home
RSS
'Choose Life' license plates ruled unconstitutional in North Carolina
December 11th, 2012

'Choose Life' license plates ruled unconstitutional in North Carolina

By Joe Sutton, CNN

(CNN) - A federal judge ruled that North Carolina's new "Choose Life" license plates are unconstitutional because the state does not offer a pro-choice alternative.

"The State's offering a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice alternative constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment," U.S. District Court Judge James Fox wrote in the ruling Friday.

The ruling was praised by the American Civil Liberties Union, which had filed a lawsuit in 2011 to stop the specialty plates.

"This is a great victory for the free speech rights of all North Carolinians, regardless of their point of view on reproductive freedom," said Chris Brook of the ACLU. "The government cannot create an avenue of expression for one side of a contentious political issue while denying an equal opportunity to citizens with the opposite view."

Republican state Rep. Mitch Gillespie, who sponsored the bill for the "Choose Life" plates, said he would push for an appeal of the judge's decision, CNN affiliate WRAL reported.

The bill for the license plates passed in 2011, and the legislation also mandated that money raised from the sale of the specialty plates would go to a nonprofit that supports crisis pregnancy centers, WRAL reported.

During the fight to get the bill passed, North Carolina lawmakers voted down amendments that would have created pro-choice alternatives such as "Trust Women. Respect Choice," the affiliate reported.

The "Choose Life" plates are available in 29 states, according to Choose Life Inc., a nonprofit that helps states that want to sell these specialty plates.

- A. Hawkins

Filed under: Abortion • Courts • North Carolina

soundoff (3,213 Responses)
  1. sortakinda

Someone said the woman in Ireland who died without an abortion about the issue. Not much good. She cannot speak. But the real "Jane Roe" Norma McCovery can and has spoken:

Asked if she felt abortion defenders championed her rights and best interests in Roe v. Wade, she responded, "I firmly believe that the only 'champions' of this whole situation are the women who have been lucky enough to not be aborted since Roe v. Wade was handed down. The national pro-abortion organizations or, as I call them - National 'want to be women' [organizations] - keep demanding more and more. Take, for instance, partial-birth abortion. They simply can't get enough of 'killing their young.' My only response to them is, 'Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.'"

December 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • sortakinda

"Someone said ASK the woman in Ireland..."

December 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Akira

Religious beliefs should not be legislated into civil law.
      Period.
      The US is a Republic, not a theocracy.
      If you are firmly against abortion, do not get one.

December 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • Akira

You may also ask the fetus in Ireland how it feels to have no mother...wait, no you can't; the fetus died, too.

December 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're a little behind, sorta dumb. What you morons describe as "partial-birth abortion" was outlawed YEARS ago because of zealots like you. Now, women who need a late-term abortion because the fetus is so abnormal it cannot survive more than a few hours, and will suffer a painful death if born alive, have to undergo a much more invasive, dangerous procedure.

Good going, dumbazz.

December 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • sortakinda

Akira, dear, I am also against killing other people beyond unborn infants, e.g., postpartum infants, preschool children, school age children, young adults and older people, herein North America and overseas . I am also opposed to stealing. These issues are addressed in the 10 Commandments, so if you want to avoid religious beliefs altogether, Good luck in your imaginary land of death and theft. It is amazing how concerned you are for one woman in Ireland but feel nothing for 54 Million aborted children in the U.S. from 1973-211. How many life saving abortions have you had? Or any of the poseurs on this blog? That's ironic, isn't it? o your homework. You have school tomorrow.

December 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • sortakinda

Need you be reminded Tom, Tom that the first one who resorts to name calling loses the argument. You lose. As usual.

December 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • niknak

Maybe there is some kind of 11th commandment that has to do with abortion, but I guess I must not have seen that one.
      And I seem to remember that in the babble, life is said to begin at first breath of the baby.
      Can you quote us anything from your stone age book of fairy tales that says abortion is outlawed, sortakinda?

December 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Akira

Oh, you darling little sortakinda, this bears repeating, because I feel you don't fully understand the diufference between your beliefs and the law:
      Religious beliefs do not belong in civil law.
      You DON’T get a say in whatever any other woman does with her body, no matter how personally repugnant you find it.
      If you don’t want a legal abortion, do not get one.

December 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Lisa

You're going to discount the woman in Ireland who died as a result of so-called pro-life advocates like yourself?

If you are so pro-life, why did her life not matter? Her fetus was already dying on it's own but due to the type of extremism that you advocate, they wanted to be 110% sure that it was dead on its own even if it killed the mother to wait for that confirmation. The woman and her husband begged for her life to be saved but they let her die.

December 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The reason you think you need to "remind" me, sorta stupid, is because you don't HAVE an argument. Your cause is kaput, sweetheart. The GOP lost. They won't even bother to mention abortion again. They only pull out that gun when there's an election, because waving that banana makes all you fundy monkeys scream.

How stupid are you?

December 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  2. Observer

EVERYONE is "pro-abortion" if things get bad enough.
    EVERYONE is "pro-life". It just depends if that life is the mother or fetus.

All the people opposing abortion are actually "pro-abortion" depending on the situation.

December 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  3. JC

I used to be a major pro-choicer
    The whole "your body your decision" kinda person.
    I just still feel everyone has a right to their own opinion, but that opinion needs to be based off of FULLY educating themselves on this topic. I was very niave as alot of commenters are here today stating that abortions only take place on a blob of cells. That is vey untrue. My opinion has changed but I still think others have a right to think what they may... But I cannot stand ignorant uneducated opinions on a topic that does deal with life and death being thrown about. Educate yourselves on what really happens to the fetus / baby at all stages of a possible abortion and then form an opinion. Some very brutal things happen... And opinions should not be made lightly. I don't believe either side of people involved in these situations realize that even the woman goes through major trauma after doing this... So please don't act like oh I'm pro-choice "hehe abortion is some easy thing" when you haven't done it. And pro lifers should act like the mother ran off afterwards and just kept going like nothing happened. I haven't had an abortion – but I have educated myself on all aspects of it to form my opinion- I hope everyone else does too. See what really happens to a 20 wk fetus / baby. Watch the YouTube – the silent scream. And if your opinion is one way or the other, atleast you'll know what your talking about.

December 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
    • Bet

Can you point to one single comment where a pro choice person said, "hehe abortion is some easy thing", or remotely like it, you arrogant POS?

December 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • JC

Actually earlier in the comments someone actually stated that they were laughing at pictures of aborted fetuses. Im not trying to be arrogant.. And please don't call me that...

December 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Observer

JC,

How about some honesty here? You show an abortion in the FIFTH MONTH. Most abortions are 2 to 3 months. Show a 2-inch fetus.

December 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

But, but, but... that wouldn't be effective for JC's objective! He'd have to tell the truth then!

December 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • sam

@JC – honestly. Congrats on taking that post out of context. Everyone was making fun of the idiot troll who was here earlier posting links to photos of aborted fetuses, and that's all that was about.

No one was laughing about aborted fetuses. It's funny you're not complaining that those links being posted.

Logic fail all around.

December 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Bet

I'm sure you're not trying to be arrogant, it just comes naturally to you. You as.sume that no pro choice person has any education on the subject, and you as.sume we have some lighthearted, cavalier att.itude towards it. You don't have any evidence that's true, but you believe it anyway.

You are a POS because you lie and twist peoples' words to suit your own purposes. I respect your right to your opinion on the subject, but don't expect me to respect a liar.

Also, if you had done such "extensive" research, you would have seen that The Silent Scream has been thoroughly debunked by an additional 28 years of medical research and by the medical community in general.

December 11, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Anyone who thinks "Silent Scream" is a valid argument agains abortion and then claims he/she is on the side of women is an outright liar.

December 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

JC is obviously ignorant on the score of the "trauma" he/she claims abortion causes women. A massive study done in the past couple of years found that women who had an abortion suffered no more mental distress or mental illnesses than women who continued the pregnancy to term. So much for THAT argument. Got anything else, you fraud?

December 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • It's Personal

I had an abortion ten years ago. I was in an abusive relationship and using birth control (shot, no room for non-compliance). From the very beginning I was suffering from hyperemesis (non-stop vomiting which required me to spend 18 days in the hospital). Although I had health insurance, I did not have disability insurance which would have helped cover my bills since I couldn't work.
      It wasn't traumatic or painful and did not leave any lasting effects. I was fine half an hour later. As far as the dangers, carrying a pregnancy to term and giving birth are significantly more dangerous.
      I have never regretted it. Today I am married and have a beautiful daughter that is the center of my world.
      Had I not had an abortion, I would have been tied to a man that beat me for at least 18yrs. I would have ended up on medicaid as companies do not have to continue paying insurance premiums while taking FMLA. I would have been homeless.
      I definitely support a woman's right to choose what is right for her. People should not judge one another as we can never truly know what they are going through.

