home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Kim

And, please, quit trying to preach your version of your God on everyone else. I do not want your particular brand of religion taught to my children in school. Remember separation of church and state, and that should apply to all public schools as well. My tax dollars pay for teaching, not preaching.

January 22, 2013 at 1:09 am |
  2. Mayla

In Scientology, when the souls were brainwashed before they were set loose on mankind in it's infancy, WHAT exactly were the souls brainwashed WITH if there had been no history of man yet? Audit! Audit! Audit!

January 22, 2013 at 1:08 am |
  3. Kim

Thank you for being a voice of reason. I was raised Methodist, but choose to be agnostic. It is a choice we all should be able to make, as to which invisible friend we need to help us get through the day.

January 22, 2013 at 1:05 am |
    • lol??

It would be a shock if anybody who hung out with Methodists actually got saved. Try again. This time read first before hookin' up.

January 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
  4. tony

The books of Harry Potter have much better magic. And they are even written in a language that the target audience speaks. So I think he is far more credible as god.

January 22, 2013 at 12:57 am |
    • John

The only God there is, is the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, the one that sent Jesus to die for our sins.

January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • sam stone

john: and you know man is sinful because.....the bible told you so?

January 22, 2013 at 3:51 am |
  5. Hooligan

I am an atheist. I am not apart of some organization that wishes to tell you that you cannot worship.

I am not here to specifically disprove your god.

I merely want you (of ANY faith) to stop teaching scripture as fact and using public funds to do it.

That is all.

January 22, 2013 at 12:52 am |
    • lol??

You forgot, "Dismissed!".

January 22, 2013 at 12:55 am |
    • Burt

thank you for being reasonable. I appreciate your demeanor. I hope you keep an open mind and dont give up on God.

January 22, 2013 at 12:56 am |
    • Hooligan

Burt.. what YOU JUST DID. I specifically told you NOT to do.

So clearly, you can't read.. or are just an @$$ hole.

January 22, 2013 at 12:59 am |
    • Hooligan

No, I didn't forget anything. Don't put words in my mouth you kook.

January 22, 2013 at 1:00 am |
  6. Sam

Well, good. We believe less and less in God. We've finally opened the eyes of these stupid, mentally challenged Christians. Gotten this nonsensical hokum thrown out of public venues and aren't we so much better off now? We're a safer, less violent, kinder, more loving society. People are much happier. Less depressed. More focused on others, instead of being just wrapped up with ourselves. Putting the needs of others first. Families sticking together thru thick and thin. Children growing up more grounded and respectful. Less materialistic. Moraility coming out our ears. Our nation has is SO much better without God in it. Oh, wait.......

January 22, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • The Dr. SN

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. – 2 Tim. 3:1-5

January 22, 2013 at 1:26 am |
  7. Burt

Jesus loves you all, do you know that. You are all special to Him. People of His nest eggs.

January 22, 2013 at 12:49 am |
  8. robertholt

"We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ.
    And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.
    For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.
    Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous.
    He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.
    For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God
    when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood." Romans 3:22-25

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son,
    so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16.

January 22, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • Athy

Oh, stuff it. Stop quoting ancient myths, I'm not buying it. Try some good old rational logic for a change.

January 22, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • fsmgroupie

happy shall he be that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. pslam 137:9

January 22, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • Burt

Believe that your quotes are inscribed on the blessed man as true through the Holy Spirit. He will testify. He came clothed in a robe dipped in blood and They called His name the word of God

January 22, 2013 at 12:52 am |
    • lol??

"ancient myths"? Scientists are now sayin' the race is 400,000 years old. So 2,000 years ago is like this morning.

January 22, 2013 at 12:53 am |
    • fortheloveofgod!

You'd think if there was really a God, he wouldn't have to kill his own son to get the message out. What's the point of being omnipotent if God is so quick to kill his own family members. Not to mention knocking up a non-consenting human female. What crazy plan.

January 22, 2013 at 1:10 am |
  9. Julie

Just because you do not believe in God does not mean He does not exist. Johm 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. Noah was laughed at but by faith he and his family were the only ones saved. The Word declares like in the days of Noah so shall the coming of Man be. The way I read that is people were going about their business as usual with no thought of what was coming and mocked Noah. No one forces anyone to believe but clearly those who do not will be without excuse as surely as I type this Jesus is coming back for His church which are those who truly believe He is Lord and Savior and do not doubt -

January 22, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • Hooligan

Just because a book says god exists.. does not mean he does.

See the logic there?

January 22, 2013 at 12:46 am |
    • tony

He's just one of the least likely explanations for the last 13 Billion years of the Universe always seeming to obey the Laws of Physic, as far as we can tell so far. So obviously you picked that and probably won the lottery several times too.

January 22, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • sam stone

julie: and your belief does not mean that god does exist

January 22, 2013 at 3:55 am |
  10. Mayla

List actual tangible physical attributes of this god.

January 22, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • John

Some of the characteristics of the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, that I have noted, given his being indepent of time, include infinite power, intelligence, speed, patience, love, caring, and quite a few other attributes, including ones I can't comprehend due to the enormity of his creation, and the intensely fine detail within it. God is dynamic in so many directions at once, that I have no scales capable of registering all he can do.

January 22, 2013 at 12:46 am |
    • Mayla

I said PHYSICAL attributes.

January 22, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • Athy

And that convinced you? Man, you're a pushover. Wanna buy a bridge?

January 22, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • John

Mayla, power is a physical characteristic. It takes power to create a universe, galaxy, or solar system for instance.

January 22, 2013 at 1:03 am |
    • Mayla

Power is not a physical characteristic. My lawn mower has power but that doesn't make it something I would worship. Try again. This time PHYSICAL attributes, not supernatural, not emotional, and not perceived psychic abilities.

January 22, 2013 at 1:11 am |
    • John

Mayla, physical characteristics can be measured, for an example of measuring power, look at a power meter outside a residence. To measure power used to create a universe, see E=m*c*c for the energy required to create the matter. The universe has physical matter in it, that required power to create it, by God.

January 22, 2013 at 1:20 am |
    • Mahebb

Physical attirbutes? Not sure why that would be important unless you esteem nature as "god," but I'll play along:

God grew in his mother's womb, was born, was given a name, ate with a mouth, breathed air with lungs, cried tears with tear-ducts, held things with hands, circulated blood with a heart, wasn't a very attractive man, had a body that was wounded to the point of physical death, but had a spirit that caused the body to cancel death. He then took his body and went away, but will return someday soon to his world, which means all of us will get to see him face-to-face. I'm quite looking forward to it myself!

"..in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.""

January 22, 2013 at 1:23 am |
    • Mayla

Again, the lawnmower. Hair? Eyes? What color? How tall? Belly button, innie or outie? Spleen? Blood? Urine? Semen? Anything at all?

January 22, 2013 at 1:29 am |
    • Mahebb

" Hair? Eyes? What color? How tall? Belly button, innie or outie? Spleen? Blood? Urine? Semen? Anything at all?"

What color is my hair, Mayla? Do I even have hair? How tall am I? What kind of belly button do I have? What is my blood type? Do I produce semen, or do I have ovaries? Anything at all?

I guess I must not exist.

"Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation"

January 22, 2013 at 1:37 am |
    • sam stone

john: if we cannot comprehend them, how do you know they exist? and, how can a being without a body have a physical characteristic?

January 22, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  11. AlienShark

You should know that American Atheists, which is a powerful lobby, along with others, pay money for boiler room-type operations around the country to troll these forums and basically have the employees get into character and argue the talking points on the scripts they provide. The second half of their job is to write down the names and whatever personal information they can get about the people who disagree with the agenda of the lobby that is paying them.

January 22, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • tony

Ya got me for free! All the other atheists you are talking about are hiding under your bed and in your closet, with their mikes and cameras.

January 22, 2013 at 12:41 am |
    • Hooligan

We have a lobby?

Why was I not informed of this?

Don't you think a lobby like this would do well to TELL people of like mindedness of it's existed?

January 22, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • AlienShark

tony, now that the political season is over, American Atheists and the Pro-Israel lobby are the highest paying. Amongst the general public, this business is little known, but it is well known amongst lobbies and such. It is a growing business, thriving on the expanding popularity of news forums and social media, and the main reason I dislike it is because the shills that copy paste these agendas also take the information of the people who disagree and send it back to the lobby that is paying their company as part of the job...not to mention that the whole thing is kinda grimy if you think about it.

January 22, 2013 at 12:48 am |
    • AlienShark

hooligan, are you telling me that you aren't smart enough to copy the name of the lobby (I just gave it to you) and type it into your web browser?

January 22, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • Hooligan

Oh I read it.. I would like to also point out that on this website (conscious life news) there was also a pop up add for a spiritual healing class in which you could become a professional spiritual healer.

I think that alone answered what a bunch of bull$h!t you and your source is.

January 22, 2013 at 12:55 am |
    • AlienShark

a quick internet search, (if you know how to do that) will show you all about this little known but thriving business. I like this one particular article for my own reasons, but there is plenty of information out there. Then again, hey, I am not trying to convince you, I am just using your objections to add information for the readers so they can begin to learn how to spot shills quickly.

January 22, 2013 at 1:00 am |
    • UncleBenny

And where exactly in this article does it say anything about atheists? The person cited says "My task? To support Israel and counter anti-Israeli, anti-Semitic posters.”

I could just as easily take a flying leap of logic and say that this proves that Christian trolls are organized in like manner.

January 22, 2013 at 6:11 am |
  12. Noname

This article is not remotely interesting. What is it with some atheists needing everyone to know they're atheists? I don't have any specific religous views and I coudn't care less who knows it. But there's these in-your-face types that need you to know all about their lack of a position on the issue. It's sad and funny. CNN of course keeps this article on the hot burner for a week now. Fits their profile for some reason.

January 22, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • lol??

They do seem to have sicksual identhity problems.

January 22, 2013 at 12:42 am |
    • Callitrichid

Funny, we feel the same about Christians.

January 22, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • sam stone

it fits their profile because they are a moneymaking organization, and traffic makes them money.

January 22, 2013 at 4:02 am |
  13. lol??

A&A's are the born again KKK. Mob rule, AKA Socialists.

January 22, 2013 at 12:35 am |
    • texas

i know they are its freaky, and they are resurrecting a "neandrathal" hear bout that?

January 22, 2013 at 12:40 am |
  14. sunny

thank you so much for sharing, im agnostic jewish and i find it hard to find ppl like us. brainwashing and peer pressure has twisted ppl mind and independent thinking to the point that they wont change an opinion even when presented with facts and logic. its disturbing to live in such a fairytale world... but its a cruel fairytale not something nice or noble.. the ppl that created religion made god in their image, and the were power hungry and low. god help!

January 22, 2013 at 12:32 am |
    • texas

agnostic israeli? what is agnostic jewish?

January 22, 2013 at 12:38 am |
  15. Ting

Sometimes it's easier to choose what you think you know and what the reasonable mind tells us. It takes guts to be outspoken on either side pro God or not believing in God. Thank you for confirming why I do believe in God. Anything to spur the topic though I'm in favor for. It takes both sides to create meaningful engagement...and there wouldn't be Christianity without Judas.

January 22, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • tony

Actually there has been round 250,000 years of human non-christianity. Just over 2000 years of christainity to date. And it's not even the majority religion of the world today. So when you meet your god, expect to be a a 0.001% minority in his heaven.

January 22, 2013 at 12:33 am |
  16. Reality

As good students, you have read the reiterations of the "fems" (flaws, errors, muck and stench) of religion. Therefore the seeds have been planted in rich soil. Go therefore and preach the truth to all nations, reiterating as you go amongst the lost, bred, born and brainwashed souls of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism as Rational Thinking makes its triumphant return all because of you!!!!

January 22, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • John

People of sense trust God. People that know God, understand why you won't find him.

January 22, 2013 at 12:34 am |
    • tony

Like when he wasn't there to stop the Egyptian soldiers the night before he parted the red sea? Must have a prior dinner engagement, so he sent a mist ? Exodus 14.19

January 22, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • Reality

What exodus???

origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482 NY Times review and important enough to reiterate.

New Torah For Modern Minds

“Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. (prob•a•bly
      Adverb: Almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell).

The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years - have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine doc-ument.

The notion that the Bible is not literally true "is more or less settled and understood among most Conservative rabbis," observed David Wolpe, a rabbi at Sinai Temple in Los Angeles and a contributor to "Etz Hayim." But some congregants, he said, "may not like the stark airing of it." Last Passover, in a sermon to 2,200 congregants at his synagogue, Rabbi Wolpe frankly said that "virtually every modern archaeologist" agrees "that the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way that it happened, if it happened at all." The rabbi offered what he called a "LITANY OF DISILLUSION”' about the narrative, including contradictions, improbabilities, chronological lapses and the absence of corroborating evidence. In fact, he said, archaeologists digging in the Sinai have "found no trace of the tribes of Israel - not one shard of pottery."

January 22, 2013 at 7:32 am |
  17. Rich

bacon is very tasty

January 22, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • snowboarder

i kid you not, a very jewish friend of mine said that bacon is a gift from god.

no everyone is ignorant enough to take everything at face value.

January 22, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • tallulah13

Freaky! I just mentioned the "bacon factor" on another page. I must be a prophet!

January 22, 2013 at 12:30 am |
    • lol??

Whether a thing comes to pass is not the question in prophecy. A false prophet turns people against the One and True God.

January 22, 2013 at 12:49 am |
    • tallulah13

Bacon, lol. Bacon.

January 22, 2013 at 2:42 am |
  18. Snc735

I am delighted to hear that there are women who are godless. It seems every female I know in the area I live are completely brainwashed by the local churches. I have never quite understood how any woman could follow such patriarchal relgions such as Islam and Christianity. When i present the ways that all these major world religions have basically rated women as less than men they just don't believe it. It frustrates me to no end to see women who are okay with this in their religion.

January 22, 2013 at 12:20 am |
  19. Jianjian Song

Liberty is free to choose and one can choose to believe and not to believe in anything. A government should not force its people to believe in a religion or so called non-religion, including atheism, which by itself is also a religion.

January 22, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • Kim

Saying that atheism is a religion is like saying that not being superst_itious is, in itself, a superst_ition.

January 22, 2013 at 12:21 am |
    • Nacho

If atheism is a religion, then not playing any sport is a sport too. I could say in the same way that, if you don't believe in astrology, then you are part of the "non astrologers" religion

January 22, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • tony

atheism is a lack of religion. It's the way babies are up to the years before they can be brainwashed, and how everyone reverts back to at their moment of death.

January 22, 2013 at 12:29 am |
    • texas

athiesm is an organized religion.

January 22, 2013 at 12:34 am |
    • Kim

"Organized", how, tex?

January 22, 2013 at 12:36 am |
    • texas

obvious heirarchy of principalities.

January 22, 2013 at 12:43 am |
    • texas

I love you all goodnight. have a great evening. hope everyone has a great week.

January 22, 2013 at 12:46 am |
    • Kim

You mean, like the angels, tex? Nope, we're egalitarian in that there are no "super atheists", or leaders. There are a couple of famous spokespeople, but nobody tells us what to believe, or do. Can you say the same?

January 22, 2013 at 12:50 am |
  20. Nietodarwin

Only the religious hold OUR species in such high regard. They don't believe in the rights of other "animals"

"We're really just another species
    Long on brains, and full of feces.
    A hopeful bunch of brainy beasties
    and we are in control." (My lyrics, ba ha ha ha)

January 22, 2013 at 12:16 am |