home
RSS
Rubio ignites debate with answer about creationism
November 19th, 2012

Rubio ignites debate with answer about creationism

By Dan Merica and Eric Marrapodi, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Florida Sen. Marco Rubio attempted to walk the line between science and faith-based creationism in remarks that that have provoked the ire of liberal blogs, leaving the door open to creationism in responding to a recent question about the age of the Earth.

When GQ’s Michal Hainey asked Rubio, in an interview released Monday, “How old do you think the Earth is,” the rising Republican star described the debate about the planet’s age as “one of the great mysteries.”

“I'm not a scientist, man,” Rubio told the interviewer. “I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States.”

“Whether the Earth was created in seven days, or seven actual eras,” Rubio continued, “I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.”

Most scientists agree that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and the universe is 14.5 billion years old. Christian Young Earth Creationists, on the other hand, argue that the weeklong account of God creating the Earth and everything in it represents six 24-hour periods (plus one day of rest) and date the age of the Earth between 6,000 and 10,000 years.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Left-leaning blogs and sites like ThinkProgress and Huffington Post jumped on Rubio’s comments, with the Zack Beauchamp from ThingProgress writing, “To suggest we can’t know how old the Earth is, then, is to deny the validity of these scientific methods altogether — a maneuver familiar to Rubio, who also denies the reality of anthropogenic climate change.”

Rubio is regarded as a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2016, though the senator says his visit last week to Iowa, home of the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses, had “nothing to do with 2016.”

His response to GQ’s age of the Earth query has also provoked questions about his political aspirations. Dave Weigel of Slate writes, “How can you read that and not think ‘Iowa’? ” The state is the first to hold a presidential caucus in 2016.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe that God created humans in their present form at one point within the past 10,000 years, according to a survey released by Gallup in June. That number has remained unchanged for the past 30 years, since 1982, when Gallup first asked the question on creationism versus evolution.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The second most common view is that humans evolved with God's guidance - a view held by 32% of respondents. The view that humans evolved with no guidance from God was held by 15% of respondents.

The Gallup poll has not specifically asked about views on the age of the Earth.

Rubio attends a Baptist church in southern Florida but also considers himself “a practicing Catholic.”

He was born Catholic, but his family converted to Mormonism when Rubio was 8 years old, according to Rubio’s recent memoir. The family left its LDS faith behind when it moved from Nevada back to Florida and Rubio was confirmed in the Catholic Church.

Catholic teaching is that science and faith are not at odds with one another and it is possible to believe what scientists say about the Earth’s age and in God. But many evangelical churches, including Baptist ones, promote a version of creationism.

When CNN reached out to Rubio’s Baptist church in Florida on Monday, a person answering the phone would not comment on its teachings about the Earth’s age and said that a church representative was unlikely to be available in the near term.

During the GQ interview, Rubio argued that “there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all.”

For the past 30 years, the “equal-time argument” –- the idea that Creationism taught alongside evolution -– has been popular method for Creationists to advance their cause. In the late 1980s, some state legislatures passed bills that promoted the idea of a balanced treatment of both ideas in the classroom.

In 1987, the issue made it all the way to the Supreme Court, where a Louisiana "equal-time law" was struck down. The court ruled that teaching creationism in public school classrooms was a violation of the Establishment Cause in the Constitution, which is commonly referred to as the separation of church and state.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Creationism • Politics

soundoff (6,211 Responses)
  1. Colin

Typical Christian position; "I am going to beliee something mindnumbingly stupid like the World is 6,000 years old or that a god impregnated a virgin with himself to give birth to himself so he could sacrifice himself to himself to forgive the original sin of a couple we now all know never even existed and the nget offended when atheist call me an idiot"

November 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Dakota

That appears to be a typical "I'm smarter than all Christians" remark. Isaac Newton was both a brilliant scientist and a Christian. You don't have to be dense to be a Christian. There are plenty out there who accept a theory of evolution as well as Creationism. Snobbery isn't a good argument.

November 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • manbearpig

But, Colin, you can't prove that there ISN'T a god. Ipso facto, god is real. LOL.

November 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
    • manbearpig

Dakota,
      There is no argument. It isn't even close. There is no evidence that supports god's existence. You may not have to be dense to believe ancient mythology without a shred of evidence, but you certainly have to be misguided. Or brainwashed...

November 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Colin

Dakota, I'm sorry, but Christians believe a lot of really childish things, like mindreading (or "prayers being heard" if you prefer) and ghosts and immortality (or "eternal life through Jesus Christ" if you prefer). If you believe this chidish c.rap, you are an idiot. I am sorry, but you are. As to Newton, he live 400 years ago. He was a product of his times. Your average (European) seventh grader knows more about the Universe than this brilliant man ever could.

November 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Dakota

@Colin,

I don't argue that Christans (and many, many other religions) believe things the average "intellectual" mind can deduce as irrational, but my point being this shouldn't be an attack on ALL followers of a religion. I think you raise a number of good points–there are a lot of things people can't accept. Birth by a Virgin? How's that possible? Created in seven days? I can't get my to-do list done in seven days, let alone create a whole universe. But my point was just that the condescending remarks like that belittle Christians who also believe in scientific reasoning. It's not impossible to do both. (In my humblest of opinions)

November 20, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Sam

There could be a God. And God created science. God created common sense also. Those who refuse to believe science seem to be rejecting the fact that God gave us intelligence to be used with common sense and science.

November 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
  2. Fred F.

Being in favor of science; evolution, the age of the earth and other theories supported by data does not make one an atheist. I say theory because all science is hypothesis and theory, though most people interpret that to mean "they don't really know" well "they" do know however, all good scientists and science is open to revision if new data is generated that results in conclusions being reevaluated. I am a scientist, I know that all things will be eventually explained by science, yet, I still believe in a "Higher Power" because, I believe there must be more to this life. I see science as trying to understand the universe and what better way can someone be closer to God than trying to understand God's creation. I say this as someone with BS in Environmental Science concentrating in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology with a soon to be MS in Biological Sciences.

November 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I've been wondering about a Higher Power too. I'm a competitive marksman and I've been thinking of moving up to .338 for 1000 yards. Kind of expensive, though.

November 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Fred F.

Hahaha Tom, nice

November 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • David

Throwing around degrees does nothing for your argument. Try having an original thought instead of assuming "there must be" something.

November 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • doug

thanks. You are not alone in the scientific community!

November 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • End Religion

Fellas, just don't let your belief in leprechauns taint your scientific results.

November 21, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  3. Loathstheright

Just more proof of what M0R0NS conservatives are....god never existed and never will, get over it, use reason and logic....oh, forgot, conservative, never mind.

November 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

You are so smart! Will you teach me how to be as smart as you are? We all seek to be as smart as CNN poster # 159295839

November 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • doug

Okay, then please address the gigantic holes with evolution. Or do you accept that by faith?

November 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do tell us all about the holes, honey. Then explain how you support the belief there's an invisible sky-fairy.

November 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Tom, we all know you live an "alternative" lifestyle...is it really necessary to call every man on this forum "honey?"

November 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • Athy

You could start by spelling atheist correctly. After that we can work on Dick and Jane.

November 20, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Athy, this moron thinks I'm a guy. Guess he's new here. Or stupid.

November 20, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

HAHA, I love trolling you athies because you make it so easy to get you angry. I think athies are dumber than the dumbest redneck bc they dont even know when someone is rattling their chain.

November 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, if it gets your dick in an upright position to think you've somehow scored a victory, go for it, dearie. I'm sure your sister will be thrilled!

November 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Tom...Im sorry, did you speak without being spoken to? Get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

November 20, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did you really think you mattered?

November 20, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Tom. Are you happily married or are you into a little BBC on the side?

November 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  4. deserthermit

But he looks so clean cut and there's flags in the back ground. Surely he's a patriot who knows right from wrong and is reasonable, sharp witted,and weighs all the evidence before making important decisions. He couldn't possibly think the world is only as old as the Chinese have been reading and breeding dogs.

November 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Fred F.

The second most common view is that humans evolved with God's guidance – a view held by 32% of respondents. The view that humans evolved with no guidance from God was held by 15% of respondents.

...so what I see here is that only 15% of American's have an concept of Science, 32% have a distorted view and 46% are scientifically illiterate.

It's really very sad actually, these ideas of the Earth's age have been confirmed and the concept of evolution via natural selection (though it is not the only way in which evolution occurs) have been around for what, 150 years? It's just silly that we had this debate in Darwin's time, we had it during the 1920's, and we've been having it more intensely again in the last 30 years thanks to the resurgence in fundamentalist Christians. Even the Catholic's accept the scientific determination of the age of the Earth. Anyway this entire thing just makes me sad, that people are so poorly informed, which is a result of the education system, which is created by the people we elect. I don't understand why we wouldn't want scientists and researchers running the world, they are the ones that know how to identify a problem or a question and then determine a way in which to solve the problem. The main problem is most scientists are poor communicators, especially when they are communicating with non-scientists.

