home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Anonymous

What ever happened to the freedom to have one's own opinion? Who cares if she is atheist? It's her right? Why push religion down her throat and make her mover further away from it? My belief, To each their own.

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • GAW

No one is forcing religion on her. It's just that we Americans are pretty stodgy about our comfort zones. We get bent out of shape about the silliest issues.

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

And why write an ungodly and unholy article like this, to push her own "unbelief" down our throats. We don't want to hear it. Unfortunately, CNN just keeps the anti-God and pro-Devil articles coming...

January 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Theo

If you dont conform to religion you have no opinion, they fear opinions that are not their own. because it makes them think "what if"

What If – praying does nothing
      What If – talking animals is silly as it sounds
      What If – rituals and robes are meaningless

January 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

Theo... And what if you died and went to hell. How would you get out?...

January 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  2. virginia

it only makes sense that logic reason or science will come up with the proof of the existence of God cause emotions or religion don't concern themselve with providen answers only by damanding answer cause – Religon can only bring forth in humans the need for answers to all the question Religion provides....Science or logic or reason attempts to provide answers to all that is unknown in order to give confort to our emotions and answers to our question...

January 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • Theo

My grandma can weave a better quilt

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

You write like a second-grader... and you think like one, too.

January 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • gager

Wow, did you miss taking your medication. Proof of something that doesn't exist....crazy.

January 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • ultimate sin

Some people are quite comfortable with admitting that they do not know all of the answers.

If you don't know you don't have to make something up to explain it all.

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • Athy

Virginia has the writing skills of a typical religie; about third grade at best.

January 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • Saraswati

Please write “because” instead of “cause”.
      Grammar fix rewrite:
      “It only makes sense that logic, reason, or science will come up with the proof of the existence of God. Emotions and religion don't concern themselves with providing answers, only with demanding answers. Religion can only bring forth in humans the need for answers. Science, or logic, or reason attempts to provide answers to all that is unknown in order to give comfort to our emotions and answers to our questions.”

January 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Saraswati

@Athy, She may have serious writing difficulties, but if you look at the rewite the thoughts are reasonably developed so I think there's a written language disability. Just be nice, OK?

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Athy

Possibly. But it can be hard to dig out the intent.

January 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  3. Angelo

The banana is an atheist's nightmare. It's peanut butter jelly time!

January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Not true... Gay atheists LOVE bananas.

January 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • Answer

Oh RAY COMFORT!!

You're the hero of the stupids. Can everyone be more of an idiot than you? XD

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • GAW

For the time being I've run out of puns. I will give it a rest.

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

What's peanut butter jelly?

January 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

@Angelo,

you do know that monkeys don't open a banana by the 'handle' as Ray Comfort describes it don't you?

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  4. ultimate sin

Molesting the minds of children with religion is a terrible thing to do.

January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  5. ultimate sin

Don't question.

Just pick one before you go to hell and hope you win the roulette game and pick the one that gets you into heaven.

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • religion,,

yeah,, don't use reasoning and follow the voodoo,, fear will get you.

January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

You're suggesting something called 'Pascal's Wager', which has been proven to be a logical fallacy... Sorry.

January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • mdwesterngrl

there technically is no teaching of actual hell in the teachings of bible...that was invented a few centuries after Christianity came to be in an effort to control people

January 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • ultimate sin

What does proof or even reasoning have to do with it?

January 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  6. DocB

Her lack of belief in our Dark Lord Satan disturbs the god of darkness!

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • GAW

Are you referring to Donald Trump?

January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  7. Scott

I know each side will not agree, but there are actually intelligent people on both sides of this debate. This is not just an issue of IQ but very emotional. Christians are stereotyped as uneducated, narrow minded, bigots while agnostics/atheists are considered hateful, immoral naturalists with no appreciation for the spiritual. What makes me sad is all of the inflammatory rhetoric making it impossible to have a productive dialogue. Everyone wants to think that they're in the right group and then feel superior to others who just "don't get it". We see the less intelligent folks on the other side of the argument and think that's the best expression of that side. I don't believe that all ideas about truth are equally valid, but it's tough to try to figure out ultimate truth and we need to give each other a break.

January 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Of course there are some on both sides... But studies have proven that the more education a person has, and the higher IQ a person has, the more likely they are to be atheists... And other studies have proven that children with low IQs tend to grow up to be conservative.

January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • religion,,

the vast majority of the most intelligent don't believe in religious nonsense.

January 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Science

Scientist seeks 'adventurous woman' to have Neanderthal baby
      Where’s Fred Flintstone when you need him?

A professor of genetics at Harvard’s Medical School believes he’s capable of bringing the long-extinct Neanderthal back to life – all he’s lacking is the right mother.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/21/scientist-seeks-adventurous-woman-to-have-neanderthal-baby/?intcmp=features#ixzz2IdrhQbpJ

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

You are in error. There are no intelligent people on the other side. If they were so intelligent they'd believe in God. The fact that they don't believe only illustrates their extreme ignorance...

January 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • God's honest truth

just, you are an idiot

January 21, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

To "God's honest truth"… You mean like you? I don't think so…

January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  8. ultimate sin

When not believing is the ultimate sin the whole faith starts to smell of bull pucky.

January 21, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
  9. virginia

atheist say we don't have emotions we don't need religion we are though as a rock unbreakable by feeling of any kind....let us be now that emotions have given us life we want to supress all notion that emotions ever existed...one thing is ironic though with our religion or emotion there be no logic or reason answers or science cause emotion damand and come up with question to which logic reason and science desparate want to give answers too....to give confort the need to answer that emotions demand from science or logic or reason.

January 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

"atheist say we don't have emotions" what????
      why would an atheist say something like that? what does that have to do with the belief in a god?

January 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Athy

Virginia, do you ever proof read your comments before posting them?

January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

virginia, don't you have school tomorrow? Better get cracking on that report, dear.

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  10. Angelo

To the amoeba under a microscope slide, the scientist does not exist.
    The amoeba cannot see the scientist, but that doesn't mean the scientist does not exist.
    I suggest you read Flatland by Abbott.
    It will open-up your mind to the possibility of beings in other dimensions.

January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Amoebas are not humans... Although they are smarter than most conservatives.

January 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Angelo

It's an analogy. Do you know what an analogy is?

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • gager

"To the amoeba under a microscope slide, the scientist does not exist."
      To the amoeba under a microscope, the microscope and slide to not exist which has nothing to do with atheism.

January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"It's an analogy. Do you know what an analogy is?"

It's a very, very poor analogy, hence, my response... Try coming up with something relevant instead of comparing the human perception to that of a one-celled organism.

January 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • End Religion

Beings in other dimensions may exist, great.
      A creator may exist, great.
      A pink polka-dotted elephant named Elephus may have pinched her snout and farted us into existence, great.

Now either find some empirical evidence for any of these. Until then maybe consider that a life of fevered devotion to any imaginary creature is absurd.

January 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
  11. Torque

To you religious who insist on pushing this God thing on people.... The author of the blog has EVERY right to express her views without judgement, every right to live life without religion.. but yet you all leap on the religious bandwagon and condemn, judge her and practically banish her ideals... ask yourselves something... How do you know there is a God? How do you know there was a Jesus? Do you have proof? I don't mean proof in a man made book (bible), but actual proof? And , if you have proof, does it still give you the right to judge? The author doesn't want your prayers. She doesn't want your mercy. She wants to live in a world where she isn't confronted and harassed by those who are religious. She doesn't go out of her way to belittle those who are, she respects them. Why can't you religious folks do the same? Oh yea.. because you would rather believe in a system that tells you how to think rather than you develop one on your own... herded... like sheep... hence the word "sheeple" folks.

I am not taking sides in this debate, but it is very, very clear that the religiously minded have judged her, trying to save her soul...... do yourselves a favour. Open your mind, work on yourself, rather than trying to save those who don't share your religious views. Can't open your mind? Then there lies YOUR problem.

January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • Answer

Religious people do not like it when other people dismiss their silly mythical belief.

January 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • GAW

Relax nobody is dragging you off to church against your will or forcing you to read religious texts.

January 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • mdwesterngrl

GAW: but you do try to force your beliefs into our government all the time..

January 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

Torque… I hate to tell you this, but you "are" and "have" taken sides. It is obvious in your post. You're just as anti-God and pro-Devil as the author of this article is. And if you're not careful, you'll both end up in hell…

Articles like this is not as innocent as they look. We believers don't even want to see or read such articles that are pro-Devil. We'd much rather read articles giving honor to God. But CNN just keeps the pro-Devil and anti-God articles coming? And why is that? Answer: If you support the devil, then it only means you're of the devil. And it cannot be otherwise…

January 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • God's honest truth

just, you are an idiot

January 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

To "God's honest truth"... You mean like you? I don't think so...

January 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  12. BigAl1957

Atheists are the ones who are clueless, Sad Very Sad,

January 21, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

how so? can you support your claim in any way?

January 21, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Who's clueless?? The one who believes in talking snakes and pregnant virgins, or the one who dismisses them as mindless fairy tales??

January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • gager

All those atheists that brought more comfort to mankind than anyone...those atheists?

January 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • austin

i can support his claim because the Holy spirit testifies of Himself, in a person who yeilds him/herself as a living sacrifice to God. The spirit sustains His own ministry of truth.

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Answer

@austin

Oh you can support his claims. So who supports your claim? And who supports that further claimant? It's looking pretty circular. LOL

You'll write down that the bible supports you. I guarantee it.

January 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • GAW

$5 says that Big Al wont respond to his comment.

January 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
    • Public Enemy Number 2

So... The Bible is true because God says it is, and God exists because the Bible says He does. Did I sum up your beliefs, @austin?

January 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • sam stone

Given the number of gods man has worshipped, what makes you think you have a clue BigAl?

January 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

@austin
      are you telling me that you suffer from a form of schizophrenia?

January 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

Atheists spend all of their time trying to get us to "prove" that which they don't believe in. Yet, when you ask those atheists for "proof" to support why they don't believe in it, they can't do it to save their life. LOL!...

January 21, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • baconlazer

said the clueless one.

January 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • God's honest truth

just, you are an idiot

January 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

baconlazer… To an atheist, yes Wisdom does seem clueless…

Proverbs 24:7 – Wisdom is too high for a fool:

January 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

To "God's honest truth"... You mean like you? I don't think so...

January 21, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • JustTheFacts

To "God's honest truth"... You mean like you? I don't think so....

January 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
  13. Angelo

Accusations of hypocrisy are so easy to make, even a child can make them, so I'm not that impressed.

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

no idea what you're talking about....

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
  14. Science

Hey Mom/Dad trying find that place you told me I was going to the other day, hell wasn't it ?

January 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"Well guess what Mom/Dad can't seem to locate it (hell) with the gps on my phone.. Can you please tell me where it is."

Yes, I can... It's known to Americans as 'Texas'

January 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • 123#@!

I been there the dame earth cracks wide open in August so just maybe . (ankle breakers)

January 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  15. Angelo

I thought we evolved from bananas.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • GAW

That may sound appealing to some.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

*groan*

January 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • Daniel

HA!

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • GAW

No groan and then the facepalm

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • GAW

Of course some scholars are split on this issue.

January 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Mayla

Angelo + GAW..........what a pear!

January 21, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • GAW

And one more....We need to avoid the slippery slope argument when addressing this possibility.

January 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
    • sam

The pundits will be all over this one....

January 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
  16. I was a non-believer until

I experience God's mercy and Love- Maybe we haven't experienced that in our life yet. But keep believing in what you want- it's great that we live a life of free-will. It'll be over just like those days in Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah.
    When you have a basket of bad and good apples don't you throw away the bad ones so that good ones don't get spoiled? Well GOD and ONLY GOD (not us) will judge those bad-evil people. It's not up to us to say "this person is evil" or "this person doesn't deserve god's love" “Who are you to be judging your neighbor?” James 4:11 teaches us that. And If we appreciate the merciful nature of God’s justice, we will not be quick to judge others in matters that really do not concern us or that are of lesser importance. In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus warned: “Stop judging that you may not be judged.” (Matthew 7:1) According to Luke’s account, Jesus added: “Stop condemning, and you will by no means be condemned.”* (Luke 6:37. So respect on another and we should live in harmony!

January 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • gager

You've been fed a load of crap. Now you spew the same load of crap.

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

i assure you that you have never been a serious atheist and i know this by how you talk

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Theo

I got some quotes too, as we all know quoting books proves everything!

Han Solo: There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.

Luke Skywalker : Red five standing by

Arnold: Hasta La Vista Baby

Darth Vader: WHAT ?

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  17. fred

Acts chapter 7 we see what non believers are capable of when they hear the truth as when Stephen told them about Christ: 57 At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58 dragged him out of the city and began to stone him.

January 21, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • Answer

Right on schedule. A babble quote.

Cornfirmed. Pathetic person posting their babble post.
      Now you need to give more of them.

January 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • mdwesterngrl

darling that was the jews at the time who tried to stone him. so they in your little mind are "non-believers" too?

January 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • sam stone

wow, fred....a quote......how impressive

January 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
  18. BigAl1957

Iff CNN Doesnt like you responsce They zapp it, Talk about Censorship, Losers

January 21, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • GAW

No it's all about word filters. Nobody at CNN has the time to waste to read most of these comments.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • sam

From the looks of it, I don't think we really wanted to see more from you anyway.

January 21, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Helpful Hints

Equal opportunity for all... even BigAl:

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN automatic filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ---
      ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
      co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      crac-ker…
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, sopho-more, etc.
      ho-oters…as in sho-oters
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      inf-orms us…
      hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-oon… as in sp-oon, lamp-oon, harp-oon
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sm-ut…..as in transm-utation
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, t-itle, ent-ity, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, salt-water, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      x.xx…
      There's another phrase that someone found, "wo-nderful us" (have no idea what sets that one off).

There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete.

January 21, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  19. GAW

OK CNN it's time to take this story off the front page and make room for more news stories.

January 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • sam

More clicks = more money.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Don't like it?? Go elsewhere... Stories like this are big moneymakers... And they help spread logic and common sense by letting people know they can be atheists without a backlash from the delusional Christians.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

We've got a major demographic change – people are more willing to openly consider themselves non religious, agnostic, atheist – it is news, and how they are treated by those Christians who are intolerant, figuring out how to deal with the prejudice around this is indeed relevant – and, as can be seen by the busy comment sections – hot news.

January 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  20. Van Smith

the Christ told us roughly 2000 years ago...God is love...love is willing the good for the other...(not willing the good for the self)...if one loves their neighbor as themselves then love is willing the good of all....anything else comes from the evil one...

January 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • sam

Well, love unless they disobey. Then they get THE LAKE.

Tell me, who made the 'evil one'?

January 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • gager

Telling someone to feel love is nonsense.

January 21, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

Love me – or else I'll torture you forever in the worst way possible. Oh yeah, and I'll do that if you disobey me too.

Sounds like a Lifetime movie about some horrendeously abusive boyfriend.

January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm |