home
RSS
Rubio ignites debate with answer about creationism
November 19th, 2012

Rubio ignites debate with answer about creationism

By Dan Merica and Eric Marrapodi, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Florida Sen. Marco Rubio attempted to walk the line between science and faith-based creationism in remarks that that have provoked the ire of liberal blogs, leaving the door open to creationism in responding to a recent question about the age of the Earth.

When GQ’s Michal Hainey asked Rubio, in an interview released Monday, “How old do you think the Earth is,” the rising Republican star described the debate about the planet’s age as “one of the great mysteries.”

“I'm not a scientist, man,” Rubio told the interviewer. “I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States.”

“Whether the Earth was created in seven days, or seven actual eras,” Rubio continued, “I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.”

Most scientists agree that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and the universe is 14.5 billion years old. Christian Young Earth Creationists, on the other hand, argue that the weeklong account of God creating the Earth and everything in it represents six 24-hour periods (plus one day of rest) and date the age of the Earth between 6,000 and 10,000 years.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Left-leaning blogs and sites like ThinkProgress and Huffington Post jumped on Rubio’s comments, with the Zack Beauchamp from ThingProgress writing, “To suggest we can’t know how old the Earth is, then, is to deny the validity of these scientific methods altogether — a maneuver familiar to Rubio, who also denies the reality of anthropogenic climate change.”

Rubio is regarded as a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2016, though the senator says his visit last week to Iowa, home of the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses, had “nothing to do with 2016.”

His response to GQ’s age of the Earth query has also provoked questions about his political aspirations. Dave Weigel of Slate writes, “How can you read that and not think ‘Iowa’? ” The state is the first to hold a presidential caucus in 2016.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe that God created humans in their present form at one point within the past 10,000 years, according to a survey released by Gallup in June. That number has remained unchanged for the past 30 years, since 1982, when Gallup first asked the question on creationism versus evolution.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The second most common view is that humans evolved with God's guidance - a view held by 32% of respondents. The view that humans evolved with no guidance from God was held by 15% of respondents.

The Gallup poll has not specifically asked about views on the age of the Earth.

Rubio attends a Baptist church in southern Florida but also considers himself “a practicing Catholic.”

He was born Catholic, but his family converted to Mormonism when Rubio was 8 years old, according to Rubio’s recent memoir. The family left its LDS faith behind when it moved from Nevada back to Florida and Rubio was confirmed in the Catholic Church.

Catholic teaching is that science and faith are not at odds with one another and it is possible to believe what scientists say about the Earth’s age and in God. But many evangelical churches, including Baptist ones, promote a version of creationism.

When CNN reached out to Rubio’s Baptist church in Florida on Monday, a person answering the phone would not comment on its teachings about the Earth’s age and said that a church representative was unlikely to be available in the near term.

During the GQ interview, Rubio argued that “there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all.”

For the past 30 years, the “equal-time argument” –- the idea that Creationism taught alongside evolution -– has been popular method for Creationists to advance their cause. In the late 1980s, some state legislatures passed bills that promoted the idea of a balanced treatment of both ideas in the classroom.

In 1987, the issue made it all the way to the Supreme Court, where a Louisiana "equal-time law" was struck down. The court ruled that teaching creationism in public school classrooms was a violation of the Establishment Cause in the Constitution, which is commonly referred to as the separation of church and state.

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Creationism • Politics

soundoff (6,211 Responses)
  1. lionlylamb

Luke, wrote,"Until recently, astronomers estimated that the Big Bang occurred between 12 and 14 billion years ago."

I prefer to understand the physical makeup of our point within the vast Cosmos to be formed from a steadied state of constant fluxuations much like one's breath that breathes in and breathes out. The Cosmos, in my views are of immeasurable amounts of declared universes far too numerous to ever be realized in fullness let alone photographed by telescopic magnification.

November 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Sorry.... posted this in the wrong location...
      1) Are you saying you believe in an expanding, followed by a contracting universe? I.e., a big bang followed by a big crunch?

2) Are you suggesting that if one universe existed outside of our own, we would/should be able to view it with a telescope?

November 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Furthermore, The age of the Cosmos is arbitrarily an unsubstantiated theory due the universal averaging of interstellar universes' steadyingly declared existentialism being the motivating factor of each and every universe coming into existance thru a steadied state of consistent fluxuations thusly bringing into existence universes of many variating ages. Our universe may be say 16 billion years old while over at the far end of the Cosmos there is a universe just coming of age and is only say 2 billion years old. What one views telescopically in ever increasing increments will be born in an ever increasing age of theorized universailsm regarding the age of the Cosmos ever full of innumerable universes made or becoming made or even dying of old age.

November 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • lionlylamb

GodFreeNow,

November 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@lionlylamb, It's good to have an imagination and your own theories, but before posting your ideas, you may want to see if anyone has already figured out what you are writing. How the age of the universe is calculated is actually a fascinating science. I encourage you to research it thoroughly and you will see why this particular theory doesn't match up to mathematical reality.

November 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

lionlylamb

"I view the cosmos as being ever innumerably full of universes, some young, some old and some just beginning and others reaching their ending."

You're referring to M-theory? My initial question was regarding your "breathing in and out" statement. That would imply expansion and contraction.

November 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Mrs. Pepperpot

GFN:
      If I am reading it correctly, and I will be the first to admit that I probably am not, what I think he is saying is 1) he doesn't know how big the universe is, because it constantly fluctuates, and 2) he doesn't know how old it actually is, because new solar systems are constantly being formed, and although *ours* may be _____years old, the newly formed one, by the time we may become aware of it, is already _____years old.

This leads me to conclude that the term 'universe' may be incorrect; 'multiverse' may be a better label.

But then, what the fvck do I know? I'm just a (shudder) *woman*, and one who the author of this post has deemed irreparably shallow.

November 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • Mrs. Pepperpot

Ok, he 'splained it. Never mind.

November 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

@Mrs. Pepperpot, I swear it requires more intellectual discipline to understand some of these posts than it does to understand the physics they're loosely sti.tching together into a philosophy. Thanks for the help.

November 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • lionlylamb

GodFreeNow,

My or maybe someone elses theory regarding a breathing Cosmos (Not one but innumerable universes) is ever going thru a breathing type of expansion and contraction. Sorry but I have never heard of "M Theory",,,

November 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Mrs. Pepperpot,

Don't be cynical regarding your knowledge Mrs P. I too have knowledgable discrepencies and am always flexing my mind thru my writings which sometimes are even hard for me to rightly understand when I re and ever re read them. To me the Cosmos is so vast that its immensely great size could well be a dimension of relativity not unlike our own perspectives here among the stars in spatial recognitions.

November 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • lionlylamb

I feel it is time to clean my clock so to write. When I was 33, I had a mental breakdown of such severity, I was placed in a sanitarium or sanatorium. Not once but twice. Each time I was ordered to be there for six months or more but in each stay I was released after only a month stay each time. My nervous breakdown was due to the work I use to do in that my employer would not take out of my pay the needed resources to cover the taxes and such. He slipped to me a 1099 form instead of a w-2 or w-4 or whatever form. I could not come to terms of owing such an amount of income taxes for in all my past working days, my past employers would all take out my taxes for me. I totally lost it!

November 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@lionlylamb

I appreciate your forthrightness, and I suggest that to need professional psychiatric treatment after something as minor as back taxes evidences a tendency to mental instability overall. I feel for you, and I do not begrudge you your needed spirituality, but you must understand that you are not fit for telling others what is and is not reality. You are clinging to a mental "totem" which is understandable, but it is not one that we all must accept just because it is comforting to you. Best wishes!

November 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Moby Schtick,

Do you perchance have a degree in psychiatry wherewith you can issue one like me; for to be an arbiter of consultative sakes? I don't think you do. Am I wrong for thinking this?

November 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

:) best wishes, ll.

November 24, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Mrs. Pepperpot

Lionly, with all due respect, you are the one that told me I was shallow.

November 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  2. Pedro

Evolution is a myth

November 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • midwest rail

Swing and a myth....

November 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

But your book about zombies walking the earth is completely true...... right Pedro?

November 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  3. Luke

@ End Religion..I think you gave the silly ones too much to chew on..they have not said anything in a while.

November 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • End Religion

Thank you, kind sir. It's been a while since anyone told me I had too much to chew on.

November 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

haha

November 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • lol??

ER, you could wipe the oatmeal off your chin. "Sides, it's not polite to eat in front of others without offerin'. No upbringin'? Even Monica knew that.

November 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • End Religion

I already wiped my chin off on your thigh while we were 69ing. Thanks for offering to "catch" while I "pitch" afterward.

November 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • lol??

Poor Hillary. Having to hear, "I did not have oatmeal with that woman!" over and over.

November 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

The wit is appreciated and admired! thanks.

November 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Don

Luke, sorry I didn't have an entire day to chat with you guys. ER didn't say anything we haven't all heard before. So I am still waiting to answer to my question.

November 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look, Don's lying again.

November 24, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • Don

Piper, what am I lying about? You post a lot of things that just don't make any sense.

November 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  4. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Don and ? must be putting that plasma cutter in the trunk....

November 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • Luke

how heavy do you think that is? I would imagine a plasma cutter to fight atheists would be pretty heavy.. oh and Piper's son..maybe they are using their engineering skills in "thermal dynamics" to sew up some warm coats for their cold trek to Nebraska.

November 24, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • End Religion

You mean they're shoving their plasma cutters into each other's fudge cutters?

November 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Luke

The all-new THERMAL DYNAMICS® TRUE™ Series CUTMASTER® 42 is one of the most affordable, highest quality 1/4" (6 mm) plasma systems on the market. As part of the TRUE Series, you can rely on the CUTMASTER 42 to cut all day at its recommended cutting capacity and to pack more punch when you need it

November 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
  5. Robyn

Hey "man", I Marco Rubio, can't answer questions like that. If you say what is '2+2', I have to answer that it is one of the great mysteries of life, because Grover Norquist has to tell me what answer he wants me to parrot back today.

November 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  6. Evangelical

Nearly all the atheists posting here who hold science up like it is a religion know very little about science. I'm willing to bet that I have studied more science than they have. The difference is that I don't place my faith in science. Science is their religion and logic is their god.

November 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'll bet you haven't. But since you'll lie about it, who cares?

November 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • lilly

Well, yeah! But I can tell you how fast you are gonna fall off that 10 story building and how long before you go splat on the ground. I can PROVE that, still waiting for your proof.

November 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Luke

@ Evangelical.. I am a student studying geospatial information sciences, remote sensing and biology. I am in the Fisheries and Wildlife Department at the School of Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, I was also a US Marine. You are very ignorant and rude. Let us debate..I will win over any scientific topic you chose.

November 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Luke

and by the way, logic is not "our" god..it is what disproves yours.

November 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm |

*going to get popcorn*

November 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • lilly

*clapping hands* Can I watch too.

November 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • lol??

popcorn? More like carnal corn.

November 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • lol??

Wait, wait! Make that 2 boxes of carnal p o r n. Sorry for being impulsive. That can lead to procreation.

November 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Evangelical had to choose between science books and a zombie book......and then implies those that don't accept the zombie book are being dumb.

November 24, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • Evangelical

@Cheese

The Bible is full of FACTS. The science books are full of THEORIES. Learn the difference.

November 24, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Evangelical,

What FACT is in the bible that proves your god is real?

November 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  7. trex

.......the ONLY thing that is "A MYSTERY"........is the GOP's belief in spirts and demons over ROCK SOLID SCIENCE.....GOD gave us BRAINS to use..............I guess the GOP is conserving theirs...............

November 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • trex

......and you BIBLE thumpers out there...........I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER, CHRIST HIS SON, AND THE HOLY SPIRT............and I also know that GOD gave us reason and thought to USE.............and HIS love will finally conquer evil and stupidity............

November 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • lilly

The GOP play to their base, do you really think so many of them can mouth the same nonsense over and over and really believe it. I wonder. If they do, would you really want them making decisions for you and if they don't and lie about it would you really want them making decisions for you? They play to the least educated, but I assume the rest of us(Fiscal Republicans) will just fall in line. I voted for Obama and will continue to vote Independent or Democratic until they expunge the social conservative or at least shut them up.

November 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Captain Kirk

Dammit, trex! I . . . . . warned you be . . . .fore about . . . . using my . . . . speech cadence in your . . . . . .. . . . posts. It's copyrighted . . . .. . You'll be . . . . hearing from my . . . . . lawyers!

November 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  8. End Religion

Which bible verse points to plasma cutters?

November 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The one that mentions Thermal Dynamics! Ask ?.

November 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • End Religion

If they were smart they might try to say god is the plasma cutter....
      They've already redefined plasma to mean "that which has been molded."
      So it isn't a foggy-brained religious person's leap in weak logic to say god molded men, therefore he is a plasma cutter.

November 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Correctlycenter

Newsflash: You're not god, He is... Atheism/humanism is a religion bub...

November 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • End Religion

@IncorrectlyRight: Perhaps you should pray to me, your new god. While my intellect may not be dizzying, yours is of such deficiency that mine must seem staggering and magical to you. I am performing what appears to be miracles on this blog daily. May I point out that I also only demand a tithe of 9.5% and am therefore a more economical choice? I also provide each of my sheep his/her own planet upon death, and 50 virgins upon a martyr's death.

November 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
  9. Akira

Apparently, Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son's "perversion" is his critical thinking skills and an innate ability to debate using logic and science to back up what he says.
    I don't think that is "perversion"; methinks ? needs to look up what the word means before tossing it blindly about as an insult ? doesn't even understand the meaning of.
    Just my two cents, reading a thread that has highly entertained me.

November 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

? is some cowardly little liar who is ashamed of having been outed as a dumbazz in previous threads. This run of comments is typical.

November 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • End Religion

? and others seem to believe TTPS is a gay male although Tom has stated many times she is female. She may have to say it a few more times though because the tiny brain inside just about any religious person's head is so crammed with bible verses there is not much room left for actual facts or powers of reason and logic. Their brain cycles are simply all used up trying to constantly puzzle out how the absurd fiction of the bible can be aligned with the scientific reality. It's a wonder their brain has cycles remaining even for involuntary functions like breathing.

November 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Akira

Sorry, Tom, Tom, I didn't know you were female; I'm new to this blog.
      Mea culpa for assuming.

Thanks, End Religion, for the information, although I don't think that if TT WERE a gay male, it would be termed a "perversion", any more than anyone's gender preference should be.

November 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • End Religion

The use of "perversion" isn't mine. It is what I believe is meant by others, who have accused Tom of perversion previously, and since they are religious many of them do feel it's a perversion. I personally couldn't care less which consenting adult one pokes or with which kitchen utensil.

November 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

No worries, Akira. ? is a troll who appears here under dozens of names but is instantly recognizable as a blockhead without peer.

November 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just for the record, though, I am female and straight. I picked my screen name because for some odd reason the nursery rhyme from which it comes just popped into my mind one day while I was posting here.

Apparently, this mystifies the fundies.

November 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • lol??

Just like Athena popped out. The Greeksters sure have a problem with the birds and the bees.

November 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

Thank the flying spaghetti monster we have some atheist women out here! They may be our last hope setting religious men straight on good fantasies versus bad fantasies.

November 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • End Religion

I think Akira is female too, if I remember correctly.

November 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  10. lilly

So, "“I'm not a scientist, man,” Rubio told the interviewer. , and Whether the Earth was created in seven days, or seven actual eras,” Rubio continued, “I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.”, hmmm. So apparently Rubio thinks you have to be a scientist to understand how the world works? Well Rubio, I'm not a scientist but I understand that if I step off a tall building gravity is not going to be my friend. Do rub what brain cells you have and get them working. I've always said the major side effect of religion is that it seems to shut down brain functions connected to critical thinking.

November 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • lilly

And further, if Rubio truly believes this do you really want someone who doesn't understand how the world works making decisions for you, if he doesn't believe the whole creation nonsense and is just mouthing off to "his" base do you really want a disingenuous person making decisions for you?

November 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Evangelical

You would do well to put your faith in God and not in science.

November 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
    • lilly

Sorry I don't put faith in things that are made up fantasies.

November 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • lilly

Two word Evangelical, PROVE IT, then we'll talk.

November 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • mama k

Evangullible, the champion of gullibility.

November 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
    • Evangelical

God is no fantasy. I agree with what previous posters posted below. You just don't want to be held accountable for your sins. Thus you say that God is made-up, as if saying it makes it true.

November 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • lilly

So if you believe in god, you don't do bad things, really, REALLY? HHMMMM.

November 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • lilly

Actually I'm a huge believer in accountability. I don't do bad things not because some scary demon is gonna torture me for all eternity but because it's the right thing to do.

November 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Evangelical

Even believers do bad things, but they know that they will be held accountable come judgment.

November 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

All your statement says, Eva, is that you have no moral center of your own and require the threat of eternal damnation to behave well toward others.

And for you and others like you, THAT isn't even sufficient. You behave like azzholes anyway.

November 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm |

What Tom said!!!!!!!!

November 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  11. Q

I think there is going to have to be a war between Christians and atheists. There is no way we can tolerate this ungodliness. Christians are going to turn on the atheists because you can't reason with an atheist.

November 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
    • midwest rail

As soon as you typed the first two words, you were wrong.

November 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oooh. Are you going to use a plasma cutter on atheists? I hear Thermal Dynamics makes a great model! Just ask ?.

November 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • Evangelical

Also, atheists don't know their place as a minority.

November 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • lilly

Work on adding the "I", it might help.

November 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • lilly

@Evangelical, you do know the Earth goes around the sun right.

November 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |

Piper's son:
      Lets use our CPS3000 (christian plasma cutter 3000) for this war:
      By the way Q, if you feel the need to start yet another war you're going to make us all fall off of the fiscal cliff for sure!

November 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
    • End Religion

"you can't reason with an atheist"
      oh sweet, sweet irony!

November 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Cliff? Q just finished falling off the turnip truck!

November 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • End Religion

"I think there is going to have to be a war between Christians and atheists. There is no way we can tolerate this ungodliness. "

If there's one thing you zealots of "peace and love" know it's that any reason is a good reason to war against groups who hold differing values.

November 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
    • End Religion

I think Eva is Apple Bush just entertaining himself....

November 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Luke

@ Evangelical: atheists also come in the form of scientists .. without scientists there would have been no bombs, rockets, tanks, helicopters clothes or guns to fight wars.

November 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Akira

"Atheists don't know their place as a minority" made me crack up hysterically...

November 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
    • lilly

Everyone is an atheist, I wonder if Evangelical believes in Kali?

November 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  12. chuck

to the people here claiming the earth is 6000 years old. Would you be a Christian if you were born in Asia?

November 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • ?

I'm a Christian and I don't claim the earth to be 6,000 years old. I do know that scriptures describes 3 earth ages and 3 heaven ages. You can read about those 3 earth and heaven ages in the bible too, if you knew how to read scriptures.

November 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
    • Luke

If you were born to Christian-American citicens who were living in Asia for work, then yes you would be christian. By the way Asia is a continent. Asia is a very large area encompasing many religions, even christianaity. Do you want me to continue to exploit your stupidity on a national blog?

November 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • Luke

"Asia" is home to Israel. Christianity, I believe, stemmed from there. Again, Chuck..want me to continue?

November 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |

Citizens* lol

November 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • Luke

encompassing* lol..sorry, CHUCK, you got me so fired up I tried to out type my spelling processor in my BRAIN that I have.

November 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

Chuck,
      I did not have very good spelling on this post..I just realized I even spelled christianity wrong...you really got me fired up, that has never happened before. I do appologize and welcome any more comments you have.

November 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
    • lol??

chuck
      to the people here claiming they are 6000 years old. Would you be an earthling if you were born on the moon? chuckie-cheesie!

November 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm |

@ lol...lol, nice

November 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  13. Joel

The same old mindless godless drivel. "The earth is billions of years old...." oy This is a clear rejection of God and His Word. And obvious promotion of the teachings of men, most of whom are godless, and rebellious, and have no regard for their Creator. For the majority of us who do believe in God. It is clear that: "For in six days God created the heavens, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them." ....Exodus 20 PTL Baruch Atah Adonai Eloheynu Melech Ha olam.

November 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

The bible is stupid and it's god is a colossal azzhole. If there is a god, he wouldn't be so stupid as to use the bible to share his will. People who believe ancient myths are true are ignorant. Don't be ignorant.

November 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • ?

God never told us how old the world is. He did say the first age was destroyed.

First Earth Age destroyed with water. "Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished" [2nd Peter 3:6].

November 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

God never said anything, dearie. He never wrote a word. Men did.

November 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • Luke

Joel; the sooner you accept the truth the sooner you will see the real light.
      Until recently, astronomers estimated that the Big Bang occurred between 12 and 14 billion years ago. To put this in perspective, the Solar System is thought to be 4.5 billion years old and humans have existed as a genus for only a few million years. Astronomers estimate the age of the universe in two ways: 1) by looking for the oldest stars; and 2) by measuring the rate of expansion of the universe and extrapolating back to the Big Bang; just as crime detectives can trace the origin of a bullet from the holes in a wall.

November 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • ?

Wrong again Tom. All scriptures are inspired by God. He may not have actually penned his truth, but, he inspired holy men to do so. Chalk it up to he was busy saving all our souls.

November 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope, dope. You've presented not one shred of credible evidence for that.

Now when are you going to reveal my "perversion," you dishonest creep?

November 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Athy

How do you know all scriptures are inspired by god? Were you there? Because the scriptures themselves say so? The stupidity of you religious dingbats is truly appalling.

November 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • End Religion

The bible: an instruction manual for simpletons and those who want to control them.

November 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • ?

Joel, what atheists don't know because they never seriously looked into what Jesus wrote .... is that Jesus calls the destruction of the first earth age the katabole or takabollo.

2 Corinthians 4:9

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down [kataballo], but not destroyed  (KJV)

Hebrews 6:1

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying  [kataballo] again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God  (KJV)

Read 2nd Peter 3:4-7, and , Jeremiah 4:23-27

Also, atheists never learned how to read Below, the first earth age is in blue and the second earth age in red:, divided by || for the color blind:

Genesis 1:1-2

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
      2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. || And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.  (KJV)

November 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • ?

End Religion, yes, Jesus ensured that even a 5 year old can learn his truth. Now, what excuse do atheists use?

November 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • ?

Temper, temper Athy. Your slip is showing.

November 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • pjharren

Saving our souls from what? Him?

November 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • ?

pjharren, if you're not pleasing to your fellow man, that's a good indication you are not pleasing to Jesus.

November 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What man finds you pleasing? I can't even imagine.

November 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Where's that description you were asked to provide? You know, the one about my "perversion?"

November 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • mama k

One can certainly refute the likelihood of the God of Abraham regardless of the validity of current evolutionary theory. There is certainly much unknown about the origins of matter. But the lack of credibility for virtually all Abrahamic religious belief is quite obvious to some in the same way that spam is obvious. The OT is rehashed ancient folklore at best. And what better way to draw more non-believers to your new religion than to base your new religion on one that already exists – the god of Abraham of ancient mythology. Add some new twists and Christianity is born. Do it again in America with some even more dazzling twists and walla – Mormonism is born. It should be enough to question ancient folklore, but the twists injected for adding a new flavor is especially a red flag. There is no credible proof to any of the magic (miracles, interface with a higher being) in these religions. Written eyewitness testimony from or about a group that may have the same political motive (such as Jesus' inner circle, Paul & his secretary, Joseph Smith & Co. & Families, Inc., etc.) is not credible evidence.

November 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, mama k! How was your Thanksgiving? Did the "thermal dynamics" of your turkey roaster result in a moist, tender, and delicious bird? I hope your gravy was smooth and your pumpkin pies heavenly.

November 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • mama k

Lol. yes it most certainly did, Tom. Hope you had a good one too.

November 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • End Religion

?: it's no surprise you find a book filled with hate, murder and r@pe is appropriate for a 5 year old. And you may want to look up 'simpleton.' The definition is not "a 5 year old." But then again, you are coming through on everything I would expect of a simpleton.

November 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  14. Luke

This is a huge issue that must be attend to promptly with leadership from the scientific community. Americans should be rallying to find a way to put the eco – back in economics.

November 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • Luke

~To the likes of Rubio: Get your minds off planet Earth, look at the "blue marble" and think about the physics, chemistry and uncomprehendable amount of energy needed for the creation of the universe we live in and also the universes we have not discovered yet and then compare your energy to that. My point is, the human species is as insignificant as it is amazing and inspiring. Put humans first and not religion or politics. Our species is what makes us unique, not our nations.

November 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • ?

Yes, God also gave us thermal dynamics. God is great and Christians admit it.

November 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I believe you mean "thermodynamics," ?. Not "thermal dynamics."

November 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Thermal Dynamics is the leading producer of manual and automated plasma cutting systems. Find out how to purchase a plasma cutter today."

See, ?,?

November 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Luke

to the mystery person "?" .. thermal dynamics? is that the reason why I could not make up my mind on what LL Bean jacket I wanted for christmas this year? Becuase all of the thermals are so dynamically different?

November 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

@?, Maybe you should ask Santa for a plasma cutter manufactured by Thermal Dynamics.

November 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  15. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Those who believe in the lie of evolution are stubbornly resistent toward God because they would have to be accountable to Him if they acknowledged Him, so the easy way for them is to say that there is no god. They prefer to live a self-centered, humanistic and ego driven life.'

What utter and complete bullish!t. Provide evidence that those who accept evolution as being the most likely explanation for the development of species are "self-centered, humanistic, and ego driven." I'll be eagerly awaiting your proof. The vast majority of people who are educated beyond the level of high school know that evolution is far more reasonable and has more evidence to support it than do creationism or intelligent design.

November 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • ?

You believe your trash mouth as your best feature, do you really believe that you are the fittest to have survived? GMAB.

November 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Don

Piper's Son, All kidding aside I have to give you credit for your post.
      Using words like "most likely" and "more reasonable" demonstrate that you view these theories as theories and not as established facts. By the way, I do not believe these theories, it would take too much blind faith.

November 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@?

It's the fittest genes that survive, not the fittest individuals. You can't look at any one individual, or even at any one individual species to get any idea of how evolution works. You certainly can't look at one characteristic of one individual for any ideas about evolution. Our life spans subject us to a timescale that is really poor for any sort of "common sense" understanding of biological evolution. Try reading "The Selfish Gene" –I think by Dawkins, but I'm not sure.

November 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

?/herbie, keep on whining.

To Don: it takes an education and a thinking brain to accept a scientific theory like gravity or evolution. You should try to get those.

November 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Actually, Don the only people I've ever heard say that evolution requires "blind faith" to accept, are those who employ "blind faith" on a daily basis in order to accept religious dogma.

I'll stick with the model that is supported by evidence, and will continue to reject the model that provides not one shred of evidence, until such evidence appears.

November 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • ?

How was the discovery of gravity first considered? Hebrews 1:3 gave the idea.

November 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do tell. I'm sure you're the perfect person to explain the bible, considering you can't write a sentence without screwing up.

November 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do tell. I'm sure you're the perfect person to explain the bible, considering you can't write a sentence messing up.

November 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
    • Don

Piper's Son, Now I am really confused? I thought it was the Law of Gravity and the Theory of Evolution? Has Gravity been downgraded to a theory now?

November 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
    • ?

You write a lot for saying so little.

November 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Still waiting for you to expose my "perversion," ?. When are you going to get around to that? You lie a lot for one who can barely manage a sentence. Do try to use commas correctly on occasion, won't you, ?, ?

November 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Don, look it up. It can be both. If you don't know the definition for either word as it is used in science, you might want to start there.

As for your challenge below, again, why should anyone bother?

November 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm |

GMAB = Give Me A Brain

November 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • ?

Here's a good example of your perversion Tom. Accepting credit for the following, when you and Reality just started using the terminology. Not so a few years ago ... See below.

Don

Don

Piper's Son, All kidding aside I have to give you credit for your post.

November 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • Luke

Don, I do believe that most who have a problem with your comment are thinking, "well..god has never shown himself" is that not blind faith to believe in god as well? please explain yourself with LOGIC.

November 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

That's what you think is a "perversion?" You really are stupid, aren't you? I thought at first you were just faking it, but I see now that you're truly brainless.

Go find a post in which I said what you claim; provide the citation.

November 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

As ? can't figure out the meanings of the phrase "survival of the fittest" or the words "theory" or "law," I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't have a clue what "perversion" means, either.

I must have really bruised your little ego at some point,?. I suppose that is why you're posting under yet another screen name. You're too embarrassed to use the original, aren't you?

November 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |

November 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Don

As for my challenge below... I should have expected "why should anyone bother" would be the best response I would get.

November 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What part of "why bother" do you fail to grasp?

You have already indicated that you won't believe anything presented as evidence.

November 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • lol??

The shsctick's New,new covenant, err religion: "It's the fittest genes that survive, not the fittest individuals. You can't look at any one individual, or even at any one individual species to get any idea of how evolution works. You certainly can't look at one characteristic of one individual for any ideas about evolution. Our life spans subject us to a timescale that is really poor for any sort of "common sense" understanding of biological evolution." Why not just say you are short sighted and enjoy the party?

November 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Don

Piper, I must have missed the post explaining why we should believe the Earth is 4.5 Billion years old. Could you repost that evidence?

November 24, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • lol??

Just because Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son's mom was a pervert doesn't mean he HAD to follow that path. It was just easier and more fun. Ye olde pleasure in unrighteous thing, again. It's a common trait with all h0m0 saps. The community type like to revel in it. The game is a race to the bottom.

November 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  16. Don

Better question, what is smart about what Chuck said?

November 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What was smart? That he called a spade a spade. You on the other hand defended an idiot's post.

November 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  17. Bishop Hairy Palms

When is the GOP going to stop being the party of s tupid?

November 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  18. Joe

The only blend of creationism and science that makes sence, is that the universe is god's game of Spore.

November 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • End Religion

There is no blend of rational thought that includes creationism.

November 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
  19. Dave Harris

Millions of ignorant people believe this nonsense. In Rubio's own state, there's a theme park where you can see Jesus riding a dinosaur, because Christians think their Holy Book declares the world to be 6,000 years old. They think their God faked all those fossils to test their faith. People this dumb imagine that they're important enough to be the purpose of all creation. How likely is that?

November 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • ?

It's obvious you don't know how to read the bible, if you claim you have. Reading the bible takes a life time obligation, none of which atheists are up to meet that standard, since you are a trash and burn mentality. 2 Peter 3 explains the 3 earth and heaven ages, I suggest you read it before you keep spewing atheists lies about God's truth.

November 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I suggest you learn to write a sentence before you make yourself look even more simple-minded than you already have, ?.

November 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

@ ?

You are overgeneralizing. I know many atheists who are atheists precisely because they started reading and studying the bible critically, rather than just taking it as truth without consideration. I personally spent several decades in ministry and have read the bible about 6 times and have studied parts of it for years or more. Eventually, through a very long and hard process, I left behind my faith in it as "God's word" to man.

November 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • ?

Tom, look in the mirror. That's if your perversion allows sight.

November 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, sweetie, you must have been smacked around in another thread and still bear a grudge. Why don't you tell everyone what my "perversion" is, dear?

November 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • End Religion

?, we're begging you, please learn to construct a coherent sentence. Maybe the issue is that the bible itself is gibberish, and since that's apparently the only book you've ever read it is your model for expressing yourself?

November 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  20. chuck

Let the Republican Party keep making fools of themselves over issues like this. They will never win another national election. God works in mysterious ways. And he is using this discussion over himself to bring down the very party who claims him. Embrace the irony.

November 24, 2012 at 11:53 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73