home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • Faith Now • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. HotAirAce

Anyone know where JustTheFactsNot is? This sorry excuse for a delusional brain dead believer still owes us some of the plenty of evidence for his god and the jesus myth. I suspect his mommy took away his computer privileges. . .

January 22, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • captain america

Since you are not one of US the last we checked we the people of the USA don't owe YOU jack schitt. There's your sign

January 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
    • OTOH

captain america,

How do you know that @JustTheFacts is from the U.S.? hmmmmm....

January 22, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • captain america

The point is f.art air isn't, by the way since you're kissing it how does that foreign butt taste to you. There's your sign

January 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
  2. burt

i wrote this yesterday but noone noticed it was at the bottom. but this stray cat came to my back porch, a little white kitten with distemper. it was all shaking, but still purring. and friendly. that was the only time id ever seen it, live out in the country. that night i had a dream that i was in a forest and it was dark and snowing. so i saw a cabin and knocked on the door and a lady opened it and said i could stay there. she had two kids, and one was dead, whos spirit started singing to me in a demonic voice. my body inverted in the air, i was hanging there and the kitten ran underneath me with blood gushing out of it. I woke up freaked out, and went outside and it was ran over at the end of my driveway on the highway.

that was an eye opening spiritual experience.

January 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Christo

you may have overheard the cat getting killed in a certain stage of sleep where you can design your dreams. Happens to me all the time. I'll hear the TV in the background and subconsciously dream about the show that is on..

January 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

OK, M. Night, we give up – when's the movie being released.

January 22, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Austin

the highway is 550 feet from my door. im sorry this speaks for its self. this is real. that happened and it is something involving a spiritual realm of spirits. i had someone tell me i should be put in a mental ward. but all i did was have a dream and experience the reality of the cat .

January 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Bet

@ burt/Austin

Are you having trouble keeping your socks straight?

January 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Austin

if you look down under my "austin" post about the dreams as i read through the old tertament, austin my real name, I will just let you know that when I hear about people who are lost and proud to reject God, and are going to keep it out of their kids heads. bearing in mind that 90% of kids who dont get saved by 12 years old never do, and knowing Jesus loved kids and said we have to have the "faith of a child" who trusts what they hear about Him, going through what i have with the dreams and being called makes me passionate for the truth. I have experienced it. I HATED christians "in the world but not of the world?" "put off your flesh live by the spirit" sounds oppressive.! but God is real. im here to tell ya.

January 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Christo

well your imaginary friend sure has peculiar ways of manifesting himself. You'd think he wouldn't be so creepy about it. How about popping up to save some school children?!?

January 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • Saraswati

Very sorry to hear about the cat.

January 22, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
  3. Christo

I asked a very devout Christian friend of mine about global warming. I said, you know I don't know much about it but whether we are heating up the Earth or not, we should study it and act on the side of caution because we can't afford to be wrong. He said, "it doesn't matter because we're all gonna end up in a better place someday". Comforting eh?

January 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • Athy

Don't ask a devout Christian anything. That's where you went wrong.

January 22, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
    • Austin

I go to church and i know people who act like that and i want to smack em, like people who dont care and think the earth is for human consumption. the problem is, i am in the lawn care business. live in the midwest. and i live off fertilizing peoples yard, installing sprinklers so they can water, grow faster, mow every week......it doesnt seem smart either. what do you think?

January 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Christo

everybody has to earn a living, your line of work isn't good for the air but a necessary evil to keep neighborhoods looking good and property values up. Good job being self employed, they can't send your job to India! Indians don't do yard work.

January 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

Sounds like noisy neighborhoods during the growing months, Austin. But I'm glad that you have work – and I'm glad that you seem to respect the planet.

January 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • Susan StoHelit

It's like being on a lifeboat – and half of the people on the boat want it to sink! Scary stuff.

January 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  4. Gabriel

Oh, no!
    I'm approaching the event horizon!
    The point of no return!
    I must escape this black hole–this viper pit of insanity –while there is still a chance to do so!

January 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  5. Archibald Smythe-Pennington, III

All quiet on the "truth be told" front. What does it take the Chad to drive home, about a half hour?

January 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Bet

It all depends on whether his mom picks him up on time or not.

January 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • sam

Sometimes they stop at the Gas and Sip for hot dogs on the way home.

January 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
    • truth be told

I am not chad nor do i know a chad but thanks for adding another proof to the Truth that atheists lie all the time.

January 22, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • Bet

@ truth be told

Your post might make more sense if it was relevant to this discussion, but probably not.

January 23, 2013 at 2:02 am |
  6. Lori

You're the buffoon if you think I'm a buffoon for expressing something I know is true.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    All you people do is call people names for the most irrational and unreasonable of reasons.

January 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

Who is this idiot talking to – herself?

January 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • sam

I love that the best Lori-Andy can do now is "I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I".

January 22, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
    • Austin

something i experienced was when i was reading through the old testament in my time of need, I started having dreams about scripture that i was not familiar with, the night before i read it. i started writing my dreams down, and kept reading straight through the o.t. and the holy spirit was revealing pictures of the stuff i was going to be reading the next day . the holy spirit is a sanctifying spirit that bears the truth on someones heart, and when you receive a literal testimony from the Holy Spirit, you realize that you have been called into the light of Christ. Angels are ministering spirits, so they could have played a role in it. Jehovah Shammah the Lord is There

January 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm |

O_O

January 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Christo

everybody turns to God in "time of need". Anyone ever turn to God when things are A-OK? Rarely.

January 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Bet

@ Christo

No, you turn to god in time of need. I don't.

January 22, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
  7. ¿¿lol

from religioustolerance.org:

+ + + + +
    Satan did it to deceive: Various early church writers, such as Irenaeus (Bishop of Lyons; circa 120 CE to ?) Justin Martyr (Christian apologist; 100 to 165), Tertullian (Christian theologian; circa 160 to 220 +) concluded that the Pagan/Christian similarities were a Satanic attempt at "diabolical mimicry." Satan was said to have use "plagiarism by anticipation." That is, the Devil made a pre-emptive strike against the gospel stories centuries before Jesus was born. The reason was to confuse the public into thinking that Jesus was merely a copy of previous god-men. The goal was to demolish the credibility of Christianity in the people's eyes.
    + + + + +

LOL. So the early apologists explained away plagiarism by early Christians (of Pagans, and there was a LOT of it) by saying it was a pre-emptive strike by satan?? LMAO!

January 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Craig

thats what happened. so when you witness demonic activity it becomes a lot easier to believe. if you dont believe in satan he wont persecute you. he leaves you alone. he already has victory over you at the moment. start wondering about things and he is going start messing around with your frequency and receiver.

January 22, 2013 at 6:49 pm |

Comedy gold!

January 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Bet

That Satan, always one step ahead of The Man!

January 22, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
    • ¿¿lol

Gosh the early apologists got off easy on that one. ("Here, son, you don't have to look into anything or be embarrassed – just use this script right here – it comes straight from some folks who put together 'the word'")

January 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
  8. Lori

"if you have to resort to threats, it indicates that your argument is weak"
    Not necessarily.
    Police resort to threats all the time when dealing with criminals. For example: "Stop or I'll shoot!"
    Their argument against crime is not weak.
    (Just another truth to be viciously attacked by someone who would rather benefit from lies.)

January 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Do you have a point? Who are you responding to?

January 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • sam

Andy got a sex change? That was fast. Can you find yourself a drive-through lobotomy center, too?

January 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
    • Bet

@ sam

Apparently so. Unfortunately, it didn't improve his/her ability to use the reply function.

January 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
  9. wow......

Moore 1:1

Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
    Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
    The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
    In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
    The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
    While visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads

January 22, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • wow......

Oh wow! will He soon be Here With loTs of presents?

January 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Craig

sam, are you done talking? i dont want to interrupt.

January 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
    • OTOH

Craig,

Nice to see that you have a sense of humor (even if you did post in the wrong spot - I get it).

January 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
  10. Lori

I see that atheists are now the new Sweat Hogs.
    What a noble existence.

January 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • sam

You shut your whore mouth while the atheists are talking!

January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • God's honest truth

Fundie tag team today. Lori, Craig, Deborah, ... probably all the same fool.

January 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • katie

Looks like lionly stole sam's name based on the fem rant

January 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • Lori

"if you have to resort to threats, it indicates that your argument is weak"
      Not necessarily.
      Their argument against crime is not weak.

January 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
    • katie

Lori, that might make sense if someone were really arguing with you. Since there was nothing of any real substance in your post, you've just made a bigger buffoon of yourself.

January 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • sam stone

And believers are still the same snivelling sycophants

January 23, 2013 at 4:39 am |
  11. Craig

Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely He has borne our griefs
    And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. 700 BC messianic prophecy adam and eve sinned and hid themselves. do we hide from God? is that our nature? are we hiding from the truth. He will find you.

January 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • wow......

there we go!

January 22, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • violet

Why does he keep capitalizing "He"? Does the word filter forbid "B a r r y M a n i l o w"?

January 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Huh, I was thinking Neil Diamond?

January 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
    • sam

He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...

January 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm |

Peter Frampton.

January 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
    • violet

But is Peter Frampton rejected and despised by men?

January 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • sam

Lo, Peter Frampton is despised and rejected by men; not all men, but some men; these men that despise him are forsaken by girlfiends, yea, who have sullied themselves with choosing to gift The Frampton with their underthings at concerts past. For He did Come Alive and the Baby Did Love His Way.

January 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • OTOH

Craig,

Guess what? Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, or the others who wrote under those names, read (or heard recited) the Book of Isaiah and the rest of those old-time 'prophecies'. So easy to include them in their stories, for which there is no other authentication or verification, except for a bit of hearsay.

January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
    • violet

LOL @sam

January 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  12. wow......

Insert bible verse here as if its evidence of something

January 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • sam

insert rebuttal comment refuting content of bible quote

January 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • wow......

cry and claim the rebuttal was mean because it was logical and backed by actual evidence

January 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
    • sam

comment further re OPs lack of big boy pants

January 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Chuckles

insert my own opinion that has nothing to do with the post.

Insult wow......

January 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
    • sam

Quote song lyrics; insist they have more import and meaning than the bible quote

January 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Bet

Post under a new name agreeing with yourself.

January 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
  13. Craig

just joking sam its ok.

January 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm |

LOL

January 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Craig

i wonder what the neandrathal baby will think. i cant wait

January 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • sam

"Bread, good. Fire, bad."

January 22, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • Craig

I wonder if they have any serrogate volunteers yet i bet do. that baby is going to have alot of attention.

January 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • Craig

that would be crazy being that baby growing up realizing you were an experiment from a species 40.000 years ago.

January 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • wow......

@ Craig

According to people with great knowledge of nothing the universe is 6000 years old so that is impossible

January 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Craig

speed of light fluctuation, gravity field fluctuation, not a constant model like every one assumes. we allraedy know that the magnetic pole shifted. who knows... I trust the way the Holy Spirit reveals himself within the heart. its something that you pretty much have to go through to believe and not be offended by it, come to a point where you understand the desperate need for it . humble and broken

January 22, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

I'm sure you intended to make a point with all that writing, Craig, but you managed to avoid it.

January 22, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
    • Craig

during noahs flood, if the presence of God hovered over the water., and God, in an attribute of radiant light, ( since moses was aged when he came down from the mountain (grey hair)), then the radio active decay rate of uranium or carbon could have been accelerated. when is an athiest going to think outside the box? He puts light where it belongs, and shines in our hearts in the face of Jesus Christ because He commands it to be so.

January 22, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Craig

during noahs flood, if the presence of God hovered over the water, in an attribute of radiant light, ( since moses was aged when he came down from the mountain (grey hair)), then the radio active decay rate of uranium or carbon could have been accelerated. when is an athiest going to think outside the box?

January 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

yeah, Craig, that must be it. How could we have missed it?

January 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
  14. Andy2(Craig)

maggots on a cow.......UNITE US ZEUS!

January 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Andy2(Craig)

adorable? Sam, is not an athiest what is he?

January 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
  15. Andy

Now I see why there is such widespread contempt for atheists.
    My experience here has proven to me that it is warranted.

January 22, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • sam

What's adorable is that you think everyone who's disagreeing with you is atheist. You're wrong.

How high is that horse, anyway? Did you need a ladder?

January 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • mocking intercessor

Dude believes a CNN comment section is proof of anything....sad.

January 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • Tod

sam
      To a born again all other Christians might as well be atheists, because they sure don't believe in the same God that they do, right?

January 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Moby Schtick

Awwwww. Are you mad that you don't have any proof? If your god is invisible and undetectable by any reliable, verifiable method, then don't get mad when people don't believe in him. Just be thankful for those that do believe without any reason to. M'kay?

January 22, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Bet

Crybaby.

If you're going to come on to a public forum and post nonsense and misinformation, expect to get your ass handed to you, bubbie.

January 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • sam

@Tod – you have a point there.

January 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • End Religion

Andy, you mean widespread hatred in your loving religious compound?

January 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

So you post contemptuous comments about atheists and because they respond in kind, atheists are the spawn of satan. Look in the mirror Andy (or whichever handle you post under next).

January 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • Lori

I see that atheists are now the new Sweat Hogs.
      What a noble existence.

January 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Epstein's Mother

Lori, please excuse all the atheists. They had too much baloney for dinner last night and are feeling too queasy to come to Bible school today.

Signed, Epstein's Mother

January 22, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Andy

Was that supposed to be clever or something?
    You seem to thrive on your hatred of Christianity like maggots on a dead cow.
    What you said was not true, and it can be scientifically proven not to be true, ironically enough.

January 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

I have no idea what you are talking about, because its evident you dont know how to use the reply button, but please please please show us this scientific evidnece for whatever it is you are talking about.

January 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • sam

Go to CNN.com and fill out the Butthurt Report.

January 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • the AnViL

sam lolz

January 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • sam

Haha, $10 says he's looking for it right now.

January 22, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • the AnViL

sam – all joking aside, it's almost guaranteed that there is someone out there, right now... reading this...
      who wants to put a bullet in my head, and yours... and a lot of others who post regularly.

srsly – they mad

January 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • sam

I've always liked to think that the madder someone gets, the worse their aim is. May as well keep them frothing at the mouth until someone comes along to put a straitjacket on 'em.

January 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • End Religion

Andy, some helpful tips: The "mouse" is not an animal. It controls the cursor movement on-screen. It does not belong on the floor. It's "The Internet" not "my internets". Al Gore did not invent it. The Earth revolves around the Sun. And there is a "reply" link beneath each post so we know what the hell you're talking about.

January 22, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • sam stone

i got no hate of christianity. i have an extreme dislike of pompous jacka$$es. judging by your comment, you fall into the latter category

January 23, 2013 at 4:44 am |
    • sam stone

the Anvil: on another story, a person posting under the name "Canadian" said they wanted to meet me face to face. i did not think it a friendly comment

January 23, 2013 at 4:46 am |
  17. the AnViL

one would think people would be thankful to learn the truth, that there are no gods.

you'd think they'd be relieved and happy... but nooooooooooooooo

all the tears... the grief.....

it's so sad when these primates reject the truth.

January 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  18. Andy

If name-calling is being mean, then atheists are mean.

January 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

Mean atheists dont prove your god exists.

January 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • End Religion

What if the name suits you, like "Andy" or "simpleton"?

January 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  19. Andy

Atheists are the ones doing all of the name-calling in here: stupid, mentally-handicapped, and a host of other adjectives on this blog.

January 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
    • ReligionIsBS

And you're the one posting under 2 names Andy. Or should I say Craig? LOL

January 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Automatic Translator for Andy

"YOUR ALL BIG MEANIES."

January 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • Bet

You've posted lies and misinformation, but get all sniffly when someone points it out? Boo hoo, grow a pair.

January 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
    • sam stone

andy: and theists are the ones issuing the empty proxy threats. "believe in jeebus, or burn for eternity"......what fvcking drivel

January 23, 2013 at 4:49 am |
  20. the AnViL

if all the citizens of the united states were to embrace xianity – it could make this country what it once was...
    a barren wasteland, covered in ice.

January 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm |