home
RSS
The churches of Charles and Andy Stanley
November 19th, 2012

Two preaching giants and the 'betrayal' that tore them apart

By John Blake, CNN

Alpharetta, Georgia (CNN) – Andy Stanley walked into his pastor's office, filled with dread.

The minister sat in a massive chair behind an enormous desk. He spread his arms across the desk as if he were bracing for battle. His secretary scurried out of the office when she saw Andy coming.

The pastor had baptized Andy when he was 6, and groomed him to be his successor. But a private trauma had gone public. And Andy felt compelled to speak.

The minister stared in silence as Andy gave him the news. The "unspoken dream" both men shared was over.

After Andy finished, the pastor looked at him as tears welled up.

"Andy," he said, "you have joined my enemies, and I'm your father."

Read the full story on Charles and Andy Stanley
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Georgia • Leaders • Pastors

1. WillieLove

Billy Graham gives stamp of approval on practically every Bible version that comes out

In fact, I cut out one of his endorsements for the "New Living Translation." He says, "...I am pleased to recommend the New Living Translation for even greater readability and accuracy." The authorized King James is highly readable and pinpoint accurate. People been getting saved by reading the authorized King James and they've been growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ through it. There is no need for another "translation." But the devil will keep 'em coming.

November 30, 2012 at 4:27 am |
  2. WillieLove

Billy Graham befriends heretics

Based on what I've read, this apparently is not an uncommon practice by Billy Graham. In 1959, he had the liberal Bishop James A. Pike lead in prayer at one of his events. Yet Pike said in an episcopal letter: "Religious myth is one of the avenues of faith and has an important place in the communication of the Gospel." He called the garden of Eden a myth and said, "The virgin birth... IS A MYTH which churchmen should be free to accept or reject..."
    What I've supplied here don't even touch the tip of the iceberg of Billy Graham's cozy relationships with heretics.

November 30, 2012 at 4:27 am |
    • gblog

when you're in the company of people such as he has been through out the years of preaching you can't just
      go in all guns blazing or you would get chewed up and spit out alive in his circle of powerful people. you would
      need a shepards staff from god to get the victory. but god is not quite ready to throw the U.S. under the bus yet
      so he uses imperfect humble people to do his work still. none of us wan't to be here when he sends a prophet with
      his staff to rebuke the U.S.

November 30, 2012 at 5:38 am |
  3. WillieLove

Billy Graham let apostate Catholic Bishop bless new converts

In 1962, a Roman Catholic bishop of Sao Paulo, Brazil, blessed the people that came forward at the invitation. (Daily Journal, International Falls, Minnesota, Oct. 29, 1963, cited by the New York Times, Nov. 9, 1963).
    Those poor people came to Graham for help and he let an idolator bless them. Has he not read that behind every idol is a devil? Yet he let that man "bless" the people of God.

November 30, 2012 at 4:26 am |
  4. WillieLove

Billy Graham don't believe hell is literal fire

"...I think people have a hard time believing God is going to allow people to burn in literal fire forever. I think the fire that is mentioned in the Bible is a burning thirst for God that can never be quenched."
    The Orlando (Florida) Sentinel for April 10, 1983

Hell ain't based on our human reasoning. According to Matthew's gospel, it was created for the devil and his angels, but people that reject Jesus Christ will be up in there too.

November 30, 2012 at 4:26 am |
  5. WillieLove

Billy Graham thinks that infants can become Christian through baptism

But the Bible says that by the works of the flesh shall no man be justified. Baptism comes after faith in Jesus Christ. Look what Billy Graham told the Lutheran Standard in October 1967,
    "I do believe that something happens at the baptism of an infant... we cannot fully understand the mysteries of God, but I believe that a miracle can happen in these children so that they are regenerated, that is, MADE CHRISTIAN, THROUGH INFANT BAPTISM

November 30, 2012 at 4:26 am |
  6. WillieLove

Billy Graham receives honorary degree from Catholic college

Billy Graham received an honorary doctorate from Catholic priests at Belmont Abbey College in 1967. He called it, "a time when Protestants and Catholics could meet together and greet each other as brothers, whereas 10 years ago they could not". He joked around, "I'm not sure but what this could start me being called "Father Graham".
    ("Belmont Abbey Confers Honorary Degree," Paul Smith, Gazette staff reporter, The Gastonia Gazette, Gastonia, North Carolina, Nov. 22, 1967).

November 30, 2012 at 4:24 am |
  7. WillieLove

Billy Graham praises the pope, a man who allows himself to be called God (see Blasphemy 101)

When Billy Graham was on the Phil Donahue show on 10-11-79, he said that pope John Paul II was someone that he could quote with "some real authority." He also said that the world was looking for a spiritual leader and that the pope didn't pull any punches. [Lord have mercy, Jesus]
    For a newspaper clipping showing Graham praising the pope as "almost an evangelist"

November 30, 2012 at 4:23 am |
  8. WillieLove

Why does the whole wicked world love Graham? 'Cause he tells everybody that they right, that's why! Mmm. Look at what the word of God says about people the world loves:

Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. Luke 6:26
    When I think of Graham, I think of somebody who at one point may have had some clear eyes and then they went and picked up some huge black scales and put them on their eyes and then started saying to people, "Let me help you find your way". He knows better than embracing the Catholic cult and saying everybody is saved. I read a quote from him in New Man magazine where he laments about how fundamentalists talk so bad about him and his compromising position. He knows better.

November 30, 2012 at 4:22 am |
  9. WillieLove

I did not know too much about Graham until about two years ago. I first thought about him when the people at my old church were like, "Pray for the upcoming Billy Graham special!" I looked at the thing and it was so jumbled up with some Christian rock videos I didn't know what in the world was going on. Still undeterred, I ordered one of his salvation messages to share with someone. I watched it first and it was so watered down it was pathetic. I thought to myself, "Someone would already have to know the gospel to know where to find it in those generalities." Needless to say, I didn't even share it with the person. I wasted my money.

November 30, 2012 at 4:21 am |
  10. WillieLove

TELEVISION INTERVIEW OF DR. GRAHAM BY DR. SCHULLER CONTINUED: PART II WAS BROADCAST ON SUNDAY, JUNE 8. THE FOLLOWING IS AN ACCURATE TRANSCRIPTION OF A SEGMENT.*
    SCHULLER: You knew ... Fulton Sheen. You knew these men. Your comments on both of these men [Fulton Sheen and Norman V. Peale].

GRAHAM: The primary way of communicating is to live the life, let people see that you're living what you proclaim.... [comments on his friendship and conversations with Fulton Sheen] I lost a very dear friend, and since that time, the whole relationship between me and my work, and you and your work, and the Roman Catholic Church has changed. They open their arms to welcome us and we have the support of the Catholic Church almost everywhere we go. And I think that we must come to the place where we keep our eyes on Jesus Christ [Which Jesus, Billy? The real One, or the imposter of Romanism?], not on what denomination or what church or what group we belong to.

November 30, 2012 at 4:20 am |
  11. WillieLove

GRAHAM: Well, Christianity and being a true believer–you know, I think there's the Body of Christ. This comes from all the Christian groups around the world, outside the Christian groups. I think everybody that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the Body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival, that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time. I think James answered that, the Apostle James in the first council in Jerusalem, when he said that God's purpose for this age is to call out a people for His name.

And that's what God is doing today, He's calling people out of the world for His name, whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world or the non-believing world, they are members of the Body of Christ because they've been called by God. They may not even know the name of Jesus but they know in their hearts that they need something that they don't have, and they turn to the only light that they have, and I think that they are saved, and that they're going to be with us in heaven. [I wouldn't trust in nobody that said they "think" I'm saved. My question is, What does God SAY?!]

Lord have mercy! Do you believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 30, 2012 at 4:19 am |
  12. WillieLove

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    Matthew 7:20

This information is excerpted from, "Graham Believes Men Can Be Saved Apart From Name of Christ" by Robert E. Kofahl, Ph.D.

TELEVISION INTERVIEW OF BILLY GRAHAM BY ROBERT SCHULLER. PART 1, AN APPROXIMATELY 7-MINUTE-LONG BROADCAST IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ON SATURDAY, MAY 31, 1997. THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXACT TRANSCRIPT* OF AN EXCERPT CLOSE TO THE END OF THIS BROADCAST.
    SCHULLER: Tell me, what do you think is the future of Christianity?

November 30, 2012 at 4:19 am |
  13. aurelius

The snake and the scorpion. If only those rabid fable believers would devour each other and vacate the earth.

November 29, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • Cloud_man

It is sad to read that some people do not read the whole article or if they did, they completely missed the beautiful story that unfolds, as we see the love of God unfolding before our very eyes, during this very natural human episode between father and son; in parallel to what occurred in Gethsemane, as when our Lord Jesus Christ said to the Father: "Why has thy forsaken me?". What ultimately prevails in this beautiful story is that "God is Love", and those love God eventually work out their differences, just like the Apostle Paul and Peter worked out, and the Church prevailed, through God's grace. Traditions can sometimes get in the way, but the Holy Spirit prevails in the hearts of men who keep His commandments, and have a single goal of saving the lost souls, even of those who vehemently and unjustly criticize them. May the Lord continue to bless both of these wonderful servants of the Almighty God and Lord Jesus Christ.

November 30, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • Cloud_man

It is sad to read that some people do not read the whole article or if they did, they completely missed the beautiful story that unfolds, as we see the love of God unfolding before our very eyes, during this very natural human episode between father and son; in parallel to what occurred in Gethsemane, as when our Lord Jesus Christ said to the Father: "Why has thy forsaken me?". What ultimately prevails in this beautiful story is that "God is Love", and that those who love God eventually work out their differences, just like the Apostle Paul and Peter worked out theirs, and the Church prevailed, through God's grace. Traditions can sometimes get in the way, but the Holy Spirit prevails in the hearts of men who keep His commandments, and have a single goal of saving the lost souls, even of those who vehemently and unjustly criticize them. May the Lord continue to bless both of these wonderful servants of the Almighty God and Lord Jesus Christ.

November 30, 2012 at 1:52 am |
  14. Mike Limon

I have watched and followed Dr. Charles Stanley for years. He is a much better preacher than his son ever will be. I found Andy Stanley boring to watch,and could not listen to an entire sermon by him. However, I am glad to hear that both son and father have reconciled and are speaking to one another. Life is too short to hold a grudge. I remember when Anna Stanley asked for a divorce. Charles took it hard, but with God's help, he was able to get through it. Even though they don't speak to one another, I am glad to hear that his wife still asks about him, and watches DVD's of his sermons. Thank you Dr. Stanley for teaching the word of God for many years, and happy birthday to you!

November 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  15. Kent Toch

I'm nearly as old as Dr. Stanley, and am very scientific in my thinking. Facts are facts, but unfortunately I was in my 60's before I realized that Christians squirm and squeal when you get into the science areas of discussion. I realized it was all a cover up and until they told it like it is, they are going to lose most of their young people. How do you think a young man or woman who goes to college for medical training and is told that evolution is a fact and you cannot deny that, and if you don't accept it and train in bioscience, you'll go no where because all biology has one corner stone and that's evolution. If you want to save the church, you're going to have to come up with some better answers. When you go in for surgery, you don't want a creationist doctor treating with Bible knowledge. Young people are pulling away because they feel they have been betrayed, and they have.

November 29, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • John Sivertsen

Your not very well inform on this at all . Check it out . Look it up . You'll see there no real proof of all this crap there selling in school . Theres many sound book on this , Don't be a blind sheep , Learn something before opening up on something you know nothing about . They said the world was flat too . The bible is true , All of it . 20 years of checking it out . When you see and know you'll be very glad you did . And then you will help stop this lie . God will help you , If you ask .

November 30, 2012 at 1:21 am |
  16. gman tello

please support our troops

November 29, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
  17. Doyoucare?

Who are these people? Who cares about two silly, old preachers? They are money mongers...simple as that. Anybody that needs a couple of old men – that can't get along – to tell them what God wants them to do, needs to have their head examined!

November 29, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  18. eyesopened

Real Life; I believe these are all Gods way of making public the real issues in life, whats not to to recieve out of such a well written story to bring insight to both those who believe in the almighty in those who do not. The truth is we are all falible period, and what to walk away with here is not sides or whos right or whos wrong but instead the truth, and that is when it comes down to the things of God thats exactly what they are, we will each be held accountable as individules not as a denomination, and as far as traditions and progress they both are base on the ways of man. As far as grace goes in Gods eyes the only thing Hes keeping track of is the end from the beginning and this was way before we came into the picture, so it is only the works of the spirit that will be its weight in Gold. if were lucky 9 times out of ten our left hand should not be aware of what our right hand is doing.

November 29, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • Wow

Babble, babble, babble...christian stuff...babble, babble...blah, blah, blah...stupid meaningless stuff...blah, blah, blah...

November 29, 2012 at 11:24 am |
  19. Nietodarwin

T H E P E T I T I O N S I T E has one to remove Marco Rubio from the science committee, sign it.

November 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Doyoucare?

Thank you! Found it and signed it! Up past 26K signatures now...sending it to my friends.

November 29, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  20. kindness

This is my experience... Thank you.

MY personal testimony.
    A thought to consider without an ego response

I Accepted Jesus christ as my lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners. Even once we are saved by christs merciful grace we will still experience adversity to mold us to adhering to the truth.
    We will slip... But not fall of the ship ...carrying us onward to perfection in christs grace.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from some other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith ....above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read romans or corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are by faith above reason in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved

Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith’s door,
    And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
    The, looking in, I saw upon the floor
    Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.
    “How many anvils have you had,” said I,
    “To wear and batter all these hammers so?”
    “Just one,” said he, and then with twinkling eye,
    “The anvil wears the hammers out, you know.”
    And so, thought I, the anvil of God’s Word,
    For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
    Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
    The anvil is unharmed – the hammers gone.

Truth is..exclusive

November 23, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Leif

Less is more.

November 25, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

If you believe The Babble you are not dealing with the truth so please fuck off.

November 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Christianity is a form of mental illness- FACT

(1) Hallucinations – the person has invisible friends who (s)he insists are real, and to whom (s)he speaks daily, even though nobody can actually see or hear
      these friends.

(2) Delusions – the patient believes that the invisible friends have magical powers to make them rich, cure cancer, bring about world peace, and will do so eventually if asked.

(3) Denial/Inability to learn – though the requests for world peace remain unanswered, even after hundreds of years, the patients persist with the praying behaviour, each time expecting different results.

(4) Inability to distinguish fantasy from reality – the beliefs are contingent upon ancient mythology being accepted as historical fact.

(5) Paranoia – the belief that anyone who does not share their supernatural concept of reality is "evil," "the devil," "an agent of Satan".

(6) Emotional abuse – ­ religious concepts such as sin, hell, cause feelings of guilt, shame, fear, and other types of emotional "baggage" which can scar the
      psyche for life.

(7) Violence – many patients insist that others should share in their delusions, even to the extent of using violence.

November 29, 2012 at 11:27 am |