just knew he had to write it. The last scripture says that the scrolls were to be sealed for a future date - like a time capsule - until our modern time when Man would better understand their purpose. We today know more then John did at that time. See how Jehovah works?

November 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • mama k

"John wrote Revelation while imprisoned on the Isle of Patmos."

He sure did. And he must have crashed his camel into a lake of bath salts or worse to come up with that mess.

November 18, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • End Religion

Except that jesus timeline has been shifted around in for the sake of convenience...

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwnVCJ4Y00&w=640&h=360]

November 18, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  10. Dexter Wolff

The covering for a woman is her hair you dont have to put anything on your head. A woman's hair is her glory and should not be cut for any reason.

November 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • sybaris

Yes, yes it is. My wife is so envious of the Pentacostal women with their floor length hair and dresses made of denim.

That's hawt!!

November 18, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • snowboarder

that is just plain funny

November 18, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • End Religion

It's occasionally depressing to find there are so many cave people running around still, attributing mystical powers to hair and chanting to imaginary beings. Don't worry your little heads, we'll keep dragging you kicking and screaming into the future.

November 18, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  11. isa

Just because someone says they are a chriatian and believe in the bible doesnt make it a true statement. i can say im a pro basketball player and people may believe it until someone who knows basketball calls me out because i cannot even dribble down the court or cant make a layup. rachel definatley does not know the word of god in the bible. i pray she would get to know it and then use cnn as a tool to reach people for the Kingdom. but im sure if she wouldnt be allowed at that point.

November 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • REDFIREBALL

Jesus said, "Faith without works is dead in itself"

November 18, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  12. Dana

It must be make-believe day again.

November 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  13. Allaisa

All religions are bogus. The best use for religious texts is on a toilet paper which after use should be flushed down the toilet.

November 18, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  14. fortruth47

The bible can only be understood by believers in Christ. Believers in Christ are those who believe Jesus is the Son of God who died on a Cross and rose from the dead and his blood provided forgiveness of sins for all who will confess there sin and repent which means to change your life to turn from sin to obey Christ. The bible is foolishness to unbelievers. Romans 1v21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Ro 1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

November 18, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Dana

We can all understand it but it is nonsense.

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • sybaris

" The bible is foolishness to unbelievers"

Yes, yes it is but the reasons you allude are to give christians a false sense of superiority.

It's a marketing hook, "Hey look what YOU can do if only you drink the magic kool aide and repeat the sacred chant!"

November 18, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  15. Christian7

"I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily."– Issac Newton

November 18, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • sybaris

and?

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Allaisa

Just proves that he is an idiot when it comes to religion.

November 18, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Dana

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" – Carl Sagan

November 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Dana

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived" – Isaac Asimov

November 18, 2012 at 9:46 am |
    • Dana

"Religion has actually convinced people that there`s an invisible man - living in the sky - who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do..And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever `til the end of time! ...But He loves you." – George Carlin

November 18, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • Mobius123

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)

November 18, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Dana

"A man`s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." – Albert Einstein

November 18, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • Christian7

Dana, Every single prophesy stated in the Bible has a 100% accuracy over a 5000 year period of time. That last prophesy fulfilled was Israel being regathered in the land a 3rd time. That occurred on May 14, 1948. The evidence has no effect on people that refuse to look at it. There are extraordinary things about the Bible. You will probably die, before you look at the evidence. Then you have more evidence of hell than you want FOREVER!

November 18, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • Christian7

"He [Albert Eisenstein] was apparently in a relationship with his to-be-second wife while still with his first; the relationship lasted around two years, before he divorced his first wife."

November 18, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  16. Jesus is LORD

The bible is written by men directly inspired by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, a person must be born of the Spirit to begin to receive understanding of the word of God. The Spirit of God must reveal to a person what the word of God is saying. The word of God is foolishness to those who are perishing because the word must be spiritually discerned. To interpret it with your extremely limited intellect will bring much harm and error. The author and John Stewart has a faulty understanding of the old testament in light of the new testament. As well as the old covenant vs. the new. Nevertheless, she is on her journey and I hope and pray that she continues to seek for the King of kings. Unfortunately, at this juncture in her walk, because of her lack of understanding, and access to a wide audience, has caused more confusion and accusations. But God is bigger than all this! Seek and you will find, for all those who call upon the name of the Lord(JESUS) shall be saved!! God bless!!

November 18, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • God

You don't know what you're talking about.

November 18, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • Jon

Which Bible? Which Translation? In which Language? And in whose interpretation? And at which tme in history?

November 18, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  17. Christian7

Both religion and natural science require a belief in God for their activities, to the former He is the starting point, and to the latter the goal of every thought process. To the former He is the foundation, to the latter, the crown of the edifice of every generalized world view.— Max Planck (German theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory)

November 18, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • Mobius123

A religion old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science, might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later such a religion will emerge.
      — Carl Sagan

November 18, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  18. Dana

It's amazing the number of mindless people that still believe this absurd, magical nonsense.

November 18, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • ninedeep

A couple of hydrogen atoms collide and a couple of billion years later their are people. Although it is science, that is pretty magical to me.

November 18, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  19. Christian7

It is no longer enough that we pray that God may be with us on our side. We must learn again that we may be on God's side.
    — Wernher Von Braun (Lead Rocket Scientist for the Apollo Saturn V that successfully made it to the moon and back)

November 18, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • Mobius123

I was pretty good in science. But again, because of the small budget, in science class we couldn't do experiments in order to prove theories. We just believed everything. Actually I think that class was called Religion. Religion was always an easy class. All you had to do was suspend the logic and reasoning you were taught in all the other classes.
      — George Carlin

November 18, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  20. Dan

What I find funny? It seems as if most of Rachel Evans' proponents are non-believers, while her harshest critics are Christians.

November 18, 2012 at 9:39 am |