home
RSS
My Take: Six things I don't want to hear after the Sandy Hook massacre
Ex-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee appeared to blame the Newtown massacre at least partly on the secularization of schools.
December 18th, 2012

My Take: Six things I don't want to hear after the Sandy Hook massacre

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

(CNN) – There are a lot of things I am sick of hearing after massacres such as the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Here are six of them:

1. “It was God’s will.”

There may or may not be a God, but if there is, I sure hope he (or she or it) does not go around raising up killers, plying them with semiautomatic weapons, goading them to target practice, encouraging them to plot mass killings and cheering them on as they shoot multiple bullets into screaming 6- and 7-year-old children. Much better to say there is no God or, as Abraham Lincoln did, “The Almighty has his own purposes,” than to flatter ourselves with knowing what those purposes are.

2. “Jesus called the children home.”

I don’t want to hear that Jesus needed 20 more kids in heaven on Friday that Madeleine Hsu (age 6) or Daniel Barden (age 7) were slain because Jesus couldn't wait to see them join his heavenly choir. Even the most fervent Christians I know want to live out their lives on Earth before going “home” to “glory.” The Hebrew Bible patriarchs rightly wanted long lives. Moses lived to be 120. Abraham was 175 when he died. Madeleine and Daniel deserved more than 6 or 7 years.

3. “After death, there is the resurrection.”

In the Jewish tradition, it is offensive to bring up the afterlife while in the presence of death. Death is tragic, and deaths such as these are unspeakably so. So now is the time for grief, not for pat answers to piercing questions. “There is a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,” says the biblical book of Ecclesiastes, and now is not a time for laughing or dancing or talk of children raised from the dead.

4. “This was God’s judgment.”

After every hurricane or earthquake, someone steps up to a mic to say that “this was God’s judgment” on New Orleans for being too gay or the United States for being too secular. I’m not sure what judgment of God would provoke the killing of 27 innocent women and children, but I certainly don’t want to entertain any theorizing on the question right now. Let’s leave God’s judgment out of this one, OK? Especially if we want to continue to believe God's judgments are "true and righteous altogether" (Psalms 19:9).

5. “This happened because America is too secular.”

Unlike those of us who are shaking their heads trying to figure out what transpired in Newtown, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, an evangelical icon, apparently has it all figured out. We don’t need fewer guns in the hands of killers, he said Friday on Fox News, we need more God in our public schools.

“Should we be so surprised that schools have become such a place of carnage? Because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability,” Huckabee said in an astonishing flight of theological and sociological fancy.

Just keep plying people like the killer with Glocks and Sig Sauers. As long as we force Jewish and Buddhist Americans to say Christian prayers, then the violence will magically go away. The logic here is convoluted to the point of absent, leaving me wondering whether what passes for "leadership" in America can sink any lower.

6. “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”

If ever there has been a more idiotic political slogan, I have yet to hear it. The logical fallacy here is imagining that people are killed either by people or by guns. Come again? Obviously, guns do not kill people on their own. But people do not shoot bullets into people without guns. At Sandy Hook and Aurora and Columbine, people with guns killed people. This is a fact. To pretend it away with slogans is illogical and revolting.

The question now is: Are those of us who have not yet been killed by guns going to allow these massacres to continue unimpeded? Are Americans that callous? Is life here so cheap? I have read the Second Amendment, and I find no mention there of any right to possess any gun more advanced than an 18th-century musket? Do I really have the right to bear a nuclear weapon? Or a rocket-propelled grenade? Then why in God’s name would any U.S. civilian have the right (or the need) to bear a .223-caliber assault rifle made by Bushmaster?

If you believe in a God who is all powerful and all good, then covering up for the Almighty at a time like this is in my view deeply unfaithful. Today is a day to shake your fist at heaven and demand answers, and then to shake it harder when no answers are forthcoming. To do anything else is in my view to diminish the idea of God, and to cheapen faith in the process.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Crime • God • Mike Huckabee • United States • Violence

soundoff (5,447 Responses)
  1. The Truth

(Romans 1:20) . . .For his invisible [qualities] are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable;
    (Hebrews 3:4) . . .Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but he that constructed all things is God.

December 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  2. elperrazo

I am not a believer in any "god", christian or otherwise. I believe in humans, for good or for bad, and morality can be reduced to what is in our self-interest. The weapons of choice for such killings are not commonly used for hunting. Even in hunting you don't need a magazine with more than 3 or 4 shells (some would argue 2). A semi-automatic is not needed, even for bird hunting. As an attorney, I am unaware of anything in the Second Amendment that would prevent the government from restricting the types of weapons being sold or the number of shells a magazine can hold. The benefit to society is obvious and that the "moral" lesson.

December 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  3. Beannemarie

So should we an airplanes cause terrorists used airplanes to murder 3000 Americans......Stephen you are so blinded by your emotions that you are deaf- dumb and blind.

December 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • Beannemarie

That's ban.....

December 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • QS

False equivalencies are fun, but illogical.

December 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  4. Phoebe

I also do not want to hear expressed the false equivalency of equating the violent murder of 6 or 7 years olds with legalized abortion.

December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • Beannemarie

Well since you brought it up murder is murder wether you do it in an OR or in a classroom.....wether you do it with a Gun or you do it with a knife or suction machine or a chemical that burns.or an airplane or a bomb....it is all the taking of a life and it is not the instrument that does it it s the murderer......

December 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  5. Jim

I have not read a more through viewpoint on guns and religion until this one. No kidding. I agree with every point made and hope that other share the same views as the author. Job well done.

December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  6. Hugh Mann

Fundi's can, hypocritically, say that "It Is God's Will" when the Republicans win but it's not God's Will when the Democrats do....Similarly God gives life to EVERYONE, but He only kills the ones that Fundi's don't like...Satan kills all of the others...a very convenient point of view for the most part.

December 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  7. mcam

Oh so if you don't want to hear it then nobody can talk about it then? And then you call christians and religions intolerant, it's his freedom of speech and he can say whatever he wants. I don't want to hear or read a lot of stuff, and i'm not going to stop people commenting on what they think. I don't want to hear a lot of the things you said in here, but still I respect it and I don't trash you for saying so.

December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Hugh Mann

that's real white of you

December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  8. Anon

It's simple Christians are delusion and live in la la land.

December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • JOSH

I AM SORRY YOU THINK THAT WAY. I AM ALSO SORRY WHAT LAND YOU WILL BE LIVING IN WHEN YOU PASS ON.

December 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • Anon

Nah I'll be non-existent just as you after death.

December 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Hey! You!

Josh! Yeah, You! Your cap locks are on.

December 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  9. The Truth

(Revelation 21:3, 4) 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • mama k

Revelation?? Everyone knows that John the Dopehead must have crashed his camel into a burning poppy field or worse to come up with that mess.

December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
  10. felix1877

By definition -of God-, whatever happens, it's been created by God. From current science, whatever happens, it's undeniable obligation of its own causality chain-no free will-. So we're some kind of object of some higher abstract powers-laws of nature, God-. It hurts to be any kind of object of anything, but we can not prevent even these kind of massacres of our own babies by our own sons by these manners. It needs a great deals of wisdom to accept life as it is. So during all humanity history we created too too many philosophies to accept life, not to deny life.

December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
  11. lionlylamb

To the weary of hearts,

God exists and on this thought I am certain. My long drawn out imagination tells me so. I will not let the unimaginable atheists harden my mind's imaginable essences to dare dream of places unknown and yet to become! Atheism seems duty bound to shun everyone's imaginative desires and severely lay wasted all those who dare to dream!

December 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • I Am God

Dare to dream? There is a difference between dreaming in an imaginary figure and the future of the human race. As an Atheist, I dream of a future where we don't have bigots like yourself running around.

December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Absolutely the funniest thing said today!

@LyinglyLame "God exists, my imagination tells me so!"

December 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • QS

"Imagine there's no heaven....it's easy if you try!"

"Nothing to kill or die for...and no religion too."

It's actually better for the imagination to be an Atheist.

December 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • Almighty Reason

So I am right! The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy really do exist! Thank you Lamb!

December 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm |
    • lionlylamb

IAG

Your a slum lord of essence in ungodly wordage uses meant to dehumanize any and all who dare believe in a world where God exists and all our deceased loved ones do abound! Your dreaminess desires to lay waste something you dare deny thru verbalized insults tells me you are an insolent child of bitterness sakes!

December 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • New York Born - Living in the South

No, you are not sure. Just as I am not "sure" a god doesn't exist. I chose to not believe in one because after reading the Bible (yes I grew up in a very religious family) I personally decided it held no value for me. But that doesn't prove a god doesn't exist. Just as you or anyone else cannot prove one does....PERIOD. As far as Atheists having no desire, dreams or imagination.....really? I am about the most creative person I know. As a matter of fact just 2 short years ago I totally "recreated" myself and my career after it was outsourced. Hard work, lots of imagination and desire and one big fat dream. Today, 2 years later I am making almost double my old salary, love my job, am "creative" every minute of the day and I am my own boss. So please stop going around thinking you know it all because from the sound of it there's very little you do know.

December 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • I Am God

Lionlamb you shouldn't be talking because you are doing the same thing to Atheists and all others that don't believe in your God.

December 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Teach your children well their father's hell and maybe the runts of mankind's litters will find their end games means!

December 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Almighty Reason

Is that from Lord of the Rings?