December 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Simran

@ JC,
      Since you seem to have EDUCATED yourself on what happens to a baby at 20 wks, can you please tell me how often a woman undergoes an abortion that late in pregnancy and for what reasons??? Most terminations of pregnancy are done in 1st trimester (first 12 weeks) Mr Educated. Late 2nd triemster abortions are a health risk to a mother as well! Most second trimester abortions are offered onlly at the diagnosis of a serious congenital anomaly, which is not rectifiable with treatment and which will make the life of the newborn as well as the family a living hell!

December 12, 2012 at 12:09 am |
  4. mama k

Religious fanatics try at every turn to implement a theocracy in the U.S. This is no different. They couldn't be content with a bumper sticker. No, they want to use space on the state-issued plates to push their message. Disgusting. It's no different than trying to put the ten commandments on display in a government building. It's no different than in 1963 when the SCOTUS had to step in and rule mandated Bible reading in public schools unconstitutional.

James Madison, POTUS #4, and the chief architect of the U.S. Constitution & Bill of Rights:

During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution.

(A Memorial and Remonstrance . . to the Virginia General Assembly in 1785.)

John Adams, POTUS #2:

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced! With the rational respect that is due to it, knavish priests have added prostitutions of it, that fill or might fill the blackest and bloodiest pages of human history. "

(in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, 09/03/1816)

The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind.

(from A Defence of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America [1787-1788])

Ben Franklin:

Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of the sermons which had been preached at Boyle’s Lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them. For the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to be much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist.

(from his Autobiography)

Thomas Paine was very Deistic. He witness Quakers being hung in Massachusetts by other Christians:

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Thomas Jefferson had his own Deistic version of the Bible.

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.

(from Notes on the State of Virginia)

Of course Deism holds to the belief of God as the creator of the universe. But many Deists also believed that God did not interfere with the lives of his creation. And many Deists disbelieved in all of the "magic" in the Bible – some of them refuting the Bible and Christianity completely.

Jefferson, Washington, Adams, Paine, Mason & Madison all witnessed the violent persecution between Christian sects in their home states around the time the government was being established. So it is of no surprise that they needed a secular government and they knew the only way to enforce freedom of religion was to keep religion out of the government as much as possible.

Listen to James Madison speak about the need for the need to keep religion out of government (Jefferson wasn't the only one to explicitly speak of the separation of church and state):

Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

The Civil Govt, tho' bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability and performs its functions with complete success, Whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the Priesthood, & the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the Church from the State.

(from letters to Edward Livingston and Robert Walsh)

Madison as president vetoed two bills that he believed would violate the separation of church and state. He also came to oppose the long-established practice of employing chaplains at public expense in the House of Representatives and Senate on the grounds that it violated the separation of church and state and the principles of religious freedom. (Library of Congress – James Madison Papers – Detached memorandum, ca. 1823.)

President John Adams and the U.S. Senate on behalf of the U.S.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;

(from Article 11 of the U.S. treaty ratified with Tripoli in 1797)

Senator John F Kennedy said on Sept. 12, 1960, just prior to his winning the Presidential election:

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.

December 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  5. kindness

This is my experience... Thank you.

MY personal testimony.
    A thought to consider without an ego response

I Accepted Jesus christ as my lord and saviour. You never know how soon is too late. Transcend the worldly illusion of enslavement.
    The world denounces truth....

Accepting Jesus Christ (for me) resulted in something like seeng a new colour. You will see it .....but will not be able to clearly explain it to anyone else..... Its meant to be that way to transend any selfism within you.

Also... much the world arranges "surrounding dark matter into something to be debated" in such a way that protects/inflates the ego.

The key is be present and transcend our own desire to physically see evidence. We don't know anyways by defending our own perception of dark matter.

Currently.... most of us are constructing our own path that suits our sin lifestyle. Were all sinners. Knowing that we are is often an issue. But both christians and non are sinners. Even once we are saved by christs merciful grace we will still experience adversity to mold us to adhering to the truth.
    We will slip... But not fall of the ship ...carrying us onward to perfection in christs grace.

We don't like to Let go and let god. We want control to some degree. This is what Jesus asks us to do. "Follow me".
    It's the hardest thing to do... but is done by letting the truth of scripture lead you (redemptive revelation)... as I said .

Try reading corinthians and see if it makes sense to you. Try it without a pre conceived notion of it being a fairy tale.
    See the truth...
    do we do what it says in todays society... is it relevant... so many have not recently read and only hinge their philosophy on what they have heard from some other person...which may have been full of arogance pride or vanity..

Look closely at the economy ponzi, look at how society idolizes Lust , greed , envy, sloth, pride of life, desire for knowledge, desire for power, desire for revencge,gluttony with food etc .

Trancsend the temporal world.

Just think if you can find any truth you can take with you ....in any of these things. When you die your riches go to someone who will spend away your life..... You will be forgotten.... history will repeat iteslf.... the greatest minds knowledge fade or are eventually plagerzed..... your good deeds will be forgotten and only give you a fleeting temporary reward . your learned teachings are forgotten or mutated..... your gold is transfered back to the rullers that rule you through deception. Your grave will grow over . This is truth .

Trancsend your egoism and free yourself from this dominion of satan. Understand you are a sinner and part of the collective problem of this worldly matrix... Repent.... Repent means knowing (to change) The Holy spirit (within) will convict you beyond what you think you can do by yourself. Grace is given to those who renounce the world. That are" in" the world but not "of " the world.

Evidence follows faith. Faith does not follow evidence..... Faith ....above reason in Jesus Christ.

Faith comes by Reading or Hearing the word of god from the bible . Ask Jesus in faith for dicernment and start reading the new testament... You will be shocked when you lay down your preconceived notions and ....see and hear truth ... see how christ sets an example ... feel the truth....

Read Ecclesiastes. Read romans or corinthians.

You cant trancend your own egoism by adapting a world philosophy to suit your needs. Seek the truth in Christ.

Sell all your cleverness and purchase true bewilderment. You don't get what you want ....you get what you are by faith above reason in christ.

I promise this has been the truth for me. In Jesus christ .

Think of what you really have to lose. ...your ego?

Break the Matrix of illusion that holds your senses captive.

once you do . you too will have the wisdom of God that comes only through the Holy Spirit. Saved By grace through Faith. Just like seeing a new colour.... can't explain it to a transient caught in the matrix of worldly deception.
    You will also see how the world suppresses this information and distorts it

You're all smart people . I tell the truth. Its hard to think out of the box when earthly thinking is the box.
    I'ts a personal free experience you can do it free anytime . Don't wait till you are about to die.. START PUTTING YOUR TREASURES WHERE THEY REALLY MATTER >
    Its awsome and It's just between you and Jesus

my testimony

Romans 10:9

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved
    Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith’s door,
    And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
    The, looking in, I saw upon the floor
    Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.
    “How many anvils have you had,” said I,
    “To wear and batter all these hammers so?”
    “Just one,” said he, and then with twinkling eye,
    “The anvil wears the hammers out, you know.”
    And so, thought I, the anvil of God’s Word,
    For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
    Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
    The anvil is unharmed – the hammers gone.

Truth is..exclusive

December 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
  6. hey, look! Robert Brown/Atheist Hunter/chad/just sayin/pervert alert/herbert juarez/ etc etc etc etc is failing at trolling again!

fail fail fail its all he can do!

December 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  7. Evangelical

Whatever it takes to keep people from sin, that we must do.

December 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • sam

I vote we start with you!

December 11, 2012 at 5:56 pm |
    • Guy

You sound like Jimmy Swaggert's third wife or seventh accountant.

December 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Mike

If we're following the judges ruling than NC needs to make the following adjustments to it's other custom plates:
      Rescue Squad–Jeopardy Squad
      Retired Air Force–I never Served In the Air Force
      Retired Army–I never serverd in the Army
      Retired Coast Guard–I never served in the Coast Guard
      Retired Marine–I never served in the Marines
      Retired National Guard–I never served in the National Guard
      Retired Navy–I never served in the Navy
      Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation–Elk are delicious.
      Rotarry International Club–Push button international Club
      Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation–Destroy the Blue Ridge Parkway
      Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation Motorcycle–Destroy the Blue Ridge Parkway on a Motorcycle
      Breast Cancer Awareness-Breast Cancer Ignorance
      Olympic Spirit–The Olympics Stink
      SCUBA-Skydive
      Shag Dancing–Berber Dancing
      Share the Road-Hog the Road
      Sons of Confederate Veterans–Daughters of Union Veterans
      Square Dance Club-Circular Dance Club
      The V Foundation–Need foundations for all other letters of the alphabet
      Tobacco Heritage–Lung Cancer Heritage
      US Navy Submarine Veteran–I never served in a Navy Sub
      Veterans of Foreign Wars–I never served in a foreign War
      Watermelon–This is against the first amendment unless all other fruits have plates. Look for more lawsuits soon.

December 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Bet

@ Mike

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by reading the article first.

December 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • sam

Reading's hard, huh?

December 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • Mohammad A Dar

it's none of your business, Evangelic goon

December 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
    • End Religion

Wow, page 30 and it is still an endless festival of Retardlicans with the same argument revealing they either didn't read the article or didn't understand it. Retardlicans, are you really worried about our country? Please fight for more money to be spent on education - you really need it.

December 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  8. Daniel

I didn't read the article. Like half of these people, I am commenting for no reason. Bhahahaha!

December 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  9. LonglivePalestine

There is no such thing as pro-life, just anti-freedom. America was founded as a secular nation, and it must remain so if it is to remain a free country.
    /-FREE PALESTINE-\

December 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • The Life of 3.14

Palestine was freed...from the Ottomans a long time ago. Where have you been?

December 11, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  10. Atheist Hunter

Look at what you support! Hope you dream about it all night!

December 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I think I'm going to go out tonight and pay for someone's abortion, and I'll do it in your honor. It's important to me that you know this, because at this moment, there's nothing that tickles my fancy more than the idea of you raging endlessly as I pony up the cash for someone to do something they probably couldn't afford to do otherwise.

December 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Bet

@SeanNJ

I just made a contribution to Planned Parenthood in AH's name.

December 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • sam

I'm still tallying up my donation – $1 for every one of AH's meaningless posts.

December 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • farmerdonna

I think that AH will be a young, pregnant, and scared young woman with no support and no where to go in his next life. There are a lot of people out there that shouldn't have kids–they torture them, sell them, put them in dumpsters and trashcans. If they just had the brains to get an ABORTION before these poor souls entered the world. AH, if you're against abortion then don't get one.

December 11, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
  11. lionlylamb

“In God all things are made. Of God are all things made to be manifested in God. By God are all manifested things made of God to ever be in God a manifestation for God's pleasure. For God are all things made manifested in God to ever be done by the graces of God's will to be had in and of and by and ever to be for Godliness intentions.”

“S e x is not only a physical embolism but is also an emotionalized pleasantry. In either stance one should yes consider before the "deed done" is made. Does a couple who embraces each other in the physical throngs of emotionalized pleasing do so without any planning involved? Are we all just wanting the pleasures of s e x to be had without planning for a child's birthing? If so, then aren't we found guilty of wanton s e x u a l pleasures despite said pleasures potential outcome?”

“So then, you believe in wanton s e x u a l pleasures without the foreseeable consequences? Someone's standing upon r a p e & I n c e s t principles or a mother's potential healthiness due a child possibly being conceived is noteworthy. Should the governing bodies allow all s e x u a l activities no matter what? Is the shame for having s e x outside wedlock for pleasure's sake something to be overlooked and judgmentally weighed out-of-bounds due that everyone needs a little 'action'?

December 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Akira

"Apple couldn't translate this one."

December 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Athy

Heck, it made perfect nonsense to me!

December 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
  12. Mohammad A Dar

Abortions were there even during time of Jesus, or Bible was being written, they used to kill baby with mother, due to lack of technology, they called HONOR KILLING.

December 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Honor killing is murder!

December 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  13. Atheist Hunter

There should be a "Pro Choice" tag with one of the attached photos on it. Be proud!

December 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • Catori

And the "choose life" plate can carry Savita Halappanavar's picture on it. Of course, the real LIE about this Choose Life plate, is that it's supporters don't WANT it to be a choice.

December 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

no it if said pro choice it would be fine, but you are trying to take pro-lifers voice away. UNAMERICAN!

December 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Kay

I choose to value the life of the living, breathing mother. Women are not just breeding stock.

December 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

kay....don't want baby...don't have se x... simple

December 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • Bet

You're really working yourself into a lather there, A** H***.

December 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • cedar rapids

'Atheist Hunter

no it if said pro choice it would be fine, but you are trying to take pro-lifers voice away. UNAMERICAN'

actually the lawmakers did that when they voted down the pro-choice plate option.

December 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  14. Guest

Since 1972, about 26million women in the US have had their lives and their RIGHT TO CHOOSE to live taken away from them, the vast majority because they were considered inconvenient to society and because they could not speak for themselves.

December 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • Bet

You can't take away the rights of something that doesn't exist.

December 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
  15. lol??

A woman can live without a uterus. The child can't. It is his abode. Stop the bullyin'..

December 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Kay

It is a POTENTIAL child inside a living, breathing woman. Considering that 1 in 3 potential children die as a result of natural miscarriage, it seems to suggest that even God doesn't want *all* potential children born.

December 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • Atheist Hunter

Kay.........that's why he is the giver and take of life. you're not God

December 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Huebert

AH

Prove I'm not God.

December 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Bet

@AH

Even your book of horror and fantasy says that Adam wasn't alive until god breathed life into him. So according to your god, life begins with the first breath outside the womb.

Of course, your god also slaughters millions of babies and children whenever he gets ticked.

December 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  16. Reality

The license plates in all states should read:

"STOP THE BRUTAL EFFECTS OF STUPIDITY"–

Added details:

from the Guttmacher Insti-tute:

"• Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use."

December 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  17. Nietodarwin

“The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence, whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence.”
    _ William Harwood, Dictionary of Contemporary Mythology

I’m an atheist, and a militant atheist when religion starts impacting on legislation.”
    _ Daniel Radcliffe

December 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
    • Jeff

Are we playing the quote game? Cool!

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both." - Carl Sagan

"Science is...a powerful way, indeed – to study the natural world. Science is not particularly effective...in making commentary about the supernatural world. Both worlds, for me, are quite real and quite important. They are investigated in different ways. They coexist. They illuminate each other." - Francis Collins

"From religion comes a man's purpose; from science, his power to achieve it. Sometimes people ask if religion and science are not opposed to one another. They are: in the sense that the thumb and fingers of my hands are opposed to one another. It is an opposition by means of which anything can be grasped." - William H. Bragg

"I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science." - Wernher Von Braun

"Science can have a purifying effect on religion, freeing it from beliefs of a pre-scientific age and helping us to a truer conception of God. At the same time, I am far from believing that science will ever give us the answers to all our questions." - Nevill Mott

"A commonsense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question." - Fred Hoyle

December 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • VanHagar

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”
      Inigo Montoya

“ There was this mollusk, and he walks up to this sea cucu.mber. Normally, they don't talk, sea cucu.mbers, but in a joke everyone talks. So the sea mollusk says to the cucu.mber...”
      Marlin

“My grandfather's work was doodoo! I am not interested in death! The only thing that concerns me is the preservation of life!”
      Dr. Frederick Frankenstein

December 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm |
    • NJStylee

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,
      Commander of the Armies of the North,
      General of the Felix Legions,
      loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius,
      father to a murdered son,
      husband to a murdered wife,
      and I will have my vengeance - in this life or the next." – Maximus Decimus Meridius

"No Luke, I am your father"! – Darth Vader
      "That's not true! Thats IMPOSSIBLE!" – Luke Skywalker

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!" – William Wallace

"NO Mr. Bond, I expect you to DIE!" – Goldfinger

"How do I tell them that due to the unfreezing process, I have no inner monologue?" – Austin Powers

December 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Bet

Legalize it. Don't criticize it. -Peter Tosh

December 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • sam stone

"i ain't hurtin' nobody, i ain't hurtin' no one" – john prine

December 12, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"All I know is that I don't know nothin' and that's fine."
      – "Lint" Armstrong

December 12, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  18. Nietodarwin

If Atheism is a religion, then health is a disease!
    Clark Adams

Religion. It`s given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.
    Charlie Chaplin

It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
    Mark Twain

December 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  19. Nietodarwin

“Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing "Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept.”
    _ Dan Barker, Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists

“If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion.”
    _ Edmond De Goncourt

December 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  20. Nietodarwin

“Shake off all fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”
    _ Thomas Jefferson
    “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”
    _ Stephen Hawking