home
RSS
December 8th, 2012

Winning, by God. Joe Gibbs' third act: Evangelist

By Tom Foreman and Eric Marrapodi, CNN

Charlotte, North Carolina (CNN)—Joe Gibbs moves through pit row at Dover International Speedway with purpose. On this clear day he has three NASCAR teams competing under the banner of Joe Gibbs Racing. The NFL coach and Hall of Fame legend barks encouragement as his teams gather in their fire suits in front of racks of tools.

“We’re due one today! Let’s go!”

Then the team members put their hands together at the center of a circle, Gibbs slaps his on top with the sun catching his Super Bowl ring, and bows his head in a sudden moment of calm before the high-octane storm. “Father thank you for this day,” he begins to pray.

The white hair under his logo covered ball cap is an oddity here. The pits of NASCAR are a young man’s world. Top speed, quick reflexes and raw power are prized.

The drivers are the captains of the cars, but speed and precision of their pit crews – leaping over walls, changing tires and filling gas tanks – is often the difference between winning and loosing.

So what is the 72-year-old Gibbs, well past retirement age, doing amid the chaos and thundering noise?

The same thing Gibbs has always done: He's calling the shots.

“To me, life is so exciting. To me, life is always trying to beat someone in something competitive. It's kinda been my whole life," Gibbs explains while sitting in the sprawling Joe Gibbs Racing Complex in Charlotte, North Carolina, after a recent race.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

He sips on a large green tea, nursing a sore throat he claims is from allergies but is more likely from all the hollering over the racing weekend. Dressed in a polo shirt tucked into khakis, he is fit and trim, likely in better shape than most men half his age. He says he’s as excited now about all he is doing as he was when he was young.

"I really think I am,” he says with a wide, convincing grin.

The rise of Joe Gibbs

Gibbs' rise to sports superstardom began in the 1980s, when he took the struggling Washington Redskins, a team with few stars and even fewer playoff hopes, to not one but three Super Bowl championships, earning the respect of the league and the adoration of fans.

As the cold February rain poured down on fans who came out for the team parade after the 1983 Super Bowl, Gibbs praised their dedication with the enthusiasm that has long made them love him. "There's no other fans in the world who would come out in weather like this except in Washington, D.C.!"

A young mustachioed CNN sports reporter, Keith Olbermann, reported a half-million fans braved the weather for a glimpse of the team, Gibbs and the gleaming Lombardi trophy that day.

“Each one of you has a small piece of this trophy today,” Gibbs yelled into the microphone, pumping the Super Bowl prize for the roaring crowd.

Less than a decade later, he stunned those same fans by turning from football to auto racing, setting up shop in his native North Carolina with admittedly little knowledge of what he was getting into. "I was kind of a novice,” Gibbs said while touring the floor of the JGR workshop. “I was scared to death, you know, 'Can we do this?' "

But Gibbs applied his formula: He worked around the clock, hired great people and relentlessly pushed for perfection. Soon enough the championships started rolling in for his racing teams, too.

Gibbs addresses the media after returning to coach the Redskins

In 2004, Redskins owner Dan Snyder lured Gibbs out of the pits and back to the sidelines. He coached the 'Skins for a four-year stint, helping them get back to the playoffs. But by 2008, Gibbs was ready to go back to racing and he walked away from football for good.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

As an owner, Gibbs' teams have won three NASCAR Cup Series Championships. He talks a lot now about being a small business owner. His racing enterprise employs 450 people and includes the 250,000 square foot facility complete with state of the art garages, offices and gym.

That success in racing makes his latest career turn so unusual, because now he is talking perhaps more than ever before about losing.

When winners are losing

"When people look from the outside, they see you've won Super Bowls, NASCAR championships,” he said. “But what people miss when they look from the outside is, they miss the heartaches and the defeats and the mistakes you've made. And my life is full of them."

In a new edition of the New International Version of the Bible, “Game Plan for Life Bible, NIV: Notes by Joe Gibbs,” and a book of biblical devotions, “Game Plan for Life: Chalk Talks,” Gibbs writes frankly about many of his failures, about how just as his coaching career was soaring he was facing private calamities including a bad real estate deal that had him losing $35,000 a month and spiraling into bankruptcy.

"Bad, bad decisions. Really bad," he explains. “I was broke.”

Gibbs on the sidelines during the height of his coaching career, when he says he was facing personal woes.

Years of neglecting his health were followed by the startling news that he had developed diabetes, which he's now had for two decades; years of choosing work over family led to strained relations. Asked if he would do it all again and sacrifice his relationships with his family, he frankly and quickly says, “No. I look at that as probably one of the biggest mistakes I made in life."

A few years ago he said he took his sons out to out dinner and told them, “Don’t do what I did.”

“I could have organized that a different way. I could have found a way to spend more time with them and I think that’ll be one of the things I really second guess … at the end of my life.”

Finding his faith again

Gibbs says he found comfort amid the turmoil in a renewal of his faith. A life-long Baptist, Gibbs says he’s not fond of denominational distinctions and says he and his wife have always gravitated toward, “Bible-believing churches.”

He became a Christian at a young age, “I made that decision when I was 9 but I spent a part of my life drifting, you know, I was on God’s team but I wasn’t playing for him.”

Church of NASCAR ministers to drivers in a 'life-or-death sport'

He says spiritual mentors like a Sunday school teacher in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and some of his Redskins players helped him get back on track with a deeper, more meaningful Christian faith even while the struggles were at their worst.

“Part of playing the game of life is you’re going to have some losses,” he is fond of saying.

That is why he is sharing his private trials in this public way: so others can understand his belief that even winners lose when they lose their way. He regularly tours the country speaking about his faith at Game Plan for Life Outreach Breakfasts, designed so he can present his faith and help men by “getting off the sidelines and into the game,” the organization says.

"I really want to spend the rest of my life getting out this word, you know, 'What is the right way to play the game of life?' You and I are the players, God's our head coach and we're all playing the biggest game of all."

Those struggles have all made him more introspective, more humble and more inclined to leave the office a little earlier for family time. He now has eight grandchildren.

"If I keep God first in my life, if I keep my family and friends as second, and then I keep my occupation third,” he said, “that's when I've found success."

But make no mistake: Joe Gibbs still preaches the gospel of winning and he still thinks that's part of God's plan for him, too.

Ask him how long he’ll keep coming to the office, stomping through the pits and sharing his testimony, "I think you're asking the wrong guy on that one. I think you need to ask the Lord on that one. I think you know at some point I'll probably run out of gas, but man, right now I feel like I've still got a full tank. I'm still going."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

« Previous entry
  1. flafreethinker

Gibbs has always been a mental case. Trying to use reason,logic and science with these wacko's is like trying to stop a tank with a pop gun. Lol, religion is the evil of the world, and until eradicated, will continue to cause war, hatred,intollerance,bigotry, and over population. Education is the answer, but when brain washing has taken place, religion will continue to be the root of all evil. Being told that god doesn't exist is not comprehensible, and there is money to be made. There is a fool born every minute, Gibbs is making a fortune from these lectures, stupid is as stupid does.

December 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Willy Wonka

too bad flafreethinker you are stupid as stupid does........

December 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • JimiJoni

IN GOD WE TRU$T

December 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

IN GOD WE RU$†

December 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
  2. lionlylamb

I thank the powers of the Godly ordained to have made my sub-microbial celestially built body and the social generalist ambiances leavening for giving me an afforded life to be so lived out upon an Omni-celestial portion of planetary worldly passions felt by self-loathing critiques of renounced meager reckoning! I am a servile small fry amid the many other bigger fryers whose lives are each seeking Truths yet the many do earnestly comply with moralized civilities and make socialized indifferences nonetheless the wiser!

December 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • tony

I never realized the thesaurus was a holy book.

December 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • lionlylamb Decoder

I am entitled to my opinion

December 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

Hey cowardlylion,
      The more you try to sound intelligent, the more you make a fool out of yourself.
      Just stick to saying that you believe in fairy tales and leave it at that.
      It will take you less time, and we won't have to wade thru all the gibberish that you post.

December 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

When I was in grad school someone wrote a program in lisp that could generate text as lionlylamb does. A toy AI that could hold a conversation of sorts and make some headway against a Turing test. Interacting with it was like talking to someone with Williams syndrome.

December 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  3. Christopher

Yes, god certainly is with rich old white men. They're so blessed. It's a shame about all the starving babies god hates in Africa because they're not rich old white men.

December 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Andrew

Your response represents your ignorance of all things God. You probably know the story, Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of eden. The earth was then cursed, sin and pain entered the world. MAN did it, NOT God. Is it Gods' fault that MAN sinned? No

December 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Andrew, Either man did it and god is cursing children for the sins of their ancestors, or god did it, having created Adam and Eve. I don't think you can have it both ways.

December 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • niknak

Wow Andrew, you really bought the whole lie.
      The religious scammers must love you.
      A mind is a terrible thing to lose, to religion.......

December 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • Andrew

It is the consequence of free will. Giving man a choice whether or not to do something had brought about mans' undoing.

December 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

So your god fucked up by giving man free will and allowing millions of children to suffer. Nice god. Fuck 'im!

December 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

would you rather live your life in the ant colony? Andrew

December 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Tell Me

Andrew,

So, will there be free will in "heaven"?

December 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

a life with out suffering become a hell full of suffering.

if you live your life experiencing only bliss it will bore you and become the greats suffering you can endure

if you eat to much cake it will start to taste nasty, to you and you will desire curry

i think i prefer life wit the good and the bad, extremes are always bad.

life is a roller coaster full of ups and downs; Roller coasters are fun!

December 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

me think you have not meditated enough on this heaven thing. yeah sure at first a life with out suffering sounds good; but without suffering their is no empathy, without empathy there is is no compassion, with out compassion their is no wisdom.

the realm of the Davas is a realm void of wisdom and not a desired path for reincarnation. paraphrasing from Buddha

December 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  4. Saraswati

A method was tested recently for identifying schozophrenic writing samples automatically:

I wonder if there would be a way to use this technology with regard to comments posted on sites like this. Please anyone who responds to this don't name names; those of us familiar with the writing styles know which posts we're talking about and there's no point in stirring things. But I do wonder if there would be a point in filtering or if some sort of intervention could be used to get people back on their meds.

December 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • tony

Being a Good Samaritan puts you in both camps!

December 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Akira

I just read this, Sara.
      This is fascinating.

December 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
  5. John Diomitron

@Emma posted "one day the gods of man will be gone, and we will be old enough not to need new ones"

One day in the very near future, you as well as I and all who were, are, and will be WILL bow before Him whether you knew Him or not! He knows you for He created you. He even knows the very thoughts you are having in the deepest recesses of your feeble mind while you are reading this. Be very careful Emma, He just heard that! Even you can't hide from Him Emma! There is no mountain high enough or ocean deep enough for you to hide. Even in silence He hears your deepest secrets for He looks at the hearts of mankind.

Though some may strive to walk righteously, no one is righteous...no not one! No one is like Him Who is enthroned above. Soon the Father wil say to the Son at His right hand, "Your enemies have been made Your footstool. Go and take Your inheritance. It is Yours for You overcame! The nations are Your inheritance, the ends of the earth Your possession."

Who can hide from the Most High? No one can! He sees all, hears all, knows all, and nothing is hidden from Him. He is holy, righteous, and just...AND HE DOES NOT CHANGE!

How can I depart without something for Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son (Satan changed his name to Piper?) who stated "I'll comment as I wish and where I want. Your approval isn't required, as last time I checked, you weren't the CEO of CNN or the thread nanny of this blog"

Neither are you the Creator, the Author of all. He does not need your permission for His servants to speak the Word! He will speak and all mankind WILL hear as His voice thunders from above! You and others will soon see His mighty wonders. It is your world in which your father spews his lies and deceives mankind that is the fairy tale! You are the deceived and blind one by the actions of your own father whom you follow!

REPENT!

December 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Damocles

You need a cure, may I suggest syloquial? 4 out of 5 doctors can't tell the difference.

December 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • hal 9001

I'm sorry, "John Diomitron", but "Him", as an alias for the God of Israel, is an element of mythology. Therefore, it is impossible for you or Emma to "bow before Him". Similarly, the rest of your assertions are unfounded"

Using my Idiomatic Expression Equivalency module (IEE), the expression that best matches the degree to which your assertions may represent truths is: "EPIC FAIL".

December 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm |

Ph u John.
      You repent.
      I don't have shee_t to repent for.
      Your god only exists within your head. It is not comming back as it was never here.
      Your stone age magic man is as real as santa claus.

December 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Christopher

No one is going to be bowing down to any non-existent god. The ignorance that runs rampant among so called adults in our country truly depresses me sometimes. Embrace science and stop holding on to these old wive's tales that you know to b false somewhere within your mind.

December 9, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • BurningMan

For an entertaining view of John Diomitron, go to youtube and enter the following in the video search:

.Elijah again? Our prophecy speaks of two witnesses to come....

Don't bother with the video...just read the comments made by this...uh...gentleman....

BTW, John, nice telling of your vision about the earthquake (a 2.2?...really) in Philly...several days after the vision's fulfillment...just like the OT "prophecies" about Jesus....fitting the event with the vision/prophecy...such honesty in the ranks of the Body of Christ....LoL

December 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
  6. lionlylamb

the AnViL wrote to PaulB: “present your evidence of the imaginary man in the sky. we're waiting “

Anvil, “Where does one rationally think that inward celestial cosmologies of the cellular kinds are no more different than the outward celestial kinds? Who likewise can fathom a rationalization that nothingness being the great seas of outer-space flow inwardly as lakes and rivers and streams of absolute nothingness binding always together and ever keeping apart all atomized quadrants in all spatial commodities?

December 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • lionlylamb Decoder:

A line can be drawn between quantum mechanics and astrophysics

December 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • tony

You can imagine trillions of different fantasy ways the Universe could have come into being and develeped. The action by a god, is just one of those options, which are all equally unsubstantiated.

Physics tries to come up with rational answer by analyzing the evidence we can access and drawing the various possible conclusions into the most likely answer.

December 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • the AnViL

normally i do not entertain the mentally infirm... but i sometimes make exceptions:

–history-----------------------------–

11/25 marco rubiotard ignites debate on stuff he shouldn't mess with.

lionlylamb posted: "FYI, I am seeing a psychiatrist 8 years now with the same lady doctor..." "...and I am taking my meds unconditionally and without question. I take 15mgs of generic Zyprexa an anti-psychotic."

schizophrenic..... told ya so.

----------------------------------

lionlylamb – i am not your psychiatrist – but if i were i would up your zyprexa dosage to 30mg – prescribe powerful chemical restraints..., probably... and definitely advise you not to post on any public forums unless they specifically deal with schizophrenia.

this isn't healthy for you as it opens you up to ridicule which is in no way constructive – and you will undoubtedly consciously dismiss anyway... but more importantly – it effects you unconsciously, and not in a good way.

try out http://www.schizophreniaforums.com

December 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm |

@ Tony
      You can't try to reason with cowardly lion.
      It would be like trying to explain to your dog why you have to pay the phone bill.
      He will just never be able to comprehend what you are saying.

December 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
    • lionlylamb

the AnViL,

Although I have laid my life ills upon the world, the worldly knows only the cause in name only and not the effectualness of my being positively treated! One cannot base their tirades of unsound emotionalized verboseness toward anyone who tells their truthfulness of being and what became of them. None of you know my sickness therefore none can claim my thoughtfulness insights to not be a culmination of a diseased mind but of a successfully treated one. Treat me with respect and I will not levy disrespectfulness and vice versa.

December 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • lionlylamb Decoder

Translation: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

December 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • the AnViL

lionlylamb – yes yes – i see you screaming out to be heard! i see your desperate need to communicate all the beautiful wonderous things in your head...

*deep heavy sigh*

being diagnosed with a mental illness puts you in the same category as the colorblind.

i give you no more credence in regards to your grasp on reality than i would the colorblind when attempting to separate red from green apples.

dismissed.

December 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
  7. kd

There are, no doubt, as many non-religious/atheists just as successful, or more, than Mr. Gibbs. The difference is they don't feel the need to pound people over the head about it.

December 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • CRC

I didn't see the word "pound" anywhere in this story as you describe it. Maybe you should read it again with an open mind and stop trying to deny the God that made you and all of creation. You owe Him your thanks and recognition of who He is and the plan of salvation that he has so graciously offered to you although you are still free to choose to die in your sins and spend eternity in the lake of fire with satan and the rest of the fallen angels and fallen mankind.

December 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Damocles

@CRC

Please come up with a more compelling reason to believe in a deity other than 'he's gonna kill you if you don't'.

December 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm |

Prove that CRC.
      You have zero proof that any god "made" us, or any other living thing, or non living thing for that matter.
      You have bought into a huge lie. You are no different then a young child who still believes in santa claus.
      The exception is that the child is a child, and believing in santa claus is cute.
      Whereas you are an adult, and to still believe in santa claus is creepy.

December 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
  8. Open Mind !

When God ALONE is mentioned, the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter shrink with aversion. But when others are mentioned beside Him, they become satisfied.[Quran 39:45]

When they are told, "Believe like the people who believed," they say, "Shall we believe like the fools who believed?" In fact, it is they who are fools, but they do not know. [Quran 2:13]

O people, worship only your Lord – the One who created you and those before you – that you may be saved. [Quran 2:21]

If you have any doubt regarding what we revealed to our servant*, then produce one sura like these, and call upon your own witnesses against God, if you are truthful. If you cannot do this – and you can never do this – then beware of the Hellfire, whose fuel is people and rocks; it awaits the disbelievers. [Quran 2:23-24]

December 9, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • Get Real

"Hellfire, whose fuel is people and rocks.."

Your VERIFIED evidence for this is.... ?

December 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Open Mind !

'Get Real' with all due respect, whats the point in believing after you see the evidence...look around yourself and see yourself and thank your creator for all you have...peace !

December 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • Saraswati

That was really my problem with the Quran (yes, I read it cover to cover)...it just kept repeating" believe or you will burn" (over and ove and over...). It was just so repetative with little extra content. Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Jewish and Christian texts are so much more gripping I think that Islam needs to have the strict apostasy laws they have or their adherents would flee to any of the far more interesting religious books out there.

December 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Damocles

Oddly enough I tend to thank only those people that actually helped me achieve what I want in life, not something that did nothing. I'm weird like that.

December 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Get Real

No evidence? Then you'd better believe in Quetzalcoatl. Ra. Hunab Ku... Or any/all of the other creator-gods dreamed up by people over the ages. There is no verified evidence for them either.

December 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Just call me Lucifer

Quite the opposite of an open mind. Do you think the BS written by men in your holy book will change the minds of those who think rationally? Your gods are myth, and the power that religion once had is fading. Good riddance.

December 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm |

Hey Closed mind;

Phuck god.

December 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • CRC

John 3:
      14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

Jesus Christ is the only way to see Jehova God. The Bible is the only Holy book written by numerous authors that are all in agreement and show how the Father's plan of salvation was set before the creation of the world, then tells us of His time here on earth in the New Testament and also explains the tribulations of the end times and how false religions will abound and that we can be ready for His return so that we can all spend eternity with Him in Heaven. With an open and honest heart compare any religious book to the Bible and you will see which is truth when you seek Him with your whole heart.

December 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Get Real

CRC,

The Bible is a book which includes *some* history of primitive Hebrew culture, and *some* good advice for practical, beneficial human behavior, but mostly it is a compilation of ancient Middle Eastern historical fiction, myth, legend, superst.ition and fantasy.

The NT is a collection of the writings of various 1st century evangelists who were promoting their new offshoot religion.

There is not a whit of verified evidence for any of the supernatural beings and events in that book.

December 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

"No evidence? Then you'd better believe in Quetzalcoatl. Ra. Hunab Ku... Or any/all of the other creator-gods..."
      Agreed

many gods have said they are the creator all of which have used creation as their evidence, so its allot better if we say we do not know, and honor the god/goddesses for what they are doing and will do

Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah are destroying the world and want to, so i will not honer them.

even Athena who once turned her spear toward Gaia no protects her; because she is the creation. whether or not she created herself, or another god created her; creation is what is most sacred because we are a part of her and any go who harts her or teaches dominion over our mother should not be revered, but loathed

the Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah or the "one god" is a danger to creation its self. and is a danger to all people for the belief in monotheism only leads to bigotry; when you deny other peoples god/goddesses existence. there is but two options; ether all god or no gods, exist

December 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
    • BurningMan

@crc

already seen "Jehova God" in the lives of the Body of Christ...ugly, uncaring, unkind and lacking in even a remote measure of integrity, mercy, grace or one of the descriptions given in 1 Corinthians 13:4ff...

December 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

"Open mind". What else do you believe in without evidence? I'd be very surprised if you not verify anything that your bank, stockbroker, insurance salesperson, car mechanic, etc. tell you. Just because you feel that nature is wonderful doesn't mean god did it. There is no evidence of a god this side of the Big Bang; every thing we see has a pretty good scientific explanation based on evidence.

December 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • niknak

That is exactly how far the fundies have been pushed Santa, all the way to the big bang.
      They used to point to the sun, or the moon, or to lightening or earthquakes as their "proof of god."
      But science came along and solved all those things, as well as many others, and the fundies have been pushed 14.5 billion years back in time to the big bang.
      And guess what?
      Science will solve that too and push the fundies back to some point before that as their proof.
      How sad for them to still have to cling onto the myth....

December 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • BurningMan

@niknak....

they're quite certain they're god can be found "behind" Planck time...historically, Christians have shown themselves incapable of coming up with something on their own...they always have to usurp someone elses though-filled work and then claim it as "inspired" by their god...

and their god said "thou shalt not covet.."

December 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  9. jfkman

Who cares who this d-bag prays to? It once was considered course and low to be spouting out your political or religious opinions. He's successful, but I can assure you HE worked really hard at it without any intervention from dog.

December 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  10. lionlylamb

mama k wrote on December 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm, saying, “Well yes, lamb, the little buggies from yogurt and sauerkraut are good for the body, but you you gotta keep the lanes open – don't hold onto that stuff. Have some prunes the night before if necessary.”
    Lionlylamb replies o mama k, “Are there not microbial wars going on within the bodies of all sub-micro-celestial containers of all curtailed and unwary life still yet living and alive? If one cannot escape death’s gateway, what are the points to which our livelihoods should be gained upon and found referenced towards? Your “syloquial” humor I do find amusing and yet such as you are made inferential affluences for the commoner peasants pleasing ways!”

December 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
    • mama k

Oh Boy, the one who was reading Thoreau when he got bit by a rabid dog is after me again. lol. Poor thing thinks he's a lion and a lamb now.

December 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • Apple Bush

lionlylamb decoder:

mama K, there is life after death.

December 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • lionlylamb

mama k,

Vesuvius the mount of an acid drip trip makes for wholesome accolades doesn't one think? :-) :-) :-)

December 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Akira

There is no such word as "syloquial”.
      It sounds like a medication.

December 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • Damocles

4 out of 5 doctors can't tell the difference between syloquial and real medicine.

December 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Akira,

I know no such word Akira and that is why I put it within quotations!

December 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  11. Mohammad A Dar

Pacquiao lost last night, why didn't God answer his prayer, he does just before all his fights?

December 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Come on! It's simple! The other guy prayed harder / better to his god. Or the other guy's god is more powerful.

December 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • kd

Not to mention Romney on November 6

December 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • niknak

The others guys god AND right hand were more powerful.

December 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • CRC

So you are so simple as to believe that god is a genie in a bottle, what a silly thought.

December 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Damocles

@CRC

Believing a deity is a genie is no different than thinking it's your golden ticket into a heaven. I think you will see quite a few posts by believers on here that claim that prayer works, that they have had dozens of prayers answered personally by a deity. Who makes it seem like a genie?

December 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

friends, my take is, prayer is used by athletes to boost self-confidence, like performance enhancing drug, hoping prayer would make God plant an invisible horse shoe in your glove is stupidity, and sure way to be knocked out flat on your ass, in one punch, ask Pacquiao goons, if you don't believe me.

December 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  12. tony

When success in "Sports" has e beneficial effect on the lot of the humans on this planet, it should be news. E.g. winning the World Series cures starvation in Africa, or electing an MVP, ends the war in Afghanistan with lasting peace.

December 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
    • Charles B

You're right, professional sports is just entertainment, usually with a touch of regional or city pride thrown in. It really doesn't "mean" anything.

December 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Using your own definition, how does sports differ from religion? Last time I checked, no religion has cured starvation or ended a war, and religions often involve millions of dollars.

December 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Chad

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1

December 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • MaryJ

Religious leaders, and professional athletes and coaches: Two groups that profit from being adored.

December 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • MaryJ

Chad
      Looking after orphans and widows sounds like socialism to me! ;-)

December 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Clint

"Otherwise it's just about "entertainers" making obscene amounts of money doing no useful work. So maybe ideal place for a "religious" person to do more fantasy driven self-promotion."

The majority of religion in a nutshell.

December 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • tony

@ Chad – I have for James 1:27 : Pure religion and undefiled before god and the father is this: To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

December 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • niknak

Yeah Chad, how many orphans have you looked after?
      How many starving people have you fed?
      Have you done anything for anyone less fortunate then you?

And if so, you should take the credit, not some mythical "god."

December 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Chad

@niknak "Yeah Chad, how many orphans have you looked after? How many starving people have you fed?
      Have you done anything for anyone less fortunate then you? And if so, you should take the credit, not some mythical "god.""

=>before I became a Christian? none that I remember..
      After becoming a Christian? dozens is a big understatement.

so, how in the world could I take credit for that, if the abilities that I have to earn money came from God, and the desire to help those that cant help themselves comes from God?

December 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What sort of lucrative ability did your god give you that you didn't have before you believed in it, Chard?

December 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So before you became a "Christian" (I don't think you really are one), you had no desire to help others?

Says a lot about your character.

December 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • Damocles

@chad

December 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Chad

@Damocles "Strange that you can't remeber if you helped anyone before you became a believer, do you suffer from pre-deity amnesia? It's weird that you need a deity to help people and yet I help people all the time out of simple kindness. Odd."
      =>It reflects what I was before (not a "bad" person, but looking out for myself basically), and what I'm as a result of ongoing transformation .

December 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Your posts put the lie to that, Chard.

December 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • CNN Zeroes

After hurricane Sandy hit NE, rumor has it that atheists were in the forefront helping the victims of the storm.Rumor has it, rumor has it... Not!!! ;)

It was the Christian churches in the forefront helping people, go figure!

December 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm sure you have the stats to show that, don't you? Can you also show proof that atheists did not assist said victims? Probably not, because atheists don't have a church organization that blows its own horn.

December 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Sam Yaza

its not weather or not the church was first its they were their to prey on the suffering to get convert,

helping because some one needs help
      vs
      helping because you want them to join you little club

the Atheist were more moral then you in this situation

December 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Zeroes, how would you know how many people contributing to emergency relief funds for any tragedy are atheists? Do you think people note it on the checks they send to the Red Cross? Is there a box atheists check off when donating blood? Money?

Moron.

December 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
  13. Dave Thrush

December 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • tony

Reaction to almost endless drive by billboards outside churches for a start.

December 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • Bev

Why do women join M.A.D.D.? Certainly not to talk about how cool drinking and driving is, right?

December 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • LinCA

@Dave Thrush

You said, "Atheists keep posting on these religious articles because apparently there's something deep down still bugging them...why else would they continue to do so?"
      Talking about how nonsensical the beliefs in gods is, is a public service. The harm done to society because of these beliefs is enough reason to argue against them. As soon as religious beliefs are no longer used to discriminate against disliked groups, or to impede science and education, a lot of atheists will probably cease fighting them.

December 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • mama k

I think if you watch closely, I think you'll find that when comments indicate something that legally would be unconstitutional, that you'll get some kind of response, if not a rash of them – at least that's how it affects me. In the U.S., the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution is always being tested. If it was simply majority rule, we would have been a theocracy long ago.

December 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • sam stone

because making fun of false piety is entertaining

December 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • niknak

What bugs us is that you "believers" keep trying to force us to go along with your stone age myth.
      What bugs us is that you keep forcing your stone age "morals" on us.
      What bugs us is that you get tax exempt status to further your make believe world while we pay the taxes for you churches.
      What bugs us is that you turn to violence and kill when others don't go along with your madness.
      What bugs us is that you try to force science to conform to your stone age book.
      What bugs us is that you have zero proof of your god(s), and get mad when we ask for any.

December 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • motoxdoc

Yes, there are a lot of things about your believes that bug us.....what niknac said x 2!

December 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • Saraswati

I think the OT is Iron Age, not Stone Age. There may be some repet.ition of stories from the Bronze Age, but not likely the Stone Age. Not contesting the point, but to be accurate...

December 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
    • the AnViL

dave – there are a lot of really good responses here, all verifiable, substantiated claims... for which there is little defense...

but you need no defense!!!

fortunately you already KNOW the answer to your question!

it's obviously satan. all the unholy antichrist atheist filth are suffering because there is a hole in their hearts where jebus should live... that hole is, instead – filled with fear, anger, and pure sin – all a product of satan.

fight the unbelievers!!

you are gods warrior dave!!!

splat!

December 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
    • BurningMan

Hi, Dave...although you're long gone, thought I'd weigh in:

I find a far greater integrity of value in the comments of the atheists on this blog...Sadly, I find confirmation, here, in the comments of the "Christians," of the lack of integrity of their beliefs, of their understanding of their scriptures (including the words in red...which seem to be ignored quite readily), and the most important confirmation: how the Body of Christ lives as if their god does not exist.

Truly enlightening...

December 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  14. Open Mind !

God in Quran says, (holy Islamic scripture)

“God: there is no other god besides Him, the Living, the Eternal. Never a moment of unawareness or slumber overtakes Him. To Him belongs everything in the heavens and everything on earth. Who could intercede with Him, except in accordance with His will? He knows their past, and their future. No one attains any knowledge, except as He wills. His dominion encompasses the heavens and the earth, and ruling them never burdens Him. He is the Most High, the Great.” [2:255]

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

‘They said, "You have to be Jewish or Christian, to be guided." Say, "We follow the religion of Abraham – monotheism – he never was an idol worshiper." [2:135]

“Proclaim, He is the One and only GOD. The Absolute GOD. Never did He beget. Nor was He begotten. None equals Him." [112:1]

God will say, "O Jesus, son of Mary did you say to the people, `Make me and my mother idols beside God?' " He will say, "Be You glorified. I could not utter what was not right. Had I said it, You already would have known it. You know my thoughts, and I do not know Your thoughts. You know all the secrets.[5:116]

The Messiah, son of Mary is no more than a messenger like the messengers before him, and his mother was a saint. Both of them used to eat the food. Note how we explain the revelations for them, and note how they still deviate! [5:75]

“No soul can carry the sins of another soul. If a soul that is loaded with sins implores another to bear part of its load, no other soul can carry any part of it, even if they were related. ... [35:18]

It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is. [19:35]

“When My servants ask you about Me, I am always near. I answer their prayers when they pray to Me. The people shall respond to Me and believe in Me, in order to be guided.” [2:186]

“There shall be no compulsion in religion: the right way is now distinct from the wrong way. Anyone who denounces the devil and believes in God has grasped the strongest bond; one that never breaks. God is Hearer, Omniscient.” [2:256]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to clear your misconception by going to whyIslam org website.

December 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

Prove that your god exists and I will read more. Otherwise I am not interested in your myths.

December 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • My car goes around faster than your car so ha ha ha.

Islam is a moon god cult. It was taken directly from the worship of the Arabic god named "Sin". Sin was a moon god. Why do you think the crescent moon is all over everything Islamic. al-Ilah was the crescent phase of the moon god. I could worship the moon, but I live in Laguna Beach, and we worship the sun out here. The ancients thought the moon was more powerful as the moon looked bigger than the sun in the firmament. Convert now while there is still time. Worship the sun.

December 9, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • mama k

Ramen, faster car.

December 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • niknak

Too long, too boring.....

December 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • CRC

If you follow a false religion you will never understand who Jehova God is. Think about the fact that the Quran has one author and the Bible has many authors yet all of scripture is in perfect alignment explaining the coming of God's Son Jesus and how this was the plan before the foundation of the world. There had to be a perfect sacrifice for man's sins and the only one that could do that was the Son of God who was perfect and sinless having only an earthly mother but a Heavenly Father. The Bible clearly explains that no matter how holy we may be, our righteousness is as filthy rags and we will go to hell for who we are without Christ. Only in Christ are we able to be born again and become new creatures in Christ which makes us acceptable to Jehova God so that we may spend eternity with Him in Heaven.

December 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • Damocles

@CRC

Shhhh! Crazy time is over. Grow up. Be a good person simply because you want to be, if you need a deity to be good, you are a coward deep down.

December 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  15. My car goes around faster than your car so ha ha ha.

Not only that, but my god is better than yer god, so ha ha ha.

December 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • niknak

No he is not, my god can beat up your god.

December 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  16. a dose of reality

There are many Atheists however who look down upon Christians as being inferior however because they have not made the leap of common sense and logic to understand that their God is a long perpetrated myth. In a sense it is akin to looking at a child who believes in Santa Clause. As adults we know full well he does not exist. The child hasn't grown up enough to shrug off the silly fantasy that has been fed to him/her to placate them. We see ourselves as the new grown-ups and you as the children placated by your Santa. We are urging you to grow out of that myth.

The thing is, if you had met an Adult who still believed in Santa you would most likely treat them similarly. Think there's something fundamentally wrong with their sense of reality and wish to explain to them how ridiculous it is. The large difference here is in the fact that Christianity as a whole isn't so innocent as Santa. Christianity is guilty of so very many evil deeds in the name of God and the believers in Christianity are guilty of ignorance. Pretend for a second that the majority of people believed in Santa as a true fact and tried to force you to believe, coerce you to believe and judge you for not believing. This of course being the LEAST of what religions have done to people who don't believe them. You know Santa is a farce. You would be annoyed, angry, and feel like common sense had flown the coop.

That is what Atheists are dealing with.

All the logic, science, education and clear and obvious data about the world is purposefully ignored by theists and you swallow lies your whole lives, closed off to the possibility that you are wrong. We are not closed off to the possibility that we are wrong.. In fact, that's how most of us got to this stage of sanity. I was a believer who dared to question the "truth" of the gospels. When the answer to my questions were "pray about it" and "have faith" I needed to keep looking.

We would be less angry if religions kept to themselves and stopped trying to dictate how others lived. If it stayed out of politics, we wouldn't be angry. If it stopped trying to tell people who aren't followers how to live their lives, we wouldn't care what you believed. If religions didn't cause untold millions of deaths, we would just simply giggle at your silly faith. That is not the case at all.

You don't see us making cases against people who believe in Pagan faiths, we don't typically touch on Buddhism either. Because they don't try to control others. They do their thing and enjoy their beliefs without causing harm. You will never hear any of us speak out against Jainism for example. Never. They have a simple rule "above all, do no harm" and they follow it very closely. If your religion had that as the tenet and nothing else, we would be happy for you.

December 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • lionlylamb

a dose of reality wrote on December 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm,

Lionlylamb writes, “Are not our bodies made up of micro-celestial cellular containments much the same way of macro-celestial universalistic containments are so being fashioned?”

December 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • lionlylamb

a dose of reality,

Lionlylamb writes, “Are not our bodies made up of micro-celestial cellular containments much the same way of macro-celestial universalistic containments are so being fashioned? Who can thusly affirm themselves to being no more than a container of wherein nothingness becomes the bonding agent of one’s body? Likewise who can deny the celestially straddled above us that nothingness is the stellar environments great seas of absolute nothingness holding together all of every universes within the great Cosmos of the unknowable? For you see, Nothingness is the firmament of all things made no matter the shapes or sizes of the shaped! Nothingness is the waters of all fermentations lamentations unequivocal consternations!

December 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • mama k

December 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Al

Great post, i understand where your coming from and im a christian. You should know that there are people that believe in God only acknowledging him but are more interested in keeping their human traditions. There are people you say they believe but really don't, they do it for social advantages or to seem righteous in front of other people. They pretend to be humble but they dont help people stop from doing evil.
      As christian i am not better than an atheist. I do not view anyone as better or lower than me. I receive my understanding from God because I do not lean only on my own understanding, there are things that science, logic and education cannot explain.
      For christians everyday is a fight for faith, were in this world with those that preach one thing but do not practice it.

December 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • PaulB

It's not that huge a "leap of common sense and logic" to realize that God is no different than any of the other gods we've ever had. If you dismiss any of the others as myth without any "proof" that they never existed then you have no reason to treat God any differently.

December 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • the AnViL

PaulB: present your evidence of the imaginary man in the sky.

we're waiting

December 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • CRC

Only a person without logic could look at God's creation, could look at themselves, could look at the design of male and female and then stand back and say that it was just a big accident of time and chance. Can you not see that simple fact??? The Bible explains that God's creation makes all men to be without excuse when it comes to the determination of whether or not there is a God. You can only deny God because you want to live your life as you please without regard to the Creator of this 6000 year old universe.

December 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Really

CRC maybe you're been huffing too much CRC Brake Cleaner spray, however unlikely you view it it is possible. As a religious person don't ever bring up statistics + probability, you'll lose every time and get laughed at.

So let me get this straight, it's far fetched for us to NOT have been created by a God and that's illogical but you believe there's a heaven and hell, a mystical deity who watches over us yet fails to intervene in bloodshed that occurs daily in his name, this deity is all powerful but for some reason can't do anything more than a coin toss could and for some reason everything he can do is limited to exactly the same domain as nature (EX: God can never regenerate a missing limb)?

This deity claims to be good but what he does is malicious and sick: he creates a bunch of people and makes them guess about his state. Those that do believe in him bomb and kill people who don't and those who don't will be thrown into a lake of fire because they take into account evidence (of his doing or lack thereof) that points to his non-existence. Sounds more like a kid pulling wings off of a bug before setting it on fire with hairspray and a lighter.

Face it, your God is sick. Your God is deficient, even believers know this. That's why he's a buzzword crutch they use for anything and everything. Thank God I got over that flu, thank God for Tim Tebow. Thank God for making me a rich football coach. Those starving people halfway over the world, how can God possibly have time for that? He's busy helping someone with a football and some megapastors stay rich.

December 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • BurningMan

@ crc...

"...6000 year old universe."

Thanks, crc...you've clarified that a serious conversation with you is impractical...I withdraw the questions I posed to you...

P.S. refer to Pat Robertson

December 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Damocles

@criminallyretardedchristian

Oh yes, let's look at the oh so evil life I lead.... let's see... there is the always evil getting up in the morning, having a blasphemous glass of mt dew (can't stand coffee) and doing my workout to keep in shape. Then after sacrificing a goat, I take a shower (I'm kidding about the goat, I only sacrifice kittens). After showering I'll usually grab a bite to eat, then I'll call my child and make sure everything is going ok with them. Then it's off to work, which I'll admit is a fairly evil thing to have to do, but it pays the bills. Truly I'm a barbaric heathen who deserves to die for eternity.

December 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  17. bill pike

class–we had one in dallas named tom landry-they must have been twins at birth. Think–cowboys and redskins-big big big but these two men tom landry and joe gibbs have a deeper more meaning "business". The lives tom landry and joe gibbs have changed===well we miss him and his hat that nobody except joe gibbs could wear. God bless both these men of God. Boy, are they needed more today than ever.

December 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  18. notreligious

I'm not a particularly religious person. But I have to ask, why are atheists posting on the religion site? And why are the atheists so full of hate?

December 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Really

Really is this supposed to be a serious question?

1. Because they have the right to, this isn't a democracy but it isn't a religious dictatorship either.
      2. For the same reason the religious nutcases pour over into every other article about gays or atheists. Just look at the comments for the article on the very front page about gay boomers.

Everyone has an opinion on something, you're not clever asking why atheists are not leaving religious people alone. Nobody leaves any body alone on the internet, get real.

December 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • larrymellette3d

Agreed, as an atheist I came here because I am always disgusted by my fellow atheist and how rude they are.

I actually see more hate from atheist towards Christians then from Christians towards atheist.

December 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • gager

Why are believers so full of hate? This is a serious question.

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • larrymellette3d

Love how, they also speak of tolerance but are not tolerant towards anyone who believes in something they don't.

It's sad,

I come with the belief of people are free to believe in what they want, as long as it's not harming anyone.

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It isn't a "religion site." It's a "belief blog."

It's also a free country, and anyone is allowed to comment here, regardless of what beliefs they have, or what beliefs they lack.

December 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Why is it ?

I believe in The Pink Unicorn. Why can't people just let me believe in pink unicorns ? This is supposed to be the religion of unicorns place. Why can't people just let me believe in Santa and my Ether Rabbit and leave me alone ?

December 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And what about those beliefs when the DO harm others? What about those zealots who want to forbid women to control their own bodies and have the final say over whether or not to continue an unplanned pregnancy? What about those fundies who want to prevent others from having the same legal rights they enjoy because it doesn't square with their beliefs?

I'll comment as I wish and where I want. Your approval isn't required, as last time I checked, you weren't the CEO of CNN or the thread nanny of this blog.

December 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Really

Exactly and let's not play dumb here. Religious people claim all the time that they're simply practicing their beliefs and that atheists always attack them. The truth is atheists have no choice but to attack them and they need to. They need to become militant and squash religion not because they don't believe in it but because the religious don't limit their religion to the confines of their soul. Rather, they use it as the basis for anything and everything in life including policy-making decisions and how they treat their fellow man.

In this case, guilty as charged. I WILL always be a militant Atheist if it means I can keep nutbags from telling me how to live my life and what I can do not because it hurts another person but because their imaginary sky man tells them they can't and as a result I can't either.

There have been HUNDREDS of religions formed since the dawn of humanity, are you to seriously say your religion is the correct one and that which should be used to govern life for the rest? And what exactly happens when the tables are turned and as a Christian you find yourself under the thumb of an Islamist politician who insists that women not be allowed to walk in public between 9AM and 6PM. Doesn't taste good right? Now you know how Atheists feel.

December 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

- to keep an eye on the crazies (mentally ill delusional believers)
      - to correct the bullsh!t the crazies spew
      - to show those on the fence and those in cults (all religions) that it's ok to reject myths in general and the notion of god specifically
      - the sh!t believers come up with is often quite hilarious

December 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • the AnViL

anti-theism is growing.

tolerance of religious idiocy has to end... and it will.

expect us

(hahaha now we're "anonymous")

December 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • sam stone

this is not a religion blog. it is a belief blog. atheists have beliefs, too. one of them is the idea that religious beliefs should not be codified into secular laws

December 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • CRC

My thoughts exactly. There are no real atheists; only people who choose to not recognize God because they want to pretend that He does not exist. This fairy tale for them will end right after they die. Trouble is that after they die it will be too late to change their new situation in the flames of hell.

December 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Damocles

@CRC

You said 'my thoughts'. That made me laugh.... you.... acting like you have a thought... wow... still laughing.

December 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
    • Get Real

CRC,
      "... after they die it will be too late to change their new situation in the flames of hell."

And your VERIFIED evidence that this actually happens is....?

December 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • BurningMan

@crc...

Who is your god, crc?

December 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What sort of loving father kills his own children because they don't believe everything he says?

December 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • sam stone

crc: your empty proxy threats are laughable. get back on your knees, b1tch

December 10, 2012 at 4:20 am |
  19. Tammy LKN

His race complex is not in Charlotte, it is in Huntersville, NC, I lived 3 miles from it. Get your facts right.

December 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
    • notreligious

You are correct. I used to work there. Good man. But if you aren't from the Charlotte area you wouldn't know where Huntersville is. Just like Charlotte Motor Speedway is in Concord.

December 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm |