home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Angelo

So people in search of the meaning of life are stupid, weak cowards?

January 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • sam stone

not at all.

January 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

No... The ones who make assumptions to satisfy self-fulfilling prophecies are... That's the essence of religion.

January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • Answer

We can expect this so called brilliant person to make another clueless post, but never a reply.

January 21, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

People who want to push and discriminate against other's meaning of life, so that they don't have to ever think about if theirs is correct or not.

January 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  2. Theo

If religion is the one truth in life, why do religious people brainwash kids from birth. If you know your religion is real and the "truth" why not let them grow up w/o influence and see if they think its real as an adult ?

This wont happen because in the back of every religious persons mind, they know how silly it would be.

Imagine growing up, going to school learning about the real world then as an adult someone tells you about magic, praying, pews and money baskets – they would laugh in your face not embrase it as truth!

You can raise a child to believe in anything, thats why there is racism, myths, abuse and stereo typing

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Jeff

My guess is this lady wouldn't be so open minded if her children chose to become religious...

January 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Theo

At least she is giving them a choice. something religion does not

January 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • JFCanton

Religious parents wouldn't inherently give any less of a "choice." Many don't, true... it's just not an assumption that you can make.

January 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
  3. Nietodarwin

Churches victimize the weak minded "believers" who then raise their children in the same mental illness. This woman is doing what REAL parents do, teaching her kids to think for themselves. Their should be laws against letting children be dragged into this brainwashing that is religion. I'm very happy with the blog she wrote, and very happy it's getting so much attention. This country is slowly waking up from the HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE that is "faith" and "belief" These religious nuts are the reason our test scores are lower than other countries. (Just look at the writing of many "believers " on here.) I was raised in religion, but thankfully I was also given an education which allowed me to break free from religion and come into the TRUE JOY of atheism.

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • mason

well said...I was raised Baptist, became ordained minister, saw the light, been a happy Atheist for 42 years. Believers can't even imagine the peace of mind of living in reality. No make believe invisible friend to deal with.

January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  4. gAWD = mythology

Religion is a refuge for the stupid, the weak, the cowards.......

AND....

A tool used to control these people for all of those evil dirt bags that prey on them.

January 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  5. Religion is illogical...

Good people will always do good things, and bad people will always do bad things.... But, in order for good people to do bad things, you need religion.

January 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • ram

You think your so smart your blind to what might be possible. Too bad. I agree with you about religion but your so closed minded you wont even consider the possibilities.

January 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • Answer

"but your so closed minded you wont even consider the possibilities."

–Those other possibilities are what?

January 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"...but your so closed minded you wont even consider the possibilities."

How would you know?? I consider all possibilities. I dismiss the ones that are proven to be fictional. Religion, especially Christianity, has been proven beyond any doubt to be nothing but fairy tales... Provide me with some evidence, and I'll always listen.

January 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • Athy

Ram, it's "you're," not "your."

January 21, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • ram

Athy thanks for the spelling lesson. That is pretty important here. All I am saying is that I have experienced things where there are no explanations for what happened or why but it seems like there was some other force at work. Something that directed my actions or at least led me down a path of action or inaction. Religion is not what I am talking about. You guys don't need to be rude about this, I am just telling you what I experienced and my opinion. When your rude (sorry, you're) you shut people out and then you don't hear all sides of the discussion. Just relax.

January 21, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • Athy

I've had similar experiences. Never considered them any more than coincidences. Given the near infinite number of opportunities for such a coincidence, one can expect to have a "mysterious" occurrance occasionally.

January 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  6. gAWD = mythology

When will mankind move beyond mythology and embrace reality? Until we accept reality, we can not move forward as we should. I can't believe in 2013 some people still talk to imaginary sky fairies. It's disgusting.

January 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Dictionary

"After her post ran on CNN, Mitchell said she was encouraged by the number of people who agreed with her, or who disagreed but wanted to have a respectful discussion."

She is respectful.

You are not.

January 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • gAWD = mythology

@ Dictionary.....I have NO respect for nonsense, insanity, etc. Religion is absolute nonsense.

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • ram

The hard evidence is I was there. I could not care less if you believe me. What sucks for you is your too closed minded to see it when it happens to you.

January 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • Dictionary

I'm glad that Martin Luther King, Jr did not think that religion was nonsense.

I'm glad it gave him strength to resist persecution to enable rights for Americans.

He trusted in Jesus Christ. Thank God.

January 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • JFCanton

Shouldn't we have respect for our ancestors? We aren't any smarter now than people were 2000 years ago.

"Atheism" is not a recent invention. A substantial minority of Greek thinkers were atheists. But this did not prove tenable enough for enough people to catch on.

January 21, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
  7. Bec215

What is lost in this discussion is the possibility that SOMETHING exists beyond this physical world – something that may or may not resemble anything espoused by an organized religion. You can not follow any organized religion, and still believe that there is a higher plane to which we're not privy. I cannot STAND it when someone says "Why would God let x happen?" Scriptures tell us humans have free will – we are responsible for our lives. Humans have grossly oversimplified thousands of pages of complex writings into soundbites that leave no room for nuance.... It's unfortunate a discussion that is inherently comprised of shades of gray is made to be so black and white.

January 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  8. Godless AR 15 Owner

Religion is a way for people to avoid having to take responsibility for their own life.....ultimately someone else is responsible for their life, death, success, failures....not them....it's the imaginary sky fairy....

January 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
  9. ram

It is hard for me to believe that many people feel like they can grasp all that is going on around them. You actually believe that we are alone in this world and there is nothing else just because you cannot understand it. You cannot understand the universe but it is there. That is different why because science has made telescopes so you can see it? A few months ago I was at a red light and when it turned green I did not go. 5 seconds later a pickup going about 60 blew though the red light. If I had gone when I should have I would have been T boned. Why did I not go? When my youngest daughter was 6 months old she was crying in her crib and we brought ner in our bed to calm her. We never did that. We always let them cry themselves to sleep but this night we did. Around 2:00 AM I was woken up like somebody hit me with a bat, no noise, nothing. I looked over and my daughter was not breathing. We got her to come around and she was fine. Why did we bring her in THAT night? What woke me up? Those of you that think these are coincidences, luck, etc I am sorry for you as you are missing out on the miracles that are going on around you. If you would open your eyes to the possibility that maybe, just maybe we are not as smart as we think we are you would see this other force, spirit, whatever you want to call it happening all around us. Just because you dont understand it and cannot see it does not mean it is not there. Believe me.

January 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

It's a shame you're not able to understand the concepts of 'confirmation bias' and a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'... They easily explain your mindset.

January 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Answer

Oh you just give your gut feeling story. It saved your life. Congrats.

January 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Alton vierra

Amen

January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • gAWD = mythology

I DO NOT believe you. Why? Because you can't produce any hard evidence of what you say. There is no invisible sky fairy, face reality.

January 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
    • Razor

And your mindset is explained by what might I ask? Almost every page on this thread has a post by you and I've not noticed any that cite any evidence that would suggest you've actually studied the ideas you espouse.It's strange that all but one avid atheist I've ever known had trouble passing even basic biology. Most tended to be art students with serious mommy or daddy issues. Most serious biologists do not waste their time on matters of theology and posting insults on the internet, regardless of where they stand on the issue of God.

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

Almost any parent knows the difference between different cries of their baby – the distress versus the normal hungry – she gave an abnormal cry, and you guys recognized it. And the absence of a noise – haven't you ever been awoken by a power outage – the subtle sound of a fan or two shutting off?

Look up confirmation bias. Or – go up to someone who got tboned in an intersection, and lost a loved one, and bring up your theory that god saved you, but found their loved one lacking.

January 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • M

I'm glad that you avoided two disasters, but you may want to hesitate before attributing it to some out-worldly power. I think it's far, far more reasonable to consider this two situations as the results of life's little coincidences that just happened to occur at life-threatening times than to think that, ah! there must be a grand being that I cannot sense that has the magical power and consciousness to care about an animal (intelligent and dominant, but really just with a bigger brain and less fur than chimps) and interfere with it's thoughts. When you almost drop a plate belonging to say, your great-great-grandma, but save it in the nick of time (but you're usually a total klutz, have poor reflexes, and fail at athletics) do you think: wow, I usually wouldn't have managed to avoid that disaster! There must be an invisible unicorn blessing me and watching over me. I know it must be there because I feel so warm, loved, and protected right now and it saved my precious plate.

January 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
    • JFCanton

Confirmation bias is a possible confounder, not an explanation per se... obviously you have to be able to confirm *something*.

I would agree that it should be difficult to keep one's senses completely on and not occasionally experience that make explanation difficult. My favorite somewhat recent one was when my wife and I took a long trip to Canada, leaving behind my cat, whom I have had since he was about 10 days old. The night before we came home, we each dreamed not of my cat, but of our previous (departed) cats. As if my cat had been praying to his godmother cat (he had arrived, in his own extremely coincidental way, the spring after she died) when we were gone too long and he freaked out. Which he had. How useful that is on its own... not really. But things add up.

January 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • ram

See that is what I am talking about. Susan I am not talking about God or others being judged. I have 4 kids and I know there are different cries, I have been woken up at night before. I am telling you this was different. I mean it was like I was grabbed by the neck and thrown out of the bed. No, that has never happened to me before. You don't have to believe me and I am cool with it if you don't. I am just saying there is more out there than what you and I think and if people would open up themselves just to the possibility that there is something else you might be surprised.

January 21, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
    • ram

M: Why is it so hard to be open to the possibility that it is not luck, not coincidence? You can't see luck or coincidence so why is it so much easier to call it that? Forget about dropping the plates, I am serious. Why do you think you understand everything that is going on around us? Just easier? I am not trying to be rude or a smart ass I really want to know.

January 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
  10. Nietodarwin

This country needs many more parents like her. Forcing religious delusions on children is psychological abuse. I feel SO SORRY for kids being dragged to church, attending xstian schools, being taught creationism, etc. Then, by High School it's like "Mom and Dad I'm failing biology because the teacher says that Darwin and evolution are THE FOUNDATION of modern biology. The other kids are mean to me and laugh at my ignorance. They call me "that creationist kid."

January 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Mant people make it all the way into adulthood with those archaic beliefs... Just look at any Republican congressman.

January 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, Niet, but I disagree. There are many Christians who accept evolution as the most likely explanation for speciation. Don't paint everyone with such a broad brush.

January 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  11. Angelo

"I would prefer that people not believe in things that have been proven to be pure fiction."

Objection to content is no excuse.
    So you want to control what people believe?
    Sounds rather tyrannical and oppressive to me.
    Would you torture them for believing things that you don't approve of?

January 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Answer

You're rather pathetic.

January 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

"So you want to control what people believe?"

Stop making assumptions about what others think... I merely encourage people to think for themselves and to question the world around them... When a person develops the desire and ability to think for himself, the result is almost always atheism.

January 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Dictionary

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Christian.

Thank God.

January 21, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • Angelo

I make a good point and you call me "pathetic"? That's irrational.
      Being called pathetic for making such a good point is the opposite of what I deserve.
      I deserve to have a statue of myself carved out of marble or granite and erected in the living room of your house or apartment (assuming you're not homeless).
      You're threatened by my brilliance, so you sling mud at it.
      Maybe you should look in the mirror too see an example of something that is truly "pathetic".

January 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
    • Answer

Threatened by your brilliance? Let me laugh some more. XD

January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Angelo

How could I NOT assume this?!?!

January 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm |
    • Answer

Go right on ahead and assume.

LOL

January 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  12. Dave

In the King James and newer versions of the Old Testament, in Genesis 1:27 it states "And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."
    And, if you can find a copy of the original Torah that this was translated from, it states the opposite. The actual translation comes out as "And Man created God in his own image."
    But then again, that depends on who you have translate the original old Hebrew that it was written in.

For those that don't know, the Old testament of the Bible, is taken from the Torah. Different parts of Christianity use different parts of it in different ways and some leave parts of it out.

Of course, the difficult part is to find a copy of the old Torahe and find out if it was translated correctly over the years, and if it was actually written down correctly the first time, after the STORY was passed down thru many generations by word of mouth.

There are so many issues involved, it is very difficult to discuss this rationally with anyone that believes in all of the Bible and takes it on faith. Sorry, I don't think I have that much faith in a book that has been re-written so many times and translated from many different languages to our present day versions.

January 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • wadej

so, god created man that all makes sense. but, of course man created god to be their father figure in the sky so the peasants would be have and not make problems for kings and emperors. its all just control and basically people are so stupid its what they need. without god people would just do what they wish without consequence. so god for the south and intelligence for the rest of us in a god free zone. may science bless

January 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  13. Godless AR 15 Owner

Glad to see more and more people are waking up to realize that they don't need an imaginary friend to get through life, or raise their kids.

January 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • religion,,

yeah, could you imagine the dark ages when more were less informed and believed in the senseless hell fears? Religion has been a ball and chain to a truly caring and civilized world.

January 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • Godless AR 15 Owner

I totally agree. It has held humans back, and this is very sad. It is tragic that so many still cling to mythology instead of having the courage to face the reality that they are mortal, and will be gone some day.

January 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  14. GAW

10,594 + comments but not 10,594 individuals more like 300 people posting more than a dozen times. Some people have a lot of time on their hands.

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Answer

And the winner for the statistician award is you.

January 21, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • NatL

I hear that there are missionaries who not only spend all their time arguing religion, but it's funny how few people imply that they're just wasting their time.

January 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  15. Angelo

Yes. It's kind of like a daiquiri.

January 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
  16. Angelo

So you don't want people to have freedom of belief?
    It sounds to me like you would prefer that people not believe certain things.

January 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Chad

@Angelo, very true!

January 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Religion is illogical...

Yes... I would prefer that people not believe in things that have been proven to be pure fiction... Like the bible.

January 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • Answer

There goes the idiot who will deny everyone their right to believe what they want – and will say it is wrong because they don't believe what you believe.

Tough sh!t idiot. No one cares what you want.

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • religion,,

just don't believe religions should spread their voodoo to children, that's child abuse.

January 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, look!! It's Chard waving his pom-pons! Yay, team Jeebus!!

January 21, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
    • sam stone

i support your freedom of belief. it amuses me

January 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm |
    • NatL

Angelo
      People can believe what they want, but when they want their beliefs to direct the entire country then isn't disagreement also our privilege?

January 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • End Religion

Chad is scouring CNN for empirical evidence of gawd.

January 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think Chard HAS the "scours." Look it up if you dare.

January 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
  17. Orygun Duck

That good feeling a person gets when doing a good deed is simply a biochemical reaction in your brain? I pose that as a question.

January 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

are you saying that there's some kind of supernatural force in the works instead?

January 21, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • religion,,

caring for others was taught to religions and jesus, by common man. We are pleasure beings as parents. It's natural. Those who don't have those feelings are generally once children who were inflicted with mental illness, fact. Of course christians love to call those ill, sinners. They love pointing the finger at others.

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • sam stone

orygun....it seems that way to me

January 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Saraswati

yep

January 21, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • NatL

Orygun Duck
      Check out this article from Scientific American (also one in the Dec issue) about how evolution has hard-wired us to help others.

January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  18. Angelo

Because she is wrong.
    When people are wrong, it's up to people who are right to step up to the plate and set them straight.

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

what do you mean that she is wrong...?
      what is she wrong about and how is that so?

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • sam

You are wrong. The end.

January 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • Answer

For her to be wrong .. you have to show everyone why she is wrong.

The christian tools who can't see the logic.

January 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
    • NatL

That's your opinion, Angelo. You don't have any data or evidence to back you up in your claim, now do you?

January 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • Torque

So Angelo, you have just judged her... you have just proved the author's point. It is that sort of mentality that is predominant in religions today. Perhaps you and those like-minded should get torches, hunt her down, tie her to a tree and burn her. Would that make you feel better about your beliefs?

To take quotes from your own bible: Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged". Start praying, Angelo, because your God doesn't take very kindly to judging your fellow man.

January 21, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  19. religion,,

many christians believe they never evolved, I'd have to agree. Wish they would one day and join the rest of civilization.

January 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
    • Dictionary

Many Christians are responsible for scientific advances that benefit you today.

January 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • religion,,

few, I would agree. Like Galileo, huh?

January 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did their religious belief have anything to do with their contributions to science? Was the lack of belief by other scientists. a detriment to scientific progress?

January 21, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  20. Angelo

If life has no meaning, then life itself is a fallacy of logic. Do you feel dirty now?

January 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • religion,,

why must life have meaning? Is it some just can't grow up, stand on their own two feet, without the voodoo?

January 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

do you know what a non-sequitur is?
      look it up

January 21, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
    • sam stone

really, angelo? life has no meaning without god? if that is the case, go wander in traffic and prepare to meet jeebus

January 21, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

Life has meaning – everything you see around you was created by the choices of those who came before, and your life's meaning will be from everything you chose to do, and not to do.

I'm an atheist – and to me, I can't imagine how a life has meaning if this is all a silly little game set up by god to test you, a meaningless place. But in reality – it's an amazing place that we are building, and each of us is adding – or subtracting, for some people – their own bit, building the world we see today, and what will be there for the future. It's inspiring and wonderful.

January 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm |