home
RSS
December 8th, 2012

Winning, by God. Joe Gibbs' third act: Evangelist

By Tom Foreman and Eric Marrapodi, CNN

Charlotte, North Carolina (CNN)—Joe Gibbs moves through pit row at Dover International Speedway with purpose. On this clear day he has three NASCAR teams competing under the banner of Joe Gibbs Racing. The NFL coach and Hall of Fame legend barks encouragement as his teams gather in their fire suits in front of racks of tools.

“We’re due one today! Let’s go!”

Then the team members put their hands together at the center of a circle, Gibbs slaps his on top with the sun catching his Super Bowl ring, and bows his head in a sudden moment of calm before the high-octane storm. “Father thank you for this day,” he begins to pray.

The white hair under his logo covered ball cap is an oddity here. The pits of NASCAR are a young man’s world. Top speed, quick reflexes and raw power are prized.

The drivers are the captains of the cars, but speed and precision of their pit crews – leaping over walls, changing tires and filling gas tanks – is often the difference between winning and loosing.

So what is the 72-year-old Gibbs, well past retirement age, doing amid the chaos and thundering noise?

The same thing Gibbs has always done: He's calling the shots.

“To me, life is so exciting. To me, life is always trying to beat someone in something competitive. It's kinda been my whole life," Gibbs explains while sitting in the sprawling Joe Gibbs Racing Complex in Charlotte, North Carolina, after a recent race.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

He sips on a large green tea, nursing a sore throat he claims is from allergies but is more likely from all the hollering over the racing weekend. Dressed in a polo shirt tucked into khakis, he is fit and trim, likely in better shape than most men half his age. He says he’s as excited now about all he is doing as he was when he was young.

"I really think I am,” he says with a wide, convincing grin.

The rise of Joe Gibbs

Gibbs' rise to sports superstardom began in the 1980s, when he took the struggling Washington Redskins, a team with few stars and even fewer playoff hopes, to not one but three Super Bowl championships, earning the respect of the league and the adoration of fans.

As the cold February rain poured down on fans who came out for the team parade after the 1983 Super Bowl, Gibbs praised their dedication with the enthusiasm that has long made them love him. "There's no other fans in the world who would come out in weather like this except in Washington, D.C.!"

A young mustachioed CNN sports reporter, Keith Olbermann, reported a half-million fans braved the weather for a glimpse of the team, Gibbs and the gleaming Lombardi trophy that day.

“Each one of you has a small piece of this trophy today,” Gibbs yelled into the microphone, pumping the Super Bowl prize for the roaring crowd.

Less than a decade later, he stunned those same fans by turning from football to auto racing, setting up shop in his native North Carolina with admittedly little knowledge of what he was getting into. "I was kind of a novice,” Gibbs said while touring the floor of the JGR workshop. “I was scared to death, you know, 'Can we do this?' "

But Gibbs applied his formula: He worked around the clock, hired great people and relentlessly pushed for perfection. Soon enough the championships started rolling in for his racing teams, too.

Gibbs addresses the media after returning to coach the Redskins

In 2004, Redskins owner Dan Snyder lured Gibbs out of the pits and back to the sidelines. He coached the 'Skins for a four-year stint, helping them get back to the playoffs. But by 2008, Gibbs was ready to go back to racing and he walked away from football for good.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As an owner, Gibbs' teams have won three NASCAR Cup Series Championships. He talks a lot now about being a small business owner. His racing enterprise employs 450 people and includes the 250,000 square foot facility complete with state of the art garages, offices and gym.

That success in racing makes his latest career turn so unusual, because now he is talking perhaps more than ever before about losing.

When winners are losing

"When people look from the outside, they see you've won Super Bowls, NASCAR championships,” he said. “But what people miss when they look from the outside is, they miss the heartaches and the defeats and the mistakes you've made. And my life is full of them."

In a new edition of the New International Version of the Bible, “Game Plan for Life Bible, NIV: Notes by Joe Gibbs,” and a book of biblical devotions, “Game Plan for Life: Chalk Talks,” Gibbs writes frankly about many of his failures, about how just as his coaching career was soaring he was facing private calamities including a bad real estate deal that had him losing $35,000 a month and spiraling into bankruptcy.

"Bad, bad decisions. Really bad," he explains. “I was broke.”

Gibbs on the sidelines during the height of his coaching career, when he says he was facing personal woes.

Years of neglecting his health were followed by the startling news that he had developed diabetes, which he's now had for two decades; years of choosing work over family led to strained relations. Asked if he would do it all again and sacrifice his relationships with his family, he frankly and quickly says, “No. I look at that as probably one of the biggest mistakes I made in life."

A few years ago he said he took his sons out to out dinner and told them, “Don’t do what I did.”

“I could have organized that a different way. I could have found a way to spend more time with them and I think that’ll be one of the things I really second guess … at the end of my life.”

Finding his faith again

Gibbs says he found comfort amid the turmoil in a renewal of his faith. A life-long Baptist, Gibbs says he’s not fond of denominational distinctions and says he and his wife have always gravitated toward, “Bible-believing churches.”

He became a Christian at a young age, “I made that decision when I was 9 but I spent a part of my life drifting, you know, I was on God’s team but I wasn’t playing for him.”

Church of NASCAR ministers to drivers in a 'life-or-death sport'

He says spiritual mentors like a Sunday school teacher in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and some of his Redskins players helped him get back on track with a deeper, more meaningful Christian faith even while the struggles were at their worst.

“Part of playing the game of life is you’re going to have some losses,” he is fond of saying.

That is why he is sharing his private trials in this public way: so others can understand his belief that even winners lose when they lose their way. He regularly tours the country speaking about his faith at Game Plan for Life Outreach Breakfasts, designed so he can present his faith and help men by “getting off the sidelines and into the game,” the organization says.

"I really want to spend the rest of my life getting out this word, you know, 'What is the right way to play the game of life?' You and I are the players, God's our head coach and we're all playing the biggest game of all."

Those struggles have all made him more introspective, more humble and more inclined to leave the office a little earlier for family time. He now has eight grandchildren.

"If I keep God first in my life, if I keep my family and friends as second, and then I keep my occupation third,” he said, “that's when I've found success."

But make no mistake: Joe Gibbs still preaches the gospel of winning and he still thinks that's part of God's plan for him, too.

Ask him how long he’ll keep coming to the office, stomping through the pits and sharing his testimony, "I think you're asking the wrong guy on that one. I think you need to ask the Lord on that one. I think you know at some point I'll probably run out of gas, but man, right now I feel like I've still got a full tank. I'm still going."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

« Previous entry
  1. I feel sorry for you

The Bible Predicts exactly what is going on here and exactly what is happening with America. The comments on this article make me sick. Our country was built on faith and a belief in God. I feel sorry for those commenting on this article who are bashing God and religion. I urge you to reach out to God and come to him in faith. He will be there for you, but not in the way that is portrayed in news and media. He will give you peace and love and no amount of money can ever take the place of his love.

December 9, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • rdeleys

Bull! It's a childish fantasy.

December 9, 2012 at 8:11 am |
    • Brad

Our founding fathers were atheist and deist. But what do facts matter? You get offended by the posts bashing god and religion, yet show such ridiculous ignorance. You are why those posts you so despise exist.

December 9, 2012 at 8:12 am |
    • I feel sorry for you

Childish Fantasy? Really that is all you have.... Again I feel sorry for you

December 9, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • a dose of reality

Here is YOUR childish Fantasy:Is that the zombie Jesus you're praying to? The one who came to Earth as his own son, in order to die (but not really) and then go back into the sky to join himself (this is the ultimate sacrifice????) so that people, if they telepathically say that zombie Jesus is their master, will be cleansed of the sin that was placed on them thousands of years ago when a lady made from a rib was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple, and if they do that (even if they are the most horrible, evil people in the world) get to live forever in paradise, while people who don't accept zombie Jesus will burn forever? Is that the Jesus you pray to?

December 9, 2012 at 8:31 am |
    • I feel sorry for you

To – A Dose of Reality – That is exactly who I pray to. God loves you too and you must be a democrat

December 9, 2012 at 8:40 am |
    • a dose of reality

@ I feel sorry for you.....Yep, you are delusional. At least you admit it. And no, I am not a democrat. I'm a secularist an atheist and an independant. Maybe you should try usin a little logic in your life. Or, take your meds.

December 9, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • Porkins lives!

There is no Jesus, there is only Zuul!

December 9, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • I feel sorry for you

I am delusional??? You are the self admitted atheist. Sorry man, again I feel sorry for you and pray that God will make an impact in your life, but I know my comments will probably make you pee your pants

December 9, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • mama k

(Relocated as a reply since this idiot is like a virulent mold.)

The poster below says "Our country was built on faith and a belief in God."

That's just nonsense. If one listens to the words of our key founders reflecting on our newly-established nation and government, we more and more hear a call for moderation for Christians. We hear more and more the influence of Deism on the key founders, who were fed up with the persecution between various fundamental Christians sects that was going on at the time.

Listen to James Madison, POTUS #4, and the chief architect of the U.S. Constitution:

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.

(A Remonstrance . . to the Virginia General Assembly in 1785.)

Listen to John Adams, POTUS #2:

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced! With the rational respect that is due to it, knavish priests have added prostitutions of it, that fill or might fill the blackest and bloodiest pages of human history. "

(in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, 09/03/1816)

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.

(from A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America [1787-1788])

Listen to Ben Franklin:

Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of the sermons which had been preached at Boyle’s Lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them. For the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to be much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist.

(from his Autobiography)

Thomas Paine was very Deistic. He witness Quakers being hung in Massachusetts by other Christians:

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Thomas Jefferson had his own Deistic version of the Bible.

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(from Notes on the State of Virginia)

Of course Deism holds to the belief of God as the creator of the universe. But many Deists also believed that God did not interfere with the lives of his creation. And many Deists disbelieved in all of the "magic" in the Bible – some of them refuting the Bible and Christianity completely.

Jefferson, Washington, Adams, Paine, Mason & Madison all witnessed the violent persecution between Christian sects in their home states around the time the government was being established. So it is of no surprise that they needed a secular government and they knew the only way to enforce freedom of religion was to keep religion out of the government as much as possible.

Listen to James Madison speak about the need for the need to keep religion out of government (Jefferson wasn't the only one to explicitly speak of the separation of church and state):

Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

The Civil Govt, tho' bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability and performs its functions with complete success, Whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the Priesthood, & the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the Church from the State.

(from letters to Edward Livingston and Robert Walsh)

Madison as president vetoed two bills that he believed would violate the separation of church and state. He also came to oppose the long-established practice of employing chaplains at public expense in the House of Representatives and Senate on the grounds that it violated the separation of church and state and the principles of religious freedom. (Library of Congress – James Madison Papers – Detached memorandum, ca. 1823.)

President John Adams and the U.S. Senate on behalf of the U.S.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

(from Article 11 of the U.S. treaty ratified with Tripoli in 1797)

Senator John F Kennedy said on Sept. 12, 1960, just prior to his winning the Presidential election:

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.

December 9, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • zometimer

Nothing fails like prayer.

December 9, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

I feel sorry for you, how about giving us just one bit of evidence to support the existence of your god and the divinity of jesus. If you can, you would be the first. if you cannot, you believe in unsupported myths and are delusional (mentally ill), or are a liar or both. So, just a single piece of factual, verifiable, independent, objective evidence please.

December 9, 2012 at 10:03 am |
    • counter

This is the next step for the radical atheist types. They ask for "proof" and then call you delusional and mentally ill if you still believe.

It is the ploy of the materialist that can only ponder what they can feel , see , touch, etc ....

December 9, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • mama k

@counter:

[ "Faith hope and love are not provable concepts , but the mature human realizes that not all truth can be empirically proven as so called fact." ]

Of course many things cannot be proven. But concepts are concepts. They are thoughts and emotions. Try not to put too much spin on where you think they come from if you cannot prove it.

[ "The two most important commandments are 1) Love the Lord thy God with all you heart ,soul and mind, and 2) Love your neighbor as yourself. Without the first, you cannot do the 2nd one." ]

I like the second one. Mammals, generally and naturally, look out for members of their own species. You don't need deities from fable to possess the same moral values, such as your #2.

[ "The radical atheists appear to love THEMSELVES and their own intellect over anything else. the concepts above cause too much cognitive dissonance for them so they reach out and attack those do espouse them. Large chips on their shoulders is what the atheist types have." ]

Whoa. You have way too many assumptions about atheists. I would agree that both atheists and believers alike tend to lash out here with words and name calling that is unnecessary, but you are wrong about them loving themselves, and you are wrong about their morals and values. In fact, it is quite the opposite quite often. Because if you read through the comments in these blogs, you'll notice that what many atheists despise the most is when the extremely fundamentally religious judge their fellow man based on their exaggerated interpretation of the Bible, neither of which they can credibly give justification for.

December 9, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • Dan

The bible is a bunch of absurd stories written by men. It is not proof of anything.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" – Carl Sagan

December 9, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Dan

Shouldn't you be donating 10% of your income to the child molesters at your church now? I feel sorry for you with all of your false hope and fear.

December 9, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Counter, it is believers that claim that gods exist and that they have proof. We are merely asking to see the proof believers claim to have. If believers behaved like astrologists (quietly doing whatever astrologists do) there would be no problem. But no, believer must publicly proclaim their beliefs and try to change laws because of their beliefs. That gives everyone a right to examine what believers believe and why. so, put up or shut up!

December 9, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • lionlylamb

@ I feel sorry for you,

No other than the Almighty One, the Holy Spirit who is the great seas of ever entwining nothingness can never be found faulty of his fruited essences sake. Nothingness is the emptiness that surrounds all mannerisms of the materially made. For without said nothingness all things materially made would fall into a matted oneness being ever crunched and made environing a solicitous felt great weight of total abandonment! This universe ensemble of the many so many cosmos of celestial omnipotence is ever lingering within the great seas of absolute nothingness being the Holy Spirit of the Almighty One and only God that ever so was and is and forever will so be!

I feel sorrows upon the simpletons' faiths for theirs are in blindness attritions of the mindless servile debaucheries. Many are blindly leading via emotionalized desensitizing reasoning toward the blinded church psychologies of the mentally sightless whereof both sensually flocked particulates are triggering others of faithful denials to no less find faults upon many a religious generalist motifs awkwardness bellowing stances of faith enduring bitterness. Love one’s life no matter your social ladder’s placement! God is ever in the backseat!

December 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • counter

The question is, what is morality and who's standard do you take determine what is moral or not?

As for others that make comments ...try reading through Washington's farewell address.