November 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Fred F.

yes it is sad and sadly ironic.

In his attempt to evade the question, Sen. Rubio talks about how the age of the earth is unrelated to the economy.

Doubtless he will make other speeches about how the US is an incubator of technology and innovation and this will be the key to our future economy, without realizing that an education in the sciences, including such things as understanding that the earth really is much more than 10,000 years old, is essential for our next generation to become those people who will create innovative technologies.

November 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • deserthermit

It's is sad. All we can do is keep pressing on and try to teach our children. Stand up for reason at every opportunity.

November 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  6. deserthermit

What's with these people? Science isn't a bunch of loose opinions.

November 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

You're right...science is data. However, too many athiests prefer to skew data to mean that a foregone conclusion has taken place. Scince does not lead itself to conclusions, only data. What you do with it is an individual choice that philosophy must sort out.

November 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Observer

Speaking of skewing data, no one believes every word of the Bible. Believers just pick whatever agrees with their own feelings and ignore all the rest.

November 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Science does lead to conclusions, they are called scientific theories. Philosophy has never proven anything scientific.

November 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Blessed. You are incorrect. Science is concerned with obtaining objective data. Philosophy is what you use to determine what to make of the data. This is something that has been forgetten since philosophy has been recently dominated by WLC and the atheists disregard philosophy now since they cannot compete in it.

November 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, my goodness!! I had no idea that we had an expert on philosophy AND science here! Goshers, let me get my genuflector out and make good use of it!!! A genius is among us–one who knows all there is to know about science, philosophy, religion, and literature. Oh, wait a minute. My bad. Anyone who was actually knowledgable about any of those fields would be able to spell "atheist."

Erase all that.

November 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Why would I correct that when I am doing such a great job of rustling your jimmies keeping it the way it is?

November 20, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder is you'd correct an error in programming, then? Doesn't say much for your mad skyllz, does it?

November 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Correcting a programming error gives me the desired outcome. Correcting this error is self defeating since I love evoking the ire of grammar nazis like yourself. You have Language OCD.

November 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Philosophy is what you use to determine what to make of the data."

Why don't you point me to the place where philosophers go and ana.lyze all the data astronomers collect?

November 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, Athi dummy, but I just point out errors I see. You've made a lot of them.

November 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Blessed. You dont have to be a philosopher to utilize philosophy. Philosophy is the study of logic. So unless you are conceding that scientists are illogical then I presume they use it.

November 20, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • gary

"forgetten", "Athiest"

Wow, dude. You should probably study a little more English and then back to us on your "philosophy" and "science". lol.

November 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

:) The guy's two sandwiches shy of a picnic.

November 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ gary... another person who critiques typing on CNN....if I was a dou-che like you I would point out that your name should be capitalized since you are a proper noun. So much for your language skills.

November 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

People are proper nouns? Do tell. I knew NAMES were proper nouns. I never heard a person was. Goodness me.

November 20, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@Tom...funny of you to continually harp on my typing. I can tell you how equally humorous it is when females attempt to study computer science and how miserably they fail at basic tasks that most male students knew before coming in. Does it boil your blood to know that women really are inferior in that department?

November 20, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

So doctors use philosophy to help cure disease.....ok.....you are an idiot. You cannot be taken seriously until you can spell 'atheist' correctly.

November 20, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

idiot...idiot...idiot... I feel more intelligent by calling people an idiot.

November 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • End Religion

didn't this comment thread start with "Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits" prancing gleefully that he had gotten under someone's skin, and now here he is at the end of the thread totally unhinged? LOL!

November 21, 2012 at 12:31 am |
  7. Observer

Palin was given a test to name any newspapers or magazines she read. She flunked.

Rubio was given an intelligence test, too. He flunked.

November 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

And yet, despite Rubio's ignorance, according to you, everyone knows who he is and you are still a nobody. Good job.

November 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Nice observation.

November 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Observer

Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits,

Pitiful response. You are a nobody, too. Pointless.

November 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Your point is moot because I was not the one who was insulting someone who has more clout, social standing, and public interest than myself. You did therefore you should be open to public ridicule.

November 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Umm. You don't know how to spell "atheist."

Point, set, match.

November 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Tom is a real life Sheldon Cooper...down to the life choice preference of the real life actor.

November 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • David

@ Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits – It's funny how much of a hypocrite you are. Apparently you know nothing of science and your only come back is to belittle. You generalize and assume you are better than the rest of us. I see religion has severed you well. You're nothing but an immature grownup who needs God to deal with reality and who stopped looking for life's answers before you were a teenager.

November 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm |

Left a mark, huh?

November 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Wrong, I actally am a Computer Scientist. Different from your point of view I see. Everything I have observed in my field shows me that intelligence and design are everything. It is funny to see your type cross over to my field and quickly become disappointed that their theories about intelligence and randomity arent so well supported here. Anything can be said but simulating it seems to be a different matter.

November 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did you really think "computer" or "scientist" were capitalized, egomaniac? What a laugh.

November 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Tom, I thought gay people were named such because they were happy once upon a time? You are very spiteful for a gay man.

November 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gosh, you're even dumber than I imagined. I'm not a man. I'm not gay. I'm female and married-to the same man for over 30 years.

Hope you like crow.

November 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

"The only thing worse than arguing with a gay man is arguing with a woman" – Some muslim somewhere

Aww, ok then. Thanks for telling me that you are a woman so I can disregard everything you have ever said.

November 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thanks for confirming you're a complete axxhole so everyone else can ignore everything you say, sweet cheeks.

November 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Ildrig Maas

@ Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits. How can you talk about science when you don't even know how to write the pseudonym that you have chosen for yourself? It is obvious that you missed not only science classes, but also English grammar.

November 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

I am so awesome at exposing athies true colors. Dont you see how you have been totally trolled into showing that you are all fur coat and no trousers?

November 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The only thing you've "exposed" is your own ignorance, stupidity, and lack of education.

Do you see anyone here coming to your defense? I wonder why that is.

November 20, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Tom. I suppose it is because CNNs "religious" section is predominately frequented by more neckbeards, atheists, and the odd female named Tom instead of truly relgious people. As much as you insult me, dont you see how odd it is that so many people who have no belief would want to troll religious threads?

November 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No one will ever accuse you of being imaginative or original, dear.

You have a nice night.

November 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • End Religion

"Wrong, I actally am a Computer Scientist."

that was good for a laugh. Trying to sound important when meanwhile he's a PC Help Desk nerd. Woo-hoo, that's a good one!

***
      "Everything I have observed in my field shows me that intelligence and design are everything."

If intelligence is everything then you are nothing. How do you keep your job? So, you've noticed that being a computer tech requires requires some smarts, and somehow, you've equated plastic and metal bits pumped out of a factory in China are somehow equivalent to the Universe? Sounds to me like being a "computer scientist" requires a steady diet of reality TV, Nora Roberts novels and Teletubbies rather than intelligence.

November 21, 2012 at 12:42 am |
  8. Gregg

I'm amazed at the pseudointellectual arrogance displayed by many of the posters here. This is part of Rubio's response to GQ's gotcha attack. Is it not reasonable?

"At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

November 20, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Never be surprised by the pseudo intellectual arrogance displayed by random would-be Sheldon Coopers on CNNs religious boards.

November 20, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Gregg,

did you intend your question to be rhetorical?

This: "Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.

Is patent bullsh!t. We really DO KNOW that the earth wasn't created in 7 literal days. It's not a mystery. Someone who serves on the Senate Subcommittee for Science and Space should be able to answer the question "How old is the earth" without evasion.

Rubio evaded the question and paraded a bunch of talking points for fundie voters in 2016. He's campaigning. He probably accepts that the earth really is 4.5 billion years old but doesn't have the intellectual honesty to say so – because he is in candidate shapeshifter mode.

November 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • rational minnesota

Simply put, no, it is not reasonable.

It is denial of the culmination of decades of scientific research performed by thousands of scientists of every creed and color. It is either shameless pandering to right-wing fundamentalist christian voters or a total lack of understanding regarding how science works and what it knows. It is either willfully misleading or shamefully ignorant and a misrepresentation of science.

November 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Never be surprised at the idiocy displayed by morons who can't even spell their own monikers.

November 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Gregg

Not a GOPer...

About that 4.5 billion years. Perhaps you meant to qualify that with "The current scientific consensus is..." GQ tried to jump Rubio. Let's be real. I think Rubio's response that the Earth's age has nothing to do with our current economic morass was spot on. He's not going to be a patsy to the media now or in 2016.

November 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Ha. You probably thought Palin was a gift, too.

November 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Gregg,

sure, I accept "the current consensus is' etc.

Rubio is demonstrating that he is a shapeshifter. He does not have the intellectual honesty to answer the question.

This debate is not about what he believes – he didn't tell us. It is about the fact that he is a panderer.

November 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • Gregg

Tom, Tom

Perhaps Rational Minnesota [sic] is the "culmination" of a liberal education.

November 20, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Gregg

Not a GOPer

I thought Rubio's answer was not evasive but, rather, much deeper than a simple, "4.5 billion years. Next."

November 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Same old same old ...

Senator Rubio, how old do you think the earth is?

Governor Rmony, what is your economic plan?

Rep. Ryan, how will your tax plan increase revenue?

Do they really think that non-answers that consist of plat!tudes for their base will help their credibility. It's fine by me by the way.

November 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Gregg,

seriously? You're kidding me? You really don't think that this (follows) was evasive?

"Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Essentially – "I'm not a scientist – I'm just on the Science committee and influence science legislation, but I don't know the first freaking thing about science!"

It's TOTALLY evasive. He never tells us what HE thinks the answer is.

November 20, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Rational

Rubio is another panderer for profit. Let him run. It'll be a pleasure to see him wave the banner of ignorance and lose.

November 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

With a name like Rational, how can you not be? Perhaps next time you can post as Rational, PhD so we can really trust some random poster on a CNN comment section.

I just want you to know that your comment was so profound that I think Billy Graham and all the world's Christians are renouncing their believes as we speak.

November 20, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Rational

to "Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits:" you sure are off the reality axis and you sure can't spell

November 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Athiest 101: Dismiss people by insulting because you have no real comeback.

November 20, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Did you forget your screen name already, hypocrite?

November 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nah. Dismiss idiots because they don't have a leg to stand on, and because no one gives a crap about their opinions, since they lost the election.

November 20, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

@ Tom...youre right...I must have missed how the Democrats took back the House. Thanks for reminding me.

November 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yet another one who can't spell atheist

Athy
      Athier
      Athiest (the most 'athy' one can be)

November 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, dear. Let me remind you that "you're" has an apostrophe, sweetie. Were you absent on that day back in 5th grade?

November 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

With a name like "Athiests," how can anyone read your spew without laughing hysterically?

Are you really imagining that your opinions matter when you're an illiterate dolt, honey?

November 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Horbie

You know when someone is losing an argument when they start critisizing other posters spelling. Good work

November 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Looks like religion is finally drying up in the States. Even Republicans can't rely on it. Hope it doesn't leave a stain.

November 20, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

critisizing isn't a word, Hor.

November 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Gregg

Seriously, Rational? Rubio's answer was waving the flag of ignorance? You should be so ignorant. And gracious.

November 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, if you like the guy so much, vote for him. I'd love to see him on the ticket opposite just about any Democrat. Go for it!

November 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  10. John

I can't wait until Rubio is the next Republican candidate for president. Any Democrat will be elected.

November 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Rein

People of faith who deny worldly science and the scientific method line-up every day for the medical treatments and medications that wicked laboratory research provides. They should rely on faith healing instead, and if the result is death then heaven is waiting! Why seek scientific cures, when eternal bliss in paradise awaits? It is SATAN who tempts us to dial 9-11!

November 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Medical science was not historically the realm of athiests. Where you get that idea, Ill never know.

November 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do explain, ninny. Do you imagine that all doctors are Christians? Where's your evidence of that? Provide it along with citations, dearie.

November 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

Tom, you listen as well as every other athiest I have talked to. I never said nor implied that all Christians are doctors. What a sad and deaf speciman you are. Have you not evolved reading compression skills?

November 20, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's "specimen," dear. Get back to me when you graduate from high school.

November 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If you're an M.D., honey, let me know so I can report you to the state board and get your license revoked.

November 20, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • doug

straw man argument. Got anything else?

November 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
  12. John Diomitron

The intelligence of the intelligent and the wisdom of the wise will soon be confounded by Him who created the Creation. Who can hide from the Most High? No one can! He sees all, hears all, knows all, and nothing is hidden from Him. He is holy, righteous, and just...AND HE DOES NOT CHANGE! Mankind will once again see the powers and wonders of the LORD God. It will not tarry much longer.

Now! Now! He just heard that thought that went through your mind as you read this. Darkness can't hide from the eternal Light...not even in the deepest recesses of your feeble mind! Don't be upset with me. I am just His messenger!

November 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Matt

I'm glad you have an invisible friend, but please keep it to yourself.

November 20, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Athiests are insecure pseudo-pundits

It is funny to see all the little boys and girls who spout how God isnt real and religion is BS. And how Hawking is the closet thing to god the Earth has lol. Despite your constant beratement of all things Christian, you continually show up on blogs abou religion like anti-Twihards on a Twilight forum. You talk about God and belief more than any minister ever did. You are closet bible thumpers and you know it. Its hilarious how much time you waste disparaging what you call "imaginary." Grow up, get a job, move out of mommys basement. People like Shedlon are only funny on TV, not on CNN comment threads.

November 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So Hawking is the 'closet thing'?

Honey, my parents are gone; they died years ago. I moved out when I was 18. I own my home. I own my car. I have sufficient savings to allow me to retire from my career. I can actually spell words and write complete sentences, unlike you.

Get over yourself, moron.

November 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, yeah, and it's "SHELDON" you stupid git.

November 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

You have much to learn about internet forums and atheists, pseudowackjob. Learn well.

November 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Matt

Unfortunately, for every ONE sane voice of reason, there are thousands of voices of insanity blathering constantly and loudly about the "truth" of their mythologies. If only Atheists had the same television networks, radio stations, infrastructure, and billions of $$$ that the Catholic church or US megachurches have. I'm also a little concerned about your fascination with calling adults little boys and girls. You might want to purge your harddrive, I hear police are really cracking down on that kind of stuff now.

November 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Mark

Just another politician who will tell whatever croud they want to hear to try and get their votes, like Christie and the others. We cannot trust these bums!

November 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  15. Robert Morwell

I can't help but believe Rubio knows the earth is billions of years old, but he has to pander to fundamentalists who hold the GOP hostage. That lack of courage is not attractive in a leader.

November 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Akira

Barry Goldwater had it right 50 years ago...

November 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No it is very unattractive – particularly for a member of the Senate Subcommittee on Science and Space.

November 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  16. mz

Science is ignorance.

November 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • lbpaulina

Good!
      I'm even wondering why you learned reading and writing. You never flied, I mean with an airplane, am I right? You should take a plane though.
      You could go to Papuasia – Nuova Guinea, where you could visit some populations who live in full harmony with your theory. Be only careful, because they still practice cannibalism and they are known to be head hunters, but they fully believe that science is ignorance.

November 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
  17. bdavis

How many assumptions are the "scientific" theories based on? And how many scientific facts have been shown to be false, even outright hoaxes? Faith transcends the ignorance that we're all handicaped with. Not that lack of evidence or knowledge are proof. But just look at the creation, it cries out that there is a supreme creator. Even the second law of thermodynamics is supposed to claim that energy goes from a useable to an unuseable state. Do you really think that all that complexity and order just happened on it's own? Just look at how hard man has to struggle just to make his little things work and how easily they break down and fail.

November 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Bishop Hairy Palms

Thanks for proving that you know nothing about science. You should run as a Republican candidate for office. You'll go far in the party of crazy!

November 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Matt

"Faith transcends the ignorance"
      WRONG
      Faith transcends EVIDENCE and therefore knows NOTHING.

November 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • Really?

Forget abt science... Just common sense is enough to see past false creationist theories

November 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Matt

"Do you really think that all that complexity and order just happened on it's own? Just look at how hard man has to struggle just to make his little things work and how easily they break down and fail."
      Just because YOU don't understand how something works doesn't mean it doesn't mean there isn't a non-mythological / non-mystical explanation for it. Before we understood how thunder works we attributed it to deities. I doubt we will ever have a good scientific explanation for how the universe was created but that doesn't mean we must assume there was some mythological creator for it.

November 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  18. wil

Know more than your tiny troll mind can begin to comprehend, have a good night sweetie.

November 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  19. MikeinMN

Well educated Hispanic. Yeah, run him for President next time. Sure winner.

November 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  20. judith

Rubio has gotten pander to the GOP base–that's what this is all about. Do we have future Mitt in the making? He'll lose just as badly.

November 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73