home
RSS
My Take: Six things I don't want to hear after the Sandy Hook massacre
Ex-Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee appeared to blame the Newtown massacre at least partly on the secularization of schools.
December 18th, 2012

My Take: Six things I don't want to hear after the Sandy Hook massacre

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

(CNN) – There are a lot of things I am sick of hearing after massacres such as the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Here are six of them:

1. “It was God’s will.”

There may or may not be a God, but if there is, I sure hope he (or she or it) does not go around raising up killers, plying them with semiautomatic weapons, goading them to target practice, encouraging them to plot mass killings and cheering them on as they shoot multiple bullets into screaming 6- and 7-year-old children. Much better to say there is no God or, as Abraham Lincoln did, “The Almighty has his own purposes,” than to flatter ourselves with knowing what those purposes are.

2. “Jesus called the children home.”

I don’t want to hear that Jesus needed 20 more kids in heaven on Friday that Madeleine Hsu (age 6) or Daniel Barden (age 7) were slain because Jesus couldn't wait to see them join his heavenly choir. Even the most fervent Christians I know want to live out their lives on Earth before going “home” to “glory.” The Hebrew Bible patriarchs rightly wanted long lives. Moses lived to be 120. Abraham was 175 when he died. Madeleine and Daniel deserved more than 6 or 7 years.

3. “After death, there is the resurrection.”

In the Jewish tradition, it is offensive to bring up the afterlife while in the presence of death. Death is tragic, and deaths such as these are unspeakably so. So now is the time for grief, not for pat answers to piercing questions. “There is a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,” says the biblical book of Ecclesiastes, and now is not a time for laughing or dancing or talk of children raised from the dead.

4. “This was God’s judgment.”

After every hurricane or earthquake, someone steps up to a mic to say that “this was God’s judgment” on New Orleans for being too gay or the United States for being too secular. I’m not sure what judgment of God would provoke the killing of 27 innocent women and children, but I certainly don’t want to entertain any theorizing on the question right now. Let’s leave God’s judgment out of this one, OK? Especially if we want to continue to believe God's judgments are "true and righteous altogether" (Psalms 19:9).

5. “This happened because America is too secular.”

Unlike those of us who are shaking their heads trying to figure out what transpired in Newtown, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, an evangelical icon, apparently has it all figured out. We don’t need fewer guns in the hands of killers, he said Friday on Fox News, we need more God in our public schools.

“Should we be so surprised that schools have become such a place of carnage? Because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability,” Huckabee said in an astonishing flight of theological and sociological fancy.

Just keep plying people like the killer with Glocks and Sig Sauers. As long as we force Jewish and Buddhist Americans to say Christian prayers, then the violence will magically go away. The logic here is convoluted to the point of absent, leaving me wondering whether what passes for "leadership" in America can sink any lower.

6. “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”

If ever there has been a more idiotic political slogan, I have yet to hear it. The logical fallacy here is imagining that people are killed either by people or by guns. Come again? Obviously, guns do not kill people on their own. But people do not shoot bullets into people without guns. At Sandy Hook and Aurora and Columbine, people with guns killed people. This is a fact. To pretend it away with slogans is illogical and revolting.

The question now is: Are those of us who have not yet been killed by guns going to allow these massacres to continue unimpeded? Are Americans that callous? Is life here so cheap? I have read the Second Amendment, and I find no mention there of any right to possess any gun more advanced than an 18th-century musket? Do I really have the right to bear a nuclear weapon? Or a rocket-propelled grenade? Then why in God’s name would any U.S. civilian have the right (or the need) to bear a .223-caliber assault rifle made by Bushmaster?

If you believe in a God who is all powerful and all good, then covering up for the Almighty at a time like this is in my view deeply unfaithful. Today is a day to shake your fist at heaven and demand answers, and then to shake it harder when no answers are forthcoming. To do anything else is in my view to diminish the idea of God, and to cheapen faith in the process.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Crime • God • Mike Huckabee • United States • Violence

soundoff (5,447 Responses)
  1. Jon

I can't imagine why CNN would have someone who is not a Christian as the statesman for this venue. He portrays himself as somewhat of a believer but uses this as a platform to promote a liberal view and agenda. As a Christian, I am reassured that if my young child died that they were with Jesus. Only a nonbeliever would not find comfort in such a statement. As far as Huckabee.......his point was our world is going down the tube because of our morality which started when we decided we didn't want the influence of God in the pubic sector. This guy knows this but uses is for his liberal agenda and Christian bashing while twisting the intent implying that Huckabee is saying that this happened because it was God's "judgement" or "will." Shame on you Stephen Prothero.....why don't you admit your true beliefs and stop hiding behind the mask of being a believer.

December 19, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • Lou

There you go wagging that finger again. I can't hear you talking with that finger going up and down.

December 19, 2012 at 1:09 am |
  2. Zac

" Obviously, guns do not kill people on their own. But people do not shoot bullets into people without guns."

There is a big difference between the person and the gun. The person is the only one out of the 2 that has the power of choice. So the responsibility lays with them. It is more accurate to say a person killed someone utilizing a gun than to say a gun killed a someone by a person who utilized it. Yes, it takes both. But only one made the decision.

December 19, 2012 at 1:05 am |
  3. Jonathan

Clearly, You understand not the Sovereignty of God. You call yourself a Religious Scholar? Maybe you need to freshen up on your Biblical literacy. Typical liberal, idiotic nonsense, spewing forth like a fountain of defecating rubbish.

December 19, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • Lou

what good is an absentee sovereign?

December 19, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • sha la la

would Jesus call someone an idiot? You sure don't sound like him. I think you don't even know anything about him except what you can quote. You actually sound more like a Westboro Baptist member. Don't be hatin'

December 19, 2012 at 1:56 am |
    • GB

I find your comment insulting. You should consider the idea that perhaps his ideas come from the fact that he is educated in religion. It is actually quite common that those who take their faith seriously and aren't afraid of asking the hard questions who are the ones who eventually adopt a more secular view.

December 19, 2012 at 2:17 am |
  4. SandMan030

A mother with a broken son leaves guns out, instead of securing them in a gunsafe. he gets them, kills her and goes to shoot up 20 kids and six adults. Secure your guns and don't allow mentally unstable youth to be around them. don't write down the combo to your safe, remember it so noone has it but you. this was totally preventable and gross negligence on the part of his mother. She got hers, the broken kid got his and the whole country weeps with Sandy Hook. Merry Christmas. It's not about religion, it's not about laws. It's about RESPONSIBILTY

December 19, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  5. Just Love These Kids

Please “Reshare” My Poem – For those who lost their lives in Connecticut we love you; we stand with you and hold you all so tight. Let’s make sure we fight against guns, for all those who have died by them, take our fight to the highest authority, The Awesome President Barack Obama, aren’t you all glad we voted this caring, sincere and loving man back into power. He really, really cares about you all, God Bless Canada and The United States, and the World – Let's show the World we stand together. Please reshare this poem, God guided me to write this, share it please and show you care!!
    Here it is...♥ ♥ ♥
    ✞✞✞✞✞ Never Gone Away ✞✞✞✞✞
    A day where I held your hand on the way to school.
    Handed you over to an Angel, to keep you safe, no fool.
    In this town where we celebrate as one.
    A tight knit community, so full of life and then some.

I saw that smile on your face to go be with your friends.
    Play, laugh, and learn, big smiles from end to end.
    In your day of joy, another had a plan.
    A sick, sick person, no ordinary man.

Rage and screams filled the rooms.
    This evil stood there, no remorse, no love, just doom.
    Angels came and whispered, quickly take my hand.
    Take my hand and come with me, together we will stand.
    Your work here is done oh beautiful child, I will shield you.
    I know what is to happen, but you will feel no pain, this I hold true.

In a flash, together we went away to a beautiful place.
    Here there is beauty like non other, so much joy on everyone’s face.
    There are no tears, no pain, nor sorrow, only laughter and smiles.
    Mom and Dad, I’m at a place, where there will always be a Tomorrow.

As I move amongst the other children, my friends who came with me.
    We all look down and smile upon you; I wish you could see.
    Here the angels sing a heavenly song.
    They say proudly and so lovingly “This is where you all belong”.

I am not alone at all, Jesus is here, and he is so nice and caring.
    He tells us stories and holds us close, he gives big hugs, great love we are sharing.
    I know you all grieve and I wish we were still there.
    In your heart, memories you hold so dear ,we will always know you care.

Remember how much I love you mom and dad.
    Know this please, I took your love with me, don’t be sad.
    I wish for you to stop crying, please, please; no more tears.
    I am Free; I breathe and live now in a world that is forever, with no fears!

I just want you to know, that I am happy, safe and so proud.
    Yes I have my meals, take my naps and tell everyone stories about you out loud.
    Please know this; I will forever watch what you do.
    So please know that I am okay, I hope this will help you, for me please pull through.

Turn to God and know that I am safe and sound.
    Please do this, or pain you will feel round after round.
    Soon you'll come to me, – until then please be proud.
    God will be with you, just as He's with me, this I say out loud.

Believe and trust me, I live in a world of love and faith.
    We hold our hands together, pray and give grace.
    I have a little pet, which stays with me and my Guardian Angel.
    God is with us by the minute and he gives us big hugs and kisses.
    He loves you so much too and sends many well wishes.

Don’t let your life be swept away by evil and guilt, proudly live for me.
    Show me how strong you are, no guilt, no more tears, please let me see?
    Live in Faith so I can see daily, how wonderful you are.
    Mom and Dad; I am not gone, I live close by believe me and it’s not far.

Bless my soul, your soul, one day we will reunite.
    You will be with me then, trust me – day and night.
    One more thing, please fight for the guns to vanish and disappear.
    I want no one to ever hurt again, no more tears.

He tried to hurt all of the children, but the Angels stepped in and guarded us.
    Took us straight to Heaven to be with God, we saw neither ruckus nor fuss.
    I say it again; please know in your heart, in times of shear evil God is real.
    He saved us mom and dad, from all of evils pain that day, it is so surreal.

Oh my, is Heaven ever awesome, they take care of us so lovingly and carefully.
    They show us the great times we had with you, in the future there’s more blissfully.
    Forever I am your child; I will live in your heart and Heaven – now and forever.
    Please pray to God daily, ask him for signs and he will show you, he is that clever.

In the most beautiful ways, I will inspire you to stand.
    Fight for all of our lives and please promise me? You will take a grand stand.
    Tell the Schools to please lock all windows and doors,
    There’s always going to be evil, and he will try more and more.

Remember; please don’t say goodbye, I am alive in Heaven up above the sky.
    Wipe away your tears and smile for me, I know it’s hard but please try.
    Good and Evil stand in everyone’s daily life, this we all know.
    You will honor us with great faith; fight the wicked, put on one heck of a show.

By (Tarue) Avtar S. Herr—Kelowna Canada -Copyright 2012
    Bless everyone. Please find it in your heart to stand up, Go straight to the President, and Congress.
    For These men, women and children who continue to lose their lives to gun violence, we need to fight hard for them and unite together. Today, this day, we will honor all who have perished.

December 19, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • HIGH IQ

This "poem" SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON"T quit your day job!

December 19, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Puckles

What is hilarious is that this woman got this load of CRAP copyrighted. LOL!!!!!! I couldn't make it through the first 5 sentences.

December 19, 2012 at 1:16 am |
  6. Chris

1 "It's God'd will"
    Believers think that every event in the light is God's will. They don't make exceptions no matter how tragic.
    2 "Jesus called the children home"
    Believers think that when Jesus died on the cross he opened the kingdom of heaven. They believe the innocent can call this place thier new home after death.
    3 "After death, there is resurrection"
    Belivers think that life exists with the holy spirit. Our eathly bodies will stay ashes but, the spirit will acend/resurrect. Only Jesus had a bodily resurrection.
    4 "This was God's judgement"
    See #1. Believers of the Bible have been exposed to much harsher concepts. In the Bible God ordered the killing of many. The children were not to be spared. Those who did where punished. Considering that God flooded the entire planet and will destroy it again, all we have seen are drops in a bucket. I mean, if you believe.
    4 "This happened because America is too secular"
    Maybe. There is a lot of talk about the mental health of our country. Colombine, VT, Newtown, Aurora all the suspects have had poor religious ties. Whether you believe or not, it is possible that if all these people where more religious there tragedies wouldn't have happened. Religion is like insanity with a vioce in your head however, the voice usually says "don't do it".

December 19, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  7. bubba

You can't just take the good if you believe in God. God, if you believe, governs all of man's activities and knows all. God can intervene at any point. God could have prevented this and many other tragedies that have effected man kind over the millennia. If there is a god then he/she didn't care about the events in Newtown. Or has a larger plan for all involved. If you live in rational universe then there is no god and the events in Newtown were done by a mentally unstable human.

December 19, 2012 at 1:03 am |
  8. Daniel

I hate NRA!!! GUN crazy lol.

December 19, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  9. tigershark49

Great article. Pretty much exactly how i feel.

December 19, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  10. Djakarta

Funny the religious commentators who take exception to the post resort to name calling without any support for their allegations (commie, socialist, etc.). Did they even read the post? Or is it that anyone who thinks about the bible and religion and make a cogent case for his opinions should be called names? My mamma told me that name calling is the last resort of the incompetent. If your ideas are superior, then trot them out and persuade us. At least cite scripture. Otherwise you are intellectually lazy or ignorant of your own religion.

December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • lol??

Just come out of the closet, you atheistic Socialist. Your dreams make you a commie.

December 19, 2012 at 1:11 am |
  11. Lizard Lance

Why are so many folks here politicizing this tragedy? So many of the comments are extraordinarily foolish and based on nonsense. It's no wonder that our nation is in the state it's in and senseless massacres continue. Americans embrace differences and ignore similarities, and as a nation we're destined for eradication.

December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am |
  12. mocus1

James, what does CNN have to do with facts? Nothing, that's why it's the lowest rated cable news network. CNN is about taking the news and twisting it to promote the left wing agenda and attack the right wing agenda, that's all.

December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • Lou

wow

December 19, 2012 at 1:13 am |
    • Miss Demeanor

CNN usually has an unbiased view. The popular news organizations are outrageously politically slanted. What has that lead to? A public that is politically sharply divided and unwilling to consider other viewpoints... which leads to political parties that are unwilling to collaborate to help ALL of us. Pretty friggin' stupid if you think about it. Yep... no better than a third world country. And THIS article was making the same point: pig-headed, hate-filled cults like Westboro Baptist are dividers. They have NO interest in furthering God's work. Look at the hate in their eyes when you see them on TV. Pure hate... vile, sick, twisted dogmatic, ignorant, sanctimonious, self-appoint 'leaders'. They make me want to puke.

December 19, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  13. lobby

Stephen, I know Jesus lives. Jesus is a nice person, and Heaven is a nice place. No death, sickness, family all around, love, kindness, everlasting friendship, etc. I know that for sure. When I read the scriptures, sometimes I wonder why their Jesus is at times so different than mine? When men, run religion, is usually becomes a religious military dictatorship. Even moses and other prophets seem to fall into waging wars. When Jesus came, He did not wage wars. Jesus says.

December 19, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • jech88

If that were true, and if Chrisitans TRULY believed this, then no only would view this as a tragedy, but they would all have mass suicides, because why on earth would they want to stay in an imperfect world when a perfect one is waiting for them? Also, according to Christian belief, any of the kids that weren't Christian, or didn't have time to repent for dying, are burning in hell for all eternity. That's why I can't accept the Christian GOD. The Christian GOD says "believe in me or I'll have you tortured for all eternity"....hmmm...sound like Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot.

December 19, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Joe

Well Jech, first off suicide is playing a role of God, which of course is a sin. Man cannot play this role and when it comes to life and death then God shall be the judge not man. And if man takes his own life then he will not be entering the Kingdom. So there is flaw number 1.

"Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it." Deut. 1:39

That explains flaw number 2. "Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19

Your ignorance baffles me. Please learn the context and etymology of words before using them in an arguments.

December 19, 2012 at 1:27 am |
    • GB

Dear lobby, let me share with you an atheist's opinion, if you'll let me. My mother is a believer, but I am not. I doubt she will be happy in heaven, as her love for me is her defining characteristic. And if she is happy, knowing I am in hell, then I'll surely consider her brainwashed. You may ask why I don't simply believe to avoid my fate? Well, you'd be quick to find it easier to convince me that the sun is the moon. And that's not for lack of trying either. I do desperately wish to be convinced that there is a god out there, however I am mentally incapable of it. I am a searcher of truth by nature. As a result I took my faith seriously and asked the hard questions. However, as a result I became a deist, then agnostic, then finally atheist. Can God, if he exists, blame me for trying? Life isn't easier as an atheist, in fact it's harder. I live knowing that I won't see my parents after they pass, that I won't be rewarded for my good deeds, that I really am alone. If I could will myself to believe in an almighty good to save me from this hell on earth, I would! But I can't, so life is difficult. I dare not disturb my mother, as she prays to God to give her strength to go on in this world. She is comforted by the idea that our family will be happy someday.

December 19, 2012 at 3:03 am |
  14. mocus1

Do these liberals ever invoke the violent rap culture of misogyny, violence and drug use as a contributor of today's moribund society? Nah, not PC like attacking believers and guns, and possibly RACIST. Oh heavens, can't do that.

December 19, 2012 at 12:57 am |
    • James PDX

I don't really like rap, however, I like it better than bigots.

December 19, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • lol??

Everybody that doesn't share the "convictions" of a Socialist is a bigot. That's old time doctrine.

December 19, 2012 at 1:09 am |
    • Lou

"Get off my lawn!"

December 19, 2012 at 1:15 am |
  15. lol??

Billions of dollars to Egypt so the Brudderhood can kill CHRISTIANS. That's called rational.

December 19, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  16. JustSomeGuy

What I cannot understand is the amount of hate that is being posted by people who choose not to be religious. Why is there so much anger towards those who are religious. When someone who is religious makes any kind of statement, even one such as " My prayers go out to these families..." you vehemently attack the poster. You become the very thing that you despise when you do this. You try and explain to religious people why their viewpoints are wrong, and you pursuade them as to why yours are right. You are forcing your beliefs down others throats, something that you yourselves do not enjoy having done onto you. If you are truly non religious, why waste your time doing this? Is it because you are insecure in your own beliefs? Because you need others to fall into the same logic that you did so that you can feel that your thoughts an non beliefs are logical, and justified? Is it to erase your own doubts through the confirmation of your peers? If you are truly non-religous, what does it matter to you which god people chose to worship? According to your personal beliefs, everyone experiences the same nothingness as any other person of any other religion after the flame of life has been extinguished. If truly you believe that there are no consequences in the afterlife for actions you took during your life on Earth, then why does it matter if a person prays to God? What harm does it do them? None, I would contend, but it gives them hope that all of their hard work in life will pay off, that their lives mean something. Ask yourselves honestly why you care so deeply what others believe. You may not like the answers, but the question should be asked. Then, if you are content with what you find, remember that according to your own beliefs, the actions we take during our lives, including worship, have no real reflection and that in the end, be we Christian, Jewish, Bhuddists,etc. we will all get to enjoy the same non existance as you.

December 19, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  17. mocus1

What's hilarious is that all of these smug, self satisfied liberals will be begging God for 5 more minutes of life when they're on their deathbed. Five more minutes of life so they can mock the existence of God and the people who believe in him. A life wasted on bitterness, envy, nihilism and CNN.

December 19, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • James PDX

You find that hilarious? That teaches us two things about you. 1) You're not very Chirstian, and 2) you're wrong pretty much all of the time.

December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • Joe

James,

I'm curious, are you even famliar with Christianity? You seem quite ignorant to me.

December 19, 2012 at 1:06 am |
    • jech88

Well mocus, interestingly enough, according to the bible, one can live their entire lives like Hitler, repent on their deathbed, and be welcomed in heaven with open arms. Makes sense to you? I guess the joke's on you, because according to the bible, it is true.

December 19, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • Lou

I plan to be downloaded into a computer program then hardwired into a satellite and get shot into space to scout for new planets to colonize for a unified humanity. Thats my dream.

December 19, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • July

God has No End,He's{First&Last}\\ Its Not funny atheist have there Own mental unstableness.Self Gratification Own understanding,Own Self teaching,Own way of life,Own up bringing,Own Nieve Independence,Own idea of what life looks like when your blind&death Unbelievers A Prisoner,of darkness.Absolutely not funny,A loss Soul.One part they all have right theres no beginning for God.

December 19, 2012 at 2:20 am |
  18. Guy H Dods

Surely all the shootings ( a daily occurrence, average 87 deaths and 183 injuries!, 100,000 guns fired in anger or otherwise each year!) are more to do with an extremely violent society, a very frightened society that feels "safer" in the presence of guns! Just have a look at the TV series "the Preppers"!! Says it all, this is America.
    Nothing to do with religion(which is also largely based on "frightening" people into not doing "bad" things! Again, completely man-made nonsense), but lots to do with the American system.
    Why is America such an "afraid" society, I guess it can only be due to the rather uncivilised system under which Americans live. You either "make it" in America, or you are a "loser". Civilised societies recognise the "frailties?" of genetics, every single human being on this planet is ever so slightly different, and react to situations differently. Education must have lots to do with this phenomenon. I get the impression that the American psyche is all screwed up as well! We get the impression that Americans are "big tough" people. That is until something goes wrong, and everyone is swimming in tears! Great instability within the society, which needs to be nurtured. I think this is going to take more than even the best efforts of President Obama and his genuine concern for the state of his people. There will be no gun control while most Americans seem to live in fear of whatever. I think the news agencies must start providing the daily "death by shooting" stats every single day, not just the mega shootings, every shooting, and slowly the populace "just might wake up" and do something about it.

December 19, 2012 at 12:53 am |
  19. mocus1

That's right Lou, Fox News has 6 of the top 10 rated shows on TV, CNN is the lowest rated cable news network. Now, who did you say doesn't have any facts? Truth hurts, doesnt' it?

December 19, 2012 at 12:52 am |
    • James PDX

What have facts got to do with ratings? 3 and a 1/2 men was one of the most highly rated shows of all time. The fact is, that show sucks.

December 19, 2012 at 12:55 am |
    • Fnordz

Tell me you aren't seriously implying that the station which is the most popular is automatically that with the most facts...?

December 19, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • jech88

Interesting. With all their right-wing propaganda, Obama still got elected. Joke's on you right wing! I guess people view Fox, like Rush, as simply entertainment.

December 19, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Dave Green

Popularity = Truth huh? Wow! The logic is stunning.

December 19, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Lou

I tired to watch it. They all look real fake, and sound real stupid. Not much of news neither just alot of personal opinion. You know the highest grossing singer is that Bieber kid, and his music sucks. It was fun to watch after the election though, boy they couldn't stop tripping over each other.

December 19, 2012 at 1:23 am |
  20. LK

I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. Even the stupid White House referred to Christmas Trees as “Holiday Trees” . How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

December 19, 2012 at 12:51 am |
    • James PDX

Well, these days he doesn't protect us. In the old days, he slaughtered us and our children. Which is really worse?

December 19, 2012 at 12:56 am |
    • Kona

Please let me know when and where God actually shows up because I'm sure we all would have just a few questions for him/her/it. Let me guess, God allowed this to happen for a reason. Or is it, as you suggest, God is teaching us a lesson in how to be a brutal supreme being when your subjects ignore you.

December 19, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • Dave Green

I wish you people would agree on something. I thought you believed that every individual has a personal relationship with God and that we each have a personal free will choice to "allow God into our lives." I guess I was wrong, and it's not about personal relationships, it's about what the government in whatever particular country you live in supports or doesn't support? Make up your mind.

December 19, 2012 at 1:06 am |