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

It is substantially true that virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government. The rule, indeed, extends with more or less force to every species of free government. Who that is a sincere friend to it can look with indifference upon attempts to shake the foundation of the fabric?

December 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's "WHOSE," not "WHO'S," moron. Washington's words are not relevant. AT ALL. We don't live by the beliefs of dead presidents.

December 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Furthermore, counter, if you require the threat of hell to behave in a way that benefits and doesn't harm others, then you are the one lacking a moral center.

December 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Our country was also built on faith in slavery and witchcraft. We put those aside when we grew up. It's time to put aside faith in an iron age deity from a bunch of nomadic sheep herders in the middle east as well.

December 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  2. rdeleys

What an incredible crock!! And so we have yet another tiresome evangelical to add to my growing "People to Ignore" list. I don't know what it is that compels these people to put their ignorance and gullibility on public display like that.

December 9, 2012 at 7:49 am |
    • rdeleys

While I sit here, an unemployed loser in my one bedroom flat, criticizing a man whose belief far exceeds my self-inflicted poverty.

I'm a loser.

December 9, 2012 at 7:53 am |
    • I feel sorry for you

Maybe if you did not ignore, then you would not be an unemployed living in a one bedroom flat loser

December 9, 2012 at 8:28 am |
    • a dose of reality

@ I feel Sorry for you:No matter how you dress it up, there are some fundamental difficulties with Christianity that are pretty hard to overcome.
      1. At its most fundamental level, Christianity requires a belief that an all-knowing, all-powerful, immortal being created the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies 13,720,000,000 years ago (the age of the Universe) sat back and waited 10,000,000,000 years for the Earth to form, then waited another 3,720,000,000 years for human beings to gradually evolve, then, at some point gave them eternal life and sent its son to Earth to talk about sheep and goats in the Middle East.
      While here, this divine visitor exhibits no knowledge of ANYTHING outside of the Iron Age Middle East, including the other continents, 99% of the human race, and the aforementioned galaxies.
      Either that, or it all started 6,000 years ago with one man, one woman and a talking snake. Either way “oh come on” just doesn’t quite capture it.
      2. This ‘all loving’ god spends his time running the Universe and spying on the approximately 7 billion human beings on planet Earth 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He even reads their minds (or “hears their prayers”, if you see any difference) using some kind of magic telepathic powers. He also keeps his telepathic eye on them when they are not praying, so as to know if they think bad thoughts (such as coveting their neighbor) so he knows whether to reward or punish them after they die.
      3. Having withheld any evidence of his existence, this god will then punish those who doubt him with an eternity burning in hell. I don’t have to kill, I don’t have to steal, I don’t even have to litter. All I have to do is harbor an honest, reasonable and rational disbelieve in the Christian god and he will inflict a grotesque penalty on me a billion times worse than the death penalty – and he loves me.
      4. The above beliefs are based on nothing more than a collection of Bronze and Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology, much of it discredited, that was cobbled together into a book called the “Bible” by people we know virtually nothing about, before the Dark Ages.
      5. The stories of Christianity are not even original. They are borrowed directly from earlier mythology from the Middle East. Genesis and Exodus, for example, are clearly based on earlier Babylonian myths such as The Epic of Gilgamesh, and the Jesus story itself is straight from the stories about Apollonius of Tyana, Ho.rus and Dionysus (including virgin birth, the three wise men, the star in the East, birth at the Winter solstice, a baptism by another prophet, turning water into wine, crucifixion and rising from the dead).
      6. The Bible is also literally infested with contradictions, outdated morality, and open support for the most barbarous acts of cruelty – including, genocide, murder, slavery, r.ape and the complete subjugation of women. All of this is due to when and where it was written, the morality of the times and the motives of its authors and compilers. While this may be exculpatory from a literary point of view, it also screams out the fact that it is a pure product of man, bereft of any divine inspiration.
      7. A rejection of the supernatural elements of Christianity does not require a rejection of its morality. Most atheists and secular humanists share a large amount of the morality taught today by mainstream Christianity. To the extent we reject Christian morality, it is where it is outdated or mean spirited – such as in the way it seeks to curtail freedoms or oppose the rights of $exual minorities. In most other respects, our basic moral outlook is indistinguishable from that of the liberal Christian – we just don’t need the mother of all carrots and sticks hanging over our head in order to act in a manner that we consider moral.
      Falsely linking morality to a belief in the supernatural is a time-tested “three card trick” religion uses to stop its adherents from asking the hard questions. So is telling them it is “wrong to doubt.” This is probably why there is not one passage in the Bible in support of intelligence and healthy skepticism, but literally hundreds in support of blind acceptance and blatant gullibility.
      8. We have no idea of who wrote the four Gospels, how credible or trustworthy they were, what ulterior motives they had (other than to promote their religion) or what they based their views on. We know that the traditional story of it being Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is almost certainly wrong. For example, the Gospel of Matthew includes a scene in which Jesus meets Matthew, recounted entirely in the third person!! Nevertheless, we are called upon to accept the most extraordinary claims by these unknown people, who wrote between 35 to 65 years after Christ died and do not even claim to have been witnesses. It is like taking the word of an unknown Branch Davidian about what happened to David Koresh at Waco – who wrote 35 years after the fact and wasn’t there.
      9. When backed into a corner, Christianity admits it requires a “leap of faith” to believe it. However, once one accepts that pure faith is a legitimate reason to believe in something (which it most certainly is not, any more than “faith” that pixies exist is) one has to accept all other gods based on exactly the same reasoning. One cannot be a Christian based on the “leap of faith” – and then turn around and say those who believe in, for example, the Hindu gods, based on the same leap, got it wrong. In a dark room without features, any guess by a blind man at the direction of the door is as valid as the other 359 degrees.
      Geography and birthplace dictates what god(s) one believes in. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own gods and they all seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams, and prejudices. Do you think they all exist? If not, why only yours?
      Faith is not belief in a god. It is a mere hope for a god, a wish for a god, no more substantial than the hope for a good future and no more universal than the language you speak or the baseball team you support.

December 9, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • I feel sorry for you

TO a dose of reality – It is called FAITH – Look it up

December 9, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • a dose of reality

A I feel sorry for you.....it's called DELUSION.....look it up!

December 9, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • counter

It really galls you that people have come to different conclusions about god because you are just much smarter than everyone else,

Gibbs told a good , a great story,and all you could come up with is how delusional people are and then a whole chapter on why believing in God is so illogical.

Just the fact that you read it and then have to comment and put others down that you don't agree with illustrates alot about your own elitism. It is not a pretty picture.

December 9, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • puzzled

@ a dose of reality.Thanks for the great post.However,as you can tell,it is being totally ignored by the ones who want to believe that a leap of faith trumps all reason.No amount of clear thought will EVER change that.Peace!

December 9, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  3. ReligionisBrainDamage

Just what the world needs, another southern evangelical preacher out to fleece his flock of sheep of their money..... NFL, Nascar, Guns & Jesus – Welcome to America !
    "Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. "
    –Richard Dawkins

December 9, 2012 at 7:30 am |
    • NClaw441

A lot of people, many of which are a lot smarter than I, and maybe even a few smarter than you, are people of faith. That doesn't prove that God exists, but it does show that those who believe are not idiots as you suggest.

December 9, 2012 at 7:37 am |
    • BobPitt

Becoming an evangelist is the fastest way to get good and cheap h00kers

December 9, 2012 at 7:44 am |
    • sqeptiq

Belief in that for which there is no evidence is prima facie evidence of some kind of mental defect. Rationality is what got us the advanced civilization we live in; irrationality is what has slowed that advance and threatens its continuation. Unless, of course, you think NASCAR wins are the epitome of advanced civilization.

December 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  4. ldavid69

All the hasbeens become evangelicals on the pulpit. Can you say Kirk Cameron, Demond Wilson or Ricky Seegal. Good gig if you can get it I guess.

December 9, 2012 at 7:27 am |
    • saggyroy

All you need is to memorize a couple dozen bible verses, wear a nice suit, and get a microphone.

December 9, 2012 at 7:37 am |
    • BobPitt

at saggyroy: and the money will roll in.. I've been thinking about it myself..!!

December 9, 2012 at 7:46 am |
  5. 13directors

It's all just show business.

December 9, 2012 at 7:24 am |
  6. akis lak

so if god helps you win then why we have losers?

December 9, 2012 at 7:20 am |
    • ldavid69

Exactly. A pundit pointed out, I forget who; That players thank god or make a cross or point to the sky , whatever when they score a TD or hit a hr etc. They never point to the ground or blame the devil when they strike out or fumble. It is a joke. It is like when people pray if desired result happens they say it was because of prayer. If it does not happen, they say it was meant to be. God always gets a free pass.

December 9, 2012 at 7:29 am |
    • rdeleys

@ akis lakis: look in the mirror.

December 9, 2012 at 7:59 am |
  7. Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

'Murica! Land of football, NASCAR, and Bible-Believin' Churches! Hoo Yeah, Darlin'! And don't be forgettin' yer Honey Boo Boo!

This turkey is about recognizing what sells in America, and then capitalizing on it. He obviously can recognize there are a bunch of rubes out there just asking to be fleeced, and he's there with the shears.

Rock on, 'Murica!

December 9, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • saggyroy

...and bible gun camp.

December 9, 2012 at 7:23 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

Hey, Saggy – guns don't kill people! Bleeding to death, with the resultant drop in blood pressure and hence blood supply to the brain, after bullets fired from guns have ripped through arteries, veins, viscera, bone and muscle kill people. Of course, that's harder to fit on a bumper sticker. Which proves that God is real, because it's mysterious, and god moves in mysterious ways.

Ism.

December 9, 2012 at 7:28 am |
    • ReligionisBrainDamage

LMAO ;-)

December 9, 2012 at 7:31 am |
    • saggyroy

@Attack, maybe in some cases, but I think mostly that guns cause lead poisoning....

December 9, 2012 at 7:36 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ saggy – D'oh! Missed that one. Nice catch.

December 9, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • rdeleys

If it's your mom's underwear, they're full of formaggio.

December 9, 2012 at 8:00 am |
  8. Bootyfunk

how many cr@ppy racing puns is this guy gonna make up on the pulpit?

December 9, 2012 at 7:15 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

December 9, 2012 at 7:29 am |
    • OvernOut

Don't forget the "how life is like football" analogies.

December 9, 2012 at 8:42 am |
  9. NClaw441

I know that the comment sections following these articles about religion are a joke to many, and I guess that's ok. It is good not to take ourselves too seriously. I do hope that we all can take a few moments privately to consider whether and what we believe in an honest way. My own view is that faith in God is a gift that can be found, if sought. I hope that you enjoy the search and find God.

Now back to your irreverent, but funny, blogging.

December 9, 2012 at 7:09 am |
    • Bootyfunk

unfortunately, religion is not a joke. people who follow a 2k year old book written by people that thought the earth was flat make our laws. and please don't assume atheists haven't contemplated god - most of us truly have. and we have found the glass to be empty.

December 9, 2012 at 7:17 am |
    • JWT

you happen to believe in god – and don't insist on having other people believe in what you do then well and fine. But there is no reason why anyone has to search it out.

December 9, 2012 at 7:42 am |
    • NClaw441

JWT– I don't have, and don't want, the power to force anyone to do anything. But if it is important enough for so many people to post about online, it is probably important enough to give serious consideration to. I believe. I feel good about it. Just expressing my view, as are you.

December 9, 2012 at 7:47 am |
    • saggyroy

"...Now back to your irreverent, but funny, blogging..." It's only funny til someone flies a plane into a building.

December 9, 2012 at 7:54 am |
    • sqeptiq

Atheists don't seek martyrdom.

December 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • saggyroy

@Sqeptiq – we have nothing to die for

December 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  10. centeredpiece

I've always thought Joe Gibbs is a class act. As a 'Skins fan in the 1980s it was so exciting to watch them play and win. He is very successful at his career but he knows that is not what's important – it's his relationship with God. I appreciate that he says he regrets not spending more time with his family. I wish he'd say that more often and tell younger men to get their priorities straight. I think our society tells men that the only thing that matters is "success" in business, but in the end, as Paul Tsongas said, when you are lying on your death bed, no one ever says, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

December 9, 2012 at 7:03 am |
    • ReligionisBrainDamage

"A delusion is something that people believe in despite a total lack of evidence. "
      –Richard Dawkins

December 9, 2012 at 7:33 am |
  11. Ze Pewp

The man is totally incompetent to "preach". He's making a fool of himself and is proof his gods are false.

December 9, 2012 at 5:00 am |
    • NClaw441

Who of us is "competent" to preach? We all have our faults. I don't know Joe Gibbs, but if he feels led to tell others the story of his faith journey, I applaud that. The same message can be told by many people in many different ways. I imagine Joe Gibbs' story will touch some. Maybe not you, but others may come to know God through his words. To me, that is a good thing.

December 9, 2012 at 6:53 am |
    • centeredpiece

Huh? Your comment makes no sense.

December 9, 2012 at 7:03 am |
    • sam stone

NCLaw: No one is qualified to preach. God is entirely personal. No one's opinion is better than any one else's

December 9, 2012 at 7:31 am |
    • NClaw441

I think we are all qualified to preach, which is just telling others what you believe and think. No one is or should be forced to listen. Your posts, and mine, here are as much preaching as anything Joe Gibbs might say in front of a larger audience, should he get one.

December 9, 2012 at 7:49 am |
  12. Leif

I am sick of athletes praying to and thanking God for victory. God does not root for one team or another. God could not care less about who wins any sporting event.

December 9, 2012 at 4:37 am |
    • Guy

Leif
      Sober up, and think before you post. Atheists do not pray or give thanks to something they go not think exists.

December 9, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • centeredpiece

Leif – I think you are right about God not caring who wins. And I think that praying to God that a team wins a game is rather trivial. But I would point out that these are your assumptions. Several players who pray before and during games aren't praying to beat their opponents. They pray before the game that they might play their best and that no one gets injured and they thank God for the many gifts they've received. The players who pray after a particularly good play – at least some of them – are pointing out that God gets the credit because the talents they have are from God. I think this helps them put things in proper perspective. I heard one religious player speak and was blown away by his humility and by the things he said – that he was faithful to his wife (as he knew he should be) and that God was first in his life, his family was second and football was just his job. That's a well-centered man IMHO.

December 9, 2012 at 7:07 am |
    • Bootyfunk

@ guy
      he said 'atheletes' - not 'atheists'.

December 9, 2012 at 7:10 am |
    • saggyroy

So the prayers of one team go unanswered? I thought god answers all prayers. What happened to "ask, and you shall receive"? How does that work. I guess god is paying too much attention to football and not enough the the evil's he creates.

December 9, 2012 at 7:22 am |
  13. The Eye

What would Jesus think about a person who has lied about being Roman Catholic, lied about being married, lied about their ethnicity, lied about having a major illness, lied about their education, and has the unmitigated gall to act in a pompous, overbearing manner that belies their supposed piety? What would Jesus think of a hypocrite that would argue for Him, and then give false testimony concerning themselves? Would He understand that the nature of the internet allows a person to portray themselves any way they want, all the while arguing for Him, would He understand the patronizing manner this person displays, while lying about who they really are? I know who you are, and I have my EYE on you, liar, representative of your own duplicity.

December 9, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • Some assembly required

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

I also thought of Max Ernst's Eye of Silence. A really absorbing painting and a lot more interesting than your rant.

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • Akira

I think you'd better ask Jesus, instead of us.
      We don't give a sh!t.
      Liars usually trip themselves up anyway, and again, we don't give a sh!t.

December 9, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • centeredpiece

I have no idea whom you are speaking of or what your problem is, but obviously you have some anger issues. What has Joe Gibbs ever done to you. I tried to do some quick google research on your outrageous allegations, but could find nothing to back up your claims. Why don't you present some solid evidence? The Joe Gibbs I have heard about is a competent, decent man who has done a lot for the community.

December 9, 2012 at 7:11 am |
    • saggyroy

All they have to do is accept Jesus on their deathbed and it doesn't matter how horrible a life they lead. They will be forgiven and go to heaven. Even guys like Pol Pot, Hitler, and Stalin. So I am going to commit all the sins I can and then at the last minute repent.

December 9, 2012 at 7:13 am |
  14. Christianity is believing you are saved when your Bible says you are not

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I guess he just ignores the parts he doesn't like.

December 9, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • NClaw441

I prefer to leave the decision about who God allows into His kingdom to God. I am not competent, and I have my hands full trying to live a life worthy of even being considered (by God's grace) for entry into the presence of God.

December 9, 2012 at 6:57 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@ NC – are you suggesting, therefore, that God is competent? God – the deity whose very first creation – people – didn't work when Eve was fooled by a snake? God – the deity that had to kill everything on the planet except those few in the ark? God – the deity that created childhood cancers? Earthquakes? Tsunamis? Volcanoes? God – the designer so staggeringly inept that he gave humans the same orifice and tube for breathing and for eating and drinking – thereby condemning untold numbers of people to choke to death??

THAT competent God?

December 9, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  15. Chick-a-dee

On the one hand, I thought "interesting choice of words & presentation...I guess this is just another way of spreading the message". On the other hand, I can just imagine the cackling idiocy that will get posted on this article. weighing it out it's just not worth the effort of checking back.

December 9, 2012 at 12:10 am |
  16. mama k

Football, NASCAR and religion. The trifecta of uselessness.

December 8, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Football is the greatest sport ever mama k, but I agree with the rest!

December 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • God needs cash

Grab a Chick-fil-a sandwich and enjoy a game for Jesus.

December 9, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • Apple Bush

I have never had one of those sammiches.

December 9, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • sam stone

Football IS a great sport.

American football is 15 minutes of action jam packed into a 3 1/2 hour broadcast

December 9, 2012 at 5:44 am |
    • Guy

mama k
      Normally, I agree with your posts. But my Sunday observance is a tail-gate party and home game, if out of town, beer, wings and pizza on my sofa in front of my 56" wide screen LCD TV. "Without football America would not be great". Ok probably not from one of the founding fathers but damn close!!

December 9, 2012 at 6:59 am |
    • saggyroy

You forgot guns. That ought to be in there somewhere....

December 9, 2012 at 7:14 am |
    • sqeptiq

For many, football is a few years of money and glory followed by a shortened lifetime crippled by injuries and brain damage. And it's getting worse all the time as the players get bigger and faster. Allowing your child to play organized football should be considered child abuse.

December 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
  17. Joe Gibbs

I am a proud graduate of the University of Clichés.

December 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
  18. Reality

“Game Plan for Life in the 21st Century:"

Only for the new members of this blog:

Putting the kibosh/”google” on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

December 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Some assembly required

I was immaculately conceived by the aurora borealis. No, not really, but it would make a great story.

December 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • centeredpiece

There's a reason it's called "faith" and not fact. Faith requires a belief in the non-concrete. I would continue to explain, but see no need to waste any more time. If you prefer not to believe in anything beyond yourself, have at it.

December 9, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • Reality

Having faith in research and rational thinking:

An example for the new members of this blog to include Mr. Gibbs:

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection Con/

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

December 9, 2012 at 7:34 am |
    • ForReal

You sound like a 5 year old telling a professor he is wrong. You don't know enough to comment. But you do anyhow. The funny thing is that the Bible which you discredit, said 2000 years ago that in the last days people like you would exist. (Heady high minded, despisers...) lol

December 9, 2012 at 8:22 am |
    • Reality

AND THE INFAMOUS ANGELIC CONS CONTINUE TO WREAK STUPIDITY UPON THE WORLD

Joe Smith had his Moroni. (As does M. Romney)

"Latter-day Saints like M. Romney also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As does BO and his family)(As do Biden and Ryan)

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie/horn-blowing thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

Some added references to "tink-erbells".

newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

"The belief in guardian angels can be traced throughout all antiquity; pagans, like Menander and Plutarch (cf. Euseb., "Praep. Evang.", xii), and Neo-Platonists, like Plotinus, held it. It was also the belief of the Babylonians and As-syrians, as their monuments testify, for a figure of a guardian angel now in the British Museum once decorated an As-syrian palace, and might well serve for a modern representation; while Nabopolassar, father of Nebuchadnezzar the Great, says: "He (Marduk) sent a tutelary deity (cherub) of grace to go at my side; in everything that I did, he made my work to succeed."
      Catholic monks and Dark Age theologians also did their share of hallu-cinating:

"TUBUAS-A member of the group of angels who were removed from the ranks of officially recognized celestial hierarchy in 745 by a council in Rome under Pope Zachary. He was joined by Uriel, Adimus, Sabaoth, Simiel, and Raguel."

And tin-ker- bells go way, way back:

"In Zoroastrianism there are different angel like creatures. For example each person has a guardian angel called Fravashi. They patronize human being and other creatures and also manifest god’s energy. Also, the Amesha Spentas have often been regarded as angels, but they don't convey messages, but are rather emanations of Ahura Mazda ("Wise Lord", God); they appear in an abstract fashion in the religious thought of Zarathustra and then later (during the Achaemenid period of Zoroastrianism) became personalized, associated with an aspect of the divine creation (fire, plants, water...)."

"The beginnings of the biblical belief in angels must be sought in very early folklore. The gods of the Hitti-tes and Canaanites had their supernatural messengers, and parallels to the Old Testament stories of angels are found in Near Eastern literature. "

"The 'Magic Papyri' contain many spells to secure just such help and protection of angels. From magic traditions arose the concept of the guardian angel. "

For added information see the review at:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel

December 9, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  19. Chad

God favors the very best.

December 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Chad, in what way does he do that?

December 8, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Akira

The very best what?

December 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Some assembly required

That seems terse, Chad. I bet you were the last one picked for kickball this morning.

December 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • Apple Bush

The very best is El Pollo Norteno on 5th street. I know God loves that tri-tip and salsa.

December 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
    • Carlos the Jackel

So god practices survival of the fittest. We already knew that.

December 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • Akira

Again with the food!

December 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • El Pollo Norteno

Thinly sliced Tri-Tip marinated and prepared medium rare. Served juicy with a side of pinto beans, fresh salsa and home-made warm tortillas.

December 8, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Akira

Dammit, Norteno!

December 9, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • Some assembly required

The best is crab stuffed chile rellenos. The crab meat is allowed to poach lightly in lemon juice, then combined with minced sweet onions and a bit of green onion. Stuff poblanos with that, batter and deep fry.

December 9, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • God's Best

The Green River Murderer was one of the best too.

December 9, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Apple Bush

Possibly THE best period: Jiro's Sushi Tokyo

See the documentary film, "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"

December 9, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • Akira

Some Assembly Required:
      That sounds amazing!
      Dammit!
      It has to be real crabmeat though, not the processed crap so many restaurants are resorting to these days.

December 9, 2012 at 1:01 am |
    • Leif

Then God must have his/her/its eye on a different species.

December 9, 2012 at 4:39 am |
    • sam stone

Chad: God said you should stop buggering those sheep. It hurts them

December 9, 2012 at 5:46 am |
    • Guy

Chad
      That is too bad for you because even the gods you do not believe in will abandon you. If jesus can't abide losers, you are on your own, poor Chad.

December 9, 2012 at 6:45 am |
    • sqeptiq

He particularly favors 25 year old single malt scotch, super models and Ferraris.

December 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  20. there is no other truth but truth absolute, and truth absolute is LORD AND GOD OF THE WORLD.

Blessed with every thing, but a hindu, blinded, unable to recognize hinduism crookedness of hindu Magi's, criminal tricksters, bought hindu's cow's mams dung, hindu Mithra ism, racist savior ism, thinking of it to be gold of truth absolute GOD. hindu, stupid.

December 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Apple Bush

hindu-bot decoder:

Markets have been rallying on speculation a deal will get done on the fiscal cliff in Washington. Our market expert looks at Wall Street's best guess at the possible compromises.

December 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • Akira

Wow, Apple, that decoder is good!
      I would never have interpreted it that way!

December 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Who knew!

December 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Lodents for Lomney

The lodents have shorted the Euro. When the dollar rises, the squirrels will be lich.

December 8, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Stupid squirrels.

December 8, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • sqeptiq

Did you teach english to "lionlylamb"?

December 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm |