home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Nietodarwin

It is very difficult to reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.
    Rich Rodriguez

Who are the bigger fool's, those who are born stupid or those who choose stupidity?
    John Kelly

January 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
  2. virginia

atheist answer this! if God doesn't exist how come we do????now your own ingnorance should be proof that you exist right that is not the arguement here....why do we exist???? and how we came to be on this earth???? you have no answers then why should your denial of God have any credibility...

January 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why do you think the only possible cause for our existence is some imaginary sky fairy, janey? Why are you so hot to have an answer as to the origin of the universe? Doesn't it ever occur to you that we don't know yet, and may not know anytime soon how the universe began, and that not knowing doesn't mean it "musta been gawd"?

Why do you assume that some supernatural cause is the only possible conclusion?

Let me guess. You don't have much imagination, do you?

January 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm |
    • Athy

I used to think like that too, until I was about 11. Then the truth dawned on me. We're just here because we're here. It's as simple as that. No god needed. How old are you, Virginia?

January 21, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • Lisa

Where did you learn such respect that you call others ignorant? If you are Christian, I'd think you would be more respectful of others – I thought it was part of the teachings of Jesus but I could be mistaken.

Your position demonstrates a common misunderstanding about atheism or, more accurately, a misunderstanding of logic.

If we cannot fully explain the origin of man, that simply means that man doesn't have all the answers.

To come up with a default answer of "well, must be God" has no logical basis – or no more so than to assert if you do not know why it's light during the day, then it must be a supernatural in origin.

January 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
    • tallulah13

A good education would probably clear up some of your questions, Virginia. It's amazing how far and quickly science and knowledge have come, now that they're free from the confining shadow of religion.

January 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
    • anagram_kid

Virginia,
      There are thousands of creation stories. In fact, the bible has two seperate versions. Why do you beleive the bible is the correct strory and which biblical version do you beleive?

January 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • mama k

virginia, do you know how to identify spam email when it comes in? Even if your email program does it for you, can you tell by the subject and body of the email if it's spam or not?

January 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
  3. Nietodarwin

Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own? Robert G. Ingersoll

January 21, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • texas

this is spiritual war. when you are victor in war you celebrate. God is Holy, sin is not in his presence in heaven. and he burns the chaff. do you have any fruit trees? have you seen how when you cut off a dead branch the fruit gets heartier.? God will prune dead branches. people condemn themselves by rejecting and hating the creator of their soul. dont get deceived by a physical argument about origin.

January 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
  4. pachel

Wow. Based on the comments alone, it seems to me that evil is prevailing.

January 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • Bink

you would know

January 21, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • tallulah13

Christians are a hateful bunch, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them evil. Just misguided.

January 21, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
  5. satanisaliar

three wills in universe-God's, Satan's, man's. God's will is that Satan be defeated and God's kingdom be ushered to earth. but God does not force man. Man must choose God. god wants to defeat Satan through man. First that man must be headed up in Christ, fully under His reign. Then the Lord will have a way to come back and clear up the problems in the universe. So the responsibility lies with Christians to be growing in life everyday, dealing with their sins, allowing Christ to make His home in their hearts.

January 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • tallulah13

I bet this person and Virginia could have some really amazing conversations.

January 21, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • Mayla

I hate being used...............

January 21, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
    • Athy

How about a conversation between Virginia and LionlyLamb?

January 21, 2013 at 11:43 pm |

@athy:

I think that would shut down the internet.

January 21, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The hell with the internet-it might cause the end of the world as we know it.

January 21, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
  6. Nietodarwin

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart H. L. Mencken

January 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
  7. Ron

1word
    Ron
    Is it a fantasy that we are real?'

No, it is a fantasy that you conflate with reality.
    I understand that god-talkers are not the most rational of humans, so it's not surprising you would ask a non-sequitur. Religionists are famous for doing so; they're not real bright.

January 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • nadine

Trying to sound smart you idiotic atheist. That is the problem with believers in nothing.

January 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
  8. JC

I am teaching my children about God and how wonderful He is ! I would only being doing half my job as a parent if I didn't tell them about God or Jesus. Its not just simply teaching right from wrong, its so much more than that. I feel sad for those who don't know Gods love or turn from it, it must be a lonely place to be. But God is there for everyone!

January 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • Lisa

You feel sad for those who do not share your beliefs? Is that genuine sadness or disrespect for others who do not believe as you do?

I feel happy for you if belief works for you. But to each his own!

January 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • tallulah13

How sad. Too bad you couldn't teach them about personal responsibility and how to question and think for themselves. Teaching kids to be adults serves them better than teaching them how to depend on a supernatural father figure.

January 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
    • Ron

JC
      I am teaching my children about God and how wonderful He is !
      He who allows kids to die at, oh, age 1? That "wonderful"?
      Some god you go there.

January 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • james

Ron; do you really want answers to your questions? go to jw.org and ask all you want and find out what the bible really teaches. do not be misled, the truth is there and our creator feels as bad for those children or more so than anyone but he has answers for the future and a serious solution. check it out and ask as much as you want, the answers are there.

January 21, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
    • Lisa

Nothing lonely about it. We are a species who inhabit a planet together, we have families, pets, jobs, and plenty of fantastic experiences in our lives. We simply don't attribute it to a supernatural deity.

January 21, 2013 at 11:38 pm |
    • sam stone

it's sad that you would be lonely without "god".

January 22, 2013 at 4:19 am |
  9. texas

Ithe devil is real........ this cat came to my porch, and that night i had a dream that i was in a cabin and a demonic voice was singing to me, and my body inverted upside down, and the cat that was at my potrch( which i had never seen before), ran underneath me with blood gushing out of it . i woke up knowing i had received an evil report, and went out side and it was flat as a pancake at the end of the driveway on the highway. that is demonic activity an proof for anyone.

January 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
    • tallulah13

I was once singing a song, then I turned on the radio and the exact song was on. I must be a prophet.

January 21, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • sam stone

texas: i think you are either delusional

January 22, 2013 at 4:23 am |
  10. resurrected

you all beg for a sign of something supernatural......google Isaiah ch 53 this is a pinpointed messianic prophecy from 700 BC
    the book of Daniel is another prophetic wonder beyond all imagination..The old testament pointed to a messiah and He came and was crucfified, the Lamb of God, on the passover when Israel was sacrificing their unblemished lambs, since 1400 BC.
    God is a prophetic mastermind. look up the city nineveh another proven reality only through the bible.

January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And do tell, dear. What's your god done lately?

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Pastor Rasaun O. Sheet

You can give me a pile of ancient scolls and i with Fill them with 'true prophecy' and then put them all together to form a book.

January 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • tallulah13

The biblical stories surrounding Christ's birth greatly contradict the recorded history of that time. There is no reason to think these stories are anything more than fabrications intended to "prove" that Christ fulfilled jewish prophecy.

January 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • HUH!

Resurrected, you're talking to people with seared consciences. They don't want to know the truth. God has turned them over to believe a lie. Sure, there is hope for everyone so long they're alive. But some are already dead.

January 21, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • texas

I was reading through Jeremiah for the first time, and the holy spirit revealed a part of it in a dream to me the night before i read it. The holy spirit revealed the truth of Gods word directly within my soul. it was incredible. it lit me up.

January 21, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • mama k

The problem is, resurrected, that not everyone has ever agreed on that Isaiah translation. Some might even say it leaves a tell-tale sign of where Christianity "tweaked" Isaiah to give more credibility for supernatural Jesus.

January 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • texas

I happen to know for a fact that the Holy spirit communicates, or angels on a subconscious level, and for me I have experienced it in a supernatural internal revelation. I am not lying to you. I dont have a personal stake in religion. sometimes i wish it was all a lie. but like paul on the road to domasucs , i received numerous revelations about scripture that i was about to read the next day. I was having dreams that were proverbs . the holy spirit has a genius way of communication. and i also experienced demonic revelaton, medium like. i have also received revelation called "word of knowledge" where i received trivial information. I am not a prophet. but do have some sort of spiritual gift. and it is to give me courage to proclaim salvation through the blood of Christ. this is your calling and future... you can not escape reality. none of you can. you must get on your face and knees and repent, and beg for faith and forgiveness. and get in the Word.

January 21, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
    • Pastor Rasaun O. Sheet

HUH! your religion burned people at the stake for daring to say the world was round.

Your religion hatched ID to try and appear relevant as the evidence continues to mount against creationism. ID was hilarious until disclaimers started popping up in Science books in schools in the South.. You people have played a huge role in the US continuing to spiral down in science test scores compared to the rest of the world. Whose the liar? ...:))

January 21, 2013 at 11:32 pm |
    • tallulah13

It's funny how people seem to think that their "revelations" are from god and not from a chemical imbalance. I guess chemical imbalances just aren't as glamorous.

January 21, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
    • Simran

@ tallulah,
      Moreover, when people have to admit they have chemical imbalance, they will have to admit that they are not blessed, but rather diseased. Denial works for people.

January 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • Mayla

Mike's Classic Margaritas make me reveal my underwear, thus I worship glass bottles for they hold the liquid truth.

January 21, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
  11. Theta.459

There are things in this world like murder, child abuse, torture, and worse because this isn't heaven yet. This world isn't perfect, and until Jesus comes back, it won't be. Satan will continue to work in the world, wreaking havoc. Where you spend eternity comes down to just one decision, whether you follow Jesus of the Bible, or Satan. There is no middle ground. Sorry to sound like a preacher, but that is what I believe.

January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • I Am God.

Why are you spamming?

January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • Theta.459

he he oops :P I posted almost the same thing twice. Oh well, I guess it cant be said too many times :)

January 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • tallulah13

I suspect it's because religion has left this person without the ability to form other thoughts. Sad, really.

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Any being that would base ultimate reward or punishment is neither moral or worthy of worship.

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • LinCA

@Theta.459

You said, "Oh well, I guess it cant be said too many time"
      Once is once too many.

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

**on belief**

January 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Lisa

Having beliefs is not what makes one sound like a preacher. Have all the beliefs you want, just keep them to yourselves and don't judge others based on them.

January 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
  12. LVguest

Great information is available for free thinkers from organizations like Americans United for Separation of Church and State, the American Humanist Association, and Student Secular Societies at many colleges.

January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • anagram_kid

LVguest wrote –

Thanks! There is also a foundation called Freedom From Religion. They have some great literature for free thinkers.

January 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
  13. whatever

People, if you believe, then you should have no problem with nonbelievers because they will be reached or not reached according to God's will. Just leave the nonbelievers alone. They get a lot more pressure from society than believers do, BELIEVE me.

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
  14. Theta.459

There are things in this world like murder, child abuse, torture, and worse because this isn't heaven yet. This world isn't perfect, and until Jesus comes back, it won't be. Satan will continue to work in the world, wreaking havoc. Heaven is very real, and I wish that everyone could go there, however not everyone makes that choice. Because really it comes down to just one decision, whether you follow Jesus of the Bible, or Satan. There is no middle ground. Sorry to sound like a preacher, but that is what I believe.

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
  15. JC

I would be lying to my children and denying them the truth and guidance if I didn't tell them about God. Which would never happen. Teaching right from wrong is only half the job of being a parent. But that is a whole other subject.

January 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

You are correct – it is good to tell all children that all gods, and the jesus myth, are bullsh!t.

January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
  16. HUH!

Came in to see, and what do I find?
    Bunch of idiots trying to convince themselves that life is just one big party and then – Nothingness. But, oh, what a jolt of a shock you poor fools will receive! Just wait and see.

January 21, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • James

Ooooh... Scary!

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, gosh, I guess you've died and come back, have you? Got any evidence of your little trip?

Really, dude. Do you think your threats are going to make someone suddenly believe in your sky-daddy? Why?

Are you that good at sales?

January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • HUH!

Piper's Son, this dude knows what he's talking about..... You just go on, keep guessing!
      Cheers!

January 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • waterthrush

Pity the fool whose search for meaning has led to little more than cult fiction (virgin birth and other miracles, a god who tolerates all manner of worldly horrors and injustice, augmented by a basic denial of reality).

January 21, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why should I have to "guess", HUH? If you have the proof, why not show it to everyone? Why pretend it's some big mystery and that only you have the answer?

If you are a Christian, why not present convincing evidence of the existence of your god? After all, aren't you all about saving souls? What better way to save them than to produce incontrovertible evidence that your god exists?

Come on, dude. Ante up or fold.

January 21, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
    • Paul

HUH, it seems that you are being quite spiteful and exerting a fair amount of wrath in your 'wait and see' comment. I believe that Wrath is one of the 7 deadly sins, yes? If non-believers are truly destined for a worse place than believers after death, then I suppose that is something we will all eventually find out. However, the vindictive nature that you exude in asserting your own beliefs in truly frightening and decidedly un-Christian.

January 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • tallulah13

Sorry, Huh. Threats based on mythological stores just don't pack the same punch as they did back when people had no idea what caused the natural phenomena that surrounded them.

January 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm |
    • tallulah13

(argh. Stories, not stores.)

January 21, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
    • sam stone

Wow, HUH!, how convincing

January 22, 2013 at 4:25 am |
    • sam stone

paul: it is because huh! is a vindictive petty pr1ck, and he therefore sees god as a vindictive petty pr1ck. it comforts him/her that god is as much a pr1ck as they are

January 22, 2013 at 4:29 am |
  17. Guest

This woman, is doing a great diservice to her children. God is very real, and running away from Him, is not going to help. He knows everything!

January 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
    • LinCA

Your god is no more likely to exist than the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

January 21, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • HUH!

LinCA – U wanna bet?

January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • James

If he exists, he may think that he knows everything, but how could he be absolutely certain? If something is unknown to him then he obviously isn't aware of it, after all.

January 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • LinCA

@HUH!

You said, "LinCA – U wanna bet?"
      Bring it. Show me your evidence of your god. Prove it exists and you can name your price. Anything.

January 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So this is just one big gamble for you, Huh?

And you think betting on the 'sure thing' will get you a spot in Valhalla? Do you really think your Jesus wants you to believe only if you think you're going to win a spot in heaven?

January 21, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • HUH!

Hey, Piper's son, it is not me who gambles. know the outcome, so my "u wanna bet" is to challenge you. You're the ones who gamble, not really knowing what's ahead. Pretty stupid to live this way, especially for those who think they're so smart.

January 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm |
    • HUH!

Hey, Piper's son, it is not me who gambles. I know the outcome, so my "u wanna bet" is to challenge you. You're the ones who gamble, not really knowing what's ahead. Pretty stupid to live this way, especially for those who think they're so smart.

January 21, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
    • HotAirAce

HUH! When it comes to god and jesus, you *know* nothing – you think you know, you are prentending to know, you are mentally ill or your are a liar. Unless you have some undisputed evidence. . .

January 21, 2013 at 11:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do you really think your Jesus values your gamble, HUH? Do you think he sees you as a true believer when in reality you only believe because it's a 'safe bet'? That you just wanna make sure you get into heaven "just in case" there really IS a a god? Is that what you think "belief" is?

You really ARE that dumb, aren't ya?

January 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Apparently, HUH likes to hedge his bets. He couldn't be absolutely certain that his post went through the first time, so he had to make sure by posting again.

Yeah, I'm sure that "In God HUH trusts."

January 21, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
    • Athy

We'll have to cut him some slack ths time, Tom, Tom. He did make a minor correction in the second post.

January 21, 2013 at 11:53 pm |
    • sam stone

Which god is very real, Guest? There have been thousands man has worshipped

January 22, 2013 at 4:32 am |
    • sam stone

HUH!: if you KNOW the outcome, put your sidearm where your mouth is. jesus is waiting.....

January 22, 2013 at 4:36 am |
  18. vmanc

Believe me, everyone believes in a higher calling and it may not manifest itself until you are in a time of need. I recently returned from Afghanistan and had to patrol on roads full of IED's. Two members of my team professed to not believe in God and would not take part in prayer as we practiced to get ready to go outside the wire. Once we recieved our first official mission and we stood a chance of getting hit by a road side bomb, or sniper attack, both of those guys prayed just as hard as the rest of us. And what was interesting is no one on the team ever said anything to them about it. We all understood.

January 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • tallulah13

So in other words, fear makes people irrational.

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • James

Lots of people in dangerous and high tension professions have good luck charms too. People are superst_itous, that's all.

January 21, 2013 at 11:27 pm |
    • joe

Drill sergeants told me, "there are no Atheists in foxholes", Sergeant airborne said "Atheists don't jump out of planes". Went to Kosovo and got shot at a bit. Still an Atheist.

January 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • sam stone

joe: atheist and recreational skydiver here.

January 22, 2013 at 4:34 am |
  19. virginia

To you all athiest is OK to feel emotions i give you permission to do so...God is withing your emotions even the bad one...like crying....

January 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls

And I give you permission to seek help from a mental health professional to get out of the cult you are in. Azzhole!

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |

God is withing? Huh?

Virginia, did you do a lot of drugs back in the day?

January 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
  20. Theta459

There are things in this world like murder, child abuse, torture, and worse because this isn't heaven yet. This world isn't perfect, and until Jesus comes back, it won't be. Satan will continue to work in the world, wreaking havoc. Heaven is very real, and I wish that everyone could go there, however not everyone makes that choice. Because really it comes down to just one decision, whether you follow Jesus of the Bible, or Satan. There is no middle ground. It is unfortunate how the majority of "Christians" act nowadays, and what they profess to believe. No wonder people tend to look on religion with hostility. Sorry to sound like a preacher, but that is what I believe.

January 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm |
    • I Am God.

If there is a God he isn't going to punish those that don't believe in him, unless those individuals (including Christian) are committing heinous acts like murder and such.

January 21, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
    • LinCA

@Theta459

You said, "Because really it comes down to just one decision, whether you follow Jesus of the Bible, or Satan."
      Satan is equally imaginary.

January 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm |
    • tallulah13

As there is no real evidence to support the existence of god, satan, heaven or hell, I see no reason to worry about religious threats. Sorry.

January 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm |