home
RSS
The churches of Charles and Andy Stanley
November 19th, 2012

Two preaching giants and the 'betrayal' that tore them apart

By John Blake, CNN

Alpharetta, Georgia (CNN) – Andy Stanley walked into his pastor's office, filled with dread.

The minister sat in a massive chair behind an enormous desk. He spread his arms across the desk as if he were bracing for battle. His secretary scurried out of the office when she saw Andy coming.

The pastor had baptized Andy when he was 6, and groomed him to be his successor. But a private trauma had gone public. And Andy felt compelled to speak.

The minister stared in silence as Andy gave him the news. The "unspoken dream" both men shared was over.

After Andy finished, the pastor looked at him as tears welled up.

"Andy," he said, "you have joined my enemies, and I'm your father."

Read the full story on Charles and Andy Stanley
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Georgia • Leaders • Pastors

1. Christianity is a form of mental illness- FACT

Cant help but laugh..this is such a non story. So does anybody have a good recipe for Turkey day??

November 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  2. Dump hinduism, illegality of Evolution, way of hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, sons of LANGOOR, SELF CENTERED

my brothers, step brothers, mothers, step mothers, sisters, wives, uncles, belly dancers, goats, camels are all getting slaughtered in Palestine, like pigs, like dogs, at swords of Allah, by denier of truth absolute GAWD, Americans, Hindus, Jews, do something, goons.

November 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
    • Dump hinduism, illegality of Evolution, way of hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, sons of LANGOOR, SELF CENTERED

hinduism, absurdity of a hindu, copy cat

November 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  3. The Truth

I was raised by a Pastor father and was "guided" into the ministry myself for 30 years before I opened my eyes and saw what was really going on behind the scenes. They say the cream floats to the top, well in the Church it's not the cream that floats. Hypocritical haughty bigots who believe they speak for God are the only things that seem to have any upward mobility in the large congregations. The last place you will find any truth is coming out of those pharisee's mouths. I spoke up about my father and some of his secrets I had found out about, his adultery and the amount of money coming off his ministry was obscene, and all his congregation did was slap his hand as he crocodile teared his way back into their fold and let him continue to mislead them. "God's servants are under contsant attack!" he said "I was weak and failed you but God's love has redeemed me!" he said "God is love and forgiveness, so if you find it hard to forgive you are not letting enough of God's love into your heart!" he said... and he was not the only one I knew who used the same lines to get themselves out of trouble. The only ones who could lie like with a straight face like that are ones who are convinced that there is no God who will come and call them on their lies and deceipt.

November 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  4. Christianity is a form of mental illness- FACT

Never heard of these baffoons. One thing that is clear and stands out is MONEY/POWER

November 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  5. Dump hinduism, illegality of Evolution, way of hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, sons of LANGOOR, SELF CENTERED

Churches are nothing but dangerious place of Southern diseases, illegality, not to preach Thin Allah in truth absolute, but to promote Andy ism, ego's to be above rest of others, Part of not Kingdom of Jehovah, foundation of true America, foundation of American consti pation, but a way to enrich on wealth of pagan ignorant followers. on rout to establish personal empires to satisfy their solesless boots, filthy desires by use and abuse of Allah, the secular s, self centered name in truth absolute GAWD, ignorant goons.

November 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Belief Blog Bistro

Goon Ginger Tomato Chutney (This dish can serve with dosa or idli) $7.99. Trolls get 10% off!

November 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  6. Apple Bush

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-C3trU9ljw&w=640&h=390]

November 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  7. Robert Brown

I have only heard Andy preach one time and thought he did a great job. I have listened to Charles for several years and enjoy his preaching very much. I had no idea that he was divorced.

November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Marjoe was a great preacher too!

November 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  8. Mohammad A Dar

it's nothing more than branching out, when business becomes too big to govern.

November 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm |

post under your own ID, hindu, ID thief.

November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

then start using your reral name dumbo.

November 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  9. Dump hinduism, illegality of Evolution, way of hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, sons of LANGOOR, SELF CENTERED

I just wrote somthin cute, he he he, appreciate it, goons of Jesus.

November 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  10. Dump hinduism, illegality of Evolution, way of hindu's, deniers of truth absolute GOD, sons of LANGOOR, SELF CENTERED

There's no father-son preaching duo quite like the Stanleys. Imagine if Steve Jobs had a son, who created a company that rivaled Apple in size and innovation - and they barely spoke to one another.

churches are nothing but dungeons of hinduism, illegality, not to preach life in truth absolute, but to promote hinduism, ego's to be above rest of others, Part of not Kingdom of truth absolute GOD, foundation of America, but a way to enrich on wealth of hindu ignorant followers. on rout to establish personal empires to satisfy their hindu souls, filthy desires by use and abuse of name of truth absolute GOD.

November 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

Be English Upon You, oaf.

November 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  11. fred

Should we care about this?

November 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  12. Ann

This story is a great illustration of how these megachurches are all about POWER.

November 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  13. Apple Bush

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies...

November 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  14. nowitspringsforth

Reblogged this on Forgiveness and commented:
    The part of this story that most moved me was their meetings over "chips and salsa." Even when they were still angry....even when they had nothing to say to one another...they continued to work at it. And the reality is that forgiveness is a process that says...it's worth the effort to heal, to release, to be freed, and to restore.

November 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Zeus Almighty

Reblogged the post above on saladandchips.com.

November 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • Clown Dong in your moms butt

Reblogged both posts at prolapsed.net.

November 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
  15. Russ

the article says: "...where divorce is considered a sin by some based on a literal reading of the Bible..."
    I almost laughed out loud. is that really what we've come to?

Mal.3: God says "I hate divorce" – is that just being literal?
    Mt.19: Jesus says: "what God has put together, let no man separate." just literal?
    Then Jesus says: "Moses permitted you to divorce because your hearts were hard."
    Over & over again it's clear in the Bible.

I mean, come on. Really? You can mock the Bible. You can ignore it.
    But let's not say "only a literal reading" comes to that conclusion.
    That simply lacks any academic or journalistic integrity.

November 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • SnoozeButton

Every verse in the bible can be taken literally, or figuratively. It depends on who is making the argument, and where they stand on the issue.

November 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Russ

@ Snooze: But since when does 'figurative' mean opposite?

When we say "figuratively speaking," who means...
      "Do not steal" = it's ok to steal?
      "Do not murder" = murder is fine?
      "Do not bear false witness" = lie when you can?

Literal: the plain meaning of the text
      Figurative: the text represents something analogous to the plain meaning

The problem here is not the difference between literal and figurative.
      The problem is simply misusing the term 'figurative' to mean 'opposite the literal meaning'

Literarily speaking, the Bible consistently (in both figurative and literal readings) denounces divorce.

November 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm |
  16. Apple Bush

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

November 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  17. Apple Bush

And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies then they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you.

November 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  18. Apple Bush

Galatians 4:16

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

November 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  19. Akira

Shouldn't that be "Luke, you have joined my enemies, and I'm your father?"

November 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  20. Apple Bush

I know it was you Fredo....you broke my heart.

November 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm |