home
RSS
Godless mom strikes a chord with parents
January 18th, 2013

Godless mom strikes a chord with parents

By Daphne Sashin, CNN

Then, she says, the recruiting started.

It starts:

Others said Mitchell presented a simplistic view of religion.

She ended her essay:

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Christianity • iReport

soundoff (15,081 Responses)
  1. Katy

Out of 650,000 only "hundreds" expressed a likewise view while thousands expressed either outrage or counterpoint, yet CNN posts a response full of crazy childhood memories and tornados not based on fact for the pure purpose of putting, once again, faith on the side of the fringe lunatic... The bias and intended message is crystal clear. I am renewing my efforts to get my news and views elsewhere even if it requires more effort. Boo to you CNN, not because I am a religious but because you guys are often inaccurate, misleading and most decidedly partial to out stream ideology.

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • Luis Wu

Please do go elsewhere, and take your ignorant superst!tions with you.

January 19, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • Luis Wu

And to me, it appears that the vast majority of comments here are in favor of her.

January 19, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Katy

The articles own writing states these numbers of support – not me. Wishing really hard doesn't make it so Luis. The fact is, people of faith are majority in America despite how angry that makes you. The real question should be about the responsibilities or not or parents to prepare their children for a world that doesn't reflect their views not this lazy deferral of the question for their kids to tackle when they are on their own. But perhaps this is the blessing in disguise...

January 19, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Katy, who cares how many nitwits oppose this woman's views? Doesn't make their opinions anything but opinions.

January 19, 2013 at 9:24 am |
    • JWT

perhaps she is preparing her children for a world where believers outnumber non-believers but that does not need to include a belief in god or the cultural history of such belief.

January 19, 2013 at 9:25 am |
    • Earl

Katy, this lady is a part of a growing segment of the population, as numbers in every Christian denomination are declining in attendence (and therefore relevence). This may upset you, as your faith is obviously what you structure your life on and around. You can go elsewhere to get your news, but this article was presented objectively and eventually this reality will have to be addressed. You can ignor it for as long as you wish, but if it your wish that the population become more faithful, you'd be better served becomeing a better evangelist that is not blind to the realiy of the task in front of them.

January 19, 2013 at 9:29 am |
    • Al Russell

Because being in the majority means that only you should have the right to be heard? That "hundreds" of others shouldn't have that same right? This is why many of us simply stop listening to folks like you. Your hypocrisy is so deafening that it drowns out anything reasonable you might have to say.

January 19, 2013 at 9:36 am |
  2. blake

More promotion of atheistic secular humanism by the far left folks at CNN. 20% of America is non-religious, that means that 80% believe in God.

January 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • Luis Wu

Yes, 80% of Americans don't think.

January 19, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • GoodWitchPA

80% believe in a god, not necessarily a Judeo-Christian variety. Those of us who don't shouldn't have it forced on us. Ours is just as valid an opinion as yours. That's all that's being said here, both by the author, and by CNN by publishing it. That's all.

January 19, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Earl

While 20% may have some degree of belief in God, you have to agree that a good portion of those do so because of the tradition and/or teachings passed down in their families. It is certainly not that way as a result of God manifesting Himself to anyone or being able to see Him in the works of others. I don't know how old you are, but as the declining numbers continue to slip in every Christian denomination, you will see this segment grow and become more relevant and vocal in the coming years and their voice will have an influence on all social and government policy. I'd be wary to not dismiss this as some liberal infatuation, it will be very realvery soon.

January 19, 2013 at 9:22 am |
    • Al Russell

More hysterical hyperbole from the Christian sector. Are you honestly trying to say that CNN is promoting ATHEISM? They have an entire section on CNN called CNN "FAITH" with Belief Blogs! It's sad that your fear of having your beliefs challenged is so intense that you fail to see reality. Personally, I'd like to see more objective reporting. Where's our Agnostic Daily Report? Yeah, I can just hear the cacophony of panicked screeches from people like you if that were to happen. Why is it that, while you profess so loudly that you will be proven right in the end, you are so threatened by exposure to alternate beliefs? I'm not afraid to listen to your point of view. Why are you so terrified to hear mine?

January 19, 2013 at 9:26 am |
    • Gir

And people wonder why this country is circling the toilet bowl.

January 19, 2013 at 9:47 am |
    • sam stone

oooh....far left......

shove your bible up your rectum, blake

January 19, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Ms. Pink

Yes, the majority of Americans, 80% believe in God. That leaves 20% of us non-believers. That means that there is about ten times more non-believers than Jewish Americans and almost double non-believers in comparison to African-Americans. Thre are about 25 percent more non-believers than hispanics. None of these groups are marginalized in the way that non-believers are marginalized in the US. It is not acceptable with our social norms to speak out hateful words against one of these groups as a whole, so why is it still accepatable to speak out against non-believers which makes up about 1 out of five persons in the US, and that number climbs to almost 1 out of 3 if we only consider those under the age of 30.

You cannot contiue to pretend that the voice of 20% of people in this country does not matter.

January 21, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  3. chentwinks

I was raised Catholic–it was shoved down my throat and I didn't realize how much I resented that until I became an adult and had a choice. It was a gradual process for me, but I am now atheist.

Religion was not discussed when I was raising my kids (now 14, 17, 19). I never imposed my beliefs (or lack of) on my children, as my parents did to me. The result is that my daughter and I are Atheists. My boys are both non-denominational Christians. My husband is Agnostic. We are happy, GOOD people, and we accept and support one another even though we have various beliefs. I used to feel guilty for not raising my children with religion, but now I'm glad I gave them the choice that I didn't have.

One of the best things that's come out of my journey is that I am so much more open-minded than I was as a strict Catholic. There are so many fascinating religions and cultures out there that I would never have accepted or learned about, because I was taught that Catholicism is the ONLY true religion. I have a friend who is Hindu. She knows I'm atheist, yet she will happily explain her customs to me, and patiently answer all my questions. I am not against religion. I just think it should be kept personal. Everyone should have something that feeds his or her inner-being and gives a sense of peace and love, whether that is God, Buddha, or nature.

January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • Jack piyatu

So u have one thing in common with your friend"....
      One one hand we have an atheist...some one who believes that the universe just came into being all by Itself ..
      One the other hand we have your friend..a Hindu who worships cows,chimpanzees,elephants...
      Is this a club of idiots?

January 19, 2013 at 9:14 am |
    • chentwinks

@jack – I believe everyone has a choice. You can be mean or you can be kind. I choose to be kind, not in the name of any religion, but kind in the name of humanity. I don't care if a friend of mine worships cow dung. If she is a good person, and kind to others, that is what matters.

January 19, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Al Russell

Jack: Do you honestly want to get into a discussion about the silly things promoted by religion? Actually, never mind. It's just not worth it...

January 19, 2013 at 9:31 am |
  4. Tim

Religion is like underwear...people should be able to 'wear' any size, shape, color or type of underwear they want...or not wear any at all. I just don't want to hear about it or see it flashed about everywhere.

January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • Lemaitre

I guess you could say that about all beliefs . . .political, social, musical, etc. Why doesn't everyone keep all beliefs and opinions to themselves?

January 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
  5. Syd

If we can worry less about counting on or pleasing an invisible giant in the sky and worry more about actual tangible problems we can see, hear and feel, we'd have a lot fewer problems to see, hear and feel.

January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
  6. scott

grow up u religious people. the bible is a fairytale.

January 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
  7. Eric Hanson

We each get to pick our own path. My favorite words on the subject:

"If the Lord is telling you what to do that's fantastic. If the Lord is telling you to tell me what to do then we're going to have a problem." -Cheryl Wheeler

January 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • zeyn2010

Good one!

January 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • Daniel

Niiiiiice! Pithy.

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • It is Called

Seperation of Church and State
      Creation/ID can't be taught in public schools as fact. CLUE.
      New science standards for 2013 created by 26 states a majority ! Stem standards.

NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial – PBS

Thank you to the National Centre For Science Education (NCSE) for providing this information.

Please Subscribe To The NCSE Youtube Channel!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

In this two-hour special, NOVA captures the turmoil that tore apart the community of Dover, Pennsylvania in one of the latest battles over teaching evolution in public schools. Featuring trial reenactments based on court transcripts and interviews with key participants, including expert scientists and Dover parents, teachers, and town officials, "Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial" follows the celebrated federal case of Kitzmiller v. Dover School District. This program was coproduced with Paul G. Allen's Vulcan Productions, Inc.
      Category
      Education

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hTZ5AYzs8o&w=640&h=390]

January 19, 2013 at 9:38 am |
  8. JJ

I loved this article and what the author had to say about her thought process in raising her children. I could not agree with her more and appreciate her courage in writing it. I'm sure she knew it would paint a target on her back, and she did it anyway. I salute her. I only wish reason had some small role in in the opposition voiced by others. Too much to ask I suppose, but times are changing. We who are moral, compassionate and kind who do not believe in what most religions teach about "God", live our lives with character, in spite of everything the majority of the world might think of us. Nothing polices us, except that fundamental belief in what feels true to who we are. As Lincoln once said "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion".

January 19, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • Daniel

Exaclty on point. We are lucky that we are raising our children in a community where no one seems to care that they are being raised without religion. I see that others are not so lucky.

January 19, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Al Russell

Very well said JJ. I was going to post much the same thing, but I think you said it better than I would have.

January 19, 2013 at 9:40 am |
  9. Ivy

I give this woman respect for her beliefs and how she is raising her children. I'm a mother myself and have been questioned by family why we don't go to church and why I don't baptize my son and to honest I am not raising him make th choice when he is older whether to believe in god or not. And I don't have him believing in Santa either...he knows my husband and I are the gift givers. So good for her for sticking to raising her children as SHE chooses and not how society wants everyone to be. Every religion thinks they are the right one and everyone else in a different religion is wrong. Religion trys to control the world and politics and is down right stupid.

January 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Ivy

Correction: *meant I am allowing my son to make the choice of believing in god or not when he is older.....NOT because I said he has to.

January 19, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • Lemaitre

Translation = my husband and I are lazy. We don't really know what we believe or what we don't believe and are too apathetic to find out. One thing we do know for sure, we don't believe in a God that places any demands on our time, money, or moral convictions.

January 19, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

"Translation = my husband and I are lazy"

Properly put it would be that they are good parents who are doing the right thing by bot indoctrinating and filling their children's developing minds with 2000 year unchanging stories that have very little fact behind them...written only to control the masses.

January 19, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

bot=not

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 am |
    • Lemaitre

Oh, their children's brains are being filled with plenty of controlling messages and philosophies, believe me.

January 19, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Tom LI

Respect...not something Believers seem to be taught much about. IMO, its that the term FAITH has been changed to mean Factual. Believers, American Xtians in this case, argue from a place they think, rather believe is now FACTUAL in all regards and no longer has anything to do with what FAITH really means.

Respect...something the Religious demand of others all day and night – but not something they willingly give to others who do not align to their beliefs. Usually they must be forced into a tenuous form of toleration, that they deem Satanic and an agreement they can break when they see fit.

January 19, 2013 at 9:11 am |
  10. John

Not only do they reject God, but they stand in the way of others trying to find him, and then laugh at them if they do. What a shock it will be.

January 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • sam stone

what a shock what will be?

January 19, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • Luis Wu

Why would anyone want to find an imaginary, invisible, supernatural fairytale being in the sky? Only dimwits would.

January 19, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • rini6

?? In the article a woman particularly mentioned that she wanted to let people worship in anyway that they wanted to. She just wanted to be left alone. I don't see how any of these women interfered with others' beliefs other than the fact that they didn't lie and were open about their beliefs. Those of us without faith should not feel as if we cannot speak. We are allowed to have an opinion.

January 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
  11. joedog

Interesting posts. God fearing people fear and dismiss Godless folks and Godless folks belittle God fearing folks. I am usually ambivalent about atheists, except when they become unbearable whiners about their supposed intellectual superiority. Believers, who prosteltize can be boring, even pedantically so; but atheists recently are acting more like facisti.

January 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Chris

it must feel great to be so superior to all of us!

January 19, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • Graham

Dictionary.com defines a fascist as "a person who is dictatorial or has extreme right-wing views". Atheists do not have any political clout and therefore cannot be dictatorial, nor do we have extreme right-wing views. I agree that my fellow atheists can be smug, but c'mon, fascist? That's extreme. You make a good point that is based in reality, don't derail it by using hyperbolic and incorrect name-calling.

January 19, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • someguy

Are you kidding? People with no religious beliefs have been inundated by preaching, conversion attempts, exclusion, mockery, and downright violence forever. And now you have the nerve to call those who are finally speaking up for themselves and saying "just leave us alone" fascists? Here's a tip for you: Trying to impose YOUR morals, whatever they may be, onto others is fascist. Trying to get people to accept you for who you are and not persecute you for your beliefs most certainly is not.

January 19, 2013 at 9:13 am |
    • visitor

A lot of non religious people have a huge hangover from years of listening to frankly very very fact free religious people.

Try listening to a child telling you that she doesn't need to learn evolution in school, because she doesn't believe in it.

January 19, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  12. Itsdark4u

RED VS. BLUE AHGHHHHHHAHHAHAHHAGAGGAGA GET THEM AHAHHAHHA! way to go cnn

January 19, 2013 at 8:57 am |
  13. Chris T.

Look at the face of a child when they are sleeping at night. If you can't feel God's love at that moment then your soul is dead.

January 19, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

That's not definitive of a basic human emotion. As for a soul, no we don't have soul's because they, much like your god, can't be shown to exist outside of the stories told.

January 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • Dr Reid Richards

That may be the creepiest thing I've ever read.

January 19, 2013 at 9:02 am |
    • Graham

Chris, I'm sure it was a honest mistake on your part, but when you tell people who disagree with your views "Your soul is dead", you are unlikely to receive a positive response. I assume you want people to agree with your worldview, so I'd start by being understanding, compassionate, and forgiving. Kind of like Jesus. I'm pretty sure he didn't go around telling people their souls were dead.

January 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Brad

Can I not just feel love for my child without God having to be a part of it? And if someone does not believe that a god is involved, they probably don't believe in a soul anyway. In that case, you are correct.

January 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Mike

My goodness....are your serious?

January 19, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Jesus

Look at the face of a dead child who starved or was murdered or abused. Do you feel gods love then?

January 19, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • It is Called

@Chris T.
      It is Called education
      just one source.
      Best thing to do is take a simple blood test go figure !!!

Published on Jan 15, 2013

Over 60,000 years ago, the first modern humans—people physically identical to us today—left their African homeland and entered Europe, then a bleak and inhospitable continent in the grip of the Ice Age. But when they arrived, they were not alone: the stocky, powerfully built Neanderthals had already been living there for hundred of thousands of years. So what happened when the first modern humans encountered the Neanderthals? Did we make love or war? That question has tantalized generations of scholars and seized the popular imagination. Then, in 2010, a team led by geneticist Svante Paabo announced stunning news. Not only had they reconstructed much of the Neanderthal genome—an extraordinary technical feat that would have seemed impossible only a decade ago—but their analysis showed that "we" modern humans had interbred with Neanderthals, leaving a small but consistent signature of Neanderthal genes behind in everyone outside Africa today. In "Decoding Neanderthals," NOVA explores the implications of this exciting discovery. In the traditional view, Neanderthals differed from "us" in behavior and capabilities as well as anatomy. But were they really mentally inferior, as inexpressive and clumsy as the cartoon caveman they inspired? NOVA explores a range of intriguing new evidence for Neanderthal self-expression and language, all pointing to the fact that we may have seriously underestimated our mysterious, long-vanished human cousins.

January 19, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Ron

Better yet, try looking at the faces of the thousands of innocent children all over the world who are abused, abandoned, or starving. I guess god doesn't love them quite as much.

January 19, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • Luis Wu

@It is called – White slave owners bred with slave women too.

January 19, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • visitor

Apparently you need a Male God Figure to tell you love is OK and feel love. You really ought to get in touch with your feminine side. Try it, you don't need permission from a Male God Figure to love. You can do it, all on your own!

January 19, 2013 at 9:33 am |
    • Alicia

Are you kidding me? I have never once felt that. I look at my beautiful sleeping children every night and sigh with happiness that my husband and I brought these beautiful children into the world and are raising them with so much love. The are my world and heart and soul, and everything good about them comes from me and their father, not a god of any sort.

January 19, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  14. LC

Now that makes sense...Catholicism and Christianity or VERY different. I'm Christian, and knowing what I do about Catholics I can understand where her disbelief comes from, but she probably shouldn't lump us all together....

January 19, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • Lemaitre

What do you know about Catholicism? Name three central dogmas?

January 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Mike

It is all from the same book that was written and re-written many many times........in the end they all have a central premise which has been perverted over many years.

January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • Chris

As an atheist, I've found protestants like you to be far more annoying and likely to prosletyze than Catholics

January 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
      • LC

As a Christian, I find atheist like you to be far more annoying that the ones who just look at my comment, disagree, and keep it moving with their lives....

January 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • TF

There's only one dogma he needs to know. If you're a Catholic priest and you molest children, you will get shuffled around to another diocese indefinitely until the media, a parent, or the victim comes forward.

January 19, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • Luis Wu

Ancient mythology is still ancient mythology no matter what label you put on it.

January 19, 2013 at 9:19 am |
      • LC

Unless you can prove that it's only a myth, that statement is strictly opinion and not fact.

January 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • visitor

Catholicism IS Christianity.

What a self-centered person you are.

January 19, 2013 at 9:34 am |
      • LC

There's no way for you to jump to a conclusions, such as me being self-centered, based off of one comment. Catholicism is as close to Christianity as Mormonism...They are still very different in many ways. Do your research. Thanks.

January 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • johnsullivanmusic

When I read this I wonder, Have you read the Bible? When confronted with the grave violence and depravity of the Bible distinctions like Catholic (who were the first xtians) or protestant make no rational sense. Westboro Baptist Church are Christians who probably literally fllow scripture more than you do, does that make them right? We will get a grip but it will take time. When I say we, i mean me!

January 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  15. SAM

It's interesting how parents speak of the questions their little children have, and because the reality is parents often don't know how to answer those questions of eternal value, the parents either dream up stories that sound good or, in this case, deny that there is a God. Where do you think the questions your little child is asking have come from? Children instinctively know at a very early age about God....until we convince or teach it out of them. The faith of a child.......

January 19, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • Andrew

I always find it amusing how zealots and religion have such a disatrous effect on mankind. Death, hatred and deceit always seem to follow religion and its believers. God ( should he/her/it exist must surely question the outcome of lives and death 'all in the name of God'...Why would love acceptance, forgiveness be replaced by all its opposites? No..sorry folks..all you have done is make God a commodity to be bought and sold to your price and specifications. Mom...just 'teach your children well'..

January 19, 2013 at 9:05 am |
    • JWT

My parents were religious and we all did the church thing but I always knew there was no god.

January 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • JB

Well Said are122!!! Couldn't agree more! As a Christian myself, it is not my place to judge others, but I can't help but feel saddened when I hear stories like this one. I don't judge, I just feel sad.

January 19, 2013 at 9:17 am |
    • JB

JWT...How do you know with 100% certaintly there is no God? I think the main issue isn't God...it's religion. Religion isn't what is important ... it's Relationship with God...that doesn't have to take place in a pew in a church.

January 19, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • JWT

I know internally I have no god. Not being a neurologist or shrink I don;t know how the mind works to come to it's conclusions.You may have one as I have no idea about that.

January 19, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  16. JD

Only thing I'll say is when you find yourself in a lake of burning sulphur, it's too late to change your beliefs. Read the bible and if you can't understand it, get a different version so you can. All the NIV bibles have a clear interpretation on each scripture. I will pray for you also.

January 19, 2013 at 8:50 am |
    • Lemaitre

How do you know the NIV is the best, or even an accurate translation?

January 19, 2013 at 8:55 am |
    • DJensen

Amen JD, Amen.

January 19, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • SAM

JD – Jesus never spoke like this to anyone while he was on earth. Let's love people. I don't think you intend it but, this post is quite hurtful.

January 19, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Morris

A lake of burning sulfur......right....will the easter bunny and santa clause be there with me?

hocus pocus....

January 19, 2013 at 9:01 am |
    • Chris

Yes, fear of a bullying, sadistic god figure is always the best motivation for worship.

January 19, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • sam stone

Get off your knees and try not to be such a whiny little b1tch, JD

January 19, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • DJensen

It's not bullying, and it's not hateful. Look it up for yourselves. The Great White Throne Judgement. Revelation 20, more specifically 20:11 and 20:14. I'd rather be at the Judgement Seat of Christ.

January 19, 2013 at 9:17 am |
    • JWT

Believe or I will hurt you – bullying at its finest. The mark of a worthless version of a fairy tale.

January 19, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • DJensen

You guys, its not a fairy tale. Please, read it for yourselves. No bullying here. Please look – Revelation 20:14 – Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. (This is the second death—the lake of fire.) The first death is when you die and leave this world. And for the unbeliever, the second death is into the lake of fire, for eternity. Forever is a long time. Go check out references. It's the truth.

January 19, 2013 at 9:30 am |
    • visitor

Your prayer is offensive to me. You want to pray? Pray for yourself. Don't pretend your nasty prayer is welcome.

January 19, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • johnsullivanmusic

Religion is one area in our culture where an, otherwise sane, person can behave delusionally and it's alright. If I begged you to believe that Zuess was true because you could get hit by lightening, you would think I was nuts. Because you bought in to a different myth you get worried that we all might face a mythical scenario in a lake of mythical fire. I will think for you you pray for everyone and I'll think for you.

January 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  17. Antonio

I am amazed at you people did you not read this? She was kind and thoughful but most of you are so filled with hate I just think of this in the bible Jesus said not everyone saying lord lord will be saved. Yet you think that by spewing hate you will be saved.

That is why I don't believe in Religion! Too much hate.

January 19, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • Lemaitre

Let me guess, you had your fill of hate growing up?

January 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Faith

I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in God and Jesus Christ. The two are separate and people get them confused. People associate God and Jesus Christ the same as with religion. Religioin does not save mankind, but God and Jesus Christ does. The key is not looking to religiion but looking to Him. A religion is non-transforming but a revealed Christ in a person's life is and much more.

Ms. Mitchell has every right to believe as she have determined. I would just say that believers and non-believers alike must not act like victims. No one is imprisoned to another's belief. Mankind is free to believe as he chooses and everyone has a voice. Just make sure it is the right voice that causes you to make a better decision for your life.

January 19, 2013 at 9:00 am |
    • Mike

Jesus Christ saves mankind? Who told you that? Jesus Christ already!!! Believe what you want....but crazy talk is just crazy talk. Those voices you hear as saviors is your mind thinking and hoping. Ugh!!

January 19, 2013 at 9:08 am |
  18. Itsdark4u

Who cares? Shes all like "i had to lie to my 3 yr old", lol, so she never did the santa thing? Or the easter bunny? How about the tooth fairy? Jesus christ, all you people take EVERYTHING way to far. I tell my 3 yr old crazy stories all the time just for giggles. You bunch of sickos.

No im not religous but i dont see how that makes any difference at all its not a contest.

January 19, 2013 at 8:48 am |
  19. Faith

To all bloggers: The truth of God does not need to be defended. God cannot be explained; He is revealed. The intellect of man cannot grasp Him. He simply asks us to believe in Him by faith, which every person has if it is exercised.

January 19, 2013 at 8:45 am |
    • JD

Amen!

January 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Paul

Well said Faith!

January 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • Mxh

Then why do religious people get so upset when someone talks against religion? Why are there blasphemy laws in much of the world? God should be able to take care of himself.

January 19, 2013 at 8:51 am |
    • snarkjeg

Then why is "god" telling his muslim followers one thing and his christian followers another? Doesn't he know how to communicate. Everyone is so sure that they are the ones that have heard the true voice of god. They can't all be right.

January 19, 2013 at 8:59 am |
    • SM

Faith: Sounds like a lot of really deep wishful thinking without much else. How about simply having faith in Truth instead of made-up fairy tales? Reality will set a person free if they'd just embrace it and not be afraid. There is so much beauty in the world without the delusion of religion getting between us and in the way. Is there a God? The Truth is that no one really knows one way or the other, so why can't we just accept that? People kill each other worldwide, fighting over whose fairy tale is the "correct" one. What good does it do?

January 19, 2013 at 9:06 am |
    • Faith

Mxh, some people do, but I see those people as not having a clear understanding of God and not mature enough in their belief. Some believe that is what believers are supposed to do. That is the farthest thing from the truth. Yes, believers do share God and Jesus Christ, but they should not share religion. When God and Jesus Christ is shared, it should be done in love and not hate. We are not to hate or dislike any person for not believing in God and Jesus Christ.

Snarkjeg, there are many voices in the world today, and not every voice is of God. I look at it this way, God is love. True Love does not hate nor does it murder. My suggestion to you is to spend time praying, and perhaps some of your questions will be answered.

January 19, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • tull310

Wow. Thank you Faith. You made me laugh so hard....then I realized that you are not joking. Still funny though (you should be a stand up comic).

January 19, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  20. R Barr

Godless woman.. shouldn't it be GOD FREE
    I certainly think of myself as FREE from all the BS that the religious cults believe.

January 19, 2013 at 8:44 am |
    • Humanist

Finally! A voice of reason! Thank you R Barr....

January 19, 2013 at 8:56 am |