December 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • lionlylamb

New York Born,

Please read this somewhat winded post and then maybe we can both see each other's sightedness ways,

The Universally-Formed Multiple Cosmos of the Living Triune Cosmological Manifestation of Being

We all live amid two chasms of cosmological orders. We have the inner-cosmos and the outer-cosmos. The inner-cosmos is atomically made and is the universal construct of the outer-cosmos. One could not have an outer cosmos without there being an inner cosmos. Both are synonymously of the same natures. It stands to reason the inner-cosmos was made first and the outer-cosmos came into being only after the passive finalization of the inner-cosmos was made near complete. The inner-cosmos is transcendent and fixed while the outer-cosmos is ascendant and malleable in their dualities natures.

The third cosmos is of life itself made from the inner-cosmos living upon the terrestrial planetary faces of the celestial outer-cosmos. This third cosmos is the celled cosmos or the cellular cosmologic orders duly ordained of and by and even for all life forms to be made anywhere cellular life can gain a foothold to evolve and gain in the abundant natures toward the evolution of its structures ever evolving in base pairings. Without the two main Cosmos coming into existence; living cellular cosmologies could not ever exist.

The trinity or threefold nature of chasm cosmologies is being one of the greatest and grandest gestures ever to have been formulated! To say God had nothing to do with such a feat of cosmologic inter-dependencies seems an infallible congruency inconsistent for one to say or think otherwise. To say the nature of God is to keep inflating the physical elements of the outer cosmos while deflating the essence needs for the inner-cosmos leaves one to wonder about the third cosmological construct’s real nature for having been created. Why then is there cellular cosmos of living cosmologies and when did such life become established?

The history of multifaceted cosmological expansionism within celestial symmetries comes from the terrestrial complacencies of planetary regularities and solarized objectivism wherever the abundance of inner cosmologies coalesces to form stars, planets and moons among many other fragmented structures within the spatial confines of a universally formed Cosmos.

Life, upon the celestial shorelines of the terrestrially compliant are as a biologic ‘cellularistic’ cosmological constant, and were ever formed and are continually forming seemingly unto forever as well placed living conglomerations in naturalisms arcades of wondrous cavalcades marching in steps of melancholy tributes to God upon the most high cosmos of universally formidable formations on the highest of unimaginable grounds!

December 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • Beannemarie

Don't throw your pearls before the swine for they will trample them underfoot......many are called but few are chosen.God bless you lionlylamb and keep te faith.

December 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
    • Almighty Reason

Your lambchops ar falling on deaf ears. That is all a waste of time.

December 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • Almighty Reason

god fu%$%@# dammit!

December 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Almighty Reason

Lamby, I can picture you being the next one that goes berserk and starts killing people.

December 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • lionlylamb

Almighty Reason,

Your kindhearted words of lavish meanings are well received.

December 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  12. desa2660

yeah the whole "GOD'S WILL" nonsense really got to me. I'm sure if a God existed, he would not want 6-7 year old childeren murdered in cold blood. C'mon people -_-

December 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • lionlylamb

desa2660,

Have you not read that this world is not God's kingdom domains? It is a truth stated in the Gospels!

December 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  13. I Am God

Nobody should use "Because God isn't in schools" excuse any more. That is like saying this wouldn't have happened if God was there. Well that is wrong. Look at our history or any others countries history and you will see individuals attacking schools that taught God.

December 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Bible Bob, Knight of Infallibillibabbity

It's no fun if we don't get to blame the atheists!

December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • jerrymcm1970

What Huckabee was trying to argue was that when we take God out of public schools we stop teaching morality effectively, and that is what leads to the lack of conscience, or understanding right from wrong in people like Adam Lanza.

Unfortunately for Mr. Huckabee, that argument is rather undermined by the fact that Lanza was home schooled.

December 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  14. And now, the Belief Blog Christians respond to Stephen Prothero

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdDN_MRe64&w=640&h=390]

December 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  15. Contrary Mary

We seem to glorify violence in movies, television and music, it's no wonder young impressionable and disturbed teens and adults
    are acting out in this way. So sad!

December 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
  16. Craig

A men brother,you said all I have been thinking in this article.

December 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  17. remy730

But, george zimmerman says it was gods will, and everybody seems to agree. Personally, I'll defend myself against a maniac and his god till I'm the last one left standing.

December 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  18. Stina O

I believe in God. I look around and I know earth and its living beings didnt just pop out of thin air without order from a higher source. God didnt intend for this world to be evil. We have always had free will to make our own choices. Even in a perfect heaven, Eve had the choice to eat of the forbidden fruit or not. What credit could a God give himself in knowing all that obey and follow him is because he controls them. We have free will and freedom to choose our own path. To worship God, follow the devil or not to believe at all. The Ct shooting was NOT an act of God, Nor was it in Gods will, Nor was it the childrens time to go. The devil used Adam Lanza. The same way God uses people ina positive way. Yes God could have easily stopped it. Then all the non believers would believe there is a GOD after all. But he is a fair God, and he will let us all continue to choose and have our own beliefs until his second coming. Our simple minds cant and will never be able to understand why what or how. Its not our Job to understand. God only cares about your heart and that you choose to believe in him even when you dont have all the answers.
    The children who were brutally murder are resting in God. Their flesh will go back into earth but the childrens souls are breaths of God and have gone back to their maker until his second coming and everyone will be judged accordingly. On that day God will show his infinite mercy and power. He will put an end to all evil. I choose to live a life for christ, to believe in Christ not to EARN my way to heaven but because I know he is the reason I am here and I owe it to him to believe in him even when things dont go my way or when the world is destroying itself. I rather believe and find out HE isnt real, then to not believe and find out HE exist and its too late.

December 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • Buddha 2112

We are our own GOD.

December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Craig

Sounds like your god has Down's syndrome.

December 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Anon

Apparently downs syndrome is a requirement to be a christian.

December 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Harald

Boy, what a nonsense. Clear case of long term brain washing.

December 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • Buddha 2112

Friday's coming...122112

December 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
    • Too bad

For thousands of years humans have been asserting nonsense, just as this. There is not a shred of evidence for any souls or gods. You made it all up. You need to explain and comfort yourself. It's about your childish Psychology, not anything else. There is as much evidence for Pink Unicorns. You NEED to explain a world you see around you. In light of the fact that you have very little science knowledge, you make up gods. Just as all your millions of ancestors. You are in good company. The deluded.

December 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Jim

Another ignorant post. For you to take the high road, to assume that you have to believe in God so that if you're right you win, is a stupid and irrational viewpoint. Christianity doesn't teach you to believe with fingers crossed behind your back. Did we come out of of "thin air" as you describe? Of course not...we evolved just like every natural behind evolved on this planet. To put a human perspective with a goofy story is silly. Do yourself a favor, see things as they are, not as you were taught when your brain was soft enough as a child to believe anything. Remember, when you do see God for the first time upon death, ask Him/Her/It who they are...are they Allah, God, Jesus, Moses, Zeus, Darth Vader, etc....in the end, people put stories on things they can't understand. I get it....why can't you?

December 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm |
    • Sam B.

I agree with this statement/point of understanding. God and his son Jesus are weeping and mourning along with us!

December 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Stina O

For all you non believers, what do you believe in? what is you explanation for what our purpose is? I dont know what its like to not believe in God, so I am asking an honest question, what does your science explain about everything happening or that has happened?

on another note there is no need to reference Down syndrome on this post for seeing as though it is disrespectful. I wasnt being rude to anyones beliefs, I am simply stating mine as you are as well.

December 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • Buddha 2112

Just kidding...122112 is actually International Rush Day!!!

December 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • dessertdog

Show me church goer and I'll show you a hypocrite but all is forgiven next Sunday .

December 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
    • Stina O

You can choose to believe we all evovled. I dont believe that. Why havent we evovled into another species? or this is our final evolution stage? Just because we resemble monkeys and a scientist and or a man tells me I came from a monkey does that makje it true? I choose to believe what I believe not because it is comforting or because I am brain washed. I believe because I see God because He is the truth. I am Christian but I dont have all the answers, I dont have scientific evidence and or stats. If man alone was powerful enough to create, evovle and exist, then man alone could fix this world and why hasnt it?

December 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Voxx

God give us a will to believe in something.. You cannot believe in nothing it is hopeless.. Some BELIEVE their is no God that is what some believe.. God made us that way to believe.. You CANNOT believe in nothing because God MADE you that way... So believe what you WILL..

December 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • Stina O

DessertDog- So are you not a hypocrite because you dont go to church? Hypocrites come in all forms shapes and sizes. Just because I go to church, on Saturdays by the way, doesnt make me perfect and or higher than anyone. I am no more of a hypocrite than the man sitting next me.

December 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Anon

Oh for crying out loud evolution doesn't work that way.
      It basically takes aeons to notice any change between species.
      Please read a proper college grade biology book.

December 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • dessertdog

You didn't come from a monkey but you are related to one. The same way a moose is related to an elk or a mule deer to a white tail.

December 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • dessertdog

I believe in God but decided a long time ago I would do my reflecting in the peace of nature.

December 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Stina O

I dont care how evolution works. Evolution is not something I believe in regardless of what my college biology book may say. Thanks anyways.

December 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  19. Angie

I can not stand it when people say these things. Thank you

December 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Davish

Excellent Article. Semi-automatic assault rifles have no place in civilized society.

December 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • dessertdog

agreed! I love to hunt but do just fine with a bolt action rifle. Of all my years hunting I,ve never seen anyone use these "assault rifles". The only time I've seen them used is by kids shooting at frisbees. That being said firearms of all kind need to be respected and kept out of the hands of those that will do harm to others.

December 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm |